User Reviews for Diltiazem

Also known as: Cardizem, Cardizem CD, Cardizem LA, Cardizem Monovial, Cardizem SR, Cartia XT, Dilacor XR, Dilt-XR, Diltia XT, Diltiazem Hydrochloride CD, Diltiazem Hydrochloride SR, Diltiazem Hydrochloride XR, Diltiazem Hydrochloride XT, Diltzac, Matzim LA, ...show all 17 brand names

Learn more about Diltiazem.

Diltiazem Rating Summary

7.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 69 medications used in the treatment of Atrial Fibrillation.

Reviews for Diltiazem to treat Atrial Fibrillation

Dilt-XR (diltiazem): "I was diagnosed with Sinus Tachycardia a few years ago. My resting heart rate was usually 130-140. Resting heart rate!! I was put on a medication that made me so tired I could barely function. After a month on that I insisted on switching and they gave me Dilt XR 120mg. I noticed some slowing of my heart rate and absolutely NO side effects. Still my heart rate was running around 100 and would get like hot flashes if I did much moving around, which made work miserable. I have increased my dosage to 360mg and I feel so much better. Pulse is running in the 70s and the hot flashes and sweating have almost gone away."

Sweaty one (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 4, 2016

"Have had intermittent A-Fib for several years, with no needed intervention. Recently began having chest pain and shortness of breath so went to my cardiologist. Was in continuous A-Fib, so he started me on Cardiazem. Worst side effects I have ever experienced. Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, lightheadedness, fell once, profuse sweating, general malaise, just felt horrible. This was after only 3 tablets. No medication changes. Started on Coumadin, and had taken this for years without problems. Called Dr. and med. stopped. Just now beginning to overcome those dreadful side effects. BUT I do recommend this medication for those who can take it. My sister has been on it for years for A-Fib and has done great, only has rare A-Fib"

Eleanor1937 (taken for less than 1 month) June 2, 2016

"breakthrough afib events At first had few side effects, after taking med for 3 mo, physical side effects are occurring. eg physical feeling of weakness, shaky feeling in arms, little more clumsy and less strong legs; tire more eassily with increased cognitive changes eg difficutly retrieving information, names etc"

skbers (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 17, 2016

"180 mg is my friend. When I have an AFIB incident, about 4x per year, I double up the med and I convert soon after. Before I was educated, I ran to the hospital and they gave me cardia in IV form. NO bad side effects at all. Highly recommended"

Vegasgal April 24, 2016

"have been on generic Cardizem since first bout with afib a month ago,,,,,many side effects like ankle swelling,,,,and at waistline,sharp pain stabs in the head,dizziness,blurred vision,,,,,just switched away from generic form and will see if the real deal makes a difference ,,,taking 120 extended dose one daily,,,being hopeful cause no sign of afib since that one time!!"

Hdev (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 4, 2016

Cardizem (diltiazem): "Side effects....hoarseness. No appetite..fatigue...stomach upset. Have been on metropolol which caused shortness of breath. Still trying to find something without so many side effects. "

Mhmtaosnm March 3, 2016

Cardizem (diltiazem): "I have had two episodes of lone a-fib, one 15 yrs ago and one six months ago. For the earlier episode I was placed on Toprol, Digoxin and Warfarin - it was HORRIBLE, I've never felt so sick in my life. This time, I was placed on 240 mg of Diltiazem and Xarelto. I have been on both for six months with the only minor issue being a bit of excess gas, small price to pay to keep the a-fib away."

JA Larson (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 24, 2016

Tiazac (diltiazem): "Hi, I've been taking 240 mg of tiazac every evening for the past 11 years after a trip to the ER at 37 years old. I waited about 2 hours to call the paramedics, but after being unable to climb the stairs I decided to call them. My heartbeat was still well over 200 when I got to the ER. I was lucky to be in good shape because it is well possible my heart would not have held on at that rate for that long. Tiazac works great for me. At first I tried 2 pills per day, but did not work very well. After a few weeks my doctor switched me to long release 240 mg. I'm still with it 11 years later and training for a triathlon in the fall and 25 k next spring. If your conditions allows it, exercise ! and drink decaf. ! (for me at least)"

canuck2016 (taken for 10 years or more) February 16, 2016

"I have been taking Diltiazem for at least 12 years at different dosages. I am now at 360 mg. It has worked wonders for my Afib and blood pressure. I always take it at night become since it makes me tired. My brother started taking it and it has really helped lower his blood pressure."

Nosnowbird - PA October 17, 2015

"Gave me headaches. Didn't fix the A-fib but I'm going in for cardioversion (2nd time) and had the cardioablation so mine apparently is persistent . I like Bystolic better , no side effects. I got the generic since it was covered"

Deland gal (taken for less than 1 month) September 30, 2015

"For years (More like forever) I kept getting diagnosed with panic attacks since by the time I would get to the ER the "episode" had stopped. Last year I had the worst and longest episode I'd ever experienced. By the time I got to the ER my heart rate was still in the 190's. At 41yrs old, I Finally found out it had been A-Fib the last 20 years. Was prescribed Diltiazem (Cardizem) 60mg every 6hrs and I love it! A little bumpy in the beginning. Sensitivity to sunlight and tiredness/dizzy but not bothersome to the point I wanted to stop. After about a week the mild side effects had passed and well, It's just awesome. I highly recommend to help control A-Fib symptoms."

nparks35 (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 9, 2015

"Atrial fibrillation due to chemotherapy. After lisinopril - metroprol and losartan I started on this - AND I LOVED IT - dizzy at first but it worked itself out after few days - heart rate was way to low at first but resolved itself - just as it all worked out and I went for my first bike ride I developed a rash - stomach - back - neck - legs then buttocks so on day 4 I'm stopping. Bummer."

FTCNYC (taken for less than 1 month) March 24, 2015

"I've been taking 180mg timed-release dilt capsules for two years after my 95%-effective catheter ablation for atrial flutter. I still get mild and transient afibs most mornings at 5 a.m. or so. They stop after ten minutes or when i sit up or get up to use the restroom. I think the vagus nerve responds to bladder pressure and sends a wrong signal to the heart to act up. I'm on low dosage by prefernce. Perhaps I'll ask for higher dosage if the transient episodes start to last longer or feel more severe. I can barely feel the "quivering' sensation that afib causes in my chest so I am happy for now."

Navigaiter Meece March 3, 2015

"I think this slows my heart rate down too much and causes the extra beats to be thrown in. I've found that when I'm at rest is when I have the issues. I've gotten a 2nd opinion and was switched to metoprolol. We'll see if that works better. "

Cheesehead in Wisco September 22, 2013

Cardizem CD (diltiazem): "I was happy with medication, as I did not have as many side effect, but on day 17 of taking it, I developed a rash on my stomach, next day chest and lower back, third day neck and face. It was the only thing I was doing differently, so I looked up its side effects. Rash was listed and could occur within 10 to 20 days. It is a Saturday, so as advised online I stopped the medication. I hope this a temporary condition, and I can begin again, or an alternative can be found."

jarc (taken for less than 1 month) July 27, 2013

"I am 60 years old and started taking diltiazem 240mg about 11/20/2012 along with Xarelto 20mg and Sotalol 80mg twice a day after being diagnosed with atrial fibrillation. On 12/21/2012, I had an electrocardioversion that did not cure the atrial fibrillation. Today (1/28/2013), I visited my Cardiologist and my pulse is down to the low 60's, my BP is normal and the irregular heartbeat is under control. He said to discontinue the Xarelto, but to continue with the Diltiazem and Sotalol. He is monitoring my heart for the next 24 hours."

Gene D. (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 28, 2013

Diltiazem Hydrochloride CD (diltiazem): "Excellent control of my atrial fibrillation. Significantly improved my quality of life."

Anonymous March 25, 2012

Cartia XT (diltiazem): "I really like this medicine. Take 180mg in the morning and one in evening. Really it is the right medicine for me. I am not tired at all, but make sure you take it everyday. I stopped for 2 days..felt really bad. I highly recommend this ...do not take any generics..pay the money for the real deal."

RdenicolaJR January 14, 2012

Cardizem CD (diltiazem): "Been on this for over 1 month. AF still happening nearly everyday. May last for 36 hours. I don't think it does any good. I'll see doctor in 12 days. Hope he has something else to try."

Anonymous January 14, 2011

Cardizem (diltiazem): "Taking it for many years with no adverse effects. It's been highly effective."

vivianlinda June 7, 2010

130 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"All I know is that it works."

TammyRi September 8, 2009

Cardizem CD (diltiazem): "I have been on this medicine for two months. I have had one attack since I started. I do feel a little tired and weak but no other side effects."

Anonymous September 4, 2009

Cardizem LA (diltiazem): "Helps my atrial fibrillation. Last ECG was normal."

Anonymous August 24, 2009

Cartia XT (diltiazem): "I was on Cartia XT when they discontinued it. It is the ONLY drug that works for me. There was no warning from CVS either. I went into fibrillation. The doctor put me on four different drugs after that of which none worked. One was too hard and large to swallow, one had food dye and I am allergic, and one made my head ring terribly. Another one is on the way but it is twice a day. Since I also have fibromyalgia, I have to be extra careful. "

photoqueen August 10, 2009

Cardizem (diltiazem): "The only drug that has worked to help me get my Atrial fibrillation under control."

karenwest1961 August 2, 2009

151 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate