User Reviews for Benlysta

Benlysta has an average rating of 7.5 out of 10 from a total of 46 ratings on Drugs.com. 61% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 9% reported a negative effect.

Systemic Lupus Erythematosus
7.5
Summary of Benlysta reviews 7.5 46 reviews

Reviews may be moderated to correct grammar/spelling or remove inappropriate language. Reviews that appear to be created by parties with a vested interest in the medication will not be published.

Reviews for Benlysta

Lina · Taken for 5 to 10 years March 8, 2020

For Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: “I found out that if you inject Benlysta in the stomach is less painful. If you take the medication out of the refrigerator for 4 hours (the med can be as much as 12 hours out after that it has to de disposed) before injection time it will be less painful when the liquid enters in your system. Put the medication away from light hot or cold and then inject. If you are injecting in yourself do it very slowly with the prefill one but not the auto inject. The auto inject will release the med very fast and it's very painful. I been using it for 5 years now. Still have a lot of joint pain but the fatigue, the brain fog and the other symptoms are much better. I hope this info can help and Bless someone.”

Brute · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 13, 2021

For Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: “I'm on the autoinjector form of Benlysta. Unlike all the other reviewers, I don't think the injection is in any way painful. Leave the injector out of the fridge for a couple of hours so it can warm up. Let the alcohol wiped area dry before injecting. I inject in my upper thigh and feel no pain if I've followed my above rules. I've been on Benlysta now for 9 weeks and I'm not feeling a huge improvement but I have been able to get off prednisone. I'm going to give it a full 12 weeks before I get discouraged. My lupus is causing terrible brain fog, fatigue, joint and muscle pain. Blood work is still pretty bad but I'm not giving up just yet. I haven't noticed any side effects.”

Sunshine October 23, 2019

For Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: “I was diagnosed with lupus at 17 years old. I was in excruciating pain, debilitating fatigue and a horrific rash on my face (malar rash as it turned out). Even with a positive ANA (with the pattern suggestive of lupus), a ridiculously high ESR and CRP and my obvious symptoms. The doctors didn’t want to act on my condition. It wasn’t until my treatment for rosacea failed that my dermatologist did a skin biopsy that confirmed my diagnosis. Once on treatment, nothing really worked. I stayed on the Plaquenil (til this date) for fear of coming off even though I don’t get much relief. I’ve been on Benlysta since 2013 and it has changed my life. It’s a miracle drug and I recommend everyone to give it a fair shot. I was skeptical too but it’s completely changed my life and allowed me to live a full life. At time of diagnosis, I couldn’t even dress myself from the debilitating pain.”

Mtbikergal · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 30, 2020

For Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: “I have been on Benlysta for two years and it was helping my Lupus. BUT, recently, it started to give me depression, anxiety, and I thought about ending my life. I ended up in a Psychiatric hospital last week. After that, I started looking into my medications. If you have any history of any mental illness, please be careful!!”

Ren · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 8, 2020

For Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: “I have been on BENLYSTA for about a year now, and it has helped me so much!! I used to be fatigued, I could hardly function, but it has given me some energy back. It also helps the pain so much! I give myself the injection once a week, and I'm with some of you.. it hurts soooo bad. Luckily it's not that long, but it really hurts. I have to psych myself up to do it. I've heard it doesn't hurt as much in the belly, but I cannot bring myself to do it. It's worth the pain though, because it has really helped me!”

Achy one · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 16, 2019

For Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: “I have no problems with giving myself injections but Oh My the medicine that goes in my leg burns soooo bad. I compare it to either multiple bee stings in one spot or just putting a match on my leg. Why does it hurt so bad?? Am I the only one?”

KayeElleBea · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 9, 2021

For Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: “I have SLE and Benlysta has been a lifesaver for me. I have been doing the weekly injections for almost three years and I have not had a single flare since I've been on it. It has also put my Hypocomplementemic Urticaria Vasculitis in remission and has kept it in remission.”

Jalpurnia Trader January 25, 2014

For Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: “I'm a 42 year old African American who has been diagnosed with Lupus for 16 years. I've been taking Benlysta for one year now and notice a big difference in my body. I have more energy before taking the medicine I suffered greatly from fatigue. I feel little to no joint or muscular pain, before the medicine I suffered from severe inflammation and swelling in my joints and could hardly walk some days. I now jog on my treadmill, go to Zumba classes and workout at Curves. The medicine has been a God send for me and I'm so grateful for the opportunity to witness to this great invention. The only downfall is my insurance will only cover 80% which leave me a hefty 800.00 balance each moth. I'm on disability and cannot afford this expense.”

Jojo · Taken for less than 1 month February 12, 2020

For Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: “I have severe SLE, having been diagnosed over 15 yrs ago. I’m currently on plaquinil, steroids and Cell-Cept. I have lived with severe pain in my joins and my spine. I just did my second injection (I inject once per week). Right now, I cannot get out of my own way. I have no energy and no drive to do anything. Having to inject once per week, am I going to feel like this forever or do these symptoms of exhaustion going to get better? I can deal with the headaches and such but this brain fog and lack of energy is really bothersome.”

Strix · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 16, 2019

For Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: “I've had mild to moderate SLE for 17 years; been on plaquenil for most of that time, and for the past 8 years I've been getting a quarterly steroid injection. During that time I'd feel mostly okay joint-wise for two months then start to go downhill until the next injection. Definitely a roller coaster existence. Other treatments (methotrexate, Embrel) didn't help. I started Benlysta about 7 months ago, and the difference in my energy level is astounding. While I'm not my old self, I can at least see a reflection of my old self. It hasn't helped my joint pain much, but I'm able to do regular exercise again. My social life has also picked up because I'm not exhausted after work every day. I get rashes at the injection site (I take the weekly injections), and the shots feel like a wasp sting, but they are worth it.”

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 10, 2019

For Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: “I started the Benlysta infusions in Sept. of 2016 after being diagnosed with SLE (systemic lupus erythematosus) in Sept. of 2015. It took about 8 months for the infusions to work and actually make me feel better and my labs normal. After 1.5 years on infusions I started the self infections at home due to blown veins at each infusion. The only side effect I've had is very consistent weight gain. Since starting my Benlysta journey I've gained 30lbs with no end in sight.”

Deena Marie · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 29, 2018

For Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: “I was on benlysta IV infusions for 9 months and felt very good after my initial three infusions which were every two weeks. I got a very bad headache for the first 24 hours after infusions but after that my joint pain and fatigue improved immensely. Two months ago the infusion nurse was not able to start my IV & recommended that I go on benlysta subcutaneously. I was told by my insurance company, which is Medicare, that because they could not get an IV in me this would be fully covered. Much to my Devastation and shock I found out that this was not covered and the cost is $1,158 per month. This is outrageous and more than what my SSDI payment is per month! In addition, cost aside, the injection is extremely painful. It's almost impossible to give the full amount because of how painful it is. My thigh burns all day after giving my self the autoinjection and is bruised and feels like I've been punched for about 5 days later. I don't feel the same relief that I felt with IV.”

Bon37 October 27, 2016

For Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: “I was diagnosed with Lupus (SLE) in 1984, when I was 19 years old. I have fought it with other medications (Plaquenil, steroids, etc.) my whole life, but always living with the symptoms. My ANA Titer counts had never got below 640, and there were times when it was out the roof (when it should be less than 40); and of course, the higher it got, the stronger my symptoms became. At the time I started Benlysta, my ANA was at 680. After over 2 years on the infusions, my ANA has been registering 39 and 40 - nearly normal. My symptoms are all but gone, I function at a much higher level. Other than an occasional slight "icky" feeling after the injections, I've had no side effects that I am aware of being attributable to Benlysta.”

Doxie · Taken for 5 to 10 years August 22, 2018

For Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: “I have been on Benlysta for almost 7 years. It has been a great drug for me. It helped tremendously with my joint pain and fatigue although I still feel tired , might be my age of 68. I have heart involvement with my Lupus and the drug has kept down the inflammation in my coronary arteries.”

rnapier311 · Taken for 5 to 10 years April 14, 2021

For Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: “I had been on Benlysta Infusions for years, then switched to the weekly injections. I do feel a little better but not much. I suffer from depression/ADHD and for the past 2 years my depression medication isn't working. I had sepsis last year and had to have surgery. Unfortunately, I still feel bad physically and mentally. I don't know what to do at this point.”

ToniJohnson April 14, 2015

For Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: “I have suffered from lupus for 4 years now. I started Benlysta a little over a year ago and what a difference. I could barely walk or get out of bed before treatments. My feet and knees would swell with no relief. Since I started Benylsta I am getting my life back on track, I can now walk, run and exercise regularly. I have had few severe flares. I would recommend this drug to anyone. It is expensive I started out in a trial then I was lucky enough to get a grant that now pays for my treatments.”

Muffinandme · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 22, 2020

For Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: “I started with infusions. Never had a bad experience. My body felt cooler inside. I switched to AI (auto injector)for convenience. Same thing. I feel good. My bloodwork looks totally normal. After years with a positive ANA, this last test showed negative. My inflammation markers were normal. I really surprised. No side effects. My insurance will not pay for auto injections this year so I’m going back to infusions. I still have bad fatigue but I also have Psa, plaque psoriasis, Celiac, Hashimoto’s, and primary hyperparathyroidism. Oh I have sicca syndrome or Sjogrens. I believe the Hashimoto’s is causing my issues. Overall, great experience but it’s ridiculously expensive.”

PAC1016 · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 25, 2020

For Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: “I have been on Benlysta almost 4 years and it has worked great for my Systemic Lupus Erythematosus. Before that I was taking hydroxychloroquine which made me so nauseous and stomach cramps that I had to stop taking it. Benlysta is very well tolerated, just very fatigued the next day. The first infusion really hit me hard with flare up symptoms but then I got so much better after that . No longer need wheelchair . Only need walker if I overdo it . The swollen painful joints are gone, the energy significantly improved (unless I overdo it). I am still careful to respect my physical limits and avoid my triggers .”

Deb c · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 27, 2020

For Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: “The Benlysta subq injections are so painful to me that every time I auto inject I’m not able to hold the needle in place and take it out before my countdown is supposed to end. Therefore, I would say I am not receiving 2/3 of the injection. No I don’t want to get monthly infusions at this time. I hope in the future alternatives are available or the prefilled injectors are made to deliver a less painful Experience.”

Emeraldheart · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 26, 2019

For Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: “For me benlysta has saved my sanity. My lupus causes mini strokes. Before benlysta my mini strokes were at least once a week lasting upwards of 15 minutes each. Since starting benlysta my mini strokes are down to max of twice a month last at most a minute. I did have a port put in and started receiving my infusions that way instead of being stuck every month. Best decision yet. I don't have to worry anymore about hitting my vein the first time. I have never had a side effect. The only thing that a person would consider based is the next couple days after treatment I am weak. Which to me is a small sacrifice compared to the positive of this treatment. Now for insurance I have Medicare and a medigap. So I never paid out of pocket. Not even for the port to be put in.”

Sashapot April 22, 2016

For Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: “HI, I have just had my fourth infusion of Benlysta. My feelings on this drug are mixed so far. I really hate the thought of pumping something into my veins that may or may not damage some other part of my body or kill me; but sometimes you have to get past your fears and pray for the best outcome. I've heard that a positive outlook can be 80% of the healing process. I was diagnosed with SLE in 2002. I started on plaquenil and steriods. Over the years I have been on medications that were later recalled due to multiple deaths. That really makes you think and feel as though you are the drug company's guinea pig. We will see what the next few treatments do and I'll update this review. So far no adverse side effects.”

GERDed · Taken for less than 1 month September 13, 2012

For Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: “First infusion - experienced swelling everywhere (inside and out), two days after infusion. Day 1 had a migraine like headache (Light sensitivity), fatigue, some heart rhythm issue (temporary) and temporary voice changes. I was pre-dosed with Tylenol. Second infusion - pre dosed with Benadryl and solumedrol, very slight swelling, headaches coming on now (I was told: Literature says these headaches will improve with subsequent infusions), less heart involvement, I tried to sleep through most of the infusion time (1 1/2 - 2 hours with prep). I was blessed to be accepted by the HEALTHWELL FOUNDATION where I applied for co-pay assistance. ”

Fla Lisa November 16, 2017

For Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: “I’ve been on the Benlysta infusion for almost 2 years with great success. During this time I’ve been able to stop taking prednisone and reduced my Vicodin for breakthrough. This month is my first on the new Sub Q injection and I’m dying. First it took awhile to get approved via insurance. I️ started these “behind” in pain and after 3 weeks I’m no better. I️ plan on discussing with my Dr in the next week or two. So my rating is for the infusion NOT the weekly injection.”

Tamara1987 November 16, 2015

For Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: “I have battled Lupus since 2009. Went into remission and had a flare 2012. MY doctors have tried everything and finally talked to me about benlysta. I was very skeptical more then anything afraid of what this will do to my body. I have been on benlysta now for 1 year. I have no joint pain at all my blood tests are improving. Unfortunately there are side effects of the actual drug...My heart has randomly started beating insanely that I went to the emergency twice, they say I am fine and send me home, end of May this year I have started feeling this lightheaded feeling in my head and to this day don't feel normal..I had dizzy spells when going to bed where I would jump up and be out of breath.”

Diane Cheryl May 3, 2016

For Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: “I have been on Benlysta for seven months now and it's really helping with the fatigue. I finally feel like I can get up and do something on my days off of work. I'm in the medical field and really don't want to end my career yet. As far as the joint and muscle pain it's still there unfortunately. Maybe it will get better soon.”