User Reviews for Dexamethasone

Also known as: Dexamethasone Intensol, Dxevo, HiDex, Dexpak Taperpak, TaperDex, De-Sone LA, ZoDex

Dermatitis Herpetiformis

1 review 354 medications
Summary of Dexamethasone reviews 6.6 82 reviews

Reviews for Dexamethasone

Edema Girl · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 6, 2019

For Inflammatory Conditions: "Had used prednisone for something else and felt brand new, compared to how I normally felt after 12 years of chemo, surgeries, radiation from (Ovarian cancer) OVCA. Asked doc and she agreed to this particular steroid. I started taking it twice daily... Felt great. Strong. But after a month or so, that stopped. Then I suddenly started being unable to pull my body up if crouching down and would get stuck needing help up. Pretty soon I couldn't get up off toilet. Feet so heavy. Then, my ankles swelled. Then my feet and calves. I have become a cripple, every step hurts, coughing, spine condition worsened. I can't do much of anything. I have to stop and rest in between, say, my kitchen and living room. Between every room! Weaning myself off."

Jessa · Taken for less than 1 month September 4, 2019

Decadron (dexamethasone) for Inflammatory Conditions: "Was given Decadron Shot in ER for a severe Sinus Infection and Upper Respiratory Infection..I have had a severe migraine for 2 solid days! NOTHING will ease the headache. I will never have or take Decadron again!"

Quando62 · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 23, 2019

For Plaque Psoriasis: "Doctor said in 20 years she never saw Plaque Psoriasis as bad as mine, I looked like a breakout of the measles or something. So after 8 mg first day, in 30 minutes started feeling better, 3 days later clear skin.... haven't taken for a week and no flare returned. Picking up my script today taking 2mg 2 times a week and a week off to be mild on the body."

Quando62 · Taken for less than 1 month July 21, 2019

For Psoriatic Arthritis: "5 years un-diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis and just about gave up, no energy, so stiff could not walk across a room. Had plaque scales covered on my entire body. Started this med, first day stiffness began leaving, energy boosted, took for one week and felt 40 years younger. Went from working in yard 3 hours a year to 30 in one week..... Keep some on hand to take a week here and there along with my MTX med for Arthritis."

happynana · Taken for less than 1 month June 14, 2019

For Inflammatory Conditions: "Just finished a dexamethasone 8 day tapered dose for pain associated with a spinal cyst. It has given me my life back for those eight days, with the only side effect being wide awake at 3am. But at least I was wide awake without pain, as opposed to being wide awake and in pain. Hoping the effect lasts for a while, as I am on a three month wait list for surgery in "the best medical care system in the world", bwahaha."

Ali · Taken for less than 1 month March 31, 2019

For Addison's Disease: "I had a lot of trouble getting my levels stable with Hydrocortisone and Prednisone. On both I felt terrible. Dexamethasone makes me feel normal again, even with my Addison's disease , like a fully functioning human!!!!"

Swappy · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 30, 2019

For Atopic Dermatitis: "Its good, relieves itching and got me close to normal feeling."

Heidi RN January 10, 2019

Decadron (dexamethasone) for Allergic Rhinitis: "This drug was given to me for an anaphylaxis reaction I had from an antibiotic. I was admitted so It was given IV then by mouth to wean. I am a nurse and was blown away! I was put in drug induced psychosis on this med. I was on it about 3 weeks from 6mg down to 1mg. I was 302 initiated at the nearest ER. I passed out from sleep deprivation and thus drug changed my life for good. It's not worth It! It mimicked bipolar symptoms. I NEVER had this before! BEWARE!"

pilarp2018 · Taken for less than 1 month November 4, 2018

For Inflammatory Conditions: "I just received a 10mg injection of this at the E.R. for a really bad sinus infection, laryngitis and an upper respiratory infection that I have had for over a month. The shot itself was extremely painful. I have a pretty high tolerance for pain, but this hurt for hours to the point where I couldn't sit down. The side effects began to kick in within an hour. I went from feeling calm and relaxed to feeling EXTREMELY anxious (No, I do not battle anxiety or depression). I felt jittery, I kept dropping things, and began crying from feeling so overwhelmed (not like me). I know it was this injection. My heart began racing very, very fast!! I don't think I will take this again."

Berta · Taken for less than 1 month September 14, 2018

For Inflammatory Conditions: "2x in a year I've had acute sinus infections, 1st was a blocked sinus pathway due to inflammation & was given 2 z-packs a month apart & got worse with secondary bronchitis. The third month was given 10 mg dexamethasone muscular injection & I began feeling better within 30 min. I was normal for about 5 months. 2nd had inflammation in my tear ducts & had allergic conjunctivitis that doesn't manifest the same as viral or bacterial. After a month of my eyes tearing without a cause, it turned to sore throat because I didn't know I had pink eye. I was then treated with a z-pack & bacterial drops for eyes. Eyes, nose, throat & breathing became worse the next few days. On the third day I went back & was prescribed eye drops for inflammation, & 10 mg IM dexamethasone. Within an hour I was feeling so much better, & now my eyes have gone from pink, to moderately blood shot, to mild to moderate blood shot eyes, sore throat gone, & a slight cough without fire in my throat."

neo · Taken for less than 1 month September 10, 2018

For Eczema: "I was admitted for a nasal surgery, but the doctor gave me dexamethasone 0.5mg to prevent allergies. My eczema disappeared & I feel better. I did some research on this prescription, it is a kind of steroid & you cannot take it usually or daily. Better to consult with a doctor. But I would love to take it if I have better information & with doctor consultation."

Samoth August 30, 2018

For Cerebral Edema: "I was put Dexamethasone to treat Cerebral Venous Sinus Thrombosis aka blood clots in my brain. It was prescribed to reduce inflammation in my brain. I was put on such a high dose that I shook like a leaf in the wind. I felt like I was jittering inside of my body. I took my doses 4 times a day for 8+ weeks before we began to taper down from the stuff. I was on it for 12 weeks in total. I ended up putting on 80 pounds of water weight. My face was so swollen that I couldn't see more than a foot in front of me through my blurry slits for eyes. I slept maybe 3-4 hours a night if I was lucky. I dripped with the cold sweats, literally. I ended up on water pills, along with 9 other medications. It took at least 6 months, and out patient therapy to recover from depression side effects. My body has never fully recovered from this medication. I have had issues including a buffalo hump and some bone loss. Spare yourself the pain and trauma."

Ryan · Taken for less than 1 month July 31, 2018

Decadron (dexamethasone) for Allergic Rhinitis: "This drug is terrible, I am an athlete/coach and have always been a very upbeat/motivated person. I got into a hornets nest and they gave me a shot of this instead of benadryl, I experienced weeks of the worst mood swings of my life, my heart stayed racing so hard I thought I was having a heart attack at times, and I dropped from 160lbs to 145lbs and couldn't stop eating anything in sight. Afterwards I experienced depression/fatigue beyond what I ever thought I could go through that took about 3 months to fully recover from. The migraines were terrible as well. I'm writing this because a friend just stopped by to ask about my experience, he had an allergic reaction and they gave him the same decadron shot. He went through almost identical symptoms. Try your best to avoid this stuff, the side effects aren't worth the benefits."

Ankit · Taken for less than 1 month July 2, 2018

For Inflammatory Conditions: "I have familial hemiplegic migraine and my body did not respond well to any other drug then I used this dexamethasone and it worked like a miracle. For 4 months I did not get any headaches"

MJ · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 14, 2018

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I hated being on this drug. But my rheumatologist insisted. I was compliant for almost three months. During that time I became very irritable and depressed. My appetite surged, and I gained almost 20 lbs during that time. I completely lost interest in sex. I was often weak and tired. And I did not notice much change in my RA symptoms. Simply put, I was no longer myself. I returned to the doctor with my concerns. She actually wanted to increase the dosage! She is no longer my doctor. I am off Dexamethasone for about six weeks now. I am feeling much better emotionally. I am off most of my RA meds since I contracted kidney disease because of them. I see a new doctor in August. But for now I am trying a more holistic approach. So far so good."

J · Taken for less than 1 month March 27, 2018

For Inflammatory Conditions: "Terrible side effects told doc I refuse to take this seems doctors are pushing steroids over opiates to control people with legit pain. I have pain from brain tumor surgery. I smell a bug with pharma and gov involved here. I may have to change doctor if no change in my treatment is reached."

Anonymous February 4, 2018

For Inflammatory Conditions: "Inflammation caused by using antibiotics. But have the side effects of weight increase and moon face."

Min89 January 23, 2018

For Idiopathic Thrombocytopenic Purpura: "I took 10mg/4 days which is recommended to anyone with ITP. I had side affects for almost a whole week I had a bloody nose off and on the whole time my vision changed couldn't drive and made me sleep a lot and a day after being off of it I had pain from my jaw all the way down to my butt. I couldn't move without feeling like I was going to break. The worst part of it all was when I told my doctor and they said it was not from the medication when it was. I didn't take any other prescription or non prescription drugs. It only made my platelets doubled in numbers and then dropped very fast."

Harish Murghai · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 5, 2018

For Inflammatory Conditions: "There was consistent fever, weakness and lack of appetite after the Liver HCC post TACE procedure. This drug helped in overcoming all these problems and increased the diet intake which also helped in increasing weight. Initial dosage was 2mg gradually reducing to 1mg. After a month when I reduced the dosage to 0.5 mg, fever and weakness returned and appetite also reduced slightly...therefore was again forced to go back to 1mg daily dosage which brought back some normality."

jennstokes · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 6, 2017

Decadron (dexamethasone) for Addison's Disease: "Longer acting steroid option. Gained weight and anxiety."

Larissa rep June 19, 2017

For Plaque Psoriasis: "Started the take this medicine for a tongue condition (Geographical tongue). I read it lowers my immune system and it definitely does. I only have one more day of it thank goodness. I feel horrible. My head hurts, my eyes are watery, & I constantly feel achey. I don't really see a difference in my tongue either. Just want to be off this medicine! Let's hope the withdrawals aren't bad either."

kivuvu83 · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 10, 2017

For Inflammatory Conditions: "Every time my migraines get bad enough that I end up at the ER or my back is aching from a fall (3 back surgeries), the doctors end up giving me an IV shot of this. It does work with the cocktail of meds to help calm my migraine but when it is first pushed into the IV please warn the nurse to dilute it and push it VERY SLOW as it makes your body feel like it is literally tingling on FIRE, especially your private parts. My friends call it the "crotch burner"."

Ms kid May 1, 2017

Decadron (dexamethasone) for Inflammatory Conditions: "I have MS and bad back some times I had save this for a time that the doctor wasn't helping out enough. My left leg started to hurt from butt to my angle . Was taking hydrocodacetam. Eating 3 at a time ,wasn't doing enough . Started taking decadron pain level drop a lot but you need to make sure that your eating food with them . Had no side affects! Wish I had more ! Going to ask Doctor ."

Nstig8r1123 · Taken for less than 1 month April 27, 2017

For Idiopathic Thrombocytopenic Purpura: "My platelet count went down to 15k; doctor prescribed this med. Took 10, 4mg, pills in the morning for 4 days then stopped. CBC Platelet count went up to 90k. However for the 5 days that followed; I was in utter pain. Extreme abdominal pain, voice was hoarse, felt like my throat was on fire, headache and sensitivity to light, and the worse was the abdominal bloat. I couldn't move with it being laborious and having shortness of breath. Not a pill I would ever take again. A week later, CBC Platelets were back down to 15k. I can live with that."

Sis Kim April 26, 2017

For Inflammatory Conditions: "My IVF doctor prescribed this to me prior to supposedly help with the embryo transfer. I started having painful sensation and redness in a few days, went to ER, they called it mild induration that progressed to cellulitis (now a bump in belly button). On bed rest for almost 3 weeks now, excruciating pain. I missed my scheduled transfer because of this. Currently taking clindamycin to clear infection."

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)