User Reviews for Otezla

Otezla has an average rating of 5.1 out of 10 from a total of 371 ratings on Drugs.com. 34% of those users who reviewed Otezla reported a positive effect, while 41% reported a negative effect.

Plaque Psoriasis
5.1
Psoriatic Arthritis
Behcet's Disease
4.6
Summary of Otezla reviews 5.1 371 reviews

Reviews for Otezla

Jbuchalter · Taken for less than 1 month May 19, 2021

For Psoriatic Arthritis: “I started taking Otezla last week I have had severe diarrhea , vomiting , headache and mild dizziness. My Dr.told me to wait til All symptoms disappear then start with one pill and see. I don’t know how I’m going to tolerate this drug”

Bepo · Taken for less than 1 month May 18, 2021

For Psoriatic Arthritis: “I have both psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis. I am typing this on my phone at 6 am. Normally my hand and elbow hurt too badly first thing in the morning to even hold a coffee mug but I am on day 6 of Otezla and have woken up pain free for the first time in a year! I had violent diarrhea on days 2 through 4, along with an annoying headache but both of those went away yesterday. Hopefully this is the beginning of a pain free way of life. Too soon to know. I did feel compelled to share because some reviews are very scary. From the short time I've taken Otezla, I can tell that it is best taken on a full stomach. I think I can handle a little nausea from time to time if it means pain free living. My psoriasis is already getting better too. Good luck to all.”

Trumpetgirl · Taken for less than 1 month April 19, 2021

For Psoriatic Arthritis: “I have been on Otezla for 3 weeks for psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis. It started out ok, but then I became nauseous, couldn't eat, had diarrhea, but I was managing. Then my joints got worse and worse, I couldn't move. The final straw was I took an evening dose and severely began vomiting. I stopped taking it and called the doctor. I have been without it almost 48 hours and while my stomach is still a little queazy, I'm not nearly as sore and don't feel miserable. 90% of my symptoms came on as a result of this medication, it might have helped a little with my plaque psoriasis, but not enough to keep feeling miserable. We are looking into a new treatment.”

Wt · Taken for less than 1 month June 6, 2020

For Plaque Psoriasis: “I have been on Otezla for 22 days for plaque psoriasis, I have been nauseous, had diarrhea, severe headaches and muscle aches with my legs, lower back and neck! Not able to sleep at night even with sleeping pills and using heating pad! I have missed several days of work. I decided today to go off the medication, I don’t feel I can tolerate the side effects. I don’t feel the psoriasis has improved that much. Not worth feeling rubbish like I am feeling!”

J · Taken for less than 1 month May 4, 2020

For Plaque Psoriasis: “Suffered with Psoriasis for 13 years and I’m only 23. Literally got it when I was 10 & nothing worked for me. I already started to see results with Otezla within 1 week and now after 3 weeks I’m literally 95% cured. I’m beyond happy & I was told I wouldn’t see results for 3 months, but with me this worked IMMEDIATELY. I got intense migraines with this medicine the first 2 weeks. I’m on week 4 and the one symptom that hasn’t went away is the nausea, but it only lasts an hour after taking it... and to me it’s so worth it.”

Anonymous March 25, 2021

For Psoriatic Arthritis: “Hi. I just need someone to know that Otezla changed my husband's mood from pleasant to hostile. At first I just thought he was getting older and moodier. Then I asked him if he was taking something--he was--Otezla. But he has terrible psoriatic arthritis and wouldn't go off the drug, so I started to deal with it, knowing that saying the simplest thing like, 'pass the salt' could cause a war. Flash forward a year, and his Otezla is no longer covered. It's a miracle. This loss of benefits is a gift from God to me He's back to his old self. He's pleasant, and kind and wakes up like a human being should, not an angry, hungry black bear. The f-bombs have gone from about 100 a day to zero. I've heard this can happen to 2% of the people who use Otezla. In this case, Otezla could have destroyed our marriage. I hope I help someone. And I hope I don't deter someone who is helped by Otezla. God bless.”

megatecmw · Taken for less than 1 month October 24, 2019

For Plaque Psoriasis: “I must say, I was disillusioned by the reviews I had seen on this site and others. I am glad I went with my doctors advice. I developed guttate psoriasis a year ago. It nearly covered all of my legs, feet, torso (front and back, and upper arms. I have not yet finished the two starter kits given to me by the doctor. So, after 24 days (15 days at full dosage) I have had no side effects and am 90% clear. The cream therapy that I started with a year ago had very little affect. Otezla has been amazing.”

RS44 · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 13, 2015

For Plaque Psoriasis: “I have severe plaque psoriasis and in just 3 months it is like night and day with just a trace of it left. it is not a shot just 2 pills a day. I fell 99 better at this time. Much clearer then I was with Embrel. I gave it a 9 only because there is always something they will improve on but I am very happy with it.”

SoulSurferMike · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 20, 2019

For Psoriatic Arthritis: “In late February/early March my upper legs broke out with skin psoriasis while recovering from an ankle surgery. The dermatologist gave me a steroidal cream that took care of about 80% of the breakout in 4-8 weeks. I then experienced mild joint and leg pains staring in June. It was recommended that I see a Rheumatologist. Her recommendation was to see if my insurance covered all or part of a script for Otezla. I was in lucked and my Otezla script was covered 100%. I started taking it in August and Otezla has knocked out almost all of the morning stiffness in my legs and any joint pains. I'm currently experiencing almost no side effects. After reading some of the other reviews. I hope I'm not jinxing myself. I will update the board should there be any big changes.”

31yo · Taken for less than 1 month March 3, 2020

For Plaque Psoriasis: “This is the first serious health issue I’ve ever had. Never had surgery or anything like that and I’m an extremely active person. Was very scared to take the drug because of all the bad things I read, but then I figured that the only people that write reviews are people that experience bad side effects. Been on a Otezla for three weeks have experienced zero side effects whatsoever but have also experienced zero relief. Psoriasis is still getting worse. Will post another update in the next 10 weeks. I don’t like taking mediation ever, not even when I have a cold. So if this doesn’t work I will probably try a hardcore crash diet. My derm suggested to try gluten free and diary free. Note: I did phototherapy for 3 months and got complete remission, but when I was diagnosed with PsA we decided I needed to address that. Hope this helps anyone seeking help.”

Kgirl February 19, 2020

For Plaque Psoriasis: “I've been on Otezla for 3 months. Psoriasis cleared up within a month. Experienced weight loss, headaches (for the first few days) and diarrhea (for about a week) . Overall for me it's worth the side effects especially since they go away over time.”

Sandy · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 10, 2019

For Psoriatic Arthritis: “I have been taking Otezla for over 2 years (with zero copay) and several times I thought about stopping, but only because I would forget about the severe pain I had before when attempting to straighten my fingers. I never could straighten my fingers and the pain was always there regardless. I was 57 when I started and it did take time to be able to completely straighten my fingers with no pain. When being tested prior to taking a medication for PA, I was found to have latent TB. The TB medication slowed down the effectiveness of Ortezla, but if it wasn't for Otezla I wouldn't be able to take anything. Also, because of PA I had chronic plantar fasciitis for 3+ years. Now I can walk with minimal pain. I have a couple more autoimmune disorders which may mask the true results of Otezla, so I may have improved more than I know. I did get sick for the first 2 weeks and it went away. I am grateful that Otezla exists and I would never tell anyone not to try it.”

JANJ · Taken for less than 1 month October 30, 2019

For Plaque Psoriasis: “I have been dealing with psoriasis for about 4 years now (started getting it at 38) and was considered "mild" so my previous derm only prescribed creams/ointments. My condition worsened and just this month I started seeing a new derm. She diagnosed me as "moderate" and did not think injections were right for me and prescribed Otezla as well as another cream. It's been 1 week today and so far I am extremely happy. The redness is starting to fade, I am no longer itchy and uncomfortable. I will admit I was a little freaked out about the side effects that people were experiencing and I have not had any so far. Remember, everyone is different and will respond how their body wants to. I'm positive that this will work for me as I am desperate to get my self esteem back and not have to cover up or hide any more! Good luck to all who are starting this treatment.”

davegerard · Taken for less than 1 month April 16, 2018

For Psoriatic Arthritis: “I am considering Otezla for my Psoriatic Arthritis, but after reading these reviews I wanted to share something that some of you may find helpful. There is a book entitled "The Great Arthritis Breakthrough" in which the author cites several studies that have attributed many cases of arthritis to bacteria and tests confirmed that a daily low dose of Minocycline antibiotic fended off the arthritis. I tried this regimen and found that it did work great for arthritis, however it did nothing for the Psoriasis. But seriously, if you are in pain like I was, this is worth it. I took Minocycline for about 2 years and then stopped and have have been off of it for two years now. I am only now starting to have a little inflammation in my right middle finger. Anyway, I wanted to share this in case others might find it useful.”

MLCAN · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 27, 2016

For Psoriatic Arthritis: “I have been taking this medication for a little over 2 months for scalp psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis. I have been lucky and experienced no adverse side effects except for several minutes of minor nausea during the first week or so of beginning it. My scalp cleared almost completely within 2-3 weeks. The itchiness is gone as well. The swelling in my hands has decreased about 20 to 25 percent and I am hoping for more as I reach the 4 to 5 month mark. I was able to remove a ring that I was sure would need to be cut off. I also have had no other side effects that others have reportedsuch as mood changes, headache, diarrhea, etc. I want others to know about good experiences so they won't be scared off. I will report back soon.”

Jimb0s · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 28, 2019

For Plaque Psoriasis: “Spontaneous remission! Well, almost. I have the pictures to prove it. Within a few weeks I went from worst in my 55 years of Psoriasis to overwhelming success. Once I made it through diarrhea I am stellar. I have next to nothing now. Okay, every once in a while I need a steroid on my butt crack and one stray dot here and there on a leg. One weird thing is because I had such bad P everywhere I never knew I also have Vitiligo, who would have guessed. I wish everyone would get my results. Thanks Otezla!!”

Liza · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 19, 2018

For Psoriatic Arthritis: “My dr put me on Otezla for psoriatic arthritis over a year ago. The results were absolutely amazing! I had terrible itchy, scaly patches on my scalp and all in and outside of my ears. Also had a lot of joint pain. This drug eliminated all of that PLUS I lost 45 lbs. Now, it did cause diarrhea, but it wasn't unmanageable. I felt better than I have felt in years. I was lucky at that time to get this for a zero co-pay and stayed on it for a year. Unfortunately, I went on medicare this year and am no longer eligible for the zero copay and now my co-pay will be over $1,200/month, which I cannot possibly afford. I am heartbroken and all broken out again after getting off of it (plus gaining some of the weight back). I wish the drug manufacturer could somehow reduce the cost so it would be more affordable. Hopefully as time goes by, they will. But, if you can get it, please try it. I know you will be pleased.”

Sad and sore · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 20, 2015

For Plaque Psoriasis: “I have tried otezla twice the first time it cause horrible stomach pain and I had to discontinue it after three weeks. It worked miracles for my skin though almost all clear. I went to GI to get something to counteract the otezla. Went back on it and after two months on it I started having really bad panic attacks. I am not a panic person and have never had anxiety it got so bad I had to stop the pills. However be warned you can not just stop the pills you have to slowly decrease the dose the same way you have to increase in the beginning. I was not told this and ended up in the ER.”

Grace · Taken for less than 1 month January 21, 2020

For Psoriatic Arthritis: “I began with two starter kits so I can double the time to gradually get to 30 mg twice a day. I hate it! Pain went from a 5 to a 9 within a day or two of starting. Severe back pain all over, hip pain, tightness around my ribs, and joint pains come and go places I didn’t have problems with prior to Otzela. I'm experiencing vomiting, diarrhea terrible gerd started two days ago, thought I was having a mini heart attack my blood pressure jumps high all of a sudden. First day or two became extremely weak. That’s a bit better. I am not convinced I even need to be on this but my rheumatologist recommened it because I’m 47 and have had scalp psoriasis since I was 16. ( guttate covered my body for months until methotrexate saved me!! I also have severe back injuries. He thinks it will prevent bone erosion in my spine that he explained happens with this autoimmune disease. But honestly, I want to quit...when the future hits I can deal with that then... what do you think?”

Trish L. · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 6, 2015

For Plaque Psoriasis: “I have been on this medication for about 6 weeks and it is absolutely amazing. My legs have completely clear. The only sign of my plaque psoriasis is the hyper pigmentation and slowly but surely that is going away as well. I no longer itch either. All of my family and friends have noticed that drastic change in my skin. I even wore a dress for the first time in 4 years today. I could go on forever. Of course everyone's body is different, please keep this in mind.”

Crystalllllllllllll July 11, 2015

For Plaque Psoriasis: “I have been on Otezla for 10 weeks. I went from having plaques on the majority of my entire body, to having none at all by week 5. This week I had a flare up. And I am feeling really nauseuas this week. I am happy with the results so far Considering I have had this condition for 20 years and have never been so clear.”

DJ in Dover · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 5, 2015

For Plaque Psoriasis: “I began this medication with a 28 day starter pack and transitioned from there. The first month my side effects were like "WHOA" (headache, nausea, gastic distress of epic proportions!) pretty much hell on earth. HOWEVER, here I am 5 months later and for the first time in my life I am completely clear. There is not a plaque to be seen or felt. No itching, no flaking, no cracking! If you're new to this med; don't give up. It gets better!! I'm 5 months into now and I don't have any of the side effects any longer.”

Jord W July 30, 2015

For Plaque Psoriasis: “I have had severe plaque psoriasis on my scalp for 5 years and up until this medication literally nothing had helped me. I did every topical, several drugs and even a uv light to treat it. Once it spread to my body I had had enough and was put on this medication. It has almost cleared up my psoriasis completely, and it works fast. However the side effects for me have been horrific. I am terribly nausous and have diahrea literally every time I take it, this subsides within the hour and I can carry on with my day. Yes it's horrible and I've considered stopping the medication; however the fact that I haven't should be proof of just how well it works.”

DrAM · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 18, 2020

For Behcet's Disease: “I have Behcet's Disease and havebeen on Otezla for 5 months & have had zero (0!) ulcers. Had little red irritated areas, but didn’t ulcerate & healed in 1 day. Before Otezla, I had ulcers on a continual basis. All other symptoms are absent or reduced dramatically in intensity &/or duration: joint pain/numbness/tingling/headaches/red eyes/Raynaud's/insomnia/brain fog/general achiness/dry-blurry eyes/purpura. My skin heals normally now, rather than having a pathergy reaction occur (turning purple & taking a very long time to resolve). Only side effect: nausea if taken with water or juice. Otezla 2x/day with milk = no nausea. No weight gain/loss, & headaches are gone. Did not feel sad/cry while dosing up or since being on full dosage. If you're hesitant, try it. I read these reviews, & I was skeptical. However, I hope I never have to stop taking it. I am almost completely normal again, & the rare flare-ups are extremely dampened compared to what I was dealing with before. With the co-pay program, I pay $0.”

Irishguy · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 31, 2020

For Plaque Psoriasis: “Was on vacation and developed a rash on legs. I knew my guttate psoriasis had returned. It had been about 20 years since my last episode. Psoriasis was on my legs, trunk and arms. Derm advised me of otezla and began treatment. After two weeks my skin was clear and no side effects. Very pleased with med.”

Harry January 9, 2020

For Plaque Psoriasis: “The percentages here are pretty close to what the clinical trials have shown. Only about 30-35% of people get to 75% clear. That's roughly the same percentage of people who gave a 7 or higher review. But the severity of some of the side effects are certainly concerning, as is the development of even worse psoriasis when the drug is stopped (and sometimes before). At best, it is a tricky cost/benefit call. Mainly comes down to whether someone is feeling lucky! Or not.”

Jane · Taken for less than 1 month December 25, 2019

For Psoriatic Arthritis: “I did read reviews before starting otezla, and was scared of the adverse reaction mentioned in almost every review. I am taking otezla for a month now. I do not see any changes in my psoriasis yet, but I don't have nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. Just mild headache, manageable. A couple of nights light insomnia, but it went away in a week. I am keep going, will see how it works.”

Mean Joe · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 4, 2015

For Plaque Psoriasis: “This medicine began to work almost immediately. Mostly clear now except for a few spots. First time like this in 35 years. Only side effects have been bathroom visits are 2-3 a day now, loose stool. No Nausea or anything else.”