User Reviews for Otezla

Plaque Psoriasis
5.3

Summary of Otezla reviews 5.3 289 reviews

Reviews for Otezla

For Psoriatic Arthritis "Just started taking Otezla on March 20th. I started out with the low dosage and I am now currently at 30mg twice a day. In 6 days, I have lost 4 pounds, mainly from the diarrhea and have had some headaches however I will keep going with this as I am waking up with no stiffness or pain from the Psoriatic Arthritis which is a huge bonus. The only thing I really need to watch is the insomnia. Last night was not a good night for me as I tossed and turned all night but that very well could be from the Prednisone I am also taking, but only for another week or so. I am hopeful Otezla will continue to work for me because I refuse to take Biologics that my doctor wanted to put me on."

CGK1967 (taken for less than 1 month) March 25, 2019

For Plaque Psoriasis "I have psoriasis on my soles of feet only. Tried steroid cream to not much luck. Doc started on otezla but after 20 days the side effects are horrible. Missed work from headaches, cramping, diarrhea, nausea, heartburn, and joint pain. Joint pain started just 3 days ago with starting at the shoulders then elbows, wrist in right arm now going to left arm. Eating Tums like tic taks candy."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) March 16, 2019

For Psoriatic Arthritis "I have been taking Otezla for over 2 years (with zero copay) and several times I thought about stopping, but only because I would forget about the severe pain I had before when attempting to straighten my fingers. I never could straighten my fingers and the pain was always there regardless. I was 57 when I started and it did take time to be able to completely straighten my fingers with no pain. When being tested prior to taking a medication for PA, I was found to have latent TB. The TB medication slowed down the effectiveness of Ortezla, but if it wasn't for Otezla I wouldn't be able to take anything. Also, because of PA I had chronic plantar fasciitis for 3+ years. Now I can walk with minimal pain. I have a couple more autoimmune disorders which may mask the true results of Otezla, so I may have improved more than I know. I did get sick for the first 2 weeks and it went away. I am grateful that Otezla exists and I would never tell anyone not to try it."

Sandy (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 10, 2019

"I have been on Otezla for sixteen weeks now. I have Behçet’s disease, a rare form of vasculitis which my doctor said Otezla will be approved by the FDA to treat by the end of this year. At first I had headaches and horrible nausea which wasn’t helped if I took it with food. The headaches have stopped, but not the nausea. I also have high blood pressure which this drug has made worse, along with Folliculitis. My hair has gotten very thin. I also have times when I have to hold myself back from vomiting. The pain in my joints has increased to the point that I can barely walk. I get pain in my spine (from my neck to my tail), knees and hips. And it is severe. I take a large amount of opioids for chronic pain and Otezla has negated any effect these have had. I was hoping I could quit taking the opioids with Otezla on board. I’m going to have to stop taking it because I can’t stand the pain and nausea."

Tank Girl (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 24, 2019

For Psoriatic Arthritis "It helped very little or not at all."

G-RoiS (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 15, 2019

For Plaque Psoriasis "Did nothing for my Psoriasis"

nick (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 14, 2019

For Plaque Psoriasis "I've had psoriasis for 15 years, with 75% of my legs covered. I've tried various steroid creams and laser, but it came back as soon as I stopped. I was on Enbrel for 1 year with great success but then it stopped working. Switched to Humira and it worked great for 3 years, then it stopped working. Switched to Otezla with high hopes, but it never really worked even though I took it for 4 months. My psoriasis didn't worsen while I was on it, but it never improved either. As for side effects, I did experience a mild upset stomach all day long and sudden urges to go to the bathroom, but these lessened after about a month or so. I'm prediabetic and did note that when I stopped Humira and started Otezla my fasting blood sugar readings were much higher than normal. Now my doctor has switched me to Cosentyx and after 2 weeks am already seeing improvement."

Lizzy (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 30, 2019

For Plaque Psoriasis "I have been taking Otezla since October 2018. Within a few weeks I have seen results, I no longer have patches anywhere on my body 100% gone. Some side affects I do have is tension headaches. Not every day but only once a week. This prescriptions says no need to take with meal but I have to eat something before I take it in the morning else I'll feel dizzy and jittery. Overall I'm so happy with the results. After dealing with psoriasis for so many years I finally can wear shorts n short sleeves shirts (:"

Angel (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 30, 2019

For Plaque Psoriasis "Been taking Otezla for a year now. Was given a starter pack from my dermatologist, then received the bridge packs from Otezla, every 2 weeks. Blue Cross agreed to pay with 0 deductible on my part. No problems taking this twice daily, with no side effects. Was concerned after reading some of these reviews, but 1 year later I am 90% clear. My topical use is much lower in the summer, but I do apply more in the dry winter. Been very good for me, and I like that it does not have the “black flag” warnings like the injections."

89turbotarga (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 22, 2019

For Plaque Psoriasis "I have had psoriasis since my early 40s and was always able to maintain it and occasionally send it into remission using topical steroids (Clobetasol). My dermatologist strongly recommended Otezla to me and I was dumb enough to make the switch. It gave me wicked headaches and I swear more forgetful. After months of being on it, I watched my psoriasis progressively get worse, and worse, to the point there isn't a part of my body that doesn't show it now. 100% this is the result of being on Otezla as it is the only thing that changed in my treatment. Otezla was the worst decision I have ever made and by the volume of posts I'm now finding all over the internet, my experience is far from an anomaly. Stay away from Otezla."

jrob (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 21, 2019

For Plaque Psoriasis "I've been prescribed every topical, & spent so much on UV-therapy. I was then put on methotrexate. Had some good results, but constant liver & kidney functions/blood tests & the upcoming liver biopsy to check for damage was not worth it. I also started to lose my hair, it started to thin out terribly after a month. I went to another physician and was prescribed Otezla. I’ve been on this medication for about a month. Already, my knees, elbows, torso, crack of my ass (inverse psoriasis) & my penis (TMI) have clearing up well. The back of my scalp had flaky plaques & heavy dandruff, & it’s almost totally clear. Otezla also seems to boost the effectiveness of topical meds for really stubborn areas. Website & reviews warn of depression, headaches and GI upset. I haven’t experienced any of these but a little insomnia. I hope the results of this medication continue. I can't tell you how great it is to finally find a medication without endless monitoring. I am happy w/Otezla."

Dallas, Texas (taken for less than 1 month) January 17, 2019

For Psoriatic Arthritis "I was prescribed this drug after Methotrexate caused liver damage. I started it June 2018 mainly for my Psoriatic Arthritis. Within the first week I was able to ditch my cane and could walk on my own and pain was all but eliminated. That being said I did have fairly mild side effects for about 2 weeks. I was having bowel movements multiple times a day and nothing was solid for that 2 week period. I did lose quite a bit of my appetite for about a month or 2. I thankfully did not have any nausea or anything. Flair ups still caused issues however they were much more manageable. That being said it did nothing for my psoriasis at all which was a little disappointing. Towards the end of December 2018 the drug has become less effective. I have new joints showing symptoms of arthritis and am going to my specialist this coming Friday to discuss options. While it lasted it was a miracle drug. I got about 6-7 months of solid relief hence the 7 rating. Worth a try if your doctor recommends it."

kologa (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 10, 2019

For Plaque Psoriasis "I do not believe enough of a control group was used. I took this drug along with two compounds for two months. I developed horrible, excruciating pain up my left leg, worse than sciatica. Also when I woke up and tried to walk, it felt like rocks were under my small toe. The dermatologist wanted me to take a lesser dose instead of quitting cold turkey!! No bueno!!! I have grown to love my psoriasis and use the topicals... Good luck out there~"

Thinker (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 5, 2019

For Plaque Psoriasis "I have been taking Otezla for almost 2 months and the side affects are terrible. I have had severe vomiting with or without meals. I am told to give it 16 weeks, yet also was told side effects would only last a couple weeks. In 8 weeks I lost almost 20 lbs, but not in a good way. I just feel so unhealthy; the psoriasis at times looks better and other times worse. I’m considering coming off and seeing what else can be done. Doctors and pharmacies are really pushing this medication, but I am beginning to feel like a guinea pig. Side effects are just too severe."

AC (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 5, 2019

For Plaque Psoriasis "I took Otezla for two weeks. It caused extreme joint pain. My pain started in my shoulders and would go to various joints including my shoulders, elbows, wrists, fingers, hips, and toes. This pain became extreme and it also caused weakness. I was unable to get out of a bathtub due to the pain. This medicine is not worth the pain I experienced."

staceys4boys (taken for less than 1 month) January 2, 2019

For Plaque Psoriasis "I was on all otezla for 6 months could not take the headaches anymore so I stopped taking it. Psoriasis came back with a vengeance!!! I had always had a mild case of psoriasis I have psoriasis places I've never had it before. Worst medication ever. Take my advice don't ever start this medicine"

Dee (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 2, 2019

For Plaque Psoriasis "I had psoriasis since I was 15 or so. My psoriasis was never too bad. I am 35 years old. Last year, I had psoriasis under my fingernails along with some mild joint pain. My dermatologist and my rheumatologist both suggested I try Otezla. Both to help with the areas under the fingernails and to prevent future joint pain as part of arthritis psoriasis. I tried the medicine almost for about a year. I didn't have bad side effects, I didn't lose weight either. After the first month, my fingernails cleared. But the plaques on other parts of my body didn't get better much. So I kept using the topicals. After 6 months or so, my psoriasis went so bad. I started having plaques on my body which I had never had before. My scalp is so bad shape. I stopped using it a few months ago. It is worth to mention that I got sick so many more times."

david117 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 29, 2018

For Plaque Psoriasis "I have been taking Otezla for over a year. Usually take 30 mg daily, but sometimes 60 mg when skin gets worse, and sometimes 15 mg when side effects are too awful and/or skin is better. Worked amazing for me in the beginning and totally cleared my skin, including scalp plaque that I've had since a teenager (I'm 45 yo). However, side effects have been bad and have never let up. Did not have depression, but definitely lots of reflux, with burping, burning etc, especially at night. Gross watery stool with constant urgency and having to race to the toilet after everything I eat. Sometimes helps to take the pill with a big meal - but not always. Have also had some headaches. Also, just a weird feeling of nausea and unwellness - usually passes after a few hours. Recently developed an extremely itchy rash (torso, arms and legs, feet) and this may be the last straw for this drug."

dbk (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 28, 2018

For Psoriatic Arthritis "I’ve been on Otezla for almost 6 weeks for psoriatic arthritis. It improved my psoriasis almost immediately, but then the change slowed way down. No patches have totally cleared yet, though they do look better. No noticeable effect on pain yet. Unfortunately, the GI side effects seem to be getting worse instead of better, to the point where I don’t want to eat anything. I’m also consistently having headaches and increased fatigue. I’m going to try taking only one pill a day, but if that doesn’t get the side effects to a manageable level, I’ll have to stop."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 14, 2018

For Plaque Psoriasis "Day 10 of the starter pack, headaches are horrific. I'll try to finish the first month out but I'm not going to go thru the rest of my life with daily migraines. I'd rather be itchy."

SarahKatherine (taken for less than 1 month) November 12, 2018

For Plaque Psoriasis "The drug worked pretty well about 80% clear except that my insurance won’t pay for it and the bridge program helped me for 6 months stopped now I’m screwed out on my own. I'm going to try talz at least I can get that at my pharmacy"

Kc (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 4, 2018

For Plaque Psoriasis "I have been taking Otezla for approximately one month and I have to say there is nothing like it. My psoriasis has quickly gone into remission. My psoriasis was so bad at times that I would scratch until it bled. Additionally, it has helped my psoriatic arthritis considerably. I have not been waking up stiff and in pain, that in itself is glorious. I did have the nausea the first week, but adjusted that issue by eating a substantial meal prior to taking the medicine. Had a little bit of aching in parts I had not before, but that also subsided 2.5 weeks in. Overall, it has been a great experience. Using samples at this point while I fight with my insurance company."

Roseart (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 3, 2018

For Plaque Psoriasis "I have been taking this for a month now and it has not made my skin sores any better, maybe worse. The pill packets are easy to use and keep track of if you have taken it today or not. Going back to thr Dr. to try something else"

barnyardsavage (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 31, 2018

For Plaque Psoriasis "Whelp, the psoriasis cleared (mostly) after having it on my arms, neck, stomach, and scalp (lost a lot of hair) so I broke down and started Otezla. I’ve been on it for almost a year & after being an active & healthy adult (psoriasis aside), I’ve had the worst health issues I could imagine. The nausea, loss of appetite (lost 25 lbs in a year), depression and immediate, runny bowel movements after eating have all driven me crazy. I hated the psoriasis more than anything (which kept me on the med this long) & my dermatologists (that’s right, there have been two) convincingly told me none of these were side effects & advised me to change other aspects of my life (stress levels, diet - which has always been healthy & balanced, etc) as those were to blame for what I was experiencing. I’m sad that it’s taken me this long to do my own in-depth research only to find out these are common & ARE in fact side effects. I need my health back! Even if it means I’m itchy and bald!"

BB Ash October 31, 2018

For Psoriatic Arthritis "My dr put me on Otezla for psoriatic arthritis over a year ago. The results were absolutely amazing! I had terrible itchy, scaly patches on my scalp and all in and outside of my ears. Also had a lot of joint pain. This drug eliminated all of that PLUS I lost 45 lbs. Now, it did cause diarrhea, but it wasn't unmanageable. I felt better than I have felt in years. I was lucky at that time to get this for a zero co-pay and stayed on it for a year. Unfortunately, I went on medicare this year and am no longer eligible for the zero copay and now my co-pay will be over $1,200/month, which I cannot possibly afford. I am heartbroken and all broken out again after getting off of it (plus gaining some of the weight back). I wish the drug manufacturer could somehow reduce the cost so it would be more affordable. Hopefully as time goes by, they will. But, if you can get it, please try it. I know you will be pleased."

Liza (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 19, 2018