Otezla Side Effects
Generic name: apremilast
Note: This document contains side effect information about apremilast. Some of the dosage forms listed on this page may not apply to the brand name Otezla.
Common side effects of Otezla include: weight loss. Other side effects include: diarrhea, headache, and nausea. See below for a comprehensive list of adverse effects.
For the Consumer
Applies to apremilast: oral tablet
Side effects requiring immediate medical attention
Along with its needed effects, apremilast (the active ingredient contained in Otezla) may cause some unwanted effects. Although not all of these side effects may occur, if they do occur they may need medical attention.
Check with your doctor immediately if any of the following side effects occur while taking apremilast:
- Changes in behavior
- feeling sad or empty
- lack of appetite
- loss of interest or pleasure
- thoughts of killing oneself
- trouble concentrating
- trouble sleeping
Incidence not known
- chest tightness
- fast heartbeat
- hives, itching, or rash
- joint pain, stiffness, or swelling
- large, hive-like swelling on face, eyelids, lips, tongue, throat, hands, legs, feet, or sex organs
- puffiness or swelling of the eyelids or around the eyes, face, lips, or tongue
- redness of the skin
- swelling of the hands or feet
- trouble breathing or swallowing
- unusual tiredness or weakness
- weight loss
Side effects not requiring immediate medical attention
Some side effects of apremilast may occur that usually do not need medical attention. These side effects may go away during treatment as your body adjusts to the medicine. Also, your health care professional may be able to tell you about ways to prevent or reduce some of these side effects.
Check with your health care professional if any of the following side effects continue or are bothersome or if you have any questions about them:
- Body aches or pain
- ear congestion
- loss of voice
- sore throat
- stuffy or runny nose
- Back pain
- burning, itching, pain in the hairy areas, pus at the root of the hair
- decreased appetite
- muscle aches
- stomach discomfort, upset, or pain
- upper abdominal or stomach pain
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to apremilast: oral tablet
The most commonly reported side effects included diarrhea, headache, and nausea.[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Hypersensitivity[Ref]
Common (1% to 10%): Diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, upper abdominal pain
Common (1% to 10%): Upper respiratory tract infection, nasopharyngitis
Frequency not reported: Cough[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Rash[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Weight decrease, decreased appetite[Ref]
Common (1% to 10%): Headache
Frequently asked questions
- Do you need to take it forever?
- Can you drink alcohol while taking this drug?
- Can you drink alcohol while taking Otezla?
- How to stop taking Otezla?
- How much does Otezla cost?
- What does Otezla do to the body?
- Is Otezla a biologic? What is Otezla used for?
- Does Otezla cause weight gain?
- Does Otezla cause depression?
- How long has Otezla been on the market?
- Is Otezla safe to take during pregnancy?
- What are the new drugs for the treatment of plaque psoriasis?
- How long does it take for Otezla to work?
- Is Otezla (apremilast) an immunosuppressant?
- Who makes Otezla and why is it so expensive?
More about Otezla (apremilast)
- Drug interactions
- Dosage information
- During pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Reviews (397)
- Patient tips
- Drug images
- Compare alternatives
- Pricing & coupons
- Generic availability
- En español
- Drug class: antirheumatics
- FDA approval history
Related treatment guides
1. "Product Information. Otezla (apremilast)." Celgene Corporation (2014):
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.