User Reviews for Otezla to treat Psoriatic Arthritis

Otezla Rating Summary

5.3/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 56 medications used in the treatment of Psoriatic Arthritis.

Reviews for Otezla

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month August 12, 2019

"I took Otezla for 10 days and I had to stop. At day 2, my neck was so sore, I couldn't turn my head. Next came my arms, and then my whole body was so achy, it was affecting my quality of life. It was a tough decision to stop because I did lose a few pounds. I had constipation so the stomach side effects did not bother me much. I also had really bad headaches but that went away after 7 days.."

Ventu · Taken for less than 1 month July 6, 2019

"I have only tried for 3 weeks and so disappointed. My one severe spot of psoriasis improved but didn’t totally cleared. I had all 3 common symptoms of headache, diarrhea, and nausea. The worst however is my PA felt like it worsened. I don’t want biologics as I’m only 40 but not sure what other option next."

Boug · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 23, 2019

"I took Ortezla for 6 months. I didn't experience any side effects while taking this. Although it helped with my arthritis, this drug did nothing for my psoriasis. My Dr said he has heard that after 6 months, Ortezla has stopped working for some patients & he prescribed me a different medication."

CGK1967 · Taken for less than 1 month March 25, 2019

"Just started taking Otezla on March 20th. I started out with the low dosage and I am now currently at 30mg twice a day. In 6 days, I have lost 4 pounds, mainly from the diarrhea and have had some headaches however I will keep going with this as I am waking up with no stiffness or pain from the Psoriatic Arthritis which is a huge bonus. The only thing I really need to watch is the insomnia. Last night was not a good night for me as I tossed and turned all night but that very well could be from the Prednisone I am also taking, but only for another week or so. I am hopeful Otezla will continue to work for me because I refuse to take Biologics that my doctor wanted to put me on."

Sandy · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 10, 2019

"I have been taking Otezla for over 2 years (with zero copay) and several times I thought about stopping, but only because I would forget about the severe pain I had before when attempting to straighten my fingers. I never could straighten my fingers and the pain was always there regardless. I was 57 when I started and it did take time to be able to completely straighten my fingers with no pain. When being tested prior to taking a medication for PA, I was found to have latent TB. The TB medication slowed down the effectiveness of Ortezla, but if it wasn't for Otezla I wouldn't be able to take anything. Also, because of PA I had chronic plantar fasciitis for 3+ years. Now I can walk with minimal pain. I have a couple more autoimmune disorders which may mask the true results of Otezla, so I may have improved more than I know. I did get sick for the first 2 weeks and it went away. I am grateful that Otezla exists and I would never tell anyone not to try it."

G-RoiS · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 15, 2019

"It helped very little or not at all."

kologa · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 10, 2019

"I was prescribed this drug after Methotrexate caused liver damage. I started it June 2018 mainly for my Psoriatic Arthritis. Within the first week I was able to ditch my cane and could walk on my own and pain was all but eliminated. That being said I did have fairly mild side effects for about 2 weeks. I was having bowel movements multiple times a day and nothing was solid for that 2 week period. I did lose quite a bit of my appetite for about a month or 2. I thankfully did not have any nausea or anything. Flair ups still caused issues however they were much more manageable. That being said it did nothing for my psoriasis at all which was a little disappointing. Towards the end of December 2018 the drug has become less effective. I have new joints showing symptoms of arthritis and am going to my specialist this coming Friday to discuss options. While it lasted it was a miracle drug. I got about 6-7 months of solid relief hence the 7 rating. Worth a try if your doctor recommends it."

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 14, 2018

"I’ve been on Otezla for almost 6 weeks for psoriatic arthritis. It improved my psoriasis almost immediately, but then the change slowed way down. No patches have totally cleared yet, though they do look better. No noticeable effect on pain yet. Unfortunately, the GI side effects seem to be getting worse instead of better, to the point where I don’t want to eat anything. I’m also consistently having headaches and increased fatigue. I’m going to try taking only one pill a day, but if that doesn’t get the side effects to a manageable level, I’ll have to stop."

Liza · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 19, 2018

"My dr put me on Otezla for psoriatic arthritis over a year ago. The results were absolutely amazing! I had terrible itchy, scaly patches on my scalp and all in and outside of my ears. Also had a lot of joint pain. This drug eliminated all of that PLUS I lost 45 lbs. Now, it did cause diarrhea, but it wasn't unmanageable. I felt better than I have felt in years. I was lucky at that time to get this for a zero co-pay and stayed on it for a year. Unfortunately, I went on medicare this year and am no longer eligible for the zero copay and now my co-pay will be over $1,200/month, which I cannot possibly afford. I am heartbroken and all broken out again after getting off of it (plus gaining some of the weight back). I wish the drug manufacturer could somehow reduce the cost so it would be more affordable. Hopefully as time goes by, they will. But, if you can get it, please try it. I know you will be pleased."

GAgirl · Taken for less than 1 month October 13, 2018

"My dermatologist put me on Otezla for Granuloma Annulare. Mine is rare in that it is widespread and "recalcitrant." I have been on it for almost 2 weeks now. I have nausea and bathroom urgency throughout the day, though it is lessening as the days go by. I have not yet reached to full dose as I was instructed to take a dose only on a full stomach and I am too nauseous to eat two large meals a day. So I'm up to 30 mg once a day. The headaches have mostly subsided so it gives me hope that I will get acclimated to the other side effects. However I am so uncomfortable and full of aches and pains and exhaustion that I can't tell if I'm depressed or not! I sure don't feel like doing anything at all. So time will tell. I revisit the derm at 5 weeks. So far, I have not noticed any changes in my GA lesions."

Mimi · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 19, 2018

"I've been taking Otezla since June 29th 2018. I was prescribed Otezla by the dermatologist but plaque was not present just dry skin. A small small patch of dry skin on my arm prompted a biopsy and that's how I got my Psoriatic arthritis diagnosis. My issue is I do not and never had any plaque skin issues just joint pain and I don't find this medication handling the joint pain on a daily basis. Every so often I'll get a severe pain in a finger joint, a bone in my foot or shoulder pain. I'm not sure if I need to continue taking this. I also have osteoarthritis have had knee replacement and now was told I need hip replacement. I'm going to give this medication one more month and see what the outcome will be. One good thing is I had no side effects at all."

GoSox1 August 7, 2018

"Rashes in crotch area for at least 5 years. Rash on chest for decades. Acne for 55 years. Scaly patches on arms, legs, back for 10-15 years. Pitted dry fingernails for 30 years. Dry eyes, dry mouth. Dupuytren’s Contracture for several- maybe 5-10 years. Lower back pain for over 40 years. Severed shoulder tendon. Both Achilles Tendons sore. In the past 40 years only have had 2 or 3 pain free days. I have read 4 pages of reviews. My heart goes out to you all. To us all. This is an unpredictable disease. Yesterday was day 4, 20mg + 20 mg and I had marked relief in hand and finger pain. Although swelling has not abated. I had a mild and short-lived headache, and mild but longer lived stomach pain. Today I awoke with more swelling in my fingers than ever, painful- but not more pain than ever. I took 20mg + 30 mg today. Swelling and pain both decreasing as the day wears on. Mild stomach pain - short lived. Stronger and longer headaches, but easily tolerable."

john_r July 19, 2018

"I had very mild psoriasis and Psoriatic arthritis and was put on Humira about 10 years ago. I thought I might have been in remission so I stopped. After 18 months, I finally went back to the Dr and she suggested Otezla. I started otezla about 11 weeks ago. I only had mild stomach issues. I wanted to lose weight so that side effect was welcome (lost 20lb), I found my appetite was greatly reduced. 5 weeks in my joint pain was getting better but I developed the worst upper respiratory problem that I ever had. I do not get sick typically - even while on Humira. It was really bad for about a week but it is now 5 weeks into this upper respiratory issue and it continues to linger - I'm taking both Sudafed and Mucinex dm so the symptoms are milder (a mild cough, ears plug up off and on). I have not read many people who had upper respiratory reactions. I still have about 3 weeks until I reach the full efficacy point so I think I will stick it out for the time being."

rml313 · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 18, 2018

"I have been on otezla for only a month it has taken the pain from my fingers and elbows away. It is starting to work on my plaque psoriaisis I have had psoriasis for 56 years. I'm 73 now otezla is working the best out of anything else I have tried. I had very few side affects just a little nausea not much I sure hope it keeps working"

CHANCE · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 10, 2018

"From the start I had joint pain. I needed a couple of advil every day. The stiffness is slowly increasing also. It's been 5 months. We are now going to try something else. I go to the bathroom 3 times a day. My stomach is very upset after taking the pill for 3 hours. My stomach is getting worse. I have a yogurt everyday and avoid disruptive foods. My teeth hurt. At first they woke me up during the nite and I had to have advil for the pain. Now it is mild a couple times a week. My psoriasis has completely disappeared thats the good."

Dennis · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 6, 2018

"Coming off enbrel after 14 years I had numerous bouts with kidney stones. Then most recently last year I had numerous blood clots in the leg I gave myself shots in. Asked my PA about any other drugs. He suggested Otezla. I have been on it for 3 months and my legs feet toes ankles and Achilles ligaments have continually been in pain switching from day to day and am currently barely able to walk. I am a very good bowler and bowl in highly competitive competitions. I have gotten to the competition and couldn't even move . I never know from day to day if I will be able to compete or not. It costs hundreds of dollars to compete and I have not even come close to being competitive at any . I have had to withdraw from some because of the pain I'm in."

davegerard · Taken for less than 1 month April 16, 2018

"I am considering Otezla for my Psoriatic Arthritis, but after reading these reviews I wanted to share something that some of you may find helpful. There is a book entitled "The Great Arthritis Breakthrough" in which the author cites several studies that have attributed many cases of arthritis to bacteria and tests confirmed that a daily low dose of Minocycline antibiotic fended off the arthritis. I tried this regimen and found that it did work great for arthritis, however it did nothing for the Psoriasis. But seriously, if you are in pain like I was, this is worth it. I took Minocycline for about 2 years and then stopped and have have been off of it for two years now. I am only now starting to have a little inflammation in my right middle finger. Anyway, I wanted to share this in case others might find it useful."

syb March 29, 2018

"Though I had no side effects when taking other biologics - or any meds - I had terrible respiratory stuff while on this so went off after a week or so. The way they tested it didn't allow me to know what to expect as they seemed they have data only at a 4 month or so mark. I wouldn't recommend it."

Bridget · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 25, 2018

"I took this drug for 11 months and finally had to come off it. From Feb to May I did notice an improvement with pain but in June my hands and feet had such nerve pain I could hardly walk and had trouble planting my little garden. I was told the nerve pain could not be from Otezla. From day one I had 2 hours with diarrhea and was told that too would pass. It didn't. I stopped the drug in December before Christmas and the nerve pain and diarrhea completely stopped. Mind you I still have sore feet and hands but feel so comfortable. I had been on Methtrexate and Humira before this drug and they too had massive problems. I have always had Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) but now my Surgeon said it was undiagnosed diverticulitis that I had kept controlled by diet. These drugs made my bowel much worse and now I need a section removed. How sad is that. Is there even a good drug out there?"

nea · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 16, 2018

"I have had psoriasis and pasoriatic arthritis for the 10 years. I have tried all kinds of creams nothing has helped. Until this pill! OMG I'm completely amazed of how much my psoriatic arthritis has gone with this pill. I would cry every day with pain of the joints . The pain I would have in my neck was soooo bad. This is a amazing pill and everyone should try it. Form my psoriasis it has helped some but for my psoratic arthoritis it has been amazing plus do the 0 copay bc my insurance wanted $3500 a month and I couldn't do that at all. Thanks so much for this pill!!It literally has saved my life with pain daily!!"

Trista7777 · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 26, 2018

"I have been on Otezla going on my 4th year I had plaque psoriasis and swelling of joints I was nauseous for maybe 2 weeks when I started, my ring finger was a size nine and now it’s a size five that’s how much swelling has gone down for me. All my plaque was completely gone by the 3rd month which included my whole head my ears and unmentionable parts! I don’t have depression or any other side affects for me this drug is amazing!"

Hausfrau · Taken for less than 1 month February 24, 2018

"When ointments are not as effective as they used to be, I started researching other treatments for Psoriasis. It's a constant battle on my head and wearing black is becoming more difficult. I'm not considering injection therapy so Otezla seemed the perfect solution. Side effects began on day 2 and started to subside after 2 weeks. However, the tension headaches got worse and I stopped treatment after 2 1/2 weeks. I saw little impact on my psoriasis, but I probably didn't take it long enough. However, my Psoriatic Arthritis was completely gone, which of course is acting up again. I so wished this would have worked for me."

StillSuffering478 February 18, 2018

"Was prescribed and took for 8 months for plaque psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis. After a month began to notice a big reduction in plaques but only mild relief in pain. After 4 months began to experience depressed feelings and random dark thoughts while nothing had changed in life circumstances. Decided to go off when scared myself with thoughts of crashing my vehicle while driving. However, be warned the psoriasis plaques is worse now than before I took the meds and the joint pain is back. Would not recommend."

Middleman12345 · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 17, 2018

"I have now been taking Otezla for 2 years. I have never had bad psoriasis, but psoriatic arthritis has affected me for about 5 years. It took me almost 9 months for my psoriatic arthritis saw any improvement. After 1 year of taking, I thought it was a wonder drug. I have had constant stomach and headache issues that I was willing to accept. I figured it wasn't as bad as having PsA. About 6 months ago it stopped working for me. I started experiencing pretty bad moods and felt like I was falling into depression. I have since moved on to a single dose at bed time. I recently started using CBD oil and it seems to be working pretty well. Worked for a while, but side effects were almost as bad as the condition."

HodaMac December 18, 2017

"I was prescribed Otezla for psoriatic arthritis. I took it for about 18 weeks. My arthritis improved only minimally. - I experienced the side effects of nausea, diarrhea and headaches throughout the 18 weeks. I stopped the treatment since it wasn't really working for me. And that is where the real trouble began - I had only suffered mild psoriasis over the years. I have not had a significant outbreak in over 25 years. In very short order, after I stopped this medicine, my psoriasis returned with a vengeance!! It's now almost 6 months since I've stopped taking this drug and I'm STILL trying to get the psoriasis under control. I would NOT recommend anyone take this drug."

Learn more about Psoriatic Arthritis

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)