User Reviews for Otezla

Learn more about Otezla.

Otezla Rating Summary

5.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 55 medications used in the treatment of Psoriatic Arthritis.

Reviews for Otezla to treat Psoriatic Arthritis

"Was on Otezla for 4 months. Absolutely no improvement, and side effects were dreadful...splitting migraine headaches daily, chronic diarrhea, depression. I would never consider taking this medication again."

Neal C. (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 15, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been taking otezla for five months with no improvement in my psoriatic arthritis. I had minor psoriasis plaques on my elbows. It is definitely clearer. My joints have shown no improvement. I have lost a considerable amount of weight while on otezla and am now quite underweight. I will have to discontinue the drug because of the weight loss and the fact that it has done nothing for the arthritis."

spareribs (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 10, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"8 days in. No relief and as the Enbrel I was taking wears off I am hurting so bad I had to start a course of prednisone. I feel nauseous and depressed. Beautiful weather outside and I don't care. I'm in a farm room watching TV. Miserable and not myself. Called my doctor so we will see what he says to do. I may follow up this post with further results. To be fair it's only Day 8 maybe it will improve"

Unity659 June 1, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been on Otezla for 2 months now and have experienced a remarkable clearing of my lesions. Both knees, which were 90% affected have almost entirely cleared up. The face lesions have dried up and are almost unnoticeable now. The scalp, which was almost completely affected, has cleared up to the point that I'll soon be getting rid of the ever-present ball cap! (YES!!!) I feel that in one month, at my follow up appointment with my dermatologist, I am going to kiss her smack dab on the lips! My Wife has given me permission. Still haven't noticed a pronounced difference in my two thumbs, which have swollen at the joint over the last year or so. Hopefully, they will get better as well so I can get back to playing the guitar."

Shadowfax419 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 8, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Have been taking this for almost 2 years now. For me, it works great. Had some of the side effects initially - nausea, lack of appetite, headaches and loose stools. But all of those side effects are gone now. I have had almost NO PSA flares and my blood work is absolutely perfect. Everyone is different, but for me right now, and for the past 2 years, this drug has been fantastic."

OtezlaFan (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 24, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been taking Otezla for about 8 weeks. I experienced nausea, frequent bowel movements, headaches, and a lack of appetite although the severity tapered off after a few weeks, they still continue. As I did more research into others who have taken it I have experienced 2 trips to the ER due to inflammation in my feet and I feel so fatigued and don't want to do anything...but I feel better if I move around a bit...but I get wore out pretty easy and then my feet are killing me. I'd like to say I feel better than when I started... and in some ways I do. I used to feel like my joints were fusing together, I couldn't walk up or down stairs, and I couldn't open a bottle of water. I feel a lot looser now and can do some things. I still hurt."

Huck321 January 3, 2017

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"So it's been 2 months now..I have been self controlling a little as I had a headache from hell.. only two times tho.. so why it's random I do not understand.. but it's so bad I can't touch it with 10 Tylenol.. it's crippling. BUT.. even so..I hate psoriasis so bad.. my life is altered by it..I continued on the Otezla with half the dose for a while.. back to full dosage.. but my psoriasis had returned due to the reduced dosage.. hoping it goes away again and those headaches as well.. nothing else is troubling.. the headaches need to subside so I can function normally at life and my job!"

Margot928 November 15, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have mod/severe RA overlapping with PSA. I developed a worsening of Psoriasis on Humira. I stopped Humira and DR wanted me to try Otezla to clear my Psoriasis. I can say this is the worst drug i have ever taken. I had a severe migraine for 5 days. I had very low energy levels, loss of appetite and nausea. I also developed really bad spasms. I took Methotrexate for 5 years and didn't feel this bad. I stopped Otezla going back to Humira and Methotrexate... I hope!"

RLT (taken for less than 1 month) November 11, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been taking this medication for a little over 2 months for scalp psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis. I have been lucky and experienced no adverse side effects except for several minutes of minor nausea during the first week or so of beginning it. My scalp cleared almost completely within 2-3 weeks. The itchiness is gone as well. The swelling in my hands has decreased about 20 to 25 percent and I am hoping for more as I reach the 4 to 5 month mark. I was able to remove a ring that I was sure would need to be cut off. I also have had no other side effects that others have reportedsuch as mood changes, headache, diarrhea, etc. I want others to know about good experiences so they won't be scared off. I will report back soon."

MLCAN (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 27, 2016

50 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Started taking otezla 12 days ago. I have experienced headache, nausea, fatigue, swollen and painful joints, upper right abdominal pain, swollen belly on the right side, feet pain, back pain, mild diarrhea, no ambition, hoarsness, light colored stools. I still have to take indomethician for joint inflammation and pain. I thought this drug would relieve my pain and prevent inflammation and further joint damage, instead it has made it worse. I don't see the advantage of continuing to use it along with an anti-inflammatory drug. I might as well stick with indomethicin."

Baby31 (taken for less than 1 month) October 25, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"When I started otezla, I was having moderate arthritis affects. Right away I had head and neck pain. Throughout the 4 months I was on it, I lost 10 lbs, no appetite, nausea, bad flu flares, sometimes rapid heartbeat and no discernable relief. At 4 month mark I experienced a massive spasming of my scalp and neck muscles. As in tetany. You need your neck to sit up, lay down, walk, drive..I couldn't do anything. I like to think my pain threshold is high, but this brought me to my knees. I've been on more Prednisone with otezla then ever before..just to counteract all the flares, tendon pain. I'm off otezla now for 4 days, and still cannot move my neck properly. I hope with time it goes away. No benefits, lots of aggravation. Not a good med for"

Waterbug100 October 1, 2016

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I started this in March, by The end of Aug this med stopped working. It did a pretty good job of clearing up the Psorisis but my joint pain is thru the roof. My hands are progressively getting worse. It doesn't touch my RA. Instead of taking me off of it my Rheumy added MTX which I don't tolerate well. So I'm taking myself off. I got so bloated, and gassy thru the starter pack. I GAINED 20lbs! Not sure if it's the med or my increase in pain has me sidelined. I currently have tons of congestion which I have had for 3 months! DONE WITH THIS STUFF ,"

SouthernMommy (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 1, 2016

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"It is hard for me to rate this. I have Psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis. I have been taking Otezla for 9 months now. Within weeks my severe psoriasis had cleared. However, my arthritis is worse. At first, it seemed to stop the swelling a little. I have to say it was about 5 months before all the swelling and severe pain came back. While the pain was never completely gone, it was never this bad. Not even before Otezla. My muscles in the back of my legs hurt, and on the bottom of my right foot. I am having trouble walking. I also take hydrocodone for pain. I was taking the hydrocodone for two years and was hoping to get off with Otezla. Not going to happen. Has anybody had dental problems. I have had 3 teeth crack in the past 6 months."

sherlocky loo September 28, 2016

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"had flu like body aches, constant urge to defecate and brutal migraines from day 3. fatigue was all consuming. rather deal with the joint pain!!"

dr. baker (taken for less than 1 month) September 19, 2016

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My dermatologist put me on this medication using starter packs while they worked with the insurance to approve it. I lost my appetite completely I was exhausted, I almost lost my hearing and I got a serious upper respiratory infection. I had constant diarrhea and nausea and practically no sleep. I had to quit when I got the respiratory infection as I could hardly breathe. Why on earth is more testing not done with these drugs. The pharmaceutical companies churn our arthritis medication one after the other all of them with horrible side affects and outrageous pricing. How dare they try to charge almost $3000 a month for a drug with such poor results. Back to methotrexate and ibuprofen at least I can afford them."

Fionnd (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 12, 2016

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have now been on otezla for the magic 4 months the company says it takes to improve. I am so much worse now. My arthritis is so bad I can hardly use my hands they are so swollen and painful, most of my joints are swollen and painful, and my psoriasis has gotten worse. I wish I had stayed on Enbrel, and as will be going back on it as soon as possible. I did not have any adverse side effects, it just wasn't effective for me."

maxsmemaw (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 7, 2016

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Hi guys, I've been taken Otezla for about three weeks now. I feel my psoriasis is a bit better, but the side effects have been so bad that I haven't been able to work for a week. I'm so tired all the time. But I'm not giving up, keep taking the pills."

Jamppa August 30, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I took Otezla as an alternative to Enbrel for 6 weeks.The itching turned out to be the least of my worries.Ideveloped migraine headaches, blurred vision, severe depression and upset stomach. I stopped taking it when I couldn't even get out of bed and saw a psychiatrist.He told me to stop the medication immediately and gave me medication that would eventually counteract the side effects. This took approx 6 weeks.In the meantime I went to see an eye dtr due to the clouds in peripheral vision and blurriness.Turns out, although my last visit to him was in Nov (only five months earlier), my eyesight was completely different. I now need to wear reading glasses& a separate pair for watching tv, driving, distance.If anyone has exper. pls reply."

Renee4023 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 24, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This drug was wonderful for my pain and psorisis but caused horrible depression so I wanted to tell people to watch for mood changes. I thought it was only me but my rheumatologist told me this medication now has a black box warning for severe depression. Please be aware and watch for changes in personality. Sadly I had to discontinue use."

DB? August 17, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Been taking Otezla for 3 weeks. The first week I had a mild but persistent headache, bad heartburn and nausea, bloating, and muscle cramps in my legs. By the second week the headache was gone and down to slight nausea for a few hours after taking a dose. PsA is much improved, lesions are slightly better. By the 3rd week I am having very slight nausea but the PsA is almost gone. My knees, back and hands and feet feel almost normal. Lesions are still improving but very slowly. I'm still using steriod topicals and an occasional dose of Naproxen for joint pain."

MeateyPetey August 13, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This is the only drug that has worked for me -- and I have tried em all! Really. All. Of. Them. I have both plaque psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis. The side effects were minimal in relation to the relief I received. About 50 percent cleared on scalp-- 100 percent cleared every where else on my body. 100 percent relief with arthritis pain."

Mizsherry (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 10, 2016

26 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Ohhhh crap what a nightmare. This did soften my plaques. But after a week I am quitting. 3 massive migraines. I thought the one I'm currently having would kill me. Went to the hospital. Typical diarrhea. I had massive tendon spasms last night. This drug is good for some but not for me. This was my last hope."

rob allen (taken for less than 1 month) August 9, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"for my psoriasis keep it under control ,but for my arthritis ,omg it's like having a new life my bones stop hurting and I can walk more than ever. Otezla should be for Arthritis more than psoriasis"

Anonymous July 15, 2016

30 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Otezla had recently been approved. After three months on Otezla my skin was mostly clear (psoriasis returned FAST post-Embrel). I was able to stop ibuprofen completely. The pain was reduced to 1/10. Anti-nausea meds helped with stomach discomfort of Otezla side effects. Fourteen months in, the nausea was getting worse, lasting all day. Tremors. Appetite non-existent. Fatigue and anxiety increasing to unbearable levels. Spending more time in bed than not. Pain returning to joints... especially hands, feet, and lower back. Stopped Otezla three weeks ago. Appetite is back, nausea and diarrhea gone. Anxiety minimal. Energy level much higher. Was only going to stop Otezla for two weeks. I believe I am done with Otezla. Quality of life decision."

acmelabs (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 26, 2016

25 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Within weeks my plaque psoriasis disappeared. Chronic diarhea caused me to stop taking it. P came back within weeks. Several months ago I was in a motorcycle accident and sprained my wrist. Never got better, got worse. Diagnosis of psoriatic arthritis. Thinking of trying it again. Don't know if I can take living on the toilet. Hoping my body will get used to it but not opptomistic."

Jmj49 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 23, 2016