User Reviews for Otezla

Learn more about Otezla.

Otezla Rating Summary

5.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 54 medications used in the treatment of Psoriatic Arthritis.

Reviews for Otezla to treat Psoriatic Arthritis

"I have been taking Otezla for about 8 weeks. I experienced nausea, frequent bowel movements, headaches, and a lack of appetite although the severity tapered off after a few weeks, they still continue. As I did more research into others who have taken it I have experienced 2 trips to the ER due to inflammation in my feet and I feel so fatigued and don't want to do anything...but I feel better if I move around a bit...but I get wore out pretty easy and then my feet are killing me. I'd like to say I feel better than when I started... and in some ways I do. I used to feel like my joints were fusing together, I couldn't walk up or down stairs, and I couldn't open a bottle of water. I feel a lot looser now and can do some things. I still hurt."

Huck321 January 3, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"So it's been 2 months now..I have been self controlling a little as I had a headache from hell.. only two times tho.. so why it's random I do not understand.. but it's so bad I can't touch it with 10 Tylenol.. it's crippling. BUT.. even so..I hate psoriasis so bad.. my life is altered by it..I continued on the Otezla with half the dose for a while.. back to full dosage.. but my psoriasis had returned due to the reduced dosage.. hoping it goes away again and those headaches as well.. nothing else is troubling.. the headaches need to subside so I can function normally at life and my job!"

Margot928 November 15, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have mod/severe RA overlapping with PSA. I developed a worsening of Psoriasis on Humira. I stopped Humira and DR wanted me to try Otezla to clear my Psoriasis. I can say this is the worst drug i have ever taken. I had a severe migraine for 5 days. I had very low energy levels, loss of appetite and nausea. I also developed really bad spasms. I took Methotrexate for 5 years and didn't feel this bad. I stopped Otezla going back to Humira and Methotrexate... I hope!"

RLT (taken for less than 1 month) November 11, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been taking this medication for a little over 2 months for scalp psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis. I have been lucky and experienced no adverse side effects except for several minutes of minor nausea during the first week or so of beginning it. My scalp cleared almost completely within 2-3 weeks. The itchiness is gone as well. The swelling in my hands has decreased about 20 to 25 percent and I am hoping for more as I reach the 4 to 5 month mark. I was able to remove a ring that I was sure would need to be cut off. I also have had no other side effects that others have reportedsuch as mood changes, headache, diarrhea, etc. I want others to know about good experiences so they won't be scared off. I will report back soon."

MLCAN (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 27, 2016

43 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Started taking otezla 12 days ago. I have experienced headache, nausea, fatigue, swollen and painful joints, upper right abdominal pain, swollen belly on the right side, feet pain, back pain, mild diarrhea, no ambition, hoarsness, light colored stools. I still have to take indomethician for joint inflammation and pain. I thought this drug would relieve my pain and prevent inflammation and further joint damage, instead it has made it worse. I don't see the advantage of continuing to use it along with an anti-inflammatory drug. I might as well stick with indomethicin."

Baby31 (taken for less than 1 month) October 25, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"When I started otezla, I was having moderate arthritis affects. Right away I had head and neck pain. Throughout the 4 months I was on it, I lost 10 lbs, no appetite, nausea, bad flu flares, sometimes rapid heartbeat and no discernable relief. At 4 month mark I experienced a massive spasming of my scalp and neck muscles. As in tetany. You need your neck to sit up, lay down, walk, drive..I couldn't do anything. I like to think my pain threshold is high, but this brought me to my knees. I've been on more Prednisone with otezla then ever before..just to counteract all the flares, tendon pain. I'm off otezla now for 4 days, and still cannot move my neck properly. I hope with time it goes away. No benefits, lots of aggravation. Not a good med for"

Waterbug100 October 1, 2016

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I started this in March, by The end of Aug this med stopped working. It did a pretty good job of clearing up the Psorisis but my joint pain is thru the roof. My hands are progressively getting worse. It doesn't touch my RA. Instead of taking me off of it my Rheumy added MTX which I don't tolerate well. So I'm taking myself off. I got so bloated, and gassy thru the starter pack. I GAINED 20lbs! Not sure if it's the med or my increase in pain has me sidelined. I currently have tons of congestion which I have had for 3 months! DONE WITH THIS STUFF ,"

SouthernMommy (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 1, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"It is hard for me to rate this. I have Psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis. I have been taking Otezla for 9 months now. Within weeks my severe psoriasis had cleared. However, my arthritis is worse. At first, it seemed to stop the swelling a little. I have to say it was about 5 months before all the swelling and severe pain came back. While the pain was never completely gone, it was never this bad. Not even before Otezla. My muscles in the back of my legs hurt, and on the bottom of my right foot. I am having trouble walking. I also take hydrocodone for pain. I was taking the hydrocodone for two years and was hoping to get off with Otezla. Not going to happen. Has anybody had dental problems. I have had 3 teeth crack in the past 6 months."

sherlocky loo September 28, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"had flu like body aches, constant urge to defecate and brutal migraines from day 3. fatigue was all consuming. rather deal with the joint pain!!"

dr. baker (taken for less than 1 month) September 19, 2016

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My dermatologist put me on this medication using starter packs while they worked with the insurance to approve it. I lost my appetite completely I was exhausted, I almost lost my hearing and I got a serious upper respiratory infection. I had constant diarrhea and nausea and practically no sleep. I had to quit when I got the respiratory infection as I could hardly breathe. Why on earth is more testing not done with these drugs. The pharmaceutical companies churn our arthritis medication one after the other all of them with horrible side affects and outrageous pricing. How dare they try to charge almost $3000 a month for a drug with such poor results. Back to methotrexate and ibuprofen at least I can afford them."

Fionnd (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 12, 2016

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have now been on otezla for the magic 4 months the company says it takes to improve. I am so much worse now. My arthritis is so bad I can hardly use my hands they are so swollen and painful, most of my joints are swollen and painful, and my psoriasis has gotten worse. I wish I had stayed on Enbrel, and as will be going back on it as soon as possible. I did not have any adverse side effects, it just wasn't effective for me."

maxsmemaw (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 7, 2016

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Hi guys, I've been taken Otezla for about three weeks now. I feel my psoriasis is a bit better, but the side effects have been so bad that I haven't been able to work for a week. I'm so tired all the time. But I'm not giving up, keep taking the pills."

Jamppa August 30, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I took Otezla as an alternative to Enbrel for 6 weeks.The itching turned out to be the least of my worries.Ideveloped migraine headaches, blurred vision, severe depression and upset stomach. I stopped taking it when I couldn't even get out of bed and saw a psychiatrist.He told me to stop the medication immediately and gave me medication that would eventually counteract the side effects. This took approx 6 weeks.In the meantime I went to see an eye dtr due to the clouds in peripheral vision and blurriness.Turns out, although my last visit to him was in Nov (only five months earlier), my eyesight was completely different. I now need to wear reading glasses& a separate pair for watching tv, driving, distance.If anyone has exper. pls reply."

Renee4023 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 24, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This drug was wonderful for my pain and psorisis but caused horrible depression so I wanted to tell people to watch for mood changes. I thought it was only me but my rheumatologist told me this medication now has a black box warning for severe depression. Please be aware and watch for changes in personality. Sadly I had to discontinue use."

DB? August 17, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Been taking Otezla for 3 weeks. The first week I had a mild but persistent headache, bad heartburn and nausea, bloating, and muscle cramps in my legs. By the second week the headache was gone and down to slight nausea for a few hours after taking a dose. PsA is much improved, lesions are slightly better. By the 3rd week I am having very slight nausea but the PsA is almost gone. My knees, back and hands and feet feel almost normal. Lesions are still improving but very slowly. I'm still using steriod topicals and an occasional dose of Naproxen for joint pain."

MeateyPetey August 13, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This is the only drug that has worked for me -- and I have tried em all! Really. All. Of. Them. I have both plaque psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis. The side effects were minimal in relation to the relief I received. About 50 percent cleared on scalp-- 100 percent cleared every where else on my body. 100 percent relief with arthritis pain."

Mizsherry (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 10, 2016

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Ohhhh crap what a nightmare. This did soften my plaques. But after a week I am quitting. 3 massive migraines. I thought the one I'm currently having would kill me. Went to the hospital. Typical diarrhea. I had massive tendon spasms last night. This drug is good for some but not for me. This was my last hope."

rob allen (taken for less than 1 month) August 9, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"for my psoriasis keep it under control ,but for my arthritis ,omg it's like having a new life my bones stop hurting and I can walk more than ever. Otezla should be for Arthritis more than psoriasis"

Anonymous July 15, 2016

26 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Otezla had recently been approved. After three months on Otezla my skin was mostly clear (psoriasis returned FAST post-Embrel). I was able to stop ibuprofen completely. The pain was reduced to 1/10. Anti-nausea meds helped with stomach discomfort of Otezla side effects. Fourteen months in, the nausea was getting worse, lasting all day. Tremors. Appetite non-existent. Fatigue and anxiety increasing to unbearable levels. Spending more time in bed than not. Pain returning to joints... especially hands, feet, and lower back. Stopped Otezla three weeks ago. Appetite is back, nausea and diarrhea gone. Anxiety minimal. Energy level much higher. Was only going to stop Otezla for two weeks. I believe I am done with Otezla. Quality of life decision."

acmelabs (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 26, 2016

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Within weeks my plaque psoriasis disappeared. Chronic diarhea caused me to stop taking it. P came back within weeks. Several months ago I was in a motorcycle accident and sprained my wrist. Never got better, got worse. Diagnosis of psoriatic arthritis. Thinking of trying it again. Don't know if I can take living on the toilet. Hoping my body will get used to it but not opptomistic."

Jmj49 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 23, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was prescribed Otelza for psoriatic arthritis in my knees and psoriasis on my knees and shins. After 6 months of regular usage, my knee pain has resolved but my psoriasis remains entirely unaffected, (I had way better visible skin results using Triamcinolone cream once a day at bedtime). But what I wanted to share is why I came off Otezla this month: I lost 23 pounds these last 3 months, developed a bowel problem where I had to rush to #2 after most meals, lost some appetite in general, and worst of all, I developed terrible anxiety and fears that I never experienced before. I also lost my sense of joy overall, even though I did not quite reach the lows of depression. I am on day #2 of no Otezla. I am starting to feel better already."

Stillwater_OK (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 21, 2016

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was amazed at how quickly Otezla worked on my Psoriasis & Psoriatic Arthritis. I was ecstatic and I had absolutely no side effects. Unfortunately, it was short lived and 5 months later Otezla stopped completely working for me."

Carr120 May 26, 2016

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I gave it a try for 2 months, but the abdominal pain, diarrhea, and pounding headaches never went away. I verified that you can cut the pills to try to taper up the dosage and they start you on smaller dosed pills to begin with anyway. After 2 months I never got up to the full dose and my side effects never got better. I did try taking the full dose and had rapid diarrhea and had a pounding headache that lasted 3 days. It was less successful than 3 of the 4 TNF-alpha inhibitors I had tried and less effective than Xeljanz (tofacitinib) at treating my psoriatic arthritis."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 20, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have tried other biological and nothing worked. I started on the Otezla and it immediately started to see a difference. I have Sjogrens Secondary with the dry mouth and dry eyes and the Otezla stopped those symptoms and I was able to come off that medicine. My psoriasis is gone by 95 percent. I use a topical for the spot on my elbow. I occasionally have headaches and pain in my knuckles, but overall it is life changing for me."

carrotmater1 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 9, 2016

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been on Otezla for about 6 weeks. I don't know if I'm imagining it but I feel worse than before I started on it. Lower backache, horrible pain in my head and face. Can't get a good night's sleep as my hips hurt. The headaches are the worse,trying to work with a daily headache,I don't have much psoriasis as it cleared up years ago, just some on my scalp now.The doctor says to give it at least 14 weeks to work.Don't know if I'll last that long with the pain in my head/face.I get the meds straight from the company so don't know how much they actually cost."

Net in oz (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 8, 2016