User Reviews for Otezla to treat Psoriatic Arthritis (Page 3)

Otezla Rating Summary

5.3/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 56 medications used in the treatment of Psoriatic Arthritis.

Reviews for Otezla

Renee4023 · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 24, 2016

"I took Otezla as an alternative to Enbrel for 6 weeks.The itching turned out to be the least of my worries.Ideveloped migraine headaches, blurred vision, severe depression and upset stomach. I stopped taking it when I couldn't even get out of bed and saw a psychiatrist.He told me to stop the medication immediately and gave me medication that would eventually counteract the side effects. This took approx 6 weeks.In the meantime I went to see an eye dtr due to the clouds in peripheral vision and blurriness.Turns out, although my last visit to him was in Nov (only five months earlier), my eyesight was completely different. I now need to wear reading glasses& a separate pair for watching tv, driving, distance.If anyone has exper. pls reply."

DB? August 17, 2016

"This drug was wonderful for my pain and psorisis but caused horrible depression so I wanted to tell people to watch for mood changes. I thought it was only me but my rheumatologist told me this medication now has a black box warning for severe depression. Please be aware and watch for changes in personality. Sadly I had to discontinue use."

MeateyPetey August 13, 2016

"Been taking Otezla for 3 weeks. The first week I had a mild but persistent headache, bad heartburn and nausea, bloating, and muscle cramps in my legs. By the second week the headache was gone and down to slight nausea for a few hours after taking a dose. PsA is much improved, lesions are slightly better. By the 3rd week I am having very slight nausea but the PsA is almost gone. My knees, back and hands and feet feel almost normal. Lesions are still improving but very slowly. I'm still using steriod topicals and an occasional dose of Naproxen for joint pain."

Mizsherry · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 10, 2016

"This is the only drug that has worked for me -- and I have tried em all! Really. All. Of. Them. I have both plaque psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis. The side effects were minimal in relation to the relief I received. About 50 percent cleared on scalp-- 100 percent cleared every where else on my body. 100 percent relief with arthritis pain."

rob allen · Taken for less than 1 month August 9, 2016

"Ohhhh crap what a nightmare. This did soften my plaques. But after a week I am quitting. 3 massive migraines. I thought the one I'm currently having would kill me. Went to the hospital. Typical diarrhea. I had massive tendon spasms last night. This drug is good for some but not for me. This was my last hope."

Anonymous July 15, 2016

"for my psoriasis keep it under control ,but for my arthritis ,omg it's like having a new life my bones stop hurting and I can walk more than ever. Otezla should be for Arthritis more than psoriasis"

acmelabs · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 26, 2016

"Otezla had recently been approved. After three months on Otezla my skin was mostly clear (psoriasis returned FAST post-Embrel). I was able to stop ibuprofen completely. The pain was reduced to 1/10. Anti-nausea meds helped with stomach discomfort of Otezla side effects. Fourteen months in, the nausea was getting worse, lasting all day. Tremors. Appetite non-existent. Fatigue and anxiety increasing to unbearable levels. Spending more time in bed than not. Pain returning to joints... especially hands, feet, and lower back. Stopped Otezla three weeks ago. Appetite is back, nausea and diarrhea gone. Anxiety minimal. Energy level much higher. Was only going to stop Otezla for two weeks. I believe I am done with Otezla. Quality of life decision."

Jmj49 · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 23, 2016

"Within weeks my plaque psoriasis disappeared. Chronic diarhea caused me to stop taking it. P came back within weeks. Several months ago I was in a motorcycle accident and sprained my wrist. Never got better, got worse. Diagnosis of psoriatic arthritis. Thinking of trying it again. Don't know if I can take living on the toilet. Hoping my body will get used to it but not opptomistic."

Stillwater_OK · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 21, 2016

"I was prescribed Otelza for psoriatic arthritis in my knees and psoriasis on my knees and shins. After 6 months of regular usage, my knee pain has resolved but my psoriasis remains entirely unaffected, (I had way better visible skin results using Triamcinolone cream once a day at bedtime). But what I wanted to share is why I came off Otezla this month: I lost 23 pounds these last 3 months, developed a bowel problem where I had to rush to #2 after most meals, lost some appetite in general, and worst of all, I developed terrible anxiety and fears that I never experienced before. I also lost my sense of joy overall, even though I did not quite reach the lows of depression. I am on day #2 of no Otezla. I am starting to feel better already."

Carr120 May 26, 2016

"I was amazed at how quickly Otezla worked on my Psoriasis & Psoriatic Arthritis. I was ecstatic and I had absolutely no side effects. Unfortunately, it was short lived and 5 months later Otezla stopped completely working for me."

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 20, 2016

"I gave it a try for 2 months, but the abdominal pain, diarrhea, and pounding headaches never went away. I verified that you can cut the pills to try to taper up the dosage and they start you on smaller dosed pills to begin with anyway. After 2 months I never got up to the full dose and my side effects never got better. I did try taking the full dose and had rapid diarrhea and had a pounding headache that lasted 3 days. It was less successful than 3 of the 4 TNF-alpha inhibitors I had tried and less effective than Xeljanz (tofacitinib) at treating my psoriatic arthritis."

carrotmater1 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 9, 2016

"I have tried other biological and nothing worked. I started on the Otezla and it immediately started to see a difference. I have Sjogrens Secondary with the dry mouth and dry eyes and the Otezla stopped those symptoms and I was able to come off that medicine. My psoriasis is gone by 95 percent. I use a topical for the spot on my elbow. I occasionally have headaches and pain in my knuckles, but overall it is life changing for me."

Net in oz · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 8, 2016

"I've been on Otezla for about 6 weeks. I don't know if I'm imagining it but I feel worse than before I started on it. Lower backache, horrible pain in my head and face. Can't get a good night's sleep as my hips hurt. The headaches are the worse,trying to work with a daily headache,I don't have much psoriasis as it cleared up years ago, just some on my scalp now.The doctor says to give it at least 14 weeks to work.Don't know if I'll last that long with the pain in my head/face.I get the meds straight from the company so don't know how much they actually cost."

Guessing I will survive · Taken for less than 1 month April 26, 2016

"Side effects are tremendous, severe headaches, diarrhea and nearly living on toilet, fever and aches and pains all over. Been taking it for 3 weeks to see if I will ever get use to the side effects and they will subside, so far no. Not sure how much longer I can last on Otezla. Was really hoping it would help..."

Bling16 April 12, 2016

"My legs and elbows were covered and within two months it was all gone !"

OtezlaWonder · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 10, 2016

"For me Otezla is a wonder drug. My Psoriatic Arthritis has been non existent for 9 months now since I started taking Otezla."

Glicks · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 21, 2016

"I've had psoriasis for 35 years and arthritis for perhaps 30. For about 9 years I took Enbrel and methotrexate with very good results. Despite my long-term success with this combo, about 6 months ago I decided to replace Enbrel with Otezla, primarily because I wanted to decrease my use of immunosuppressants and because of the cancer risks associated with Enbrel. For the first 2-3 weeks I had the expected side effects, the worst being having to move my bowels 5-6 times a day. Also some headaches. Now, six months in, I think I am ready to go back to Enbrel. My scalp psoriasis used to be almost non-existent but is now getting bad. Same for my elbows/forearms. I also have many aches and pains that I've never had before...."

howbouthis January 19, 2016

"Thought this would be a perfect treatment for newly diagnosed but relatively minor hand PsA for past 13yrs. Did experience some weight loss that I attribute that to frequent and loose bm's. There was a detectable mood change but again tolerable. My worst problem was muscle spasms that started in one hip migrated to lower back and then to the other hip to the point of not sleeping. I stopped and ramped up slower which seemed to help but starting coming back. Never had any previous problem with side effects of any meds before. I have what should be good benefits working for a world class employer but plan but they would not cough up without trying the immune suppressive stuff first. Currently on sulfasalizine which seems to help enough"

Gb75 · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 15, 2016

"My psoriatic arthritis started about 36 months ago I tried light therapy and was on enbroe for about 8 months with limited improvement from either treatment procedure. My back, head, and legs were very covered with psoriasis and were extremely itchy. My scratching exacerbated the problem and I had bleeding scores all over my legs. One year ago I went on otezla and within 4 months my back and head were completely clear and my legs were vastly improved I did not experience any side effects to speak of although I did lose 10 lbs. Currently my legs are about 80% clear however after about 5 months of use the palms of my hands and my feet were severely infected with psoriasis to the point were they were cracking and bleeding no matter how much l tried to look after them"

Pats fan · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 7, 2016

"Recently diagnosed with Psoriatic Arthritis. Achy stiff joints in fingers, toes, ankles, knees, and hips. Plaque psoriasis on elbows, knees, behind ears, and above eyes. After several medications, because insurance requires it, my Rhum gave me a couple choices including Otezla. I will do anything to stay away from immune suppressive drugs, I don't want to trade one problem for another and likely worse. Been using starter packs for a month with good improvement in plaque psoriasis and no noticeable difference in joint pain. Doc says 2-3 months to see full affect. Unfortunately, my insurance slammed the door on me and is refusing to pay for the drug, appeal was denied. They have no problem paying for immune suppressive drugs because they are cheaper."

North Georgia · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 4, 2016

"My joint pain in hand and feet are all gone . The only side affect I have is a tension headache every evening about the same time, it a good drug I am please with it, going to give it a other month or two to see if tension headache goes away it always on the right side on the back of the head. It help to hear other people side effect to see if any other people have the same effects."

linniepoo January 2, 2016

"Couldn't go up 1 flight of stairs without my heart rate jumping to 140 and was very short of breath. I also experienced severe pain in hip joints 40% of the time. My body felt like it was dying. I was only on it 1 month."

Dead Sea Expert · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 1, 2016

"I am 60 and I have had Psoriatic Arthritis since I was 20. So 40 years of trying all kinds of topical medications, cortisone creams, sun light and UVB treatments, Dead Sea Trips and eventually Methotrexate. 6 months ago, my Dermatogist suggested I try Otezla. My Insurance refused to pay for it and suggested all kinds of Biologic medications. I refused the Biologic meds after reading of dangerous side effects. Otezla approved me on a temporary Bridge program while we are fighting the Insurance. Initial results were astonishing. Both the Arthritis pain and the Psoriasis were gone! I stopped taking the Methtrexate. About 3 months after I started taking Otezla, some Psoriasis patches came back, though the Arthritic pain is minimal."

trxas Bill December 29, 2015

"Otezla gave me a lung infection. For thee weeks I coughed up blood. It took two rounds of hi-powered antibiotics to get over it."

Zfg · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 24, 2015

"I started taking Otezla in January 2015 & stopped in August due to price. It definitely helped my Psoriasis & also psoriatic arthritis but not completely. There are many side affects that are not mentioned. I had very bad backache & also my Hb A1c went up to 6.2 though I am not diabetic & also lost weight on Otezla. After stopping Otezla now A1c is 5.7 & backache is better too."

Learn more about Psoriatic Arthritis

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)