Can I use expired neomycin and polymyxin b sulfates, dexamethasone ophthalmic?
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Oct 24, 2022.
The bottle has been expired for a while now but it has never been opened and still has the seal on it.
No you should not. Firstly the eye drop has expired so its safety and efficacy can no longer be assured. Secondly it contains a steroid. Ophthalmic steroids must be used with special care. Used inappropriately could lead to an uncontrolled infection, steroid induced glaucoma and / or cataracts.
If you think the eye has been scratched you should see your doctor.
Related medical questions
- What causes black hairy tongue?
- How long does it take for neomycin, polymyxin b and hydrocortisone ear drops to work?
- All Eyes On Ibuprofen: What are 10 Things You Need to Know?
- What’s the difference between Eylea and Avastin?
- What drugs cause bags under eyes?
- What are anti-VEGF drugs (VEGF inhibitors)?
- What is the difference between Cequa and Restasis?
- Does Beovu help with wet AMD?
- Does Tyrvaya reduce inflammation?
- Is pink eye (conjunctivitis) a sign of COVID-19?
- What are the differences between Iluvien, Retisert and Yutiq intravitreal implants?
Related support groups
- Neomycin (13 questions, 15 members)
- Dexamethasone (13 questions, 69 members)
- Polymyxin B (8 questions, 12 members)
- Eye Conditions (76 questions, 215 members)