Can I use expired neomycin and polymyxin b sulfates, dexamethasone ophthalmic?
The bottle has been expired for a while now but it has never been opened and still has the seal on it.
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Nov 2, 2020.
No you should not. Firstly the eye drop has expired so its safety and efficacy can no longer be assured. Secondly it contains a steroid. Ophthalmic steroids must be used with special care. Used inappropriately could lead to an uncontrolled infection, steroid induced glaucoma and / or cataracts.
If you think the eye has been scratched you should see your doctor.
Related Medical Questions
- How long does it take for neomycin, polymyxin b and hydrocortisone ear drops to work?
- Is pink eye (conjunctivitis) a sign of COVID-19?
- What are the differences between Iluvien, Retisert and Yutiq intravitreal implants?
- How is brolucizumab administered?
- What eye condition is Oxervate used to treat?