How long does it take for neomycin, polymyxin b and hydrocortisone ear drops to work?
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Nov 2, 2022.
It is hard to know when the neomycin drops will take effect as it will depend on the severity of the infection, your immune response, and if the diagnosis was correct.
If your symptoms have not improved after one week or symptoms deteriorate you should return to the doctor. Neomycin ear drops should not be used longer than 10 days.
Neomycin ear drops are used to treat inflamed bacterial ear infections. The active ingredients are neomycin and polymyxin, antibiotics that kill bacteria, and hydrocortisone which is an anti-inflammatory corticosteroid that helps with swelling and pain. Neomycin ear drops will only relieve the symptoms of bacterial ear infections.
You should continue to use the drops. The usual adult dose is 4 drops 3 or 4 times a day. You need to lie with the affected ear upwards and once the ear drops are instilled you need to remain in that position for at least 5 minutes so the drops penetrate the ear canal. It is also important to shake the bottle before use.
For more information on Neomycin ear drops see:
Related medical questions
- What causes black hairy tongue?
- Can I use expired neomycin and polymyxin b sulfates, dexamethasone ophthalmic?
- Can I use hydrocortisone cream on shingles rash?
- Can you put hydrocortisone cream on hemorrhoids?
- What is the difference between hydrocortisone and cortisone?
- Can hydrocortisone cream be used on sunburn?
- Can you use hydrocortisone cream on babies?
- Does hydrocortisone cream stop itching?
- Dry Skin and Eczema
- What should you keep in your medicine cabinet for kids?
Related support groups
- Neomycin (13 questions, 15 members)
- Hydrocortisone (29 questions, 56 members)
- Polymyxin B (8 questions, 12 members)