Can hydrocortisone cream be used on sunburn?
Yes. OTC hydrocortisone cream may be applied to sunburn for a short period to help reduce swelling and redness. Cool compresses and aloe vera may also be used to help with discomfort.
- Skin Cancer Foundation. Sunburn and Your Skin. 2022. Available at: https://www.skincancer.org/risk-factors/sunburn/. [Accessed May 2, 2022].
Related medical questions
- Can I use hydrocortisone cream on shingles rash?
- Can you put hydrocortisone cream on hemorrhoids?
- What is the difference between hydrocortisone and cortisone?
- How long does it take for neomycin, polymyxin b and hydrocortisone ear drops to work?
- Can you use hydrocortisone cream on babies?
- Does hydrocortisone cream stop itching?
- Poison Ivy
- Dry Skin and Eczema
- What should you keep in your medicine cabinet for kids?
- What are the most common skin conditions? (with photos)
- Is sunburn a side effect of prednisone? Should I avoid being in the sun while taking prednisone?
- Hydrocortisone Information for Consumers
- Hydrocortisone prescribing info & package insert (for Health Professionals)
- Side Effects of Hydrocortisone (detailed)