User Reviews for Azathioprine

Also known as: Azasan, Imuran

Learn more about Azathioprine.

Renal Transplant 2 reviews 7 medications

Crohn's Disease, Acute 3 reviews 14 medications

4.3
Summary of Azathioprine reviews 56 reviews 6.6

Reviews for Azathioprine

For Renal Transplant: "27 years on Azathioprine/Imuran after kidney transplant in '89, Started at 75mg .. down to 25mg 1x day."

Anonymous August 17, 2016

For Wegener's Granulomatosis: "I have Wegener's granulomatosis (aka granulomatosis with polyangiitis) .Was on Imuram for two years, have to switch to Neoral now. Apparently it's not working as it should be. Dreading the switch however, because Imuran gave me few to no side effects. Have experienced hair loss after about a year, but could also have a different cause (I take lots of other medication and many non-drug related causes have to be considered as well, eg hormones, stress,...). Also very cheap drug for me, but we have universal health care in Belgium so don't know of this is also the case elsewhere."

Wegener patient August 8, 2016

Imuran (azathioprine) for Ulcerative Colitis: "As a UC sufferer Azathioprine caused Pancreatitis after three months - I had to stop using it immediately."

John 75 June 16, 2016

For Ulcerative Colitis: "Have been on Azathioprine for about 4 years after asacol quit working. Started with 4 pills per day for first month then cut back to 2 pills which have worked fine, but I now have been experiencing bruising on my hands mostly. Will cut back to 1 pill per day until my next blood-work."

elpogo March 31, 2016

Imuran (azathioprine) for Autoimmune Hepatitis: "I've been taking imuran for 18 years also prednisone Stopped prednisone 3 years ago. And started on alluropinal with Imuran For last 3 years. Have now stopped alluropinal because I've got urticaria they think it's alluropinal . This has been for 6 weeks just started it again 2 days ago and rash back very painful. Not sure what I will take with imuran now if anything. Don't understand. Also take Lipitor Zoloft I'm a diabetic also and take metforam and insulin nova rapid and lantus. Also aspirin. I'm 50 this year and it's worrying"

Ebbi (taken for 10 years or more) March 14, 2016

Imuran (azathioprine) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: "The first two-three weeks were fine. Then I started experiencing a bad headache, the next two days fever and chills. The next evening, severe chills, weakness, dizziness, raging fever (up to 104.3) and began throwing up. It was the worst I've ever felt in my life (and that includes a hospitalization in ICU when first diagnosed). I was on the verge of calling 911. However, it eventually passed (as the medicine worked its way out of my system) and the fever subsided. My Rheumatologist ran a complete series of blood work and she said that I had an allergic reaction. Prior to starting Imuran, I had been tested for liver compatibility and the results showed that I would have no issues so I proceeded. Proceed w/extreme caution."

MI mom February 18, 2016

Imuran (azathioprine) for Crohn's Disease: "Took imuran for several months. Not only did it NOT help my Crohn's disease, I developed pancreatitis and was hospitalized for three days."

ambur83098 January 29, 2016

For Ulcerative Colitis: "Been taking it for 7 months prior to this had really bad flares nothing worked. Steroids wouldn't control. Had UC for 19 years and had spread further up my colon. Was offered azathioprine. So thought why not. Best thing I have ever done, I have my life back. My regular bloods are all normal. Not taking anything else for UC. Toilet once a day. Have joint pain but that a small price to pay. Don't have to worry about being near a toilet."

julie19720 January 24, 2016

Imuran (azathioprine) for Crohn's Disease: "Imuran seemed fine for the first couple weeks, until I got a fever of 103 degrees. My doctor instructed me to stop taking the Imuran if my temperature reached 103 degrees, so I stopped for a week or so. My temperature returned to normal, so my doctor instructed me to start Imuran again. After one day's dosage I experienced the worst imaginable pain in my whole torso. It turns out the Imuran gave me Pancriatitis. I had to spend 3 days on an IV drip in the hospital and an all liquid diet for a week after."

Imuran gave me Pancriatitis :( (taken for less than 1 month) January 24, 2016

For Ulcerative Colitis: "I was extremely sick for over 2 years and refused to take this medication due to how scared I was of the side effects. I decided it was worth the risk and started taking it. I was tired a lot the first month but after one month I felt so good! I have been on it now for about 6 months and I am doing wonderful. I think we hear a lot of the bad things online because the people who these drugs work for are out enjoying life. I hope I give some of you peace of mind."

Tttttttt 100 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 13, 2016

Imuran (azathioprine) for Crohn's Disease, Maintenance: "Our son was very sick for a year before being diagnosed with Crohns Disease, at his worst he was 62 lbs and 12 years old! The poor sweet thing was withering away to nothing! Every bone in his body stuck out It was a terrible time for the entire family to see such a sweet soul struggle so badly. Once we got the diagnosis of Crohns via biopsy and scope his Dr put him on Imuran. 7 months later he now weighs 78lbs and grew almost an inch! He is in remission!!!!!!!!!!!! We are so thankful for this prescription!"

MySonhasCrohnsDisease (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 8, 2016

Imuran (azathioprine) for Ulcerative Colitis: "It is a miracle drug! After about 2 months my stools were becoming well formed but not back to the usual stool! I only go once a day and it really is amazing! Although the risks seem huge I just look at it as though without imuran I could be a lot worse!"

Braeden2748 December 24, 2015

For Ulcerative Colitis: "My colitis had been in remission for about 10 years without any drugs. 2 years ago it flared and we could not control it with Colazal as we had done last time. I was using prednisone with other meds that did not work. I was bleeding constantly and losing weight. Finally he prescribed azathioprine. It took several months to build up in my system but I am in full remission. I also take azacol HD with it. My daily pill intake is 9. All my blood tests have been normal and we are now slowly reducing usage. As far as side effects go its difficult to identify them vs aging (57). I do have strange joint pain at times but I had multiple sport injuries when I was younger. Cancer runs in my family so I want to get off this asap. I would use it again"

Ed2015 December 20, 2015

Imuran (azathioprine) for Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: "Have been on it for over a year, works ok at this point, still having some fatigue and still have pain and swelling in feet and hands. Also take plaquinil so this maybe helping also. Would love to feel as good as the people on benlysta :)"

Systemic Lupus Erythema 1970 December 8, 2015

For Multiple Sclerosis: "Just got new rx for AZA. Had RRMS for 21 years just crossed over into SPMS. R-side foot drop, tingling up to knee caps. R-side weak Tried all the injectables, Acthar, Prednisone, solumedrol so this is my last line of defence. Wish me luck. Will report back @ 1 week intervals "

PilotsWife December 5, 2015

Imuran (azathioprine) for Crohn's Disease, Maintenance: "I was taking Imuran back in 2012 for Crohn's Disease. I switched to Remicade and was doing well until the 6th infusion when I contracted Drug Induced Lupos. After a short time with Prednisone I went back on Imuran. After 3 years I seem to be doing well (no flare-ups), etc. I do have a lot of trouble with my skin. I don't know if the Imuran has anything to do with that or not."

G Eagle (taken for 10 years or more) December 2, 2015

Imuran (azathioprine) for Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: "After a week I started vomiting. My mother also told me I called her in the middle of the night and was confused. I had no idea I even called."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 30, 2015

For Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: "I've been on Imuran for a year now. and before this nothing worked for my SLE and Rhuematoid arthritis. I also take another drug. But before Imuran I couldn't get shoes on because my legs and ankles were so swollen and my feet. I couldn't dress myself. It was so depressing. I haven't been able to go back to work due to seizure disorder, but this medication has given me back a big part of my life, it feels wonderful to be able to be semi self dependant."

dawnkp August 18, 2015

Imuran (azathioprine) for Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: "At the 2 wk mark of taking imuran, I started having a terrible headache. My body started to ache. I couldn't get comfortable not matter what I did and I had trouble sleeping. I had a fever, I had chills and I sweated worse than being at the gym. My urine was golden dark yellow and my skin was pale. I was tested for the flu which was negative and my blood test results were normal (as normal as can b for a lupus patient). My dr thought I had a virus but told me to stop taking the imuran. Within a little over 24 hours, the headache started going away, the urine went back to normal color and my body was feeling better."

Mommylovescj August 15, 2015

Imuran (azathioprine) for Crohn's Disease: "I have been on this medicine for over a year and it worked really well at first now my hair is thinning and I'm having joint pain."

Mrs. Dee June 8, 2015

For Multiple Sclerosis: "I have spasms which is slowly making me less able to walk. I took azathioprine for 3 years, on 150mg per day(gradual increase), with no side effects, normal blood counts and no feelings of good or bad effects. After 3 years, I think the tablets have slowed my disability decline."

pat hen (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 5, 2015

Imuran (azathioprine) for Crohn's Disease: "I've been on Imuran for about 9 years now. After trying the medicine Pentasa where I was taking 4000mg day and it still didn't control my flare ups. This medicine has it side effects too but I haven't experienced many other than pain in my joints recently, which is good since I've been taking Imuran for 9 years!"

scotto01 (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 28, 2015

For Crohn's Disease, Maintenance: "Have been on azathioprine for 7 years for Crohn's maintenance and have not had a single relapse in this time. Had previously had allergic reaction but for some reason I now seem to be able to take it. Currently suffering from dizziness but doubt this is to do with the azathioprine as I have had it so long. Found that it works very quickly for me when I start taking it and is a lot better than being on steroids."

Leviathin (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 31, 2014

Imuran (azathioprine) for Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: "After about 2 weeks into the medicine, I started vomiting severely whenever I took this medication. Ended up in the hospital. I tried this medication again several years later and immediately started vomiting severely. I had to go by ambulance to the emergency room because I could not go by car. I would use extreme caution when first starting this medication because apparently it can cause severe side effects."

small town mom (taken for less than 1 month) May 28, 2014

Imuran (azathioprine) for Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: "I'm a women age 39. I've been on Imuran for over 4 yrs. Before taking Imuran I was on methotrexate and Lyrica which I had EVERY SIDE EFFECT to. But when I switched medicines and began the Imuran it was very helpful! I could tell a big difference in how I felt. I also have fibromyalgia and rheumatoid arthritis as well. Over time and up to this point I'm feeling I need something stronger or even different. I can't tell that I have any known side effects from Imuran. Doctor suggested I try Benlysta. I'm scheduled to start that in two weeks! I'm very nervous because of some of the side effects but you never know until you try! Hope this was helpful! Best of luck!"

BB1217 March 27, 2014