User Reviews for Azathioprine

Rheumatoid Arthritis
3.4

Summary of Azathioprine reviews 6.2 72 reviews

Reviews for Azathioprine

For Crohn's Disease, Maintenance: "I've had Crohn's Disease for 43 years and have been on everything. Each new GI doc I get seems to love Azathioprine. It has never, ever, ever done anything for me. On the plus side, it hasn't given me any side effects either. Note: historically, they have prescribed a low dose, 50mg I believe. Then I finally got a doc who knew that the dose needs to be a "therapeutic" dose which is higher (in my case 3.5 times higher) - they'll know the correct dosage by bloodwork."

WheresTheBathroom May 31, 2018

Imuran (azathioprine) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I was put on Imuran for RA and RA-ILD ( Rheumatoid arthritis, Interstitial lung disease). As another mentioned, this drug is not widely used for RA nor is it widely accepted as a treatment for ILD caused by RA. My docs are hoping to cover both bases with one drug. So far the side effects are monstrous. Willing to go back on a 'regularly prescribed' RA med and hope for the best in the lung flare ups."

Soho79 (taken for less than 1 month) May 24, 2018

Imuran (azathioprine) for Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: "I started on Imuran 6 weeks ago at 4 weeks I noticed an huge improvement in my hand pain and stiffness. At 6 weeks I have noticed a general overall improvement in all my joints, the pain in my knees has been reduced by 2. I can do more stairs with less pain. I also take Celebrex, Plaquenil and Methotrexate too..."

Mel (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 10, 2018

For Inflammatory Bowel Disease: "I have Crohn's, but it is in my small intestine (not terminal ileum this time) and worse in my mouth. Most of the drugs used (except steroids which can only be used for a short period of time) are mainly for the terminal ileum and colon and therefore do nothing for my problem. Worse Entyvio didn't help and made the mouth ulcers significantly worse to the point being unable to brush my teeth, eat almost anything and was eating away at my gums & cheeks. Azathioprine has been the solution, that has kept the mouth ulcers at bay."

June B (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 15, 2018

Imuran (azathioprine) for Crohn's Disease, Maintenance: "I was diagnosed with Crohn's 28 years ago and have been on multiple medications over the years. I had a flare up in January of 2000 after being admitted to the hospital for a failing appendix. That is where I met my current Gastro Doctor. I was put on Imuran with a side of Asacol, but was taken off the Asacol around 7 years ago. I have been taking 100mg of Imuran for 16 years with virtually no side effects and haven't had one flare up to speak of since 2000. I know everyone is different, but Imuran has been super good to me!"

RjS30 (taken for 10 years or more) September 27, 2017

For Ulcerative Colitis: "Have had UC since 1991 and been on Prednisolone and Asacol which became ineffective. Severe attack October 2016 - spent 10 days in hospital. IV steroids and then sent home on reducing steroids - symptoms began to return. Azathioprine prescribed. Certainly helped reduce and eventually stop UC bleeding. Trips to the toilet reduced to around 3 or 4 occasions . Initially caused liver function problems which improved. However the drug has shattered my immune system - have taken any cold, cough or flu that crops up. Makes me fatigued after around 40 minutes exertion. Cannot now play golf, take hill walks or do heavy garden work etc. I guess it is good for some patients and not so good for others. Seeing consultant soon and will discuss options."

ColinAG54CSG (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 31, 2017

For Ulcerative Colitis: "I have been taking it for 5 months it seems to be working for u.c., just having joint pain which makes hard to workout some days. Would like to know what would help the joint pain."

Ti'lo (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 28, 2017

Imuran (azathioprine) for Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: "At the 2 week mark on imuran 50 mg tid, I developed a high temp, severe muscle aches, chilling & started coughing up green mucous, I also had severe weakness. Went to md & put on antibiotics. Called rheumy & I was taken off med. Cbc & cmp lab was normal."

Buterfly (taken for less than 1 month) April 20, 2017

For Ulcerative Colitis: "Azathioprine was prescribed for my daughter as maintenance treatment for her UC. I can't tell anything about if it was working for her symptoms, because her flare symptoms were controlled by other temporary meds such as Ucerus, Cortifoam before she started taking it.. After 2 weeks she's started having hair loss, very rapid, developed pancytopenia, stopped taking it. This is the long story. I don't want to scare anyone, it's great that this drug helps some people."

B and Amy March 31, 2017

Imuran (azathioprine) for Ulcerative Colitis: "With Imuran, I had no quality of life. Daily fatigue and nausea/vomitting. Things are better on Entyvio."

Nausea and Fatigue (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 26, 2017

For Crohn's Disease: "This medicine kept my Crohn's Disease in remission for almost 15 years."

MrGomez (taken for 10 years or more) February 13, 2017

Imuran (azathioprine) for Crohn's Disease, Acute: "Works great for my Crohn's with few minor side effects. As of 2016 Cigna/Express scripts will NOT cover as a preventative med."

Dallas1 December 24, 2016

Imuran (azathioprine) for Ulcerative Colitis: "Have been on Imuran for 6 years and it has helped some off and on. In the beginning I went to the bathroom about 10 to 12 times in a day thus losing a lot weight which I didn't expect. Now I go about 3 to 4 times a day and I do have a flare up every now and then. Was finally weaned off of prednisone. Have gained some weight back. Overall the medication has helped though my immune system has been weakened."

No mercy jones November 9, 2016

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I started taking this medicine to help with my breathing issues caused by RA. The first thing I notices was a mild headache, joint pain had increased and both hands and feet were swollen, but I was told to give it a couple of weeks to adjust to the medicine. During week 2/3 my breathing got worse and I had a hard time lying on my back without chest pain, I had a stronger headache than in the beginning and it got increasing worse over the weeks, and nausea and stomach craps. This medicine did nothing for me and made me feel worse, so I had to stop. good luck."

BK (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 12, 2016

Imuran (azathioprine) for Crohn's Disease, Maintenance: "I was only diagnosed in May and have been on Uceris and Imuran. Currently taken Imuran 50mg and now that I have been on it for a few month I have been getting nausea every time I take it. Zofran does not even help they are talking about doing the infusion now. Im just so tired of being sick. Did this happen to anyone else?"

Anonymous October 3, 2016

For Ulcerative Colitis: "I was given Azathioprine for about 3 weeks for my Ulcerative colitis. First two weeks were great, start of 3 week I had excruciating pains in my stomach that they initially thought could be Crohn's disease. Caused severe pancreatitis that I meant I was hospitalized for two weeks. Needless to say, never again."

DaveUK October 2, 2016

For Renal Transplant: "27 years on Azathioprine/Imuran after kidney transplant in '89, Started at 75mg .. down to 25mg 1x day."

Anonymous August 17, 2016

For Wegener's Granulomatosis: "I have Wegener's granulomatosis (aka granulomatosis with polyangiitis) .Was on Imuram for two years, have to switch to Neoral now. Apparently it's not working as it should be. Dreading the switch however, because Imuran gave me few to no side effects. Have experienced hair loss after about a year, but could also have a different cause (I take lots of other medication and many non-drug related causes have to be considered as well, eg hormones, stress,...). Also very cheap drug for me, but we have universal health care in Belgium so don't know of this is also the case elsewhere."

Wegener patient August 8, 2016

Imuran (azathioprine) for Ulcerative Colitis: "As a UC sufferer Azathioprine caused Pancreatitis after three months - I had to stop using it immediately."

John 75 June 16, 2016

For Ulcerative Colitis: "Have been on Azathioprine for about 4 years after asacol quit working. Started with 4 pills per day for first month then cut back to 2 pills which have worked fine, but I now have been experiencing bruising on my hands mostly. Will cut back to 1 pill per day until my next blood-work."

elpogo March 31, 2016

Imuran (azathioprine) for Autoimmune Hepatitis: "I've been taking imuran for 18 years also prednisone Stopped prednisone 3 years ago. And started on alluropinal with Imuran For last 3 years. Have now stopped alluropinal because I've got urticaria they think it's alluropinal . This has been for 6 weeks just started it again 2 days ago and rash back very painful. Not sure what I will take with imuran now if anything. Don't understand. Also take Lipitor Zoloft I'm a diabetic also and take metforam and insulin nova rapid and lantus. Also aspirin. I'm 50 this year and it's worrying"

Ebbi (taken for 10 years or more) March 14, 2016

Imuran (azathioprine) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: "The first two-three weeks were fine. Then I started experiencing a bad headache, the next two days fever and chills. The next evening, severe chills, weakness, dizziness, raging fever (up to 104.3) and began throwing up. It was the worst I've ever felt in my life (and that includes a hospitalization in ICU when first diagnosed). I was on the verge of calling 911. However, it eventually passed (as the medicine worked its way out of my system) and the fever subsided. My Rheumatologist ran a complete series of blood work and she said that I had an allergic reaction. Prior to starting Imuran, I had been tested for liver compatibility and the results showed that I would have no issues so I proceeded. Proceed w/extreme caution."

MI mom February 18, 2016

Imuran (azathioprine) for Crohn's Disease: "Took imuran for several months. Not only did it NOT help my Crohn's disease, I developed pancreatitis and was hospitalized for three days."

ambur83098 January 29, 2016

For Ulcerative Colitis: "Been taking it for 7 months prior to this had really bad flares nothing worked. Steroids wouldn't control. Had UC for 19 years and had spread further up my colon. Was offered azathioprine. So thought why not. Best thing I have ever done, I have my life back. My regular bloods are all normal. Not taking anything else for UC. Toilet once a day. Have joint pain but that a small price to pay. Don't have to worry about being near a toilet."

julie19720 January 24, 2016

Imuran (azathioprine) for Crohn's Disease: "Imuran seemed fine for the first couple weeks, until I got a fever of 103 degrees. My doctor instructed me to stop taking the Imuran if my temperature reached 103 degrees, so I stopped for a week or so. My temperature returned to normal, so my doctor instructed me to start Imuran again. After one day's dosage I experienced the worst imaginable pain in my whole torso. It turns out the Imuran gave me Pancriatitis. I had to spend 3 days on an IV drip in the hospital and an all liquid diet for a week after."

Imuran gave me Pancriatitis :( (taken for less than 1 month) January 24, 2016