User Reviews for Azathioprine

Rheumatoid Arthritis 3.6
Summary of Azathioprine reviews 6.1 96 reviews

Reviews for Azathioprine

Cash ap · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 29, 2020

For Crohn's Disease, Maintenance: “Not happy . this made me feel high all the time”

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 27, 2020

For Myasthenia Gravis: “I've been taking this for eight months and just got out of the hospital where I was diagnosed with pancreatitis , probably caused by this drug. I have had stomach issues and diarrhea the entire time I have been on this”

Mara · Taken for 10 years or more May 21, 2020

Imuran (azathioprine) for Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: “I have been taking Imuran for over 40 years since I was diagnosed with Lupus. My Lupus have been in remission for over 40 years. I have had a kidney transplant for over 30 years ( failure due to my Lupus). I am strong believer by taking the Imuran my Lupus being in remission and having my transplant for so many years is part of the reason for taking Imuran.”

steve · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 15, 2020

For Crohn's Disease, Maintenance: “azathioprine is no good for me, it caused side effects of muscle and joint pains, and infections.”

Karagg February 26, 2020

Imuran (azathioprine) for Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: “I was prescribed imuran for systemic lupus. I took the medicine for about one month. I had a terrible “allergic” reaction- I was hospitalized for several days. High fever, liver, joint pain. It is my understanding that Imuran can cause an allergic reaction (it was not a unique reaction to me). I have since learned (from a doctor at the John Hopkins Lupus Center) that there is a test to determine if you will tolerate Imuran. The test checks the level/presence of an enzyme necessary for the body to “process” or tolerate Imuran. I would ask your doctor about the test for Imuran tolerance before starting Imuran - my allergic reaction was very bad. I am not an alarmist and I understand that Imuran is an effective medicine for many people. However, I wish I had known that a test was available to determine if a patient will tolerate Imuran as this would have been extremely helpful and I could have avoided a very serious allergic reaction to Imuran.”

NC · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 22, 2020

For Pemphigus: “I am a 38 year old female who was diagnosed with mouth, throat and esophageal pemphigus vulgaris in November 2018. I was given prednisone almost immediately, and two shots of rituximab in January 2019. In January 2019 I was started on azathioprine on a dose of 150mg. I was doing very well till November 2019 ... as from November I’ve been getting these weird chills especially in my back. Went to the ER twice- blood tests were run and on both occasions I was told the only problems is a high count of WBC in my urine - I don’t believe that is the cause of my chills. All I know is that they are driving me nuts. Can anyone relate?”

Ruby · Taken for less than 1 month January 14, 2020

Imuran (azathioprine) for Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: “So, I’m on a few days on Imuran for SLE. The first day, was okay for me.. but, then the days after that, I started getting headache, feeling nausea and on and off diarrhoea. I also don’t feel hungry nor full. Just average basically, all the time. I also noticed I started losing some weight. Not, sure what will happen in the future. Just hoping for the best. ”

Ayanna January 4, 2020

Imuran (azathioprine) for Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: “I have been on imuran three years for SLE and it works really well for me. The side effects I had diarrhea for the first few months but it has improved. I barely get any pain and it has improved my kidney function.”

Filter queen · Taken for 5 to 10 years November 29, 2019

For Crohn's Disease: “I have been taking azathioprine for about 9 years and 5 years ago began experiencing joint pain, intense itching and hair loss. My doctor dismisses all these problems as not being related to medication. I'm starting to think that it's time to seek another opinion. Just wondering if anyone else had the same symptoms?”

Kk November 28, 2019

For Autoimmune Hepatitis: “Was diagnosed with autoimmune hepatitis in '06. Been on azapthioprine for 12 years. No problems, no side effects”

Lee · Taken for 5 to 10 years September 28, 2019

For Autoimmune Hepatitis: “Was on Azathioprine for 4-5 years it got my liver numbers down and kept them down. But into the 5th year I ask to try weaning off or lowering dosage, I was constantly getting sick. It seemed that I was being knocked down at least once a month from a cold or just complete fatigue. I also noticed if I went in highly public areas, stores or restaurants I would be laid up the next two days. I did good at lower dosage then stopped taking all together for almost 2 years. I sub-stained knee injuries and required pain medication until then along with lidocaine patches my numbers spiked to 300’s and quickly so I’m back on the Azathioprine. Hopefully I will be able to go off again after healing or something that won’t over suppress my immune system to point I cannot be out in public will come along.”

SueQ · Taken for less than 1 month August 16, 2019

Imuran (azathioprine) for Crohn's Disease: “Was prescribed Imuran as part of combination therapy with Inflectra after a bad flare of Crohn's that landed me in hospital for 2 weeks. I started taking 1 tablet a day, increased to 2 after a week then 2 1/2 after another week. Once I got to the full dose I started to notice some stomach upset and after a week I started vomiting profusely and was bed ridden for 3 days. Also experienced hair loss. My GI told me to stop taking it for now. Sure hope he has another idea as clearly I can’t tolerate Imuran. I felt immediately better after stopping the drug. Good luck to anyone battling this horrible disease!”

TP · Taken for 5 to 10 years August 2, 2019

For Crohn's Disease, Maintenance: “Have using AZA - (azathioprine) for almost 10 years. Going great. No flares, healed me up last 2 colonoscopies over 4 years results were if I wasn't diagnosed with Crohns years ago, they wouldn't believe it. At first was taking 200 mg once a day, (1 mg per lb) felt like rubbish, no energy,...weak. Doctor told be to stick with it, suggested splitting in half 100 mg in the morning, 100 mg in the evening. Worked great after about a month or so.”

kbs · Taken for less than 1 month July 26, 2019

For Ulcerative Colitis: “Tried azathioprine for Ulcerative Colitis (UC) on two separate occasions with same results, rash, vomiting, and general loss of energy”

Lucky · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 22, 2019

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: “Started on low dose of Imuran ... 50 mg. Was breathing much better after a 3 weeks of blood tests, Dr thought it was okay to increase dose. Went to 100 mg ... couple weeks later joint and muscle pain worsened, shortness of breath, just miserable. Dr said it would take time needed 6 - 8 weeks for medication to work. Increased dose to 150 mg a week ago. I feel horrible. I have described side effects to Dr. No luck ... what to do? I'm very tempted to just stop taking this medication. I feel horrible!”

christie07 April 29, 2019

Imuran (azathioprine) for Inflammatory Bowel Disease: “Shortly after commencing Imuran at a low dose (50mg/day) I developed a severe & persistent headache and also felt very tired and listless. One week later everything got a lot worse: within 24 hours of commencing the higher dosage (100mg/day) I began to feel extremely nauseous, and about a hour later non-stop vomiting commenced. I couldn't even swallow a mouthful of water without bringing it up almost immediately. That night all the joints in my body began to swell up and become very painful. By 3am I could barely walk, and by 7am my husband had to call in emergency services: my BP had dropped to 56/40, so I was immediately taken to hospital where I was treated with copious amounts of IV fluids, anti-emetics and high doses of corticosteroids. Over the next few days I very gradually began to improve & was discharged from hospital 6 days later, but it took many weeks before I was anywhere near back to normal.”

maialz · Taken for less than 1 month March 17, 2019

For Crohn's Disease, Maintenance: “Hi guys I just started taking 50mg of azathioprine and am also on prednisolone. I have heard that the azathioprine can thin your skin and make you burn easily in the sun. Any truth in this?”

fluffy · Taken for 10 years or more March 2, 2019

Imuran (azathioprine) for Ulcerative Colitis: “I have been on Imuran for over 10 years now. I am now going through my first flareup. I still take it along with a diarrhea med. The imuran has been a life saver for me. Fatigue is normal, have not had to stop any activity. We ride 4 wheelers, drag race, etc. I love the medicine.”

Mary · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 24, 2018

Imuran (azathioprine) for Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: “I've been on Imuran for 6 months and it hasn't helped at all. In fact, I'm sicker now on it. The biggest side effects for me are loss of appetite, nausea and diarrhea. The diarrhea is horrible. I go at least 10 times a day and nothing helps. I'm exhausted from being so dehydrated and malnourished. When I see my rheumatologist in a week, I'm begging him to try anything else but Imuran. I can't handle it anymore.”

Big BZ · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 2, 2018

For Autoimmune Hepatitis: “I was diagnosed in 2015. Prednisone until levels came under control and they added the Azathioprine to 'keep me there'. Worked great, levels always in line, made a general conversational comment about getting older- almost 60- and feeling a little 'foggy' on name recall.They took me off immediately out of concerns around memory loss. I don't know if an actual side effect or just getting older. But now struggling to find a replacement. My experience positive until recently but I think I want to give it another try and just monitor more closely. I had NO side effects from the Azathioprine other than that potential.”

K · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 21, 2018

For Crohn's Disease: “Azathioprine was given to me for my Crohns Colitis after Pentasa failed to do the job at all. At first it was horrible. Lack of energy and severe nausea after taking it. This led me to become pretty depressed and the DR was going to take me off of it because my blood work wasn't showing up good. However after 2-3 months the side effects went away and I haven't had a problem with Crohn's at all for about 4 years! Please give this medicine a shot even if you feel awful. It will hopefully pass and you will get relief like I did. I'd give it a 10 if it wasn't for the side effects and blood tests you'll need to take for the rest of your time on it. Oh heres a tip that helped me too: If you get bad nausea then try taking it with a mouthful of food. Mix it in with the food in your mouth. That helped me not get as sick.”

Monico · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 14, 2018

For Crohn's Disease: “High liver count! On so much medication, now I have extremely high blood pressure”

TJ · Taken for 5 to 10 years August 16, 2018

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: “Imuran has very effectively controlled my RA for the past five years. It is great to find a med other than a biologic that keeps me in remission.”

bingnune · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 22, 2018

For Behcet's Disease: “After trying the first couple of medications that are indicated as treatment for this condition without results, my physician decided to try azathioprine. Again, increasing the dosage until I was experiencing relief, we topped out. At the maximum recommended dosage, I still only get some of the intended relief. I wish it worked better for me but I don't have any side effects. Until we can figure out something that is more effective, I'm pleased with the results of azathioprine.”

WheresTheBathroom May 31, 2018

For Crohn's Disease, Maintenance: “I've had Crohn's Disease for 43 years and have been on everything. Each new GI doc I get seems to love Azathioprine. It has never, ever, ever done anything for me. On the plus side, it hasn't given me any side effects either. Note: historically, they have prescribed a low dose, 50mg I believe. Then I finally got a doc who knew that the dose needs to be a "therapeutic" dose which is higher (in my case 3.5 times higher) - they'll know the correct dosage by bloodwork.”