User Reviews for Azathioprine

Also known as: Azasan, Imuran

Learn more about Azathioprine.

Renal Transplant 2 reviews 7 medications

Rheumatoid Arthritis 4 reviews 344 medications

3.8
Summary of Azathioprine reviews 65 reviews 6.6

Reviews for Azathioprine

Imuran (azathioprine) for Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: "At the 2 week mark on imuran 50 mg tid, I developed a high temp, severe muscle aches, chilling & started coughing up green mucous, I also had severe weakness. Went to md & put on antibiotics. Called rheumy & I was taken off med. Cbc & cmp lab was normal."

Buterfly (taken for less than 1 month) April 20, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Ulcerative Colitis: "Azathioprine was prescribed for my daughter as maintenance treatment for her UC. I can't tell anything about if it was working for her symptoms, because her flare symptoms were controlled by other temporary meds such as Ucerus, Cortifoam before she started taking it.. After 2 weeks she's started having hair loss, very rapid, developed pancytopenia, stopped taking it. This is the long story. I don't want to scare anyone, it's great that this drug helps some people."

B and Amy March 31, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Imuran (azathioprine) for Ulcerative Colitis: "With Imuran, I had no quality of life. Daily fatigue and nausea/vomitting. Things are better on Entyvio."

Nausea and Fatigue (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 26, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Crohn's Disease: "This medicine kept my Crohn's Disease in remission for almost 15 years."

MrGomez (taken for 10 years or more) February 13, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Imuran (azathioprine) for Crohn's Disease, Acute: "Works great for my Crohn's with few minor side effects. As of 2016 Cigna/Express scripts will NOT cover as a preventative med."

Dallas1 December 24, 2016

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Imuran (azathioprine) for Ulcerative Colitis: "Have been on Imuran for 6 years and it has helped some off and on. In the beginning I went to the bathroom about 10 to 12 times in a day thus losing a lot weight which I didn't expect. Now I go about 3 to 4 times a day and I do have a flare up every now and then. Was finally weaned off of prednisone. Have gained some weight back. Overall the medication has helped though my immune system has been weakened."

No mercy jones November 9, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I started taking this medicine to help with my breathing issues caused by RA. The first thing I notices was a mild headache, joint pain had increased and both hands and feet were swollen, but I was told to give it a couple of weeks to adjust to the medicine. During week 2/3 my breathing got worse and I had a hard time lying on my back without chest pain, I had a stronger headache than in the beginning and it got increasing worse over the weeks, and nausea and stomach craps. This medicine did nothing for me and made me feel worse, so I had to stop. good luck."

BK (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 12, 2016

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Imuran (azathioprine) for Crohn's Disease, Maintenance: "I was only diagnosed in May and have been on Uceris and Imuran. Currently taken Imuran 50mg and now that I have been on it for a few month I have been getting nausea every time I take it. Zofran does not even help they are talking about doing the infusion now. Im just so tired of being sick. Did this happen to anyone else?"

Anonymous October 3, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Ulcerative Colitis: "I was given Azathioprine for about 3 weeks for my Ulcerative colitis. First two weeks were great, start of 3 week I had excruciating pains in my stomach that they initially thought could be Crohn's disease. Caused severe pancreatitis that I meant I was hospitalized for two weeks. Needless to say, never again."

DaveUK October 2, 2016

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Renal Transplant: "27 years on Azathioprine/Imuran after kidney transplant in '89, Started at 75mg .. down to 25mg 1x day."

Anonymous August 17, 2016

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Wegener's Granulomatosis: "I have Wegener's granulomatosis (aka granulomatosis with polyangiitis) .Was on Imuram for two years, have to switch to Neoral now. Apparently it's not working as it should be. Dreading the switch however, because Imuran gave me few to no side effects. Have experienced hair loss after about a year, but could also have a different cause (I take lots of other medication and many non-drug related causes have to be considered as well, eg hormones, stress,...). Also very cheap drug for me, but we have universal health care in Belgium so don't know of this is also the case elsewhere."

Wegener patient August 8, 2016

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Imuran (azathioprine) for Ulcerative Colitis: "As a UC sufferer Azathioprine caused Pancreatitis after three months - I had to stop using it immediately."

John 75 June 16, 2016

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Ulcerative Colitis: "Have been on Azathioprine for about 4 years after asacol quit working. Started with 4 pills per day for first month then cut back to 2 pills which have worked fine, but I now have been experiencing bruising on my hands mostly. Will cut back to 1 pill per day until my next blood-work."

elpogo March 31, 2016

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Imuran (azathioprine) for Autoimmune Hepatitis: "I've been taking imuran for 18 years also prednisone Stopped prednisone 3 years ago. And started on alluropinal with Imuran For last 3 years. Have now stopped alluropinal because I've got urticaria they think it's alluropinal . This has been for 6 weeks just started it again 2 days ago and rash back very painful. Not sure what I will take with imuran now if anything. Don't understand. Also take Lipitor Zoloft I'm a diabetic also and take metforam and insulin nova rapid and lantus. Also aspirin. I'm 50 this year and it's worrying"

Ebbi (taken for 10 years or more) March 14, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Imuran (azathioprine) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: "The first two-three weeks were fine. Then I started experiencing a bad headache, the next two days fever and chills. The next evening, severe chills, weakness, dizziness, raging fever (up to 104.3) and began throwing up. It was the worst I've ever felt in my life (and that includes a hospitalization in ICU when first diagnosed). I was on the verge of calling 911. However, it eventually passed (as the medicine worked its way out of my system) and the fever subsided. My Rheumatologist ran a complete series of blood work and she said that I had an allergic reaction. Prior to starting Imuran, I had been tested for liver compatibility and the results showed that I would have no issues so I proceeded. Proceed w/extreme caution."

MI mom February 18, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Imuran (azathioprine) for Crohn's Disease: "Took imuran for several months. Not only did it NOT help my Crohn's disease, I developed pancreatitis and was hospitalized for three days."

ambur83098 January 29, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Ulcerative Colitis: "Been taking it for 7 months prior to this had really bad flares nothing worked. Steroids wouldn't control. Had UC for 19 years and had spread further up my colon. Was offered azathioprine. So thought why not. Best thing I have ever done, I have my life back. My regular bloods are all normal. Not taking anything else for UC. Toilet once a day. Have joint pain but that a small price to pay. Don't have to worry about being near a toilet."

julie19720 January 24, 2016

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Imuran (azathioprine) for Crohn's Disease: "Imuran seemed fine for the first couple weeks, until I got a fever of 103 degrees. My doctor instructed me to stop taking the Imuran if my temperature reached 103 degrees, so I stopped for a week or so. My temperature returned to normal, so my doctor instructed me to start Imuran again. After one day's dosage I experienced the worst imaginable pain in my whole torso. It turns out the Imuran gave me Pancriatitis. I had to spend 3 days on an IV drip in the hospital and an all liquid diet for a week after."

Imuran gave me Pancriatitis :( (taken for less than 1 month) January 24, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Ulcerative Colitis: "I was extremely sick for over 2 years and refused to take this medication due to how scared I was of the side effects. I decided it was worth the risk and started taking it. I was tired a lot the first month but after one month I felt so good! I have been on it now for about 6 months and I am doing wonderful. I think we hear a lot of the bad things online because the people who these drugs work for are out enjoying life. I hope I give some of you peace of mind."

Tttttttt 100 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 13, 2016

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Imuran (azathioprine) for Crohn's Disease, Maintenance: "Our son was very sick for a year before being diagnosed with Crohns Disease, at his worst he was 62 lbs and 12 years old! The poor sweet thing was withering away to nothing! Every bone in his body stuck out It was a terrible time for the entire family to see such a sweet soul struggle so badly. Once we got the diagnosis of Crohns via biopsy and scope his Dr put him on Imuran. 7 months later he now weighs 78lbs and grew almost an inch! He is in remission!!!!!!!!!!!! We are so thankful for this prescription!"

MySonhasCrohnsDisease (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 8, 2016

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Imuran (azathioprine) for Ulcerative Colitis: "It is a miracle drug! After about 2 months my stools were becoming well formed but not back to the usual stool! I only go once a day and it really is amazing! Although the risks seem huge I just look at it as though without imuran I could be a lot worse!"

Braeden2748 December 24, 2015

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Ulcerative Colitis: "My colitis had been in remission for about 10 years without any drugs. 2 years ago it flared and we could not control it with Colazal as we had done last time. I was using prednisone with other meds that did not work. I was bleeding constantly and losing weight. Finally he prescribed azathioprine. It took several months to build up in my system but I am in full remission. I also take azacol HD with it. My daily pill intake is 9. All my blood tests have been normal and we are now slowly reducing usage. As far as side effects go its difficult to identify them vs aging (57). I do have strange joint pain at times but I had multiple sport injuries when I was younger. Cancer runs in my family so I want to get off this asap. I would use it again"

Ed2015 December 20, 2015

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Imuran (azathioprine) for Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: "Have been on it for over a year, works ok at this point, still having some fatigue and still have pain and swelling in feet and hands. Also take plaquinil so this maybe helping also. Would love to feel as good as the people on benlysta :)"

Systemic Lupus Erythema 1970 December 8, 2015

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Multiple Sclerosis: "Just got new rx for AZA. Had RRMS for 21 years just crossed over into SPMS. R-side foot drop, tingling up to knee caps. R-side weak Tried all the injectables, Acthar, Prednisone, solumedrol so this is my last line of defence. Wish me luck. Will report back @ 1 week intervals "

PilotsWife December 5, 2015

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Imuran (azathioprine) for Crohn's Disease, Maintenance: "I was taking Imuran back in 2012 for Crohn's Disease. I switched to Remicade and was doing well until the 6th infusion when I contracted Drug Induced Lupos. After a short time with Prednisone I went back on Imuran. After 3 years I seem to be doing well (no flare-ups), etc. I do have a lot of trouble with my skin. I don't know if the Imuran has anything to do with that or not."

G Eagle (taken for 10 years or more) December 2, 2015