User Reviews for Azathioprine

4.2

Summary of Azathioprine reviews 6.3 81 reviews

Reviews for Azathioprine

christie07 April 29, 2019

Imuran (azathioprine) for Inflammatory Bowel Disease: "Shortly after commencing Imuran at a low dose (50mg/day) I developed a severe & persistent headache and also felt very tired and listless. One week later everything got a lot worse: within 24 hours of commencing the higher dosage (100mg/day) I began to feel extremely nauseous, and about a hour later non-stop vomiting commenced. I couldn't even swallow a mouthful of water without bringing it up almost immediately. That night all the joints in my body began to swell up and become very painful. By 3am I could barely walk, and by 7am my husband had to call in emergency services: my BP had dropped to 56/40, so I was immediately taken to hospital where I was treated with copious amounts of IV fluids, anti-emetics and high doses of corticosteroids. Over the next few days I very gradually began to improve & was discharged from hospital 6 days later, but it took many weeks before I was anywhere near back to normal."

maialz · Taken for less than 1 month March 17, 2019

For Crohn's Disease, Maintenance: "Hi guys I just started taking 50mg of azathioprine and am also on prednisolone. I have heard that the azathioprine can thin your skin and make you burn easily in the sun. Any truth in this?"

fluffy · Taken for 10 years or more March 2, 2019

Imuran (azathioprine) for Ulcerative Colitis: "I have been on Imuran for over 10 years now. I am now going through my first flareup. I still take it along with a diarrhea med. The imuran has been a life saver for me. Fatigue is normal, have not had to stop any activity. We ride 4 wheelers, drag race, etc. I love the medicine."

Mary · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 24, 2018

Imuran (azathioprine) for Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: "I've been on Imuran for 6 months and it hasn't helped at all. In fact, I'm sicker now on it. The biggest side effects for me are loss of appetite, nausea and diarrhea. The diarrhea is horrible. I go at least 10 times a day and nothing helps. I'm exhausted from being so dehydrated and malnourished. When I see my rheumatologist in a week, I'm begging him to try anything else but Imuran. I can't handle it anymore."

Big BZ · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 2, 2018

For Autoimmune Hepatitis: "I was diagnosed in 2015. Prednisone until levels came under control and they added the Azathioprine to 'keep me there'. Worked great, levels always in line, made a general conversational comment about getting older- almost 60- and feeling a little 'foggy' on name recall.They took me off immediately out of concerns around memory loss. I don't know if an actual side effect or just getting older. But now struggling to find a replacement. My experience positive until recently but I think I want to give it another try and just monitor more closely. I had NO side effects from the Azathioprine other than that potential."

K · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 21, 2018

For Crohn's Disease: "Azathioprine was given to me for my Crohns Colitis after Pentasa failed to do the job at all. At first it was horrible. Lack of energy and severe nausea after taking it. This led me to become pretty depressed and the DR was going to take me off of it because my blood work wasn't showing up good. However after 2-3 months the side effects went away and I haven't had a problem with Crohn's at all for about 4 years! Please give this medicine a shot even if you feel awful. It will hopefully pass and you will get relief like I did. I'd give it a 10 if it wasn't for the side effects and blood tests you'll need to take for the rest of your time on it. Oh heres a tip that helped me too: If you get bad nausea then try taking it with a mouthful of food. Mix it in with the food in your mouth. That helped me not get as sick."

Monico · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 14, 2018

For Crohn's Disease: "High liver count! On so much medication, now I have extremely high blood pressure"

TJ · Taken for 5 to 10 years August 16, 2018

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Imuran has very effectively controlled my RA for the past five years. It is great to find a med other than a biologic that keeps me in remission."

bingnune · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 22, 2018

For Behcet's Disease: "After trying the first couple of medications that are indicated as treatment for this condition without results, my physician decided to try azathioprine. Again, increasing the dosage until I was experiencing relief, we topped out. At the maximum recommended dosage, I still only get some of the intended relief. I wish it worked better for me but I don't have any side effects. Until we can figure out something that is more effective, I'm pleased with the results of azathioprine."

WheresTheBathroom May 31, 2018

For Crohn's Disease, Maintenance: "I've had Crohn's Disease for 43 years and have been on everything. Each new GI doc I get seems to love Azathioprine. It has never, ever, ever done anything for me. On the plus side, it hasn't given me any side effects either. Note: historically, they have prescribed a low dose, 50mg I believe. Then I finally got a doc who knew that the dose needs to be a "therapeutic" dose which is higher (in my case 3.5 times higher) - they'll know the correct dosage by bloodwork."

Soho79 · Taken for less than 1 month May 24, 2018

Imuran (azathioprine) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I was put on Imuran for RA and RA-ILD ( Rheumatoid arthritis, Interstitial lung disease). As another mentioned, this drug is not widely used for RA nor is it widely accepted as a treatment for ILD caused by RA. My docs are hoping to cover both bases with one drug. So far the side effects are monstrous. Willing to go back on a 'regularly prescribed' RA med and hope for the best in the lung flare ups."

Mel · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 10, 2018

Imuran (azathioprine) for Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: "I started on Imuran 6 weeks ago at 4 weeks I noticed an huge improvement in my hand pain and stiffness. At 6 weeks I have noticed a general overall improvement in all my joints, the pain in my knees has been reduced by 2. I can do more stairs with less pain. I also take Celebrex, Plaquenil and Methotrexate too..."

June B · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 15, 2018

For Inflammatory Bowel Disease: "I have Crohn's, but it is in my small intestine (not terminal ileum this time) and worse in my mouth. Most of the drugs used (except steroids which can only be used for a short period of time) are mainly for the terminal ileum and colon and therefore do nothing for my problem. Worse Entyvio didn't help and made the mouth ulcers significantly worse to the point being unable to brush my teeth, eat almost anything and was eating away at my gums & cheeks. Azathioprine has been the solution, that has kept the mouth ulcers at bay."

RjS30 · Taken for 10 years or more September 27, 2017

Imuran (azathioprine) for Crohn's Disease, Maintenance: "I was diagnosed with Crohn's 28 years ago and have been on multiple medications over the years. I had a flare up in January of 2000 after being admitted to the hospital for a failing appendix. That is where I met my current Gastro Doctor. I was put on Imuran with a side of Asacol, but was taken off the Asacol around 7 years ago. I have been taking 100mg of Imuran for 16 years with virtually no side effects and haven't had one flare up to speak of since 2000. I know everyone is different, but Imuran has been super good to me!"

ColinAG54CSG · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 31, 2017

For Ulcerative Colitis: "Have had UC since 1991 and been on Prednisolone and Asacol which became ineffective. Severe attack October 2016 - spent 10 days in hospital. IV steroids and then sent home on reducing steroids - symptoms began to return. Azathioprine prescribed. Certainly helped reduce and eventually stop UC bleeding. Trips to the toilet reduced to around 3 or 4 occasions . Initially caused liver function problems which improved. However the drug has shattered my immune system - have taken any cold, cough or flu that crops up. Makes me fatigued after around 40 minutes exertion. Cannot now play golf, take hill walks or do heavy garden work etc. I guess it is good for some patients and not so good for others. Seeing consultant soon and will discuss options."

Ti'lo · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 28, 2017

For Ulcerative Colitis: "I have been taking it for 5 months it seems to be working for u.c., just having joint pain which makes hard to workout some days. Would like to know what would help the joint pain."

Buterfly · Taken for less than 1 month April 20, 2017

Imuran (azathioprine) for Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: "At the 2 week mark on imuran 50 mg tid, I developed a high temp, severe muscle aches, chilling & started coughing up green mucous, I also had severe weakness. Went to md & put on antibiotics. Called rheumy & I was taken off med. Cbc & cmp lab was normal."

B and Amy March 31, 2017

For Ulcerative Colitis: "Azathioprine was prescribed for my daughter as maintenance treatment for her UC. I can't tell anything about if it was working for her symptoms, because her flare symptoms were controlled by other temporary meds such as Ucerus, Cortifoam before she started taking it.. After 2 weeks she's started having hair loss, very rapid, developed pancytopenia, stopped taking it. This is the long story. I don't want to scare anyone, it's great that this drug helps some people."

Nausea and Fatigue · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 26, 2017

Imuran (azathioprine) for Ulcerative Colitis: "With Imuran, I had no quality of life. Daily fatigue and nausea/vomitting. Things are better on Entyvio."

MrGomez · Taken for 10 years or more February 13, 2017

For Crohn's Disease: "This medicine kept my Crohn's Disease in remission for almost 15 years."

Dallas1 December 24, 2016

Imuran (azathioprine) for Crohn's Disease, Acute: "Works great for my Crohn's with few minor side effects. As of 2016 Cigna/Express scripts will NOT cover as a preventative med."

No mercy jones November 9, 2016

Imuran (azathioprine) for Ulcerative Colitis: "Have been on Imuran for 6 years and it has helped some off and on. In the beginning I went to the bathroom about 10 to 12 times in a day thus losing a lot weight which I didn't expect. Now I go about 3 to 4 times a day and I do have a flare up every now and then. Was finally weaned off of prednisone. Have gained some weight back. Overall the medication has helped though my immune system has been weakened."

BK · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 12, 2016

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I started taking this medicine to help with my breathing issues caused by RA. The first thing I notices was a mild headache, joint pain had increased and both hands and feet were swollen, but I was told to give it a couple of weeks to adjust to the medicine. During week 2/3 my breathing got worse and I had a hard time lying on my back without chest pain, I had a stronger headache than in the beginning and it got increasing worse over the weeks, and nausea and stomach craps. This medicine did nothing for me and made me feel worse, so I had to stop. good luck."

Anonymous October 3, 2016

Imuran (azathioprine) for Crohn's Disease, Maintenance: "I was only diagnosed in May and have been on Uceris and Imuran. Currently taken Imuran 50mg and now that I have been on it for a few month I have been getting nausea every time I take it. Zofran does not even help they are talking about doing the infusion now. Im just so tired of being sick. Did this happen to anyone else?"

DaveUK October 2, 2016

For Ulcerative Colitis: "I was given Azathioprine for about 3 weeks for my Ulcerative colitis. First two weeks were great, start of 3 week I had excruciating pains in my stomach that they initially thought could be Crohn's disease. Caused severe pancreatitis that I meant I was hospitalized for two weeks. Needless to say, never again."

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)