User Reviews for Azathioprine to treat Ulcerative Colitis

Also known as: Imuran, Azasan

Azathioprine has an average rating of 6.7 out of 10 from a total of 22 ratings for the treatment of Ulcerative Colitis. 55% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 23% reported a negative effect.

Azathioprine Rating Summary

6.7/10 average rating

Compare all 116 medications used in the treatment of Ulcerative Colitis.

Reviews for Azathioprine

Living in the Bathroom August 19, 2011

Imuran (azathioprine): “Have had ulcerative colitis for 26 years. Started Imuran after a flare up and within 1 week I thought it was a miracle and still am going to the bathroom 2 x a day and sleep all night. I worry about the side effects but I have a life again for now. Thanks to Imuran.”

Anonymous January 28, 2011

Imuran (azathioprine): “Have been using for over two years after several episodes of prednisone. Have been almost completely free of symptoms and have no obvious side effects. I only use the bathroom once a day and stools are generally well formed. No diarrhea at all. Can eat and drink normally (including roughage) but did have some pain after eating too much corn on the cob.”

Tttttttt 100 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 13, 2016

“I was extremely sick for over 2 years and refused to take this medication due to how scared I was of the side effects. I decided it was worth the risk and started taking it. I was tired a lot the first month but after one month I felt so good! I have been on it now for about 6 months and I am doing wonderful. I think we hear a lot of the bad things online because the people who these drugs work for are out enjoying life. I hope I give some of you peace of mind.”

fluffy · Taken for 10 years or more March 2, 2019

Imuran (azathioprine): “I have been on Imuran for over 10 years now. I am now going through my first flareup. I still take it along with a diarrhea med. The imuran has been a life saver for me. Fatigue is normal, have not had to stop any activity. We ride 4 wheelers, drag race, etc. I love the medicine.”

Southern Girl May 27, 2011

Imuran (azathioprine): “Wonderful medicine. I was extremely sick, went 20 times to the bathroom in 8 to 9 hours, was really sick, finally gave in to start this medicine with the rest I had been taking. Within 5 hours everything slowed down. I felt like a new person. But sad to say it was short lived. I started reacting 2 to three days in and the reactions got worse. Had to stop taking it.”

Braeden2748 December 24, 2015

Imuran (azathioprine): “It is a miracle drug! After about 2 months my stools were becoming well formed but not back to the usual stool! I only go once a day and it really is amazing! Although the risks seem huge I just look at it as though without imuran I could be a lot worse!”

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 2, 2013

Imuran (azathioprine): “Imuran seemed to help for a few months but after prolonged use it weakened my immune system too much. I started getting colds about every three weeks. Which made me feel run down and tired more so than just having colitis alone, but it did at least calm my symptoms for a while.”

Tomh219 · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 23, 2014

Imuran (azathioprine): “Azathioprine worked well to reduce my ulcerative colitis symptoms and had zero noticeable side effects. The required frequent blood tests were a hassle and it did lower my white count significantly. In the end, the medicine was not sufficient to manage my condition and we added an anti-TNF to it. Once that was ramped up I discontinued azathioprine since it added nothing to the anti-TNF.”

No mercy jones November 9, 2016

Imuran (azathioprine): “Have been on Imuran for 6 years and it has helped some off and on. In the beginning I went to the bathroom about 10 to 12 times in a day thus losing a lot weight which I didn't expect. Now I go about 3 to 4 times a day and I do have a flare up every now and then. Was finally weaned off of prednisone. Have gained some weight back. Overall the medication has helped though my immune system has been weakened.”

julie19720 January 24, 2016

“Been taking it for 7 months prior to this had really bad flares nothing worked. Steroids wouldn't control. Had UC for 19 years and had spread further up my colon. Was offered azathioprine. So thought why not. Best thing I have ever done, I have my life back. My regular bloods are all normal. Not taking anything else for UC. Toilet once a day. Have joint pain but that a small price to pay. Don't have to worry about being near a toilet.”

Anonymous · Taken for 10 years or more March 3, 2021

“I've had UC since 1999, and began taking AZA in 2004 after mediocre results from prednisone and aminosylicates. It has successfully kept me in remission going on 17 years, and I am very grateful. I've had no noticeable side effects, and am very active.”

Ed2015 December 20, 2015

“My colitis had been in remission for about 10 years without any drugs. 2 years ago it flared and we could not control it with Colazal as we had done last time. I was using prednisone with other meds that did not work. I was bleeding constantly and losing weight. Finally he prescribed azathioprine. It took several months to build up in my system but I am in full remission. I also take azacol HD with it. My daily pill intake is 9. All my blood tests have been normal and we are now slowly reducing usage. As far as side effects go its difficult to identify them vs aging (57). I do have strange joint pain at times but I had multiple sport injuries when I was younger. Cancer runs in my family so I want to get off this asap. I would use it again”

borderlineblue August 3, 2011

“This medicine seemed to work at first, the negatives ultimately were worse than the positives. It did put me down to about 4 bowel motions a day but it was at the cost of horrendous acne, terrible headaches, joint pain and fatigue. Doctor still has me on it for another autoimmune disease but keeps me at a minimum.”

B and Amy March 31, 2017

“Azathioprine was prescribed for my daughter as maintenance treatment for her UC. I can't tell anything about if it was working for her symptoms, because her flare symptoms were controlled by other temporary meds such as Ucerus, Cortifoam before she started taking it.. After 2 weeks she's started having hair loss, very rapid, developed pancytopenia, stopped taking it. This is the long story. I don't want to scare anyone, it's great that this drug helps some people.”

ColinAG54CSG · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 31, 2017

“Have had UC since 1991 and been on Prednisolone and Asacol which became ineffective. Severe attack October 2016 - spent 10 days in hospital. IV steroids and then sent home on reducing steroids - symptoms began to return. Azathioprine prescribed. Certainly helped reduce and eventually stop UC bleeding. Trips to the toilet reduced to around 3 or 4 occasions . Initially caused liver function problems which improved. However the drug has shattered my immune system - have taken any cold, cough or flu that crops up. Makes me fatigued after around 40 minutes exertion. Cannot now play golf, take hill walks or do heavy garden work etc. I guess it is good for some patients and not so good for others. Seeing consultant soon and will discuss options.”

DaveUK October 2, 2016

“I was given Azathioprine for about 3 weeks for my Ulcerative colitis. First two weeks were great, start of 3 week I had excruciating pains in my stomach that they initially thought could be Crohn's disease. Caused severe pancreatitis that I meant I was hospitalized for two weeks. Needless to say, never again.”

elpogo March 31, 2016

“Have been on Azathioprine for about 4 years after asacol quit working. Started with 4 pills per day for first month then cut back to 2 pills which have worked fine, but I now have been experiencing bruising on my hands mostly. Will cut back to 1 pill per day until my next blood-work.”

Bambooman July 6, 2010

Imuran (azathioprine): “I started Imuran after yet another dose of steroids and now I have got my confidence back I will only use the bathroom four times a day on a normal day but I am careful with my diet, no fiber.”

Nausea and Fatigue · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 26, 2017

Imuran (azathioprine): “With Imuran, I had no quality of life. Daily fatigue and nausea/vomitting. Things are better on Entyvio.”

John 75 June 16, 2016

Imuran (azathioprine): “As a UC sufferer Azathioprine caused Pancreatitis after three months - I had to stop using it immediately.”

kbs · Taken for less than 1 month July 26, 2019

“Tried azathioprine for Ulcerative Colitis (UC) on two separate occasions with same results, rash, vomiting, and general loss of energy”

Ti'lo · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 28, 2017

“I have been taking it for 5 months it seems to be working for u.c., just having joint pain which makes hard to workout some days. Would like to know what would help the joint pain.”

Learn more about Ulcerative Colitis