User Reviews for Azathioprine

Also known as: Azasan, Imuran

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Azathioprine.

Azathioprine Rating Summary

3.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 359 medications used in the treatment of Rheumatoid Arthritis.

Reviews for Azathioprine to treat Rheumatoid Arthritis

"I started taking this medicine to help with my breathing issues caused by RA. The first thing I notices was a mild headache, joint pain had increased and both hands and feet were swollen, but I was told to give it a couple of weeks to adjust to the medicine. During week 2/3 my breathing got worse and I had a hard time lying on my back without chest pain, I had a stronger headache than in the beginning and it got increasing worse over the weeks, and nausea and stomach craps. This medicine did nothing for me and made me feel worse, so I had to stop. good luck."

BK (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 12, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Imuran (azathioprine): "The first two-three weeks were fine. Then I started experiencing a bad headache, the next two days fever and chills. The next evening, severe chills, weakness, dizziness, raging fever (up to 104.3) and began throwing up. It was the worst I've ever felt in my life (and that includes a hospitalization in ICU when first diagnosed). I was on the verge of calling 911. However, it eventually passed (as the medicine worked its way out of my system) and the fever subsided. My Rheumatologist ran a complete series of blood work and she said that I had an allergic reaction. Prior to starting Imuran, I had been tested for liver compatibility and the results showed that I would have no issues so I proceeded. Proceed w/extreme caution."

MI mom February 18, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Imuran (azathioprine): "I was on a steroid previously however due to the fact that I was constantly getting bacterial & viral infections and putting on a lot of weight, the doctor took me off the steroid and prescribed Imuran. So far it is working out better than the steroid."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 7, 2012

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Doctor put me on azathioprine because I got sick from taking methotrexate for my rheumatoid arthritis. Good news is it didn't make me sick and I had no noticeable side effects / Bad news is it didn't make pain/stiffness any better than taking nothing at all. Now going to try injectable methotrexate to see if that will work without the nausea/stomach side effects?"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 19, 2012