User Reviews for Azathioprine to treat Rheumatoid Arthritis

Also known as: Imuran, Azasan

Azathioprine has an average rating of 3.2 out of 10 from a total of 8 ratings for the treatment of Rheumatoid Arthritis. 25% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 75% reported a negative effect.

Azathioprine Rating Summary

3.2/10 average rating

Compare all 304 medications used in the treatment of Rheumatoid Arthritis.

MI mom February 18, 2016

Imuran (azathioprine): “The first two-three weeks were fine. Then I started experiencing a bad headache, the next two days fever and chills. The next evening, severe chills, weakness, dizziness, raging fever (up to 104.3) and began throwing up. It was the worst I've ever felt in my life (and that includes a hospitalization in ICU when first diagnosed). I was on the verge of calling 911. However, it eventually passed (as the medicine worked its way out of my system) and the fever subsided. My Rheumatologist ran a complete series of blood work and she said that I had an allergic reaction. Prior to starting Imuran, I had been tested for liver compatibility and the results showed that I would have no issues so I proceeded. Proceed w/extreme caution.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 7, 2012

Imuran (azathioprine): “I was on a steroid previously however due to the fact that I was constantly getting bacterial & viral infections and putting on a lot of weight, the doctor took me off the steroid and prescribed Imuran. So far it is working out better than the steroid.”

Lucky · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 22, 2019

“Started on low dose of Imuran ... 50 mg. Was breathing much better after a 3 weeks of blood tests, Dr thought it was okay to increase dose. Went to 100 mg ... couple weeks later joint and muscle pain worsened, shortness of breath, just miserable. Dr said it would take time needed 6 - 8 weeks for medication to work. Increased dose to 150 mg a week ago. I feel horrible. I have described side effects to Dr. No luck ... what to do? I'm very tempted to just stop taking this medication. I feel horrible!”

Soho79 · Taken for less than 1 month May 24, 2018

Imuran (azathioprine): “I was put on Imuran for RA and RA-ILD ( Rheumatoid arthritis, Interstitial lung disease). As another mentioned, this drug is not widely used for RA nor is it widely accepted as a treatment for ILD caused by RA. My docs are hoping to cover both bases with one drug. So far the side effects are monstrous. Willing to go back on a 'regularly prescribed' RA med and hope for the best in the lung flare ups.”

Don L. February 25, 2021

“Took methotrexate for 7 weeks and had to stop because of extreme fatigue and stomach issues. Doctor started me on azathioprine and I took my first 50 mg. dose about an hour before I went to bed. I refused to take it again! My sinus passages started burning after about an hour of taking it and I developed a headache that last for about 18 hours. I was extremely nauseous when I woke up and felt real lightheaded. Then there were the brutal stomach issues. I'll spare you the details:) Never again!”

BK · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 12, 2016

“I started taking this medicine to help with my breathing issues caused by RA. The first thing I notices was a mild headache, joint pain had increased and both hands and feet were swollen, but I was told to give it a couple of weeks to adjust to the medicine. During week 2/3 my breathing got worse and I had a hard time lying on my back without chest pain, I had a stronger headache than in the beginning and it got increasing worse over the weeks, and nausea and stomach craps. This medicine did nothing for me and made me feel worse, so I had to stop. good luck.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 19, 2012

“Doctor put me on azathioprine because I got sick from taking methotrexate for my rheumatoid arthritis. Good news is it didn't make me sick and I had no noticeable side effects / Bad news is it didn't make pain/stiffness any better than taking nothing at all. Now going to try injectable methotrexate to see if that will work without the nausea/stomach side effects?”

TJ · Taken for 5 to 10 years August 16, 2018

“Imuran has very effectively controlled my RA for the past five years. It is great to find a med other than a biologic that keeps me in remission.”

Learn more about Rheumatoid Arthritis