User Reviews for Azathioprine to treat Crohn's Disease, Maintenance

Also known as: Imuran, Azasan

Azathioprine has an average rating of 6.1 out of 10 from a total of 16 ratings for the treatment of Crohn's Disease, Maintenance. 44% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 38% reported a negative effect.

Azathioprine Rating Summary

6.1/10 average rating

Compare all 33 medications used in the treatment of Crohn's Disease, Maintenance.

Reviews for Azathioprine

MySonhasCrohnsDisease · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 8, 2016

Imuran (azathioprine): “Our son was very sick for a year before being diagnosed with Crohns Disease, at his worst he was 62 lbs and 12 years old! The poor sweet thing was withering away to nothing! Every bone in his body stuck out It was a terrible time for the entire family to see such a sweet soul struggle so badly. Once we got the diagnosis of Crohns via biopsy and scope his Dr put him on Imuran. 7 months later he now weighs 78lbs and grew almost an inch! He is in remission!!!!!!!!!!!! We are so thankful for this prescription!”

RjS30 · Taken for 10 years or more September 27, 2017

Imuran (azathioprine): “I was diagnosed with Crohn's 28 years ago and have been on multiple medications over the years. I had a flare up in January of 2000 after being admitted to the hospital for a failing appendix. That is where I met my current Gastro Doctor. I was put on Imuran with a side of Asacol, but was taken off the Asacol around 7 years ago. I have been taking 100mg of Imuran for 16 years with virtually no side effects and haven't had one flare up to speak of since 2000. I know everyone is different, but Imuran has been super good to me!”

PENWESTERN April 25, 2009

Imuran (azathioprine): “I have been taking 50 mg daily and have been for six months. I had a serious flare six months ago and a small bowel resection two months later. I feel that Imuran and Remicade combination is keeping me well and feeling perfectly normal. No side effects so far. I am very glad to have tapered off Prednisone and am happy with Imuran and Remicade for Crohn's maintenance.”

G Eagle · Taken for 10 years or more December 2, 2015

Imuran (azathioprine): “I was taking Imuran back in 2012 for Crohn's Disease. I switched to Remicade and was doing well until the 6th infusion when I contracted Drug Induced Lupos. After a short time with Prednisone I went back on Imuran. After 3 years I seem to be doing well (no flare-ups), etc. I do have a lot of trouble with my skin. I don't know if the Imuran has anything to do with that or not.”

Anonymous October 3, 2016

Imuran (azathioprine): “I was only diagnosed in May and have been on Uceris and Imuran. Currently taken Imuran 50mg and now that I have been on it for a few month I have been getting nausea every time I take it. Zofran does not even help they are talking about doing the infusion now. Im just so tired of being sick. Did this happen to anyone else?”

Anonymous January 8, 2010

Imuran (azathioprine): “I was prescriped Imuran but had to come off it within 2 weeks due to acute depression and complete loss of appetite! But some medicines work better on other people, I think you have to find the right one for you!”

TP · Taken for 5 to 10 years August 2, 2019

“Have using AZA - (azathioprine) for almost 10 years. Going great. No flares, healed me up last 2 colonoscopies over 4 years results were if I wasn't diagnosed with Crohns years ago, they wouldn't believe it. At first was taking 200 mg once a day, (1 mg per lb) felt like rubbish, no energy,...weak. Doctor told be to stick with it, suggested splitting in half 100 mg in the morning, 100 mg in the evening. Worked great after about a month or so.”

sheila01 February 6, 2010

Imuran (azathioprine): “I have had Crohn's disease for 19 years and have been on many different medications. I have been hospitalized 6 times, where they shut down the colon to leave it to rest (no surgeries). I have taken Imuran for 7 years and until last month have only had 4 flareups to account for, my doctors put me on a steroid (not something that you want to take a lot of). For me this is usually about a 2-3 month process. Unfortunately, my thyroid has gone from hypo to hyper and my Crohn's disease and blood pressure is out of control. So my doctors have suggested I try Remicade...I have just had my second infusion, still taking Imuran, and 30mg of steroid, hoping to see some results soon.”

Anonymous November 23, 2009

Imuran (azathioprine): “My doctor has put me on Imuran for about three weeks now and I am starting to feel some side effects such as weakness, body aches and breakouts all over my body. So far not so good with the treatment. I will be calling my doctor for sure.”

WheresTheBathroom May 31, 2018

“I've had Crohn's Disease for 43 years and have been on everything. Each new GI doc I get seems to love Azathioprine. It has never, ever, ever done anything for me. On the plus side, it hasn't given me any side effects either. Note: historically, they have prescribed a low dose, 50mg I believe. Then I finally got a doc who knew that the dose needs to be a "therapeutic" dose which is higher (in my case 3.5 times higher) - they'll know the correct dosage by bloodwork.”

Rax · Taken for 5 to 10 years November 27, 2020

“Hello everyone I’ve been on azathioprine for about 8 years (21 years old btw), and I wouldn’t say it’s amazing but really it helps a lot, especially with the humira, I stopped taking my azathioprine due to covid 19 and actually got numerous abscess and a fistula, which left me in hospital for a week and it was the worst feeling, don’t read the side effects as a con, I’ve been on it 8 years and hair loss has not been an issue neither pancreatitis, only issue I got was from not taking it, so guys look after yourself take azathioprine, and beat crohns”

Leviathin · Taken for 5 to 10 years October 31, 2014

“Have been on azathioprine for 7 years for Crohn's maintenance and have not had a single relapse in this time. Had previously had allergic reaction but for some reason I now seem to be able to take it. Currently suffering from dizziness but doubt this is to do with the azathioprine as I have had it so long. Found that it works very quickly for me when I start taking it and is a lot better than being on steroids.”

Jade · Taken for less than 1 month October 7, 2020

“This medicine azathioprine made me have terrible migraines from just one dose. Took 5 pills for 250mgs and had a migraine for 3 days straight. I wanted to cry. I really wanted this medication to work along with my humira since the doctor said they go together. I wanted it to work so much that I tried it again...this time 4 pills and had the same reaction. I will never try this medicine again. They put this medicine as an allergy on my chart. It's sad because my Crohn's isn't under control and I wished my body would tolerate this machine but for some reason it can't.”

Anonymous May 21, 2008

Imuran (azathioprine): “the imuran sometimes upsets my stomach but the doctors say it is doing the job.”

Anonymous October 23, 2008

Imuran (azathioprine): “It is the best.”

maialz · Taken for less than 1 month March 17, 2019

“Hi guys I just started taking 50mg of azathioprine and am also on prednisolone. I have heard that the azathioprine can thin your skin and make you burn easily in the sun. Any truth in this?”

steve · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 15, 2020

“azathioprine is no good for me, it caused side effects of muscle and joint pains, and infections.”

Cash ap · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 29, 2020

“Not happy . this made me feel high all the time”

Learn more about Crohn's Disease, Maintenance