User Reviews for Imuran

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Imuran.

Renal Transplant

4.5

Rheumatoid Arthritis

Summary of Imuran reviews 6.5 46 reviews

Reviews for Imuran

For Crohn's Disease, Maintenance "I was diagnosed with Crohn's 28 years ago and have been on multiple medications over the years. I had a flare up in January of 2000 after being admitted to the hospital for a failing appendix. That is where I met my current Gastro Doctor. I was put on Imuran with a side of Asacol, but was taken off the Asacol around 7 years ago. I have been taking 100mg of Imuran for 16 years with virtually no side effects and haven't had one flare up to speak of since 2000. I know everyone is different, but Imuran has been super good to me!"

RjS30 (taken for 10 years or more) September 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Systemic Lupus Erythematosus "At the 2 week mark on imuran 50 mg tid, I developed a high temp, severe muscle aches, chilling & started coughing up green mucous, I also had severe weakness. Went to md & put on antibiotics. Called rheumy & I was taken off med. Cbc & cmp lab was normal."

Buterfly (taken for less than 1 month) April 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Ulcerative Colitis "With Imuran, I had no quality of life. Daily fatigue and nausea/vomitting. Things are better on Entyvio."

Nausea and Fatigue (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Crohn's Disease, Acute "Works great for my Crohn's with few minor side effects. As of 2016 Cigna/Express scripts will NOT cover as a preventative med."

Dallas1 December 24, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Ulcerative Colitis "Have been on Imuran for 6 years and it has helped some off and on. In the beginning I went to the bathroom about 10 to 12 times in a day thus losing a lot weight which I didn't expect. Now I go about 3 to 4 times a day and I do have a flare up every now and then. Was finally weaned off of prednisone. Have gained some weight back. Overall the medication has helped though my immune system has been weakened."

No mercy jones November 9, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Crohn's Disease, Maintenance "I was only diagnosed in May and have been on Uceris and Imuran. Currently taken Imuran 50mg and now that I have been on it for a few month I have been getting nausea every time I take it. Zofran does not even help they are talking about doing the infusion now. Im just so tired of being sick. Did this happen to anyone else?"

Anonymous October 3, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Ulcerative Colitis "As a UC sufferer Azathioprine caused Pancreatitis after three months - I had to stop using it immediately."

John 75 June 16, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Autoimmune Hepatitis "I've been taking imuran for 18 years also prednisone Stopped prednisone 3 years ago. And started on alluropinal with Imuran For last 3 years. Have now stopped alluropinal because I've got urticaria they think it's alluropinal . This has been for 6 weeks just started it again 2 days ago and rash back very painful. Not sure what I will take with imuran now if anything. Don't understand. Also take Lipitor Zoloft I'm a diabetic also and take metforam and insulin nova rapid and lantus. Also aspirin. I'm 50 this year and it's worrying"

Ebbi (taken for 10 years or more) March 14, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Rheumatoid Arthritis "The first two-three weeks were fine. Then I started experiencing a bad headache, the next two days fever and chills. The next evening, severe chills, weakness, dizziness, raging fever (up to 104.3) and began throwing up. It was the worst I've ever felt in my life (and that includes a hospitalization in ICU when first diagnosed). I was on the verge of calling 911. However, it eventually passed (as the medicine worked its way out of my system) and the fever subsided. My Rheumatologist ran a complete series of blood work and she said that I had an allergic reaction. Prior to starting Imuran, I had been tested for liver compatibility and the results showed that I would have no issues so I proceeded. Proceed w/extreme caution."

MI mom February 18, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Crohn's Disease "Took imuran for several months. Not only did it NOT help my Crohn's disease, I developed pancreatitis and was hospitalized for three days."

ambur83098 January 29, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Crohn's Disease "Imuran seemed fine for the first couple weeks, until I got a fever of 103 degrees. My doctor instructed me to stop taking the Imuran if my temperature reached 103 degrees, so I stopped for a week or so. My temperature returned to normal, so my doctor instructed me to start Imuran again. After one day's dosage I experienced the worst imaginable pain in my whole torso. It turns out the Imuran gave me Pancriatitis. I had to spend 3 days on an IV drip in the hospital and an all liquid diet for a week after."

Imuran gave me Pancriatitis :( (taken for less than 1 month) January 24, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Crohn's Disease, Maintenance "Our son was very sick for a year before being diagnosed with Crohns Disease, at his worst he was 62 lbs and 12 years old! The poor sweet thing was withering away to nothing! Every bone in his body stuck out It was a terrible time for the entire family to see such a sweet soul struggle so badly. Once we got the diagnosis of Crohns via biopsy and scope his Dr put him on Imuran. 7 months later he now weighs 78lbs and grew almost an inch! He is in remission!!!!!!!!!!!! We are so thankful for this prescription!"

MySonhasCrohnsDisease (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 8, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Ulcerative Colitis "It is a miracle drug! After about 2 months my stools were becoming well formed but not back to the usual stool! I only go once a day and it really is amazing! Although the risks seem huge I just look at it as though without imuran I could be a lot worse!"

Braeden2748 December 24, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Systemic Lupus Erythematosus "Have been on it for over a year, works ok at this point, still having some fatigue and still have pain and swelling in feet and hands. Also take plaquinil so this maybe helping also. Would love to feel as good as the people on benlysta :)"

Systemic Lupus Erythema 1970 December 8, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Crohn's Disease, Maintenance "I was taking Imuran back in 2012 for Crohn's Disease. I switched to Remicade and was doing well until the 6th infusion when I contracted Drug Induced Lupos. After a short time with Prednisone I went back on Imuran. After 3 years I seem to be doing well (no flare-ups), etc. I do have a lot of trouble with my skin. I don't know if the Imuran has anything to do with that or not."

G Eagle (taken for 10 years or more) December 2, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Systemic Lupus Erythematosus "After a week I started vomiting. My mother also told me I called her in the middle of the night and was confused. I had no idea I even called."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 30, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Systemic Lupus Erythematosus "At the 2 wk mark of taking imuran, I started having a terrible headache. My body started to ache. I couldn't get comfortable not matter what I did and I had trouble sleeping. I had a fever, I had chills and I sweated worse than being at the gym. My urine was golden dark yellow and my skin was pale. I was tested for the flu which was negative and my blood test results were normal (as normal as can b for a lupus patient). My dr thought I had a virus but told me to stop taking the imuran. Within a little over 24 hours, the headache started going away, the urine went back to normal color and my body was feeling better."

Mommylovescj August 15, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Crohn's Disease "I have been on this medicine for over a year and it worked really well at first now my hair is thinning and I'm having joint pain."

Mrs. Dee June 8, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Crohn's Disease "I've been on Imuran for about 9 years now. After trying the medicine Pentasa where I was taking 4000mg day and it still didn't control my flare ups. This medicine has it side effects too but I haven't experienced many other than pain in my joints recently, which is good since I've been taking Imuran for 9 years!"

scotto01 (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 28, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Systemic Lupus Erythematosus "After about 2 weeks into the medicine, I started vomiting severely whenever I took this medication. Ended up in the hospital. I tried this medication again several years later and immediately started vomiting severely. I had to go by ambulance to the emergency room because I could not go by car. I would use extreme caution when first starting this medication because apparently it can cause severe side effects."

small town mom (taken for less than 1 month) May 28, 2014

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Systemic Lupus Erythematosus "I'm a women age 39. I've been on Imuran for over 4 yrs. Before taking Imuran I was on methotrexate and Lyrica which I had EVERY SIDE EFFECT to. But when I switched medicines and began the Imuran it was very helpful! I could tell a big difference in how I felt. I also have fibromyalgia and rheumatoid arthritis as well. Over time and up to this point I'm feeling I need something stronger or even different. I can't tell that I have any known side effects from Imuran. Doctor suggested I try Benlysta. I'm scheduled to start that in two weeks! I'm very nervous because of some of the side effects but you never know until you try! Hope this was helpful! Best of luck!"

BB1217 March 27, 2014

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Systemic Lupus Erythematosus "I have been on imuran for at least 25 years. Have had few if any side effects. My lupus is basically in remission most of the time. I also take predisone."

barb_1939 (taken for 10 years or more) March 17, 2014

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Ulcerative Colitis "Azathioprine worked well to reduce my ulcerative colitis symptoms and had zero noticeable side effects. The required frequent blood tests were a hassle and it did lower my white count significantly. In the end, the medicine was not sufficient to manage my condition and we added an anti-TNF to it. Once that was ramped up I discontinued azathioprine since it added nothing to the anti-TNF."

Tomh219 (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 23, 2014

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Ulcerative Colitis "Imuran seemed to help for a few months but after prolonged use it weakened my immune system too much. I started getting colds about every three weeks. Which made me feel run down and tired more so than just having colitis alone, but it did at least calm my symptoms for a while."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 2, 2013

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Rheumatoid Arthritis "I was on a steroid previously however due to the fact that I was constantly getting bacterial & viral infections and putting on a lot of weight, the doctor took me off the steroid and prescribed Imuran. So far it is working out better than the steroid."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 7, 2012