User Reviews for Imuran to treat Ulcerative Colitis

Imuran has an average rating of 6.9 out of 10 from a total of 11 ratings for the treatment of Ulcerative Colitis. 64% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 18% reported a negative effect.

Imuran Rating Summary

6.9/10 average rating

Compare all 116 medications used in the treatment of Ulcerative Colitis.

fluffy · Taken for 10 years or more March 2, 2019

“I have been on Imuran for over 10 years now. I am now going through my first flareup. I still take it along with a diarrhea med. The imuran has been a life saver for me. Fatigue is normal, have not had to stop any activity. We ride 4 wheelers, drag race, etc. I love the medicine.”

Nausea and Fatigue · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 26, 2017

“With Imuran, I had no quality of life. Daily fatigue and nausea/vomitting. Things are better on Entyvio.”

No mercy jones November 9, 2016

“Have been on Imuran for 6 years and it has helped some off and on. In the beginning I went to the bathroom about 10 to 12 times in a day thus losing a lot weight which I didn't expect. Now I go about 3 to 4 times a day and I do have a flare up every now and then. Was finally weaned off of prednisone. Have gained some weight back. Overall the medication has helped though my immune system has been weakened.”

Living in the Bathroom August 19, 2011

“Have had ulcerative colitis for 26 years. Started Imuran after a flare up and within 1 week I thought it was a miracle and still am going to the bathroom 2 x a day and sleep all night. I worry about the side effects but I have a life again for now. Thanks to Imuran.”

Anonymous January 28, 2011

“Have been using for over two years after several episodes of prednisone. Have been almost completely free of symptoms and have no obvious side effects. I only use the bathroom once a day and stools are generally well formed. No diarrhea at all. Can eat and drink normally (including roughage) but did have some pain after eating too much corn on the cob.”

Southern Girl May 27, 2011

“Wonderful medicine. I was extremely sick, went 20 times to the bathroom in 8 to 9 hours, was really sick, finally gave in to start this medicine with the rest I had been taking. Within 5 hours everything slowed down. I felt like a new person. But sad to say it was short lived. I started reacting 2 to three days in and the reactions got worse. Had to stop taking it.”

Braeden2748 December 24, 2015

“It is a miracle drug! After about 2 months my stools were becoming well formed but not back to the usual stool! I only go once a day and it really is amazing! Although the risks seem huge I just look at it as though without imuran I could be a lot worse!”

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 2, 2013

“Imuran seemed to help for a few months but after prolonged use it weakened my immune system too much. I started getting colds about every three weeks. Which made me feel run down and tired more so than just having colitis alone, but it did at least calm my symptoms for a while.”

Tomh219 · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 23, 2014

“Azathioprine worked well to reduce my ulcerative colitis symptoms and had zero noticeable side effects. The required frequent blood tests were a hassle and it did lower my white count significantly. In the end, the medicine was not sufficient to manage my condition and we added an anti-TNF to it. Once that was ramped up I discontinued azathioprine since it added nothing to the anti-TNF.”

Bambooman July 6, 2010

“I started Imuran after yet another dose of steroids and now I have got my confidence back I will only use the bathroom four times a day on a normal day but I am careful with my diet, no fiber.”

John 75 June 16, 2016

“As a UC sufferer Azathioprine caused Pancreatitis after three months - I had to stop using it immediately.”

Learn more about Ulcerative Colitis