User Reviews for Hydroxychloroquine

Also known as: Plaquenil, Quineprox

Learn more about Hydroxychloroquine.

Lyme Disease, Arthritis 4 reviews 35 medications

Undifferentiated Con...e Tissue Disease 12 reviews 2 medications

6.7
Summary of Hydroxychloroquine reviews 141 reviews 8.0

Reviews for Hydroxychloroquine

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Better than the biologics or methotrexate that caused my lungs to burn up. However, after 7 years of 200 mg b.i.d. I think the time has come to quit this too, I have been experiencing nausea and liver pain for the last few weeks and just recently vomiting and hives followed by four hours of dry heaves. My liver (under and just beneath my right rib cage feels painful and swollen). The biologics are nasty too and my internist said 10 years is max on them as they are know to cause kidney/liver failure in his experience (42 years as an internist). I am not sure where to go from here. This is an awful disease. Diagnosed at 48. Only thing I know to keep the pain at bay is get up and move and don't stop until it's time for bed."

LisaStuDais September 19, 2016

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I was diagnosed with JRA at the age of 2, lead a completely normal life until about 2+ years ago, went to see an RA doctor and she put me on plaquenil about 18 months ago. At first it was a amazing, zero side effects and everything was great. For the past 3 months my symptoms have gone worse. In fact I am having pain that I have never had before including joint popping and feeling as though my hip is going to give out sometimes when I walk. I see my doctor next week so hoping for something new. I have never taken any RA meds at all until now and now I feel like I am 90 years old and I am old 48. Exhausted and tired of being in pain."

LaraP September 15, 2016

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Sjogren's Syndrome: "I have been on Plaquenil for several years , first the generic Plaqenil has no coating to protect your stomach lining. If you have side affects first try brand . I know Dr. s Say there is no difference ."But" composition of the drug may not affect the effectiveness of drug but it will affect the way it is absorbed in your system. Which will affect your side affects."

Babycakes1949 (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 9, 2016

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I've been on this drug since 2003. Before meds, I was so sick with RA symptoms. Spent 19 hours a day in bed, couldn't dress or bath myself. Seldom ate. Doctor put me on 200 mg. plaquenil twice daily and 10 mg. prednisone and I got my life back. I've since drop prednisone and am down to 200 mg. once daily plaquenil. About to go on the generic form of plaquenil. A little concerned. Is the quality the same? My specialist said no. RA drugs are so scary. I've had friends die on biologics--and some go blind. My advice as geezergirl. When you find out what works for you, hold on tight to it."

geezergirl September 5, 2016

For Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: "I had been on Plaquenil for nearly 30 years for lupus. So long that I didn't remember any side effects. I saw my rheumatologist recently and he said that he felt that I was in remission so I decided to come off of it for awhile. Within a week or so I noticed that I had a new dimple in my cheek, then within the next week the shape of my face changed and the "apple" cheeks that I had assumed for all these years was from lupus, disappeared. I have lost about 10 lbs since I went off a month ago and no longer have ringing in my ears or crippling vertigo. I do have a lot more pain and swelling but I will never go back on this drug. I am so thankful that I chose to try to go without it."

Beeline (taken for 10 years or more) August 27, 2016

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Plaquenil was the first RA medication I was put on. It did not go well. I was on it for a total of 3.5 weeks, and during that time I have never been so sick in my life. The nausea got worse the longer I was on it. I developed severe vomiting at about two weeks on it. I was debilitatingly exhausted all the time. I lost over 10 pounds in the this short time because I couldn't eat and was getting so violently ill. It also gave me a horrible headache that lasted from day 1 until my rheumatologist discontinued it. After I stopped taking it, the side effects cleared up in about a week. Now that I am off it, I CAN tell it was helping the RA pain and swelling however the side effects were just too much for me."

GCav (taken for less than 1 month) August 23, 2016

For Undifferentiated Connective Tissue Disease: "Not sure what I have. High Anti-ccps. Started with left hand finger & joint swelling that did not go away with some joint knuckle pain. Then having some knee and ankle joint pain in mornings that would go away by afternoon. Stiff neck below the skull area to neck spinal area.I would get occasional calf and foot spasms. Muscle weakness and strength gone. Once I started the durg I felt like drug was doing nothing but giving me undesirable side effects. The nausea lessened with time along with the feeling of loss of balance. I felt like my brain was in a fog for quite a while & my energy level is lower with some fatigue about 1/2 hour after taking drug and always with food. These side affects became more tolerable. 17 weeks before improvements"

Kiki100 August 16, 2016

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I was diagnosed with RA when I was 30 years old. I'm 37 now. My rheumatologist started me out on Methotrexate which put me in the hospital for sever flu like symptoms for an extended period of time. I have just started Hydroxychloroquine, I am on 200mg once a day and have noticed it leaves me feeling out of sorts, and I often have headaches along with nausea despite taking it with meals. It has caused me to miss work on several occasions. I'm hoping that with time some of the side effects will subside and I'll be able to enjoy a better quality of life."

Chorty79 August 5, 2016

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I started on Plaquenil for RA about two months ago so my experiences are fresh. I'm a large male at 6'2 250 pnd 30 years old. When I was diagnosed with RA I didn't know what to expect. I was quickly referred to a Rheumatologist who recommended this drug. The first three weeks I was having some side effects. Nose bleeds, ringing in my ears. But after the fourth week they just disappeared. As well as the excruciating pain in my feet, knee's and hands. It just poof like it never happened. I'm optimistic about now my third month as it has now been three months since my last flare up. It was too late for my feet, which now have permanent damage, but I can now walk and wear shoes almost perfectly normally."

Enz (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 25, 2016

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Undifferentiated Connective Tissue Disease: "I did not have any adverse effects as such on starting this medication except mild skin rash, have been on it for about 4 years. Have been relatively okay but what produced a dramatic improvement was an antiinflammatory , antitoxic diet with no artificial,packaged or canned foods, no sodas etc. accompanied by yoga and especially breathing exercises pranayama dIly 30-45 minutes which produce miraculous results over time."

CharlotteA1979 (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 20, 2016

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I have been taking plaquenil for about 4 years 200 mg twice a day . I have been having severe stomach cramps and nausea and vomiting just now realized it's the plaquenil. Because I didn't take it for 3 days because of the n/v just took it again today and got so sick had to throw up. Now realized it's the plaquenil have been to gastro dr and have done all kind of test .will not be taking this med again my Ra is nothing as bad as n/v maybe this will help some one . Don't no what I will take for this Ra pain I feel so sorry for anyone who has this Ra was not diagnosed with this untill I was 65 years old."

Anonymous June 25, 2016

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Tried Methotrexate twice and both times it caused Chronic Ulcerative Colitis so my consultant put me on Hydoxychloroquine. Started on 2 tablets a day but after 3 weeks I cut it down to 1 as it was upsetting my stomach. It halved my inflamation in about 5 weeks! BUT! After taking it for 3 months I began to get very constipated and after 4 months I had blood when I passed a stool so I stopped taking it, as I thought my UC was coming back. Now 6 weeks later I am suffering with chronic indigestion and have to drink several sachets of Macrogol per day to be able to go to the toilet. My doctor's not given me any indication as to how long this will last or if my stomach's been permanently damaged so I am going to make an appointment to find out!"

Nannysoo (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 25, 2016

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I have been taking 200 mg of Plaquenil 2x/day for about 8 weeks. I notice stomach discomfort even though I take it with a meal. The one side effect I don't see mentioned anywhere is that it lowers my iNR and I've had to increase my warfarin dosage. I do see a great change in the amount of pain in my joints!! I actually have days that I feel good again!! Praise God!"

LindD June 22, 2016

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "My RA Dr. Prescribed 200mg 2X P/Day - Approximately 1 month ago. I feel a great difference on improvement of pain relief! But, I do have to eat prior to taking or I get nauseous. Also, I get very sweaty - dripping sweaty, It's terrible! But the RA Pain is So Much Worse than being sweaty & nauseous, so I will continue to take this medicine! Aside from the 2 side effects I mentioned Plaqunil has relieved my pain substantially!"

Bans May 14, 2016

For Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: "I was diagnosed with Sjogrens and systemic lupus some 5 years ago after 3 years of tests etc. Initially was on 40mg plaquenil and 30 mg predisinole(steroids). After 2 year was weaned of the steroids, I gained so much weight and the moon face was terrible. Have had several flare ups when I take 10-15mg steroids for a couple of days. Plaquenil has helped me a lot, initially I had a job to get out of bed, so tired, every joint and muscle ached and hurt, but this has reduced over time, I still get terrible pains in my joints, suffer severe reaction if i don't use 50 sunscreeen all the time, but my quality of life has increased 65%, I am now on reduced plaquenil of 200mg per day, steroids as and when I get a flare up."

jude the prude April 25, 2016

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Undifferentiated Connective Tissue Disease: "I was on this medication for one day when I began to gave sereve vomiting 30 minutes after taking it and stomach bloating and uncontrollable gas. By day six I called my doctor to tell him I had bilateral muscle weakness in my legs and could hardly walk a straight line without feeling like I was going to fall down. My doctor stopped the medication after six days after I began to take it when I presented with a known severe adverse side effect of this medication " muscle weakness and loss of coordination""

Anonymous March 15, 2016

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Helped with RA It has affected my vision immensely. So much, that I stopped taking it."

pattyannhorse March 2, 2016

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I'm a 57 year old female that has just been diagnosed with RA about 6 weeks ago. My GP gave me Arthrotech to get me through until I could see the rheumatologist The Arthrotech made me sick, for every 4 pills I took, I threw one up. Went to specialist yesterday and he gave me Plaquenil - I've only taken it for 2 days so far (400 mg) daily but I'm feeling worse ( although the weather has changed - snow storm) I can't believe how painful this disease is. Does it get any better? Will I have a pain free normal life one day soon? I don't go back to the specialist until May but I can't imagine being in this much pain until at least May. I'm feeling so sorry for myself and cry because I'm tired cry because I'm sore. When will it start working?"

Sadiemybeagle March 2, 2016

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I'm 18 and was told I have arthritis about 10 months ago Plaquenil worked after the first couple of weeks but one major side effect is Mouth Ulcers and at times I've been in so much pain with them I couldn't eat. But then the alternative one said it could make my hair fall out (and that is not an option at my age)"

Miss Johnston (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 1, 2016

For Undifferentiated Connective Tissue Disease: "I had my doubts, but after 3 months I found myself getting up and moving around. Within the year, I was off the couch. Prior to starting this medication. My days were difficult. I was constantly fatiqued. Going to work was So difficult, so I worked 12 hour shifts on the weekend( I'm a nurse) I would rest all day Friday to prepare myself and all day Monday to recover. I lived this way more than 10 years till diagnosed with UCTD. Now I've ben on Plaquenil for 6 years and I feel like I have a life again. I worked full time for the past 5 years"

lzz February 28, 2016

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I have been started on plaquenil for a virus I contracted in Haiti after I worked 2 weeks after the devastating earthquake. I had 3 viruses that infectious disease found. The culprit was human Parvovirus B 19. This can cause joint pain in the small joints, especially in adult women. My joint pain would flare up for a couple weeks at a time, then subside. Since August I have had unrelenting pain in my hands, wrists, elbows, forefeet , ankles and knees. Because this is uncommon my medical providers have been unsure of a treatment . I finally saw a rheumatologist who wanted me to try Plaquenil. He said he's doesn't know if it will help but I am giving it a try! I have just started the treatment and I feel very out of sorts!"

Carleysue (taken for less than 1 month) February 27, 2016

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I'm a 30 year old mother of 2. I have been taking plaquenil for about 2 years now. Initially it helped a great deal. I'm noticing my pain levels rising and now I've developed tinnitus. I'm told that plaquenil can cause permanent deafness. So I'm going to have to seek other options. Methotrexate is not an option due to the damage to my lungs pre diagnosis. I'm honestly scared about the cancer risks of other medications but now I don't have a choice."

Sewbizmom (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 22, 2016

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: "I had only had a mild SLE flare about 30 years ago. I had plenty of the discoid lupus symptoms, but they were easily controlled with avoiding the sun and using sunscreens,especially in the last 20 years. I developed another auto-immune problem about 15 years ago.(gluten intolerance or or possible CD.) I ate the "gluten-free" Cheerios when they hit the shelves about 6 months ago, and almost killed myself, as they were not gluten free. This touched off a SLE flare of unbelievable proportions! Practically every joint in my body was hurting SO badly,and I had fever and fatigue and did not respond to NSAIDs. Placquenil has been my lifesaver! Adhering to an anti-inflammatory diet for a month helped, also. The price-worth it."

Barb-Also (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 23, 2016

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Took this for my ankylosing spondylitis. By week two ankle, toe and hand pain lessened. The 5 knives I felt stabbing and twisting along my spine from neck to sacrum were gone by week three. The inflammation, aching and stiffness is still a problem at this point. I didn't think this medication would work this quickly and I'm hoping it continues to relieve even more pain. If so I will give it a ten!"

Started with neck pain (taken for less than 1 month) January 23, 2016

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I have been on Plaquenil since 1996 when I was diagnosed with RA. When I was diagnosed I was in severe pain, unable to hold my infant child or drive. My rheumatologist injected me with steroids to get me immediate relief and started me on Plaquenil. I don't remember my initial dosage but I take 200mg once per day and have been in remission since 1996 and I have had no side effects that I am aware of. I have regular eye exams and periodic screenings by a retinologist and my eyes have had no issues at all."

TJT1 January 22, 2016

105 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next