User Reviews for Hydroxychloroquine

Also known as: Plaquenil, Quineprox

Learn more about Hydroxychloroquine.

Lyme Disease, Arthritis 4 reviews 34 medications

Rheumatoid Arthritis 58 reviews 340 medications

6.7
Summary of Hydroxychloroquine reviews 136 reviews 8.0

Reviews for Hydroxychloroquine

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Plaquenil was the first RA medication I was put on. It did not go well. I was on it for a total of 3.5 weeks, and during that time I have never been so sick in my life. The nausea got worse the longer I was on it. I developed severe vomiting at about two weeks on it. I was debilitatingly exhausted all the time. I lost over 10 pounds in the this short time because I couldn't eat and was getting so violently ill. It also gave me a horrible headache that lasted from day 1 until my rheumatologist discontinued it. After I stopped taking it, the side effects cleared up in about a week. Now that I am off it, I CAN tell it was helping the RA pain and swelling however the side effects were just too much for me."

GCav (taken for less than 1 month) August 23, 2016

For Undifferentiated Connective Tissue Disease: "Not sure what I have. High Anti-ccps. Started with left hand finger & joint swelling that did not go away with some joint knuckle pain. Then having some knee and ankle joint pain in mornings that would go away by afternoon. Stiff neck below the skull area to neck spinal area.I would get occasional calf and foot spasms. Muscle weakness and strength gone. Once I started the durg I felt like drug was doing nothing but giving me undesirable side effects. The nausea lessened with time along with the feeling of loss of balance. I felt like my brain was in a fog for quite a while & my energy level is lower with some fatigue about 1/2 hour after taking drug and always with food. These side affects became more tolerable. 17 weeks before improvements"

Kiki100 August 16, 2016

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I was diagnosed with RA when I was 30 years old. I'm 37 now. My rheumatologist started me out on Methotrexate which put me in the hospital for sever flu like symptoms for an extended period of time. I have just started Hydroxychloroquine, I am on 200mg once a day and have noticed it leaves me feeling out of sorts, and I often have headaches along with nausea despite taking it with meals. It has caused me to miss work on several occasions. I'm hoping that with time some of the side effects will subside and I'll be able to enjoy a better quality of life."

Chorty79 August 5, 2016

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I started on Plaquenil for RA about two months ago so my experiences are fresh. I'm a large male at 6'2 250 pnd 30 years old. When I was diagnosed with RA I didn't know what to expect. I was quickly referred to a Rheumatologist who recommended this drug. The first three weeks I was having some side effects. Nose bleeds, ringing in my ears. But after the fourth week they just disappeared. As well as the excruciating pain in my feet, knee's and hands. It just poof like it never happened. I'm optimistic about now my third month as it has now been three months since my last flare up. It was too late for my feet, which now have permanent damage, but I can now walk and wear shoes almost perfectly normally."

Enz (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 25, 2016

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Undifferentiated Connective Tissue Disease: "I did not have any adverse effects as such on starting this medication except mild skin rash, have been on it for about 4 years. Have been relatively okay but what produced a dramatic improvement was an antiinflammatory , antitoxic diet with no artificial,packaged or canned foods, no sodas etc. accompanied by yoga and especially breathing exercises pranayama dIly 30-45 minutes which produce miraculous results over time."

CharlotteA1979 (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 20, 2016

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I have been taking plaquenil for about 4 years 200 mg twice a day . I have been having severe stomach cramps and nausea and vomiting just now realized it's the plaquenil. Because I didn't take it for 3 days because of the n/v just took it again today and got so sick had to throw up. Now realized it's the plaquenil have been to gastro dr and have done all kind of test .will not be taking this med again my Ra is nothing as bad as n/v maybe this will help some one . Don't no what I will take for this Ra pain I feel so sorry for anyone who has this Ra was not diagnosed with this untill I was 65 years old."

Anonymous June 25, 2016

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Tried Methotrexate twice and both times it caused Chronic Ulcerative Colitis so my consultant put me on Hydoxychloroquine. Started on 2 tablets a day but after 3 weeks I cut it down to 1 as it was upsetting my stomach. It halved my inflamation in about 5 weeks! BUT! After taking it for 3 months I began to get very constipated and after 4 months I had blood when I passed a stool so I stopped taking it, as I thought my UC was coming back. Now 6 weeks later I am suffering with chronic indigestion and have to drink several sachets of Macrogol per day to be able to go to the toilet. My doctor's not given me any indication as to how long this will last or if my stomach's been permanently damaged so I am going to make an appointment to find out!"

Nannysoo (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 25, 2016

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I have been taking 200 mg of Plaquenil 2x/day for about 8 weeks. I notice stomach discomfort even though I take it with a meal. The one side effect I don't see mentioned anywhere is that it lowers my iNR and I've had to increase my warfarin dosage. I do see a great change in the amount of pain in my joints!! I actually have days that I feel good again!! Praise God!"

LindD June 22, 2016

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "My RA Dr. Prescribed 200mg 2X P/Day - Approximately 1 month ago. I feel a great difference on improvement of pain relief! But, I do have to eat prior to taking or I get nauseous. Also, I get very sweaty - dripping sweaty, It's terrible! But the RA Pain is So Much Worse than being sweaty & nauseous, so I will continue to take this medicine! Aside from the 2 side effects I mentioned Plaqunil has relieved my pain substantially!"

Bans May 14, 2016

For Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: "I was diagnosed with Sjogrens and systemic lupus some 5 years ago after 3 years of tests etc. Initially was on 40mg plaquenil and 30 mg predisinole(steroids). After 2 year was weaned of the steroids, I gained so much weight and the moon face was terrible. Have had several flare ups when I take 10-15mg steroids for a couple of days. Plaquenil has helped me a lot, initially I had a job to get out of bed, so tired, every joint and muscle ached and hurt, but this has reduced over time, I still get terrible pains in my joints, suffer severe reaction if i don't use 50 sunscreeen all the time, but my quality of life has increased 65%, I am now on reduced plaquenil of 200mg per day, steroids as and when I get a flare up."

jude the prude April 25, 2016

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Undifferentiated Connective Tissue Disease: "I was on this medication for one day when I began to gave sereve vomiting 30 minutes after taking it and stomach bloating and uncontrollable gas. By day six I called my doctor to tell him I had bilateral muscle weakness in my legs and could hardly walk a straight line without feeling like I was going to fall down. My doctor stopped the medication after six days after I began to take it when I presented with a known severe adverse side effect of this medication " muscle weakness and loss of coordination""

Anonymous March 15, 2016

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Helped with RA It has affected my vision immensely. So much, that I stopped taking it."

pattyannhorse March 2, 2016

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I'm a 57 year old female that has just been diagnosed with RA about 6 weeks ago. My GP gave me Arthrotech to get me through until I could see the rheumatologist The Arthrotech made me sick, for every 4 pills I took, I threw one up. Went to specialist yesterday and he gave me Plaquenil - I've only taken it for 2 days so far (400 mg) daily but I'm feeling worse ( although the weather has changed - snow storm) I can't believe how painful this disease is. Does it get any better? Will I have a pain free normal life one day soon? I don't go back to the specialist until May but I can't imagine being in this much pain until at least May. I'm feeling so sorry for myself and cry because I'm tired cry because I'm sore. When will it start working?"

Sadiemybeagle March 2, 2016

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I'm 18 and was told I have arthritis about 10 months ago Plaquenil worked after the first couple of weeks but one major side effect is Mouth Ulcers and at times I've been in so much pain with them I couldn't eat. But then the alternative one said it could make my hair fall out (and that is not an option at my age)"

Miss Johnston (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 1, 2016

For Undifferentiated Connective Tissue Disease: "I had my doubts, but after 3 months I found myself getting up and moving around. Within the year, I was off the couch. Prior to starting this medication. My days were difficult. I was constantly fatiqued. Going to work was So difficult, so I worked 12 hour shifts on the weekend( I'm a nurse) I would rest all day Friday to prepare myself and all day Monday to recover. I lived this way more than 10 years till diagnosed with UCTD. Now I've ben on Plaquenil for 6 years and I feel like I have a life again. I worked full time for the past 5 years"

lzz February 28, 2016

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I have been started on plaquenil for a virus I contracted in Haiti after I worked 2 weeks after the devastating earthquake. I had 3 viruses that infectious disease found. The culprit was human Parvovirus B 19. This can cause joint pain in the small joints, especially in adult women. My joint pain would flare up for a couple weeks at a time, then subside. Since August I have had unrelenting pain in my hands, wrists, elbows, forefeet , ankles and knees. Because this is uncommon my medical providers have been unsure of a treatment . I finally saw a rheumatologist who wanted me to try Plaquenil. He said he's doesn't know if it will help but I am giving it a try! I have just started the treatment and I feel very out of sorts!"

Carleysue (taken for less than 1 month) February 27, 2016

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I'm a 30 year old mother of 2. I have been taking plaquenil for about 2 years now. Initially it helped a great deal. I'm noticing my pain levels rising and now I've developed tinnitus. I'm told that plaquenil can cause permanent deafness. So I'm going to have to seek other options. Methotrexate is not an option due to the damage to my lungs pre diagnosis. I'm honestly scared about the cancer risks of other medications but now I don't have a choice."

Sewbizmom (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 22, 2016

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: "I had only had a mild SLE flare about 30 years ago. I had plenty of the discoid lupus symptoms, but they were easily controlled with avoiding the sun and using sunscreens,especially in the last 20 years. I developed another auto-immune problem about 15 years ago.(gluten intolerance or or possible CD.) I ate the "gluten-free" Cheerios when they hit the shelves about 6 months ago, and almost killed myself, as they were not gluten free. This touched off a SLE flare of unbelievable proportions! Practically every joint in my body was hurting SO badly,and I had fever and fatigue and did not respond to NSAIDs. Placquenil has been my lifesaver! Adhering to an anti-inflammatory diet for a month helped, also. The price-worth it."

Barb-Also (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 23, 2016

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Took this for my ankylosing spondylitis. By week two ankle, toe and hand pain lessened. The 5 knives I felt stabbing and twisting along my spine from neck to sacrum were gone by week three. The inflammation, aching and stiffness is still a problem at this point. I didn't think this medication would work this quickly and I'm hoping it continues to relieve even more pain. If so I will give it a ten!"

Started with neck pain (taken for less than 1 month) January 23, 2016

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I have been on Plaquenil since 1996 when I was diagnosed with RA. When I was diagnosed I was in severe pain, unable to hold my infant child or drive. My rheumatologist injected me with steroids to get me immediate relief and started me on Plaquenil. I don't remember my initial dosage but I take 200mg once per day and have been in remission since 1996 and I have had no side effects that I am aware of. I have regular eye exams and periodic screenings by a retinologist and my eyes have had no issues at all."

TJT1 January 22, 2016

97 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I was told by my doctor that plaquenil would not work for my RA because my symptoms were too severe. However I didn't want to take the other more serious drugs, so I took this. It took a month before I noticed ANYTHING, and after two months I felt MUCH better. Now, a year into the drug I have ZERO, and I mean ZERO symptoms of RA. Give it time. It works."

HogFan (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 20, 2015

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I was diagnosed with juvinel rheumatoid arthritis when I was 12, you name the medication.. I've been on it. I'm 28 now and this is the first drug to help me the most. Been on drug 6months."

Raychillie (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 10, 2015

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I just got prescribed this medication and I'm scared to take it the side effects are scary I'm 35 had RA most of my life but just got diagnosed with it 7years now and I don't take pills I like natural treatments Smh"

pooh3201 (taken for less than 1 month) December 2, 2015

For : "Although my tests came back negative for RA, my doctor did prescribe Plaquenil for the inflammation present in my system and the extreme pain and stiffness I was feeling in my hands at only 52. Right away, the nausea began along with terrible sleepiness. This only seemed to occur on my am dose though which debilitated me in the morning. I tried taking it earlier which helped. Then I did some digging and realized that the only difference was that I only take Melixicam in the morning. Reading the list here about the same interacting confirmed my suspicion. Once I stopped taking them at the same time, the nausea stopped. No more throwing up every morning! Because of side effects, I can't rate this high. But it's really helped my OA symptoms."

M...A...H November 24, 2015

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Diagnosed with RA 3 years ago, was put on hydroxychloroquine 200mg 2xdaily. After 4 months nearly all my symptoms had gone! Then the hair loss started and about a year from onset I began to look like I had the mange; so, being a complete peacock I took myself off of the medication. Not a good idea, 2 years of being symptom free and I had forgotten how badly RA sucks! Four months passed and all of my symptoms returned, accompanied with a new symptom of chronic joint popping (and more discomfort and pain) in nearly every joint in my body! So, back to the hydroxychloroquine and hoping for the same relief acquired initially. I'm not ready to go Vin Diesel, so maybe I'll just invest in some baseball caps."

JC071 November 15, 2015