User Reviews for Hydroxychloroquine

Undifferentiated Con...e Tissue Disease
6.6

Summary of Hydroxychloroquine reviews 7.1 195 reviews

Reviews for Hydroxychloroquine

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: "It is working for me."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 13, 2018

For Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: "Life saver.. was on for 4/5 years at 400 mgs daily. Then reduced to 200 mgs every other day. This meant within 3 weeks went into flare. Back onto 400 mgs daily for 6 weeks, then reduced 2 times weekly to 200mgs, managed 6 weeks then mega flare. Back on the 400 mgs now for 3 months, and will remain on this. It controls and reduces flares and damage. sunlight tolerance and rashes now in the past. Fatigue much improved. A bit of hard work to begin with, but keep with it. Ask for PLAQUENIL till your body gets used to it, then go for the generic HCQ. It does really assist in controlling the disease"

Lou (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 29, 2018

For Sjogren's Syndrome: "Been taking it for 8 or 9 years. No adverse effects except that my ears started ringing after maybe 3 years. Doc said he had never heard of that. I honestly don't know that it does anything, but I'm afraid to stop and find out! It definitely did nothing for my dry mouth and eyes. I use Restasis 2x a day and Pilocarpine 2-3x a day. I still have joint pain just about everywhere, some severe. It didn't help the muscle/connective pain but I solved that with a year of frequent Acupuncture. My doc insisted I see the acupuncturist: in fact, he saw the same person for his knee pain. Some arthritis doc he was! Acupuncture saved me. So, I'm now trying to decide if it's worth continuing."

Pegden (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 28, 2018

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I started on plaquenil for Psoriatic Arthritis in 2015. (200mg twice daily). I didn’t feel too bad but a huge bout of stress made my symptoms worse. I then started methotrexate in addition to plaquenil. My rheumatologist suggested once daily Plaquenil and that seemed okay. After a while he said I coujd stop it as he was not sure if it was working. I tapered off the dose and I slowly began feeling dreadful. The fatigue was awful and I had weird signs akin to severe fibro. I then started back on twice daily plaquenil. Within two weeks I began to feel more human and six months later the fatigue is greatly improved. The small joints in my hand and my wrists are less sore: still painful but improved. I can do more now and feel like doing more. I still have some bad fatigue days and the rheumatologist is still talking about biologicals but for the moment I’m happy to see how I go. None of these drugs are perfect but at this stage plaquenil is really helping me."

Amber2 (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 23, 2018

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "My RA Dr. prescribed Plaquenil just over a month ago. I somewhat reluctantly started taking it a week later after researching the side affects. I was to take 200mg/2xday. I chose to take 200mg/day instead due to the worst side affect regarding retina damage. In 3 wks. time I had noticed a marked improvement in my pain level and was able to start doing things again. Then came the hives. Covered most of my body. Stopped taking the drug and just over a week later, I'm still dealing with the tail end of the hives. They've just about cleared up. Sometimes you have to be your own doctor; I can't imagine what would have happened at 400mg/day! Time to try the next Rx......."

tj (taken for less than 1 month) March 18, 2018

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I started this Rx just over 3 wks. ago and upon further research of good vs. bad, decided to half my Dr's daily dose to 200mg/day rather than 400mg. This proved to be wise decision as I broke out in a severe case of hives, going on 3 days now. This damn drug worked really well for RA though, best I've felt in 5 yrs......."

tj (taken for less than 1 month) March 16, 2018

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I was taking this along with sulfasalzine. Within a month I had a severe reaction with neuropathy. My hands and feet grew more numb the longer I took it. After I went off of it the symptoms went away."

placquenal (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 7, 2018

For Sjogren's Syndrome: "I take this for Sjögren's Syndrome. I have been on it for months now and haven't noticed any improvement in my symptoms. In fact, I seem to be getting worse. I also have side effects from this drug such as ringing in my ears, frequent headaches, and increased memory loss. Every body is different but I wouldn't recommend hydroxychloroquine!"

B (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 26, 2018

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Well I posted once before, figured I would give another update for anyone who cares. It's been around 2 years now and I'm glad to say all side effects are long gone. So is my pain for the most part. Sometimes I forget I was even diagnosed with RA (Palindromic Rheumatism). Every once in awhile I will have a flare, my last one was in October of last year 2017, it is now Feb 2018 and still flare free. I've been seeing gaps of 6+ months without any pain. You can see why it's easy to forget lol. Again, this drug is worth it. It seems almost like a dream waking up and not being able to move, a horrible dream."

Enz (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 15, 2018

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I've been using Plaquenil 3 months. It has helped my RA pain subside a lot. While my Rheumatologist says I'm in the beginning stages of RA, she nonetheless put me on the Plaquenil. However, my hair is falling out rapidly so I have weened myself off of it and will never use it again."

Diane Schumacher (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 13, 2018

For Undifferentiated Connective Tissue Disease: "This medication has helped me a lot. I have Undifferentiated Tissue Connective Disease and Fibromyalgia. I also take prednisone for occasional flares along with this medicine. I been on it for 4 months so far I been feeling great! I haven’t had any side effects but I do have my eyes checked as stated by my rheumatologist while on this drug. While on this medicine please remember to have your eyes checked."

Azzure78 February 8, 2018

For Sjogren's Syndrome: "Diagnosed a year ago with Sjorgens. My doctor prescribed generic plaquenil and Nabumetone. Before meds I was hospitalized overnight not knowing what the pain was from. It was so bad I couldn't walk. Muscles, joints, and overall pain everywhere. I was in tears from the pain trying to get by everyday. The combo my rheumy gave me worked fairly fast. Within two months most pain was gone. Now, I am 100 percent pain free. Still very, very tired and still have dry eye problems. I cope with those things and am grateful for what plaquenil has done!"

Delightfulwords January 21, 2018

For Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: "I had lost use of wrists and part of hand and arm for 6 months. Then after taking Hydroxychloroquine I was able to use wrists and hands and arms almost completely once again. Still have some wrist pain but can work around it !"

EllenBeth January 11, 2018

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Undifferentiated Connective Tissue Disease: "I've been on and off Plaquenil for 13 years for Undifferentiated connective tissue disease (UCTD). I have NEVER had a flare while on plaq. The only times I've had flares was when I stupidly stopped taking plaq. That is a mistake I will never make again, after a life threatening flare in 2015. Now I am on plaquenil for life, and 100 % in remission. This drug has been absolutely amazing for me. I guess it just depends on individual body chemistry, but I love this drug so very, very much. Now, honestly, you have to give it 3-6 months to fully take effect, and it can cause GI upset and other side effects at first. You just have to tough it out and be strong-minded. Plaq is a game changer for many UCTD patients but you need to be tough and patient!! Don't skip doses."

LGFr (taken for 10 years or more) December 24, 2017

For Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: "I was recently diagnosed with SLE and started Plaquenil 200mg once a day been over a month now and feel absolutely no difference in joint or muscle pain but do have terrible nausea 24/7 from it with or without food and take Nexium as I’ve had GERD for years but take it 4 hours apart from the Plaquenil as directed. My hair is falling out like crazy. I go to new Rheumatologist next week as the 1st one was horrible and I can’t ask her a question without getting a response of ask your PCP what do I need her for then she’s the specialist not my PCP. I take Percocet for the pain which is the only thing helping me right now. Want off this Malaria Drug."

Sbellife December 10, 2017

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I have been on Plaquenil for about 15 years without apparent side effects until this year. But this year I have developed severe swelling of the face and red rash on the upper half of my face. This also includes very difficult itching in odd places on my body, my eyebrows and eyelashes, my earlobes, my lower legs and lower arms, my scalp and of course where the red rash was. This was twice cleared up with heavy doses of antibiotics and Cortisone. However my rheumatologist took me off all arthritis drugs and we added them back little by little. When plaquenil was finally included with the other drugs again, it took about three days and my My face started swelling and the rash and and itching. I can only assume that this was the cause of my allergic reaction, even after all the years of use."

C Wife December 9, 2017

For Sjogren's Syndrome: "Prescribed Hydroxychloroquine after having been in hospital with Idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura (ITP) . The ITP was being dealt with by the Haematology Consultant - reducing doses of prednisalone. The Rheumatology Consultant prescribed the Hydroxychloroquine (HQ), as I suffer Sjogren's syndrome symptoms. The HQ caused me to be unable to swallow - this was extremely distressing. My GP advised me to cease taking it immediately. It took several days to be able to swallow properly. Although I had taken only six days at 400 mg, I have as a result permanent weakness of muscles and tendons affecting neck, legs, trunk and lower back. This medication has had serious and permanent consequences in my case. The Haematology Consultant would not have considered its prescription"

janonline (taken for less than 1 month) December 8, 2017

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Hydrochloroquine has been a "life saver for me" for my Extreme inner thigh muscle cramps at night ! Five years ago my Inner thigh cramps were so bad and lasted so long , every night, that I could not reach the phone to call 911 for help. I literally could not move until they dissipated. My leg muscles were very sore the next day. Over the counter medications and/or prescriptions did nothing to help. I read an article that said quinine might help. My 94 year old grandfather said that when he was young the doctor prescribed quinine be put in coffee to help his leg cramps. So my doctor prescribed Hydroxycloroquine. I have a cramp now about every 4 months and it is short and manageable. I have no side effects and my eyes are checked every six months."

windspiritjan (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 25, 2017

For Sjogren's Syndrome: "I had a terrible 18 months of cramps, muscle aches and pains, crepitus and headaches with extreme debillitating fatigue before finally getting a diagnosis of Sjogrens( before that they thought I had Fibromyalgia) I would recommend Plaquenil as it has helped to give me back a quality of life. Giving up wheat and gluten after allergy testing has helped enormously and there is a link between autoimmune conditions and wheat allergy/ intolerance so I would recommend any one suffering as I was to get tested. I no longer have any pain and the fatigue has improved a lot but it did take about 4 months to help so please bear that in mind. I am also taking a water based probiotic daily and that has helped me too."

Moggylover November 12, 2017

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I am a 72 year old female, diagnosed with RA 6 years ago. I took Plaquenil (200x2) from 2012-2016, along with Prednisone to start. Due to the fact, I could not use my hands because of the swelling, I risked the possible vision problems. By 2012, symptom free and still fearful of vision loss, I stopped the drug. I was pain and symptom free for one year, but now symptoms have returned, and I have been told to restart the drug(no prednisone.) In the 4 years taking it, I went from 95 lbs. to 85 lbs., lost a significant amount of hair, had cataract surgery and, now, macular degeneration. The decision to restart is extremely emotionally stressful, weighing the benefits against the risk. (Dr. says neither eye problem was caused by the drug"

Backside of 70 November 4, 2017

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I found the drug to be effective in controlling my rheumatoid arthritis but I have now severe proxial myopathy which I attribute to the use of this drug."

sunyan (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 11, 2017

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I primarily treat my RA with CBD paste. While it does pretty good alone, my doctor suggested that Plaquenil might zero out the rest of my symptoms. Even though I have a fairly severe case of RA, the CBD Paste manages about 80% of the disease. But I've been taking the Plaquenil about 3 weeks, and honestly, I think I have more swelling. I've decided to stop for now and am wondering if Plaquenil can actually make the symptoms worse?"

RA treatment October 6, 2017

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Prescribed hydroxychloroquine but mistakenly give twice normal dosage and within 4 days, had and, still have problems with my eyesight. Luckily I checked "google" for side effects and dosage, was referred to hospital for toxicology by my physician and await additional eye tests. I am 76yrs of age"

Kirkie4 (taken for less than 1 month) October 6, 2017

For Lyme Disease, Arthritis: "I have been taking Hydroxychloroquine, 100 mg for several years off and on for chronic lyme which cranked up arthritis soon after being bitten approximately 50 times on the first exposure. This seems to help once my body has adjusted. Often I can feel that it must be working because it will seem to bring on a Herxheimer reaction now and then but overall, this drug has worked well for me."

GoJ October 6, 2017

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I was diagnosed with RA in 2013. The pain was so excruciating I realized I was dealing with a monster. I wish I could say this drug has done wonders. Quite the opposite. The RA drugs make me physically sick. After methotrexate and Humira and the lung infection that nearly killed me, I realize these drugs have serious side effects. Plaquenil. Does absolutely nothing for me. Makes me irrational and depressed and unable to lose weight. Guess its back to Biologics. Rheumatologist is pulling out the big guns. Orencia infusions four hours in duration. Read Orencia infusion reviews which were horrific. But at this point in time podiatrist says I will be in a wheelchair by the time I am 60. Turn off my immune system or wheelchair...Hmm."

lisado (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 5, 2017