User Reviews for Hydroxychloroquine

Also known as: Plaquenil

Hydroxychloroquine has an average rating of 6.6 out of 10 from a total of 296 ratings on Drugs.com. 54% of those users who reviewed Hydroxychloroquine reported a positive effect, while 25% reported a negative effect.

Lyme Disease, Arthritis   8.0
Dermatomyositis   6.1
Summary of Hydroxychloroquine reviews 6.6 296 reviews

Reviews for Hydroxychloroquine

Justin · Taken for less than 1 month February 12, 2021

“Started treatment for Covid on the 3rd day, feeling tired, weak, miserable, feverish. Complete recovery in 72 hours. No side effects.”

Pete · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 27, 2020

For Undifferentiated Connective Tissue Disease: “It took several doctors and approximately 3 years before I was properly diagnosed with UCTD (Undifferentiated Connective Tissue Disease). My rheumatologist prescribed 200mg of HCQ (hydroxychloroquine) twice a day I’ve been taking it religiously since the middle of July 2020. It took exactly 10 weeks to the day to kick in, but after that I felt much better and almost normal again. I began running again starting at 3-5 km a run and got up to 8.5 km. Then, the day after that 8.5 km run, I started to feel worse. It’s been a week now and I still feel horrible. Muscle weakness, slight nausea, muscles aches. Hopefully, this is simply a flare up and will go away again. The only side-effect I have from HCQ is the occasional itching on my arms and legs. It happens about every 3 or four days. That is sometimes unbearable, but disappears in 20 minutes. I will continue taking HCQ and see where the journey takes me. I get my eyes checked regularly due to the HCQ therapy.”

Mickey · Taken for less than 1 month December 26, 2020

For Lyme Disease, Arthritis: “Unbelievable! I’ve suffered with Lyme Disease for several years. 2 days ago I began taking Hydroxychloroquine for treatment of Covid-19 exposure. The first morning after I had taken 400 mg I felt fantastic! Even my neck pain was completely gone and I felt awake and alive! How can I get HCQ to treat Lyme? What’s the proper dose and length of treatment? Feels so good! Glad I got exposed to Covid19 (sniffles) and decided to do the HCQ treatment! Now I know it’s treating Lyme! Wow!”

EB November 21, 2020

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Undifferentiated Connective Tissue Disease: “George: just read your review and had to reply. Hope u read this. I’m the same age; similar exp w/ symptom prog. over a 10 year span. But with AS, I got a few diff opinions (also HLA-B27- but very high pos ANA). My rheum still wanted imaging of my Sacroiliac Joints. 10 yrs of drs never suggested it. It’s diff than just your spine/pelvis. If you haven’t had it specifically, look for a rheum who works with a radiology center. Bc I’ve had an MRI to check prog.; report came back clean. Luckily had a rheum who said no way, got the disc & said it was the worst MRI ever. If it had been first & trusted report, I would have never known I had damage. Didn’t respond well to anti-TNF (for AS). 3 yrs ago was dx’d w/ UCTD/EDS Hypermobility Type. If you haven’t had a rheum check you for that, find a new one. Changed my life. No cure, but finally have right treatment team. I really hope you read this and it helps. If you have any questions let me know I would love to help.”

Raye · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 16, 2020

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: “I took Plaquenil for Lupus for 4 years. It causes eye pain, chest pain, stomach pain and gave my face a melasma appearance that is irreversible. It did NOT help with RA or Lupus symptoms at all, but my doctor wants me to stay on it or see a different doctor.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 15, 2020

For Undifferentiated Connective Tissue Disease: “I have noticed an improvement in my energy level and not as many rash flare ups. I have had no bad side effects and have been on it for almost 2 months”

louisiana girl · Taken for 10 years or more November 15, 2020

For Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: “Hello. I diagnosed with lupus, RA, sjogrens when I was around late 40's. The lupus came first and the rest thereafter. I was given Hydrochloquine after a year of diagnoses and within days got my life back. I had fever and pain, etc for years prior to this. I am active.I am now 68 and thank goodness for this drug hydroxychloroquine. I do have mild tinnitus since taking it but that is minor as I AM FUNCTIONING like I need to be and I have a good life back.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month November 14, 2020

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Dermatomyositis: “I took plaquenil for Dermatomyositis and it caused me to have pain and rash all over my body other than that it didn’t help me.”

Char · Taken for 10 years or more September 28, 2020

For Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: “I have used this drug for many years now without any problems. I get regular eye exams every 6 mths. The normal is 1 year, just my eye Dr likes to check on his patients on it every 6 months. I can only base my opinion on what I know about my experience with it. I have been blessed. If it was this easy for everyone I’d say by all means take it, however I know that sometimes it not this simple. The best advise I can give is to research and talk it over with your Healthcare provider. If you feel it’s right for you try it, who have you to lose? I wish you the very best.”

greenjelloland · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 25, 2020

For Undifferentiated Connective Tissue Disease: “It took 30 years to finally get a diagnosis of UCTD. My rheumatologist trialed me on hydroxycholoroquine. I didn't have high hopes, as I generally react badly to pretty much all medications. He said it would take at least three months to see if it worked for me. But lo and behold!!! I noticed a difference only a couple weeks in. Now I'm on 200mg 2x/day, and have been taking it for nine months. It's a total game changer. I am getting my retinas checked by a specialist once a year.”

Lifeline September 23, 2020

For Undifferentiated Connective Tissue Disease: “This medication hydroxychloroquine has been an absolute lifesaver for me! I was diagnosed with Undifferentiated Connective Tissue Disease 10 years ago. I've been taking Plaquenil for 8 years. I take 400 mg 5 days per week. It took about 4 months to build up enough in my system to start working. By the time I had been on Plaquenil for a year, I felt back to normal. This is a drug that takes time to work -- be patient and don't give up too early. I get a full eye exam annually and also do a visual field test (peripheral vision) every 6 months. I went off of Plaquenil for about 6 months in 2018 and all of my symptoms came back with a vengeance! I will NEVER stop this medication again unless my doctor advises me to for a serious medical reason. Fortunately I have no side effects from it. I have the occasional bad day where I feel achy, tired, and unwell, but most of the time I feel normal and fine with no pain or other debilitating symptoms.”

Juli · Taken for less than 1 month September 13, 2020

For Lyme Disease, Arthritis: “I started on Plaquenil 400 a day, about 10 days ago. Mild nausea after first dose but no side effects since. Slept good for first time in weeks yesterday and actually felt rested afterwards for first time in months with pain all but completely gone. I am weaning off steroids slowly while it gets in my system. Optimistic!”

blue72 · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 5, 2020

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: “6 weeks on hydroxychloroquine for RA. Using this manufacturer for the first 4 weeks. Then was given a different manufacturer that was shaped different and within 2 days started the red itchy patches and joint PAIN. Continued to take a few more days and continued to go downhill. Got my doctor to order a new prescription of this manufacture and now am continuing to go back up hill and feeling so much better. THANK YOU ZYDUS”

Shahg · Taken for 10 years or more August 5, 2020

“I was taking hydroxychoroquine 200mg for 10 year for Sjogrens syndrome but no felt benefits so my doctor stop this.”

George · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 2, 2020

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “Hi, I was diagnosed with RA just recently in 2019 when I was 32. It started with fingers & toes then tender hotspots on arms & legs and upper back pain involvement a month after. I took Plaquenil with full adherence of 300mg/d dosage hence positive effect on fingers & toes and body tenders hit in only on month 6, however it did not help me with upper back pain at all. AS was ruled out with HLA-B27(-), movement capacity and clean spine MRI though. The side effects: skin rash (persisted during first 3 months), stomach pain (few times), diarrhea (persisted during first 3 months now occasionally) and muscle twitches (intensive first month, then milder and I ignore them, maybe not due to HCQ) Nevertheless I'm going to visit my rheumo in coming weeks to discuss my never relieved morning upper back pain.”

RRLE · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 24, 2020

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “This Plaquenil is one of the drugs my arthritis doc put me on. I was told by my eye care specialist that it was damaging my eyes and I needed to stop taking it. My eyes may never recovered I have been off Plaquenil for several years now, and my eyes still have not recovered. I didn't notice any positive results, probably since I took it such a short time, but it didn't take long for it to damage my eyes. DANGEROUS if you value your sight.”

OLDCowgirl · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 6, 2020

For Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: “Having taken Plaquenil for several years 20 years ago, and had stopped for reasons I don't remember (I am 79 yr old woman), My rheumatologist prescribed it for SLE and Sjogren's. I have been taking it for a little over a year again. After taking it for a little over a year, I recently began having irregular heart beats, and the fatigue has returned with a vengeance. Last night I was unable to sleep due to my flip flop heart beats, and my blood pressure was elevated considerably. Unable to reach my rheumatologist after several days and numerous calls, I did not take my Plaquenil today, nor will I continue on it...and will be looking for another rheumatologist. Fatigue is unbearable, and hope I can find a serious doctor to help me until I can leave Arizona for a cooler climate. I moved back to Arizona a couple of years ago after living in a much cooler climate, and it has bothered my SLE and Sjogrens enormously. Utah here I come!”

Hot Dog · Taken for 10 years or more May 20, 2020

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “I am 76 year old female with Rheumatoid Arthritis for about 40 years. I have been on Plaquenil for about 30 years which has controlled pain and swelling of joints. X-rays have shown decrease in joint destruction. I have multiple drug reactions but have had none with Plaquenil. I do have occasional flare in rainy, cold weather which is gone in about 2 days with anti-inflammatory. I see my ophthalmologist once a year for extensive eye exam. To date no problem. Very, very pleased with Plaquenil and love my Rheumatologist.”

GRosas · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 5, 2020

For Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: “my ears still ringing with using hydroxychloroquine over a year ago - they just haven't stopped and nobody can seem to help me. I think that's really messed up I've seen an ear, nose and throat doctor I've seen my primary care doctor and nobody can help me and the medication did nothing but make me feel worse.”

Sorrow · Taken for 10 years or more May 1, 2020

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: “I've had Rheumatoid Arthritis since I was 26 (1978). Over the years I've been on many drugs. I started taking Plaquenil in 1987. I was on gold shots and an NSAID and not doing well at all. A Rheumatologist put me on Plaquenil. He said if I didn't get enough relief, they would put me on a new drug called Methotrexate. I had some improvement with Plaquenil, but 2 years later they did put me on Methotrexate. At one time I was on those 2 drugs, plus Sulfasalazine & Orencia. It was changing my diet that got me off of those other drugs, but I still need to be on the Methotrexate & Plaquenil. I feel pretty good, but I still have flareups occasionally. I have had no side effects from the Plaquenil. I just got the generic hydroxychloroquine with my last refill, so I'll have to see if there's any difference. Since I didn't have a great deal of improvement & still have to take the MTX, I'll give it a 5.”

Jo Jo · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 28, 2020

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: “I have been getting the generic Hydroxychloroquine for 2 months. I have noticed more aches and discomfort returning. I feel like I had more pain free days when taking the medication by a different manufacturer.”

sandy · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 23, 2020

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “I have been taking plaquenil for the last 6 months. It has worked so well to reduce my inflammation. Along with methotrexate I have next to no RA symptoms. Do take this with water or food as it can upset your stomach. Also try to eat healthy as I have noticed increased appetite on this medication”

Sunshinez · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 22, 2020

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: “I've been on hydroxychloroquine for 6 months now for RA and it saved my life from the corona virus. In March I become very sick. Had the chills so bad one night my teeth and body were shaking like crazy. I then started having shortness of breathe and my body was aching everywhere. I was doing breathing treatments almost 7 times a day for what seemed like weeks. My doctor sent me to the emergency room and I ended up having the corona virus. I survived it. Thank God I was already taking hydroxychloroquine.”

Chili · Taken for 5 to 10 years April 20, 2020

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: “I have been taking plaquenil for nine years for RA and I suddenly lost all hearing in my left ear”

Lou · Taken for 10 years or more April 16, 2020

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: “I was diagnosed hydroxychloroquine for RA in 1996. During the next approximate 12 years, my doctors prescribed hydroxychloroquine and methotrexate (can't recall the timing on each). Then after those 12 years of meds, I no longer had any RA pain. My doctor agreed to discontinue the meds. It has been 12 years since then and I remain pain free. I am so happy that hydroxy is being used in the war on COVID19.”