User Reviews for Hydroxychloroquine systemic

Rheumatoid Arthritis
6.5

Summary of Hydroxychloroquine reviews 7.1 208 reviews

Reviews for Hydroxychloroquine

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: "Plaquenil Users Beware: Drug can make you completely blind: re: toxic maculopathy I took Plaquenil for over 13 years. One retina specialist said because of the toxic maculopathy it caused. *even if you quit taking the drug, it can continue to damage the eye until blindness occurs. If you are taking it, make sure your physician is using the NEW guidelines on treatment ==I think it is no more than 5 milligrams per kilogram If you have ANY changes in your vision, friends, head to a retinal specialist--1 test I had an angiogram done. Are there any support groups or experimental therapies for toxic maculopathy? I found EyePromise Restore Vitamins that I take for retina health my Dr. says will help "

amandafromneworleans January 13, 2019

For Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: "I have had no problems. However after research I cut my dose to 200mg a day. Meds scare me. Benlysta and methotrexate made me sick. Been on Plaquenil for years now but don't want to go blind which is rare."

Mel (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 9, 2019

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Used plaquenil for 6 weeks until I developed a terrible full-body rash. It was working for the inflammation and pain very well until the rash"

mamabear (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 12, 2018

For Undifferentiated Connective Tissue Disease: "Starting experiencing improvement after a month of taking it. Six months in and I have significant improvement in my quality of life. Fewer flares and I can play with my grandchildren (I'm 54). I still have the occasional flare and some body ache, but I can work with it. Other than the initial side effects of nausea and diarrhea (only lasted a couple of weeks), I'm good to go."

Stacie (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 3, 2018

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I've been on a roller coaster for yrs w/Plaquenil for RA/Lupus. I take name brand to prevent side effects of red, warm, swollen, painful hands + nausea/dizziness, hair loss, etc. Each time I try going back to generic, side effects return immediately. I'm not one to comment but I read so many reviews that sounded like either my ups or downs, so I want to encourage ppl to stick w/this med & try name brand (though expensive) if having bad side effects w/generic. It could explain why some ppl have such opposite experiences. I get Plaquenil from international pharm & it's much cheaper. It works better than biologics that contributed to/sped up process leading to my cancer. I'm now "cancer-free" & refuse to go back on them. I might have to get vision checked & deal w/other mild side effects, but pain/swelling is gone on Plaquenil. Anyway, pls hang in there & give your body enough time to adjust to med before stopping it. It's a risk vs. reward scenario w/meds."

Holly November 13, 2018

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Dermatomyositis: "I have dermatomyositis and have been taken Prednisone and Plaquenil. At first the combo was helping with the muscle pain and rash. After 2 wks on the Plaquenil I got a sunburn itchy rash all over my body. I also have bruise/like spots where the old rash was."

cajunlady (taken for less than 1 month) October 18, 2018

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: "When first diagnosed 3 yrs ago, my rheumy wanted to try Plaquenil first. He did tell me that some people develop allergies to the drug. Sure enough, three months in I developed hives all over my body. Had to stop the drug. Now I have Kenalog injections every 5-6 months which have worked well for me. No side effects and I am returned to my pre-RA self. Plaquenil is a great treatment for many; just not for me. Every person's physiology is different. My GP has also been researching some older drugs that he thinks were back-burnered due to new biologics. I'm researching as well."

Autumn (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 16, 2018

For Sjogren's Syndrome: "I was on 400mg daily for my primary Sjogren's syndrome (pSS). It did help with some symptoms but I was experiencing severe fatigue, muscle pain & weakness; my rheumy said was from my pSS & Fibro. I had severe tinnitus, ear pain & fullness. Decreased mental wellness, suicidal ideation, severe anxiety, brain fog. I was on it for 1yr. I had horrible stabbing pains, electric shocks through my body, sometimes would make me scream. On the website it said these side effects may be rare but to discuss it with my doc. My rheumy told me I could not stop this med & that it wouldn't cause this problem & I need to stop doing research on the internet. So I cut my dose in half, after 6 months I was feeling better so I stopped the med completely. I found a new rheumy who confirmed that these are side effects, though not as frequent as others. I feel much better after being off of it. Some of my pSS symptoms have come back but I feel nowhere near as bad as I did when I was on hydroxychloroquine."

MissDW October 7, 2018

For Undifferentiated Connective Tissue Disease: "Hydroxychloroquine has been a miracle drug for me. I've been on it for 6 years. I first got sick in 2010. I struggled with strange, debilitating symptoms for 2 years before being put on Plaquenil by a rheumatologist. I had a high positive ANA (Antinuclear Antibody test) , positive Rheumatoid Factor, and low complement levels. My symptoms were Raynauds, extreme sensitivity to cold, all-over body PAIN (muscles, joints, skin, tendons, everything hurt), GERD, migraines with aura, heart palpitations, nausea and diarrhea, flu-like feelings, fatigue, dizziness and weakness, and tingling and numbness that would come and go. I was barely managing to function. I was put on Plaquenil finally when my rheumatologist looked at my nailfold capillaries--they were abnormal in a way that suggested connective tissue disease. Within 3-4 months I started to feel better. I got better and better over the next 6 months. By the time I'd been on Plaquenil for a year, I felt almost normal again with only the occasional bad day."

Toronto Mom October 6, 2018

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I tried this med for mild to moderate rhuematoid arthritis and after a few days of stomach aches I started getting severe stomach pain that had me doubled over. I realized it had begun when I started taking the Plaquenil. I called my dr and we agreed I should not be taking it. Less than 24 hours later my pain was gone. Not for me! Never again... it was a terrible experience!"

kat (taken for less than 1 month) October 1, 2018

For Undifferentiated Connective Tissue Disease: "I have been on this for at least 1 1/2 years for Undifferentiated connective tissue disease (UCTD). I must admit I’m a recovering alcoholic for almost 2 years. I can’t remember when I was first diagnosed and started this medication. All I can say is I wasn’t aware of these side effects and truly I don’t think I had any and my health has done nothing but improve. I thought maybe because I quite drinking. I do have to have my eyes checked at least every 6 months."

Tugars (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 16, 2018

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Diagnosed with severe RA approx November 2015, Rheumatologist put me on Hydroxychloroquine and Humira. Methotrexate was out of the question because of my kidney condition. Have been through the Humira, Enbrel and was on Xeljanz until prostate cancer was found. Have been on just the Hydroxychloroquine for about 5 months and the RA is no worse than it ever was. The entire time I've had stomach issues, vomiting, no appetite. These are also side effects of my Polysystic kidneys so I didn't give it much thought. Decided to stop the Hydroxy because of the nausea etc. It's only been 2 days but my stomach feels much better."

Hemi Dave (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 7, 2018

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Sjogren's Syndrome: "Did not help me. It gave me nightmares."

Godfrey (taken for 10 years or more) September 1, 2018

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for : "I have been on plaquenil for two years for psoriatic arthritis. I have severe sacroiliac disease and wrist and fingers involved. It has been miraculous. Maybe I am a rare guy but it worked within days. Whenever I came off it travelling to a sunny destination or to try only an anti inflammatory for a flare or even a steroid injection things were bad until I restarted plaquenil. Then it was like a switch boom. Better. Each day ten per cent better. I read there are anti inflammatory properties. I must have lucked out. This is too good an improvement to put it on placebo effect. Plus that's not me - I am a sceptical family doctor !!! Definitely worth a first try before methotrexate or biologics."

Gattisdoc August 17, 2018

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: "It is working for me."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 13, 2018

For Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: "Life saver.. was on for 4/5 years at 400 mgs daily. Then reduced to 200 mgs every other day. This meant within 3 weeks went into flare. Back onto 400 mgs daily for 6 weeks, then reduced 2 times weekly to 200mgs, managed 6 weeks then mega flare. Back on the 400 mgs now for 3 months, and will remain on this. It controls and reduces flares and damage. sunlight tolerance and rashes now in the past. Fatigue much improved. A bit of hard work to begin with, but keep with it. Ask for PLAQUENIL till your body gets used to it, then go for the generic HCQ. It does really assist in controlling the disease"

Lou (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 29, 2018

For Sjogren's Syndrome: "Been taking it for 8 or 9 years. No adverse effects except that my ears started ringing after maybe 3 years. Doc said he had never heard of that. I honestly don't know that it does anything, but I'm afraid to stop and find out! It definitely did nothing for my dry mouth and eyes. I use Restasis 2x a day and Pilocarpine 2-3x a day. I still have joint pain just about everywhere, some severe. It didn't help the muscle/connective pain but I solved that with a year of frequent Acupuncture. My doc insisted I see the acupuncturist: in fact, he saw the same person for his knee pain. Some arthritis doc he was! Acupuncture saved me. So, I'm now trying to decide if it's worth continuing."

Pegden (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 28, 2018

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I started on plaquenil for Psoriatic Arthritis in 2015. (200mg twice daily). I didn’t feel too bad but a huge bout of stress made my symptoms worse. I then started methotrexate in addition to plaquenil. My rheumatologist suggested once daily Plaquenil and that seemed okay. After a while he said I coujd stop it as he was not sure if it was working. I tapered off the dose and I slowly began feeling dreadful. The fatigue was awful and I had weird signs akin to severe fibro. I then started back on twice daily plaquenil. Within two weeks I began to feel more human and six months later the fatigue is greatly improved. The small joints in my hand and my wrists are less sore: still painful but improved. I can do more now and feel like doing more. I still have some bad fatigue days and the rheumatologist is still talking about biologicals but for the moment I’m happy to see how I go. None of these drugs are perfect but at this stage plaquenil is really helping me."

Amber2 (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 23, 2018

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "My RA Dr. prescribed Plaquenil just over a month ago. I somewhat reluctantly started taking it a week later after researching the side affects. I was to take 200mg/2xday. I chose to take 200mg/day instead due to the worst side affect regarding retina damage. In 3 wks. time I had noticed a marked improvement in my pain level and was able to start doing things again. Then came the hives. Covered most of my body. Stopped taking the drug and just over a week later, I'm still dealing with the tail end of the hives. They've just about cleared up. Sometimes you have to be your own doctor; I can't imagine what would have happened at 400mg/day! Time to try the next Rx......."

tj (taken for less than 1 month) March 18, 2018

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I started this Rx just over 3 wks. ago and upon further research of good vs. bad, decided to half my Dr's daily dose to 200mg/day rather than 400mg. This proved to be wise decision as I broke out in a severe case of hives, going on 3 days now. This damn drug worked really well for RA though, best I've felt in 5 yrs......."

tj (taken for less than 1 month) March 16, 2018

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I was taking this along with sulfasalzine. Within a month I had a severe reaction with neuropathy. My hands and feet grew more numb the longer I took it. After I went off of it the symptoms went away."

placquenal (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 7, 2018

For Sjogren's Syndrome: "I take this for Sjögren's Syndrome. I have been on it for months now and haven't noticed any improvement in my symptoms. In fact, I seem to be getting worse. I also have side effects from this drug such as ringing in my ears, frequent headaches, and increased memory loss. Every body is different but I wouldn't recommend hydroxychloroquine!"

B (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 26, 2018

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Well I posted once before, figured I would give another update for anyone who cares. It's been around 2 years now and I'm glad to say all side effects are long gone. So is my pain for the most part. Sometimes I forget I was even diagnosed with RA (Palindromic Rheumatism). Every once in awhile I will have a flare, my last one was in October of last year 2017, it is now Feb 2018 and still flare free. I've been seeing gaps of 6+ months without any pain. You can see why it's easy to forget lol. Again, this drug is worth it. It seems almost like a dream waking up and not being able to move, a horrible dream."

Enz (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 15, 2018

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I've been using Plaquenil 3 months. It has helped my RA pain subside a lot. While my Rheumatologist says I'm in the beginning stages of RA, she nonetheless put me on the Plaquenil. However, my hair is falling out rapidly so I have weened myself off of it and will never use it again."

Diane Schumacher (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 13, 2018

For Undifferentiated Connective Tissue Disease: "This medication has helped me a lot. I have Undifferentiated Tissue Connective Disease and Fibromyalgia. I also take prednisone for occasional flares along with this medicine. I been on it for 4 months so far I been feeling great! I haven’t had any side effects but I do have my eyes checked as stated by my rheumatologist while on this drug. While on this medicine please remember to have your eyes checked."

Azzure78 February 8, 2018