User Reviews for Hydroxychloroquine

Also known as: Plaquenil, Quineprox

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Hydroxychloroquine.

Dermatomyositis

Undifferentiated Con...e Tissue Disease
6.2

Summary of Hydroxychloroquine reviews 7.7 177 reviews

Reviews for Hydroxychloroquine

For Sjogren's Syndrome: "I had a terrible 18 months of cramps, muscle aches and pains, crepitus and headaches with extreme debillitating fatigue before finally getting a diagnosis of Sjogrens( before that they thought I had Fibromyalgia) I would recommend Plaquenil as it has helped to give me back a quality of life. Giving up wheat and gluten after allergy testing has helped enormously and there is a link between autoimmune conditions and wheat allergy/ intolerance so I would recommend any one suffering as I was to get tested. I no longer have any pain and the fatigue has improved a lot but it did take about 4 months to help so please bear that in mind. I am also taking a water based probiotic daily and that has helped me too."

Moggylover November 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I am a 72 year old female, diagnosed with RA 6 years ago. I took Plaquenil (200x2) from 2012-2016, along with Prednisone to start. Due to the fact, I could not use my hands because of the swelling, I risked the possible vision problems. By 2012, symptom free and still fearful of vision loss, I stopped the drug. I was pain and symptom free for one year, but now symptoms have returned, and I have been told to restart the drug(no prednisone.) In the 4 years taking it, I went from 95 lbs. to 85 lbs., lost a significant amount of hair, had cataract surgery and, now, macular degeneration. The decision to restart is extremely emotionally stressful, weighing the benefits against the risk. (Dr. says neither eye problem was caused by the drug"

Backside of 70 November 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I found the drug to be effective in controlling my rheumatoid arthritis but I have now severe proxial myopathy which I attribute to the use of this drug."

sunyan (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I primarily treat my RA with CBD paste. While it does pretty good alone, my doctor suggested that Plaquenil might zero out the rest of my symptoms. Even though I have a fairly severe case of RA, the CBD Paste manages about 80% of the disease. But I've been taking the Plaquenil about 3 weeks, and honestly, I think I have more swelling. I've decided to stop for now and am wondering if Plaquenil can actually make the symptoms worse?"

RA treatment October 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Prescribed hydroxychloroquine but mistakenly give twice normal dosage and within 4 days, had and, still have problems with my eyesight. Luckily I checked "google" for side effects and dosage, was referred to hospital for toxicology by my physician and await additional eye tests. I am 76yrs of age"

Kirkie4 (taken for less than 1 month) October 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Lyme Disease, Arthritis: "I have been taking Hydroxychloroquine, 100 mg for several years off and on for chronic lyme which cranked up arthritis soon after being bitten approximately 50 times on the first exposure. This seems to help once my body has adjusted. Often I can feel that it must be working because it will seem to bring on a Herxheimer reaction now and then but overall, this drug has worked well for me."

GoJ October 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I was diagnosed with RA in 2013. The pain was so excruciating I realized I was dealing with a monster. I wish I could say this drug has done wonders. Quite the opposite. The RA drugs make me physically sick. After methotrexate and Humira and the lung infection that nearly killed me, I realize these drugs have serious side effects. Plaquenil. Does absolutely nothing for me. Makes me irrational and depressed and unable to lose weight. Guess its back to Biologics. Rheumatologist is pulling out the big guns. Orencia infusions four hours in duration. Read Orencia infusion reviews which were horrific. But at this point in time podiatrist says I will be in a wheelchair by the time I am 60. Turn off my immune system or wheelchair...Hmm."

lisado (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Dermatomyositis: "The medication cleared the continued rash on my arms, however, the side effects were not worth it. My Dermatologist prescribed this medication to be taken 2 x daily 200 mg. Initially I had few side effects, however after taking for about 6 weeks the problems began. I initially started having blurry vision and basically was night blind. Other side effects included hip and back pain and nervousness. I initially had no idea what was going on but kind of a fluke I decided to check the three prescriptions I was on to see adverse side effects. Wow when I read the one for this medication it was like I was describing my issues. I wish my doctor or the pharmacist would have warned me more of the side effects."

RJD56 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Undifferentiated Connective Tissue Disease: "Been on it for 10 years. Flares are minimal. I take prednisone also and since not supposed to take other NSAIDs or aspirin with that I stick to my pain med and muscle relaxer only. Took a few years to realize I needed the full dosage and to stay consistent. Plaquenil generic saved my life and got me out of the bed. I have multiple autoimmune diagnosis, Lupus, undifferentiated multiconnetive tissue disorder, crest, scleraderma, dermatomyositis, sjogrens, hashimoto dz (which is Leukocytic thyroiditis) fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue, migraines, and so many more. I have controlled pain much better with very low carb diet keeping weight down, staying away from gluten refined sugar or any type of aspartame. If I eat breads or sugar I hurt worse"

Shaluwhitla (taken for 10 years or more) September 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: "I've been taking this medicine for 4 days. I have not experienced any negative side effects yet. No nausea or jittery feelings like others I've read about. Since starting this medicine I've noticed I've slept like a rock. No waking up at all and no problems falling asleep. I just felt I should share this observation since I was terrified to start after reading all these horror stories. Not everyone is negatively affected."

ShellyBeans333 (taken for less than 1 month) September 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I am still trying to figure out what this drug is suppose to do cause I still get the soreness in the joints and the swelling especially in the shoulders and hands some nites its hard to sleep unless I take something for the pain in both"

spunkies (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: "I'm in Australia , only just started this medication a week ago but I feel a less fatigued already. I was stuck in bed most days, but now I can go longer without needing to go to bed or feeling like I'm going to collapse. I haven't noticed any bad side effects yet either which is good! As I get nauseated and dizzy on meds easily and haven't found that to be the case! I just wanted to point out that some people hear a lot of bad things that aren't necessarily reported or true. Like I noticed a woman on here said she needs to stop taking it because of the tinnitus side effect means she might go deaf. But deafness hasn't been reported, just tinnitus as a side effect whilst taking it. Don't be so afraid if it's going to give u your life back"

Cass888 (taken for less than 1 month) August 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Undifferentiated Connective Tissue Disease: "I took this medication for only 3 weeks for Mixed Connective Tissue Disease. (Diagnosed 15 years ago, medication free for the last 11years). My only active symptom at the time was Raynaud's. I really did not want to take any medication, and felt that improving my lifestyle/keeping warm was worth a try, but my (new) rheumatologist pushed it and said he would discharge me if I didn't take it. All my other tests (lung function, heart scan, bloods) were fine. What a mistake. It did not help my Raynaud's, but did cause huge hives from my neck to my ankle. My last dose was May 25th, it is now August 9th and these unsightly hives continue to come and go. With such a long half life (up to 50 days) it will take over 18 months to fully eliminate it"

LucyDJ (taken for less than 1 month) August 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Undifferentiated Connective Tissue Disease: "When taking this medicine, in the first week I had stomach pains and severe ringing in the ears. It also makes me feel exhausted."

Myami (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Undifferentiated Connective Tissue Disease: "This medication has given me a normal life for the past 11 years. How do I know? I was just recently taken off the drug and have become even sicker than before I was diagnosed. My quality of life went from an 8 to a 2 in just a couple of months. I highly recommend this medication. It has truly been a miracle pill for me. I'm back on it and waiting the 3-4 months it takes to work (at least that's how long it took the first time). I have a great opthamologist who has assured me he will catch retinal damage before I will ever notice a change in my vision, so as far as I'm concerned, I want to stay on Plaquenil until I'm forced off it."

SeattleStacie (taken for 10 years or more) June 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Undifferentiated Connective Tissue Disease: "I've been on Plaquenil since March 2017 for recent diag of Mixed Connective Tissue Disease. Prior to that 13 yrs of seeing specialists for body aches, total body inflammation/swelling, joint pain, & stiffness - majority in neck/shoulders/entire back. Body aches increased often after eating. Very painful headaches during the day & at night headlights of other cars were unbearable. Days just stuck in bed. One day of Plaquenil changed my life - it gave me more energy, eliminated the headaches, subsided inflammation/swelling, nearly non-existent pain! Three months later still going strong. But being in the sun does bring the pain back. Otherwise, did not experience any adverse effects many mention."

Vitamin D June 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Haven't taken this. Just wanted to read some feedback. I was on methotrexate, but stopped, because it gave me chills, fatigue and shortness of breath, I even fainted at work. The doctor suggested Plaquenil as a possible alternative, but after reading some of the comments, I don't think so. This is really frustrating and sad. The FDA should NOT be approving these crappy drugs which can cause worse problems than the one you have. I honestly don't know what to do, let the RA turn me into a cripple or take my chances with one of these death drugs?"

Darkchief99 June 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I am a 54yr old female, just diagnosed with RA two months ago. I also suffer from fibromyalgia. Started taking Placquenil exactly one month ago, along with Lyrica. Had only been taking the Placquenil for two weeks when I had a severe reaction , dizziness, abdominal pain nausea and vomiting. Was hospitalized for 4 days and am still recovering from drug induced vertigo. This is week three of vertigo, I can't drive or work and have no benefits. I was hopeful this drug might help me, now my future is uncertain cause I can't work and have no income. Its Thursday and tomorrow my mortgage and other bills are due and here I am literally spinning out of control."

Kilworthygirl (taken for less than 1 month) April 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Love this drug, compared to the others. I am 55 now, and first took it 30 years ago. My RA then came on lightening fast, nodules and all. I went from totally normal to almost wheel chair in weeks. The weight of a bed sheet on my toes was too much. Two plaquenil a day and 2400 mg of ibuprofen a day ( that's 12 regular dose!) and I went into total remission. Of course my stomach is crap now. After 25 years of remission, the RA returned. Different now that I'm older (55), more subtle. Chose plaquenil again, and working wonders, but for my permanent damage. Get your eyes checked, a must. Some hair will fall out, but hey, I'm glad I still have some to fall out. WEIRD dreams. Irritability. Will lose weight! TAKE WITH FOOD to avoid cramps."

RichEsq April 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: "I am back, I wrote previously. I wanted to give an update. I stopped taking the twice a day hydroxychloroquine after taking them 6 yrs to see if my hair would start growing back. Well after 30 days there was no change to my hair situation. Come to find out I have alopecia. Although my scalp is healthy I am praying my hair will eventually grow back. I am back on the hydroxychloroquine due to me having bad chest pains/heart burn. I guess the pills were also helping in other areas in my body fight off lupus ailments. So once the drugs kicked back in after 2 weeks my chest pains are gone and I no longer have to take antacids. Be care if you stop taking them. Trying viviscal and biotin. I will update again."

C-HereC (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I've been on Plaquenil for over 3 months now. It works wonderfully! I combine my treatment with Curcumin & Magnesium baths and I feel like a new woman :-) Side effects I experienced: Nausea & dizziness for the first week or two (I found I needed to take it after a full meal to prevent the nausea). I have also noticed since starting the Plaquenil I seem to sweat profusely. It's annoying, but the benefits far outweigh this little problem. I just wear my gym gear about now... which I did mostly beforehand anyhow :-) Also, it take take a couple months for the Plaquenil to kick in & for me to feel the effects! Don't give up, just give it some time."

KittensAussiePrincess March 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: "I started taking this drug in 2015 when I was diagnosed with SLE. It did wonders! For my pain and stiffness and inflammation in my joints. It also slightly helped the rash I developed on my face. About three months after starting use I noticed that I was losing an amazing amount of hair. I don't with this for about a month thinking that it would just go away that it was a change of my hormones or something of the like but that was not the case. The hair loss continued until I had lost about 45% of my hair. I went off at this drug in December 2015 it is now May 2017 and I have finally gotten most of my hair back to the length I can be happy with."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: "I was diagnosed with SLE lupus in 2011, my lupus is mild and has remained mild. My only ailments are inflammation of my joints, mainly my right hand fingers and my left foot baby toe. I have been taking the Hydroxychloroquine 200mg Tab twice a day. I have not found any change to my pain from taking this drug. I was given pain meds for the inflammation that helps after two weeks of taking them. I noticed my hair breaking off the past 3 yrs after taking the drug, prior to taking it my hair was growing very well and doing good. I went to a dermatologist who said my scalp was healthy and gave me shampoo for the itchy scalp and desoximetasone ointment usp 0.05%. Could this low dose of Hydroxychloroquine cause my hair loss?"

C-here C March 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I began taking Plaquenil for RA 1 month ago. Despite information from my doctor that it would be at least 3 months before I see an appreciable effect, I am feeling better than I have in the last year. Prior to Plaquenil, I tried Mobic & Medrol, both with limited improvement. But over the last few weeks I have been able to play basketball with my son again, move without thinking or a 'warm up period', return to the gym, begin Pilates & I've lost 12 pounds! I did have some GI upset over the last month, but nothing I would consider stopping this medication for. I am able to enjoy things again & live life without discomfort."

Kat019 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for Sjogren's Syndrome: "This was not the answer for me, I developed a bad rash and itching over my entire body and now my ears ring and that will never go away. Just from taking it for under a month."

Stacey333 February 10, 2017