User Reviews for Hydroxychloroquine to treat Dermatomyositis

Also known as: Plaquenil

Hydroxychloroquine has an average rating of 6.1 out of 10 from a total of 7 ratings for the treatment of Dermatomyositis. 57% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 29% reported a negative effect.

Hydroxychloroquine Rating Summary

6.1/10 average rating

Compare all 13 medications used in the treatment of Dermatomyositis.

cajunlady · Taken for less than 1 month October 18, 2018

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine): “I have dermatomyositis and have been taken Prednisone and Plaquenil. At first the combo was helping with the muscle pain and rash. After 2 wks on the Plaquenil I got a sunburn itchy rash all over my body. I also have bruise/like spots where the old rash was.”

Just Happy November 18, 2009

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine): “The drug Plaquenil was used faithfully for three months for the treatment of sarcoidosis. My scalp was ozing, flaking and overwhelmed with hyperpigmented lesions. The hair was approximately 1/4 inch in length due to the severity of the outbreak. My scalp has healed and the hair is now 6 inches long. The Plaquenil allowed my scalp to resume normal hair growth.”

Lou 2 January 28, 2014

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine): “I have dermatomyositis. Plaquenil along with quinicrine treated my hand lesions which were very painful. This took about a year to accomplish. It's been about a year and a half now and I'm starting to react to one or both of the medications. I have a rash all over my body and ulcers and lichen planus in my mouth. I'm seeing my doctor shortly to see about this.”

Lisa · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 22, 2019

“I started using plaquenil for the first few months after diagnosed with dermatomyositis. Then I went to John's Hopkins Myositis Center. They told me they do not usually start on plaquenil but skip straight to azathioprine. Did not see any improvement on plaquenil which is also their experience with most of their patients. Glad I switched meds because my CK levels went from 1300 to 300 in a few months.”

RJD56 · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 1, 2017

“The medication cleared the continued rash on my arms, however, the side effects were not worth it. My Dermatologist prescribed this medication to be taken 2 x daily 200 mg. Initially I had few side effects, however after taking for about 6 weeks the problems began. I initially started having blurry vision and basically was night blind. Other side effects included hip and back pain and nervousness. I initially had no idea what was going on but kind of a fluke I decided to check the three prescriptions I was on to see adverse side effects. Wow when I read the one for this medication it was like I was describing my issues. I wish my doctor or the pharmacist would have warned me more of the side effects.”

Flyboyzmama October 31, 2015

“Overall good No side effects Have been taking drug for abt 3 yrs. Have not had a recurrent attack. Weight settled down at 100 pounds. Also have insilent dependant type 2 Diabetes. Was 20-30 lbs overweight all my life .. I have good muscle control but can no longer lift a 50# bag of anything . 25-30 # is my new limit. It's a new me and I'm good with that.”

Angie J November 25, 2008

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine): “I've been taking Plaquenil since May 2008 for Dermatomyositis and rheumatoid arthritis. It's been great! It helped greatly with the fatigue. Highly recommended.”