User Reviews for Rituximab

Also known as: Rituxan

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Rituximab.

Pemphigoid

Microscopic polyangiitis

1 review 1 medications
Summary of Rituximab reviews 7.7 78 reviews

Reviews for Rituximab

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Have had RA for just under 25 years. Developed rheumatoid vasculitis and over the past 4 years have been in so much pain, it's like my body completely gave up. Even bed ridden for 4 or so months. Finally started the rituxan a little over a year ago. On prednisone and methotrexate as well. I am curious to know if anyone else is taking the same amount as I am? I currently go in every 4 months and get 4 infusions in a row (weekly) each time. I don't sleep for 2-3 days after each infusion then crash a couple of days. Back pain and achiness for a couple of days. Having memory problems and balance issues. Other than that it has been a lifesaver, still some pain but vasculitis has improved. If you can't pay, see if drug company can assist."

Mama of 2 boys October 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I am very grateful this site exists and a search for information during my 1st infusion indicated the scratchy throat & ears I was experiencing was reported by other patients. I called my nurse & was given benadryl/prednisone and the drip was slowed. The whole infusion from 9AM-4pm resulted in some tiredness the day after but no hand or L hip pain. I had been off orencia for 10 wks., got a shingles vaccine & was on MTX self-inject. I had previously been on humira for 10 yrs and developed an itchy chest rash. I had a false positive test for Lupus & had to discontinue. I work full-time as a Speech Pathologist & lead an active lifestyle. Thanks again fellow posters & your experience reports are vital for patients!"

TanaLV (taken for less than 1 month) September 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma: "I started this treatment with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. However, since my first treatment my fatigue has become debilitating, I don't have enough energy to do any of the things I normally do, I had 4 treatments in May, then 4 more infusions in August. The fatigue lingers like a fog that will not lift. My sleep pattern has changed. I wakeup 3 to 5 hours after going to sleep feeling wide awake. I cannot stay in the bed though I am still sleepy. I have dreams that are so realistic that I participate in them, or act them out. My attention span is shot. I can't concentrate on what I am trying to do and end up jumping from one thing to another."

Jimmy210 September 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bullous Pemphigoid: "I had 4 rituxan infusions last year. Discontinued all meds in Dec. 2016. Symptoms returned within 2 weeks. Blood work in Jan. 2017 showed my numbers were still as high as when I was first tested a year earlier. Started again with the azathioprine and have had 4 rituxan infusions this year. Will not know if infusions worked until I have more blood work. My infusions take approximately 5 hours to avoid most side effects."

Photodancer (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Rituxan (rituximab) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: "After failing all other RA treatments, I was high-dose steroid dependent and running out of options. I'll admit, the PML risk had scared me off from trying Rituxan sooner; however the increasing (and very real) risk of becoming non-functional scared me more. I began infusions about 4 years ago. While most patients receive concomitant methotrexate therapy, I do not, due to liver damage from previous methotrexate use. Rituxan has improved my quality of life physically, mentally, emotionally. My advanced RA will never allow me to live "normally" but I am the best me I can be with this treatment. Side effects are minimal for me; nausea for a few days after each infusion. That's my story!"

MsAnna (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "This is for my rheumatoid vasculitus. This first dose caused a reaction but the staff was right on the first indication, adjusted the drip and we continued. It took around 7 hours. The benedril made me fall asleep. The second one two weeks later went without incident, about 4 hours. Five months later, I have been able to reduce my prednisone intake without a flare up of RA, and the nerve pain from the vasculitis has remarkably dwindled from lasting and unbearable to very manageable. It doesn't reverse damage, but my sed rate is around 11 (from 30) and if I didn't have to worry so much about the ghastly cost of this med, at this point I have to say it's been most amazing. There is financial help available I think."

Sister sylvia (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Had 1st infusion of rituximab & experienced tingling in & around mouth, white of eyes turned blood red. Later that day I had palpitations & shortness of breath. The next morning I had nausea & severe headaches. By lunchtime I was so cold I was shivering, despite hot water bottles and going to bed did not get warm until the early hours of the next day, then I started with a temperature. Have rheumatoid arthritis affecting most joints, the joint pain increased further. Its been 3 weeks since my 1st infusion, my gut instinct is not to have the 2nd, I'm still enduring the side effects daily however not as severe as at 1st."

Jake51 April 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Rituxan (rituximab) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I had first infusion with no problems during administration but 2 weeks after I had to go to the E.R. with a heart arrhythmia and had to have my heart shocked back into normal rhythm. Two days later had second infusion with no problems during administration. 2 weeks later same thing...back to the E.R....heart shocked back into rhythm . Heart rate was stuck at 150 bpm. Had to be put in hospital for 4 days to be given an anti - arrhythmic drug that can also cause a fatal arrhythmia. So I would be cautious if you have any type of heart problem prior to taking Rituxan. I will not ever take it again."

BigPoppy April 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Rituxan (rituximab) for Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma: "After 6 rounds of chemo (2 drugs, 2 days - Bendamustine & Retuximab), I had Stage 3 b-cell Lymphoma, I am cancer free. My oncologist wants me to do a maintenance program of the Retuximab every 2 months for 2 years. Is the maintenance necessary?"

SuzRJ (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Rituxan (rituximab) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: "This is the first day I've had ZERO pain in 6 years. I tried Enbrel - good but not strong enough after 2 years. Humira - allergic. I just finished my second infusion from Rituxan. And I am cautiously happy. Absolutely no pain anywhere."

Nicoco (taken for less than 1 month) February 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I suffer from pulmonary fibrosis and acquired haemophilia as well as RA..Rituximab has almost completely knocked out RA and has assisted the other 2. I don't take methotrexate, but 10mg of prednisolene per day. Interestingly, I had sweating disorder pre infusions, but the drug seems to help alleviate. I started with 4 infusions a week apart, which became ineffective after 6 months (Factor 8 levels dropped and RA flared) and my latest dose was given over 2 infusions at a different hospital 6 months ago and hasn't yet become inneffective (am being primed for further infusions). I had absolutely no problems during or after infusions."

Ramsaregreat February 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I had to go off of Embrel and go on Rituxan because I had developed a melanoma. They felt that the Rituxan was less likely to cause a repeat of the melanoma than any of the other Biologics. It actually took two months for it to begin to work. Once it began working, though, it started quickly. I still have to take a low dose of Prednisone every day and some pain medicine, but for the most part it is much more effective. Have only had the two original infusions so I can't say what it will do long term. I had a slight reaction during the infusion, but they slowed it down and increased the Benadryl, and everything was fine. I had to pay $3,000 of the cost of the two infusions since my insurance (tricare) will not discount."

Dillomom (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Pemphigoid: "Has worked for my condition Dermatayocitis well enough that I have gone from needing full time care to being able to care for myself and resume working full time. Wonderful results."

Big Bo (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 27, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "It does seem to improve the pains in the joints but not that much in my lower back. My biggest issue with Mabthera is the side effects! The chills are so uncomfortable it's unbearable! I can't stand feeling cold right into the bones! . I don't know what to do cos I can't even work because I get so so cold while I sweat!"

TumiKay December 22, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I was diagnosed with juvenile arthritis as well as vasculitis when I was 5. I'm 38 now and still move remarkably well. I've had my ups and downs through the years but these disease modifying drugs are miracles. I've been on Rituxan for 4 years now. My infusions do take longer than usual since I do experience a cold sweat trembling reaction if the medicine is stepped up to fast. Actually I find the pretreatment meds more difficult than the Rituxan. The benadryl puts me to sleep for most of it, however the medrol makes me bounce off the walls later in the evening. Usually by the next day all is well. I can live 8 months to a year virtually arthritis free"

Luke (Skywalker) (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 15, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Rituxan (rituximab) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I had my first round 6 months ago sitting here starting my 2nd round as we speak. No side effects and even though my joints are still swollen I feel so much better. My dr is hopeful that this round will help with the inflammation. I'll get my 2nd dose with this round in 2 weeks!! I'm hopeful and thankful"

Beck beck November 14, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Receiving my first infusion in two weeks time, I'm a tad nervous! Will update."

Itsmygnt October 25, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "This will probably only be relevant in the UK. Insurance not relevant. I have been on Rituximab for over three years, I find it works very well with negligible side effects. I've had treatments twice a year, but on asking for my next treatment I was told that because of new funding rules, I can't have it unless I am on methotrexate too. I took oral MTX for 10yrs until I developed liver enzymes in blood and severe fatigue. I was offered self administered injections which "have fewer side effects". But I became very unwell with each successive jab. I had to stop them. I am now not on any anti TNF drugs and my health is failing rapidly. My GP is very helpful and is trying to sort this out. Why no provision for people who react badly to MTX"

Shelleyboots (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 22, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I completed my second set of Rituxan infusions two months ago. Some success after the first set and much more success after the second set. I have more energy, less flare-ups, sleep much better, navigate better and feel much better overall. I've had no side effects, either during or after the infusions. I still have pain and lack of function in my hands, arms, and shoulders, however nothing like I experienced before infusions. I was diagnosed with RA six years ago and have taken taken and stopped Methotrexate (intolerance) and Plaquenil (repeating vision testing due to irregularities). I've been on Arava for two years with no side effects. My vector score was 45 and is now down to 33. Thank you Rituxan!!!"

Mare022444 October 21, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I had my first rituximab infusion treatment a year ago and think it worked well.. But I've felt symptoms coming back for a while now but after a year just had my second treatment, I'm in tomo for my second infusion and hope to god it works because I'm in a bad way and my pain in my wrist are at the worst I've known them to be! Tiredness never really ever gone for long but fingers crossed! I feel I should have it months ago but what do I know... I'm from Nottingham England"

Helen b October 13, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "This is my second infusion and I am feeling quite nauseous and head aching but know this will pass had an extremely bad headache last night but the relief from the pain has been incredible. Have been on Enbrel cimzia sllalazapirin plaquenil arava am still on prednisone and methotrexate as well as Celebrex but the relief I have had since having my first infusion is like a dream come true I had results within the first few days so there is hope out there .... I can walk a lot easier can actually use my hands which was just so painful... My life is back...don't give up"

Bundy girl September 10, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I'm in the UK so the questions regarding insurance & costs do not apply. Following dmard and latterly anti-TNF treatment's loss of efficacy, Rituximab was prescribed. After the first course it took four months to work, but when it did, I felt day and night different! My flares returned within 4 months and a 2nd course was given 8 months after the first. Rheumy established that my disease activity was such that I needed 6 monthly interval treatments and I have just completed my fourth treatment. Side effects: nothing during, but almost immediately post-infusion, I'm wiped out (heavy!!), restless and get a headache. Goes within 3 days or so. Rituximab works perfectly for me - no flares now the treatment is regular."

Stuart.G (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 7, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Wegener's Granulomatosis: "Retuximab is a great success for me, given me back my health. No side effects whatsoever during or since infusions. My only symptom of WG/GPA was aggressively recurring subglottic stenosis. Retuximab brought it under control within 12 weeks. I'm now symptom free & no longer need tracheal dilation surgery every 3 months. I had my first 1 gram infusion 13 months ago & 1g on day 14. I repeated the same doses Retuximab at 12 months. Immunosuppression has not caused any ill effects. I take low dose antibiotic cotrimoxazole continuously, (& probiotic for gut health). I've had no infections. I initially took 20mg prednisone tapered to 0 over 8 weeks, no steroids since. Retuximab spared me from other aggressive meds. Infusions are easy for me. ☺"

Gondy Omron (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 7, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bullous Pemphigoid: "I had 2 infusions in June, 2 weeks apart. Had a severe reaction with the first infusion and a mild reaction with the second infusion. Have not noticed any changes in my condition. I've read it might take up to 3 months to see the effects of rituximab. Am still taking azathioprine, prednisone and doxycycline to manage symptoms."

Photodancer (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 27, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I had been taking Rutuxin which work great. My insurance paid for some and the maker of rituxan paid the rest it was great,but when I turned 65 years old the Medicare was the only one paying and I had to come up with $592.00which was high for me cause I'm retired and I make less money. So I stop taking it. That was the biggest mistake I made. I could not function R.A. is not only about the pain I had no strength in my hands I could bath comb my hair get dressed by myself. I tried so many different meds didn't work. I then decided I needed to find a way to pay for the medication so I went back to taking rituxan. So far it's a lot better than I have been but I still have my four weeks isn't up so I'm hopful"

Anonymous July 15, 2016