User Reviews for Rituximab

Also known as: Rituxan

Learn more about Rituximab.

Rituximab Rating Summary

7.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 377 medications used in the treatment of Rheumatoid Arthritis.

Reviews for Rituximab to treat Rheumatoid Arthritis

"It does seem to improve the pains in the joints but not that much in my lower back. My biggest issue with Mabthera is the side effects! The chills are so uncomfortable it's unbearable! I can't stand feeling cold right into the bones! . I don't know what to do cos I can't even work because I get so so cold while I sweat!"

TumiKay December 22, 2016

"I was diagnosed with juvenile arthritis as well as vasculitis when I was 5. I'm 38 now and still move remarkably well. I've had my ups and downs through the years but these disease modifying drugs are miracles. I've been on Rituxan for 4 years now. My infusions do take longer than usual since I do experience a cold sweat trembling reaction if the medicine is stepped up to fast. Actually I find the pretreatment meds more difficult than the Rituxan. The benadryl puts me to sleep for most of it, however the medrol makes me bounce off the walls later in the evening. Usually by the next day all is well. I can live 8 months to a year virtually arthritis free"

Luke (Skywalker) (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 15, 2016

Rituxan (rituximab): "I had my first round 6 months ago sitting here starting my 2nd round as we speak. No side effects and even though my joints are still swollen I feel so much better. My dr is hopeful that this round will help with the inflammation. I'll get my 2nd dose with this round in 2 weeks!! I'm hopeful and thankful"

Beck beck November 14, 2016

"Receiving my first infusion in two weeks time, I'm a tad nervous! Will update."

Itsmygnt October 25, 2016

"This will probably only be relevant in the UK. Insurance not relevant. I have been on Rituximab for over three years, I find it works very well with negligible side effects. I've had treatments twice a year, but on asking for my next treatment I was told that because of new funding rules, I can't have it unless I am on methotrexate too. I took oral MTX for 10yrs until I developed liver enzymes in blood and severe fatigue. I was offered self administered injections which "have fewer side effects". But I became very unwell with each successive jab. I had to stop them. I am now not on any anti TNF drugs and my health is failing rapidly. My GP is very helpful and is trying to sort this out. Why no provision for people who react badly to MTX"

Shelleyboots (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 22, 2016

"I completed my second set of Rituxan infusions two months ago. Some success after the first set and much more success after the second set. I have more energy, less flare-ups, sleep much better, navigate better and feel much better overall. I've had no side effects, either during or after the infusions. I still have pain and lack of function in my hands, arms, and shoulders, however nothing like I experienced before infusions. I was diagnosed with RA six years ago and have taken taken and stopped Methotrexate (intolerance) and Plaquenil (repeating vision testing due to irregularities). I've been on Arava for two years with no side effects. My vector score was 45 and is now down to 33. Thank you Rituxan!!!"

Mare022444 October 21, 2016

"I had my first rituximab infusion treatment a year ago and think it worked well.. But I've felt symptoms coming back for a while now but after a year just had my second treatment, I'm in tomo for my second infusion and hope to god it works because I'm in a bad way and my pain in my wrist are at the worst I've known them to be! Tiredness never really ever gone for long but fingers crossed! I feel I should have it months ago but what do I know... I'm from Nottingham England"

Helen b October 13, 2016

"This is my second infusion and I am feeling quite nauseous and head aching but know this will pass had an extremely bad headache last night but the relief from the pain has been incredible. Have been on Enbrel cimzia sllalazapirin plaquenil arava am still on prednisone and methotrexate as well as Celebrex but the relief I have had since having my first infusion is like a dream come true I had results within the first few days so there is hope out there .... I can walk a lot easier can actually use my hands which was just so painful... My life is back...don't give up"

Bundy girl September 10, 2016

"I'm in the UK so the questions regarding insurance & costs do not apply. Following dmard and latterly anti-TNF treatment's loss of efficacy, Rituximab was prescribed. After the first course it took four months to work, but when it did, I felt day and night different! My flares returned within 4 months and a 2nd course was given 8 months after the first. Rheumy established that my disease activity was such that I needed 6 monthly interval treatments and I have just completed my fourth treatment. Side effects: nothing during, but almost immediately post-infusion, I'm wiped out (heavy!!), restless and get a headache. Goes within 3 days or so. Rituximab works perfectly for me - no flares now the treatment is regular."

Stuart.G (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 7, 2016

"I had been taking Rutuxin which work great. My insurance paid for some and the maker of rituxan paid the rest it was great,but when I turned 65 years old the Medicare was the only one paying and I had to come up with $592.00which was high for me cause I'm retired and I make less money. So I stop taking it. That was the biggest mistake I made. I could not function R.A. is not only about the pain I had no strength in my hands I could bath comb my hair get dressed by myself. I tried so many different meds didn't work. I then decided I needed to find a way to pay for the medication so I went back to taking rituxan. So far it's a lot better than I have been but I still have my four weeks isn't up so I'm hopful"

Anonymous July 15, 2016

"I was diagnosed with RA in 1998 and have been on most of the drugs available. Enbrel worked great for 6 years then it just stopped. Since then nothing has worked . I had my first infusion of Rituxan 3 weeks ago and we had to stop infusion due to itching in ears and throat, pushed more steroids and waited about an hour before restarting with slower and diluted drip. Had 2nd infusion last week with no reaction during Infusion I take methotrexate by injection as well and have noticed no new side effects. Just fatigued for a 4/5 days after infusions and always the day after methotrexate. Dr said to give it 3 to 6 months to begin working. So I will wait with lots of hope!"

Eeyore06 July 8, 2016

"Diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis in 1997. Failed Enbrel and Humira with hives, itching. Tried Orencia but their patient program and delivering meds was a huge disappointment (IV med only available at the time). MTX caused my liver enzymes to go nuts. Started Rituxan in 2009. My results were atypical. Rituxan is my liquid gold with a platinum price tag! A few weeks after my 2nd infusion, I felt incredible. I started running and biking. I lost 83 lbs in 4 months. I went from 235lbs of prednisone, sedentary and having 3 kids increased weight to a healthy 152lbs. I wasnt fatigued. For the first time in 19 years I was in remission while not pregnant. Not for everybody, but great for me."

Minagarie June 4, 2016

"Took my first dose of Rituxan in Dec 2014 and then 2 weeks later. I was diagnosed with RA in 2000. Took Mtx and Arava - had no disabilities . Didn't like the Mtx made my hair thin and fall out. Was placed on Sulfasazine and took that for 12 years. I had Hodgkins Lymphoma in 2005 and treated and went into remission. About four years ago my rheumatoid arthritis pain and suffering really kicked in and really took over over my hands and my feet. My new rheumatologist prescribe Rituxan for me. My first dose was in 2014 as I explained. My next dose was in December 2015. I did not feel its effects for about four months. I feel like a new person. A little side effect with each infusion-internal itching ears. Try it."

LJra May 29, 2016

"I am sat having my 10th cycle, 1st infusion of rituximab. Sleepy while having infusions otherwise no side effects. Previously I could not walk or look after myself. I had no quality of life. Now enjoying life with a little help. My rheumatoid hasn't gone completely but is more manageable to deal with. Not pain, or inflammation free but much better than I was. I know the side effects can sound very scary but discuss this with your consultant or specialist nurse. They are very helpful, very informative and understanding. They do not know the long term side effects of this drug but more importantly I can now live a life as before I was just existing. Try not to be daunted, ask, ask, ask and don't be afraid to try new drugs they might help"

Creaky joints (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 20, 2016

"Yesterday- 5th course Rituximab Infusions.2016 Last 18months ago, I thought I was in remission. Despite a complete removal of processed foods and a very healthy diet and exercise 'plan' (self motivated) I had a big flare up. I have refused Methotrexate for 2.5yrs having tried for 3yrs. I'm happier +healthier. The 1st ever infusion was stopped due to allergic reaction in throat, mouth + rash face+chest. But, Piriton was given +infusion continued. Piriton is now given to everyone now(UK chester), before infusion +advise to take to combat further reactions rash, sore throat etc for 3 days after. This works. I feel washed out,headache3-6days.steroid shakes, lack of sleep, flushes but no ill effects between courses 7months apart."

Heather7UK May 19, 2016

"I am waiting to get final approval for this drug. I spoke to a lady who has been on it for 4 years and she said that it takes a few days to get over an infusion but its just a headache and tiredness. She says this drug has given her life back so a small price to pay. Can't wait to get this drug!"

Sherry777 April 19, 2016

"After each of my rituxan infusuion I feel nauseated, extremely tired, and headache for anywhere 5 days to week. Is that normal? Works great for RA though so definitely worth it!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 16, 2016

"I have Undifferentiated Spondyloarthropathy, MCTD & SLE. I started Rituxan at the end of December 2015 after Enbrel lost efficacy. I am also on MTX & Plaquenil. My rheum explained that Rituxan works in a different manner from the TNF inhibitors and because of this it takes longer to work. While I began noticing Enbrel's efficacy within 2 weeks and was in remission by 3 months, with Rituxan I didn't even notice any difference until about 10 weeks in. I have slowly improved, but I am not in remission. Prior to Rituxan most of my joints were painful; after 14 weeks I am down to about 15. My daily pain level has gone from about an 8 to 4 or 5. My rheum said sometimes patients will see a better response after dose #4. I hope for remission. I will redose in 6 months following the RA guidelines."

Eva's Mom (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 12, 2016

"Had two infusions of Rituximab in January 2016 some relief was on Enbrel for 9 years it was fantastic, but stopped working, unfortunately I have now got Atrial Fibrulation from Rituximab, don' know where to go from here. Have had Rh since childhood."

Sharnatta March 14, 2016

"Had my first infusion yesterday. It as to stopped just after an hour and a half due a rash that developed on face and spread to my chest and back and severe itching. Dr's took the decision to stop the treatment altogether. Waiting to my rheumatologist next week to look at options. Have had to stop methotrexate, enbrel and humira doe died effects. Not sure what is left! At 4:40am and I ave been up since 2 am with severe itching. The joys of this lovely disease ad the side effects f the meds. But can't fault the medical team for their support and efforts"

Ginster0212 February 6, 2016

"Hi , I'm still waiting for this drug to really kick in, had infusions September 2015, not yet as well as I was on Embrel, but had to change due to new rheumo team. Not impressed really- lots of infections, got to the point of wheelchair use in December, previous to Sept never required a stick, Very slowly starting to regain life- possibly am near 40% of the real me. I'm not at work, not driving, am worried for my job, It's been 19 weeks since the treatment and I want my life back."

nannamaz. (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 19, 2016

"I had my first infusion on 12/21/15 and the second on 12/31/16. To date I have seen no improvement in pain. The only side affect from the first infusion was a severe headache and tiredness for 2-3 days. I have not been so fortunate with 2nd. I have no energy or appetite and feel terrible. I am shaky and dizzy and joint pain is horrible. I was on Remicade and Humira for years without complication. Not sure this is worth it or if it is going to work for me. Still hopeful."

Lindaje1950 January 15, 2016

"I am 55 year old male that has been diagnosed with RA. I've been on rituxan now for 6 years. Through trial and error it lasted me effectively for one year. By choice I stopped taking methotrexate that they said should accompany with the rituxan about the same time I started infusions. My reasons being reading the possible side effects from methotrexate to ones liver. This drug has been a life saver for me from sleepless nights from chronic pain and not being able to walk or even go to work. I have to say it's really giving my life back to me. I've also learned not to ever let this drug wear off because it's at least for me like jumping off a cliff. The pain comes back so fast its unbearable."

Dalooch January 10, 2016

"I was diagnosed with RA in 2006, my profession was heavy bridge construction, inside 2 years while being treated with all the major RA drugs the bottom line was my being confined to a wheelchair by 2008 and the realization that the word invalid is a messed up word. I got my first infusion of Rituxan and asked how long before I would see results, if any, and was told 3 to 4 weeks, 3 days later I was walking! Rituxan has saved my life! Most if not all issues I have now are from the havoc the RA caused previously. Rituxan has proven to be a miracle cure for me although it is very expensive."

Mickacree December 14, 2015

"Diagnosed with RA March 2014. Disease fast tracked through me and rendered me unable to walk by April 2015. Have had all oral DMRADs plus Enbrel which made no difference. I was suffering immense pain and could barely leave the house. Had first Rituximab infusion Sept 2015 second 2 weeks later. Zero side effects. It has taken 10 weeks for me to feel any effect but I am now walking unaided and feel so much better. I can drive, have a bath and live a normal life again. I live in Scotland and my drugs are paid for by our NHS. I have great support from the entire Rheumatology team since being diagnosed."

Chezis (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 29, 2015