Does hydroxychloroquine cause emotional lability?
Medically reviewed by Melisa Puckey, BPharm. Last updated on May 20, 2020.
One of the side effects of hydroxychloroquine is that it can cause changes in emotional lability.
Emotional lability means a person may have sudden and exaggerated changes in mood, with poorly controlled strong emotions that may include anger, dysphoria, sadness, or euphoria.
Other psychiatric or nervous system side effects include nervousness, irritability, nightmares, psychosis and suicidal behaviour.
What is hydroxychloroquine used for?
Hydroxychloroquine is used to treat rheumatoid arthritis, discord or systemic lupus erythematosus and used to treat or prevent malaria.
Is hydroxychloroquine used to treat COVID-19?
Hydroxychloroquine has not been approved to treat coronavirus or COVID-19. The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has instead has issued an emergency use authorization (EUAs) for hydroxychloroquine in adults and adolescents weighing at least 110 pounds (50 kilograms) who are hospitalized with COVID-19.
Hydroxychloroquine use in COVID-19 is still experimental and it is not known if it is safe or effective.
Related Medical Questions
- Can you take Ibuprofen if you have COVID-19 (coronavirus)?
- Can Ivermectin be used to treat COVID-19 (coronavirus)?
- What antibiotics kill Covid-19 (coronavirus)?
- Does Zinc protect you from Covid-19 or boost your immune system?
- What's the difference between Bacteria and Viruses?
- Where can I buy an at-home test kit for COVID-19 (coronavirus)?
- How do COVID-19 symptoms progress and what causes death?
- Does Losartan block the receptor used by the Coronavirus?
- Can vitamin C prevent or treat COVID-19 (coronavirus)?
- An Update: Is hydroxychloroquine effective for COVID-19?
- Does Tamiflu (oseltamivir) work on COVID-19?
- Which breathing techniques help with COVID-19?
- Does the BCG vaccine for TB help with COVID-19 (coronavirus)?
- Do ACE inhibitors make COVID-19 worse?
- Can Colchicine be used to treat COVID-19 (coronavirus)?
- Hydroxychloroquine Information for Consumers
- Hydroxychloroquine Information for Healthcare Professionals (includes dosage details)
- Side Effects of Hydroxychloroquine (detailed)