User Reviews for Plaquenil

Undifferentiated Con...e Tissue Disease
4.7

Summary of Plaquenil reviews 7.1 110 reviews

Reviews for Plaquenil

For Rheumatoid Arthritis "When first diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis (RA) plaquinel worked after a couple weeks. I was in remission soI stopped but Dr upset as he said it was important to keep damage to joints down. Anyway the RA flared and I'm back taking one a day. Hoping to feel better again but seems slow. Not sure if it is due to generic that I'm receiving. Also, please get eye checkups. Had a scare but it is fine. This drug has less side effects than others! Good luck."

Glen88 (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 19, 2019

For Rheumatoid Arthritis "Have been on Plaquenil since 2012 and my hair is falling out by the hand full. The doctor says it's not the medicine but I know it is."

Evonne January 18, 2019

For Systemic Lupus Erythematosus "Plaquenil Users Beware: Drug can make you completely blind: re: toxic maculopathy I took Plaquenil for over 13 years. One retina specialist said because of the toxic maculopathy it caused. *even if you quit taking the drug, it can continue to damage the eye until blindness occurs. If you are taking it, make sure your physician is using the NEW guidelines on treatment ==I think it is no more than 5 milligrams per kilogram If you have ANY changes in your vision, friends, head to a retinal specialist--1 test I had an angiogram done. Are there any support groups or experimental therapies for toxic maculopathy? I found EyePromise Restore Vitamins that I take for retina health my Dr. says will help "

amandafromneworleans January 13, 2019

For Rheumatoid Arthritis "Used plaquenil for 6 weeks until I developed a terrible full-body rash. It was working for the inflammation and pain very well until the rash"

mamabear (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 12, 2018

For Rheumatoid Arthritis "I've been on a roller coaster for yrs w/Plaquenil for RA/Lupus. I take name brand to prevent side effects of red, warm, swollen, painful hands + nausea/dizziness, hair loss, etc. Each time I try going back to generic, side effects return immediately. I'm not one to comment but I read so many reviews that sounded like either my ups or downs, so I want to encourage ppl to stick w/this med & try name brand (though expensive) if having bad side effects w/generic. It could explain why some ppl have such opposite experiences. I get Plaquenil from international pharm & it's much cheaper. It works better than biologics that contributed to/sped up process leading to my cancer. I'm now "cancer-free" & refuse to go back on them. I might have to get vision checked & deal w/other mild side effects, but pain/swelling is gone on Plaquenil. Anyway, pls hang in there & give your body enough time to adjust to med before stopping it. It's a risk vs. reward scenario w/meds."

Holly November 13, 2018

For Dermatomyositis "I have dermatomyositis and have been taken Prednisone and Plaquenil. At first the combo was helping with the muscle pain and rash. After 2 wks on the Plaquenil I got a sunburn itchy rash all over my body. I also have bruise/like spots where the old rash was."

cajunlady (taken for less than 1 month) October 18, 2018

For Rheumatoid Arthritis "When first diagnosed 3 yrs ago, my rheumy wanted to try Plaquenil first. He did tell me that some people develop allergies to the drug. Sure enough, three months in I developed hives all over my body. Had to stop the drug. Now I have Kenalog injections every 5-6 months which have worked well for me. No side effects and I am returned to my pre-RA self. Plaquenil is a great treatment for many; just not for me. Every person's physiology is different. My GP has also been researching some older drugs that he thinks were back-burnered due to new biologics. I'm researching as well."

Autumn (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 16, 2018

For Rheumatoid Arthritis "I tried this med for mild to moderate rhuematoid arthritis and after a few days of stomach aches I started getting severe stomach pain that had me doubled over. I realized it had begun when I started taking the Plaquenil. I called my dr and we agreed I should not be taking it. Less than 24 hours later my pain was gone. Not for me! Never again... it was a terrible experience!"

kat (taken for less than 1 month) October 1, 2018

For Sjogren's Syndrome "Did not help me. It gave me nightmares."

Godfrey (taken for 10 years or more) September 1, 2018

"I have been on plaquenil for two years for psoriatic arthritis. I have severe sacroiliac disease and wrist and fingers involved. It has been miraculous. Maybe I am a rare guy but it worked within days. Whenever I came off it travelling to a sunny destination or to try only an anti inflammatory for a flare or even a steroid injection things were bad until I restarted plaquenil. Then it was like a switch boom. Better. Each day ten per cent better. I read there are anti inflammatory properties. I must have lucked out. This is too good an improvement to put it on placebo effect. Plus that's not me - I am a sceptical family doctor !!! Definitely worth a first try before methotrexate or biologics."

Gattisdoc August 17, 2018

For Rheumatoid Arthritis "It is working for me."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 13, 2018

For Rheumatoid Arthritis "I started on plaquenil for Psoriatic Arthritis in 2015. (200mg twice daily). I didn’t feel too bad but a huge bout of stress made my symptoms worse. I then started methotrexate in addition to plaquenil. My rheumatologist suggested once daily Plaquenil and that seemed okay. After a while he said I coujd stop it as he was not sure if it was working. I tapered off the dose and I slowly began feeling dreadful. The fatigue was awful and I had weird signs akin to severe fibro. I then started back on twice daily plaquenil. Within two weeks I began to feel more human and six months later the fatigue is greatly improved. The small joints in my hand and my wrists are less sore: still painful but improved. I can do more now and feel like doing more. I still have some bad fatigue days and the rheumatologist is still talking about biologicals but for the moment I’m happy to see how I go. None of these drugs are perfect but at this stage plaquenil is really helping me."

Amber2 (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 23, 2018

For Rheumatoid Arthritis "Well I posted once before, figured I would give another update for anyone who cares. It's been around 2 years now and I'm glad to say all side effects are long gone. So is my pain for the most part. Sometimes I forget I was even diagnosed with RA (Palindromic Rheumatism). Every once in awhile I will have a flare, my last one was in October of last year 2017, it is now Feb 2018 and still flare free. I've been seeing gaps of 6+ months without any pain. You can see why it's easy to forget lol. Again, this drug is worth it. It seems almost like a dream waking up and not being able to move, a horrible dream."

Enz (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 15, 2018

For Rheumatoid Arthritis "I've been using Plaquenil 3 months. It has helped my RA pain subside a lot. While my Rheumatologist says I'm in the beginning stages of RA, she nonetheless put me on the Plaquenil. However, my hair is falling out rapidly so I have weened myself off of it and will never use it again."

Diane Schumacher (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 13, 2018

For Undifferentiated Connective Tissue Disease "I've been on and off Plaquenil for 13 years for Undifferentiated connective tissue disease (UCTD). I have NEVER had a flare while on plaq. The only times I've had flares was when I stupidly stopped taking plaq. That is a mistake I will never make again, after a life threatening flare in 2015. Now I am on plaquenil for life, and 100 % in remission. This drug has been absolutely amazing for me. I guess it just depends on individual body chemistry, but I love this drug so very, very much. Now, honestly, you have to give it 3-6 months to fully take effect, and it can cause GI upset and other side effects at first. You just have to tough it out and be strong-minded. Plaq is a game changer for many UCTD patients but you need to be tough and patient!! Don't skip doses."

LGFr (taken for 10 years or more) December 24, 2017

For Rheumatoid Arthritis "I have been on Plaquenil for about 15 years without apparent side effects until this year. But this year I have developed severe swelling of the face and red rash on the upper half of my face. This also includes very difficult itching in odd places on my body, my eyebrows and eyelashes, my earlobes, my lower legs and lower arms, my scalp and of course where the red rash was. This was twice cleared up with heavy doses of antibiotics and Cortisone. However my rheumatologist took me off all arthritis drugs and we added them back little by little. When plaquenil was finally included with the other drugs again, it took about three days and my My face started swelling and the rash and and itching. I can only assume that this was the cause of my allergic reaction, even after all the years of use."

C Wife December 9, 2017

For Rheumatoid Arthritis "I am a 72 year old female, diagnosed with RA 6 years ago. I took Plaquenil (200x2) from 2012-2016, along with Prednisone to start. Due to the fact, I could not use my hands because of the swelling, I risked the possible vision problems. By 2012, symptom free and still fearful of vision loss, I stopped the drug. I was pain and symptom free for one year, but now symptoms have returned, and I have been told to restart the drug(no prednisone.) In the 4 years taking it, I went from 95 lbs. to 85 lbs., lost a significant amount of hair, had cataract surgery and, now, macular degeneration. The decision to restart is extremely emotionally stressful, weighing the benefits against the risk. (Dr. says neither eye problem was caused by the drug"

Backside of 70 November 4, 2017

For Rheumatoid Arthritis "I primarily treat my RA with CBD paste. While it does pretty good alone, my doctor suggested that Plaquenil might zero out the rest of my symptoms. Even though I have a fairly severe case of RA, the CBD Paste manages about 80% of the disease. But I've been taking the Plaquenil about 3 weeks, and honestly, I think I have more swelling. I've decided to stop for now and am wondering if Plaquenil can actually make the symptoms worse?"

RA treatment October 6, 2017

For Systemic Lupus Erythematosus "I've been taking this medicine for 4 days. I have not experienced any negative side effects yet. No nausea or jittery feelings like others I've read about. Since starting this medicine I've noticed I've slept like a rock. No waking up at all and no problems falling asleep. I just felt I should share this observation since I was terrified to start after reading all these horror stories. Not everyone is negatively affected."

ShellyBeans333 (taken for less than 1 month) September 3, 2017

For Rheumatoid Arthritis "I am still trying to figure out what this drug is suppose to do cause I still get the soreness in the joints and the swelling especially in the shoulders and hands some nites its hard to sleep unless I take something for the pain in both"

spunkies (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 27, 2017

For Systemic Lupus Erythematosus "I'm in Australia , only just started this medication a week ago but I feel a less fatigued already. I was stuck in bed most days, but now I can go longer without needing to go to bed or feeling like I'm going to collapse. I haven't noticed any bad side effects yet either which is good! As I get nauseated and dizzy on meds easily and haven't found that to be the case! I just wanted to point out that some people hear a lot of bad things that aren't necessarily reported or true. Like I noticed a woman on here said she needs to stop taking it because of the tinnitus side effect means she might go deaf. But deafness hasn't been reported, just tinnitus as a side effect whilst taking it. Don't be so afraid if it's going to give u your life back"

Cass888 (taken for less than 1 month) August 27, 2017

For Undifferentiated Connective Tissue Disease "I took this medication for only 3 weeks for Mixed Connective Tissue Disease. (Diagnosed 15 years ago, medication free for the last 11years). My only active symptom at the time was Raynaud's. I really did not want to take any medication, and felt that improving my lifestyle/keeping warm was worth a try, but my (new) rheumatologist pushed it and said he would discharge me if I didn't take it. All my other tests (lung function, heart scan, bloods) were fine. What a mistake. It did not help my Raynaud's, but did cause huge hives from my neck to my ankle. My last dose was May 25th, it is now August 9th and these unsightly hives continue to come and go. With such a long half life (up to 50 days) it will take over 18 months to fully eliminate it"

LucyDJ (taken for less than 1 month) August 9, 2017

For Rheumatoid Arthritis "Haven't taken this. Just wanted to read some feedback. I was on methotrexate, but stopped, because it gave me chills, fatigue and shortness of breath, I even fainted at work. The doctor suggested Plaquenil as a possible alternative, but after reading some of the comments, I don't think so. This is really frustrating and sad. The FDA should NOT be approving these crappy drugs which can cause worse problems than the one you have. I honestly don't know what to do, let the RA turn me into a cripple or take my chances with one of these death drugs?"

Darkchief99 June 6, 2017

For Rheumatoid Arthritis "Love this drug, compared to the others. I am 55 now, and first took it 30 years ago. My RA then came on lightening fast, nodules and all. I went from totally normal to almost wheel chair in weeks. The weight of a bed sheet on my toes was too much. Two plaquenil a day and 2400 mg of ibuprofen a day ( that's 12 regular dose!) and I went into total remission. Of course my stomach is crap now. After 25 years of remission, the RA returned. Different now that I'm older (55), more subtle. Chose plaquenil again, and working wonders, but for my permanent damage. Get your eyes checked, a must. Some hair will fall out, but hey, I'm glad I still have some to fall out. WEIRD dreams. Irritability. Will lose weight! TAKE WITH FOOD to avoid cramps."

RichEsq April 13, 2017

For Rheumatoid Arthritis "I've been on Plaquenil for over 3 months now. It works wonderfully! I combine my treatment with Curcumin & Magnesium baths and I feel like a new woman :-) Side effects I experienced: Nausea & dizziness for the first week or two (I found I needed to take it after a full meal to prevent the nausea). I have also noticed since starting the Plaquenil I seem to sweat profusely. It's annoying, but the benefits far outweigh this little problem. I just wear my gym gear about now... which I did mostly beforehand anyhow :-) Also, it take take a couple months for the Plaquenil to kick in & for me to feel the effects! Don't give up, just give it some time."

KittensAussiePrincess March 26, 2017