User Reviews for Plaquenil

Learn more about Plaquenil.

Lyme Disease, Arthritis 3 reviews 35 medications

Undifferentiated Con...e Tissue Disease 7 reviews 2 medications

4.7
Summary of Plaquenil reviews 82 reviews 7.6

Reviews for Plaquenil

For Sjogren's Syndrome "I have been on Plaquenil for several years , first the generic Plaqenil has no coating to protect your stomach lining. If you have side affects first try brand . I know Dr. s Say there is no difference ."But" composition of the drug may not affect the effectiveness of drug but it will affect the way it is absorbed in your system. Which will affect your side affects."

Babycakes1949 (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 9, 2016

For Rheumatoid Arthritis "I've been on this drug since 2003. Before meds, I was so sick with RA symptoms. Spent 19 hours a day in bed, couldn't dress or bath myself. Seldom ate. Doctor put me on 200 mg. plaquenil twice daily and 10 mg. prednisone and I got my life back. I've since drop prednisone and am down to 200 mg. once daily plaquenil. About to go on the generic form of plaquenil. A little concerned. Is the quality the same? My specialist said no. RA drugs are so scary. I've had friends die on biologics--and some go blind. My advice as geezergirl. When you find out what works for you, hold on tight to it."

geezergirl September 5, 2016

For Rheumatoid Arthritis "I started on Plaquenil for RA about two months ago so my experiences are fresh. I'm a large male at 6'2 250 pnd 30 years old. When I was diagnosed with RA I didn't know what to expect. I was quickly referred to a Rheumatologist who recommended this drug. The first three weeks I was having some side effects. Nose bleeds, ringing in my ears. But after the fourth week they just disappeared. As well as the excruciating pain in my feet, knee's and hands. It just poof like it never happened. I'm optimistic about now my third month as it has now been three months since my last flare up. It was too late for my feet, which now have permanent damage, but I can now walk and wear shoes almost perfectly normally."

Enz (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 25, 2016

For Undifferentiated Connective Tissue Disease "I did not have any adverse effects as such on starting this medication except mild skin rash, have been on it for about 4 years. Have been relatively okay but what produced a dramatic improvement was an antiinflammatory , antitoxic diet with no artificial,packaged or canned foods, no sodas etc. accompanied by yoga and especially breathing exercises pranayama dIly 30-45 minutes which produce miraculous results over time."

CharlotteA1979 (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 20, 2016

For Rheumatoid Arthritis "I have been taking plaquenil for about 4 years 200 mg twice a day . I have been having severe stomach cramps and nausea and vomiting just now realized it's the plaquenil. Because I didn't take it for 3 days because of the n/v just took it again today and got so sick had to throw up. Now realized it's the plaquenil have been to gastro dr and have done all kind of test .will not be taking this med again my Ra is nothing as bad as n/v maybe this will help some one . Don't no what I will take for this Ra pain I feel so sorry for anyone who has this Ra was not diagnosed with this untill I was 65 years old."

Anonymous June 25, 2016

For Undifferentiated Connective Tissue Disease "I was on this medication for one day when I began to gave sereve vomiting 30 minutes after taking it and stomach bloating and uncontrollable gas. By day six I called my doctor to tell him I had bilateral muscle weakness in my legs and could hardly walk a straight line without feeling like I was going to fall down. My doctor stopped the medication after six days after I began to take it when I presented with a known severe adverse side effect of this medication " muscle weakness and loss of coordination""

Anonymous March 15, 2016

For Rheumatoid Arthritis "Helped with RA It has affected my vision immensely. So much, that I stopped taking it."

pattyannhorse March 2, 2016

For Rheumatoid Arthritis "I'm a 57 year old female that has just been diagnosed with RA about 6 weeks ago. My GP gave me Arthrotech to get me through until I could see the rheumatologist The Arthrotech made me sick, for every 4 pills I took, I threw one up. Went to specialist yesterday and he gave me Plaquenil - I've only taken it for 2 days so far (400 mg) daily but I'm feeling worse ( although the weather has changed - snow storm) I can't believe how painful this disease is. Does it get any better? Will I have a pain free normal life one day soon? I don't go back to the specialist until May but I can't imagine being in this much pain until at least May. I'm feeling so sorry for myself and cry because I'm tired cry because I'm sore. When will it start working?"

Sadiemybeagle March 2, 2016

For Rheumatoid Arthritis "I'm 18 and was told I have arthritis about 10 months ago Plaquenil worked after the first couple of weeks but one major side effect is Mouth Ulcers and at times I've been in so much pain with them I couldn't eat. But then the alternative one said it could make my hair fall out (and that is not an option at my age)"

Miss Johnston (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 1, 2016

For Rheumatoid Arthritis "I'm a 30 year old mother of 2. I have been taking plaquenil for about 2 years now. Initially it helped a great deal. I'm noticing my pain levels rising and now I've developed tinnitus. I'm told that plaquenil can cause permanent deafness. So I'm going to have to seek other options. Methotrexate is not an option due to the damage to my lungs pre diagnosis. I'm honestly scared about the cancer risks of other medications but now I don't have a choice."

Sewbizmom (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 22, 2016

For Systemic Lupus Erythematosus "I had only had a mild SLE flare about 30 years ago. I had plenty of the discoid lupus symptoms, but they were easily controlled with avoiding the sun and using sunscreens,especially in the last 20 years. I developed another auto-immune problem about 15 years ago.(gluten intolerance or or possible CD.) I ate the "gluten-free" Cheerios when they hit the shelves about 6 months ago, and almost killed myself, as they were not gluten free. This touched off a SLE flare of unbelievable proportions! Practically every joint in my body was hurting SO badly,and I had fever and fatigue and did not respond to NSAIDs. Placquenil has been my lifesaver! Adhering to an anti-inflammatory diet for a month helped, also. The price-worth it."

Barb-Also (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 23, 2016

For Rheumatoid Arthritis "I have been on Plaquenil since 1996 when I was diagnosed with RA. When I was diagnosed I was in severe pain, unable to hold my infant child or drive. My rheumatologist injected me with steroids to get me immediate relief and started me on Plaquenil. I don't remember my initial dosage but I take 200mg once per day and have been in remission since 1996 and I have had no side effects that I am aware of. I have regular eye exams and periodic screenings by a retinologist and my eyes have had no issues at all."

TJT1 January 22, 2016

127 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Rheumatoid Arthritis "I have been on Plaquenil for two months to treat newly diagnosed RA. The duration and intensity of the flares have been reduced, but I am still suffering with aches and swelling in my small joints and elbows. I have had mild nausea and am having my eyes monitored by my optometrist."

Science Teacher (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 13, 2015

For Rheumatoid Arthritis "Started Plaquenil 8 months ago-200mg 2x/day- to treat Psoriatic arthritis and sjogrens. Learned to NOT take it in the morning with my Meloxicam 15mg because of strong nausea. If I take one after a big lunch and one after dinner, I have no problems at all. Joints and hands, wrists are doing so much better. One worry is that I am too tired to do anything at all. If I do laundry, I sweat. If I cook dinner or rake the yard, I sweat. I seem to even have trouble sleeping on my side at night because of trouble getting enough air into my lungs. Weird, I know. I rated it an 8 because I do not feel sick after taking it and it does seem to work. The last but not least worry is heavy hair loss. I have thin and fine hair anyway, but it comes out like crazy"

langteach (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 28, 2015

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Rheumatoid Arthritis "This medication did wonders for my soreness and pain from Rheumatoid Arthritis but if someone would have told me I would have devastating and irreversible eye damage due to taking it, I would have chosen a different drug for sure (at least after the 5-7 year mark when it is known to cause major problems that will be with you for life!)"

cjgriff (taken for 10 years or more) October 27, 2015

82 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Systemic Lupus Erythematosus "I started this med as I have both RA and Systemic Lupus. It did nothing for me and we added Methotrexate, still no benefit. Added Enbrel, no better. My eyesight was beginning to fail so I stopped all of them. My weight ballooned up by 25lbs!! I have found no mainline meds to help and had to turn to Traditional Chinese Medicine for relief. Works great for me. I am still hoping to find something in the regular vein of meds to help and not hurt me. My insurance will not cover the help of the Traditional Chinese Medicine that is helping. What's up with that?"

CTT October 13, 2015

For Undifferentiated Connective Tissue Disease "I have been taking plaquenil for over 6 weeks to treat autoimmune hair loss. My hair and itchy scalp has not improved at all. In fact it was even worse for a few weeks. Now I'm getting sores all around my eyes with a cyst on my eyelid and an inflamed blood vessel. I called my rheumy today to ask for a switch. I'm very disappointed because it seemed like the best out of the bunch for side effects."

Amber4 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 15, 2015

For Rheumatoid Arthritis "I had Lyme disease and a subsequent RA dx, I have been on Plaquenil for 7 months. 200mg 2x a day and now 1x day, It has helped a great deal. I was also taking Collagen and a few herbs for inflammation, I am doing much much better and able to do a lot of things I thought I never would again, I have occasional stiffness but it's hardly an issue,,, On the downside, I do have bad nightmares, not all the time but they are something I am not happy about, Anecdotally, they may be correlated to Alcohol, I occasionally get nausea and headaches as well but the headaches are mild and only once a week or so. Fingers crossed that the side effects diminish and that this drug keeps on keeping on,,, I am 55 ...best to you all D"

Dante21 September 9, 2015

For Rheumatoid Arthritis "I live in Uk and having all treatment under the National Health Service. I have RA, fibromyalgia and osteoarthritis, blepharitis and interstitial lung disease ! Blimey I hear you say quite rightly. I say it every day. I take hydroxychloraquine in conjunction with methatrexate and etanercept and they seem to work well together. However since my methatrexate was reduced ( due to continual chest infections ) I have notice recurrance of swelling and pain has increased. I am now on 80 mg of morphine ( MST slow release ) x 2 per day and oramorph ( instant effect morphine ) for breakout pain. Docs told me that they know the three meds work in conjunction with each other but they don't know why ! Who cares - give me the drugs. Hope this helps."

unamatrix0 (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 29, 2015

For Sjogren's Syndrome "It also took ten years to diagnose correctly. At first I took 2- 200 mgs of Plaquenil and it gave me an irregular heartbeat. Discontinued for a few weeks, then rheumy asked me to try again, one 200 mgm every other day. After six weeks had improvement in CRP and sed rate, even though the doc didn't expect any improvement on that low dose. Then he increased me to one pill each day. It did increase my migraines so he said to take it before bedtime with anti-anxiety drug. Side effect.....sleeping much better.....wonderful side effect. Occasionally I have to take Tylenol during night if headache wakes me up. Now I realize my extreme dry mouth seems slightly improved. Joint pain and foot pain is much better. HAPPY!"

jjmcc367 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 3, 2015

For Rheumatoid Arthritis "I had very bad experiences with this medication . I now have permanent toxicity of my system and I also develop medically induced cataracts from this medication even though I have stopped taking the medication it will continue to try and rob me of my sight. eyes always swollen running very painful. every morning when I rise I look like a monster face full of fluid input all around my eyeslike a little Sacks of fluid. is there is help out there I would like some and I will like to know if there's a manufacturer lawsuit the information for this medication does not tell you about the damage that it does. now they are warning doctors to let patients know about this medication and the bad side effe and let them know if they want to take it."

cherired July 9, 2015

90 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Systemic Lupus Erythematosus "I first went on Plaquenil in 2004, due to unbearable finger and wrist joint pain for 5 months, which was diagnosed as Lupus (after a sky-high ANA test and some other tests and diagnoses). I was told it would take 3-ish weeks to kick in, and it did, right on schedule. Almost overnight, I went from not able to hold a soda can or open a door to being 100 % pain free. I was on Plaquenil for 4 years, during which time I was in complete remission, so in 2008 I discontinued it. In 2015 Lupus reared its ugly head again, this time with Pleurisy. Got back on Plaquenil and after the requisite waiting time, it got the problem under control (not 100%; maybe 50 %). I love Plaquenil but my advice to others is to be very patient and give it time to work."

LarryF June 11, 2015

For Sjogren's Syndrome "I have been on this medication for approximately 8 years. Before I started this medicine I was in terrible shape. With Sjogren's syndrome as my primary autoimmune disease and rheumatoid arthritis as my secondary autoimmune disease I was in terrible persistent pain, had terrible joint ache and was incapacitated for about four months before finally being diagnosed and given this. Along with steroids, this medicine, and some regular doses of ibuprofen I found I was able to be mobile again, to go back to work and have a quality life again. I have not found that being on the same the dosage has lessened it's effectiveness over the last 8. During major flares especially, it would be near impossible to have a good, healthy life."

SeattleN (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 21, 2015

For Rheumatoid Arthritis "I started this medication a week ago and have had very vivid dreams. I used to wake up with rib and hip pain/stiffness. I also couldn't relax and lay in bed because my body just felt restless. I would say that on day 2, I woke up almost completely relaxed and nearly no stiffness. I also started taking Celebrex on the same day, so I'm not sure if it's the combination of the two or one or the other, but I feel so much better. I am a 31 year old female and mom of a 1.5 year old."

Vet mom May 1, 2015

For Rheumatoid Arthritis "Feel so much better since being on Plaquenil since 2013. Always have reg eye tests. My inflammation level is only a 2 now and it was 39. Still feel a little tired now and then but I blame it on working 30 hrs a week. Hope this drug helps you too."

Mrs. S April 21, 2015