Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on May 5, 2022.
Important Administration Instructions
Administer PLAQUENIL orally with food or milk. Do not crush or divide the tablets.
Dosage for Malaria in Adult and Pediatric Patients
PLAQUENIL is not recommended in pediatric patients less than 31 kg because the lowest available strength (200 mg) exceeds the recommended dose for these patients and it cannot be divided.
Treatment must start 2 weeks before travel to an endemic area. Advise the patient to take the prophylaxis dosage once a week, staring 2 weeks prior to travel to the endemic area, on the same day every week, continuing the same weekly dose while in the endemic area, and for 4 weeks after leaving the endemic area. The recommended prophylaxis dosage is:
• Adult patients: 400 mg once a week
• Pediatric patients ≥ 31kg: 6.5 mg/kg actual body weight (up to 400 mg) once a week
Treatment of Uncomplicated Malaria
The dosages for the treatment of uncomplicated malaria are:
• Adult patients: Administer 800 mg initially; subsequently administer 400 mg at 6 hours, 24 hours, and 48 hours after the initial dose (total dosage = 2000 mg).
• Pediatric patients ≥ 31 kg: Administer 13 mg/kg (up to 800 mg) initially; subsequently administer 6.5 mg/kg (up to 400 mg) at 6 hours, 24 hours, and 48 hours after the initial dose (total dosage = 31 mg/kg - up to 2000 mg).
For radical cure of P. vivax and P. ovale infections, concomitant therapy with an 8-aminoquinoline drug is necessary [see Microbiology (12.4)].
Dosage for Rheumatoid Arthritis in Adults
The recommended dosage is:
• Initial dosage: 400 mg to 600 mg daily as a single daily dose or two divided doses. The action of hydroxychloroquine is cumulative and may require weeks to months for maximum therapeutic effect. Daily doses exceeding 5 mg/kg (actual weight) of hydroxychloroquine sulfate increase the incidence of retinopathy [see Warnings and Precautions (5.2)].
• Chronic dosage: 200 mg once daily to 400 mg daily, as a single dose or two divided doses.
Corticosteroids, salicylates, and other antirheumatic agents may be used concomitantly with PLAQUENIL.
Dosage for Systemic Lupus Erythematosus in Adults
The recommended dosage is 200 mg given once daily, or 400 mg given once daily or in two divided doses.
Frequently asked questions
- An Update: Is hydroxychloroquine effective for COVID-19?
- Does hydroxychloroquine cause emotional lability?
More about Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine)
- Side effects
- Drug interactions
- During pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Reviews (115)
- Compare alternatives
- Pricing & coupons
- Generic availability
- Drug class: antimalarial quinolines
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.