User Reviews for Arava

Rheumatoid Arthritis
6.4

Reviews for Arava

For mom · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 20, 2021

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: “My mother took this drug Arava and it completely changed her personality, it damaged her liver while already being in stage 3 kidney failure, from 42 plus years of being on medications for RA. She had weakness, shortness of breath, liver failure, and a lot of other issues. Took her to ER, she was admitted, 10 days later she died. The medication caused her liver to fail, was bad for her immune system and made her susceptible to an infection. She got sepsis while at the hospital and died. I honestly blame this medication for her death, she was on it for 18 months and it made everything worse.”

Mohammed · Taken for less than 1 month September 5, 2020

“I have taking Arava for one week for Psoriatic Arthritis and I have suffered from headache and high blood pressure within a week”

rocky · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 29, 2020

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: “Have been using Arava and Methotrexate for many years now doe RA. I take a Folic acid tablet with it, it has been very helpful and I have had no side effects. I seem to have had a flare up recently and not sure if it was from moving and doing a lot of the packing and unpacking . Trying Prednisone now , to see if it helps with the pain . If not my doctor wants to try Xeljanz XR .Not sure I want that , anyone out there with any help ?”

Tina G. P. March 6, 2014

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: “I've been on Arava for over 10 years now. At first (following the loading dose) I was taking 20 mg daily. I went from not being able to dress myself to being completely independent and relatively pain free. I do have fibromyalgia, so there has been some muscle pain with that. I lost quite a bit of hair at first, but that stopped. After 7 or 8 years I asked my doctor if I could try to taper down. I went from 20 mg daily to 20 mg every other day. I have mild psoriasis which flared when I cut back, but eventually it cleared up again. After a year, my doctor decreased it to 10 mg every other day. The psoriasis flared again, but is now gone and I am maintaining at 10 mg every other day and doing well.”

Middle Daughter · Taken for less than 1 month April 23, 2019

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: “My mom was diagnosed with RA in the spring of 2007 and experienced pulmonary fibrosis as a part of this disease. Arava was prescribed to treat her RA. Rather than minimize the symptoms of her disease, the Arava ignited the lung disease and she experienced what the doctors referred to as BOOP (Bronchial Obliterated Obstructive Pneumonia.) She lived three weeks from the time of diagnosis to her death. Please know that ARAVA can be a seriously dangerous drug for some people.”

GrannyK. · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 25, 2013

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: “I have been on Arava for 6 weeks and I also take 5mg of Prednisone. The medication has been extremely helpful in treating the swelling and soreness of the joints. I am now able to write, type, stir, laugh and I feel generally so much improvement, it's like getting my life back after several months of severe pain, swelling and stiffness.”

krismas85 January 24, 2013

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: “Was on Arava for a little over a year. The hair loss, pain from the hair loss, gastrointestinal problems, and the infections are just too much. My hair is so thin. I went to my doctor and had it stopped. I lost another 6lbs in 2 months and that is with the introduction of Ensure. I hope others have a better experience then what I did. I am 27 years old and everyday I felt life leaving me little by little.”

Trish44 January 14, 2017

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: “No way did this drug help me!!!!!! What it Did do was give me MS symptoms! Yes ! I went totally blind off and on during the day and had debilitating headaches to where all I did was lay n cry!!!!!! Warning the dr tells me I had MS I say no it's the drug! He says no and proceeds to send me to a nuerologist! He exams me and says no it's probably neuropathy! So here I go again being sent to yet another specialist! I was sent to a optomolgist and he says no your eyes are fine it has to be MS! I then go back to the rhuemotologist for him to say yes it's MS don't stop the drug! I went out on my own gut and Stopped the Arava and WHAT DO YOU KNOW--- MS SYMPTOMS DISSPPEARED ALMOST INSTANTLY! So please be aware these drugs will do more harm than good”

Gamermama · Taken for 10 years or more July 13, 2019

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: “I have been on Arava for over 15 years with no problems. Instead, it has been a gift from heaven. For a year I tried many meds to no avail. Then - Arava! It was a miracle. My joint inflammation went way down and pain much relieved. I am sorry for those who cannot take it. They talk about trying something g different and I say “no”. I'm sticking with Arava as long as it works.”

Tanker January 31, 2020

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: “I have dealt with severe RA for going on 16 years and just recently within 6 months was put on Arava. For me this has been a miracle drug, I feel I’m in full remission. So my treatment is Enbrel, Arava and Prednisone. If you are healthy other than having RA, give Arava a try!! God Bless All of You who deal with this Monster called Rheumatoid Arthritis”

Srs · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 13, 2020

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: “Arava has been brilliant for my RA. I've been on it for 1 1/2 years.. previously I was on methotrexate 27 mg a week for severe arthritis for 8.7 years which I came off as I found it hard to breathe. Only side effects I've had are tiredness which I can live with but none of the other side effects”

chocalate December 31, 2012

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: “I started taking Arava in Sep. 2012. Two months ago I noticed my hair was falling out in the shower, and now in December my hair is so thin you can see my scalp. I also have to blow my nose ay least twenty times a day. And now I am getting sores in my mouth. I am not sure if I want to stay on it.”

jen287 March 17, 2015

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: “I was unable to move around ...very stiff and sore. It was so bad I was considering using a cane to get around. Arava 20mgs has put an end to all of my aches and pains...so very grateful. But, my BP is now elevated (I'm adressing this with my PCP).”

Rudythom · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 22, 2016

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: “Had virtually no pain or swelling anymore. Used with combination of Humira. Had to come off, unfortunately due to gut and intestinal issues getting severe. Did help my RA more than any other medication so far, but too many gut issues.”

janika17 January 16, 2011

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: “Arava worked great for me for about 2 1/2 months. My pain and stiffness was much, much improved. Unfortunately I developed a severe rash and had to take the medication to remove it from my system as quickly as possible. Had it not been for the rash I would still be on it.”

Anonymous June 3, 2009

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: “I took Arava for about one year. It worked fabulously for the rheumatoid arthritis. I was even going to aerobics and kick boxing. However, my hair started to fall out and I ended up with no eyebrows. Needless to stay I stopped taking it and my rheumatoid arthritis has not been good ever since. My hair grew back but in some spots it did not. I still have some bald spots in my eyebrows. I was not very happy about that as I am only 35.”

Aprill55 January 15, 2014

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: “I have been on Arava for approximetely 2 months, prior to that I had Rituxin Infusion Therapy and was currently on 20 mg of prednisone. I had started to reduce the prednisone when I was down to 5mg and off, I started to have a burning in my mouth and tongue. I checked with the pharmacy and it is a know side effect for leisons and issue within the mouth. I am hoping that there is something else that I can take, as this past year my rheumatoid arthritis has been full blown out of control. I at least can now type and manage to button my clothes and tie my shoes. I can only hope.”

grannysp January 29, 2010

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: “I have taken Arava for over 10 years and have had good results. I have RA and I have stopped taking it because of surgery and because of a chronic infection but always go back. I have many allergies and most of the other meds for RA have caused bad reactions.”

Anonymous March 9, 2010

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: “I took Arava for about 8 months. It gave me a new lease on life to the point I was having no symptoms, pain or stiffness. I had to stop the medication because of Valley Fever. I want to get the message out to anyone living in a high risk state for "Valley Fever" be very aware and see your provider if you have any symptoms. I only had a persistent cough. Had chest X-ray done and was found to have a very large lung nodule that ended up being "valley fever" abscess.”

PK Gal · Taken for less than 1 month November 25, 2019

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: “Taking Arava about 3 weeks for RA, it gave me a bad headache. My head hurt really bad, and my neck, I couldn't turn my head. My hands got very weak felt like I had sprained them. My finger joints were inflamed and burning pain and ALL my joints hurt worse. I stopped using it and headache, neck and hand pain got better.”

franciha April 7, 2009

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: “I have been on Arava for 1 month. So far - hardly any side effects. It has improved the quality of my life in that I am not experiencing any pain. I will continue to monitor any side-effects over the next few months.”

EvilLena · Taken for less than 1 month August 12, 2017

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: “I'm posting this for my mother, who is not able to type like she once did as a result of this medication. Methotrexate was also a difficult med., which caused confusion, depression, loss of balance, hair loss and an INCREASE in joint pain. Arava had similar effects, but instead of 5 weeks as with Methotrexate, she was only able to tolerate 3 days of Arava! (at 1/2 dose per rheumy recommendation). She had symptoms very much like a stroke the evening of the third day - unable to speak more than a word or two, not to mention absolute terror as well as the effects listed above. For anyone keeping track: she waited a full 2 weeks between stopping methotrexate and trying the Arava. after 5 weeks now, she's ALMOST back to normal. Beware!”

Anonymous May 31, 2009

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: “I've been taking Arava for 12 months or so now. It worked in the early days but now, I have quite severe pain and am looking at starting to take Infliximab along side the Arava. With regards to side effects, none apart from the persistent, annoying tickly cough, which I've had now for about 7 months.”

Kristi · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 26, 2018

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: “One year on Arava so far. Has greatly improved joint pain, the side effects I have noticed are some skin lesions, thinning eyebrows, migraine headache increase, also elevated liver enzymes. It has given me back movement which is important for over all health. I will take the side effects compared to ruined joints for now. I did have liver enzymes normal a week after steroid shop for bad headache, I would think the medication could reduce swelling in liver?.”

Saltio · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 11, 2014

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: “Not ONLY the pain from rheumatoid arthritis - Arava made my hair fall out, lump in esophagus, and chronic throat infection.”

Hettiel July 22, 2011

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: “I have been taking Arava for almost 2 years. I have recently developed very high blood pressure and I'm not sure if Arava is the cause of it. We have picked up that it increased my cholesterol.”

Anonymous March 2, 2009

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: “This medicine gave me very bad indigestion, acid reflux, and severe nausea. My doctor cut me down to one pill every other day and it did cut all of these effects basically out.”

cedickson September 8, 2011

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: “It worked wonderfully for several years until I got a tooth infection. I had to go off Arava for the antibiotics to kill the infection. Sadly when I returned to Arava it no longer worked for me.”