User Reviews for Arava

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Arava.

Arava Rating Summary

6.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 358 medications used in the treatment of Rheumatoid Arthritis.

Reviews for Arava to treat Rheumatoid Arthritis

"I'm posting this for my mother, who is not able to type like she once did as a result of this medication. Methotrexate was also a difficult med., which caused confusion, depression, loss of balance, hair loss and an INCREASE in joint pain. Arava had similar effects, but instead of 5 weeks as with Methotrexate, she was only able to tolerate 3 days of Arava! (at 1/2 dose per rheumy recommendation). She had symptoms very much like a stroke the evening of the third day - unable to speak more than a word or two, not to mention absolute terror as well as the effects listed above. For anyone keeping track: she waited a full 2 weeks between stopping methotrexate and trying the Arava. after 5 weeks now, she's ALMOST back to normal. Beware!"

EvilLena (taken for less than 1 month) August 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"No way did this drug help me!!!!!! What it Did do was give me MS symptoms! Yes ! I went totally blind off and on during the day and had debilitating headaches to where all I did was lay n cry!!!!!! Warning the dr tells me I had MS I say no it's the drug! He says no and proceeds to send me to a nuerologist! He exams me and says no it's probably neuropathy! So here I go again being sent to yet another specialist! I was sent to a optomolgist and he says no your eyes are fine it has to be MS! I then go back to the rhuemotologist for him to say yes it's MS don't stop the drug! I went out on my own gut and Stopped the Arava and WHAT DO YOU KNOW--- MS SYMPTOMS DISSPPEARED ALMOST INSTANTLY! So please be aware these drugs will do more harm than good"

Trish44 January 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Had virtually no pain or swelling anymore. Used with combination of Humira. Had to come off, unfortunately due to gut and intestinal issues getting severe. Did help my RA more than any other medication so far, but too many gut issues."

Rudythom (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 22, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I I could not take it stomach problems and barfing I am very allergist to sulfa penicillin bioxen do not know if that had something to do with it"

Bibi2 November 20, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was unable to move around ...very stiff and sore. It was so bad I was considering using a cane to get around. Arava 20mgs has put an end to all of my aches and pains...so very grateful. But, my BP is now elevated (I'm adressing this with my PCP)."

jen287 March 17, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on Arava for over 10 years now. At first (following the loading dose) I was taking 20 mg daily. I went from not being able to dress myself to being completely independent and relatively pain free. I do have fibromyalgia, so there has been some muscle pain with that. I lost quite a bit of hair at first, but that stopped. After 7 or 8 years I asked my doctor if I could try to taper down. I went from 20 mg daily to 20 mg every other day. I have mild psoriasis which flared when I cut back, but eventually it cleared up again. After a year, my doctor decreased it to 10 mg every other day. The psoriasis flared again, but is now gone and I am maintaining at 10 mg every other day and doing well."

Tina G. P. March 6, 2014

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Not ONLY the pain from rheumatoid arthritis - Arava made my hair fall out, lump in esophagus, and chronic throat infection."

Saltio (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 11, 2014

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on Arava for approximetely 2 months, prior to that I had Rituxin Infusion Therapy and was currently on 20 mg of prednisone. I had started to reduce the prednisone when I was down to 5mg and off, I started to have a burning in my mouth and tongue. I checked with the pharmacy and it is a know side effect for leisons and issue within the mouth. I am hoping that there is something else that I can take, as this past year my rheumatoid arthritis has been full blown out of control. I at least can now type and manage to button my clothes and tie my shoes. I can only hope."

Aprill55 January 15, 2014

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on Arava for 6 weeks and I also take 5mg of Prednisone. The medication has been extremely helpful in treating the swelling and soreness of the joints. I am now able to write, type, stir, laugh and I feel generally so much improvement, it's like getting my life back after several months of severe pain, swelling and stiffness."

GrannyK. (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 25, 2013

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Was on Arava for a little over a year. The hair loss, pain from the hair loss, gastrointestinal problems, and the infections are just too much. My hair is so thin. I went to my doctor and had it stopped. I lost another 6lbs in 2 months and that is with the introduction of Ensure. I hope others have a better experience then what I did. I am 27 years old and everyday I felt life leaving me little by little."

krismas85 January 24, 2013

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started taking Arava in Sep. 2012. Two months ago I noticed my hair was falling out in the shower, and now in December my hair is so thin you can see my scalp. I also have to blow my nose ay least twenty times a day. And now I am getting sores in my mouth. I am not sure if I want to stay on it."

chocalate December 31, 2012

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"It worked wonderfully for several years until I got a tooth infection. I had to go off Arava for the antibiotics to kill the infection. Sadly when I returned to Arava it no longer worked for me."

cedickson September 8, 2011

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been taking Arava for almost 2 years. I have recently developed very high blood pressure and I'm not sure if Arava is the cause of it. We have picked up that it increased my cholesterol."

Hettiel July 22, 2011

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Arava worked great for me for about 2 1/2 months. My pain and stiffness was much, much improved. Unfortunately I developed a severe rash and had to take the medication to remove it from my system as quickly as possible. Had it not been for the rash I would still be on it."

janika17 January 16, 2011

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took Arava for about 8 months. It gave me a new lease on life to the point I was having no symptoms, pain or stiffness. I had to stop the medication because of Valley Fever. I want to get the message out to anyone living in a high risk state for "Valley Fever" be very aware and see your provider if you have any symptoms. I only had a persistent cough. Had chest X-ray done and was found to have a very large lung nodule that ended up being "valley fever" abscess."

Anonymous March 9, 2010

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have taken Arava for over 10 years and have had good results. I have RA and I have stopped taking it because of surgery and because of a chronic infection but always go back. I have many allergies and most of the other meds for RA have caused bad reactions."

grannysp January 29, 2010

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on Arava for three years now. I have not had any adverse side effects. Every so often my thumb hurts and I have to use a pain cream but that is my only complaint."

Anonymous January 13, 2010

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took Arava for about one year. It worked fabulously for the rheumatoid arthritis. I was even going to aerobics and kick boxing. However, my hair started to fall out and I ended up with no eyebrows. Needless to stay I stopped taking it and my rheumatoid arthritis has not been good ever since. My hair grew back but in some spots it did not. I still have some bald spots in my eyebrows. I was not very happy about that as I am only 35."

Anonymous June 3, 2009

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been taking Arava for 12 months or so now. It worked in the early days but now, I have quite severe pain and am looking at starting to take Infliximab along side the Arava. With regards to side effects, none apart from the persistent, annoying tickly cough, which I've had now for about 7 months."

Anonymous May 31, 2009

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on Arava for 1 month. So far - hardly any side effects. It has improved the quality of my life in that I am not experiencing any pain. I will continue to monitor any side-effects over the next few months."

franciha April 7, 2009

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This medicine gave me very bad indigestion, acid reflux, and severe nausea. My doctor cut me down to one pill every other day and it did cut all of these effects basically out."

Anonymous March 2, 2009