User Reviews for Sulfasalazine

Also known as: Azulfidine, Azulfidine EN-tabs

Sulfasalazine has an average rating of 5.5 out of 10 from a total of 111 ratings on Drugs.com. 43% of those users who reviewed Sulfasalazine reported a positive effect, while 42% reported a negative effect.

Inflammatory Bowel Disease   10.0
Crohn's Disease, Maintenance  Off-label 1 reviews 26 medications
Summary of Sulfasalazine reviews 5.5 111 reviews

Reviews for Sulfasalazine

Becca · Taken for less than 1 month November 17, 2020

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: “No benefits of using sulfasalazine for RA. Just stomach pain, asthma, depression, anxiety and a constant feeling of impending doom. Strange, but I'm post- menopausal and had menstrual bleeding after 1 week on sulfasalazine. All of this stopped when I stopped taking this drug”

Moody Blue · Taken for less than 1 month September 27, 2020

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: “I take oxycodone for 3 types of Arthritis and all my doctors thought SULFASALAZINE will help me. I'm also starting Prolia injection on October 6th. I'm already on nausea pills so doing ok there. So far main side effect is I am drowsy, and hurting all over but only been on one 500mg pill for 2 days and going continue and hope it helps. I have terrible inflammation all over and a lot of inflammation in my feet. They are not swollen though it's inside, going get cortisone injections in both feet October 6th also they've always helped although this time my pain is more in my toes like rubber bands are around them, hopefully all I'm doing will give me relief. I try to get out everyday with a mask on for some walking. If I stay home I get to stiff, I also fractured my hip in December.”

Jax · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 4, 2020

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: “Avoid sulfasalazine it gave me chronic pancreatitis almost finished me off and now I'm diabetic due to this drug!”

rd · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 22, 2020

For Crohn's Disease: “Came down with crohns disease a year ago. Dr put me on mesalamine at $400.00 a month. Told her l needed a cheaper med. Put me on sulfasalazine at 3000 mg a day but only $16.00 a month. Works just as well if not better than mesalamine.”

RRLE · Taken for 5 to 10 years June 24, 2020

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: “This sulfasalazine is the fifth or sixth drug my doc put me on. It seems to be helping, but I can still feel my joints getting worse, just not as fast as they were. I had my first knee pains when I was 9 years old. I was told it was just growing pains. IMHO, there is no such thing as growing pains. I have been on sulfasalazine for well over five years now. It does not make me sick, lose my hair, dizzy, or more grumpy then normal...for me anyway. It works well as long as you are not allergic to sulfur.”

Eddie · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 2, 2020

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: “After taking sulfasalazine for 9 months I don't feel any better. Severe pain in shoulder, elbows, hands & feet. Don't know what next step will be. Any recommendations?”

Ed · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 19, 2020

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: “I reacted poorly to sulfasalazine. My fiancee expressed that it had some weird cognitive effects on me, as if I were on heavy opioids or recovering from anesthesia. For my part, I felt like I was moving through molasses for the four months I was on it. I got really fatigued regularly, too, and experienced tightness in my chest that left me after I stopped the drug. It didn't provide much relief.”

Inflame62 · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 16, 2020

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: “Been on this sulfasalazine for RA for 4 years have now and for last 6 months sharp cramping pain in stomach right of navel. I don’t if anyone else has had this problem plus pain under left rib. Seriously thinking of packing it in joints no improvement either also dry itchy upper feet. Also been taking it without folic acid a which is advisable apparently , but which I didn’t know about.This drug can cause folate deficiency and vit-b12 deficiency too.Horrible drug.”

Pattonpi · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 29, 2020

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: “After 2 years of taking this drug with little relief I stopped taking it.”

El · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 10, 2020

“My medical conditions are Polymyalgia rheumatica/temperal arteritis. I have tried methotrexate ,leflunomide ,azathioprine now been taking 4 sulfasalazine daily for about 6 weeks still hoping for a significant change in pain I’m getting in buttocks lower back and muscles at back of thighs and bursa joints. Possibly some changes but inconsistent, my nurse says it’s 3 months before it reaches full potential so I’m continuing with hope ! No serious side effects apart from loss of appetite and sore mouth I’m hoping this will eventually settle along with a noticeable improvement although I find I get extremely tired and exhausted at the moment. I’m still taking 20 mg prednisolone at the moment until symptoms settle down . Hopefully this will work I have few options left to try”

Jamie · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 11, 2019

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: “I've dealt with joint pains and swelling of my joints that on and off forced me to use crutches at only 22 years old. (And several other symptoms) Predinisone was the only medication helping me deal with the worst of my pains. My doctor suggested I start taking sulfasalazine about 5 months ago and I was shocked at my results. I haven't felt this healthy in a very long time. Sulfasalazine helped me getting my life back and I am so grateful for my results. I've had no side effects that Ive noticed except for the headaches I got when I started taking the medication.”

JB · Taken for less than 1 month December 10, 2019

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: “My mum was started on sulfasalazine 4 weeks ago for RA with severe bilateral hand pain and swelling. Initially everything was fine but when the dose was increased in the 2nd week to 500mg twice a day her mood started to deteriorate and developed symptoms of plantar fascitis. She became bed bound and in the fourth week developed flu like symptoms together with rash on the upper torso and feet. Her medication was stopped as the initial worry was that she may have Steven Johnson syndrome. Luckily it was not this. Her symptoms of plantar fascitis improved since stopping this drug so we suspect it was most likely symptoms due to sulfasalazine. The Rheumatologist now want to start my mum on methotrexate but at the moment we are holding back and symptoms are being controlled with prednisone.”

thwackster · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 30, 2019

For Crohn's Disease: “Diagnosed with Crohn's over a year ago and was in pain daily. Still waiting on insurance to cover gastro and surgery. In the meantime, my PCP offered up sulfasalazine and I agreed to try it. It's the first time I've been symptom free in years. I barely have any bloating or pain anymore and I have almost normal bowel movements again. I did feel an attack coming on so he added prednisone for two weeks and everything calmed back down. As long as I'm taking this and not eating too many processed foods or heavy meats, I'm good. As far as I'm concerned, this drug has been a miracle for me.”

KAH · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 26, 2019

“After 6 months of severe flare ups primarily in hands, knees and shoulders, I was diagnosed with Seronegative Spondyloarthritis. After the first month on sulfasalazine with basically no relief, I started getting great results. Only been on this for 2 months but have have had virtually no flares up for 4 weeks. Truly hope it continues and hope for good results for anyone facing these conditions. I had no idea how nasty RA and similar conditions were until I got it myself.”

Runnergirl · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 25, 2019

Azulfidine (sulfasalazine) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “56 yo female diagnosed with RA two years ago. Before the diagnosis I had severe pain in my hands, arms, shoulders, knees, ankles and legs. I really thought I was going in the direction of a wheelchair. I had been a runner but never thought I would run again. After about six months of being on the medicine Azilfidine I was able to start running again. This year in July, I qualified for the Boston Marathon! Something I’ve only dreamt about, thank you so much for the medicine!!”

pinkhairedanalyst · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 1, 2019

For Psoriatic Arthritis: “My doc started me on this since it’s the weakest medication with the least amount of side effects you can be on for autoimmune conditions. Docs aren’t fond of methotrexate in young adult females either (I’m a 23 year old female). I have PsA, and it’s a night and day difference with this medication. I take 3 pills twice daily. My inflammation markers have decreased by 7 points and .2 points on the other. Life changing medication and I no longer feel like garbage. If you don’t like the idea of side effects, start with this first. Every body processes medications different, but you don’t know until you try it.”

JooJoo · Taken for 10 years or more September 12, 2019

For Ulcerative Colitis: “I've been taking sulfasalzine for too many years; but it keeps mu ulcerative colitis in remission. I take 8 a day.”

NZNurse28 · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 11, 2019

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: “Update from 2017. My husband is still taking Sulfasalazine after almost three years. Along with the Minocycline. He has no symptoms of RA and no joint damage whatsoever. However after an episode of severe kidney/back pain in the night last week I took him to ER. A CT showed one stone in his right kidney and one stone in his bladder. Kidney stones are a known side effect of Sulfasalazine. He has cut down to two 500mg a day but because he continues to have back spasms and chest pain he has been put on a week of Prednisone. The previous episode in 2017 was actually diagnosed as Anaemia of Chronic Disease and treated with Prednisone. He now has it again. Seriously considering stopping the Sulfasalazine as most of his episodes can be attributed to this drug. Still no other symptoms of RA.”

Peggy90 · Taken for less than 1 month September 10, 2019

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: “I’ve been on the good injection for years which has been amazing. Due to it not been sold anymore, they have put me on Sulfasalizine I’m on 3 a day now and have constant headaches, pain in my neck no energy at all And loss of appetite. I’m dreading taking 4 next week. I just hope my body can adjust to the medication and no side affects”

Top cat · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 27, 2019

“The first year sulfasalazine felt like a miracle cure for my Ankylosing Spondylitis absolutely no back hip and knee pains at all Now I’m getting a bout or two knee pains that come and go although thankfully still no Back and Hip pains What is happening now and quite often stomach problems including indigestion and reflux My Doctors seem to completely ignore my case possibly because I’m over seen by London Euston hospital and getting to talk to anyone at the hospital is all but impossible If you are in early stage of disease this drug will really help”

Harry August 11, 2019

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: “Salfasalazine worked on me for 2 years after 2 years it shows allergic reactions on my legs under the knee. Doctor discontinued it for further treatment. Now he prescribed me leflunomide 10mg.”

Evansy · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 6, 2019

For Ulcerative Colitis: “Noticed after 1 month my blood was going away and my stools near normal. No side effects. I take one pill morning and night daily. Have my energy back and I am back outdoors doing what I love again instead of looking for a toilet.”

Jp · Taken for 10 years or more July 28, 2019

For Ulcerative Colitis: “I’ve been using salazopyrin (sulfasalazine) for over 30 years for my ulcerative colitis. This drug has kept me in long periods of remission. I have tried other treatments but my colitis responds to this drug best. No side effects. My theory is if it works stick to it. I take 3 in the morning after breakfast and 3 at night after dinner. This drug has been my saviour to a relatively normal life:)”

Sam · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 28, 2019

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: “Been using the sulfasalazine medicine for 45 days now, dose 2+0+2 per day. It has reduced my pain significantly but I feel nauseated, exhausted and lost my appetite.”

Kjay · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 8, 2019

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: “Diagnosed with RA 2013. Managed on hydroxy & kenalog injections until last year when wrists, neck & knees were in constant pain. Started on sulphasalazine last September - kenalog injection initially reduced pain & swelling until it kicked in & apart from a couple of blood issues sulfasalazine has been great. No daily side effects at all but when reached 4 daily my neutrophils decreased to an unacceptable low. I’m now settled on 3/day rather than 4 & it’s seems to be working for me.”