User Reviews for Sulfasalazine

Also known as: Azulfidine, Azulfidine EN-tabs, Sulfazine

Learn more about Sulfasalazine.

Inflammatory Bowel Disease 2 reviews 72 medications

Ulcerative Colitis 8 reviews 187 medications

3.9
Summary of Sulfasalazine reviews 44 reviews 6.7

Reviews for Sulfasalazine

For Ulcerative Colitis: "It helped a little for a couple months but didn't have as much effect as me and my GI specialist had hoped. After the couple months it became completely uneffective."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 20, 2017

For Psoriatic Arthritis: "Was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis at 28 years old. In a span of about 8 weeks I had 3 joint flare ups. At first I just thought I jammed a few few fingers, but after having the same issue in my toe (and the fact they weren't healing) I finally saw a doctor who recommended a rheumatologist and I was diagnosed. Took a while to take effect, but I started noticing a difference at 10 weeks. After 10 weeks, sulfasalazine plus 660 mg naproxen sodium was enough for my fingers to feel 85% normal. After 4 months my joints felt 85% on sulfasalazine alone. By 6 months it's as if I don't have arthritis at all. Truly miracle drug."

Shed987 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 13, 2017

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Initially caused severe headaches upon waking. The headaches responded well to Tylenol. Took months to become effective at all and after that my rheumy doubled my dose which took even more months. Total time to achieve a tolerable level of inflammation was 7 months. I finally feel like a more "normal" person again. It is not 100% effective but I am satisfied as I do not need to take anything else like an NSAID or other pain meds. any more. I'm glad I didn't give up on it as it is working and is considered one of the more benign DMARDs available. I suffer from inflammatory arthritis (nonspecific/not RA). Check into turmeric (golden paste) to help with inflammation. Praying for a cure for all!"

Pusheen (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 17, 2016

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I was diagnosed with RA when I was 10 years old. I was prescribed methotrexate originally and that worked well. But when I reached 21, I wanted to come off of it because I wanted to be able to consume alcohol. I was then prescribed sulfasalazine and found that this worked just as well as methotrexate. The only downfall was how long it took to kick in and relieve my symptoms. After taking sulfasalazine for a little over a year, I went into remission for 3 years. But this week my jaw is very stiff and hurts pretty bad so I started back up on sulfasalazine (2 pills in the morning, 2 pills at night). I have no side effects. For those who get nausea from sulfasalazine-folic acid really helps with that. I highly recommend this medication."

caseey14 December 11, 2016

For Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Sulfasalazine initially caused extreme headaches upon waking, extra strength acetametaphine worked for those. It took months to begin to work and I eventually got to 4 pills per day. It took an extra six months for it to work well. I still have low grade inflammation but at least I am not miserable anymore, can sleep through the night and get up fairly well. So it did work but for me it took a super long time to do so. My CRP dropped to normal (2 from 16.5) well before I felt close to normal."

Pusheen (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 11, 2016

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I've been on sulfasalazine for just about 8 months. I started it as they advise--increasing dose each week until up to 4 per day. (for RA) It began working fairly well after a few weeks, however, by the time I got up to the full dose, I began to have a feeling of something stuck in throat-almost unable croak out a sound.I'm a professional singer/musician, so this was impossible. I immediately cut back, and it got better. I really wanted this to work, it's cheap and one of the safest RA meds. Anyway, I was able to totally control my RA with 1 sulfasalazine and 2 plaquenil daily.Still hoarse/throat problems, and now fingers are peeling and sore. Time to switch to methotrexate to see if it gets better. :("

rebbie55 September 27, 2016

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I have been on these meds for 6 weeks now. Started with one pill a day, then increased weekly to four pills a day. It has greatly helped with my pain. I'm sleeping better at night and especially within the last week, have been able to go about life almost how I did prediagnosis. So for that part - I would recommend giving it a go. As for side effects, I've been fortunate enough to not experience any type of stomach upset or headaches or anything like that. I have however been losing alot of hair. I can run my hand through very lightly, no tugging whatsoever, and end up with about 20 strands. I can run my hand through continually like this and the same thing happens. No pain from pulling, just falling out :( Choosing to tough it out for now"

australiankitten June 9, 2016

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I don't recommend this med... Just two days of taking this and a severe headache every time. Gonna see my rhumy to change this med.."

BAD MED (taken for less than 1 month) May 1, 2016

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I have only been on this med for 4 months. It has helped with my stiffness. My body would become so stiff, felt like I had pre death rigormortis... especially after sitting for any length of time. Getting up from a sitting position was extremely painful and awkward. My only complaint about the med is that it is to large for me to swallow. I take 3 per day, and I am fearful that I will choke on them. They scrape my throat and esophagus when I take them. Wish they would change the shape and coat them to make them easier to take."

mygoldens April 25, 2016

For Psoriatic Arthritis: "I was on sulfasalazine after being diagnosed with PSA. My first arthritis medication. I was also experiencing reactive arthritis when first diagnosed. I started at 1 tablet 2 times a day. I had some quite adverse reactions to start, trouble sleeping and nausea. Rheumatologist suggested humeria. After reading up on humeria I decided it was worth trying to soldier through a longer trial period with sulfasalazine before switching, eating plain food etc. to minimise impacts of side effects. So glad I did. Now at 4 tabs/day. All the side effects are now gone and I can eat normally. Sulfasalazine has reduced joint inflammation to the point that I can exercise. I recommend giving sulfasalazine side effects a bit of time to equalize."

Hilara April 7, 2016

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Started on sulfasalazine three months ago. First four weeks difficult as experienced headache, palpitations and felt exhausted. I also had severe mouth ulcers and required antibiotic therapy. Found increasing tabs weekly too intense so reduced increase to four weekly and found my body tolerated increase better. Now on two am and one pm and starting to see improvement in swelling and flare. Noted once flare starts it was time to increase dose. Started feeling aches all over this weekend so plan to increase to two am and two pm. Will update on progress. Nb in uk"

Toli (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 28, 2016

For Crohn's Disease: "I've only been taking this for 2 1/2 weeks but I'm very impressed that my chronic loose stools have completely stopped! I've noticed no negative side effects and if mild constipation is a side effect, I welcome it. I am now taking a little less loperamide and I'll be experimenting to see if increasing dosages of sulfasalizine will enable me to take even less loperamide. Later I'll get blood tests to make sure the new drug isn't having negative effects that I don't notice. After all these years dealing with diarrhea, I'm so grateful my doc suggested I try this stuff!"

ljerrnbf5 February 1, 2016

For Psoriatic Arthritis: "I was recently diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis at the age of 45. Very early stages according to my doctor. He placed me on Sulfasalazine. Started 1 pill per day for 2 weeks then 2 a day the next week then 3x per day the following week. When I made it to the 3x per day I had a terrible reaction. Severe nausea, headaches, and sensitivity to light and noticed I felt weak and was about to go to the emergency room. I stopped immediately and felt better within days. I'm diabetic and tested my blood sugar and did notice a massive drop on this medication. The symptoms I was having could have been low blood sugar. The sulfasalazine may have reacted to my metformin to cause low blood sugar. I was switched to Plaquenil."

Rich N. January 13, 2016

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I've been on this medication for 6 months. Started off with 2 pills a day, then went to 4 pills a day, now on 6 pills a day. Also take 2 Celebrex a day. I'm on/off prednisone when I get flare ups. Cold temps seem to make my symptoms worse. Sulfasalazine seems to help, but when I have a flare up, it's bad. Flu symptoms and extremely tired. I don't think the meds help with my fatigue and that's very frustrating."

LWatt (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 10, 2016

Azulfidine (sulfasalazine) for Ulcerative Colitis: "severe headache (seems like my head is gonna explode) nausea & vomiting"

Jing2 (taken for less than 1 month) December 19, 2015

For Psoriatic Arthritis: "can't tell much difference if any"

aggravated October 22, 2015

For Psoriatic Arthritis: "I'm a 31 year old male. I've had Little to no side effects. I had loose stool for the first week other than that I've had no problems. I wouldn't say it's a miracle drug but it has relieved my pain significantly within the first 2 weeks. My wife is happy because I complain about a 1/4 as much lol. Still have some lower back pain but my neck pain has pretty much disappeared. The rest of my body feels better but like I said not 100% (that may be because I'm getting older, who knows lol). Very thankful for this drug. I've been on it for about 4 months."

DannyBoy718 September 16, 2015

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "My reaction was unusual! After the second week I began to get daily severe headaches and raised temperature, after the third week my temperature was quite high, still severe headaches, doctor thought it was an infection, blood tests showed extremely high CRP, ESR and raised liver enzymes, also extremely low blood pressure. I was taken off sulfasalazine and treated with antibiotics, improved quickly, recommenced medicine and had exactly the same reaction within aweek!"

Moggie 1 February 26, 2015

Azulfidine (sulfasalazine) for Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Worked really well when I was younger. Now 30 years later, it isn't as effective, and it causes stomach upset. Even when taken with food."

beccacamden (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 1, 2014

For Crohn's Disease: "Severe flare put me in the hospital. Have had no problems in 9 months of taking sulfasalazine went against doctors advice choose this over stronger medication. All labs have been good since. Also got a new doctor!"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 13, 2014

For Psoriatic Arthritis: "After being on methotrexate and Humira I experienced no relief as well as a SEVERE LIFE THREATENING episode called Ludwigs Angina, ended up in a coma for 4 days, and was told if I had waited 1/2 hr longer to go to ER, I probably wouldn't have survived! I swore off all arthritic medicines for a year, except for pain medicines. Rheumatologist understood, and after a year suggested we start back very passively as opposed to aggressively to treatment. She suggested SSZ (sulfasalazine) and I reluctantly agreed. I was told it could take up to 3-4 months before I would see any improvement. Within 3 weeks I felt like a new person, I've been on it for a year and feel wonderful!"

Jbm61 June 25, 2014

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Rheumatoid arthritis since 1994, pretty severe case. Had to stop taking Humira and methotrexate due to repeated bouts with pneumonia and lung damage. Currently on sulfasalazine, Plaquenil and prednisone. Occasional flares but things are basically back under control."

SGM May 6, 2014

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Ulcerative Colitis: "The only positives I have personally is no side effects and less expensive than other medications for ulcerative colitis. "

mpsprowl (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 28, 2014

Sulfazine (sulfasalazine) for Ulcerative Colitis: "I have been taking this medication for a while now, along with Azathioprine and Prednisone. Just today I stopped the Prednisone, after decreasing by a half each week. I experienced some remission of the Prednisone after I was at 2 and 1/2 pills, and bumped it back up to 5. I haven't experienced any bad side effects of the Sulfazine, and my only complaint is that it is really chalky. I am 13, and was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis almost a year ago."

sarahyue April 7, 2014

Sulfazine (sulfasalazine) for Inflammatory Bowel Disease: "In remission all labs and inflamatory markers normal. No side effects other than a headache once in a while."

Washington State (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 27, 2014