User Reviews for Sulfasalazine

4.5

1 review 25 medications
Summary of Sulfasalazine reviews 5.8 79 reviews

Reviews for Sulfasalazine

For Psoriatic Arthritis: "Diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis (PsA) at 44, had nail psoriasis since 14 years old. Forced to stop Methotrexate at week 8 due to hair loss. Switched to Sulfasalazine 7 months ago on 2000mg. 4 months on 2000mg per day but no improvement but also no side effects. At 5 months I developed plantar fasciitis, severe fatigue, apathy, low mood and stiffness throughout my whole body. I was told it was the PsA. I put on a stone in weight - I am 5ft 2ins and normally weigh 9 stone. I felt and moved like a woman twice my age. I gave up on sulfasalazine a week ago. The next day, I felt a different person, and have felt better again with each passing day. Fatigue has gone, mood lifted, stiffness lessened and the joint pain significantly reduced. Whilst I still have some joint pain, stiffness and sore feet, I am significantly better in myself since coming off this drug. I start Otezla tomorrow."

Mumof3 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 30, 2018

For Ulcerative Colitis: "I have been taking sas or sulfasalazine entabs for over 40 years, 9-12 pills a day-(500 mg each) which is more like a Crohn's dose It has handled my ulcerative colitis perfectly. Over the years, I tried to wean off of it, because I felt so good. The symptoms returned. I'm back on the pills. No problem whatsoever .I have tried other pills, (asacol and others I don't remember) None worked as well. It's effective and safe. No side effects that I notice. I am a male , 65 years old. I play hockey 3 times a week. This drug is why I lead a normal life. The low dosages did nothing for me.(anything below 4000 mg per day)"

hershmendel (taken for 10 years or more) August 21, 2018

Sulfazine (sulfasalazine) for Ulcerative Colitis: "I have been taking Sulfazine for colitis for the past two months. I've have not had any noticeable side effects. The medication has decreased my symptoms dramatically."

SouthTexas (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 5, 2018

For Crohn's Disease: "I was getting gastric blockages quite often that caused a lot of pain and put me in the hospital on more than one occasion. I wasn’t diagnosed with crohns until after my surgery. After surgery my GI doctor gave me a couple of prescriptions for medicine that wasn’t covered under my insurance and I could not afford. We settled on sulfasazaline. I have been taking this stuff for 8 months now. I go to the restroom now more than ever. I noticed that if I would miss a dose or two, I didn’t have to use the restroom so much. This medicine caused bloating, strange noises in my abdomen, constant diarrhea, and abdominal pain. I recently took myself off the drug and feel my best since surgery. I’m waiting for my next appointment with my GI doctor to discuss other medicine or no medicine at all."

Crohny (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 17, 2018

For Crohn's Disease: "Sulfasalazinemade me have to go to the bathroom every couple of hours. Felt even more bloated than before"

bluenoyellow (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 7, 2018

For Psoriatic Arthritis: "I am starting Sulfasalazine for the second time as the first time I ended up coming down with the flu a couple of times so decided to wait. My symptoms have been worse so just started it again. I am on my last day of two pills in the morning and one in the evening. No real bad side effects other than increased joint aching, especially in hip. I had a lot of trouble sleeping last night as I just couldn't get comfortable at all. I'm supposed to increase gradually up to three pills in the morning and three at night. I will have to see how it goes though. I am not really patient when it comes to side effects."

cmurf62 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 31, 2018

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "After 6 months of symptoms I was diagnosed with RA 5 weeks ago and started this medication immediately. The pain was primarily affecting my feet, ankles, and toes, and I had been totally unable to walk for the whole 6 months. After about 3 weeks I noticed a major improvement. Although I still had pain, the locked-up stiffness was totally gone which meant I could walk again. Today, after 5 weeks, the pain is drastically improved and I hope this continues. Today I went out to see how far I could walk, and I made it 4 kms. I also experienced no side effects coming onto this medication. I would also suggest anyone with RA check out the Paddison program. Clint Paddison developed very severe RA at 31 and got to full remission and off of all of his medications in only two years. You can do it too!!"

taydye4 May 14, 2018

For Psoriatic Arthritis: "Started Sulfasalazine, three weeks ago, I have been feeling quite ill, flu like, drained of energy, mornings are like the worst hangover feeling, my joints are never like before with constant pain, tiredness never leaves me, some diarrhoea, is this drug for me?"

Jazz (taken for less than 1 month) May 10, 2018

For Not Listed / Other: "Have been taking Sulfasalazine for about two months for spondyloarthritis. Not only has it made no difference to joint/muscle pain, but it has severely worsened my fatigue. I feel like I have flu constantly. Also causing terrible thirst. Hoping things will improve with time, but so far not at all encouraging."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 16, 2018

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Diagnosed 2010 lots medications and wore ear muffs daily. In 2017 I began methotrexate and became ill along with neurotin and 2 Tylenol 2 times a day with ear muffs. Now after week 1 of just the sulfa I stop the ear muffs but when I got to week 2 and added the hydrochloriquine I needed the ear muffs again. My head hurts bad, constipated and with hair loss and more pain. So I stopped the hydrochloriquine. Today I took a pill called Ultimate Immunity along with Sulfasalizine 2 pills 2 times a day, 1prednisone, 1folic acid. I make a mustard pack and put under my feet at bed time and 1 fiber capsule no ear muffs. The moral to this is finding what works for RA and how to treat the side affects. I put mustard on a paper towel in put in the pit of my feet at night for the headaches. The fiber is for constipation the ultimate immunity is for the immune system and the rest is prescribe for the RA and hair loss I'm 2 months in and LOVING IT. In my opinion hydrochloriquine stops the sulfasalazine from working"

Mrs. Williams March 15, 2018

For Ulcerative Colitis: "I had never heard something postive about this medication for colitis but I had to find out myself. From day 2 I started using sulfasalazine I got super watery bowel movement. It worsened over time including blood. My doctor told that it had to take around a month to be fully working so I kept taking them. I had to go 25-30 times and even at night. The bloating started and there was so much gas in my stomach I was in real pain. On the 4th week I got a high fever. I stopped the medication, but the fever lasted a week and I had a mild stomach bleeding. When I started it again I got a fever within 6 hours. Also my hair was falling out in chunks and my beard thinned out heavily. It worsened my life in the past 2 months. I was taking 2000mg"

Millop February 15, 2018

For Crohn's Disease: "I took this drug every single day for 20 years and had no problems or side effects at all. I cannot get any Doctor to Prescribe it because they say it is too dangerous I say they make NO money so they want you to do the IV's that cost a fortune if you do not have insurance."

Magnus2112 February 5, 2018

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Awful drug!! I was on this drug for 2 months. Started at one tablet a day then increased to 2 tablets a day equaling 1,000 mg. It seemed to help some with joint pain but the side effects were awful. Intense migraines from the start then a few a days ago, I had to call an ambulance as I felt like I was having a heart attack and couldn't breathe. I was vomiting as well. My liver enzymes were through the roof and now they think I have liver damage. I'm due to have a liver biopsy soon. Run, run far away from this med!!"

Sweetchksgrl (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 31, 2018

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I’ve been on sulfasalazine for RA for about 10 weeks. I increased the dose gradually over 3 weeks. Once I reached the full dose (2000 mg/day) I started noticing side effects. Mostly headaches/nausea. I decided to try to stick it out and I’m so glad I did. Eventually side effects went away as I adjusted to the med. Over the past week I’ve felt better than I have in years! Still have joints that sore, but the symptoms I have are very mild compared to what they once were. Hoping this continues to improve over the next few months."

Cbshah January 22, 2018

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Started taking Sulfasalazine about 5 month ago, doubled the dose just last month. It's not working, I"m getting worse!"

Cyrus 1 January 19, 2018

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Been on six a day lot of help. don’t feel much better after 2 years on them they don’t do enough for you there is drug called the liquid gold I have spoke to people they are normal again no aches pains stiffness etc. But only the queen and Simon Cowell and rich will get them I been told it’s costs £36000 per year for years course of tablets !"

Nunny50essex (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 1, 2017

For Ulcerative Colitis: "I was on Lialda and in remission for over two years, unfortunately insurance doesn’t cover it anymore. No flares, but I do have canker sores all over my mouth, swollen lips and red splotches in my face that itch. I had to stop and now waiting for another prescription."

GUblues November 26, 2017

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Ended up in ER for falling on concrete reason dizziness and drop in red blood cell and more."

Worse November 21, 2017

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I wrote another review here earlier-I got off sulfa thinking it was causing me to go hoarse, but after 5 months on methotrexate, I developed 2 ulcers, so got back on sulfasalazine. No hoarseness, so it was something else. I love it. I've got severe RA- for 38 years. This is one of the safer ones-try to stick it out past the early symptoms, go slow, add 1 pill a week until you get up to where you need. I just got off plaquenuil, as I think it was causing muscle weakness and heart enlargement.(a rare side effect of Plaq) Not sure though, so will see what happens. Best med ever for RA is minocycline-I got 17 great years on it-but it may have caused drug induced lupus. (rare) so sulfasalazine is next best thing. I take 6 per day now, and few aspirin too"

rebbie55 October 20, 2017

For Ulcerative Colitis: "I just got my meds changed today cause for some reason these one irritate me down below with stinging after peeing "

Lianne78 September 22, 2017

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I started this medication because my liver levels was high. Took for a month notice no change in my RA. Finally had to stop this sulfasalazine.....totally constipated me really bad. Took a week just to go, had stomach pain, sweating, and thought I was going to explode!! Back to taking ibuprophen. "

Rojin (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 6, 2017

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I couldn't move without a lot of pain. My doctor put on it and in month I was pain free and have been taking it every day since. About ten years now."

Anonymous August 24, 2017

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Update from June. My husband has been improving in terms of his Anaemia of Chronic disease on Prednisone 15mg daily. However still on 2 gms of Sulfasalazine he has had Pleuritis for two months and now has Conjunctivitis and .? Scleritis. All of which are listed as side effects of Sulfasalazine. These are his only symptoms associated with RA. While reluctant to reduce the Sulfasalazine we will do so. We increased the Minocycline to 200mg alt days. a few days ago."

DrG2 (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 8, 2017

For Ulcerative Colitis: "This medicine has completely turned my life around! Just when I was losing hope I started this medication 1000mg 4 times a day. I went from having severe gas pain, blood, mucas, a lot of BM, and uncomfortable distended stomach after I ate to EVERY symptom GONE after the first month of taking this medication! The only side effect I've experienced is the first few days of starting the medicine I had really bad stomach upset but after day 4 my body started to adjust and I had my first normal BM in almost a year! I also get headaches randomly but ibuprofen always knocks it out. Totally worth giving it a shot!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 3, 2017

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Was put on sulfasalazine 2 weeks ago! I've had methotrexate...plus injectable meteject...leflunamide & now this traumatizing horrible stuff. Every single DMARD has had horrendous effects on me. Started sulfasalazine 2 weeks ago & have had continual non stop pressure, headaches and sweats, nausea & feel bloody awful.. so so so bad.. I went away for a week on holiday and I've never felt so ill! It completely ruined my family holiday. These headaches are ruining my life! It feels like someone's got a clamp around my head and has turned the heating up to full blast in my bones and body! Not happy at all. :"("

db68 July 23, 2017