User Reviews for Sulfasalazine

Also known as: Azulfidine, Azulfidine EN-tabs, Sulfazine

Learn more about Sulfasalazine.

Inflammatory Bowel Disease 2 reviews 73 medications

Ulcerative Colitis 9 reviews 96 medications

4.1
Summary of Sulfasalazine reviews 50 reviews 6.6

Reviews for Sulfasalazine

For Crohn's Disease: "Have been on several medications over the years. This being one of them. Was taken off about 9 years ago. Went to many others over next 6 years. Was put on lialda 2 years ago with worsening symptoms. More pain and distended belly. Went to emergency room for 4 the time in three months. Asked my doctor about putting me back on this. I shouldn't be having this many issues. Its been 2 days on salfasazine cypro, flagyl and zofran. Stomach is half its size. Way less pain and eating chicken and stars soup. Yeah."

Amrhymer March 25, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Psoriatic Arthritis: "Been a psoriatic arthritis sufferer these last twenty years. My flare ups are dreadful. After taking them for just two weeks symptoms are abated; it really works for me despite convincing my new GP I knew what I was on about! Methotrexate was awful. No side effects with SULFASALAZINE with me. After three months no pain at all....but one needs to drink lots of water. I've had periods on and off this drug, all due to flare ups..."

Mumswallet (taken for 10 years or more) March 20, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Sulfazine (sulfasalazine) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Nasty stuff. First had extreme tiredness, then stomach pain, diarrhea, headache, fever, chills, rash. Went to emergency. Was on it total of 3-1/2 wks. Stopped it two days ago, still not well. Maybe go back to methotrexate."

Tdcime February 26, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Psoriatic Arthritis: "Trialled this medicine for Psoriatic arthritis for approx 6 months in combination with Methotrexate and Hydroxychloroquinine. While no major side effects there was no clinical efficacy either so therapy was discontinued."

Aussie Beau (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 5, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Ulcerative Colitis: "I have taken sulfasalazine for 40 yrs. It worked OK on my u.c. until I had a flair up. I would have to take 8 pills a day for months. My urine was always orange and Medicaid only paid for a limited number of pills per month. After much research this year, I tried a probiotic for my gut. I found that one probiotic (45 billion active cultures) a day did a better job of keeping the u.c. at bay. I can eat vegetables I couldn't before. I have less gas and more normal bowel movements. I quit taking the sulfasalazine because it interfered with the probiotic. I haven't had a problem these last 6 months even with excessive stress."

K.D.L. February 1, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Crohn's Disease: "My doc said, "let's try sulfafalazine ".So we did, and I've been on 1000mg three times a day. Don't even realize I have Crohns disease most of the time. (Recommended). There is that other part where everyone gets a different reaction thoe..... ."

Mike $321 February 1, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Ulcerative Colitis: "It helped a little for a couple months but didn't have as much effect as me and my GI specialist had hoped. After the couple months it became completely uneffective."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 20, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Psoriatic Arthritis: "Was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis at 28 years old. In a span of about 8 weeks I had 3 joint flare ups. At first I just thought I jammed a few few fingers, but after having the same issue in my toe (and the fact they weren't healing) I finally saw a doctor who recommended a rheumatologist and I was diagnosed. Took a while to take effect, but I started noticing a difference at 10 weeks. After 10 weeks, sulfasalazine plus 660 mg naproxen sodium was enough for my fingers to feel 85% normal. After 4 months my joints felt 85% on sulfasalazine alone. By 6 months it's as if I don't have arthritis at all. Truly miracle drug."

Shed987 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 13, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Initially caused severe headaches upon waking. The headaches responded well to Tylenol. Took months to become effective at all and after that my rheumy doubled my dose which took even more months. Total time to achieve a tolerable level of inflammation was 7 months. I finally feel like a more "normal" person again. It is not 100% effective but I am satisfied as I do not need to take anything else like an NSAID or other pain meds. any more. I'm glad I didn't give up on it as it is working and is considered one of the more benign DMARDs available. I suffer from inflammatory arthritis (nonspecific/not RA). Check into turmeric (golden paste) to help with inflammation. Praying for a cure for all!"

Pusheen (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 17, 2016

23 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I was diagnosed with RA when I was 10 years old. I was prescribed methotrexate originally and that worked well. But when I reached 21, I wanted to come off of it because I wanted to be able to consume alcohol. I was then prescribed sulfasalazine and found that this worked just as well as methotrexate. The only downfall was how long it took to kick in and relieve my symptoms. After taking sulfasalazine for a little over a year, I went into remission for 3 years. But this week my jaw is very stiff and hurts pretty bad so I started back up on sulfasalazine (2 pills in the morning, 2 pills at night). I have no side effects. For those who get nausea from sulfasalazine-folic acid really helps with that. I highly recommend this medication."

caseey14 December 11, 2016

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Sulfasalazine initially caused extreme headaches upon waking, extra strength acetametaphine worked for those. It took months to begin to work and I eventually got to 4 pills per day. It took an extra six months for it to work well. I still have low grade inflammation but at least I am not miserable anymore, can sleep through the night and get up fairly well. So it did work but for me it took a super long time to do so. My CRP dropped to normal (2 from 16.5) well before I felt close to normal."

Pusheen (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 11, 2016

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I've been on sulfasalazine for just about 8 months. I started it as they advise--increasing dose each week until up to 4 per day. (for RA) It began working fairly well after a few weeks, however, by the time I got up to the full dose, I began to have a feeling of something stuck in throat-almost unable croak out a sound.I'm a professional singer/musician, so this was impossible. I immediately cut back, and it got better. I really wanted this to work, it's cheap and one of the safest RA meds. Anyway, I was able to totally control my RA with 1 sulfasalazine and 2 plaquenil daily.Still hoarse/throat problems, and now fingers are peeling and sore. Time to switch to methotrexate to see if it gets better. :("

rebbie55 September 27, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I have been on these meds for 6 weeks now. Started with one pill a day, then increased weekly to four pills a day. It has greatly helped with my pain. I'm sleeping better at night and especially within the last week, have been able to go about life almost how I did prediagnosis. So for that part - I would recommend giving it a go. As for side effects, I've been fortunate enough to not experience any type of stomach upset or headaches or anything like that. I have however been losing alot of hair. I can run my hand through very lightly, no tugging whatsoever, and end up with about 20 strands. I can run my hand through continually like this and the same thing happens. No pain from pulling, just falling out :( Choosing to tough it out for now"

australiankitten June 9, 2016

27 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I don't recommend this med... Just two days of taking this and a severe headache every time. Gonna see my rhumy to change this med.."

BAD MED (taken for less than 1 month) May 1, 2016

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I have only been on this med for 4 months. It has helped with my stiffness. My body would become so stiff, felt like I had pre death rigormortis... especially after sitting for any length of time. Getting up from a sitting position was extremely painful and awkward. My only complaint about the med is that it is to large for me to swallow. I take 3 per day, and I am fearful that I will choke on them. They scrape my throat and esophagus when I take them. Wish they would change the shape and coat them to make them easier to take."

mygoldens April 25, 2016

33 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Psoriatic Arthritis: "I was on sulfasalazine after being diagnosed with PSA. My first arthritis medication. I was also experiencing reactive arthritis when first diagnosed. I started at 1 tablet 2 times a day. I had some quite adverse reactions to start, trouble sleeping and nausea. Rheumatologist suggested humeria. After reading up on humeria I decided it was worth trying to soldier through a longer trial period with sulfasalazine before switching, eating plain food etc. to minimise impacts of side effects. So glad I did. Now at 4 tabs/day. All the side effects are now gone and I can eat normally. Sulfasalazine has reduced joint inflammation to the point that I can exercise. I recommend giving sulfasalazine side effects a bit of time to equalize."

Hilara April 7, 2016

28 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Started on sulfasalazine three months ago. First four weeks difficult as experienced headache, palpitations and felt exhausted. I also had severe mouth ulcers and required antibiotic therapy. Found increasing tabs weekly too intense so reduced increase to four weekly and found my body tolerated increase better. Now on two am and one pm and starting to see improvement in swelling and flare. Noted once flare starts it was time to increase dose. Started feeling aches all over this weekend so plan to increase to two am and two pm. Will update on progress. Nb in uk"

Toli (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 28, 2016

25 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Crohn's Disease: "I've only been taking this for 2 1/2 weeks but I'm very impressed that my chronic loose stools have completely stopped! I've noticed no negative side effects and if mild constipation is a side effect, I welcome it. I am now taking a little less loperamide and I'll be experimenting to see if increasing dosages of sulfasalizine will enable me to take even less loperamide. Later I'll get blood tests to make sure the new drug isn't having negative effects that I don't notice. After all these years dealing with diarrhea, I'm so grateful my doc suggested I try this stuff!"

ljerrnbf5 February 1, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Psoriatic Arthritis: "I was recently diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis at the age of 45. Very early stages according to my doctor. He placed me on Sulfasalazine. Started 1 pill per day for 2 weeks then 2 a day the next week then 3x per day the following week. When I made it to the 3x per day I had a terrible reaction. Severe nausea, headaches, and sensitivity to light and noticed I felt weak and was about to go to the emergency room. I stopped immediately and felt better within days. I'm diabetic and tested my blood sugar and did notice a massive drop on this medication. The symptoms I was having could have been low blood sugar. The sulfasalazine may have reacted to my metformin to cause low blood sugar. I was switched to Plaquenil."

Rich N. January 13, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I've been on this medication for 6 months. Started off with 2 pills a day, then went to 4 pills a day, now on 6 pills a day. Also take 2 Celebrex a day. I'm on/off prednisone when I get flare ups. Cold temps seem to make my symptoms worse. Sulfasalazine seems to help, but when I have a flare up, it's bad. Flu symptoms and extremely tired. I don't think the meds help with my fatigue and that's very frustrating."

LWatt (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 10, 2016

36 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Azulfidine (sulfasalazine) for Ulcerative Colitis: "severe headache (seems like my head is gonna explode) nausea & vomiting"

Jing2 (taken for less than 1 month) December 19, 2015

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Psoriatic Arthritis: "can't tell much difference if any"

aggravated October 22, 2015

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Psoriatic Arthritis: "I'm a 31 year old male. I've had Little to no side effects. I had loose stool for the first week other than that I've had no problems. I wouldn't say it's a miracle drug but it has relieved my pain significantly within the first 2 weeks. My wife is happy because I complain about a 1/4 as much lol. Still have some lower back pain but my neck pain has pretty much disappeared. The rest of my body feels better but like I said not 100% (that may be because I'm getting older, who knows lol). Very thankful for this drug. I've been on it for about 4 months."

DannyBoy718 September 16, 2015

28 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "My reaction was unusual! After the second week I began to get daily severe headaches and raised temperature, after the third week my temperature was quite high, still severe headaches, doctor thought it was an infection, blood tests showed extremely high CRP, ESR and raised liver enzymes, also extremely low blood pressure. I was taken off sulfasalazine and treated with antibiotics, improved quickly, recommenced medicine and had exactly the same reaction within aweek!"

Moggie 1 February 26, 2015

50 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Azulfidine (sulfasalazine) for Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Worked really well when I was younger. Now 30 years later, it isn't as effective, and it causes stomach upset. Even when taken with food."

beccacamden (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 1, 2014