User Reviews for Sulfasalazine

Ulcerative Colitis
4.2

Summary of Sulfasalazine reviews 5.9 73 reviews

Reviews for Sulfasalazine

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "After 6 months of symptoms I was diagnosed with RA 5 weeks ago and started this medication immediately. The pain was primarily affecting my feet, ankles, and toes, and I had been totally unable to walk for the whole 6 months. After about 3 weeks I noticed a major improvement. Although I still had pain, the locked-up stiffness was totally gone which meant I could walk again. Today, after 5 weeks, the pain is drastically improved and I hope this continues. Today I went out to see how far I could walk, and I made it 4 kms. I also experienced no side effects coming onto this medication. I would also suggest anyone with RA check out the Paddison program. Clint Paddison developed very severe RA at 31 and got to full remission and off of all of his medications in only two years. You can do it too!!"

taydye4 May 14, 2018

For Psoriatic Arthritis: "Started Sulfasalazine, three weeks ago, I have been feeling quite ill, flu like, drained of energy, mornings are like the worst hangover feeling, my joints are never like before with constant pain, tiredness never leaves me, some diarrhoea, is this drug for me?"

Jazz (taken for less than 1 month) May 10, 2018

For Not Listed / Other: "Have been taking Sulfasalazine for about two months for spondyloarthritis. Not only has it made no difference to joint/muscle pain, but it has severely worsened my fatigue. I feel like I have flu constantly. Also causing terrible thirst. Hoping things will improve with time, but so far not at all encouraging."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 16, 2018

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Diagnosed 2010 lots medications and wore ear muffs daily. In 2017 I began methotrexate and became ill along with neurotin and 2 Tylenol 2 times a day with ear muffs. Now after week 1 of just the sulfa I stop the ear muffs but when I got to week 2 and added the hydrochloriquine I needed the ear muffs again. My head hurts bad, constipated and with hair loss and more pain. So I stopped the hydrochloriquine. Today I took a pill called Ultimate Immunity along with Sulfasalizine 2 pills 2 times a day, 1prednisone, 1folic acid. I make a mustard pack and put under my feet at bed time and 1 fiber capsule no ear muffs. The moral to this is finding what works for RA and how to treat the side affects. I put mustard on a paper towel in put in the pit of my feet at night for the headaches. The fiber is for constipation the ultimate immunity is for the immune system and the rest is prescribe for the RA and hair loss I'm 2 months in and LOVING IT. In my opinion hydrochloriquine stops the sulfasalazine from working"

Mrs. Williams March 15, 2018

For Ulcerative Colitis: "I had never heard something postive about this medication for colitis but I had to find out myself. From day 2 I started using sulfasalazine I got super watery bowel movement. It worsened over time including blood. My doctor told that it had to take around a month to be fully working so I kept taking them. I had to go 25-30 times and even at night. The bloating started and there was so much gas in my stomach I was in real pain. On the 4th week I got a high fever. I stopped the medication, but the fever lasted a week and I had a mild stomach bleeding. When I started it again I got a fever within 6 hours. Also my hair was falling out in chunks and my beard thinned out heavily. It worsened my life in the past 2 months. I was taking 2000mg"

Millop February 15, 2018

For Crohn's Disease: "I took this drug every single day for 20 years and had no problems or side effects at all. I cannot get any Doctor to Prescribe it because they say it is too dangerous I say they make NO money so they want you to do the IV's that cost a fortune if you do not have insurance."

Magnus2112 February 5, 2018

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Awful drug!! I was on this drug for 2 months. Started at one tablet a day then increased to 2 tablets a day equaling 1,000 mg. It seemed to help some with joint pain but the side effects were awful. Intense migraines from the start then a few a days ago, I had to call an ambulance as I felt like I was having a heart attack and couldn't breathe. I was vomiting as well. My liver enzymes were through the roof and now they think I have liver damage. I'm due to have a liver biopsy soon. Run, run far away from this med!!"

Sweetchksgrl (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 31, 2018

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I’ve been on sulfasalazine for RA for about 10 weeks. I increased the dose gradually over 3 weeks. Once I reached the full dose (2000 mg/day) I started noticing side effects. Mostly headaches/nausea. I decided to try to stick it out and I’m so glad I did. Eventually side effects went away as I adjusted to the med. Over the past week I’ve felt better than I have in years! Still have joints that sore, but the symptoms I have are very mild compared to what they once were. Hoping this continues to improve over the next few months."

Cbshah January 22, 2018

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Started taking Sulfasalazine about 5 month ago, doubled the dose just last month. It's not working, I"m getting worse!"

Cyrus 1 January 19, 2018

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Been on six a day lot of help. don’t feel much better after 2 years on them they don’t do enough for you there is drug called the liquid gold I have spoke to people they are normal again no aches pains stiffness etc. But only the queen and Simon Cowell and rich will get them I been told it’s costs £36000 per year for years course of tablets !"

Nunny50essex (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 1, 2017

For Ulcerative Colitis: "I was on Lialda and in remission for over two years, unfortunately insurance doesn’t cover it anymore. No flares, but I do have canker sores all over my mouth, swollen lips and red splotches in my face that itch. I had to stop and now waiting for another prescription."

GUblues November 26, 2017

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Ended up in ER for falling on concrete reason dizziness and drop in red blood cell and more."

Worse November 21, 2017

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I wrote another review here earlier-I got off sulfa thinking it was causing me to go hoarse, but after 5 months on methotrexate, I developed 2 ulcers, so got back on sulfasalazine. No hoarseness, so it was something else. I love it. I've got severe RA- for 38 years. This is one of the safer ones-try to stick it out past the early symptoms, go slow, add 1 pill a week until you get up to where you need. I just got off plaquenuil, as I think it was causing muscle weakness and heart enlargement.(a rare side effect of Plaq) Not sure though, so will see what happens. Best med ever for RA is minocycline-I got 17 great years on it-but it may have caused drug induced lupus. (rare) so sulfasalazine is next best thing. I take 6 per day now, and few aspirin too"

rebbie55 October 20, 2017

For Ulcerative Colitis: "I just got my meds changed today cause for some reason these one irritate me down below with stinging after peeing "

Lianne78 September 22, 2017

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I started this medication because my liver levels was high. Took for a month notice no change in my RA. Finally had to stop this sulfasalazine.....totally constipated me really bad. Took a week just to go, had stomach pain, sweating, and thought I was going to explode!! Back to taking ibuprophen. "

Rojin (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 6, 2017

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I couldn't move without a lot of pain. My doctor put on it and in month I was pain free and have been taking it every day since. About ten years now."

Anonymous August 24, 2017

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Update from June. My husband has been improving in terms of his Anaemia of Chronic disease on Prednisone 15mg daily. However still on 2 gms of Sulfasalazine he has had Pleuritis for two months and now has Conjunctivitis and .? Scleritis. All of which are listed as side effects of Sulfasalazine. These are his only symptoms associated with RA. While reluctant to reduce the Sulfasalazine we will do so. We increased the Minocycline to 200mg alt days. a few days ago."

DrG2 (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 8, 2017

For Ulcerative Colitis: "This medicine has completely turned my life around! Just when I was losing hope I started this medication 1000mg 4 times a day. I went from having severe gas pain, blood, mucas, a lot of BM, and uncomfortable distended stomach after I ate to EVERY symptom GONE after the first month of taking this medication! The only side effect I've experienced is the first few days of starting the medicine I had really bad stomach upset but after day 4 my body started to adjust and I had my first normal BM in almost a year! I also get headaches randomly but ibuprofen always knocks it out. Totally worth giving it a shot!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 3, 2017

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Was put on sulfasalazine 2 weeks ago! I've had methotrexate...plus injectable meteject...leflunamide & now this traumatizing horrible stuff. Every single DMARD has had horrendous effects on me. Started sulfasalazine 2 weeks ago & have had continual non stop pressure, headaches and sweats, nausea & feel bloody awful.. so so so bad.. I went away for a week on holiday and I've never felt so ill! It completely ruined my family holiday. These headaches are ruining my life! It feels like someone's got a clamp around my head and has turned the heating up to full blast in my bones and body! Not happy at all. :"("

db68 July 23, 2017

For Crohn's Disease, Maintenance: "I was on sulfasalazine for 25 years until my kidney function decreased, and I had bone marrow suppression. In other words, I became pretty ill. I already had third stage kidney disease from another medication, bipolar. I take Topamax for the migraines.I have gastroparesis and take 5 other medications. I originally started with acute crohn's olitis but have been in remission since taking prednisone & then sulfasalazine"

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) July 3, 2017

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I'm a late 50s male recently diagnosed with RA. Thus far, it has not worked at all for me (have "ramped up" over the past two months). To be fair, I was told it could take months before it "kicked in." I'm fairly miserable every day - hands, feet, and jaw, alternating or at the same time. Had no idea how nasty RA is until getting first-hand experience. Fatigue is an issue for me as well, RA or the sulfasalazine? This has been tough as I have always been very active."

Humbled Man June 22, 2017

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "My husband has been on Sulfasalazine 2 gms a day since November 2016 for his severe RA. He developed RA in January of last year and was on Methorexate for 8 months when it was discontinued due to severe Bacteriaemia. He is also taking Minocycline. He had a probable flare at the beginning of May this year, six months after starting both drugs. At that time he also developed Atrial Fib that reverted on drugs. He was prescribed Flecainide which he took for two weeks but discontinued it due to side effects. We blamed that for his loss of appetite and weight loss - 36 lbs in six weeks. It's now three weeks since he stopped the heart drug. I'm now thinking it might be the Sulfasalazine. His RA symptoms are gone apart from a little stiffness."

DrG2 June 12, 2017

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I started on 0.5g/day (1 tab) and increased the dose weekly until I reached a max dose of 3g/day (6 tabs). At first I thought it wasn't working at all because my pain never improved, but eventually I realised that brand new symptoms were presenting in new joints and that I was now also experiencing awful muscle spasm (in my calves, fingers and toes) - I had never had this problem before. My fatigue also became more and more severe... Eventually, nearly 4 months after starting treatment, I stopped this awful drug.... Sadly, 1 month later, I am still struggling with the after effects. What a terrible terrible drug this is."

IssyB (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 25, 2017

For Ulcerative Colitis: "It wasn't helpful at all very useful."

Rita Moore April 30, 2017

For Crohn's Disease: "Have been on several medications over the years. This being one of them. Was taken off about 9 years ago. Went to many others over next 6 years. Was put on lialda 2 years ago with worsening symptoms. More pain and distended belly. Went to emergency room for 4 the time in three months. Asked my doctor about putting me back on this. I shouldn't be having this many issues. Its been 2 days on salfasazine cypro, flagyl and zofran. Stomach is half its size. Way less pain and eating chicken and stars soup. Yeah."

Amrhymer March 25, 2017