User Reviews for Sulfasalazine

Also known as: Azulfidine, Azulfidine EN-tabs, Sulfazine

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Sulfasalazine.

Inflammatory Bowel Disease

Ulcerative Colitis
4.4

Summary of Sulfasalazine reviews 6.7 65 reviews

Reviews for Sulfasalazine

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Been on six a day lot of help. don’t feel much better after 2 years on them they don’t do enough for you there is drug called the liquid gold I have spoke to people they are normal again no aches pains stiffness etc. But only the queen and Simon Cowell and rich will get them I been told it’s costs £36000 per year for years course of tablets !"

Nunny50essex (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Ulcerative Colitis: "I was on Lialda and in remission for over two years, unfortunately insurance doesn’t cover it anymore. No flares, but I do have canker sores all over my mouth, swollen lips and red splotches in my face that itch. I had to stop and now waiting for another prescription."

GUblues November 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Ended up in ER for falling on concrete reason dizziness and drop in red blood cell and more."

Worse November 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I wrote another review here earlier-I got off sulfa thinking it was causing me to go hoarse, but after 5 months on methotrexate, I developed 2 ulcers, so got back on sulfasalazine. No hoarseness, so it was something else. I love it. I've got severe RA- for 38 years. This is one of the safer ones-try to stick it out past the early symptoms, go slow, add 1 pill a week until you get up to where you need. I just got off plaquenuil, as I think it was causing muscle weakness and heart enlargement.(a rare side effect of Plaq) Not sure though, so will see what happens. Best med ever for RA is minocycline-I got 17 great years on it-but it may have caused drug induced lupus. (rare) so sulfasalazine is next best thing. I take 6 per day now, and few aspirin too"

rebbie55 October 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Ulcerative Colitis: "I just got my meds changed today cause for some reason these one irritate me down below with stinging after peeing "

Lianne78 September 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I started this medication because my liver levels was high. Took for a month notice no change in my RA. Finally had to stop this sulfasalazine.....totally constipated me really bad. Took a week just to go, had stomach pain, sweating, and thought I was going to explode!! Back to taking ibuprophen. "

Rojin (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I couldn't move without a lot of pain. My doctor put on it and in month I was pain free and have been taking it every day since. About ten years now."

Anonymous August 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Update from June. My husband has been improving in terms of his Anaemia of Chronic disease on Prednisone 15mg daily. However still on 2 gms of Sulfasalazine he has had Pleuritis for two months and now has Conjunctivitis and .? Scleritis. All of which are listed as side effects of Sulfasalazine. These are his only symptoms associated with RA. While reluctant to reduce the Sulfasalazine we will do so. We increased the Minocycline to 200mg alt days. a few days ago."

DrG2 (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Ulcerative Colitis: "This medicine has completely turned my life around! Just when I was losing hope I started this medication 1000mg 4 times a day. I went from having severe gas pain, blood, mucas, a lot of BM, and uncomfortable distended stomach after I ate to EVERY symptom GONE after the first month of taking this medication! The only side effect I've experienced is the first few days of starting the medicine I had really bad stomach upset but after day 4 my body started to adjust and I had my first normal BM in almost a year! I also get headaches randomly but ibuprofen always knocks it out. Totally worth giving it a shot!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Was put on sulfasalazine 2 weeks ago! I've had methotrexate...plus injectable meteject...leflunamide & now this traumatizing horrible stuff. Every single DMARD has had horrendous effects on me. Started sulfasalazine 2 weeks ago & have had continual non stop pressure, headaches and sweats, nausea & feel bloody awful.. so so so bad.. I went away for a week on holiday and I've never felt so ill! It completely ruined my family holiday. These headaches are ruining my life! It feels like someone's got a clamp around my head and has turned the heating up to full blast in my bones and body! Not happy at all. :"("

db68 July 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Crohn's Disease, Maintenance: "I was on sulfasalazine for 25 years until my kidney function decreased, and I had bone marrow suppression. In other words, I became pretty ill. I already had third stage kidney disease from another medication, bipolar. I take Topamax for the migraines.I have gastroparesis and take 5 other medications. I originally started with acute crohn's olitis but have been in remission since taking prednisone & then sulfasalazine"

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) July 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I'm a late 50s male recently diagnosed with RA. Thus far, it has not worked at all for me (have "ramped up" over the past two months). To be fair, I was told it could take months before it "kicked in." I'm fairly miserable every day - hands, feet, and jaw, alternating or at the same time. Had no idea how nasty RA is until getting first-hand experience. Fatigue is an issue for me as well, RA or the sulfasalazine? This has been tough as I have always been very active."

Humbled Man June 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "My husband has been on Sulfasalazine 2 gms a day since November 2016 for his severe RA. He developed RA in January of last year and was on Methorexate for 8 months when it was discontinued due to severe Bacteriaemia. He is also taking Minocycline. He had a probable flare at the beginning of May this year, six months after starting both drugs. At that time he also developed Atrial Fib that reverted on drugs. He was prescribed Flecainide which he took for two weeks but discontinued it due to side effects. We blamed that for his loss of appetite and weight loss - 36 lbs in six weeks. It's now three weeks since he stopped the heart drug. I'm now thinking it might be the Sulfasalazine. His RA symptoms are gone apart from a little stiffness."

DrG2 June 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I started on 0.5g/day (1 tab) and increased the dose weekly until I reached a max dose of 3g/day (6 tabs). At first I thought it wasn't working at all because my pain never improved, but eventually I realised that brand new symptoms were presenting in new joints and that I was now also experiencing awful muscle spasm (in my calves, fingers and toes) - I had never had this problem before. My fatigue also became more and more severe... Eventually, nearly 4 months after starting treatment, I stopped this awful drug.... Sadly, 1 month later, I am still struggling with the after effects. What a terrible terrible drug this is."

IssyB (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Ulcerative Colitis: "It wasn't helpful at all very useful."

Rita Moore April 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Crohn's Disease: "Have been on several medications over the years. This being one of them. Was taken off about 9 years ago. Went to many others over next 6 years. Was put on lialda 2 years ago with worsening symptoms. More pain and distended belly. Went to emergency room for 4 the time in three months. Asked my doctor about putting me back on this. I shouldn't be having this many issues. Its been 2 days on salfasazine cypro, flagyl and zofran. Stomach is half its size. Way less pain and eating chicken and stars soup. Yeah."

Amrhymer March 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Psoriatic Arthritis: "Been a psoriatic arthritis sufferer these last twenty years. My flare ups are dreadful. After taking them for just two weeks symptoms are abated; it really works for me despite convincing my new GP I knew what I was on about! Methotrexate was awful. No side effects with SULFASALAZINE with me. After three months no pain at all....but one needs to drink lots of water. I've had periods on and off this drug, all due to flare ups..."

Mumswallet (taken for 10 years or more) March 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Sulfazine (sulfasalazine) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Nasty stuff. First had extreme tiredness, then stomach pain, diarrhea, headache, fever, chills, rash. Went to emergency. Was on it total of 3-1/2 wks. Stopped it two days ago, still not well. Maybe go back to methotrexate."

Tdcime February 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Psoriatic Arthritis: "Trialled this medicine for Psoriatic arthritis for approx 6 months in combination with Methotrexate and Hydroxychloroquinine. While no major side effects there was no clinical efficacy either so therapy was discontinued."

Aussie Beau (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Ulcerative Colitis: "I have taken sulfasalazine for 40 yrs. It worked OK on my u.c. until I had a flair up. I would have to take 8 pills a day for months. My urine was always orange and Medicaid only paid for a limited number of pills per month. After much research this year, I tried a probiotic for my gut. I found that one probiotic (45 billion active cultures) a day did a better job of keeping the u.c. at bay. I can eat vegetables I couldn't before. I have less gas and more normal bowel movements. I quit taking the sulfasalazine because it interfered with the probiotic. I haven't had a problem these last 6 months even with excessive stress."

K.D.L. February 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Crohn's Disease: "My doc said, "let's try sulfafalazine ".So we did, and I've been on 1000mg three times a day. Don't even realize I have Crohns disease most of the time. (Recommended). There is that other part where everyone gets a different reaction thoe..... ."

Mike $321 February 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Ulcerative Colitis: "It helped a little for a couple months but didn't have as much effect as me and my GI specialist had hoped. After the couple months it became completely uneffective."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Psoriatic Arthritis: "Was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis at 28 years old. In a span of about 8 weeks I had 3 joint flare ups. At first I just thought I jammed a few few fingers, but after having the same issue in my toe (and the fact they weren't healing) I finally saw a doctor who recommended a rheumatologist and I was diagnosed. Took a while to take effect, but I started noticing a difference at 10 weeks. After 10 weeks, sulfasalazine plus 660 mg naproxen sodium was enough for my fingers to feel 85% normal. After 4 months my joints felt 85% on sulfasalazine alone. By 6 months it's as if I don't have arthritis at all. Truly miracle drug."

Shed987 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Initially caused severe headaches upon waking. The headaches responded well to Tylenol. Took months to become effective at all and after that my rheumy doubled my dose which took even more months. Total time to achieve a tolerable level of inflammation was 7 months. I finally feel like a more "normal" person again. It is not 100% effective but I am satisfied as I do not need to take anything else like an NSAID or other pain meds. any more. I'm glad I didn't give up on it as it is working and is considered one of the more benign DMARDs available. I suffer from inflammatory arthritis (nonspecific/not RA). Check into turmeric (golden paste) to help with inflammation. Praying for a cure for all!"

Pusheen (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 17, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I was diagnosed with RA when I was 10 years old. I was prescribed methotrexate originally and that worked well. But when I reached 21, I wanted to come off of it because I wanted to be able to consume alcohol. I was then prescribed sulfasalazine and found that this worked just as well as methotrexate. The only downfall was how long it took to kick in and relieve my symptoms. After taking sulfasalazine for a little over a year, I went into remission for 3 years. But this week my jaw is very stiff and hurts pretty bad so I started back up on sulfasalazine (2 pills in the morning, 2 pills at night). I have no side effects. For those who get nausea from sulfasalazine-folic acid really helps with that. I highly recommend this medication."

caseey14 December 11, 2016