User Reviews for Sulfasalazine

4.5

1 review 26 medications
Summary of Sulfasalazine reviews 5.6 86 reviews

Reviews for Sulfasalazine

For Psoriatic Arthritis: "Have been on sulfasalazine now for approx 6 weeks, 2000mg/day. Not seeing much improvement, joints still swell badly. Pain in shoulder kept me awake tonight. Acid reflux, which I had prior to this medication, has significantly worsened. Overall not pleased with sulfasalazine."

Seahorse02 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 29, 2019

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Finally got dx serum-negative RA (on top of 20 years fibro) almost 3 years ago. Flunked methotrexate (night terrors!); on Plaquenil x2, but still had immobilizing pain. Added Leflunomide, still stiff & painfilled. Add in Tramodol - discovered it's an OPIOD and got off it asap. Using Medrol dose packs (prednisone) for severe Fibro+RA flare. Finally building endurance for standing/walking. Then RA dr puts Sulfasalazine in my med mix. Can't walk 30 steps without severe muscle pain (like I did a 10Km run?). Can't stand >2 minutes. Not fun! Emailing dr to get me off of SZS. I am so frustrated; I have even lost wt (30+ pounds) and still feel like my muscles are wasted."

Bux (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 18, 2019

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I thought my head was going to explode. I started at 2 a day then went up to 4 a day. I been on it for about a month, now. But not taking it anymore, been unable to go to work for 3 days now,,,,run run - do not take - it is too much,"

painfree plz (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 6, 2019

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Was diagnosed with RA in July 2018, started on Plaquenil a couple weeks after, then in December 2018 they started me on the sulfasalazine. I was very gassy when starting out. It took me 6 weeks to go from 500mg per day to 2000mg. My symptoms were pretty severe in July 2018, and it took about 4 months for Plaquenil to do anything. At about 6 weeks on sulfasalazine, I started getting improvements. I'm now at 9 weeks and I went all day and barely had any joint pain. The only thing that sucks is it seems to be making my GERD symptoms a little worse at times still. I'm hoping that this will gradually decline in the next few weeks though. Other than that, I get a bit drowsy and seem to sleep longer on this. But so far I'm pretty happy with it."

jonnyohio (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 29, 2019

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Diagnosed with RA 9 years ago. Have been on hydroxycloroquine and methotrexate- had liver problems so have had to come off the metho. Started this drug 2 and a half weeks ago. Mild symptoms at first nothing too bad but 3 days ago I upped the dose as prescribed and have had intense head and neck pain since. Pain has been so bad I was taken into hospital last night. They gave me codeine, oromorph diazepam and it was still bad, eventually I had anti sickness and IV fluids and was able to sleep for a bit. On waking I felt improved although head and neck pain is still there. As yet I have not taken today’s dose as I’m actually scared the intense pain will return. Confused as what to do as very little guidance from specialist or GP! Frustrating"

Bec (taken for less than 1 month) January 9, 2019

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I started taking sulfasalazine (SZS) with Plaquenil 2 months ago for RA. Immediately felt dizzy, confused, nosebleed and depression and also severe vision changes. Bi-Weekly blood draws were a total painful waste of time. Then began a very intense ringing in my ears. Discontinued Plaquenil twice a day, and dropped the SZS from 4 per day to 3. I did get some relief from RA, but far from worth the suffering of the severe side effects. Ringing in my ears continued especially bad in the mornings. Stopped SZS 2 days ago and ears still ringing like crazy. I hope this stops soon as I am almost crazy with it. Both drugs are very nasty and I will never again take either of these drugs. Appointment with Rheumitologist as soon as the ringing stops. She suggested an appointment with Audiologist to address the tinnitus. I know it is the SZS causing it. Going to try a different treatment, might as well go all the way at this point. Not ruling out Humira or another Biologic."

Hurtinallthetime (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 6, 2019

For Psoriatic Arthritis: "This worked great for about 10 days, then I started getting nerve pain and had to discontinue, but it completely cured my Psoriasis and Psoriatic Arthritis after just ten days! I was symptom free for almost two years. Things started drifting back again and I used it at lower doses, it always helps some, but I just can't stay on it due to the nerve pain in my legs."

Andy (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 25, 2018

For Psoriatic Arthritis: "Diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis (PsA) at 44, had nail psoriasis since 14 years old. Forced to stop Methotrexate at week 8 due to hair loss. Switched to Sulfasalazine 7 months ago on 2000mg. 4 months on 2000mg per day but no improvement but also no side effects. At 5 months I developed plantar fasciitis, severe fatigue, apathy, low mood and stiffness throughout my whole body. I was told it was the PsA. I put on a stone in weight - I am 5ft 2ins and normally weigh 9 stone. I felt and moved like a woman twice my age. I gave up on sulfasalazine a week ago. The next day, I felt a different person, and have felt better again with each passing day. Fatigue has gone, mood lifted, stiffness lessened and the joint pain significantly reduced. Whilst I still have some joint pain, stiffness and sore feet, I am significantly better in myself since coming off this drug. I start Otezla tomorrow."

Mumof3 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 30, 2018

For Ulcerative Colitis: "I have been taking sas or sulfasalazine entabs for over 40 years, 9-12 pills a day-(500 mg each) which is more like a Crohn's dose It has handled my ulcerative colitis perfectly. Over the years, I tried to wean off of it, because I felt so good. The symptoms returned. I'm back on the pills. No problem whatsoever .I have tried other pills, (asacol and others I don't remember) None worked as well. It's effective and safe. No side effects that I notice. I am a male , 65 years old. I play hockey 3 times a week. This drug is why I lead a normal life. The low dosages did nothing for me.(anything below 4000 mg per day)"

hershmendel (taken for 10 years or more) August 21, 2018

Sulfazine (sulfasalazine) for Ulcerative Colitis: "I have been taking Sulfazine for colitis for the past two months. I've have not had any noticeable side effects. The medication has decreased my symptoms dramatically."

SouthTexas (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 5, 2018

For Crohn's Disease: "I was getting gastric blockages quite often that caused a lot of pain and put me in the hospital on more than one occasion. I wasn’t diagnosed with crohns until after my surgery. After surgery my GI doctor gave me a couple of prescriptions for medicine that wasn’t covered under my insurance and I could not afford. We settled on sulfasazaline. I have been taking this stuff for 8 months now. I go to the restroom now more than ever. I noticed that if I would miss a dose or two, I didn’t have to use the restroom so much. This medicine caused bloating, strange noises in my abdomen, constant diarrhea, and abdominal pain. I recently took myself off the drug and feel my best since surgery. I’m waiting for my next appointment with my GI doctor to discuss other medicine or no medicine at all."

Crohny (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 17, 2018

For Crohn's Disease: "Sulfasalazinemade me have to go to the bathroom every couple of hours. Felt even more bloated than before"

bluenoyellow (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 7, 2018

For Psoriatic Arthritis: "I am starting Sulfasalazine for the second time as the first time I ended up coming down with the flu a couple of times so decided to wait. My symptoms have been worse so just started it again. I am on my last day of two pills in the morning and one in the evening. No real bad side effects other than increased joint aching, especially in hip. I had a lot of trouble sleeping last night as I just couldn't get comfortable at all. I'm supposed to increase gradually up to three pills in the morning and three at night. I will have to see how it goes though. I am not really patient when it comes to side effects."

cmurf62 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 31, 2018

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "After 6 months of symptoms I was diagnosed with RA 5 weeks ago and started this medication immediately. The pain was primarily affecting my feet, ankles, and toes, and I had been totally unable to walk for the whole 6 months. After about 3 weeks I noticed a major improvement. Although I still had pain, the locked-up stiffness was totally gone which meant I could walk again. Today, after 5 weeks, the pain is drastically improved and I hope this continues. Today I went out to see how far I could walk, and I made it 4 kms. I also experienced no side effects coming onto this medication. I would also suggest anyone with RA check out the Paddison program. Clint Paddison developed very severe RA at 31 and got to full remission and off of all of his medications in only two years. You can do it too!!"

taydye4 May 14, 2018

For Psoriatic Arthritis: "Started Sulfasalazine, three weeks ago, I have been feeling quite ill, flu like, drained of energy, mornings are like the worst hangover feeling, my joints are never like before with constant pain, tiredness never leaves me, some diarrhoea, is this drug for me?"

Jazz (taken for less than 1 month) May 10, 2018

For Not Listed / Other: "Have been taking Sulfasalazine for about two months for spondyloarthritis. Not only has it made no difference to joint/muscle pain, but it has severely worsened my fatigue. I feel like I have flu constantly. Also causing terrible thirst. Hoping things will improve with time, but so far not at all encouraging."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 16, 2018

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Diagnosed 2010 lots medications and wore ear muffs daily. In 2017 I began methotrexate and became ill along with neurotin and 2 Tylenol 2 times a day with ear muffs. Now after week 1 of just the sulfa I stop the ear muffs but when I got to week 2 and added the hydrochloriquine I needed the ear muffs again. My head hurts bad, constipated and with hair loss and more pain. So I stopped the hydrochloriquine. Today I took a pill called Ultimate Immunity along with Sulfasalizine 2 pills 2 times a day, 1prednisone, 1folic acid. I make a mustard pack and put under my feet at bed time and 1 fiber capsule no ear muffs. The moral to this is finding what works for RA and how to treat the side affects. I put mustard on a paper towel in put in the pit of my feet at night for the headaches. The fiber is for constipation the ultimate immunity is for the immune system and the rest is prescribe for the RA and hair loss I'm 2 months in and LOVING IT. In my opinion hydrochloriquine stops the sulfasalazine from working"

Mrs. Williams March 15, 2018

For Ulcerative Colitis: "I had never heard something postive about this medication for colitis but I had to find out myself. From day 2 I started using sulfasalazine I got super watery bowel movement. It worsened over time including blood. My doctor told that it had to take around a month to be fully working so I kept taking them. I had to go 25-30 times and even at night. The bloating started and there was so much gas in my stomach I was in real pain. On the 4th week I got a high fever. I stopped the medication, but the fever lasted a week and I had a mild stomach bleeding. When I started it again I got a fever within 6 hours. Also my hair was falling out in chunks and my beard thinned out heavily. It worsened my life in the past 2 months. I was taking 2000mg"

Millop February 15, 2018

For Crohn's Disease: "I took this drug every single day for 20 years and had no problems or side effects at all. I cannot get any Doctor to Prescribe it because they say it is too dangerous I say they make NO money so they want you to do the IV's that cost a fortune if you do not have insurance."

Magnus2112 February 5, 2018

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Awful drug!! I was on this drug for 2 months. Started at one tablet a day then increased to 2 tablets a day equaling 1,000 mg. It seemed to help some with joint pain but the side effects were awful. Intense migraines from the start then a few a days ago, I had to call an ambulance as I felt like I was having a heart attack and couldn't breathe. I was vomiting as well. My liver enzymes were through the roof and now they think I have liver damage. I'm due to have a liver biopsy soon. Run, run far away from this med!!"

Sweetchksgrl (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 31, 2018

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I’ve been on sulfasalazine for RA for about 10 weeks. I increased the dose gradually over 3 weeks. Once I reached the full dose (2000 mg/day) I started noticing side effects. Mostly headaches/nausea. I decided to try to stick it out and I’m so glad I did. Eventually side effects went away as I adjusted to the med. Over the past week I’ve felt better than I have in years! Still have joints that sore, but the symptoms I have are very mild compared to what they once were. Hoping this continues to improve over the next few months."

Cbshah January 22, 2018

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Started taking Sulfasalazine about 5 month ago, doubled the dose just last month. It's not working, I"m getting worse!"

Cyrus 1 January 19, 2018

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Been on six a day lot of help. don’t feel much better after 2 years on them they don’t do enough for you there is drug called the liquid gold I have spoke to people they are normal again no aches pains stiffness etc. But only the queen and Simon Cowell and rich will get them I been told it’s costs £36000 per year for years course of tablets !"

Nunny50essex (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 1, 2017

For Ulcerative Colitis: "I was on Lialda and in remission for over two years, unfortunately insurance doesn’t cover it anymore. No flares, but I do have canker sores all over my mouth, swollen lips and red splotches in my face that itch. I had to stop and now waiting for another prescription."

GUblues November 26, 2017

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Ended up in ER for falling on concrete reason dizziness and drop in red blood cell and more."

Worse November 21, 2017