User Reviews for Sulfasalazine to treat Ulcerative Colitis

Also known as: Azulfidine, Azulfidine EN-tabs

Sulfasalazine has an average rating of 5.5 out of 10 from a total of 18 ratings for the treatment of Ulcerative Colitis. 44% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 39% reported a negative effect.

Sulfasalazine Rating Summary

5.5/10 average rating

Compare all 116 medications used in the treatment of Ulcerative Colitis.

Reviews for Sulfasalazine

Jp · Taken for 10 years or more July 28, 2019

“I’ve been using salazopyrin (sulfasalazine) for over 30 years for my ulcerative colitis. This drug has kept me in long periods of remission. I have tried other treatments but my colitis responds to this drug best. No side effects. My theory is if it works stick to it. I take 3 in the morning after breakfast and 3 at night after dinner. This drug has been my saviour to a relatively normal life:)”

Evansy · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 6, 2019

“Noticed after 1 month my blood was going away and my stools near normal. No side effects. I take one pill morning and night daily. Have my energy back and I am back outdoors doing what I love again instead of looking for a toilet.”

rowney September 18, 2009

Sulfazine (sulfasalazine): “I have been using salazopyrin for many years and have found it excellent. I am in remission at the moment and am taking 2 tablets a day as a 'holding' dose. I move it up to 5 or 6 when I have an episode which can last for up to a year.”

hershmendel · Taken for 10 years or more August 21, 2018

“I have been taking sas or sulfasalazine entabs for over 40 years, 9-12 pills a day-(500 mg each) which is more like a Crohn's dose It has handled my ulcerative colitis perfectly. Over the years, I tried to wean off of it, because I felt so good. The symptoms returned. I'm back on the pills. No problem whatsoever .I have tried other pills, (asacol and others I don't remember) None worked as well. It's effective and safe. No side effects that I notice. I am a male , 65 years old. I play hockey 3 times a week. This drug is why I lead a normal life. The low dosages did nothing for me.(anything below 4000 mg per day)”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month August 25, 2012

Sulfazine (sulfasalazine): “Upon taking sulfasalazine I experienced a severe headache, dizziness, bruising on my feet and legs, chills, blood shot eyes, pain in my joints, hives and swelling in my face and neck. The headache became so bad I could not get out of bed.”

K.D.L. February 1, 2017

“I have taken sulfasalazine for 40 yrs. It worked OK on my u.c. until I had a flair up. I would have to take 8 pills a day for months. My urine was always orange and Medicaid only paid for a limited number of pills per month. After much research this year, I tried a probiotic for my gut. I found that one probiotic (45 billion active cultures) a day did a better job of keeping the u.c. at bay. I can eat vegetables I couldn't before. I have less gas and more normal bowel movements. I quit taking the sulfasalazine because it interfered with the probiotic. I haven't had a problem these last 6 months even with excessive stress.”

sarahyue April 7, 2014

Sulfazine (sulfasalazine): “I have been taking this medication for a while now, along with Azathioprine and Prednisone. Just today I stopped the Prednisone, after decreasing by a half each week. I experienced some remission of the Prednisone after I was at 2 and 1/2 pills, and bumped it back up to 5. I haven't experienced any bad side effects of the Sulfazine, and my only complaint is that it is really chalky. I am 13, and was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis almost a year ago.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 3, 2017

“This medicine has completely turned my life around! Just when I was losing hope I started this medication 1000mg 4 times a day. I went from having severe gas pain, blood, mucas, a lot of BM, and uncomfortable distended stomach after I ate to EVERY symptom GONE after the first month of taking this medication! The only side effect I've experienced is the first few days of starting the medicine I had really bad stomach upset but after day 4 my body started to adjust and I had my first normal BM in almost a year! I also get headaches randomly but ibuprofen always knocks it out. Totally worth giving it a shot!”

Millop February 15, 2018

“I had never heard something postive about this medication for colitis but I had to find out myself. From day 2 I started using sulfasalazine I got super watery bowel movement. It worsened over time including blood. My doctor told that it had to take around a month to be fully working so I kept taking them. I had to go 25-30 times and even at night. The bloating started and there was so much gas in my stomach I was in real pain. On the 4th week I got a high fever. I stopped the medication, but the fever lasted a week and I had a mild stomach bleeding. When I started it again I got a fever within 6 hours. Also my hair was falling out in chunks and my beard thinned out heavily. It worsened my life in the past 2 months. I was taking 2000mg”

GUblues November 26, 2017

“I was on Lialda and in remission for over two years, unfortunately insurance doesn’t cover it anymore. No flares, but I do have canker sores all over my mouth, swollen lips and red splotches in my face that itch. I had to stop and now waiting for another prescription.”

JooJoo · Taken for 10 years or more September 12, 2019

“I've been taking sulfasalzine for too many years; but it keeps mu ulcerative colitis in remission. I take 8 a day.”

SouthTexas · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 5, 2018

Sulfazine (sulfasalazine): “I have been taking Sulfazine for colitis for the past two months. I've have not had any noticeable side effects. The medication has decreased my symptoms dramatically.”

Anonymous January 27, 2011

Sulfazine (sulfasalazine): “Had terrible allergic reaction to this medicine, within a week of taking it. Felt terrible itching inside out.”

Anonymous April 19, 2011

“This has worked really well to maintain my symptoms and no real side effects.”

Jing2 · Taken for less than 1 month December 19, 2015

Azulfidine (sulfasalazine): “severe headache (seems like my head is gonna explode) nausea & vomiting”

Lianne78 September 22, 2017

“I just got my meds changed today cause for some reason these one irritate me down below with stinging after peeing ”

mpsprowl · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 28, 2014

“The only positives I have personally is no side effects and less expensive than other medications for ulcerative colitis. ”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 20, 2017

“It helped a little for a couple months but didn't have as much effect as me and my GI specialist had hoped. After the couple months it became completely uneffective.”

Rita Moore April 30, 2017

“It wasn't helpful at all very useful.”

Learn more about Ulcerative Colitis