User Reviews for Sulfasalazine to treat Crohn's Disease

Also known as: Azulfidine, Azulfidine EN-tabs

Sulfasalazine has an average rating of 8.2 out of 10 from a total of 9 ratings for the treatment of Crohn's Disease. 78% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 11% reported a negative effect.

Sulfasalazine Rating Summary

8.2/10 average rating

Compare all 110 medications used in the treatment of Crohn's Disease.

Reviews for Sulfasalazine

thwackster · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 30, 2019

“Diagnosed with Crohn's over a year ago and was in pain daily. Still waiting on insurance to cover gastro and surgery. In the meantime, my PCP offered up sulfasalazine and I agreed to try it. It's the first time I've been symptom free in years. I barely have any bloating or pain anymore and I have almost normal bowel movements again. I did feel an attack coming on so he added prednisone for two weeks and everything calmed back down. As long as I'm taking this and not eating too many processed foods or heavy meats, I'm good. As far as I'm concerned, this drug has been a miracle for me.”

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 13, 2014

“Severe flare put me in the hospital. Have had no problems in 9 months of taking sulfasalazine went against doctors advice choose this over stronger medication. All labs have been good since. Also got a new doctor!”

eric017 May 24, 2013

“I tried Lialda, Pentasa, and a few other medicines for my moderate Crohn's Disease and they all made it worse. I tried Sulfasalazine and I am symptom free as long as I don't forget to take any doses. If I miss a dosage I may have some loose stool but after I go back to taking it I once again am symptom free.”

ljerrnbf5 February 1, 2016

“I've only been taking this for 2 1/2 weeks but I'm very impressed that my chronic loose stools have completely stopped! I've noticed no negative side effects and if mild constipation is a side effect, I welcome it. I am now taking a little less loperamide and I'll be experimenting to see if increasing dosages of sulfasalizine will enable me to take even less loperamide. Later I'll get blood tests to make sure the new drug isn't having negative effects that I don't notice. After all these years dealing with diarrhea, I'm so grateful my doc suggested I try this stuff!”

Magnus2112 February 5, 2018

“I took this drug every single day for 20 years and had no problems or side effects at all. I cannot get any Doctor to Prescribe it because they say it is too dangerous I say they make NO money so they want you to do the IV's that cost a fortune if you do not have insurance.”

Mike $321 February 1, 2017

“My doc said, "let's try sulfafalazine ".So we did, and I've been on 1000mg three times a day. Don't even realize I have Crohns disease most of the time. (Recommended). There is that other part where everyone gets a different reaction thoe..... .”

Amrhymer March 25, 2017

“Have been on several medications over the years. This being one of them. Was taken off about 9 years ago. Went to many others over next 6 years. Was put on lialda 2 years ago with worsening symptoms. More pain and distended belly. Went to emergency room for 4 the time in three months. Asked my doctor about putting me back on this. I shouldn't be having this many issues. Its been 2 days on salfasazine cypro, flagyl and zofran. Stomach is half its size. Way less pain and eating chicken and stars soup. Yeah.”

rd · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 22, 2020

“Came down with crohns disease a year ago. Dr put me on mesalamine at $400.00 a month. Told her l needed a cheaper med. Put me on sulfasalazine at 3000 mg a day but only $16.00 a month. Works just as well if not better than mesalamine.”

Crohny · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 17, 2018

“I was getting gastric blockages quite often that caused a lot of pain and put me in the hospital on more than one occasion. I wasn’t diagnosed with crohns until after my surgery. After surgery my GI doctor gave me a couple of prescriptions for medicine that wasn’t covered under my insurance and I could not afford. We settled on sulfasazaline. I have been taking this stuff for 8 months now. I go to the restroom now more than ever. I noticed that if I would miss a dose or two, I didn’t have to use the restroom so much. This medicine caused bloating, strange noises in my abdomen, constant diarrhea, and abdominal pain. I recently took myself off the drug and feel my best since surgery. I’m waiting for my next appointment with my GI doctor to discuss other medicine or no medicine at all.”

bluenoyellow · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 7, 2018

“Sulfasalazinemade me have to go to the bathroom every couple of hours. Felt even more bloated than before”

Learn more about Crohn's Disease