User Reviews for Sulfasalazine to treat Psoriatic Arthritis

Also known as: Azulfidine, Azulfidine EN-tabs

Sulfasalazine has an average rating of 5.5 out of 10 from a total of 17 ratings for the treatment of Psoriatic Arthritis. 41% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 41% reported a negative effect.

Sulfasalazine Rating Summary

5.5/10 average rating

Compare all 62 medications used in the treatment of Psoriatic Arthritis.

Reviews for Sulfasalazine

pinkhairedanalyst · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 1, 2019

“My doc started me on this since it’s the weakest medication with the least amount of side effects you can be on for autoimmune conditions. Docs aren’t fond of methotrexate in young adult females either (I’m a 23 year old female). I have PsA, and it’s a night and day difference with this medication. I take 3 pills twice daily. My inflammation markers have decreased by 7 points and .2 points on the other. Life changing medication and I no longer feel like garbage. If you don’t like the idea of side effects, start with this first. Every body processes medications different, but you don’t know until you try it.”

Jbm61 June 25, 2014

“After being on methotrexate and Humira I experienced no relief as well as a SEVERE LIFE THREATENING episode called Ludwigs Angina, ended up in a coma for 4 days, and was told if I had waited 1/2 hr longer to go to ER, I probably wouldn't have survived! I swore off all arthritic medicines for a year, except for pain medicines. Rheumatologist understood, and after a year suggested we start back very passively as opposed to aggressively to treatment. She suggested SSZ (sulfasalazine) and I reluctantly agreed. I was told it could take up to 3-4 months before I would see any improvement. Within 3 weeks I felt like a new person, I've been on it for a year and feel wonderful!”

Lora S. · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 15, 2013

“I LOVE THIS MEDICINE! I had tried many medicines before this including methotrexate which was HORRIBLE-they all made me so ill. I only had loose stools at the start of treatment as a side effect, no others. I take it alone, without NSAIDs and it manages all my pain and swelling like a champ. I have had no flares and I take 2 in the morning and 2 in the evening. My hair also stopped falling out after the 1st 2 months of taking it. It literally changed my life without shutting down my immune system. I could not be happier.”

Hilara April 7, 2016

“I was on sulfasalazine after being diagnosed with PSA. My first arthritis medication. I was also experiencing reactive arthritis when first diagnosed. I started at 1 tablet 2 times a day. I had some quite adverse reactions to start, trouble sleeping and nausea. Rheumatologist suggested humeria. After reading up on humeria I decided it was worth trying to soldier through a longer trial period with sulfasalazine before switching, eating plain food etc. to minimise impacts of side effects. So glad I did. Now at 4 tabs/day. All the side effects are now gone and I can eat normally. Sulfasalazine has reduced joint inflammation to the point that I can exercise. I recommend giving sulfasalazine side effects a bit of time to equalize.”

Shed987 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 13, 2017

“Was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis at 28 years old. In a span of about 8 weeks I had 3 joint flare ups. At first I just thought I jammed a few few fingers, but after having the same issue in my toe (and the fact they weren't healing) I finally saw a doctor who recommended a rheumatologist and I was diagnosed. Took a while to take effect, but I started noticing a difference at 10 weeks. After 10 weeks, sulfasalazine plus 660 mg naproxen sodium was enough for my fingers to feel 85% normal. After 4 months my joints felt 85% on sulfasalazine alone. By 6 months it's as if I don't have arthritis at all. Truly miracle drug.”

DannyBoy718 September 16, 2015

“I'm a 31 year old male. I've had Little to no side effects. I had loose stool for the first week other than that I've had no problems. I wouldn't say it's a miracle drug but it has relieved my pain significantly within the first 2 weeks. My wife is happy because I complain about a 1/4 as much lol. Still have some lower back pain but my neck pain has pretty much disappeared. The rest of my body feels better but like I said not 100% (that may be because I'm getting older, who knows lol). Very thankful for this drug. I've been on it for about 4 months.”

Anonymous February 29, 2012

“I never got to the full dosage of 2 pills twice a day. I was slowly increasing the dosage from one pill once to one pill once... that's as far as I got. The side effects were horrible. My mother, a breast cancer survivor, likened my side effects to chemo. My mind couldn't focus. I couldn't sleep, yet I was always drowsy. I always noticed that the side effects would ease about 6 hours after taking, then would show 30 min after taking. I finally gave up, and changed meds.”

Jelly B · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 12, 2014

“I slowly increased the dose weekly. I was ok on 2 a day but once increased to 3 my eyesight got a little worse. I reduced them for while then slowly up to 4 a day. The nausea was terrible I also felt really ill and very tired but didn't know why. Had to take time off work I felt so bad. Lowered dose to 2 again and was better but once I tried to increase it again the nausea and ill feelings came back. Stopped them and eventually felt better. Didn't realise just how bad they had affected me until I was back to normal again!”

Mumswallet · Taken for 10 years or more March 20, 2017

“Been a psoriatic arthritis sufferer these last twenty years. My flare ups are dreadful. After taking them for just two weeks symptoms are abated; it really works for me despite convincing my new GP I knew what I was on about! Methotrexate was awful. No side effects with SULFASALAZINE with me. After three months no pain at all....but one needs to drink lots of water. I've had periods on and off this drug, all due to flare ups...”

Andy · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 25, 2018

“This worked great for about 10 days, then I started getting nerve pain and had to discontinue, but it completely cured my Psoriasis and Psoriatic Arthritis after just ten days! I was symptom free for almost two years. Things started drifting back again and I used it at lower doses, it always helps some, but I just can't stay on it due to the nerve pain in my legs.”

Mumof3 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 30, 2018

“Diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis (PsA) at 44, had nail psoriasis since 14 years old. Forced to stop Methotrexate at week 8 due to hair loss. Switched to Sulfasalazine 7 months ago on 2000mg. 4 months on 2000mg per day but no improvement but also no side effects. At 5 months I developed plantar fasciitis, severe fatigue, apathy, low mood and stiffness throughout my whole body. I was told it was the PsA. I put on a stone in weight - I am 5ft 2ins and normally weigh 9 stone. I felt and moved like a woman twice my age. I gave up on sulfasalazine a week ago. The next day, I felt a different person, and have felt better again with each passing day. Fatigue has gone, mood lifted, stiffness lessened and the joint pain significantly reduced. Whilst I still have some joint pain, stiffness and sore feet, I am significantly better in myself since coming off this drug. I start Otezla tomorrow.”

fighterpilot June 21, 2021

“I have psoriatic arthritis last 10 years at the start sulfasalazine did wonders on my rather bigger joints and but after 1 year of use only relieved up to an extend on my finger joints. After 10 years I had multiple disc herniations because my spine got hit by the disease silently and it progressed without giving any signs. So an annual MRI scan is always recommended. I went back to sulfasalazine. Let me give you some tips on sulfasalazine: pros: *well tolerated on most people *medium efficacy *prevents bone and cartilage erosion unlike NSAID's *can be used long term on a sensible dose *your best bet before biologics *liver toxicity lower than methotrexate cons: *efficiency drops after a year. *does not stop disease progress or new joints added. *does not work on spine or axial joints. *works less on smaller joints such as hands. *affect blood count results. *less anti inflammatory than methotrexate”

Seahorse02 · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 29, 2019

“Have been on sulfasalazine now for approx 6 weeks, 2000mg/day. Not seeing much improvement, joints still swell badly. Pain in shoulder kept me awake tonight. Acid reflux, which I had prior to this medication, has significantly worsened. Overall not pleased with sulfasalazine.”

Jazz · Taken for less than 1 month May 10, 2018

“Started Sulfasalazine, three weeks ago, I have been feeling quite ill, flu like, drained of energy, mornings are like the worst hangover feeling, my joints are never like before with constant pain, tiredness never leaves me, some diarrhoea, is this drug for me?”

Rich N. January 13, 2016

“I was recently diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis at the age of 45. Very early stages according to my doctor. He placed me on Sulfasalazine. Started 1 pill per day for 2 weeks then 2 a day the next week then 3x per day the following week. When I made it to the 3x per day I had a terrible reaction. Severe nausea, headaches, and sensitivity to light and noticed I felt weak and was about to go to the emergency room. I stopped immediately and felt better within days. I'm diabetic and tested my blood sugar and did notice a massive drop on this medication. The symptoms I was having could have been low blood sugar. The sulfasalazine may have reacted to my metformin to cause low blood sugar. I was switched to Plaquenil.”

cmurf62 · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 31, 2018

“I am starting Sulfasalazine for the second time as the first time I ended up coming down with the flu a couple of times so decided to wait. My symptoms have been worse so just started it again. I am on my last day of two pills in the morning and one in the evening. No real bad side effects other than increased joint aching, especially in hip. I had a lot of trouble sleeping last night as I just couldn't get comfortable at all. I'm supposed to increase gradually up to three pills in the morning and three at night. I will have to see how it goes though. I am not really patient when it comes to side effects.”

Aussie Beau · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 5, 2017

“Trialled this medicine for Psoriatic arthritis for approx 6 months in combination with Methotrexate and Hydroxychloroquinine. While no major side effects there was no clinical efficacy either so therapy was discontinued.”

tocha23 · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 7, 2012

“I too am using sulfasalazine for psoriatic arthritis and it has helped somewhat and I too have ringing in my ears. Suffice to say it has helped so I do recommend it.”

aggravated October 22, 2015

“can't tell much difference if any”

Learn more about Psoriatic Arthritis