User Reviews for Sulfasalazine to treat Rheumatoid Arthritis

Also known as: Azulfidine, Azulfidine EN-tabs

Sulfasalazine Rating Summary

5.0/10 Average Rating

Compare all 306 medications used in the treatment of Rheumatoid Arthritis.

Reviews for Sulfasalazine

Jax · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 4, 2020

“Avoid sulfasalazine it gave me chronic pancreatitis almost finished me off and now I'm diabetic due to this drug!”

RRLE · Taken for 5 to 10 years June 24, 2020

“This sulfasalazine is the fifth or sixth drug my doc put me on. It seems to be helping, but I can still feel my joints getting worse, just not as fast as they were. I had my first knee pains when I was 9 years old. I was told it was just growing pains. IMHO, there is no such thing as growing pains. I have been on sulfasalazine for well over five years now. It does not make me sick, lose my hair, dizzy, or more grumpy then normal...for me anyway. It works well as long as you are not allergic to sulfur.”

Eddie · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 2, 2020

“After taking sulfasalazine for 9 months I don't feel any better. Severe pain in shoulder, elbows, hands & feet. Don't know what next step will be. Any recommendations?”

Ed · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 19, 2020

“I reacted poorly to sulfasalazine. My fiancee expressed that it had some weird cognitive effects on me, as if I were on heavy opioids or recovering from anesthesia. For my part, I felt like I was moving through molasses for the four months I was on it. I got really fatigued regularly, too, and experienced tightness in my chest that left me after I stopped the drug. It didn't provide much relief.”

Inflame62 · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 16, 2020

“Been on this sulfasalazine for RA for 4 years have now and for last 6 months sharp cramping pain in stomach right of navel. I don’t if anyone else has had this problem plus pain under left rib. Seriously thinking of packing it in joints no improvement either also dry itchy upper feet. Also been taking it without folic acid a which is advisable apparently , but which I didn’t know about.This drug can cause folate deficiency and vit-b12 deficiency too.Horrible drug.”

Pattonpi · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 29, 2020

“After 2 years of taking this drug with little relief I stopped taking it.”

Jamie · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 11, 2019

“I've dealt with joint pains and swelling of my joints that on and off forced me to use crutches at only 22 years old. (And several other symptoms) Predinisone was the only medication helping me deal with the worst of my pains. My doctor suggested I start taking sulfasalazine about 5 months ago and I was shocked at my results. I haven't felt this healthy in a very long time. Sulfasalazine helped me getting my life back and I am so grateful for my results. I've had no side effects that Ive noticed except for the headaches I got when I started taking the medication.”

JB · Taken for less than 1 month December 10, 2019

“My mum was started on sulfasalazine 4 weeks ago for RA with severe bilateral hand pain and swelling. Initially everything was fine but when the dose was increased in the 2nd week to 500mg twice a day her mood started to deteriorate and developed symptoms of plantar fascitis. She became bed bound and in the fourth week developed flu like symptoms together with rash on the upper torso and feet. Her medication was stopped as the initial worry was that she may have Steven Johnson syndrome. Luckily it was not this. Her symptoms of plantar fascitis improved since stopping this drug so we suspect it was most likely symptoms due to sulfasalazine. The Rheumatologist now want to start my mum on methotrexate but at the moment we are holding back and symptoms are being controlled with prednisone.”

Runnergirl · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 25, 2019

Azulfidine (sulfasalazine): “56 yo female diagnosed with RA two years ago. Before the diagnosis I had severe pain in my hands, arms, shoulders, knees, ankles and legs. I really thought I was going in the direction of a wheelchair. I had been a runner but never thought I would run again. After about six months of being on the medicine Azilfidine I was able to start running again. This year in July, I qualified for the Boston Marathon! Something I’ve only dreamt about, thank you so much for the medicine!!”

NZNurse28 · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 11, 2019

“Update from 2017. My husband is still taking Sulfasalazine after almost three years. Along with the Minocycline. He has no symptoms of RA and no joint damage whatsoever. However after an episode of severe kidney/back pain in the night last week I took him to ER. A CT showed one stone in his right kidney and one stone in his bladder. Kidney stones are a known side effect of Sulfasalazine. He has cut down to two 500mg a day but because he continues to have back spasms and chest pain he has been put on a week of Prednisone. The previous episode in 2017 was actually diagnosed as Anaemia of Chronic Disease and treated with Prednisone. He now has it again. Seriously considering stopping the Sulfasalazine as most of his episodes can be attributed to this drug. Still no other symptoms of RA.”

Peggy90 · Taken for less than 1 month September 10, 2019

“I’ve been on the good injection for years which has been amazing. Due to it not been sold anymore, they have put me on Sulfasalizine I’m on 3 a day now and have constant headaches, pain in my neck no energy at all And loss of appetite. I’m dreading taking 4 next week. I just hope my body can adjust to the medication and no side affects”

Harry August 11, 2019

“Salfasalazine worked on me for 2 years after 2 years it shows allergic reactions on my legs under the knee. Doctor discontinued it for further treatment. Now he prescribed me leflunomide 10mg.”

Sam · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 28, 2019

“Been using the sulfasalazine medicine for 45 days now, dose 2+0+2 per day. It has reduced my pain significantly but I feel nauseated, exhausted and lost my appetite.”

Kjay · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 8, 2019

“Diagnosed with RA 2013. Managed on hydroxy & kenalog injections until last year when wrists, neck & knees were in constant pain. Started on sulphasalazine last September - kenalog injection initially reduced pain & swelling until it kicked in & apart from a couple of blood issues sulfasalazine has been great. No daily side effects at all but when reached 4 daily my neutrophils decreased to an unacceptable low. I’m now settled on 3/day rather than 4 & it’s seems to be working for me.”

Penny · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 4, 2019

“Was on this drug sulfasalazine for RA, although the real problem was severe carpel tunnel in both wrists. Two month after starting the drug my blood tests started showing liver damage, I am now awaiting a liver biopsy. Little improvement in liver damage after 8 weeks off the drug.”

Sandra · Taken for less than 1 month May 23, 2019

“It’s only been a few weeks, and sulfasalazine has has stopped the shooting pain in my wrist, along with bad cramping in my fingers and thumb, that was waking me up at night. While the swelling in my hands and feet hasn’t gone down much, I’m enjoying the relief and feel grateful. I just now started the two-a-days but am optimistic about my ability to stay active. I’ve only experienced a little nausea so far, and it’s worth it. Headed to the gym to see what I can do!”

Ppit · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 17, 2019

“sulfasalazine had too many side effects and was not effective for my rheumatoid arthritis”

Bux · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 18, 2019

“Finally got dx serum-negative RA (on top of 20 years fibro) almost 3 years ago. Flunked methotrexate (night terrors!); on Plaquenil x2, but still had immobilizing pain. Added Leflunomide, still stiff & painfilled. Add in Tramodol - discovered it's an OPIOD and got off it asap. Using Medrol dose packs (prednisone) for severe Fibro+RA flare. Finally building endurance for standing/walking. Then RA dr puts Sulfasalazine in my med mix. Can't walk 30 steps without severe muscle pain (like I did a 10Km run?). Can't stand >2 minutes. Not fun! Emailing dr to get me off of SZS. I am so frustrated; I have even lost wt (30+ pounds) and still feel like my muscles are wasted.”

painfree plz · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 6, 2019

“I thought my head was going to explode. I started at 2 a day then went up to 4 a day. I been on it for about a month, now. But not taking it anymore, been unable to go to work for 3 days now,,,,run run - do not take - it is too much,”

jonnyohio · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 29, 2019

“Was diagnosed with RA in July 2018, started on Plaquenil a couple weeks after, then in December 2018 they started me on the sulfasalazine. I was very gassy when starting out. It took me 6 weeks to go from 500mg per day to 2000mg. My symptoms were pretty severe in July 2018, and it took about 4 months for Plaquenil to do anything. At about 6 weeks on sulfasalazine, I started getting improvements. I'm now at 9 weeks and I went all day and barely had any joint pain. The only thing that sucks is it seems to be making my GERD symptoms a little worse at times still. I'm hoping that this will gradually decline in the next few weeks though. Other than that, I get a bit drowsy and seem to sleep longer on this. But so far I'm pretty happy with it.”

Bec · Taken for less than 1 month January 9, 2019

“Diagnosed with RA 9 years ago. Have been on hydroxycloroquine and methotrexate- had liver problems so have had to come off the metho. Started this drug 2 and a half weeks ago. Mild symptoms at first nothing too bad but 3 days ago I upped the dose as prescribed and have had intense head and neck pain since. Pain has been so bad I was taken into hospital last night. They gave me codeine, oromorph diazepam and it was still bad, eventually I had anti sickness and IV fluids and was able to sleep for a bit. On waking I felt improved although head and neck pain is still there. As yet I have not taken today’s dose as I’m actually scared the intense pain will return. Confused as what to do as very little guidance from specialist or GP! Frustrating”

Hurtinallthetime · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 6, 2019

“I started taking sulfasalazine (SZS) with Plaquenil 2 months ago for RA. Immediately felt dizzy, confused, nosebleed and depression and also severe vision changes. Bi-Weekly blood draws were a total painful waste of time. Then began a very intense ringing in my ears. Discontinued Plaquenil twice a day, and dropped the SZS from 4 per day to 3. I did get some relief from RA, but far from worth the suffering of the severe side effects. Ringing in my ears continued especially bad in the mornings. Stopped SZS 2 days ago and ears still ringing like crazy. I hope this stops soon as I am almost crazy with it. Both drugs are very nasty and I will never again take either of these drugs. Appointment with Rheumitologist as soon as the ringing stops. She suggested an appointment with Audiologist to address the tinnitus. I know it is the SZS causing it. Going to try a different treatment, might as well go all the way at this point. Not ruling out Humira or another Biologic.”

taydye4 May 14, 2018

“After 6 months of symptoms I was diagnosed with RA 5 weeks ago and started this medication immediately. The pain was primarily affecting my feet, ankles, and toes, and I had been totally unable to walk for the whole 6 months. After about 3 weeks I noticed a major improvement. Although I still had pain, the locked-up stiffness was totally gone which meant I could walk again. Today, after 5 weeks, the pain is drastically improved and I hope this continues. Today I went out to see how far I could walk, and I made it 4 kms. I also experienced no side effects coming onto this medication. I would also suggest anyone with RA check out the Paddison program. Clint Paddison developed very severe RA at 31 and got to full remission and off of all of his medications in only two years. You can do it too!!”

Mrs. Williams March 15, 2018

“Diagnosed 2010 lots medications and wore ear muffs daily. In 2017 I began methotrexate and became ill along with neurotin and 2 Tylenol 2 times a day with ear muffs. Now after week 1 of just the sulfa I stop the ear muffs but when I got to week 2 and added the hydrochloriquine I needed the ear muffs again. My head hurts bad, constipated and with hair loss and more pain. So I stopped the hydrochloriquine. Today I took a pill called Ultimate Immunity along with Sulfasalizine 2 pills 2 times a day, 1prednisone, 1folic acid. I make a mustard pack and put under my feet at bed time and 1 fiber capsule no ear muffs. The moral to this is finding what works for RA and how to treat the side affects. I put mustard on a paper towel in put in the pit of my feet at night for the headaches. The fiber is for constipation the ultimate immunity is for the immune system and the rest is prescribe for the RA and hair loss I'm 2 months in and LOVING IT. In my opinion hydrochloriquine stops the sulfasalazine from working”

Sweetchksgrl · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 31, 2018

“Awful drug!! I was on this drug for 2 months. Started at one tablet a day then increased to 2 tablets a day equaling 1,000 mg. It seemed to help some with joint pain but the side effects were awful. Intense migraines from the start then a few a days ago, I had to call an ambulance as I felt like I was having a heart attack and couldn't breathe. I was vomiting as well. My liver enzymes were through the roof and now they think I have liver damage. I'm due to have a liver biopsy soon. Run, run far away from this med!!”

Learn more about Rheumatoid Arthritis

Symptom checker

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)