User Reviews for Hydroxychloroquine to treat Lyme Disease, Arthritis

Also known as: Plaquenil

Hydroxychloroquine has an average rating of 8.0 out of 10 from a total of 8 ratings for the treatment of Lyme Disease, Arthritis. 75% of those users who reviewed Hydroxychloroquine reported a positive effect, while 13% reported a negative effect.

Hydroxychloroquine Rating Summary

8.0/10 average rating

Compare all 23 medications used in the treatment of Lyme Disease, Arthritis.

Mickey · Taken for less than 1 month December 26, 2020

“Unbelievable! I’ve suffered with Lyme Disease for several years. 2 days ago I began taking Hydroxychloroquine for treatment of Covid-19 exposure. The first morning after I had taken 400 mg I felt fantastic! Even my neck pain was completely gone and I felt awake and alive! How can I get HCQ to treat Lyme? What’s the proper dose and length of treatment? Feels so good! Glad I got exposed to Covid19 (sniffles) and decided to do the HCQ treatment! Now I know it’s treating Lyme! Wow!”

Juli · Taken for less than 1 month September 13, 2020

“I started on Plaquenil 400 a day, about 10 days ago. Mild nausea after first dose but no side effects since. Slept good for first time in weeks yesterday and actually felt rested afterwards for first time in months with pain all but completely gone. I am weaning off steroids slowly while it gets in my system. Optimistic!”

d · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 9, 2020

“I took hydroxychloroquine for lyme arthritis for over a year. It completely cured me, all symptoms went away and I have my life back to normal.”

yankeedoodle · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 21, 2020

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine): “I took this drug Plaquenil for a longer period and nearly lost an eye. I had to have eye surgery the day it was discovered I had multiple retinal tears. I had to be awake for 1+ hours and had a bubble in my eye for 8 weeks. I have had continuing issues with my other eye, having laser surgery for tears (also awake) numerous times. It will be a threat for the rest of my life. I am afraid for the coronavirus patients (covid-19) that may need to take this medication, but if the other choice was death rather than potential blindness it is the only choice.”

Jason K · Taken for 5 to 10 years January 17, 2014

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine): “Plaquenil has been great for me. It has reduced the stiffness & swelling in hands & feet to almost nothing. Started at 200mg twice a day, and have since reduced to one time per day. I have a complete eye exam once a year to watch for possible retina side effects.”

jj120 January 26, 2012

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine): “I felt better than I have in 20 years! After 20 years on NSAIDS needed for Lyme arthritis, my kidneys were affected, and when I stopped NSAIDS cold turkey, it was amazing how much pain my body was in. Now a year into Plaquenil I feel like a new person. Get eyes checked every 6 months. Had a little visual aura two days ago, don't know if from Plaquenil, but getting it checked next week. Eye doctor said it wasn't serious.”

GoJ October 6, 2017

“I have been taking Hydroxychloroquine, 100 mg for several years off and on for chronic lyme which cranked up arthritis soon after being bitten approximately 50 times on the first exposure. This seems to help once my body has adjusted. Often I can feel that it must be working because it will seem to bring on a Herxheimer reaction now and then but overall, this drug has worked well for me.”

Snookey · Taken for less than 1 month September 25, 2014

“I have taken hydroxychloroquine for less than a month prescribed by my rheumatologist. As yet I see no improvement in arthritis symptoms but Dr. said it would take at least two months to see results. But like some of the others on this website I am experiencing thigh pain that is unbearable by afternoon and evening. It is almost impossible to navigate stairs. I did not have this pain before taking this.”

Anonymous July 25, 2011

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine): “I have Lyme disease. No side effects. Helped with the pain and tiredness associated. It helped increase the antibiotics effects. Great medicine.”