User Reviews for Hydroxychloroquine to treat Sjogren's Syndrome

Also known as: Plaquenil

Hydroxychloroquine has an average rating of 6.4 out of 10 from a total of 43 ratings for the treatment of Sjogren's Syndrome. 56% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 26% reported a negative effect.

Hydroxychloroquine Rating Summary

6.4/10 average rating

Compare all 5 medications used in the treatment of Sjogren's Syndrome.

Reviews for Hydroxychloroquine

lwinslow · Taken for 5 to 10 years May 2, 2013

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine): “Before Plaquenil, I would be in bed for days at a time, unable to move, excessive pain, ice cold, migraines, the whole gamut. My body felt ancient. At first the rheumatologist thought I had leukemia, then Lupus and rheumatoid athritis and finally biopsies started giving us a more refined treatment plan. With this medicine, I am in much less pain. I can walk for an hour at a time. I can shop for groceries again. I feel like I have a life again. I have had brief periods, never more than a month without it, and I know that life without the benefit of Plaquenil is no life at all. Yes, I have to see the retina specialist but in all this time, my eyes are fine. Don't hesitate to try it even though new treatments can be scary!”

Ohsooz · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 16, 2014

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine): “I was diagnosed with Sjogrens Syndrome 3 months ago. I also have rheumatoid Arthritis and Hashimotos. My rheumatologist prescribed Plaquenil in hopes to control all 3 conditions. I would say that Plaquenil has basically given me my life back. I suffer from debilitating joint pain, fatigue, brain fog and extreme anxiety. I had to quit working because as a high school teacher, brain fog and anxiety, are probably 2 of the worst things you should be dealing with when dealing with teenagers. I would give Plaquenil a 10, but I haven't been on it long enough to see the full effects. I continue to have more energy every day, I'm back to walking, as exercise, again and my joint pain is very well controlled.”

pjtremblay September 11, 2011

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine): “This medicine has changed my life. I'm a nurse with primary Sjogren's Syndrome. It took 10 years for a diagnosis and another 10 years for a rheumatologist to prescribe Plaquenil. I have never felt so good. Minimal joint point, lots of energy, able to sleep at night, what could be better! I was able to complete an eye exam for the first time in 9 years. I'm enjoying life pain free and with energy!”

Lumiya June 3, 2011

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine): “When I was diagnosed with Sjogren's it was advised I start taking Plaquenil. I avoided it for months because I felt I had enough symptoms already without any side effects from medication. However it became quickly apparent that the fatigue and pain were not going to allow me to continue working being in my twenties at the time, this was NOT an option so I gave in and gave the Rheumatologist my consent. 6 years later, I have no complaints. I work full time and on the occasions that I forget to take my Plaquenil for a day or two, I notice a substantial difference; pain, unbearable fatigue, etc. and overall being unable to find energy enough to live my daily life. I am completely derailed without it.”

Taylor · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 20, 2019

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine): “I’ve been on plaquenil 400mg once a day for 6 months now due to Sjogrens. If your are wondering how long the plaquenil takes to work, it took about 3 months before I starting feeling better. Now at 6 months I’m noticing more symptoms. I have a rash on my arms and my face feels like it’s burning but I don’t have a sunburn or anything. I’ve also noticed my eyebrows look like I have bleached them.”

Suzy · Taken for less than 1 month August 22, 2019

“I just had my yearly eye exam. Last year’s was just fine. This year I have the start of planquenil toxicity in both eyes. This in only one year. My Dr told me it is reversible at this point. What about those that don’t get frequent eye exams because of cost, etc. I was taken off it immediately and put on methotrexate. I am so fortunate to have such a careful Dr. Eye CT scans every other year. Please be very careful taking this drug. Be your own advocate if your Dr doesn’t think it’s important”

Annieoakley2 August 30, 2015

“I have been taking hydroxychloroquine for 6 Years. I have primary sjogren's, hashimoto's. Before, I was tired all the time and could not lift a 3 lb dumbbell. Sometimes I could barely walk, my neck, knees, elbows, etc. we're always in pain. The bottoms of my feet hurt - I dreaded getting out of bed in the morning. Initially I took 2 of the 200 mg tabs/day. Years later this was cut to 100mg/day. 3 weeks ago -- at my request - doc let me cut it in half to 50 mg/day. I am 58 years old go to the gym 4-5 X/week. Yesterday I did chest press w/ 60 lbs, heaved 50 lb barbell over head, did rows with 90 lbs... I love plaquenil.”

jjmcc367 · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 3, 2015

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine): “It also took ten years to diagnose correctly. At first I took 2- 200 mgs of Plaquenil and it gave me an irregular heartbeat. Discontinued for a few weeks, then rheumy asked me to try again, one 200 mgm every other day. After six weeks had improvement in CRP and sed rate, even though the doc didn't expect any improvement on that low dose. Then he increased me to one pill each day. It did increase my migraines so he said to take it before bedtime with anti-anxiety drug. Side effect.....sleeping much better.....wonderful side effect. Occasionally I have to take Tylenol during night if headache wakes me up. Now I realize my extreme dry mouth seems slightly improved. Joint pain and foot pain is much better. HAPPY!”

Christina · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 24, 2019

“I have taken 200 mg since 2016 and it definitely helps with fatigue and joint pain. BUT I have noticed that when women are given 400 mg they tend to have problems (including my daughter who had Lupus) but when she went down to 200 mg then they disappeared. I think doctors are over prescribing the amount and they should start out with 200 mg and then after 6 months (length of time it takes to fully work), if there is no difference, then a 100 mg increase (half a pill) added should be enough.”

nanfor April 25, 2011

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine): “I have been on Plaquenil 200 mg twice a day for 6 years and it has helped me tremendously. I couldn't get up from a chair or close my fists after being diagnosed with primary Sjogrens Syndrome. It took about a year, and I'm 90 % better. I am very careful to have a thorough eye exam every year to monitor potential ocular side effects. It is worth a try and the side effects are definitely less than long term steroid use.”

Anonymous February 26, 2012

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine): “It has taken about 6 weeks for this medicine to work, the benefits have been subtle. I noticed that I have been able to do more, get out more and have even cut back on a dose of painkillers, my head is clearer - I just sort of feel different, not miraculously different or anything, but just more my normal self. I am still severely allergic to the sun or any UV exposure and can be sick for days if I am not careful or if I do too much but I do believe the Plaquenil has helped and I have been on it for 2 months now so look forward to further benefits from this medicine. Only side effects are erratic blood sugar, if I don't eat regularly I go hypo - badly hypo, although my doctor said he has never heard of this, so perhaps it isn't related.”

reme June 7, 2014

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine): “I am only on Plaquenil a month now for primary Sjogren's Syndrome having been diagnosed in Jan 2014. So far I am feeling much better in that I am sleeping so much better. Before taking medication I would wake 5/6 times a night and found it difficult to go back to sleep now I only wake up once and go back almost immediately. This is the first thing that I have noticed and I know it is very early days as my Rheumatologist said it can take 2 months before any results.”

Sjogren's Sufferer · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 23, 2013

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine): “I have been on Ranbaxy generic Plaquenil for 11 months now. I don't think think it helps me very much, but I continue to take it because I am not experiencing any side effects. My condition is not well-controlled with this drug alone and I will soon start an additional DMARD after recently finding out I am intolerant of MTX. My battle with Sjogren's has been so much more than glandular issues. It has attacked my biliary system, causing me to lose my gall bladder and have complex issues with the pyloric valve, lower esophageal sphincter and sphincter of oddi. This causes a variety of symptoms such as bile and acid reflux, bile salt diarrhea, nausea, vomiting up bile and right upper quadrant abdominal pain. I have signs of kidney disease too”

SheriShort December 4, 2011

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine): “Plaquenil has given me back my quality of life. I think I've been on it for about 3 years now. However, I've recently stopped taking it as I am having flashes in one eye and don't have the money to see a retina specialist - or an eye Dr. for that matter. Now that I have stopped the medication, I am back to having constant pain throughout my body - especially in my joints...and in my bones, and I am exhausted and sleep a lot without feeling rested. As soon as I get my eyes checked and if my exam shows good results, I will be back on Plaquenil immediately.”

Babycakes1949 · Taken for 5 to 10 years September 9, 2016

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine): “I have been on Plaquenil for several years , first the generic Plaqenil has no coating to protect your stomach lining. If you have side affects first try brand . I know Dr. s Say there is no difference ."But" composition of the drug may not affect the effectiveness of drug but it will affect the way it is absorbed in your system. Which will affect your side affects.”

MissDW October 7, 2018

“I was on 400mg daily for my primary Sjogren's syndrome (pSS). It did help with some symptoms but I was experiencing severe fatigue, muscle pain & weakness; my rheumy said was from my pSS & Fibro. I had severe tinnitus, ear pain & fullness. Decreased mental wellness, suicidal ideation, severe anxiety, brain fog. I was on it for 1yr. I had horrible stabbing pains, electric shocks through my body, sometimes would make me scream. On the website it said these side effects may be rare but to discuss it with my doc. My rheumy told me I could not stop this med & that it wouldn't cause this problem & I need to stop doing research on the internet. So I cut my dose in half, after 6 months I was feeling better so I stopped the med completely. I found a new rheumy who confirmed that these are side effects, though not as frequent as others. I feel much better after being off of it. Some of my pSS symptoms have come back but I feel nowhere near as bad as I did when I was on hydroxychloroquine.”

SeattleN · Taken for 5 to 10 years May 21, 2015

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine): “I have been on this medication for approximately 8 years. Before I started this medicine I was in terrible shape. With Sjogren's syndrome as my primary autoimmune disease and rheumatoid arthritis as my secondary autoimmune disease I was in terrible persistent pain, had terrible joint ache and was incapacitated for about four months before finally being diagnosed and given this. Along with steroids, this medicine, and some regular doses of ibuprofen I found I was able to be mobile again, to go back to work and have a quality life again. I have not found that being on the same the dosage has lessened it's effectiveness over the last 8. During major flares especially, it would be near impossible to have a good, healthy life.”

Ninalitta May 27, 2013

“Been on it for 6 weeks. I hate taking medicines, but I've noticed huge differences. Cautiously optimistic. Apparently need to take it for 6 months to see full benefits. No sun sensitivity, rash on chest smaller, dry eyes minimal, vaginal dryness gone, ear dryness gone, nasal dryness and sinus dryness gone. Never been so happy to have snot,.... Sinus pain gone ,....joint pain still significant, but connective tissue pain minimal, and body stone fatgue reduces by 75 percent. Occasional gastic stuff, but not debilitating like before. I feel human again But cant wait to reduce dose and get off of it.”

Anonymous September 10, 2012

“I have been on generic hydroxychloroquine now for 2 years. I have primary Sjogrens and secondary diagnosis of Fibromyalgia. Apparently I had Sjogrens for over 10-15 years before doctors figured it out. If the Fibromyaligia hadn't hit me 3 years ago I guess I would still be suffering. I take 200 mg twice a day and it has helped me so much. I use it with Savella for my Fibro pain. The only problem I have is a slight buzzing or ringing in my ears. But I can work full time and have a normal life. Still get occasional pain in feet and legs but all and all feel great.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 24, 2012

“I ignored my doctor for months when he wrote this prescription. I finally started it after an eye doctor lectured me because I was seeing him for an immune response eye infection. He gave me a good talking to and agree with rheumatologist that I do in fact have the Sjogren's. So I started it and I can't believe I wasted those months not taking it! It is the only thing that has helped me! The only issue I have is I have been on 200mg 2 tablets twice day for about 6 months, and now they decreased it to 1 tablet twice a day. I'm a little nervous of the decrease because I don't want all that pain back!”

Chez · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 4, 2020

“I was on this hydroxychloroquine for 6 months and then suddenly developed severe itching (burning like sensation, worse than any itch I have ever had) and rash that went from my neck to my feet. It did help slightly with joint pain. The itching was worse than the joint pain, so I stopped taking it and the itch went away slowly.”

Sjogren'sGina May 27, 2015

“Before starting this medication, I felt deathbed tired. In my forties, I was ready to go home to heaven, that's how awful I felt. After starting n 200 mg, within a few months, the joint pain was almost completely gone and fatigue somewhat better. Doc bumped me up to 400 mg and now I'm still tired, but don't sleep 16 hours a day anymore at least. It's a life saver. (My other doctors are freaked out by the medicine, and think it's the cause of my problems, but they should have seen me before I was on it. I thank God for this medication!)”

SSSufferer · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 27, 2021

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine): “No side effects, but no apparent benefit, either. I quit when my ophthalmologist told me it can cause optic nerve damage and that anyone taking it should be given a retinal examination every six months -- which the rheumatologist who prescribed it wasn't doing.”

Finn · Taken for less than 1 month March 18, 2021

“I was just recently diagnosed with Sjogren's Syndrome. It has been a challenge to understand all of this. Does anyone else have a numbness and tingling feet and hands? My Dr says it is probably from chemo I had 9 years ago. Not sure I believe that. I was started on 200 mgs a day. Also had anyone experienced the possible heart complications from drug?”

Anonymous January 5, 2012

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine): “I have taken Paquenil for approximately 9 months and have started getting red peeling sores on my legs, thought it was psoriasis, but now I am unable to show my legs because the sores are so many. Stopped taking medicine for the past week, will be going to the doctor today.”

Learn more about Sjogren's Syndrome