User Reviews for Hydroxychloroquine

Also known as: Plaquenil, Quineprox

Learn more about Hydroxychloroquine.

Hydroxychloroquine Rating Summary

8.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 48 medications used in the treatment of Systemic Lupus Erythematosus.

Reviews for Hydroxychloroquine to treat Systemic Lupus Erythematosus

"I was diagnosed with Sjogrens and systemic lupus some 5 years ago after 3 years of tests etc. Initially was on 40mg plaquenil and 30 mg predisinole(steroids). After 2 year was weaned of the steroids, I gained so much weight and the moon face was terrible. Have had several flare ups when I take 10-15mg steroids for a couple of days. Plaquenil has helped me a lot, initially I had a job to get out of bed, so tired, every joint and muscle ached and hurt, but this has reduced over time, I still get terrible pains in my joints, suffer severe reaction if i don't use 50 sunscreeen all the time, but my quality of life has increased 65%, I am now on reduced plaquenil of 200mg per day, steroids as and when I get a flare up."

jude the prude April 25, 2016

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine): "I had only had a mild SLE flare about 30 years ago. I had plenty of the discoid lupus symptoms, but they were easily controlled with avoiding the sun and using sunscreens,especially in the last 20 years. I developed another auto-immune problem about 15 years ago.(gluten intolerance or or possible CD.) I ate the "gluten-free" Cheerios when they hit the shelves about 6 months ago, and almost killed myself, as they were not gluten free. This touched off a SLE flare of unbelievable proportions! Practically every joint in my body was hurting SO badly,and I had fever and fatigue and did not respond to NSAIDs. Placquenil has been my lifesaver! Adhering to an anti-inflammatory diet for a month helped, also. The price-worth it."

Barb-Also (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 23, 2016

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine): "I started this med as I have both RA and Systemic Lupus. It did nothing for me and we added Methotrexate, still no benefit. Added Enbrel, no better. My eyesight was beginning to fail so I stopped all of them. My weight ballooned up by 25lbs!! I have found no mainline meds to help and had to turn to Traditional Chinese Medicine for relief. Works great for me. I am still hoping to find something in the regular vein of meds to help and not hurt me. My insurance will not cover the help of the Traditional Chinese Medicine that is helping. What's up with that?"

CTT October 13, 2015

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine): "I first went on Plaquenil in 2004, due to unbearable finger and wrist joint pain for 5 months, which was diagnosed as Lupus (after a sky-high ANA test and some other tests and diagnoses). I was told it would take 3-ish weeks to kick in, and it did, right on schedule. Almost overnight, I went from not able to hold a soda can or open a door to being 100 % pain free. I was on Plaquenil for 4 years, during which time I was in complete remission, so in 2008 I discontinued it. In 2015 Lupus reared its ugly head again, this time with Pleurisy. Got back on Plaquenil and after the requisite waiting time, it got the problem under control (not 100%; maybe 50 %). I love Plaquenil but my advice to others is to be very patient and give it time to work."

LarryF June 11, 2015

"I was diagnosed with lupus and rheumatoid arthritis four years ago. The doctor told me to take hydroxychoroquine and told me to stick to that medicine or my lupus would return. Ever since then I have been doing great. I do have a few side affects but none of that matters to me because I got my childhood back. - Angel Aguillon 14yrs old 04/08/15"

Angelisback April 9, 2015

"Its been a year and half on hydroxychloroquine at the high dose at first, which gave me brown urine, headache, and no appetite. Doc cut the dose in half, and I was okay, except for irritated tummy. I asked if I could again cut dose in half, which worked out to like 100mg a day. I felt like my old self, but doc thought too low dose. I turned down prednisone all together, and waited out the hydroxychloroquine. I saw the rheumatology doc the other day and took a list of concerns, he said not related to lupus...(burning skin in private area, tummy issues, brain fog, dry mouth at the front, and a few others). I had culture on urine and nothing...but bilirubin in urine and trace ketones too, so gonna double check that out. Rheumatology thinks I should go off this."

DeeGlp (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 18, 2015

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine): "I would recommend this to anyone. I was put on Plaquenil in April of 2012 for Lupus symptoms, constant pain( mostly in my legs) extreme fatigue and overall ill feeling. Within 2 months of taking Plaquenil the pain and fatigue had subsided, not completely but has greatly improved over the last year and half & my health and immune system has also improved and I went from being sick ALL the time to very rarely sick. It has been a Godsend for me. I wouldn't advise taking the medicine on an empty stomach it will make you sick & nauseous all day long."

osborne113 (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 29, 2014

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine): "I am a RN and have been diagnosed with undifferentiated connective tissue disorder. I was initially very hesitant to start medication due to the side effects. I have been on the medicine for three years. I have had increased joint mobility and decreased swelling. I do have my eyes examined every six months. Glad I weighed my options and gave it a try."

chelle1989roses October 5, 2014

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine): "I experienced a rash over my entire body about 2-3 weeks after starting taking this medicine. I don't really know if it would have worked for me or not."

new to sle (taken for less than 1 month) August 19, 2014

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine): "This medication worked great for me except for some stomach upset which was I tolerating because I wanted to stay off Prednisone. However, three weeks into taking the medication, I developed an allergy to it and broke out in hives all over my body. So I had to discontinue, sadly. Very sorry not to be able to take this medication as it seems the best one for controlling my Lupus with the least side effects."

Rosinavos July 23, 2014

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine): "I have been taking 200mg of Plaquenil daily for 2yrs now. I still have many days a wk when my entire body hurts. My eye doctor cautioned me not to go to a higher dose for the protection of my eyes. Recently, my daughter noticed a film over half of one eye, which I could not see and my vision is generally not as clear. May not be the right medicine for me."

PBHi (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 29, 2014

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine): "I have been on this medication for about 12 years now. It seems to work very well but as the years have gone on it doesn't work quite as well as it used to. That's why I only rate it at an 8. There was a time when my insurance was messed up, and I didn't have the money to pay for my medications. I could definitely tell the difference when I was not on this medicine. I would definitely recommend it."

small town mom May 28, 2014

"Male 66 who has been on this drug for 10 years. Without it my life as I know it would be gone! Took about 3/4 months to fully work and change my blood chem. back to normal as it was WAY out. dsDNA rate last check was down to 70. Now I travel the world in remote areas, walk more than 5 miles in the jungle heat and feel like my old self (well as much as I can being another decade older) ;-)"

One Who Knows (taken for 10 years or more) October 29, 2013

"Ive taken this on and off and for 7 years and it helps with my joint pain and hair loss. It just takes time so be patient. The fatigue is almost gone as well."

ljks mommy January 16, 2013

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine): "For mild cases of lupus (meaning no organ involvement) I would say this works perfectly fine. Reduces fatigue and joint pain from a 10 to about a 2 depending on weather conditions. If you are active and maintain a healthy diet I would say fatigue and pain are at a nil while taking Plaquenil. It takes maybe a few months to get the dosages correct with your level of pain and fatigue."

Mrs. Boss Ross February 19, 2012

95 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine): "I was diagnosed with Discoid lupus in 2009 and I began using Plaquenil once I stopped breastfeeding. Initially, the only difference I noticed was my hair stopped falling out. After taking Plaquenil for a less than a year my face and neck started turning black. My dermatologist is convinced that Plaquenil is the culprit and just recently confirmed it. Between my rheumatologist and dermatologist they're trying to find the right medicine that will work. I've been using bleaching creams for about 9 months and they haven't worked well. I tried to come off Plaquenil but I experience bad headaches and hair loss."

Anonymous December 24, 2011

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine): "I love this medicine. It has helped so much with the arthritic pain. No side effects for me. I have eye check ups every six months. Give a try!"

preocupada December 10, 2011

"I am taking hydroxychloroquine for Lupus...I was on the medicine originally for 4 weeks...had the mood swings...they leveled out. Then random ear ringing in my left ear. Doctor discontinued which bummed me out. The rash on my cheek almost vanished and when I went off the medicine it came right back along with all the joint and muscle pain. Upon review doctor is letting me take half pill for 3 weeks then if all well boost up to one versus 1 1/2. I don't know the connection to the ears but the way I felt and looked was worth a little random ring. I am hoping for the best."

pandorascrow February 25, 2011

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine): "The only reason I gave Plaquenil a 9 instead of a 10 is because I still need Imuran as well. Plaquenil is a great medicine but it's important to have your eyes examined every 6-12 months to check for a RARE side effect of eye damage."

Jesse88 November 16, 2010

"I took this medicine for 9 years and then stopped, blaming it for my gastrointestinal problems. I didn't start it again until 6 years later when I had a flare up with very high sed rate and swelling of ankle joint. I then agreed to start it again. I feel so much better. My skin which was getting really scary, but not Lupus plaques, has improved. I regret discontinuing the use of Plaquenil. I could kick myself. I also have my peripheral vision checked 2 X yearly."

Estella2 September 8, 2010

"Have been on this medicine for ten years. Had a lot of the side effects but compared to what I was like before it is still worth taking."

louis lane June 11, 2010

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine): "This medicine gave my life back. No side effects. Can go up and down stairs again. I have been taking plaquenil since 1994."

KULA June 4, 2010

91 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I was diagnosed with Lupus, along with rheumatoid arthritis. I started taking this medication about 4 weeks ago and over time it has minimized the inflammation I was experiencing, along with the chronic pain in my hips and knees. I never thought I could say that I am about 80% out of pain which is a miracle! For me, taking it with food is a must. Have a little stomach cramping but I CAN tolerate that. So far, so good."

Kgilette April 27, 2010

"I started this drug for Discoid lupus. It made me insane. I would fly into rages at small things, later I would melt on the floor in tears. Scared my daughters - 18 and 21. I quit taking this drug after 3 weeks."

Special I guess November 10, 2009

"Since starting this medication in conjunction with prednisone I am able to work an 8 hour day again."

Feeling Better May 28, 2009