User Reviews for Hydroxychloroquine

Also known as: Plaquenil, Quineprox

Learn more about Hydroxychloroquine.

Hydroxychloroquine Rating Summary

6.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 364 medications used in the treatment of Rheumatoid Arthritis.

Reviews for Hydroxychloroquine to treat Rheumatoid Arthritis

"Plaquenil was the first RA medication I was put on. It did not go well. I was on it for a total of 3.5 weeks, and during that time I have never been so sick in my life. The nausea got worse the longer I was on it. I developed severe vomiting at about two weeks on it. I was debilitatingly exhausted all the time. I lost over 10 pounds in the this short time because I couldn't eat and was getting so violently ill. It also gave me a horrible headache that lasted from day 1 until my rheumatologist discontinued it. After I stopped taking it, the side effects cleared up in about a week. Now that I am off it, I CAN tell it was helping the RA pain and swelling however the side effects were just too much for me."

GCav (taken for less than 1 month) August 23, 2016

"I was diagnosed with RA when I was 30 years old. I'm 37 now. My rheumatologist started me out on Methotrexate which put me in the hospital for sever flu like symptoms for an extended period of time. I have just started Hydroxychloroquine, I am on 200mg once a day and have noticed it leaves me feeling out of sorts, and I often have headaches along with nausea despite taking it with meals. It has caused me to miss work on several occasions. I'm hoping that with time some of the side effects will subside and I'll be able to enjoy a better quality of life."

Chorty79 August 5, 2016

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine): "I started on Plaquenil for RA about two months ago so my experiences are fresh. I'm a large male at 6'2 250 pnd 30 years old. When I was diagnosed with RA I didn't know what to expect. I was quickly referred to a Rheumatologist who recommended this drug. The first three weeks I was having some side effects. Nose bleeds, ringing in my ears. But after the fourth week they just disappeared. As well as the excruciating pain in my feet, knee's and hands. It just poof like it never happened. I'm optimistic about now my third month as it has now been three months since my last flare up. It was too late for my feet, which now have permanent damage, but I can now walk and wear shoes almost perfectly normally."

Enz (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 25, 2016

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine): "I have been taking plaquenil for about 4 years 200 mg twice a day . I have been having severe stomach cramps and nausea and vomiting just now realized it's the plaquenil. Because I didn't take it for 3 days because of the n/v just took it again today and got so sick had to throw up. Now realized it's the plaquenil have been to gastro dr and have done all kind of test .will not be taking this med again my Ra is nothing as bad as n/v maybe this will help some one . Don't no what I will take for this Ra pain I feel so sorry for anyone who has this Ra was not diagnosed with this untill I was 65 years old."

Anonymous June 25, 2016

"Tried Methotrexate twice and both times it caused Chronic Ulcerative Colitis so my consultant put me on Hydoxychloroquine. Started on 2 tablets a day but after 3 weeks I cut it down to 1 as it was upsetting my stomach. It halved my inflamation in about 5 weeks! BUT! After taking it for 3 months I began to get very constipated and after 4 months I had blood when I passed a stool so I stopped taking it, as I thought my UC was coming back. Now 6 weeks later I am suffering with chronic indigestion and have to drink several sachets of Macrogol per day to be able to go to the toilet. My doctor's not given me any indication as to how long this will last or if my stomach's been permanently damaged so I am going to make an appointment to find out!"

Nannysoo (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 25, 2016

"I have been taking 200 mg of Plaquenil 2x/day for about 8 weeks. I notice stomach discomfort even though I take it with a meal. The one side effect I don't see mentioned anywhere is that it lowers my iNR and I've had to increase my warfarin dosage. I do see a great change in the amount of pain in my joints!! I actually have days that I feel good again!! Praise God!"

LindD June 22, 2016

"My RA Dr. Prescribed 200mg 2X P/Day - Approximately 1 month ago. I feel a great difference on improvement of pain relief! But, I do have to eat prior to taking or I get nauseous. Also, I get very sweaty - dripping sweaty, It's terrible! But the RA Pain is So Much Worse than being sweaty & nauseous, so I will continue to take this medicine! Aside from the 2 side effects I mentioned Plaqunil has relieved my pain substantially!"

Bans May 14, 2016

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine): "Helped with RA It has affected my vision immensely. So much, that I stopped taking it."

pattyannhorse March 2, 2016

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine): "I'm a 57 year old female that has just been diagnosed with RA about 6 weeks ago. My GP gave me Arthrotech to get me through until I could see the rheumatologist The Arthrotech made me sick, for every 4 pills I took, I threw one up. Went to specialist yesterday and he gave me Plaquenil - I've only taken it for 2 days so far (400 mg) daily but I'm feeling worse ( although the weather has changed - snow storm) I can't believe how painful this disease is. Does it get any better? Will I have a pain free normal life one day soon? I don't go back to the specialist until May but I can't imagine being in this much pain until at least May. I'm feeling so sorry for myself and cry because I'm tired cry because I'm sore. When will it start working?"

Sadiemybeagle March 2, 2016

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine): "I'm 18 and was told I have arthritis about 10 months ago Plaquenil worked after the first couple of weeks but one major side effect is Mouth Ulcers and at times I've been in so much pain with them I couldn't eat. But then the alternative one said it could make my hair fall out (and that is not an option at my age)"

Miss Johnston (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 1, 2016

"I have been started on plaquenil for a virus I contracted in Haiti after I worked 2 weeks after the devastating earthquake. I had 3 viruses that infectious disease found. The culprit was human Parvovirus B 19. This can cause joint pain in the small joints, especially in adult women. My joint pain would flare up for a couple weeks at a time, then subside. Since August I have had unrelenting pain in my hands, wrists, elbows, forefeet , ankles and knees. Because this is uncommon my medical providers have been unsure of a treatment . I finally saw a rheumatologist who wanted me to try Plaquenil. He said he's doesn't know if it will help but I am giving it a try! I have just started the treatment and I feel very out of sorts!"

Carleysue (taken for less than 1 month) February 27, 2016

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine): "I'm a 30 year old mother of 2. I have been taking plaquenil for about 2 years now. Initially it helped a great deal. I'm noticing my pain levels rising and now I've developed tinnitus. I'm told that plaquenil can cause permanent deafness. So I'm going to have to seek other options. Methotrexate is not an option due to the damage to my lungs pre diagnosis. I'm honestly scared about the cancer risks of other medications but now I don't have a choice."

Sewbizmom (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 22, 2016

"Took this for my ankylosing spondylitis. By week two ankle, toe and hand pain lessened. The 5 knives I felt stabbing and twisting along my spine from neck to sacrum were gone by week three. The inflammation, aching and stiffness is still a problem at this point. I didn't think this medication would work this quickly and I'm hoping it continues to relieve even more pain. If so I will give it a ten!"

Started with neck pain (taken for less than 1 month) January 23, 2016

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine): "I have been on Plaquenil since 1996 when I was diagnosed with RA. When I was diagnosed I was in severe pain, unable to hold my infant child or drive. My rheumatologist injected me with steroids to get me immediate relief and started me on Plaquenil. I don't remember my initial dosage but I take 200mg once per day and have been in remission since 1996 and I have had no side effects that I am aware of. I have regular eye exams and periodic screenings by a retinologist and my eyes have had no issues at all."

TJT1 January 22, 2016

99 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I was told by my doctor that plaquenil would not work for my RA because my symptoms were too severe. However I didn't want to take the other more serious drugs, so I took this. It took a month before I noticed ANYTHING, and after two months I felt MUCH better. Now, a year into the drug I have ZERO, and I mean ZERO symptoms of RA. Give it time. It works."

HogFan (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 20, 2015

"I was diagnosed with juvinel rheumatoid arthritis when I was 12, you name the medication.. I've been on it. I'm 28 now and this is the first drug to help me the most. Been on drug 6months."

Raychillie (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 10, 2015

"I just got prescribed this medication and I'm scared to take it the side effects are scary I'm 35 had RA most of my life but just got diagnosed with it 7years now and I don't take pills I like natural treatments Smh"

pooh3201 (taken for less than 1 month) December 2, 2015

"Diagnosed with RA 3 years ago, was put on hydroxychloroquine 200mg 2xdaily. After 4 months nearly all my symptoms had gone! Then the hair loss started and about a year from onset I began to look like I had the mange; so, being a complete peacock I took myself off of the medication. Not a good idea, 2 years of being symptom free and I had forgotten how badly RA sucks! Four months passed and all of my symptoms returned, accompanied with a new symptom of chronic joint popping (and more discomfort and pain) in nearly every joint in my body! So, back to the hydroxychloroquine and hoping for the same relief acquired initially. I'm not ready to go Vin Diesel, so maybe I'll just invest in some baseball caps."

JC071 November 15, 2015

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine): "I have been on Plaquenil for two months to treat newly diagnosed RA. The duration and intensity of the flares have been reduced, but I am still suffering with aches and swelling in my small joints and elbows. I have had mild nausea and am having my eyes monitored by my optometrist."

Science Teacher (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 13, 2015

"I'm on week 5 and it has certainly changed my life I was having constant flare ups in my hands. And my joint pain was so severe it was depressing I'm 43 yrs old and felt like I had a body of an 80 yr old I am doing so much better I've been on Celebrex twice a day for 4 yrs and constant cortisone meds but this plaquenil has helped me so much My only down fall I've noticed is that I'm tired after I take it other than that my pain has gone from constant to bearly any I get the odd day but usually triggered by cold weather and due to my osteo arthritis"

Karen mcdaniel November 8, 2015

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine): "Started Plaquenil 8 months ago-200mg 2x/day- to treat Psoriatic arthritis and sjogrens. Learned to NOT take it in the morning with my Meloxicam 15mg because of strong nausea. If I take one after a big lunch and one after dinner, I have no problems at all. Joints and hands, wrists are doing so much better. One worry is that I am too tired to do anything at all. If I do laundry, I sweat. If I cook dinner or rake the yard, I sweat. I seem to even have trouble sleeping on my side at night because of trouble getting enough air into my lungs. Weird, I know. I rated it an 8 because I do not feel sick after taking it and it does seem to work. The last but not least worry is heavy hair loss. I have thin and fine hair anyway, but it comes out like crazy"

langteach (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 28, 2015

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine): "This medication did wonders for my soreness and pain from Rheumatoid Arthritis but if someone would have told me I would have devastating and irreversible eye damage due to taking it, I would have chosen a different drug for sure (at least after the 5-7 year mark when it is known to cause major problems that will be with you for life!)"

cjgriff (taken for 10 years or more) October 27, 2015

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine): "I had Lyme disease and a subsequent RA dx, I have been on Plaquenil for 7 months. 200mg 2x a day and now 1x day, It has helped a great deal. I was also taking Collagen and a few herbs for inflammation, I am doing much much better and able to do a lot of things I thought I never would again, I have occasional stiffness but it's hardly an issue,,, On the downside, I do have bad nightmares, not all the time but they are something I am not happy about, Anecdotally, they may be correlated to Alcohol, I occasionally get nausea and headaches as well but the headaches are mild and only once a week or so. Fingers crossed that the side effects diminish and that this drug keeps on keeping on,,, I am 55 ...best to you all D"

Dante21 September 9, 2015

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine): "I live in Uk and having all treatment under the National Health Service. I have RA, fibromyalgia and osteoarthritis, blepharitis and interstitial lung disease ! Blimey I hear you say quite rightly. I say it every day. I take hydroxychloraquine in conjunction with methatrexate and etanercept and they seem to work well together. However since my methatrexate was reduced ( due to continual chest infections ) I have notice recurrance of swelling and pain has increased. I am now on 80 mg of morphine ( MST slow release ) x 2 per day and oramorph ( instant effect morphine ) for breakout pain. Docs told me that they know the three meds work in conjunction with each other but they don't know why ! Who cares - give me the drugs. Hope this helps."

unamatrix0 (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 29, 2015

"Was on this for three weeks when I noticed a mild rash. Stopped taking it but rash became much worse after 4 days.I had to go to A and E due to other symptoms. Diagnosed with an allergic reaction and prescribed Steroids and to continue with antihistamine. Took over a week to settle. This was disappointing as I was beginning to feel better, stiffness and tiredness was reducing. Now waiting to see Consultant to discuss other options."

Tiarnan August 25, 2015