User Reviews for Hydroxychloroquine to treat Rheumatoid Arthritis

Also known as: Plaquenil

Hydroxychloroquine Rating Summary

6.4/10 Average Rating

Compare all 306 medications used in the treatment of Rheumatoid Arthritis.

Reviews for Hydroxychloroquine

blue72 · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 5, 2020

“6 weeks on hydroxychloroquine for RA. Using this manufacturer for the first 4 weeks. Then was given a different manufacturer that was shaped different and within 2 days started the red itchy patches and joint PAIN. Continued to take a few more days and continued to go downhill. Got my doctor to order a new prescription of this manufacture and now am continuing to go back up hill and feeling so much better. THANK YOU ZYDUS”

George · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 2, 2020

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine): “Hi, I was diagnosed with RA just recently in 2019 when I was 32. It started with fingers & toes then tender hotspots on arms & legs and upper back pain involvement a month after. I took Plaquenil with full adherence of 300mg/d dosage hence positive effect on fingers & toes and body tenders hit in only on month 6, however it did not help me with upper back pain at all. AS was ruled out with HLA-B27(-), movement capacity and clean spine MRI though. The side effects: skin rash (persisted during first 3 months), stomach pain (few times), diarrhea (persisted during first 3 months now occasionally) and muscle twitches (intensive first month, then milder and I ignore them, maybe not due to HCQ) Nevertheless I'm going to visit my rheumo in coming weeks to discuss my never relieved morning upper back pain.”

RRLE · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 24, 2020

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine): “This Plaquenil is one of the drugs my arthritis doc put me on. I was told by my eye care specialist that it was damaging my eyes and I needed to stop taking it. My eyes may never recovered I have been off Plaquenil for several years now, and my eyes still have not recovered. I didn't notice any positive results, probably since I took it such a short time, but it didn't take long for it to damage my eyes. DANGEROUS if you value your sight.”

Hot Dog · Taken for 10 years or more May 20, 2020

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine): “I am 76 year old female with Rheumatoid Arthritis for about 40 years. I have been on Plaquenil for about 30 years which has controlled pain and swelling of joints. X-rays have shown decrease in joint destruction. I have multiple drug reactions but have had none with Plaquenil. I do have occasional flare in rainy, cold weather which is gone in about 2 days with anti-inflammatory. I see my ophthalmologist once a year for extensive eye exam. To date no problem. Very, very pleased with Plaquenil and love my Rheumatologist.”

Sorrow · Taken for 10 years or more May 1, 2020

“I've had Rheumatoid Arthritis since I was 26 (1978). Over the years I've been on many drugs. I started taking Plaquenil in 1987. I was on gold shots and an NSAID and not doing well at all. A Rheumatologist put me on Plaquenil. He said if I didn't get enough relief, they would put me on a new drug called Methotrexate. I had some improvement with Plaquenil, but 2 years later they did put me on Methotrexate. At one time I was on those 2 drugs, plus Sulfasalazine & Orencia. It was changing my diet that got me off of those other drugs, but I still need to be on the Methotrexate & Plaquenil. I feel pretty good, but I still have flareups occasionally. I have had no side effects from the Plaquenil. I just got the generic hydroxychloroquine with my last refill, so I'll have to see if there's any difference. Since I didn't have a great deal of improvement & still have to take the MTX, I'll give it a 5.”

Jo Jo · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 28, 2020

“I have been getting the generic Hydroxychloroquine for 2 months. I have noticed more aches and discomfort returning. I feel like I had more pain free days when taking the medication by a different manufacturer.”

sandy · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 23, 2020

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine): “I have been taking plaquenil for the last 6 months. It has worked so well to reduce my inflammation. Along with methotrexate I have next to no RA symptoms. Do take this with water or food as it can upset your stomach. Also try to eat healthy as I have noticed increased appetite on this medication”

Sunshinez · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 22, 2020

“I've been on hydroxychloroquine for 6 months now for RA and it saved my life from the corona virus. In March I become very sick. Had the chills so bad one night my teeth and body were shaking like crazy. I then started having shortness of breathe and my body was aching everywhere. I was doing breathing treatments almost 7 times a day for what seemed like weeks. My doctor sent me to the emergency room and I ended up having the corona virus. I survived it. Thank God I was already taking hydroxychloroquine.”

Chili · Taken for 5 to 10 years April 20, 2020

“I have been taking plaquenil for nine years for RA and I suddenly lost all hearing in my left ear”

Lou · Taken for 10 years or more April 16, 2020

“I was diagnosed hydroxychloroquine for RA in 1996. During the next approximate 12 years, my doctors prescribed hydroxychloroquine and methotrexate (can't recall the timing on each). Then after those 12 years of meds, I no longer had any RA pain. My doctor agreed to discontinue the meds. It has been 12 years since then and I remain pain free. I am so happy that hydroxy is being used in the war on COVID19.”

Grandma · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 8, 2020

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine): “I have taken this medicine for 2 years it helped my hands so much more like 100 percent, but I can tell that my eyes and getting bad have a eye doctor appointment next month. What I didn’t know was it could cause your hair to fall out - it’s been falling out bad I just found out yesterday that this is one of the side effects so I am stopping this medicine. Hopefully I can take something up for all of you out there that have no side effects you are so blessed!!!!”

Baba · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 2, 2020

“I used this drug hydroxychloroquine for several years for rheumatoid arthritis. Unfortunately, it did nothing to stop the progression of my illness and eventually gave me a very bad rash. Of course I had to stop taking it and the Dr. prescribed something else which did work like a miracle - my inflammation completely disappeared!”

Covid19 concerned · Taken for less than 1 month April 1, 2020

“I was prescribed Plaquenil for my RA a few years ago, after 2 weeks on the drug I developed the "Plaquenil rash" it began on my stomach and with days consumed my entire body. It was the most painful thing I've experienced. I felt that I was being burned from the inside out. I was put on a prednisone IV and that had it's own issues. My Dr. said that I developed Steven Johnsons syndrome from the allergic reaction. I can't personally imagine ever having to use this drug again.”

Bird March 27, 2020

“Been on hydroxychloroquine for RA for a year weight gain awful, losing hair. Drug started to not work very well. But the weight gain was the decision factor in coming off it. Dry mouth didn't help either.”

ALLY C · Taken for 10 years or more March 21, 2020

“I GOT THE DOUBLE WHAMMY growing up I had horrible LYME was given Plaquenil along with antibiotics , it all worked well for me. Now I'm in my 40's I have Rheumatoid arthritis now , given Plaquenil again over past 5 years. I go for eye exams frequently. OK so now all over the news this drug (hydroxychloroquine) may help treat COVID 19. Before Covid I could get it before for free THE DRUG CO and my insurance jacked up the price big time, CALL YOUR ATTORNEY GENERAL ASAP outrageous”

T February 18, 2020

“Hydrochloroquine (Plaquenil) has been a blessing for me. It took about 5 weeks to take effect but my RA is basically a non factor now. I do occasionally experience dry eyes and a little scalp itch but asserting that it's caused by Hydrochloroquine would be anecdotal at best. Have my eyes checked twice a year and so far so good. After 5 years I consider myself fortunate that this drug has worked wonders for me.”

Chey · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 22, 2020

“Been taking Plaquenil for three months. Severe headaches and loose stool, itching along with internal tremors.”

Will · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 16, 2019

“I welcome the chance to comment on my personal experience with Hydroxychloroquine (generic). Please keep in mind that these comments are based on my experience only. My rheumatologist prescribed two 200 mg tablets per day. After two months I discontinued the medication because I was experiencing a number of nasty side-effects, which included: dizziness, disorientation (even in familiar places and times), extreme fatigue (slept 16 hours per day), periodic shortness of breath, loss of cognitive abilities, blurred vision, headaches, metallic taste in mouth, excessive itching (but not hives), little improvement of inflamed joints, insomnia, nausea, extreme intestinal disruption, forgetfulness, and overall lack of energy. I realize some with RA praise the drug, and I am happy it works for them. But I found it a nasty, quality-of-life inhibiting drug. Thanks for reading!”

Anonymous · Taken for 5 to 10 years December 9, 2019

“hydroxychloroquine is a good drug for mild arthritis however length of time it takes for drug to leave body is worrying when you are faced with loosing your sight and possible progression after you stopped taking the drug. Also check the dose is correct for your ideal weight do you are not over medicated.”

blacki · Taken for less than 1 month December 4, 2019

“This is the site, is where I found I am taking 3 other meds., that are advised NOT to be on when taking hydroxchloroquine, when starting this one. Had 5 days of 200mg 2x/day, and have decided to stop. Severe vertigo this AM, followed with increase BP, irritability. The scary thing (beside heart & liver damage that could occur while on the other 3 meds), is the very long half-life, of this drug. Can not find out if it can be dialysised. The pharmacy print-out, did not mention, what I found on this site. My "go-to" site for checking interactions, did not mention my other drugs. Can not really rate the drug, as to RA, due to my short use of it. So, thank you for the info., it may have saved my life.”

Anonymous November 10, 2019

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine): “Hi all. Been on Plaquenil for 30 years for rheumatoid arthritis. I don’t know if I have side effect from this drug as they are intermittent... Itching - weird times not consistent Eye watering - constant Headaches - hormonal, RA related Always had thin hair - never fell out No stomach issues ever Get eyes checked 1x a year. My eye dr puts me through an hour+ battery of tests (4?) and takes a picture of my eye every year (cool machine ... don’t have to dilate). Blood work every three months to monitor kidneys. Starting to wonder if I need to increase because my shoulders starting to loose range of motion and had bursitis a few weeks ago in one. Or maybe I need to increase prednisone (also 30 years - 5 mg once a day).Been off the anti-inflammatory diet though ... will get back on it, too. Starting gym on Tuesday .... Stay healthy folks!”

Blitz · Taken for less than 1 month October 30, 2019

“I started on this few days ago and have terrible nausea and headaches. I feel panicky does side effects wear off and how long does it take. I take 200mg one day then 400mg the next”

Hanz · Taken for 10 years or more September 17, 2019

“I've had one of the worst cases of RA. I tried Methetrexate and it started messing with my liver enzymes so the doctor took me off it. I've just been taking Hydrochloraquine for awhile now and it's the magic pills for me. I do take a pain pill for shooting pains and I take Hydroxy Cycline. The combination seems to do well. It's not a cure but I'm able to walk and there is no swelling except for my angles. I'm telling you, I feel comfortable with Hydrochloroquine.”

ithasaname September 9, 2019

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine): “Hi I am a 63 year old female who was diagnosed with RA after instigating a blood test for it out of desperation 3 weeks a go. My debilitating chronic pain in feet and random knee flare ups has a name. My rheumatologist put me on prednisolone ( reduced doses over in 3 months ) until the methotrexate starts working (once a week of 15mg for 2 weeks , 20mg once a week indefinitely). Plaquenil 300mg daily. I also take Vit D daily and 5mg folic acid once a week plus curcumin and fish oil I have been taking it all with breakfast for the last 8 days . I have had stomach cramps but no diarrhoea The prednisolone has been magic for pain free sleep and movement. will see in 2 months time with only the latter 2 . Trying to stay positive with yoga and strength exercises Drugs , vitamins ,anti-inflammatory supplements , eye tests and blood tests and maybe a nice wig are now part of my new reality”

RINOSHKA · Taken for 5 to 10 years August 28, 2019

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine): “I take it for Rheumatoid Arthritis, it has been good for me, but the generic form of it caused me problems, so I have to take the brand name. The brand name is extremely expensive and I cannot afford it. I stopped taking it because it is too expensive. I need help in order to keep on taking it, I don't know what to do? Any suggestions?”

Learn more about Rheumatoid Arthritis

Symptom checker

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)