User Reviews for Hydroxychloroquine

Also known as: Plaquenil, Quineprox

Learn more about Hydroxychloroquine.

Hydroxychloroquine Rating Summary

6.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 368 medications used in the treatment of Rheumatoid Arthritis.

Reviews for Hydroxychloroquine to treat Rheumatoid Arthritis

"I am a 54yr old female, just diagnosed with RA two months ago. I also suffer from fibromyalgia. Started taking Placquenil exactly one month ago, along with Lyrica. Had only been taking the Placquenil for two weeks when I had a severe reaction , dizziness, abdominal pain nausea and vomiting. Was hospitalized for 4 days and am still recovering from drug induced vertigo. This is week three of vertigo, I can't drive or work and have no benefits. I was hopeful this drug might help me, now my future is uncertain cause I can't work and have no income. Its Thursday and tomorrow my mortgage and other bills are due and here I am literally spinning out of control."

Kilworthygirl (taken for less than 1 month) April 14, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine): "Love this drug, compared to the others. I am 55 now, and first took it 30 years ago. My RA then came on lightening fast, nodules and all. I went from totally normal to almost wheel chair in weeks. The weight of a bed sheet on my toes was too much. Two plaquenil a day and 2400 mg of ibuprofen a day ( that's 12 regular dose!) and I went into total remission. Of course my stomach is crap now. After 25 years of remission, the RA returned. Different now that I'm older (55), more subtle. Chose plaquenil again, and working wonders, but for my permanent damage. Get your eyes checked, a must. Some hair will fall out, but hey, I'm glad I still have some to fall out. WEIRD dreams. Irritability. Will lose weight! TAKE WITH FOOD to avoid cramps."

RichEsq April 13, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine): "I've been on Plaquenil for over 3 months now. It works wonderfully! I combine my treatment with Curcumin & Magnesium baths and I feel like a new woman :-) Side effects I experienced: Nausea & dizziness for the first week or two (I found I needed to take it after a full meal to prevent the nausea). I have also noticed since starting the Plaquenil I seem to sweat profusely. It's annoying, but the benefits far outweigh this little problem. I just wear my gym gear about now... which I did mostly beforehand anyhow :-) Also, it take take a couple months for the Plaquenil to kick in & for me to feel the effects! Don't give up, just give it some time."

KittensAussiePrincess March 26, 2017

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine): "I began taking Plaquenil for RA 1 month ago. Despite information from my doctor that it would be at least 3 months before I see an appreciable effect, I am feeling better than I have in the last year. Prior to Plaquenil, I tried Mobic & Medrol, both with limited improvement. But over the last few weeks I have been able to play basketball with my son again, move without thinking or a 'warm up period', return to the gym, begin Pilates & I've lost 12 pounds! I did have some GI upset over the last month, but nothing I would consider stopping this medication for. I am able to enjoy things again & live life without discomfort."

Kat019 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 3, 2017

33 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been on plaquenil for almost 3 years now. Along with RA, I also have Fibro Lupus and Scleraderma. I tried Methotrexate and it made me very sick so RA doctor said to just take the plaquenil. Since being on the med I have a very hard time staying well. What I mean is I catch every virus, cold, flu coming and going. I have now been sick since Thanksgiving and just recently was told that I have pneumonia. I thought that if I took myself off I the plaquenil that my immune system might somehow perk up and be better. Well I have been off of the plaquenil for almost 2 weeks now and good Lord was that a mistake. I had forgotten how bad I hurt before the plaquenil...I am back on it now and have no plans to stop taking it again."

Ta2edjesusfreak (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 29, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was taking it for about 10 days or so. All pains went away in three days completely. I was very happy. But then after a week I got bad rash on my chest, neck, back and then face. I called the doctor and he immediately cancelled it. I am very upset because I felt so well under this medication."

Irinadev (taken for less than 1 month) January 21, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"A wonder-drug to me when I first took it. Almost all the pain in hand joints stopped within a week - after 10-15 years of continuous pain which I had just ignored, but couldn't now face going back to. I'm still almost entirely pain-free in the joints - just a shadow of it in the evening when I'm tired. I do have side-effects though. Terrible constipation and trapped wind, getting worse at present and making me feel sore inside. Also headaches and irritability in the evening, though these are worth putting up with for the increased clarity of thought in the daytime. The 'horrible' feeling someone talked of - I had just a week of it. Like another body, full of pain, just behind the new one. alternating like an alternating current..."

alyth (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 5, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"The first time I took Hydroxychloroquine is last year in March. I was swelling and after taking the drug 200 mg for a few days, my swelling subsided and I was feeling normal again. I found it best to take after lunch but had to take it everyday. I did try to skip a day or two a few months after that but I can see and feel the swelling come back. After that, I try not to skip taking the drug. I was only able to stop taking this medication last August of this year, when I was determined to be happy and accomplish in what I wanted to learn. I accomplished that and went on without the drug until end of October (2 months). I gave up hope learning that topic and feel RA coming back now. I will try not to give up that topic so can stop taking drug"

Khev (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 3, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have Sjogren's and RA, put on Hydroxy 400mg a day. I been on them for 3 months and don't notice any difference at all. I do have intense Tinnitus which is now getting almost unbearable. At first I had stomach pains but Omeprazole helps this and also I now have terrible constipation. I don't rate this drug very well at all and am coming off it and will try natural methods to help my symptoms."

Scyl October 1, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Better than the biologics or methotrexate that caused my lungs to burn up. However, after 7 years of 200 mg b.i.d. I think the time has come to quit this too, I have been experiencing nausea and liver pain for the last few weeks and just recently vomiting and hives followed by four hours of dry heaves. My liver (under and just beneath my right rib cage feels painful and swollen). The biologics are nasty too and my internist said 10 years is max on them as they are know to cause kidney/liver failure in his experience (42 years as an internist). I am not sure where to go from here. This is an awful disease. Diagnosed at 48. Only thing I know to keep the pain at bay is get up and move and don't stop until it's time for bed."

LisaStuDais September 19, 2016

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was diagnosed with JRA at the age of 2, lead a completely normal life until about 2+ years ago, went to see an RA doctor and she put me on plaquenil about 18 months ago. At first it was a amazing, zero side effects and everything was great. For the past 3 months my symptoms have gone worse. In fact I am having pain that I have never had before including joint popping and feeling as though my hip is going to give out sometimes when I walk. I see my doctor next week so hoping for something new. I have never taken any RA meds at all until now and now I feel like I am 90 years old and I am old 48. Exhausted and tired of being in pain."

LaraP September 15, 2016

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine): "I've been on this drug since 2003. Before meds, I was so sick with RA symptoms. Spent 19 hours a day in bed, couldn't dress or bath myself. Seldom ate. Doctor put me on 200 mg. plaquenil twice daily and 10 mg. prednisone and I got my life back. I've since drop prednisone and am down to 200 mg. once daily plaquenil. About to go on the generic form of plaquenil. A little concerned. Is the quality the same? My specialist said no. RA drugs are so scary. I've had friends die on biologics--and some go blind. My advice as geezergirl. When you find out what works for you, hold on tight to it."

geezergirl September 5, 2016

57 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Plaquenil was the first RA medication I was put on. It did not go well. I was on it for a total of 3.5 weeks, and during that time I have never been so sick in my life. The nausea got worse the longer I was on it. I developed severe vomiting at about two weeks on it. I was debilitatingly exhausted all the time. I lost over 10 pounds in the this short time because I couldn't eat and was getting so violently ill. It also gave me a horrible headache that lasted from day 1 until my rheumatologist discontinued it. After I stopped taking it, the side effects cleared up in about a week. Now that I am off it, I CAN tell it was helping the RA pain and swelling however the side effects were just too much for me."

GCav (taken for less than 1 month) August 23, 2016

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was diagnosed with RA when I was 30 years old. I'm 37 now. My rheumatologist started me out on Methotrexate which put me in the hospital for sever flu like symptoms for an extended period of time. I have just started Hydroxychloroquine, I am on 200mg once a day and have noticed it leaves me feeling out of sorts, and I often have headaches along with nausea despite taking it with meals. It has caused me to miss work on several occasions. I'm hoping that with time some of the side effects will subside and I'll be able to enjoy a better quality of life."

Chorty79 August 5, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine): "I started on Plaquenil for RA about two months ago so my experiences are fresh. I'm a large male at 6'2 250 pnd 30 years old. When I was diagnosed with RA I didn't know what to expect. I was quickly referred to a Rheumatologist who recommended this drug. The first three weeks I was having some side effects. Nose bleeds, ringing in my ears. But after the fourth week they just disappeared. As well as the excruciating pain in my feet, knee's and hands. It just poof like it never happened. I'm optimistic about now my third month as it has now been three months since my last flare up. It was too late for my feet, which now have permanent damage, but I can now walk and wear shoes almost perfectly normally."

Enz (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 25, 2016

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine): "I have been taking plaquenil for about 4 years 200 mg twice a day . I have been having severe stomach cramps and nausea and vomiting just now realized it's the plaquenil. Because I didn't take it for 3 days because of the n/v just took it again today and got so sick had to throw up. Now realized it's the plaquenil have been to gastro dr and have done all kind of test .will not be taking this med again my Ra is nothing as bad as n/v maybe this will help some one . Don't no what I will take for this Ra pain I feel so sorry for anyone who has this Ra was not diagnosed with this untill I was 65 years old."

Anonymous June 25, 2016

46 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Tried Methotrexate twice and both times it caused Chronic Ulcerative Colitis so my consultant put me on Hydoxychloroquine. Started on 2 tablets a day but after 3 weeks I cut it down to 1 as it was upsetting my stomach. It halved my inflamation in about 5 weeks! BUT! After taking it for 3 months I began to get very constipated and after 4 months I had blood when I passed a stool so I stopped taking it, as I thought my UC was coming back. Now 6 weeks later I am suffering with chronic indigestion and have to drink several sachets of Macrogol per day to be able to go to the toilet. My doctor's not given me any indication as to how long this will last or if my stomach's been permanently damaged so I am going to make an appointment to find out!"

Nannysoo (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 25, 2016

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been taking 200 mg of Plaquenil 2x/day for about 8 weeks. I notice stomach discomfort even though I take it with a meal. The one side effect I don't see mentioned anywhere is that it lowers my iNR and I've had to increase my warfarin dosage. I do see a great change in the amount of pain in my joints!! I actually have days that I feel good again!! Praise God!"

LindD June 22, 2016

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My RA Dr. Prescribed 200mg 2X P/Day - Approximately 1 month ago. I feel a great difference on improvement of pain relief! But, I do have to eat prior to taking or I get nauseous. Also, I get very sweaty - dripping sweaty, It's terrible! But the RA Pain is So Much Worse than being sweaty & nauseous, so I will continue to take this medicine! Aside from the 2 side effects I mentioned Plaqunil has relieved my pain substantially!"

Bans May 14, 2016

25 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine): "Helped with RA It has affected my vision immensely. So much, that I stopped taking it."

pattyannhorse March 2, 2016

70 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine): "I'm a 57 year old female that has just been diagnosed with RA about 6 weeks ago. My GP gave me Arthrotech to get me through until I could see the rheumatologist The Arthrotech made me sick, for every 4 pills I took, I threw one up. Went to specialist yesterday and he gave me Plaquenil - I've only taken it for 2 days so far (400 mg) daily but I'm feeling worse ( although the weather has changed - snow storm) I can't believe how painful this disease is. Does it get any better? Will I have a pain free normal life one day soon? I don't go back to the specialist until May but I can't imagine being in this much pain until at least May. I'm feeling so sorry for myself and cry because I'm tired cry because I'm sore. When will it start working?"

Sadiemybeagle March 2, 2016

70 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine): "I'm 18 and was told I have arthritis about 10 months ago Plaquenil worked after the first couple of weeks but one major side effect is Mouth Ulcers and at times I've been in so much pain with them I couldn't eat. But then the alternative one said it could make my hair fall out (and that is not an option at my age)"

Miss Johnston (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 1, 2016

39 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been started on plaquenil for a virus I contracted in Haiti after I worked 2 weeks after the devastating earthquake. I had 3 viruses that infectious disease found. The culprit was human Parvovirus B 19. This can cause joint pain in the small joints, especially in adult women. My joint pain would flare up for a couple weeks at a time, then subside. Since August I have had unrelenting pain in my hands, wrists, elbows, forefeet , ankles and knees. Because this is uncommon my medical providers have been unsure of a treatment . I finally saw a rheumatologist who wanted me to try Plaquenil. He said he's doesn't know if it will help but I am giving it a try! I have just started the treatment and I feel very out of sorts!"

Carleysue (taken for less than 1 month) February 27, 2016

23 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine): "I'm a 30 year old mother of 2. I have been taking plaquenil for about 2 years now. Initially it helped a great deal. I'm noticing my pain levels rising and now I've developed tinnitus. I'm told that plaquenil can cause permanent deafness. So I'm going to have to seek other options. Methotrexate is not an option due to the damage to my lungs pre diagnosis. I'm honestly scared about the cancer risks of other medications but now I don't have a choice."

Sewbizmom (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 22, 2016

42 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Took this for my ankylosing spondylitis. By week two ankle, toe and hand pain lessened. The 5 knives I felt stabbing and twisting along my spine from neck to sacrum were gone by week three. The inflammation, aching and stiffness is still a problem at this point. I didn't think this medication would work this quickly and I'm hoping it continues to relieve even more pain. If so I will give it a ten!"

Started with neck pain (taken for less than 1 month) January 23, 2016