User Reviews for Decadron

Decadron has an average rating of 4.6 out of 10 from a total of 20 ratings on Drugs.com. 42% of those users who reviewed Decadron reported a positive effect, while 53% reported a negative effect.

Inflammatory Conditions
Croup
Summary of Decadron reviews 4.6 20 reviews

Reviews for Decadron

Jamie · Taken for less than 1 month May 4, 2021

For Asthma: “Went to the ER for chest pressure and shortness of breath. Got an injection of decadron and never again will I! Right after injection I instantly had a severe panic attack, its been 2 days since I got the injection & I've only slept 7 hours within 48 hours, it has caused me severe insomnia and my heart rate goes sky high. Chest pressure still hasn't subsided, which may be due to high anxiety from this medicine.”

ReginaJo · Taken for less than 1 month February 5, 2021

For Shock: “I was given this twice through IV after a nut allergy gave me anaphylaxis and put me in the ER. Within seconds of administering my groin area, vaginal area and arm pits were burning like they were on fire. I screamed it was so bad. At some point afterwards I started blacking out. I ended up receiving another dose somehow. I went temporarily deaf and blind. I thought it was the end of me. I became violent and hostile. I was not my normal self. They had to strap me down and sedate me. The next day I woke up in the ICU. I was wet like I had peed my pants. Every time I would stand fluid was coming out of me like when your water breaks. This kept on for 3 days. I couldn't even walk to the bathroom without it happening. I was not pregnant. By day 4 I was heavily bleeding. A few days later it finally stopped. I didn't have another period for 5 years and it nearly sterilized me. I haven't had a successful pregnancy since this event. I was told to never again take a steroid, especially this one.”

TJ · Taken for less than 1 month November 9, 2019

For Inflammatory Conditions: “Had this steroid (Decadron) in addition to antibiotic shot yesterday for an upper resipratory infection. Headache (migraine) started within 2 hours and have not disappeared to this point. I've taken these same meds before without reaction but don't think I will again.”

Mother of 3 October 4, 2019

For Asthma: “I was given this med for asthma from a virus that my inhaled steroids weren’t helping with. I was given a one time dose of 10mg and though it worked for my breathing, the rest of my body is a mess. I have had severe elevated heart rate, high blood pressure, headache, rigor shakes, muscle spasms in the arms and legs, faintness, cold sweats, increased urination, severe exhaustion, muscle weakness, heart burn, increased anxiety, cloudy headedness, nausea, and an intolerance for anything physical beyond just walking. I am a fit 42 year old woman with no other health issues and this has been blowing my mind that I could get this sick. I did go to the ED and I was told that it can cause these symptoms. The worst part is that because it’s long acting it can take a week from your last dose for it to be cleared out. So I was told to rest and drink fluids until time passes. The good news is, I can breath. The bad news is, it has been a nightmare for the rest of my body.”

Wesandmichelle March 6, 2015

For Inflammatory Conditions: “I have disc issues. When the inflammation around these discs starts to put pressure on the nerves going to my feet and legs. A shot of this stuff is like gold. It looses it effect the longer you use it so save this as a last resort.”

Jason Jones · Taken for less than 1 month March 25, 2016

For Inflammatory Conditions: “Never take this drug. I am a healthy individual that had a bad experience with this drug. I Received one shot because I had the flu. 1 week later I had burning pains running all through my body. They gave me a shot in my butt and its still sore 2 sweeks later. I had trouble sleeping, couldn't breath at night and thought I was going crazy. My resting heart rate went from 49-58 beats a minute. I don't know what this drug does to the body but its not good. You have mood swings from anger, confusion, weakness, coordination etc..... Please ask the doctor what they are giving you before they inject you. It could do more harm than good later.”

Ryan · Taken for less than 1 month July 31, 2018

For Allergic Rhinitis: “This drug is terrible, I am an athlete/coach and have always been a very upbeat/motivated person. I got into a hornets nest and they gave me a shot of this instead of benadryl, I experienced weeks of the worst mood swings of my life, my heart stayed racing so hard I thought I was having a heart attack at times, and I dropped from 160lbs to 145lbs and couldn't stop eating anything in sight. Afterwards I experienced depression/fatigue beyond what I ever thought I could go through that took about 3 months to fully recover from. The migraines were terrible as well. I'm writing this because a friend just stopped by to ask about my experience, he had an allergic reaction and they gave him the same decadron shot. He went through almost identical symptoms. Try your best to avoid this stuff, the side effects aren't worth the benefits.”

Jessa · Taken for less than 1 month September 4, 2019

For Inflammatory Conditions: “Was given Decadron Shot in ER for a severe Sinus Infection and Upper Respiratory Infection..I have had a severe migraine for 2 solid days! NOTHING will ease the headache. I will never have or take Decadron again!”

jb-1983 November 23, 2015

For Inflammatory Conditions: “I have degenerative discs. I was given injections of Decadron near the area. Within a week I almost went crazy!! Felt like I was running for my life all the time. The doctors have no clue what this does to your brain, nor how to reverse its affects. Do not take this.”

Heidi RN January 10, 2019

For Allergic Rhinitis: “This drug was given to me for an anaphylaxis reaction I had from an antibiotic. I was admitted so It was given IV then by mouth to wean. I am a nurse and was blown away! I was put in drug induced psychosis on this med. I was on it about 3 weeks from 6mg down to 1mg. I was 302 initiated at the nearest ER. I passed out from sleep deprivation and thus drug changed my life for good. It's not worth It! It mimicked bipolar symptoms. I NEVER had this before! BEWARE!”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month August 18, 2015

For Inflammatory Conditions: “I was given this for a migraine, via iv . Instantly starting between my legs and moving out through my body I felt like my entire body was set on fire. I had difficulty breathing and was screaming and sobbing. Needless to say none of which helped the severe migraine that had landed me in the Er. Two days later my vaginal tissue still feels inflamed. I won't be taking this one again.”

agangx3 · Taken for less than 1 month June 19, 2012

For Inflammatory Conditions: “Headache due to AVM in brain: I was given this in the hospital via IV in hopes of bringing down a severe headache caused by my AVM. Within the first minute the drip began I started freaking out as well as developing a severe rash so they unhooked it immediately. Even after it having been stopped I was inconsolable and hyperventilating for about a half an hour. The morning after I was vomiting and had diarrhea. 48 hours later my stomach is still churning and the rash is just beginning to fade. Safe to say Decadron is on my allergy list now.”

kilkennyblue · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 25, 2013

For Multiple Sclerosis: “Spent 7 days in the hospital and 6 weeks off work but this medication got my eyesight back from complete blindness. The side effects are a bit extreme and this was the third steroid I developed an allergy to but for severe optic neuritis episodes it works.”

Ms kid May 1, 2017

For Inflammatory Conditions: “I have MS and bad back some times I had save this for a time that the doctor wasn't helping out enough. My left leg started to hurt from butt to my angle . Was taking hydrocodacetam. Eating 3 at a time ,wasn't doing enough . Started taking decadron pain level drop a lot but you need to make sure that your eating food with them . Had no side affects! Wish I had more ! Going to ask Doctor .”

patient5 March 18, 2015

For Inflammatory Conditions: “I was also given this through I.V. and started freaking out as well. I got really cold and my muscles contracted involuntarily and my teeth started chattering and grinding. My vision got dark around the edges and I could only see out of pinhole shaped . (Like looking through the wrong end of a pair of binoculars. I woke up several hours later wrapped in heatead blankets.”

Allergic February 9, 2010

For Allergic Rhinitis: “Although I have to go to the doctor and get an injection for this medication to work optimally it does work wonderful when I am having an acute allergy attack. I end up getting the shot about once a year in the early spring. This medication should be a last resort after other things have been exhausted and is only safe as an injection about every six months. When my eyes, ears, nose, and throat all become involved and inflamed I know it is time to get a Decadron shot.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month November 28, 2013

For Asthma: “Used periodically when other meds aren't giving relief. Makes breathing problems clear, relieves allergic sinus congestion and skin allergy issues dissipate.”

jennstokes · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 6, 2017

For Addison's Disease: “Longer acting steroid option. Gained weight and anxiety.”

Anonymous June 4, 2015

For Croup: “When my son has difficulty breathing from stridor associated with croup, this drug works wonders. He starts to feel relief immediately and doesn't get these symptoms for a couple of months afterwards.”

atul dhoundiyal · Taken for less than 1 month September 14, 2014

For Dermatitis Herpetiformis: “Great works at almost every type of itching”