User Reviews for Diltiazem to treat Supraventricular Tachycardia

Also known as: Cardizem, Cartia XT, Tiazac, Diltiazem Hydrochloride SR, Dilt-XR, Diltiazem Hydrochloride CD, Cardizem CD, Diltiazem Hydrochloride XR, Taztia XT, Matzim LA, Diltia XT, Dilacor XR Cardizem LA Tiadylt ER Diltzac

Diltiazem Rating Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

Compare all 75 medications used in the treatment of Supraventricular Tachycardia.

Reviews for Diltiazem

Sue June 13, 2020

“Diltiazem ER worked great for PVCs. I learned quickly that it requires a good bowel regimen. It resolved the constipation and bloating. Ask your doctor what the best regimen is for you. I need to use more than the normal Senna dose.”

Meme · Taken for less than 1 month March 3, 2020

“Started 120 mg time released once a day of Diltiazem for mild tachycardia and Raynaud's. 20 mins after first pill I had extreme migraine for 48 hours. Sinuses extremely dry. Felt, lightheaded and agitated. No energy. I had an episode after taking it so that I ended up in emergency room for high blood pressure. This medication has increased my blood pressure instead of lowering it. Went off of it and ended back 4 days later with a high blood pressure and 116 heart rate and shaking. Took a pill and my pressure and heart rate went down. Be careful trying to go off after 2 weeks on it. Waiting to see my doctor for a new medication. Not happy with this medication.”

grey · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 26, 2020

“I was diagnosed with SVT about 7 months ago. I was initially put on atenolol but switched over due to it causing weight gain and constipation. The diltiazem has been fine, but I still get a couple of short episodes. Before medication, they used to last 30+min and my heart would race to 200 bpm. Now that I'm on medication, I've had two episodes that lasted 30secs at most. Today, I just had an episode that lasted 15 minutes, but it was not as intense as it used to be. I'm considering the ablation, just because it's inconvenient to have this happen while I'm at work. However, I've been told that if I had an episode on diltiazem, I can take another pill to stop it.”

Aprelle · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 10, 2019

“I suffered for about a year with constant PVCs (premature ventricular contractions) and was eventually diagnosed with PSVT (paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia) and benign PVCs. I had never had this anytime in my life until I turned 39 and my doctor has mentioned it could be hormonal related. I was prescribed Dilitiazem 120 mg taken once daily and within 3 days my PVCs were barely noticeable. As time continued, it worked even better and also controlled my heart rate. My resting heart rate before the medication was 100 or above and after taking the medicine, It was around 75. I went in for a 3 month check up and my bp was high and so the doctor decided to increase dosage to 180. And boom, I was back to square one. Constant PVCs and fast heart rate in the 100s. After two weeks I called my doc and she lowered my medication back down again and I must monitor BP. Hopefully I can get back on track.”

Deepvirk · Taken for 5 to 10 years January 22, 2019

“I am 33 year old male, I was diagnosed with paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia (PSVT) in 2011. From that day I am taking dilzem CD 120. I don't know it is good or bad but PSVT episodes occur after every 5-6 months.”

ladygrey · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 8, 2018

“I have inappropriate sinus tachycardia (a type of SVT), and I have an elevated heart when exercising or under stress. Diltiazem removes all of the symptoms of my illness and enables me to be physically active again.”

RSouthwick · Taken for less than 1 month April 7, 2018

“I've been taking this medication for 3 days now. It does lower my blood pressure but when I first take it my blood pressure goes up about 30 points. Gives me terrible anxiety and I break out into an Supraventricular tachycardia (SVT). The first day I took it I had a massive headache. I have terrible constipation as well. Short of breath and my bones ache which has never been the case before ever. I'm afraid to drive because I feel very light-headed and dizzy. I wish there was a better medication for this condition because this does not feel good.”

Lynn · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 10, 2018

“Hi i have inappropiate sinus tachycardia which I'm taking diltiazem 200mg, Indapamide 2.5mg, andatorvastatin and my heartrate is still 120 and I've taken these for 1 year.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 11, 2017

“I am 31 years old and have been taking diltiazem 120 mg for 4 months now, after the other medications' side effects kept me from being able to function at home and work. It is partly effective at treating my supraventricular tachycardia, but it caused me to develop acne all over my chest, abdomen, shoulders and entire back. I have stop taking the medication 2 days ago to see if the acne begins to reside. I have a cardiac ablation scheduled for a week and a half from today, and will hopefully be off all medication if it is a successful procedure.”

Rapid HB · Taken for 5 to 10 years May 22, 2017

“I'm 40 yrs old, and have had around 10 episodes of aroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia (psvt) in my lifetime. My heart rate gets up to around 250 beats per minute each episode. Before taking this medicine, I had to go to the emergency room, and get a shot of adenosine, to get my heart to slow down. I talked to my doctor about having to go to the emergency room each time, because I could do nothing to slow my heart rate on my own. She prescribed me cardizem 30 mg tablets, to take when I have an episode, I take 4 tablets at the onset, and within 10 to 15 minutes my heart rates subsides. This medication has been a godsend and works great for me.”

Me's Ma · Taken for 5 to 10 years April 3, 2017

“I began having SVT in 2011. It became debilitating with almost non-stop episodes occurring continuously throughout the day. Very frightening. At first I was prescribed Diltiazem at 120 MG. That worked for a couple of days. The SVT episodes returned, again non-stop. My dosage was increased to 180 MG per day, and that has worked for me. When my Medicare Advantage plan changed how it paid for Diltiazem, I couldn't afford that prescription. I was switched to Verapamil, which I had to take at 1/2 of a pill twice each day. It was not as effective as Diltiazem. The following year, I changed insurance plans, and was able to again take the Diltiazem 180 MG extended release capsule once per day. I don't think I have side effects.”

ThickMadam29 · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 22, 2017

“I take this medication at 120mg for heart tachycardia. I went into ER with 165bpms 3 years ago and honestly I thought I was going to die. Uncontrolled blood pressure and anxiety and abuse of energy drinks. Please don't be a victim of energy drinks like me. Well Doctor put me on this for the past 4 years and my palpitations have gone from every week to every 6 months excellent medication and also makes you relax.”

MsX.LaSalle · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 2, 2017

“Was on Atenolol 25mg, once a day, had bad leg cramping, some dizziness, it wasn't helping my palpitations then Cardiologist switched me to Bystolic 5mg I had again dizziness, vivid dreams and feeling fuzzy. Started Diltiazem 30mg 3 times a day as needed and I started with one a day and palpitations and accelerated heart are controlled, I only experienced fatigue, shortness of breath and sometimes nightmares but has helped me feel better though...”

Jackeh12 · Taken for less than 1 month September 29, 2016

Cartia XT (diltiazem): “Took this medication to help my SVT. Made my heart skip beats and I felt like I was going to have a heart attack. Worst experience of my life. Never helped lower my heart rate. Lopressor never worked for me either.”

Dante31 September 20, 2015

Cartia XT (diltiazem): “I am currently taking Cartia XT 120mg once a day, and it is a mixed bag for me. I am still experiencing an elevated HR multiple times per day, and very light headed all day long. I do not feel right at all. I have also tried metropolol and lisinipril, having the best results from the latter, but it did not address my HR.”

amscott3 · Taken for less than 1 month July 11, 2015

“I just started on 120mg ER Diltiazem once daily. I am 45 male, 6'3" 210 lbs, with SVT history. I past been on Metropolol, Atenlol and Bystolic. I had horrible side effects with Beta Blockers. Doc switched me to Diltiazem because he said less side effects. My SVT results in 1-3 second arrythmias and then they stop. I havent been experiencing the SVT in quite some time but my chief complaint is the sinus HeartRate. My resting heartrate on BB was 75bbm. I weaned off BB and for 2 days was medicine free but my resting HR was 90 which quickly shot up when I did anything. I did feel alot better for those 2 days but I went back on 2.5mg Bystolic until I saw Doctor. Day 3 on Diltiazem and resting HR 85/90. Feel better but doesnt seem to slow HR down”

NanaDW · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 24, 2013

“I have taken this for over a 18 months. It works great. I have Atrial Fibrillation and Tachycardia. I had previously taken Rythmol for six months - it added 20 pounds to me and I was eating less and less. The diltiazem is working great, started on 120mg but just recently went to 180mg. Having a few more episodes but am also dealing with breast health issues - it could very well be from anxiety from this rather than actual heart issues. Very hard to discern. Would recommend this over Rythmol - hands down, and in the last 6 months have lost 10 of the 20 Rythmol put on me.”

Anonymous October 1, 2012

Cardizem CD (diltiazem): “I am on 240 mg once a day, Been taking meds since Feb 2011. Works GREAT for treating the heart problem only I have side effects. A week after starting the medication at the lowest dosage I developed sinus congestion. Increased my medication after six months and the congestion continued and now developed sinus drainage down my throat that caused a cough. Medicine was increased again and now the congestion/cough/wheezing is getting unbearable. I took myself off the medicines and within 4 days all my symptoms were GONE!”

Tasha2 · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 25, 2012

Cartia XT (diltiazem): “I took Cartia XT 120 mg once a day for thousands of PACs and PSVT. Cartia is mild, with few side effects, but good results. I took (Teva brand) Diltiazem EX 120 mg and had problems. I found out when I took leftover Cartia's that the problem is the Teva brand doesn't work as well for me.”

Anonymous December 29, 2009

Cartia XT (diltiazem): “I have had SVTs for about 18 years and was switched from Calan SR to this drug. I had no issues for about 4 years until recently when I was told that Cartia had been discontinued. Now I am on Diltiazem for 3 months and have already had 2 episodes in a month. I am going to try my hardest to get back on Cartia”

woohoo August 1, 2009

Cardizem CD (diltiazem): “I have been on this medication a couple of years for supraventricular tachycardia and hypertension and have not had ONE episode of SVT since being on it. I used to get SVT once or twice a month, so this medicine has truly made my life better. The problem I now face is with my insurance company since they are hiking up non-generic co-pays to 4 times as much as before. Since there is no generic until 2011, I must either forego this medicine and try something else or pay something I can't afford. This is frustrating when I know the medicine works.”

meaty jawz July 21, 2009

“Sometimes I get headaches that started when I switched to this from metoprolol.”

Anonymous May 23, 2009

Cartia XT (diltiazem): “I have been taking Cartia XT for supraventricular tachycardia for about 5 years. This medication has completely controlled the racing heart that I used to get from time to time. I've had no side effects. A big bonus is that eating ice cream used to trigger the racing heart beat. Now I can eat ice cream.”

Learn more about Supraventricular Tachycardia

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)