User Reviews for Diltiazem to treat High Blood Pressure

Also known as: Cardizem, Cartia XT, Dilt-XR, Cardizem CD, Diltiazem Hydrochloride CD, Tiadylt ER, Tiazac, Diltiazem Hydrochloride XR, Matzim LA, Dilacor XR, Diltia XT, Taztia XT, Diltiazem Hydrochloride SR, Cardizem LA Diltzac …show all brand names

Diltiazem has an average rating of 5.2 out of 10 from a total of 59 ratings for the treatment of High Blood Pressure. 36% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 41% reported a negative effect.

Diltiazem Rating Summary

5.2/10 average rating

Compare all 284 medications used in the treatment of High Blood Pressure.

Reviews for Diltiazem

Shannon · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 19, 2020

“I first started this dilitazem cd 180mg once a day because I had high blood pressure and skipped heartbeats. When I first took the medication I only had a few side effects which was constipation, weakness, tiredness but as the months went by my condition started to worsen and I was not myself, feeling depressed, tired all the time, pounding heartbeat if I do minimal activity, my nails started to look dead like they were dehydrated sunken in, I slept all the time, I didn’t have a appetite so I lost weight, bad anxiety, I fainted once right before my med was switched, and my heart palpitations was still ongoing. I do not recommend this medication it may be different for some but it was a nightmare for me literally. I have been switched to another medication and I am doing great and I feel great. Please be careful of this medication watch for side effects that can sneak up and cause problems.”

Lakeguy978 · Taken for less than 1 month September 4, 2020

Cartia XT (diltiazem): “What a nightmare! Ended up in ER with heavy PACs. Cardiologist put me on CartiaXT 120 MG. WHOA! I was living life as a race car. Now, I feel like I am still trying to run the race but in a 4 cylinder car rather than a race car. Exhausted. When I stand, I have to take a minute to allow my head to stop spinning and if I get up from squatting to garden or such...it feels like the lights are going to go out! Feel pressure in my chest and just plain weak. Seeing my PCP next week. I am coming off this. No way I am living life feeling like this!”

Rosine · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 4, 2019

Cartia XT (diltiazem): “I have an irregular heart beat so my dr put me on Cartia XT240 MG (diltiazem). I started having a racing heart, uncontrollable shakes, heated face, felt like my face was going to burn off, couldn't get out of bed and went to the ER 3 times in a week. My kids finally looked up side effects to this drug and I had them all. It was awful. I finally got off of it onto the plain Diltiazem. It works a 100 times better without crazy side effects. I suggest u look up side effects b4 taking anything new. I know I will. I felt like I was dying.”

Nickie · Taken for less than 1 month November 3, 2018

Cartia XT (diltiazem): “Started Cartia 120 mg xt (9th med for BP) racing heart felt like medium (lexiscan) used for Nuclear Stress test. Severe Headache, increased BP 191/123 feel like garbage, called Cardiologist wants me to continue on it! Ringing in ears won't stop. Heat pounding so hard chest hurts and severe headache. I am stopping it might as well be dead!”

SJS · Taken for 5 to 10 years August 21, 2019

Cartia XT (diltiazem): “I have been taking Cartia XT 180 (diltiazem) every other day for several years. It controls my BP and prevents SVT. There is a shortage (Aug 2019) so the pharmacy substituted Cardizem CD. Since then I have experienced episodes of rapid heart rate, increase in pitch and intensity of tinnitus and hot flashes. I just had my Thyroid levels tested today to see if my dose of synthroid is too high. (After EKG was normal). If it isn’t the Synthroid then it must be the Cardizem. Very frustrating - I don’t feel myself at all.”

Shmo Joe · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 28, 2019

“I started this medication, Dilatiziem HCL, on a nightly dose to see if it might help alleviate some other symptoms. I began to notice I could constantly hear my pulse in my right ear, and confirmed the rhythm was in perfect sync with the pulse at my right temple. Asked my Dr if I should be concerned about the sound, and they said no and that it was safe to continue the medication. The pulsatile tinnitus got annoying to me after a while, so I discontinued the medication. The tinnitus stopped just over 24 hours after my last dose.”

Qussay March 27, 2020

“I'm taking diltiazem SR 90 mg twice for hypertension , I have CKD stage 4 , it controls the blood pressure well , but with many intolerable adverse effects. I started to have flushing redness and hotness on my feet once I stand for long time , my heart racing with minimal activity or even stand from bed , and I have severe fatigue..”

Bulldogjr March 24, 2016

Cartia XT (diltiazem): “Taking the slow release, 120 mg version. I take it at night about 30 minutes before bedtime. Averts any dizziness since I am going to bed to sleep. BP has been good 125/80 generally. resting pulse of about 60. Thankfully I am optimal weight and I exercise 4 to 5 times weekly, mostly a 2 mile walk each time and about 50 situps. Drinking lots of water to stay hydrated. mild constipation so I eat a cup of yogurt at least every other day.”

Cassyroach91 · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 10, 2018

Cartia XT (diltiazem): “Taking 120 mg of cartia XT for weaning off of a beta blocker for blood pressure. Sent me into tachycardia which woke me up to going 165 beats per minute. Never in my life have I had a heart issue. As I'm taking this medicine it gives me skipped beats which are definitely uncomfortable and I have this sinus congestion that has lead to a annoying cough. I'm hoping I can wean off this medicine and not have to deal with a racing heart. Also experiencing heightened anxiety with this medicine.”

ladyjred November 3, 2016

Cartia XT (diltiazem): “I've been on Cardia XT for 1 year... Yes, pass the side affects please... Occasional dizziness, light headiness, some minor weight gain, but watching what I eat -- getting into the gym... GIVE UP THE SALT --- Processed foods are also sodium filled....The fatigue is awful on most days - I just have to get that nap in -- but preferably not in Atlanta traffic... but overall -- it definitely does it's job! blood pressure is excellent most days --- My blood pressure was 200/120 triggering A-FIB landed me in ER/Intensive Care last November for 4 days... YIKES!!!! This morning's pressure was 112/80... AMAZING!!!”

Nanny Robyn · Taken for 10 years or more January 13, 2014

“I have been taking Diltiazem 360 mg once a day for about 10 years along with 20 mg per day of Lisinopril for high blood pressure. I am 58 years old. This combination has kept me at normal BP numbers all these years. The Diltiazem capsules are 180 mg each so obviously I have to take 2 capsules (at the same time). I have noticed in the last few months my BP gets pretty low...about 90/60 and even lower. Every time I bend over I get real lightheaded not to mention feeling tired all the time so I decided to take just one capsule per day of the diltiazem along with the Lisinopril and in the last 3 days of doing so I feel 100% better! I think the 360mg is too much for me now maybe because I am getting older. My BP now stays about 117/73.”

Anonymous February 15, 2018

“Cardiologist suggested switching now to Diltiazem for less side effects and Diltiazem would be better suited for my cardio profile. Started Diltiazem 240 mg's once daily five days ago. Day one and two felt like I was tipsy with a headache that would come and go. Red facial flushing. I made sure to drink a lot of water and stayed well hydrated, avoiding all caffeine. I stopped all vitamin supplements before starting so I could have only the one variable starting the diltiazem. I felt I could not safely drive/focus for the tipsy feeling and with the strange headaches. Day three, dizziness and noticeable swelling in calves/ankles and sinus stuffiness. Day four, bouts of spontaneous rapid heart beat, high pulse rate coming on like bursts of adrenaline out of the blue to the point where my hands would start to tremble and my legs felt weak just before the episode of rapid heart beat and at this point, my legs are getting rather puffy. I am stopping the pill completely.”

Elsie · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 7, 2019

“Using 30 mg diltiazem 1/2 tab twice a day for high blood pressure. I am sensitive to all drugs and I got side effects of itchy throat, stuffy nose, ankle edema, forgetfulness, nightmares. Also bursts of odd cardiac rhythm. Have to take 12 hour decongestant and 12 hour antihistamine to survive which in turn raises b/p. Will ask for change of med, usually MD just rolls her eyes.”

Anonymous July 20, 2019

“Got off labetolol as it only made me sleep 20 hours a day ? Gave me peeling hives, and memory lost . Now taking diltiazem and I’m calmer and my skin completely cleared up, I can smell foods again. Memory cleared up have energy. And my libido has come back. Sometimes I have hot flashes that’s ok. No racing of heart or chest pains. Bathroom problems are normal. Diltiazem has been a miracle, very little bad side effects. Can't believe I waited fifteen years to stop suffering, and try other BP meds.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 18, 2021

“I was on Cardizem LA for a little over a month. After a couple of weeks I began having waves of depression, pounding heart, dizziness, and all of these symptoms worsened. The last week I was on this med, I noticed a white blister in my mouth, which spread and became very sore. Along with that, I had blisters show up on my fingers with peeling skin. I researched other reviews here and figured it had to be the Cardizem. I have stopped taking it, and have already noticed a big difference.”

RCinNYC May 3, 2009

Cardizem (diltiazem): “Started this medication over a year ago, and it has helped keep my heartbeat regular. I had an episode where my heart rate was over 200bpm, and had to go to the ER in an ambulance from my doctor's office. It has not repeated, thank goodness, and I had no side effects from this medication, which I take with Zestril (which I'd been taking for many years before).”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month February 19, 2021

“I recently shared my terrible experience with this drug. I also ended up having a huge mouth ulcer, along with blistering and peeling skin on my fingers. When I stopped taking this med, the skin began to improve. This medication should be discontinued.”

OrcaBC · Taken for less than 1 month October 1, 2017

“Was taking 180mg for 2 weeks and was not getting a decrease in BP. Was really no difference from not taking any meds. I had heart flutters and body aches where I thought I had one of the worst fibromyalgia bouts ever. Doctor doubled my dose. In one week the body pains/aches worsened, my blood pressure went up, and my heart flutter worsened. Also gave me headaches and my nails have never grown so fast in my life! 1st day off Dilitiazem and my body aches are already going away as are the heart flutters. 3 weeks of unsatisfactory treatment and would not recommend this drug to anyone. Going to Atenolol.”

Skippy · Taken for 10 years or more July 20, 2019

Diltiazem Hydrochloride CD (diltiazem): “I've been on Diltiazem for decades, beginning with 240mg. After cardiac ablation a few years ago, my dose was reduced to 180mg. Over the years with several prescription plans, I've used virtually every branded and generic version. I can't discern any difference between them. I'm now purchasing this drug mail-order, as the cash price is less than the copay from my Part D plan! Diltiazem CD/ER keeps my BP in the normal range, with no noticeable side effects.”

PeeJay · Taken for 10 years or more July 19, 2018

Tiazac (diltiazem): “I was on Cardizem for many years for hbp but has problems with tiredness. My cardiologist switched me to Tiazac 120 mg and recommended taking it before going to bed. It worked well; however, I have now been put on a blood thinner for AFib and am extremely tired, confused and listless. Still taking the Cardizem. Have a doctor appointment to see if I can get off the blood thinner. Have tried Pradaxa and now on Eliquis. Don't like what it has done to my personality and functioning.”

Nurse · Taken for less than 1 month May 16, 2019

“I have used Cartia (diltiazem) for 2 years and my BP has been WNL ( within normal limits). Last month my Rx was filled with the generic diltiazem and my BP went through the roof. I asked the pharmacy to refill my Rx with Cartia and my BP went back to normal within 24 hours, but they can no longer get Cartia from the supplier. The generic diltiazem did not work for me.”

arito December 7, 2013

Cartia XT (diltiazem): “Had high blood pressure episode of 200/120. A combination of acute stress, not enough exercise, pre-diabetic, dehydration, and not watching sodium intake. Moderately fit and no overweight. ER gave me metoprolol 100mg a day and developed an antagonistic/allergic reaction sending me back to the ER. Started on losartan 25mg for two days and BP didn't go down as expected. Stress test show normal everything except for borderline BP and rapid heart rate 112. Cardiologist put me in 120mg Cartia XT. Took a first dose last night, BP dropped 80/60 77 no symptoms, had water and feet up. Woke up with 100/70 82 laying down an 110/70 86 standing up. So far ringing of the ears, I hear my heart sounds and dry mouth. It's working so far. I will take it in the morning instead.”

stephanieho · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 29, 2013

“Diltiazem for High Blood Pressure: Atrial Fibrillation: Atrial Flutter I took Diltiazem before surgery and then continued it after for high blood pressure. It worked just fine for a while although the 12 hr only lasted for 4- 5 hours in my case. Then I started getting toothaches and really bad gingivitis. I did have gingivitis already. I also started feeling lousy and only by coincidence did I stop taking the Diltiazem. Two day later my toothaches were gone and my gums stated clearing up. I still thought it was a coincidence. I restarted Diltiazem again and the same thing happened again.”

chipind · Taken for less than 1 month June 26, 2018

Cardizem CD (diltiazem): “I developed white spots and sores in my mouth just a few days after starting this medication. I thought it was my partial plate doing it, made five trips to the dentist for adjustments, nothing worked, it just got worse. on an impulse I researched the side affects of this med, and there you go - white spots and sores in the mouth. The dentist started treating me for thrush, so now I am on steroids, and a mouth wash for that. Needless to say, I am no longer taking the med. I was also experiencing fatigue and dizziness.”

Marcia64 · Taken for less than 1 month October 14, 2013

“I will give this medication a couple more days, but so far it has been awful for me because of the side effects. I am constantly dizzy/lightheaded and feeling slightly sick to my stomach. As I have a daily 60 mile round-trip commute to and from work, that's scary. It also appears to be affecting my depth perception. ”