User Reviews for Diltiazem to treat High Blood Pressure

Also known as: Cardizem, Tiazac, Cartia XT, Diltiazem Hydrochloride CD, Diltiazem Hydrochloride XR, Taztia XT, Cardizem CD, Dilt-XR, Diltiazem Hydrochloride SR, Diltia XT, Dilacor XR, Cardizem LA Matzim LA Tiadylt ER Diltzac

Diltiazem Rating Summary

5.6/10 Average Rating

Compare all 287 medications used in the treatment of High Blood Pressure.

Reviews for Diltiazem

Lakeguy978 · Taken for less than 1 month September 4, 2020

Cartia XT (diltiazem): “What a nightmare! Ended up in ER with heavy PACs. Cardiologist put me on CartiaXT 120 MG. WHOA! I was living life as a race car. Now, I feel like I am still trying to run the race but in a 4 cylinder car rather than a race car. Exhausted. When I stand, I have to take a minute to allow my head to stop spinning and if I get up from squatting to garden or such...it feels like the lights are going to go out! Feel pressure in my chest and just plain weak. Seeing my PCP next week. I am coming off this. No way I am living life feeling like this!”

Jtinc · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 27, 2020

Dilacor XR (diltiazem): “It took a few days but I really love this medication”

Qussay March 27, 2020

“I'm taking diltiazem SR 90 mg twice for hypertension , I have CKD stage 4 , it controls the blood pressure well , but with many intolerable adverse effects. I started to have flushing redness and hotness on my feet once I stand for long time , my heart racing with minimal activity or even stand from bed , and I have severe fatigue..”

Shmo Joe · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 28, 2019

“I started this medication, Dilatiziem HCL, on a nightly dose to see if it might help alleviate some other symptoms. I began to notice I could constantly hear my pulse in my right ear, and confirmed the rhythm was in perfect sync with the pulse at my right temple. Asked my Dr if I should be concerned about the sound, and they said no and that it was safe to continue the medication. The pulsatile tinnitus got annoying to me after a while, so I discontinued the medication. The tinnitus stopped just over 24 hours after my last dose.”

BPdrugMadness · Taken for less than 1 month November 12, 2019

“I took this drug diltiazem for about 10 days- it was working well until day 6- when it started to tighten my stomach and cause a feeling of bloating and constipation. Just in time for a 4 hour plane flight too! Not comfortable. I had to quit taking it due to this feeling- I've had 5 stomach surgeries due to ruptured appendix complications, so being bloated and constipated isn't especially fun for me. Too bad since the drug otherwise was working well- I had improved energy and could stay awake longer than with the beta blocker I had been on, and my sex drive had returned also! So quitting it was disappointing- I have so many bad side effects to many of these BP drugs. So back on the Bisoprolol I go, even though I feel like a 90 year old man on it & basically castrated! May get my doc to prescribe Diovan for me next month, unless he has a remedy for this stomach tightness/bloating that Diltiazem had given me.”

Nancy · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 8, 2019

Cartia XT (diltiazem): “I could smell a strong odor when I opened the container. It is very off putting. I have taken it awhile and my stomach is always upset. I think it does not agree with me.”

Rosine · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 4, 2019

Cartia XT (diltiazem): “I have an irregular heart beat so my dr put me on Cartia XT240 MG (diltiazem). I started having a racing heart, uncontrollable shakes, heated face, felt like my face was going to burn off, couldn't get out of bed and went to the ER 3 times in a week. My kids finally looked up side effects to this drug and I had them all. It was awful. I finally got off of it onto the plain Diltiazem. It works a 100 times better without crazy side effects. I suggest u look up side effects b4 taking anything new. I know I will. I felt like I was dying.”

SJS · Taken for 5 to 10 years August 21, 2019

Cartia XT (diltiazem): “I have been taking Cartia XT 180 (diltiazem) every other day for several years. It controls my BP and prevents SVT. There is a shortage (Aug 2019) so the pharmacy substituted Cardizem CD. Since then I have experienced episodes of rapid heart rate, increase in pitch and intensity of tinnitus and hot flashes. I just had my Thyroid levels tested today to see if my dose of synthroid is too high. (After EKG was normal). If it isn’t the Synthroid then it must be the Cardizem. Very frustrating - I don’t feel myself at all.”

Anonymous July 20, 2019

“Got off labetolol as it only made me sleep 20 hours a day ? Gave me peeling hives, and memory lost . Now taking diltiazem and I’m calmer and my skin completely cleared up, I can smell foods again. Memory cleared up have energy. And my libido has come back. Sometimes I have hot flashes that’s ok. No racing of heart or chest pains. Bathroom problems are normal. Diltiazem has been a miracle, very little bad side effects. Can't believe I waited fifteen years to stop suffering, and try other BP meds.”

Skippy · Taken for 10 years or more July 20, 2019

Diltiazem Hydrochloride CD (diltiazem): “I've been on Diltiazem for decades, beginning with 240mg. After cardiac ablation a few years ago, my dose was reduced to 180mg. Over the years with several prescription plans, I've used virtually every branded and generic version. I can't discern any difference between them. I'm now purchasing this drug mail-order, as the cash price is less than the copay from my Part D plan! Diltiazem CD/ER keeps my BP in the normal range, with no noticeable side effects.”

Tim · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 9, 2019

Diltiazem Hydrochloride XR (diltiazem): “Works well for me. I am taking the generic diltiazem XR from Sun Pharma. I was taking Diltiazem XR 160mg with Lisinopril and my BP was meh. I ran out of the Lisinopril so I doubled up on the Diltiazem until I could get back in to see my doctor. My BP came in really good on the double dose of Diltiazem XR so doctor said let's make it permanent and drop the Lisinopril. No appreciable side effects. I guess everyone is different and some medications work better than others for each individual.”

Nurse · Taken for less than 1 month May 16, 2019

“I have used Cartia (diltiazem) for 2 years and my BP has been WNL ( within normal limits). Last month my Rx was filled with the generic diltiazem and my BP went through the roof. I asked the pharmacy to refill my Rx with Cartia and my BP went back to normal within 24 hours, but they can no longer get Cartia from the supplier. The generic diltiazem did not work for me.”

Elsie · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 7, 2019

“Using 30 mg diltiazem 1/2 tab twice a day for high blood pressure. I am sensitive to all drugs and I got side effects of itchy throat, stuffy nose, ankle edema, forgetfulness, nightmares. Also bursts of odd cardiac rhythm. Have to take 12 hour decongestant and 12 hour antihistamine to survive which in turn raises b/p. Will ask for change of med, usually MD just rolls her eyes.”

Bob · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 2, 2019

Cartia XT (diltiazem): “Take 180 once in morning and same at night - works for BP and heart beat . It’s a two and one drug for me .”

Nickie · Taken for less than 1 month November 3, 2018

Cartia XT (diltiazem): “Started Cartia 120 mg xt (9th med for BP) racing heart felt like medium (lexiscan) used for Nuclear Stress test. Severe Headache, increased BP 191/123 feel like garbage, called Cardiologist wants me to continue on it! Ringing in ears won't stop. Heat pounding so hard chest hurts and severe headache. I am stopping it might as well be dead!”

Josh · Taken for less than 1 month September 27, 2018

“Diltiazem ER 120mg twice a day. I didn't really feel a difference, but more anxious. I also noticed my feet and some of my legs would turn red and feel hot while walking or standing in one spot for a while. When I sit down it subsided. Discomfort in my head while laying on pillow. I just got off this medication so hopefully all that goes away. It works for some and not for others so I don't bash this medication.”

PeeJay · Taken for 10 years or more July 19, 2018

Tiazac (diltiazem): “I was on Cardizem for many years for hbp but has problems with tiredness. My cardiologist switched me to Tiazac 120 mg and recommended taking it before going to bed. It worked well; however, I have now been put on a blood thinner for AFib and am extremely tired, confused and listless. Still taking the Cardizem. Have a doctor appointment to see if I can get off the blood thinner. Have tried Pradaxa and now on Eliquis. Don't like what it has done to my personality and functioning.”

chipind · Taken for less than 1 month June 26, 2018

Cardizem CD (diltiazem): “I developed white spots and sores in my mouth just a few days after starting this medication. I thought it was my partial plate doing it, made five trips to the dentist for adjustments, nothing worked, it just got worse. on an impulse I researched the side affects of this med, and there you go - white spots and sores in the mouth. The dentist started treating me for thrush, so now I am on steroids, and a mouth wash for that. Needless to say, I am no longer taking the med. I was also experiencing fatigue and dizziness.”

Cassyroach91 · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 10, 2018

Cartia XT (diltiazem): “Taking 120 mg of cartia XT for weaning off of a beta blocker for blood pressure. Sent me into tachycardia which woke me up to going 165 beats per minute. Never in my life have I had a heart issue. As I'm taking this medicine it gives me skipped beats which are definitely uncomfortable and I have this sinus congestion that has lead to a annoying cough. I'm hoping I can wean off this medicine and not have to deal with a racing heart. Also experiencing heightened anxiety with this medicine.”

Libby · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 19, 2018

Cardizem CD (diltiazem): “HYPERTENSION DUE TO UNCONTROLLED INTRACTABLE PAIN. Enlarged Heart with small Mitral Valve leak. 30 mg x 2 per day. Worked well for about a month, then Extreme GI, and Eye Dryness occurred to the point it changed my vision and affected my receding gum lines. EVERY ONE OF THESE HYPERTENSION DRUGS HAVE GI SIDE EFFECTS AND DRYNESS that will affect your vision. Why can't I have what I really need PAIN CONTROL, then I wouldn't need a Hypertension drug.”

Cassyroach91 · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 16, 2018

Cartia XT (diltiazem): “Not really sure if this drug is for me. My blood pressure is still not normal and neither is my heart rate. It more likely raises it. Also occasional skipped beat feeling.”

Anonymous February 15, 2018

“Cardiologist suggested switching now to Diltiazem for less side effects and Diltiazem would be better suited for my cardio profile. Started Diltiazem 240 mg's once daily five days ago. Day one and two felt like I was tipsy with a headache that would come and go. Red facial flushing. I made sure to drink a lot of water and stayed well hydrated, avoiding all caffeine. I stopped all vitamin supplements before starting so I could have only the one variable starting the diltiazem. I felt I could not safely drive/focus for the tipsy feeling and with the strange headaches. Day three, dizziness and noticeable swelling in calves/ankles and sinus stuffiness. Day four, bouts of spontaneous rapid heart beat, high pulse rate coming on like bursts of adrenaline out of the blue to the point where my hands would start to tremble and my legs felt weak just before the episode of rapid heart beat and at this point, my legs are getting rather puffy. I am stopping the pill completely.”

Cisi · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 14, 2018

“Veins in leg ached and found where I had past surgery there was pain in the area this pill made me very hot for the first few hours, chronic low back pain, legs very heavy and feet bones very sore. Hands were bright red. I did help the bp however, I am super sensitive to drugs. This is my number 8 pill tried for my Blood pressure”

OrcaBC · Taken for less than 1 month October 1, 2017

“Was taking 180mg for 2 weeks and was not getting a decrease in BP. Was really no difference from not taking any meds. I had heart flutters and body aches where I thought I had one of the worst fibromyalgia bouts ever. Doctor doubled my dose. In one week the body pains/aches worsened, my blood pressure went up, and my heart flutter worsened. Also gave me headaches and my nails have never grown so fast in my life! 1st day off Dilitiazem and my body aches are already going away as are the heart flutters. 3 weeks of unsatisfactory treatment and would not recommend this drug to anyone. Going to Atenolol.”

tazlhm · Taken for less than 1 month August 19, 2017

“After two weeks on this medication, I have developed a terrible rash. The itching is unbelievable, I will not take another of these capsules regardless of the consequences. Be very aware of the side effects.”