User Reviews for Spironolactone

Also known as: Aldactone, CaroSpir

Learn more about Spironolactone.

Primary Hyperaldosteronism 5 reviews 1 medications

Heart Failure 4 reviews 119 medications

5.2
Summary of Spironolactone reviews 323 reviews 8.0

Reviews for Spironolactone

For Hirsutism: "I began taking this medication by the recommendation of my OB/GYN. I have suffered from hirsutism for around 11 years with each year bringing more and more excess hair growth. MD informed me I need to be on a birth control if taking this medication due to possible severe injury to a fetus. After one month of being on this medication, I have noticed a significant decrease in the massive amount of dark, coarse hair I had growing on my chin, lip and sideburn area. I used to shave twice a day and have a panic attack if I forgot a shaving session, but now I only have to shave in the AM and by PM, there is very minimal growth noted. Definitely continuing this medication."

JeeZee September 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Edema: "I was on this for edema, and after awhile my legs got rashes with like welts on my legs with water in them, plus it made a leg ulcer of mine look like I was burned, plus now off this I'm still have the welts full of water (blisters?),its very painfully, plus I'm dealing with the rash on my ankles! This water pill was suppose to help me, but now I'm in worse shape."

trishaRos059 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Hirsutism: "I'm a 23 year old girl who has struggled with acute hirsutism for years. It got so bad that I just resorted shaving my face and neck daily after years of waxing, plucking, threading to no avail. The hair was so bad on my neck that I sometimes had to shave it twice a day, as it was in small clusters of course black hair. Needless to say, this all caused me a lot of grief. I can honestly say that spiro has worked so well for me, as I have been using it in conjunction with laser hair removal on my face (once every 3/4 weeks), as well as with Vaniqua cream (daily), which is the only topical medication for hiritusim that I'm aware of ..in Australia at least. The results have been amazing and I feel so much more confident in myself already!!"

AJ1994 September 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "I've been on Spironolactone for 1 monuth. My face has some cystic acne yet, but it's ​now smaller than before. Everyone says it takes ​time to get better... You should wait at least 3 months​ to see the effects. But the problem is my self confidence. I think whenever​ I'm talking with someone, she just looks at my pimples. If I work on self confidence, most of the problems would be solved automatically. Even I wouldn't have any problem with my face. Having acne isn't worse than other problems like Cancer or sickness. I am just thankful for being healthy."

Nikiii September 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "I only took spiro 100mg for 10 days it was working but I was ill. After 4 days I was so dizzy with tachycardia, a year after stopping I still have the tachycardia... has anyone else suffered with this please?"

Cake252 September 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "Because I wanted results and I wanted them fast. I turned to all of the natural products to cure acne like apple cider vinegar and rose water and tea tree oil etc. Honestly I can for sure tell you I was making my skin worse. I was like heavily exfoliating every night and then putting hella oils on my skin and I didn't even know I was ruining it. My skin got super bad around finals and then didn't really get much better until spring break but then it bounced back and was worse than ever. It was the worst it's ever been at the beginning of summer so I went to the derm finally and got this stuff and no joke I haven't seen a zit on my face in so long it's just scars and my skin is like glowy just honestly try this it works 10/10 fam."

myoldskincantcometothephonern (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "I started having severe hormonal acne when I used dianne contraceptive pill. So after 3months, I stopped taking it. My acne became worst, like it was the only thing people focus on when I'm talking to them. I became hopeless and depressed. I searched online and found out about SPiro so I gave it a shot. Started on 50mg for 1 month then I'm on 100mg now. I'm on my 10th month on Spiro this week. I just noticed a few changes like my back acne clearing up, yet my facial acne (around 20pcs) is still there. They say it takes 3 months or more to see the results so I'm still crossing my fingers for this. Will update soon."

Julie_0722 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Alopecia: "As far as I'm concerned, Spironolactone is a miracle drug for female hair loss. It ABSOLUTELY regrows hair in addition to preventing further hair loss. I had a lot of hair loss around my crown from PCOS and after 6 months on spiro, my hair was growing back very thickly."

Sarah2200 August 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "At first this medication worked. Then it all went down hill. Recently went into the ER with a BP of 205/115. This medicine has stopped working for me. Also my potassium is low as well. Would not recommend this for BP"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Heart Failure: "Problems with sleeping, no appetite"

D26 (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "Since I'm now in my 30s and always take good care of my skin, my doctor thought my acne was probably hormone related so she wanted me to try spironolactone, 2 pills a day. She said it takes 3 months to start noticing a difference, however, I didn't get that far to see if there would be one, I quit at the 2 month mark due to all the side effects I was experiencing. Those side effects included the typical ones, such as upset stomach, dizziness and very low energy/drowsiness. Then more serious: upper lip numbness, rapid weight gain, cellulite & horrible breast pain. Not worth it."

CAgirl23 August 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Alopecia: "I have hair loss because of high DHEAs and testosterone Girls out there spiro is the best! I was all about natural stuff and and using herbs to lower my testosterone and DHEAs but as soon as they were working a lil bit I'd have some stressful episodes happening during my days and cortisol would push from the other side to higher my dhea again.I tried for 1 whole year and realized that nope this doesn't work. I need to be relaxed with this issue, get my life together and not be distracted with this. So I started using Spiro (50mg/day) and damn girl it worked like crazy fast like from the first week of using it! My average hair lose is about 20 hairs a day now. Its better than ever! having plan to take it for a year. Also NO side effects at all. I wish this helps if u have doubts trying it! good luck ladies."

happybeauty (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "Try it. My doctor prescribed 50mg and then upped me to 100mg in 2 months time. Haven't had a zit since he upped me to 100mg. Which is a miracle in itself. I woke up with a new zit every morning for 2 years. I use this along with an antibiotic, RetinA and a sulfur based leave on gel (all prescriptions). My life has changed dramatically. I still have scars but they get lighter once your acne inflammation goes down. Good luck!"

Stephens00000n (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "I am a teenage girl who suffers with hair growth on my face and bad acne and after 6 months of taking this medicine I'm so beyond relieved that my acne is completely gone and my hair growth is a lot less. I HIGHly recommend this medication to anyone with similar issues!!"

Chimmy chonga July 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "I was prescribed this medication to deal with having break outs monthly on my chin from hormones. I've been taking this for only a week. Let me tell you first that my body is very responsive to anything I put in it. I usually have one, MAX two bumps per month on my chin, in one week I literally have FIVE knot pimples on my chin. Not a big deal to you, but I'm 28 and have been super consistent with my breakouts, I have them down to a science. I'll be discontinuing this medication as of today. Sad because I truly had high hopes for future super clear skin, I'm glad it showed itself early."

jennyaus July 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Hirsutism: "I started taking 50mg spironolactone once a day for moderate hirsutism on my chin (up to like 30 terminal hairs), and other areas on my body, as well as moderate acne (constant breakouts). During the first 2 weeks I had crappy breakouts, and then like clock work, immediately after the 2 week mark, my skin started to clear up. I got electrolysis done and after just one visit, the hairs were no longer terminal on my chin, and most of them didn't even grow back at all (so basically the few that did grow back were like peach fuzz, which is the normal and unnoticeable hairs we have all over the body)."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "I have been on 50 mg for a week now. My skin is less oily and I have fewer whiteheads. My skin broke out a little more the first three days then it not normally does but nothing bad. I was worried to take this but it seems to be helping with my hormonal acne around my chin and cheeks."

rhdsmith (taken for less than 1 month) July 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "Great medication for oily skin. My skin was oily bad till I started this medication. Glad I discovered it."

Amw1985 June 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Hirsutism: "I just started taking this medication because I have excessive facial and body hair growth. I'm really hopefully after reading a lot of reviews on it. @lola29 anyone looking to help with the coverage of their dark patches on their face: rub orange/red concealer (laGirl has a great/cheap one) over your dark patches with a beauty blender or sponge. This will look strange and dark but it cancels out the dark patches in your skin. Then cover the orange concealer with a full coverage concealer or foundation (dermacol is amazing!) ... make sure to set it with a powder. Seriously learned this trick from drag queens and it makes me feel 100x more comfortable while dealing with this facial hair. I hope that helps someone!!!"

Ceeajones (taken for less than 1 month) June 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "I have battled acne since high school, and it is one of my biggest insecurities. I try to stay away from harsh drugs and topical treatments, so when my doctor prescribed spironolactone, I went for it. My experience with the drug was not great. It did not improve my acne in the slightest and it caused me to lose 10 pounds without any change to my diet or any increase in exercise. Overall I would not recommend this, as I saw no change in my skin. I took this medication for 3 months."

sophduf (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "I have always had annoying acne which wasn't terrible but wasn't fixed by birth control. I quit taking birth control and my doctor prescribed spiro instead. I've been on it for almost two years with only one or two little pimples per cycle. I also noticed that the switch gave me a slow steady body change. I've lost about 15 pounds over the two years without any other changes in diet or exercise. It made me a little thirstier than usual, so I'm drinking more water than I used to. No other terrible side effects like others have reported though. Overall very happy with the switch and would recommend for sure."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "Ever since my teenage years I always had problems with hormonal acne. It wasn't too extreme but it still affected my self esteem. My first year of college is when I really broke out bad with cystic acne out of NOWHERE. I wanted to wear a paper bag over my head 24/7. I barely wanted to make eye contact with anyone. I was so embarrassed of my face to the point where I stopped going to class, social events & work. I tried doxy, minoclycline & much more but nothing would work... Felt hopeless. My dermo then thought it might potentially be due to my hormones, which then she prescribed me Spironolactone. It takes AWHILE to kick in but trust me its worth it. I rarely break out now. Couldn't be more happier and confident.This medicine is a blessing"

Gabes (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "I promised myself that if this medication ended up working I would write a review and tell others. Well, glad to report it did! I never had acne until one day at 23 hormonal acne crashed the party. It stupidly took me a really long time to realize nothing over the counter was ever going to cut it. I started on 50 mg spirolactone but got impatient, even though this is a medication that I knew going in takes a long time to reach full efficacy. After a month I started taking 100mg. After 2.5 months of feeling like there was no difference it completely changed. I have not had a cystic pimple or breakout for weeks, my skin reminds me of how it was before this insanity began. Even worth the very annoying side effects that come with diuretics."

quinng143 May 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "My experience with this drug was extremely negative. I gained about 30 pounds, became anxious and depressed, was extremely tired and sluggish, and ate at least 4 meals/day. I became a very sad and narrow minded person and strayed from my parents and friends. It didn't help my acne at all so please look for any other alternative before taking this. It's not worth it and there are so many better alternatives to this."

Badexperience422 May 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Hirsutism: "I'm a 31-year-old woman with PCOS, and I've dealt with acne and excessive facial hair growth for years. I've been on metformin for around 2 years now, which was supposed to help my PCOS symptoms (in addition to being borderline diabetic), but I never really saw any results until my doctor put me on spironolactone in January 2017. Since then I've been taking a very low dose, only 50mg once a day, but it has done wonders for the hair growth! Though I would advise others to wax your facial hair rather than shaving it. When the hair is removed from the follicles, the spiro stunts its regrowth. For me, if I wax it once a week, when it does regrow it comes back barely half as thick as it used to and it's nowhere near as noticeable."

H J Jones May 20, 2017