User Reviews for Spironolactone

5.7

Summary of Spironolactone reviews 7.6 415 reviews

Reviews for Spironolactone

Pic · Taken for 5 to 10 years June 18, 2019

For Heart Failure: "Stomach pain"

Kiki June 14, 2019

For Acne: "I was prescribed 25mg spirolactone once a day for acne. I've taken Accutane 2 rounds over 10 years ago but I still have got horrible cysts on my face. My dermatologist said it was hormonal and that spirolactone would help me. After 2 weeks my face was so clear and acne free, my face/hair was no longer oily. But soon the happiness went away. By the beginning of the 2nd month my hair hair got so brittle/thin and losing over 300 hairs a day. I told my dermatologist who said its impossible because this med also helps grow hair. He took a full panel of blood work and the results said my testosterone levels were below normal. I was 4 and 8 was the minimum normal. Yes ladies we have testosterone in our bodies. He told me to stop the medication. My hair and face went back to being oily with acne but my hair is still gone. I lost over 75% of my hair and I don't know if it will grow back. I wear baseball caps to cover my almost bald head. It is so depressing because I had a full head of thick waist length hair."

Soubrette June 11, 2019

For Acne: "6 months ago, I suddenly had acne all over my face, back and neck. Nothing I tried work including cutting sweets out of my diet. I finally went to my dermatologist. She suggested Spironolactone(100mg in the morning and 50mg at night). I also use aczone and tretinoin. The first month was awful. My skin dried out so badly, it would bruise. I ended up with as much hyperpigmentation and I had acne. After taking it for 2.5 months, I started to notice a difference. My skin was recovering quicker after I popped a zit and wasn't breaking out in red as much. It has been almost 3 months and I am finally starting to see significant results. I still have about 3-5 zits but they are much smaller and I feel confident enough to go outside without make up caked on my face (something I haven't been able to do for over 6 months). If you are in the first few months of the medication, don't give up hope!"

Emma · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 23, 2019

For Acne: "I started spironolactone two years ago for hormonal acne along my jawline and neck. I also had excessively oily skin and some random dark hairs growing on my chest and around my breasts. I started on 25mg, then 50mg, then up to 100mg (sometimes I go back down to 50mg for maintenance for a few months and increase back up to 100mg if symptoms start to reappear. My doctor approved this). It took a long time to start working, at least three months before I saw any change, with full results at around six months. I've had very little side effects that I can tell. I still have slightly oily skin, large pores, some very mild acne once a month and I still get a few dark hairs on my breasts sometimes. I'm ok with this as I know oily skin ages slower. However, I rarely get any hormonal acne on my jawline and I don't get any dark hair on my chest anymore (maybe one hair appears every six months that I just pluck) so I'm really happy with this medication. I'm only on 50mg at the moment."

acswi · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 22, 2019

For Acne: "I have been on Spirolactone for 8 weeks. Overall, my skin is much clearer. I have not had any cystic nodules since I started. The first few weeks, I had increased urination but that has since stopped. Any blemishes I have quickly disappear. I am very happy with the results so far. I take 50 mg in the morning and 50mg at night."

John Doe · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 19, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: "I'm a 46 yo male and am taking spirolactone because of the nasty high blood pressure side effects of other drugs. Been taking this for 3 months, whilst it has lowered by BP it's not entirely effective, I'm still around 138/90. Side-effects have been bloatedness and wind, toilet 4x per day and occasional diarrhoea, weight gain, loss of libido."

Lili · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 15, 2019

For Acne: "Spironolactone has been a blessing! I have the Mirena IUD and was prescribed by my GP for some small spiky hairs and acne that we believed to be triggered by Mirena. However I love the Mirena apart from those little problems so we looked to Spirolactone. I've only been taking 50mg a day, and have noticed good results. My skin is so much clearer, I've had way less Mr. Spikes and MY BOOBS ARE BIGGER. This is amazing for me considering I am a very petite girl. Side-effects have been very small, I had some shakiness the first week and do need the bathroom more but nothing major. I expect to stay on it a long time."

Dp · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 8, 2019

For Acne: "I am never someone to write reviews, but spironolactone really is the only medicine that has ever get rid of my acne, it really works. I am a 29 year old female that has struggled acne most of my life. I am now 7 months in and only have scars and some pigmentation. if you are woman that has a lot of acne here near your jawline this is definitely what you want to try! I'm so grateful for this pill! To echo what others have said it really does take three or four months to start working so be patient even though it's really hard."

Miss M · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 3, 2019

For Acne: "I got a prescription for spirolactone 50mg a day to treat my hormonal acne (been on accutane 3 times before). It really did get worse before it got better for the first two months- jaw and chin breakouts and extreme dry patches. However in month 3 I could see a big improvement. I started using Eucerin's adjunctive soothing cream during the day and continued with differin at night and holding thumbs that it get even better from now on."

Jane April 29, 2019

For Acne: "The year I turned 21, my acne became unbearable. I did not even want to leave the house. I would cry about it almost every day. My dermatologist prescribed me 100mg of spironolactone and tretinoin cream. The first two months were terrible. I knew I was purging, but it felt like my acne was never going to get better. It drastically affected my mood and I turned down plans left and right because I did not want to see anyone. Every morning before any of my college roommates woke up, I would run to the bathroom to cover my acne so no one would see. I even broke down in tears in front of my friends because I was so frustrated. Fast forward to 4 months later and my skin is CLEAR. I am so happy it is almost difficult to explain. My advice is to be patient. Just know that it really does take 4 months but after that, you will feel like a new person."

AnonymousAnonymous April 24, 2019

For Acne: "Going on the second week of this taking spirolactone for my acne at a dose of only 12.5mg because I have blood pressure at the low end of normal. Since yesterday I’ve been feeling slightly nauseous and brain fog all day and I didn’t take my dose for today. I don’t know if it’s from the medication or what but I’m too nervous to take it anymore. It hasn’t done anything for my acne yet but I don’t know if taking it longer it would have helped or not but I’m too scared to risk it. I really wanted this to work because I’m not one to want to be put on birth control. Maybe I’ll try it again once I feel better to see if it actually was the medication making me feel sick like this or something else."

Luna April 21, 2019

For Acne: "Spironolactone has worked miracles for me! I had to go off of birth control pills last July for health reasons. By August my face would have at least 30 breakouts at all times. I have struggled with acne since I was 12, I am now 25. I took accutane when I was 18 but the acne just came back. Birth control helped but did not clear my skin. I started on 25mg of spironolactone in August and then went up to 50 mg in October. I am 5’7” 115lbs so my dermatologist wanted to start me off slow to adjust. The dermatologist then increased my dose to 150 mg in December and then to 200mg in February. I did not see any results until the first of March so it took 8 month for it to help me. Now in April, I am completely clear. I haven’t had a breakout for 6 weeks! Spironolactone is amazing. I’m so glad I stuck it out and did not quit taking when it was not helping for so long. I plan to cut down to 100-150mg to maintain."

Matador78 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 19, 2019

For Hirsutism: "I started taking spirolactone about 10 months ago for PCOS, hirsutism, and to lower my free testosterone, it was at 11. Starting dosage 25mg twice daily for 4 months = free testosterone lower to 8.5. Doctor increase dosage to 50mg twice daily for 6 months = Free testosterone is at 7.9, slightly less facial hair, facial skin is clear and smooth (previously had orange peel skin), slightly less oily skin too, no weight gain. Doctor has increase dosage to 100mg twice a day to continue to lower free testosterone and hopefully be less hairy. Will post update in 6 months."

Anonymous April 15, 2019

For Acne: "I am currently 21 and until I was about 19, I was one of those people who had annoyingly clear skin. I started to breakout on my cheeks, chin, and jawline. I was in and out of the derm (who kind of sucked at her job in hindsight) for the past two years taking topical antibiotics, retinoids, and trying and hating minocycline. I really had a gut feeling it was all hormonal so I was prescribed spiro (finally). I have been on this pill almost six months now and I am probably 80/90% clear now. Around 2/3 months I broke out really bad and was honestly scared to keep taking it. I stuck it out and about a month later started to see results. I haven't got a real cysts since the 3 month mark. I am way less oily and feel like I'm way more in control of my skin. It's definitely not perfect yet but there's progress. So don't be discouraged!! It can take our bodies a long time to adjust and process hormones. Everyone is different! Be patient and in the meantime try to stay active and eat healthy."

aremkay · Taken for less than 1 month April 11, 2019

Aldactone (spironolactone) for Edema: "I took chlorthalidone and amlodipine for several years for high blood pressure (HBP). The latter caused unsightly leg edema. Nine days ago the chlorthalidone was replaced by spironolactone, and potassium supplements were stopped. My BP remains OK, and since the change, the edema has decreased noticeably."

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 10, 2019

For Acne: "When I first started taking spironolactone my skin cleared instantly and it is perfect clear 5 months later. However- 3 months after taking it I had to get my gallbladder removed from severe attacks and stomach pains. I looked it up and there were lawsuits on this as a side effect. No acne pill is worth the pain I have went through (and am still going through)"

MissLeopard83 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 4, 2019

For Hirsutism: "I was diagnosed with Polycystic Ovaries at age 19 in 2003. My doctor started me on spironolactone for the hirsutism on my sideburns, chin, lip, and belly area. I took the medication for several months and never noticed a decrease in the hair growth or the hair growth becoming lighter. Apparently, it doesn't work for all patients with PCOS."

N · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 3, 2019

For Acne: "I started this medication January 17th. My dermatologist said it would clear up a few acne bumps that I get on my jaw line and chin. I have no other problem places on my face. I started out on 50mg, once a day. The first couple days I had horrible stomach issues and a pounding headache. After the 2 days the stomach issue went away, but my headache never went away. About a week after starting this medication the purge happened. I immediately started reading reviews and decided it was normal and it would be fast, furious and temporary. By week 3 I had acne everywhere! My cheeks, nose, forehead etc. The doctor decided to up my dose to 100mg and also gave me 100mg of Doxycycline. She said it would kill the acne with 3 days. Another week went by and I was getting dizzy, dry, my left leg was going numb, headache was blinding and more acne now moving onto my neck. I let this go on until mid March. I flushed the medicine. I feel so much better now."

Rach April 3, 2019

For Acne: "I’m so happy I went on spironolactone! I was so ready to try anything (even accutane) when spironolactone was prescribed to me. I didn’t hesitate to go on it but I did have doubts in my mind about wether it would work or not bc I have gone thru many pills. Before taking this pill I didn’t think I had hormonal acne because I had acne all over my face and in my mind hormonal acne was meant to be on the jawline and chin. The dr explained to me that she would like to put me on this pill because I had been telling her that my skin would break out like crazy and the calm down for like a week before breaking out again - a sign of hormonal acne. My derm. put me on 50 mg to take at night but that didn’t change anything so she raised my dosage to 100 mg. About 3 months after taking my first pill I saw major change in my face. Of course it gets better slowly which is why you’ll one day look back at pics and be like woah my skin really is a lot better! Didn’t have enough typing space to write more :("

Hopeful · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 1, 2019

For Alopecia: "I have been using a low dose of 25mg for 3 months now. Originally I noticed less shedding but currently my hair is thinner than before. Having moderate shedding now with diffuse hair loss. Has not improved the condition of my hair at all."

Nygal April 1, 2019

For Alopecia: "Have been on spironolactone for 25 mg daily for 2 months and have noticed a significant reduction in hair loss!!! It works!"

little my March 31, 2019

For Acne: "I was prescribed spironolactone for acne. It's off label and rarely prescribed in the UK. My acne is very severe, and I've tried every acne treatment apart from birth control pills as I have a stroke risk. My dermatologist prescribed me 100mg spironolactone to take once a day. My acne continued to worsen for the first few months. I did some online anecdotal research and began splitting the dose, taking it every 12 hours. It started to work! My dermatologist supported the dose-splitting, and doubled my dose (100mg twice a day) and it's been really working since! I have the occasional spot or two and especially around my period. But it feels like an absolute miracle for me! I probably pee and drink a bit more, I've been having two periods a month (although it's more like two half periods) and my skin is significantly drier (all over) even than it was on roaccutane. I still take each day as it comes, but I wish there would be more research into spironolactone so it could help more people like me."

S. · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 23, 2019

For Acne: "Spironolactone worked great for my acne. It did take around 3 months for it to noticeably work, but it has done wonders! The only side effect I've noticed is that a have extremely vivid dreams/nightmares every night. I only saw one other person to mention this..so I don't know if it's extremely rare or if no one else has noticed."

Clawdz · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 18, 2019

For Acne: "I’ve been on spiro for my acne for exactly 2 months. I’m taking 100mg. 50 in the morning and 50 at night. The only side effect I get is having to pee constantly but it’s not that serious. My acne has gotten worse, I now get acne in spots on my face where I never had it before. The acne come up in little balls and they never reach to a head they kind of just stay under the skin then rise up and slowly slowly SLOWLY get smaller. I hope that made any sense. The acne is also bright red and I hate my face so much. I’m gonna stay on the medication because I’m looking for the light at the end of the tunnel - it is suppose to get better"

Chekei · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 16, 2019

Aldactone (spironolactone) for Alopecia: "I started taking spiractin 50mg 10 months ago for alopecia and saw instant results. In 2 weeks my hair stopped shedding and I grew back all the hair I had lost in past 2 years. However it just stopped working 4 months ago and now I’m shedding over 200 hairs a day. My dermatologist doubled the dose to 100mg 2 months ago but unfortunately it’s made zero impact :("

Symptom checker

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)