User Reviews for Spironolactone

Also known as: Aldactone, CaroSpir

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Spironolactone.

Primary Hyperaldosteronism

Heart Failure
5.2

Summary of Spironolactone reviews 7.9 348 reviews

Reviews for Spironolactone

For Edema: "I'm a 64 year old Male, I'm 6'1" and weigh 297lb. I am borderline Diabetic, and had Asthma my whole life. I have been on Spironolactone 50Mg (1 a Day) for over six years. At first it seemed to work as it lowered my BP and helped with my swollen ankles and feet. I noticed that Spironolactone improved my Breathing some after taking for about a month. I now have a red welt or blister on my left shin near my ankle. Its been there for almost a year. My blood pressure is still good due to Losartin, but my ankles are now always swollen and my breathing is back to the way it was, so-so. I have read terrible reviews about this drug on this web sites as in premature Deaths caused by long time use of Spironolactone, plus Serious levels of high Potassium that required Hospitalization. I am currently taking (all Generic) Lipitor, Losartin, Spironolactone, Theophylline, Singular, Xopenex and Combivent inhalers. I also take Lexapro for depression."

RickJ1941 February 21, 2018

For Acne: "I've only taken about a weeks worth of this medication, but I've experienced dizziness, tiredness and cramps which is the worst, feels like menstrual pain or contractions every 5 mins, like I'm about to have a baby or something. My menstrual cycle is usually 4th day very light, I'm still bleeding on the fourth day. Took pain killers still experiencing terrible cramps, this is not for me, I'll take the acne any day"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) February 19, 2018

For Acne: "I’ve been using Spirinolactone for 4 months with no results. I was hoping to see any, but I didn’t. My skin was as bad, as before. Also this Med goes through our liver and in a long run can cause digestive problems. It gave me cramps, I lost some weight , skin stopped being oily, but acne didn’t go away. I used it with RetiA and benzoyl peroxide cleanser. "

Innapolutska February 13, 2018

For Hirsutism: "57. Spiro for 2 months. PCOS. Bleached hair from 11-17. Shaved from 2017 until now. Black & white course on all body parts including toes, fingers, beard, breast, upper thigh, pubic extreme, arms, eyebrows, back, buttocks, abdomen. On Metformin for years for mild diabetes. 80 extra pounds but not until last 20 years but still hairy. Post menopausal. No high blood tests probably due to menopause per Dr. 50 mg 2x day. Side effects 1 mo, nausea, headaches, tired. Gained 7 lbs in 2 mos. Pores on nose smaller. Drier skin and hair. No reduction in acne or hair. Hair on face so course it is painful to rub it. Feel like a man. Has stopped me from ever dating again due to not wanting to shave everything anymore. Depressed (was before). Asking to up dosage."

Mimimama78 February 11, 2018

For Alopecia: "I was put on this for HS. I was also diagnosed with Alopecia 10 years ago and have always had issues with thinning hair. Hair is curly and has volume so I never really did anything about it, it was easy to hide. I stopped the Spironolactone because it didn't help my HS, having no idea about its other benefits. Stressful times arose, hair suffered, started to see that bald shine and it was/is VERY noticeable. I researched, learned about spirono, called my derm and he put me back on, 75 mg a day. I kid you not people, my hair is showing regrowth already, few cm. Of course having alopecia a lot are the thin white hair that hopefully turn into thicker darker shafts but most are my natural color brown. Its only been 2 months. I also use cold pressed castor oil and onion juice one the weekends. Started Nov. 22nd and today is Feb. 6 2018. No side effects."

Ms Martian February 7, 2018

For Gender Dysphoria: "Worked great for a while, then I started losing weight, feeling tired, trouble swallowing, etc. My GP and the multiple specialists she sent me to told me it was an eating disorder and referred me to an eating disorder clinic...honestly don't trust MOST doctors after this. It turned out Spironolactone was the cause, because when I asked the Endocrinologist(not the one that originally prescribed Spiro for me) prescribing my meds to switch me to an alternative, the side effects went away and now I'm able to eat the same portions as those around me. if this medication works for you, great. But if you do start feeling unusually tired, bloated, can't eat, cant sleep and have trouble swallowing...GET OFF OF IT! It's not worth it."

ArwenV February 5, 2018

For Acne: "I'm 36 and have suffered painful big red ugly monthly cystic acne since the birth of my 2nd child at age 29. Usually the cysts take 1-2 weeks to stop hurting and 1 month to go away. However by my third day of spiro the cysts stopped being "active" and are significantly smaller. My chin is not as oily. I have only been on the medication 2 weeks and have not experienced any side effects and hopefully won't. I'm amazed at the results so far."

EmmaMarina February 1, 2018

For Acne: "I was first perscribed Spironolactone when my hormonal acne was becoming devastating, around age 24. I would wake up every day with new cystic acne. I became very depressed and even missed work multiple times due to my breakouts. I started taking a low dose of this drug around August 2012. After a few months, I did not notice much of a difference. Once my doctor increased the dose, I really started noticing significant results. It changed my life. Spironolactone would have had a faster effect if I identified by triggers sooner. I have found that B12 supplements and soy may still cause me to break out."

No Banana Amanda January 26, 2018

For Acne: "I’m 38 and started getting hormonal acne in my early 30’s with painful cysts that took weeks to go away. I tried so many OTC and prescribed topicals that never worked and sometimes made it worse. I finally went to the dermatologist in July and she put me on 100mg of Spiro. My face got so much worse in the beginning and I just wanted to quit! But I read the reviews and decided to be patient and give it time. I didn’t see results until a good 4 months after starting it. I’m now 6 months in and my skin is the clearest it’s been in years. I know it’s no fun but for me those few months of awful breakouts was so worth it! Be patient! It really does work!"

AprilKT (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 20, 2018

For Acne: "I have been on spironolactone for about 2 months now due to cystic acne. Although a cyst on my face has not gone away yet, I do know it takes about 3 months for the medication to work. My skin has been relatively clear otherwise where I normally get severe breakouts. Although, I have had some strange side effects. My breasts have been extremely tender and have increased in size. I thought I had developed lumps in my breasts, so I went to my primary care and she told me the lumps were not abnormal and it was just my body reacting to the medication! I do recommend seeing your doctor if you have severe side effects. Otherwise, I have only experienced slight nausea and slight dizziness. I am on 50 mg twice a day."

goody12 January 3, 2018

For Acne: "I’ve been on it for about 3 years and love a lot of what it does for my complexion. My skin used to be 90% cysts and blackheads but now I rarely get any flare ups. However, I did go through a really rough patch when I was learning to work with this medicine. I was extremely sensitive to light, had VERY dry skin, and had to limit my potassium intake. I worked out all the kinks and learned how to live with it. I do miss eating fries and everything else with potassium, but the pros outweigh the cons for me."

Kttt December 29, 2017

For Acne: "I have suffered from mild acne for as long as I can remember but when I turned 19 it got out of hand. I was waking up every day with 2-3 new whiteheads and cysts, most of the time being too painful to wash my face. I went to the dermatologist as soon as the pain started and was put on different creams and antibiotics for two months. In the span of that time my skin had gotten worse, leading me to the realization that there was something internally wrong with me. I was diagnosed with PCOS a few days later and put on spirolactone. I have been on this medication for 8 months and I kid you not my face has transformed for the better. What I would tell others who are contemplating getting off is to stay on and be persistent. It gets better!"

Sage1128 December 29, 2017

For Hirsutism: "I've been under Spiro 100mg daily for 5 months for secondary hirsutism (I have congenital adrenal hyperplasia). I'm taking it combined with birth control and dexamethasone.... I can say that at the beginning the only thing I could notice was lightheaded, stomach ache and peeing a lot! My stomach was acting up for 2 months, took a while until a figure out how to effective get rid of the lightheaded sensation and my body "adapts" to the pee issue... I tried to change medication time and now at morning doses works out ok. It took 3 months until I notice my unwanted hair geting "thinner" and slowing growing. I still hairy af but I saw some improvements. Going into my 6 month taking spiro and now the pharmacy has changed the brand. I feel it less effective"

Miss Chaves December 28, 2017

For Hirsutism: "I’m a 27 year old African American woman and I’ve been taking Spiro (100 mg) for hirtusim off and on for 4 years. I’d go off of it because it caused a significant amount of weight loss. I was already slim to begin with so weight loss was not something I could tolerate. But when the excessive hair growth came back about 6 months later I stayed on for another year. Fast forward to 4 years later weight loss is no longer an issue but I feel like the hair on top of my head is a lot thinner than it was before. Starting in January I’m thinking about taking Spiro in conjunction with Hairfinity. I’ll provide an update at the end of March! Wish me luck ladies"

SthrnBelleBritt December 27, 2017

For Hirsutism: "Hey so I am 25 hirsuitism sufferer, also have quite ‘male’ oily skin.My hair is a little on my jawline, chest, abdomen. No hormonal imbalances- been thoroughly tested. I first tried spiro a couple years ago and my doc put me on 50mg first then, as I was noticing change but couldn’t afford to get laser we upped to 100mg- this was for about 3-4 months. I started noticing that I was getting quite prominent leg veins. Stopped altogether (gradually ofc). Then.. found dianette- this works for me much more than Yasmin. Plus great boob growth. Figured after a while I would go back on Spironolactone with a 25mg dosage to boost effect. I also got a deal for laser because of my hirsuitism (just ask). Don’t get IPL- it burns skin- only go professional x"

Spirodianette (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 17, 2017

For Alopecia: "I have excessive hair loss and it’s been like that for months maybe a year now. Anyway I first wanted to try natural stuff but it never stopped the hair loss. After months of hair loss I decided to ask my Doctor what medicine would reduce the hair loss caused by high testosterone and she gave me Spironolactone 50mg. I have been googling about it before she gave it to me for months and based on people experience and the comments here I was excited like finally something would stop it. I only took it for 5 days and OMG the hair shedding I had in every day was crazy clumps and clumps. I stopped it and the crazy shedding was still there for two weeks. Plus I hardly get acne and I got like 5 spots in each cheek. Obviously people are different but it didn’t work for me"

Jojo111111 December 12, 2017

For Acne: "I honestly can't even tell if its doing anything at all..."

LS19 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 3, 2017

For Acne: "At first I thought this was a miracle drug because it cleared up my hormonal cystic acne FAST. My skin was flawless after just one month. However, the side effects were terrible. I was so lethargic I could barely do anything, I would sleep most of the day, always lightheaded, my cycle was completely out of whack, and I gained weight like crazy. I just didn’t feel right at all. When I went back to my doctor, she said Spiro can’t be the culprit of all my side effects (mainly the weight gain) and so she kept me on it, but lowered it from 100mg to 50mg. I disagreed and stopped taking it. After a week of being off of it, my energy & happiness totally returned. My skin is no longer perfect but I’d rather have acne than be fat and lifeless."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 30, 2017

For High Blood Pressure: "I was prescribed Spironolactone 25 mg, to take with my Hydrochlorothiazide (HCTZ 25 mg), for high blood pressure and low potassium levels. Just after I took Spironolactone with my HCTZ my BP was 136/77. Hours later I started having severe uncontrollable whole body tremors and bad headaches. I checked my BP and it was 167/84. I checked BP 15 minutes later and it was 180/93! Spironolactone was stopped. I wonder if this raises cortisol levels."

melantha1962 (taken for less than 1 month) November 24, 2017

For Hirsutism: "I have never written a review before but since I find reviews so helpful I figured I owed it to the universe to give back. I started taking 25mg of Spironolactone twice a day for about two months for both excessive hair growth on my face AND for some hormonal acne. I have been taking it in conjunction with laser hair removal and let me say it has been LIFE CHANGING. I am not longer scared for someone to stand under me or to have my bf touch my face. I have been liberated from the chin hair dictator and I am so thankful. Also, I have noticed a sizable improvement in my skin. My derm suggests I up a dose to get full improvement in my skin and I am not taking 50mg twice a day. I have had no noticeable side effects! Highly recommend it"

Liberated! November 14, 2017

For Hirsutism: "Been on this drug only for a week and I have noticed a decrease in facial hair. Started in conjunction with Ortho Cyclen though. Have had the following side effects —very very tired, heartburn, nausea, lack of appetite, vivid dreams, and peeing A LOT I only take 25mg once per day Even with these side effects, I look forward to seeing how it goes since I am seeing an improvement in only a week"

Novasmom (taken for less than 1 month) November 9, 2017

For Alopecia: "So I have been taking this medication for a little over a month for various reasons. I have very thin hair and recently got worse...and also my acne. I tend to break out here and there with small pimples in my chin but because I was stressing I got cystic acne. It got so bad I wanted a doctor as soon as possible. Within a week of taking the medication I noticed my skin clearing up...my cystic acne got smaller. However I am noticing that I have lost significant weight ...almost 8 pounds already. I am already thin so I didn't want to lose anymore. I also had chills one day and even puked when I was on this medication.. This only occurred once so I figure it was fine. SO far it been ok , for hair I haven't noticed much difference yet"

Ang1563 November 3, 2017

For Acne: "I've only been using this for maybe 2 weeks and no joke my face has cleared up dramatically. I've also lost some weight and my hair doesn't fall out as much. This medication was Heaven sent!!"

C.s (taken for less than 1 month) October 11, 2017

For Acne: "Honestly- I tried seriously every single OTC and prescription acne product there was to try. Both before and after I had a baby. I’m 24 and this is THE wonder drug. I’ve been taking spirinolactone for 7 months and I’m almost positive I never want to stop. I can tell you I had the worst cystic acne there ever was, every other day I had a new one and this went on for months where I wouldn’t even leave the house unless it was to get it injected- I’m also an avid picker and had terribly low self esteem . Anywho- if you’re able to take this medication— I would try because it might be the wonder drug for you too."

Dani123456 October 7, 2017

For Acne: "I had planned to write a lot more but it doesn't allow it. I had some devastating hormonal acne all around my jawline/neck area, basically the same area where a man would have a beard. I was never interested in taking Accutane due to the side effects but did some research and found Spironolactone *Aldactone as an apparent successful treatment. I've been taking it for 10 months now and my skin has never been better. I still get occasional pimples but I'm thankful for the drastic change. I started on 50mg ED for two weeks then upped it to 100mg ED for about 6 months or so and now I take a tablet (100mg) once to twice a week. I recommend it for anyone you legitimately has deep cystic hormonal acne that is on your face where a beard would grow."

veaconnell October 5, 2017