User Reviews for Spironolactone

Also known as: Aldactone

Learn more about Spironolactone.

Primary Hyperaldosteronism 5 reviews 1 medications

Heart Failure 2 reviews 118 medications

4.7
Summary of Spironolactone reviews 245 reviews 7.9

Reviews for Spironolactone

For Acne: "This medication took a year (yep, 12 months) to clear my skin...but it did! At 22, I was sick of my moderate acne ruining my self confidence. Now I rarely wear makeup, rarely have any zits to pop or manage...it's wonderful! Such a blessing. Also- I had a bad acne breakout for a month when I started, and saw initial effects in 6 months."

Emilykkkkkkkkkkk August 23, 2016

For Hirsutism: "I was prescribed this for both hair and acne on my face and chin, and it helped only very minimally. I was on it for several months at a 100mg, then upped to 200 mg dose per day. The hair did eventually start to lessen in re-growth, but the acne was just the same. The side effects, however, were completely not worth continuing. I little heartburn, and excess peeing, I can deal with, but I was getting my period every 12-14 days! Not just spotting, but the full deal!. Not thank you!! and that wasn't mentioned anywhere as a possible side effect, so... not thrilled."

ally k August 15, 2016

For High Blood Pressure: "I have suffered secondary hypertension ever since I were in first grade. I am now 73 and been on 2 to 4 blood pressure meds ever since I was 21 years old. And in the last two years I have been in the ER 10 times with blood pressure way in the danger zone. One episode left me with a aneurysm on my heart. After my Nephrologist took over my case, he change my meds and added spirolactone which immediately dropped my pressure to normal. Thank goodness someone knew of this med, as my heart Dr. and my primary Dr. for years had no idea what to do."

ezgoman (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 14, 2016

For Acne: "At 24 I started breaking out worse after discontinuing the pill and switching to an IUD (I love it, btw). I had cystic acne along my jawline and on my neck, so I went to a derm and she prescribed me 25 mg daily for 2 weeks, then 50 mg daily. I broke out badly at the 2 week mark and again at the 4 week mark. I went back to the derm after 6 weeks of being on spiro and I was upped to 100 mg daily. I'm finally starting to see results. I'm on week 8 of being on spiro, and while my skin isn't completely clear, I definitely see a difference. I should also note I'm using Retin-A topically. I do experience side effects on spiro like increased thirst, breast tenderness, spotting, some cramping, & increased urination, but I'm willing to deal with this"

Anonymous91 August 13, 2016

For Acne: "Started taking this drug about 3 months ago. It took about a month to completely clear up my chest and back acne. It had a significant effect on my facial acne. The cysts only last a couple days now and my face is noticeably clearer. Very happy with this result! The only side effect I personally am not super happy about is the weight loss. I am 5'8" and usually 125-130 pounds. Three months into this drug I now weigh 114 pounds and feel very tired all the time. I have tried drinking more water than usual and have increased my sodium intake which is helping with the light headed-ness. Otherwise I have not changed my eating habits and the pounds keep coming off. Not sure how to combat this beside stuffing myself."

MegCan (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 13, 2016

For Acne: "I have struggled with severe acne on my face, chest, and back since I was 14 and I am now 22. I had cystic acne that was so painful and embarrassing that I would often cancel plans so I wouldn't have to go in public. I have seen multiple doctors and dermatologists and nothing has worked for me. I have tried everything but accutane because I'm too scared about the side effects. I wanted to try spiro because my sister who had acne worse than me is taking spiro and it completely cleared her acne. I started at 50mg per day in April and it did cause an initial flare up but after the flare up subsided I didn't get anymore cystic acne. I still got smaller spots of acne but no more painful cysts. Now I am at 75mg per day and I hardly ever get acne!"

Jgirl888 August 10, 2016

For Acne: "53 female and have cystic acne and very oily skin .... Been on it about a month and I'm over the top happy no more itchy painful bumps in my scalp ears and face.... I am having hair loss but will push thru to see if it subsides .... Having dealt with acne most of my life I'll take thinner hair for clear skin any day ☺️"

41rice (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 8, 2016

For Acne: "I saw dermatologist for mild, persistent acne. I'm a nineteen year old female and I've been having persistent acne problems for about a year now. My derm gave me the spiro. I was not sure I really needed it, but I started taking it. First few weeks, smooth sailing. Then, BAM, worst break out of my entire life. My skin was red, irritated, bumpy and dry. My acne has become hard and cystic. I knew that there would be a 'purging phase' so I tried to have patience. I was on it for about two months, but I'm fed up. This drug has given me hyperpigmentation I will have to deal with for months. Only reason I didn't give this drug a 1 is because it did decrease my oil production a bit. Not worth it. I will be starting Accutane soon."

lanafin (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 3, 2016

For Acne: "Took it for hormonal acne at many different doses. Worked well in the beginning, but my dermatologist had to keep increasing my dose. I finally maxed out at 200mg a day, and results weren't optimal. I finally took accutane. The bad: as my dose increased, I gained weight. It took almost 18 months to lose the 10lbs I gained. I'm a very athletic and active person, too. Do I recommend it? debatable"

AnSF99 (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 29, 2016

For Hirsutism: "Been on Spironolactone for a month 50 mg x 2 daily, for excess facial (chin) hair, with bonus acne clearing up I'm told. My results so far no improvement on hair. I'm trying not to give up but I have gained weight. My legs, mostly upper thighs, are getting bigger too quickly to be me just gaining a few pounds. I can deal with fuller breasts just not the rest of me. My dermatologist said she never heard of this and try and stick it out 3 months at least, but I see online others experienced weight gain too, shocked she dismissed so quickly. I'll do a couple more months to see if hair improvement. Plucking and shaving everyday gets old, just don't want to get any bigger in the meantime. So far, peeing yes, fuller yes, heartburn yes, hair yes."

TBred July 27, 2016

For Acne: "I have been on spiro for almost a year now. I was prescribed 50mg a day for issues like cystic hormonal acne and dandruff, all related to seborrheic dermatitis. In addition to the spiro, I also take Ethinyl Estradiol based birth control, a generic version of Ortho Tri Cyclen. Since taking the spiro, I haven't had a single breakout! Not even like a tiny blemish. It's clearly worked as intended. It has minimized scalp issues as well, although my face is still oily but I suspect that is connected to a moisturizer I have yet to find a replacement for. Notable side effect: definite, jiggly weight gain in hips, butt, and thighs that I never had b4! This is contrary to lots of reviews I've seen for Spiro that say it has helped women lose weight"

Knf (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 22, 2016

For Acne: "I have been dealing with acne since I was about 16 and then once I turned 19 in college my skin became much worse with stress and everything else. For the past four years I have been switching back and forth between various types of antibiotics. Finally, in March of this year I was prescribed spironolactone that I started on April 17th. All I have to say is that it works. It definitely was an uphill battle but now almost three months in I barely break out. There are definitely side effects but to me they are worth it. You will have to decide for yourself. As an added bonus, my PMS has decreased tremendously. Also, I did lose weight and a cup size."

breannef July 14, 2016

For Acne: "I was prescribed 50mg of Spiro a day with topical Tretinoin Gel (19 year old female here). I started noticing improvement in my acne after I introduced that topical gel into the equation (so I imagine that the topical caused most of the improvement). Two weeks after starting Spiro, I started noticing hair all over the sink and a ton in the shower drain. I experienced tightening of the throat on and off after a week (a subtle annoyance, not super severe) and didn't attribute it to the Spiro, but eventually I realized my voice sounded very deep, unacceptable as I'm a singer. I had no idea this was a side effect until I looked up Spiro side effects and it explained everything. I stopped taking it after this and won't go back at this dosage."

hiitsemilie (taken for less than 1 month) July 11, 2016

For Acne: "I was prescribed Spironolactone for my "adult" acne. I am now 21 years old. I've been on the medication for a little over 7 months now. Although my acne has mostly subsided, the symptoms were NOT AT ALL WORTH IT. From the first month, I experienced abnormal bleeding and spotting. I expected this since my doctor told me it's normal to happen for the first 3 months. Thing is, it never stopped. It's now been 7 months and I still wake up, peeing dark brown blood. I actually urinate quite often now as it is considered a 'water pill'. I've also gained about 10 pounds and my whole body feels swollen and bloated. I experienced intense pain in my ovaries and it was painful to have intercourse- I saw the gynecologist and the ultrasound was clear. She told me that Spironolactone could be the cause, as it has been reported before. My dermatologist never told me any of this. She actually told me I could be on it for the rest of my life without any problems and it's only been about 7 months and I'm in hell. I scheduled to see a different dermatologist today. DO NOT recommend this in the least."

Klr22 July 7, 2016

For Acne: "I am 39 and have bad cystic acne along my jawline. My Dermatologist prescribed me to take 100mg a day for 3 months. The first month I saw no change and did flare up as others have mentioned. By the end of month 2, my skin looked incredible. I stopped after 3 months because this drugs completely screwed with my libido. I used to be very sexually active with my husband and after taking this drug my libido has dropped in such a drastic manner. Whatever you do, DO NOT STOP TAKING THIS DRUG COLD TURKEY. You will swell up and retain water for 3 weeks. Ensure that you taper yourself off. I have now been off the drug for 5 months and my skin is back to being as oily as ever and the acne has returned. My next step will be Accutane or Minocyclin."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 5, 2016

For Acne: "I started off on 50mg once per day for 6 weeks. I noticed very little improvement in my acne but my skin was less oily. The only side effect I had on this dosage was cramping and spotting in between my periods. After 6 weeks my derm upped my dosage to two 50mg pills per day. My acne began to clear and my skin became dry for the first time in my life. I kind of enjoyed it while it lasted. The side effects worsened as my dosage increased. I had frequent urination, severe thirst, headaches, the cramping intensified slightly and I would occasionally become light headed. From the day I started this medication to 2 weeks after stopping I did not stop bleeding. Literally constant bleeding. If it weren't for that, I'd have continued with it!"

FitB2009 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 30, 2016

For Acne: "I am 22 and I have always had moderate acne on my forehead since I was 13. I first started with 100mg of spiro which caused a horrible initial breakout. I stopped taking it for 1 month and started it again but on 50mg and it really cleared my skin. Within one month I started getting a terrible headache that lasted 1 week it was so unbearable i stopped taking the pill for a week now and my headache is completely gone. I don't know if this happened because my diet consists of mostly salt food, but I was seriously scared I thought I had a brain tumor. This pill is a diuretic so maybe it'll work well to those whom have a well balanced diet, but as soon as you feel side effects you should stop it immediately!!! :("

Yarii (taken for less than 1 month) June 16, 2016

For Acne: "... Long story short, this medication did very little for my acne, and caused me to have high blood sugar. On the plus side, it did decreased the oil on my face, and made my period shorter and lighter, but overall it wasn't worth it for me to continue taking it. I experienced a mild case of what seemed like every side effect listed, this passed with time."

Anonymous June 10, 2016

For Acne: "I've been on this for 3 months and it worked really well at first. I used to get intense zits around my chin and upper lip, and they all but disappeared until a few weeks ago. I'm still fighting off that round of zits. My dermatologist upped my dosage and said that it's not uncommon to have this experience when starting out on spironalactone. Also, I'm not enjoying the side effects. I feel super dizzy right when I wake up in the morning, which makes it hard to exercise. I also pee like a pregnant lady and get around two periods a month now, neither of which are fun. It was totally worth it when my face cleared up. I'm not stopping the medication but I'm a little disenchanted at the moment. Do you all take it at the same time each day?"

Ggn (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 3, 2016

For Primary Hyperaldosteronism Diagnosis: "It worked so well on my blood pressure but I have been on my period every since I began the drug. My doctor refuses to take me off of it because my BP was 190/110 before even though I was maxed out on Diovan and potassium pills. Now with this drug my BP is 120/80. I can't take this constant bleeding. It's not spotting. It full on heavy bleeding now for 6 months. My Gyno tried to help by inserting an IUD but that only lessened the bleeding a bit. I don't know what to do."

Steph (45 year old female) (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 31, 2016

For Acne: "So I started taking 100 my since December. Took about 2-3 months to see a difference . HUGE improvement . Nothing else has come close to working like this has. But... CRAZY IRREGUALR PERIODS. I'm talking about going from a 40 day Clycle before starting spiro to having my period every 10 days. I don't know what to do. I've been weaning off & so far so good. I just don't want to break out like crazy but I also don't wanna put up with so many periods . I also went from good/normal to really low blood pressure."

andrea2014aam May 17, 2016

For Acne: "I have been taken this for 3 months. My acne started clearing almost immediately, with only one break out about a month and a half in. I am currently acne free and ready trying to even my skin tone that is dis colored from scaring. I didn't have any noticeable side affects. I wish one of the other doctors or dermatologist I have seen over the years would have tried this years ago!!!"

Upseeyore May 13, 2016

For High Blood Pressure: "I was taking Indapamide for 25 yrs to control my blood pressure until last year when I developed AdFib and my blood pressure rocketed. After struggling with various beta blocker , ACE inhibitors and an ARB I decided life was not worth living due to the side effects and went back to Indapamide only, where by after an initial large increase of my blood pressure this came down to reasonable level (138/95) but really that is not the best. My GP has recommended half a 25mg tablet each day together with my Indapamide and my blood pressure is now 125/74 so success. At present I have no undue side effect but only time will tell, so I am happy at this. Going back for blood test in two weeks."

098 (taken for less than 1 month) May 13, 2016

For Acne: "I have had years of severe bulbous ulcers under the skin and have tried many products, that have tamed the flare ups for a period of time. In older years Adult acne started to set in my doctor prescribed Spironolactone. The results are amazing I have minimal breakouts and no ulcers I have very happy to have been given an alternative oral medicine that works!"

Oges Ziggy (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 12, 2016

For Acne: "Please be careful on this drug. It is a diuretic and can cause your sodium to drop, especially if you drink a lot of water. I became increasingly lightheaded and dizzy. I was vomiting. I went to the ER and my sodium was 118. Normal is around 135-145. This is dangerously low. Under 115 and your brain can swell leading to seizure, herniation, and death. If you're having symptoms please stop taking the medicine and have your labs checked."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 7, 2016