User Reviews for Spironolactone

Also known as: Aldactone

Learn more about Spironolactone.

Primary Hyperaldosteronism 5 reviews 1 medications

Heart Failure 3 reviews 119 medications

5.2
Summary of Spironolactone reviews 310 reviews 8.0

Reviews for Spironolactone

For Acne: "I am a teenage girl who suffers with hair growth on my face and bad acne and after 6 months of taking this medicine I'm so beyond relieved that my acne is completely gone and my hair growth is a lot less. I HIGHly recommend this medication to anyone with similar issues!!"

Chimmy chonga July 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "I was prescribed this medication to deal with having break outs monthly on my chin from hormones. I've been taking this for only a week. Let me tell you first that my body is very responsive to anything I put in it. I usually have one, MAX two bumps per month on my chin, in one week I literally have FIVE knot pimples on my chin. Not a big deal to you, but I'm 28 and have been super consistent with my breakouts, I have them down to a science. I'll be discontinuing this medication as of today. Sad because I truly had high hopes for future super clear skin, I'm glad it showed itself early."

jennyaus July 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Hirsutism: "I started taking 50mg spironolactone once a day for moderate hirsutism on my chin (up to like 30 terminal hairs), and other areas on my body, as well as moderate acne (constant breakouts). During the first 2 weeks I had crappy breakouts, and then like clock work, immediately after the 2 week mark, my skin started to clear up. I got electrolysis done and after just one visit, the hairs were no longer terminal on my chin, and most of them didn't even grow back at all (so basically the few that did grow back were like peach fuzz, which is the normal and unnoticeable hairs we have all over the body)."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "I have been on 50 mg for a week now. My skin is less oily and I have fewer whiteheads. My skin broke out a little more the first three days then it not normally does but nothing bad. I was worried to take this but it seems to be helping with my hormonal acne around my chin and cheeks."

rhdsmith (taken for less than 1 month) July 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "Great medication for oily skin. My skin was oily bad till I started this medication. Glad I discovered it."

Amw1985 June 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Hirsutism: "I just started taking this medication because I have excessive facial and body hair growth. I'm really hopefully after reading a lot of reviews on it. @lola29 anyone looking to help with the coverage of their dark patches on their face: rub orange/red concealer (laGirl has a great/cheap one) over your dark patches with a beauty blender or sponge. This will look strange and dark but it cancels out the dark patches in your skin. Then cover the orange concealer with a full coverage concealer or foundation (dermacol is amazing!) ... make sure to set it with a powder. Seriously learned this trick from drag queens and it makes me feel 100x more comfortable while dealing with this facial hair. I hope that helps someone!!!"

Ceeajones (taken for less than 1 month) June 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "I have battled acne since high school, and it is one of my biggest insecurities. I try to stay away from harsh drugs and topical treatments, so when my doctor prescribed spironolactone, I went for it. My experience with the drug was not great. It did not improve my acne in the slightest and it caused me to lose 10 pounds without any change to my diet or any increase in exercise. Overall I would not recommend this, as I saw no change in my skin. I took this medication for 3 months."

sophduf (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "I have always had annoying acne which wasn't terrible but wasn't fixed by birth control. I quit taking birth control and my doctor prescribed spiro instead. I've been on it for almost two years with only one or two little pimples per cycle. I also noticed that the switch gave me a slow steady body change. I've lost about 15 pounds over the two years without any other changes in diet or exercise. It made me a little thirstier than usual, so I'm drinking more water than I used to. No other terrible side effects like others have reported though. Overall very happy with the switch and would recommend for sure."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "Ever since my teenage years I always had problems with hormonal acne. It wasn't too extreme but it still affected my self esteem. My first year of college is when I really broke out bad with cystic acne out of NOWHERE. I wanted to wear a paper bag over my head 24/7. I barely wanted to make eye contact with anyone. I was so embarrassed of my face to the point where I stopped going to class, social events & work. I tried doxy, minoclycline & much more but nothing would work... Felt hopeless. My dermo then thought it might potentially be due to my hormones, which then she prescribed me Spironolactone. It takes AWHILE to kick in but trust me its worth it. I rarely break out now. Couldn't be more happier and confident.This medicine is a blessing"

Gabes (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "I promised myself that if this medication ended up working I would write a review and tell others. Well, glad to report it did! I never had acne until one day at 23 hormonal acne crashed the party. It stupidly took me a really long time to realize nothing over the counter was ever going to cut it. I started on 50 mg spirolactone but got impatient, even though this is a medication that I knew going in takes a long time to reach full efficacy. After a month I started taking 100mg. After 2.5 months of feeling like there was no difference it completely changed. I have not had a cystic pimple or breakout for weeks, my skin reminds me of how it was before this insanity began. Even worth the very annoying side effects that come with diuretics."

quinng143 May 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "My experience with this drug was extremely negative. I gained about 30 pounds, became anxious and depressed, was extremely tired and sluggish, and ate at least 4 meals/day. I became a very sad and narrow minded person and strayed from my parents and friends. It didn't help my acne at all so please look for any other alternative before taking this. It's not worth it and there are so many better alternatives to this."

Badexperience422 May 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Hirsutism: "I'm a 31-year-old woman with PCOS, and I've dealt with acne and excessive facial hair growth for years. I've been on metformin for around 2 years now, which was supposed to help my PCOS symptoms (in addition to being borderline diabetic), but I never really saw any results until my doctor put me on spironolactone in January 2017. Since then I've been taking a very low dose, only 50mg once a day, but it has done wonders for the hair growth! Though I would advise others to wax your facial hair rather than shaving it. When the hair is removed from the follicles, the spiro stunts its regrowth. For me, if I wax it once a week, when it does regrow it comes back barely half as thick as it used to and it's nowhere near as noticeable."

H J Jones May 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "I was on SPIRONOLACTONE for years and my immune system got really weak. I started to have fatigue all the time and my NK cells were so low they didn't even register. I stopped taking it and within 5 to 6 months my acne got worse than before I was on it. I had bad cystic acne on my face and back. So after being off for a year and a half I thought I would give it another shot. It only took about 4 months and my blood pressure dropped down to 83/55. No wonder why I felt like I was dying. I am now doing cleanse to rid my body of all the toxins that are trying to come out of my skin. That's due to my liver not being able to keep up. It is really depressing having acne this bad but I would rather be alive than have to deal with that again."

Raschelle (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "This medicine is a miracle for hormonal acne. And I have normal testosterone levels. This works just as well to helped me shed annoying water weight. I have experienced a couple side effects such as breast tenderness (but they look fuller which is a plus) and fatigue, also a slightly shorter cycle. I'll eat with all of the above rather than have acne though!! Started at 50 mg and after 2 months moved to 100 mg (split in two doses per day) and THATS when I really started noticing a difference. I'm at 3 months now and finally almost all the way clear! Have patience!! This med works very slowly and you need to start at a low dose and work up. It's so worth it!"

Rspohn (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "I started a 25mg dosage of spironolactone on the 24th of March 2017. Therefore, I've been on this dosage for 2.5 months. In addition to my 25mg spironolactone dosage, I am also on the Yasmin contraceptive pill. The first 2 months of spironolactone were terrible. I was prepared for this (having read others' experiences on these boards) but it was truly difficult. Spironolactone seemed my last port of call for hormonal acne and I was so frightened it just wouldn't work. Around a week ago, however, things started changing and my skin has definitely started clearing up. I've had no new cysts forming and I anticipate my skin looking even better in a few weeks from now. My pores will always be big but I'm hopeful the acne at least can stop."

RadhaK May 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "I used to have really severe cystic acne that was unresponsive to anything else. I was too scared to take Accutane and spiro was like my last resort. I have a olive/tan skin tone, so I'm prone to hyper pigmentation/scarring. I've been taking 50 mg consistently and I've noticed a dramatic difference in my skin. The only side effect that remained was increased urgency to pee and my cycle shortened (although I'm still regular). You really have to be patient with this drug. I noticed a dramatic difference in my acne straightaway. Also when I do get a pimple now, it goes away a lot faster. My skin isn't 100% perfect, but it's so much better. I've wanted to increase the dose, but I think I'm happy with my skin as it is now."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "I take 50 mg of Spironolactone twice daily for acne. My experience is very positive. Initially, I noticed light-headedness and pronounced diuretic effects. Lost a couple of pounds of water weight. Appetite and weight gain/loss are not affected. My skin cleared within two to three weeks. I occasionally have a small pimple or blackhead that goes away in a day or two. My periods are very irregular. I think since I started taking this drug I've had one "real" period requiring the use of tampons. I do randomly spot/bleed from time to time. No mental health effects so far. If anything, I feel more stable due to the lack of periods and PMS."

Meelynn April 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "I made a youtube video showing the progress of how my skin reacted to spiro. It definitely takes patience it's not something that's going to work overnight. And this isn't a long term fix unless you plan to stay on the pills forever. This pill is a diuretic so it gave me a very dry mouth and I had to pee more than I'd like to. It definitely cleared up my skin while I was on it though. If you have hormonal acne and nothing else is working for you I would recommend trying it. "

AshleyK24 April 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Edema: "I am a 43-year-old healthy female. No diabetes, no high cholesterol and not on any other medications. I had to start taking spiro because of edema. My legs and feet were were so puffy I could barely wear shoes. I've been on spiro for a week now. I lost 6 pounds of water in the first three days of taking it. My legs and feet are still puffy so progress is gradual. I also elevate my legs whenever I can. I've never used another diuretic other than this one so I can't compare it. My doctor prescribed it for two weeks only, I take it in the morning with my breakfast and have not experienced any side effects at all except mild thirst in the mornings upon waking up."

Auntie Moe April 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "I was on Diane 35 for seven yrs (15-23 my skin was amazing) What I didn't realize was that Diane Caused me to gain a lot of weight, I put it on almost immediately (age 15) and struggled with weight issues and an eating disorder. When I stopped Diane at 23 to have kids, I quickly lost about 15 lbs (5lbs of water) and my insane appetite as well. After children I wanted to go back on Diane for nice skin. I promptly gained the weight, eating issues returned! So I quit and decided to try spiro. 25 mg once a day. My skin started clearing immediately but Within 3 weeks I had weight gain, aged 5 yrs, along with other horrible side effects! Since quitting for two days I feel myself again! I'll stick with Skin Ceuticals Acne Kit and zinc supplements!!"

bboo (taken for less than 1 month) March 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "I have dealt with acne on my face and back for years. I was on birth control pills for a time that cleared my skin up completely, but I hated how the pills made me feel. I then got the skyla IUD which didn't mess with my head, but didn't do anything for my acne. Big surprise: it all came back. On my face and especially on my back. I went to the derm and they put me on Spiro 100mg a day. It has taken at least 4 months to see my results. I will occasionally get a zit on my face and back, but its nothing like it was before. They are just a red bump that lasts only a couple of days. I wish I started this medication from the beginning instead of spending so much money on literally every OTC product out there."

NikkiNik March 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "I am 38 y/o female and started spironolactone about a month after coming off of 7 months of accutane. Accutane cleared my skin while on it, but within a couple weeks of stopping, out comes my cystic acne. My Derm prescribed Spiro and within 1 week of starting at 25mg p/d I experienced sore stiff joints from my finger joints to my knees, extreme fatigue, and weight gain. I lasted three weeks before the 4lbs. gained went any higher and the joint stiffness got to the point where exercising started to become painful. The extreme dryness especially the constant dry chapped lips while on Accutane now seem like a cake walk compared to the multitude of side effects from this medicine. I will just have to get the cysts injected everytime now."

Gerbgirl (taken for less than 1 month) March 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "I suffered with acne as a teen and young adult. After trying literally everything from oils to natural astringents, to OTC meds and more I finally decided to see a dermatologist. He prescribed me spironolactone and tretinoin (retin a cream). I was told to be patient, it could take up to three months to see results. Well during that three month period my acne got SO much worse. I was so depressed, and my face hurt so bad. But I stuck with the meds. After exactly three months of use (August) everything cleared up, completely. It's been 7 months since August and I've gotten MAYBE 3 small 24hr pimples and my blackheads are gone. Patience is key but this was a lifesaver"

JD91 March 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "I started birth control at age 17 (orto tri cyclen) after trying doxy and minocycline and it cleared up my acne like a charm! Then shortly before I turned 21 I started getting acne on just my chin (combo of closed comedones and hard small cystic acne) and after about a month of dealing with the acne, hoping it would clear, I saw a dermatologist and asked to be put on spiro since I read good reviews. She told me it was for older women and just put me on tazorac .05% and aczone 7.5%. The tazorac completely tore up my face but after a month my skin got used to it and definitely was helping the texture of my chin but just not stopping the acne (plus taz made my skin super sensitive so when I would frown or move my face a lot my face/chin would turn kinda red... definitely unflattering and not a good topical for summer months) and the aczone was helpful but not stopping everything. Fed up with my derm, I saw a second derm who took one look at my face and suggested spironolactone and benzaclin (antiobiotic). I stopped the aczone and started the benzaclin which worked really well for a couple of weeks and then didn't work well so I stopped it entirely. I started on 25 mg spiro once a day for a month last November 2016. I didn't see results so my derm upped it to 50 mg in December. I started to see small results like decreased oil production on my face and hair but nothing truly impacting the acne. In January I went up to 75mg for a few weeks and then 100mg (50 twice a day) and that is where I am right now (March 2017) and my face for the first time summer 2016 is completely clear. I almost feel like I'm jinxing myself for typing that but it's been a full month without any sort of pimple (even during my period). I can also go two days without washing my hair and my hair would usually be oily by the end of the day so that is a HUGE plus... and the oil on my nose decreased by 95% I'd say. I don't have any side effects, maybe just prone to headaches from dehydration (so definitely drink lots of water) and I have to get my blood tested for high potassium levels since its a diuretic and can make the body retain potassium. I still work out everyday and I don't feel fatigued or anything! I would definitely suggest spiro, it can take 2-3 months to truly get complete clearing but I'm so happy I waited it out. I did get a slight breakout at upping to 50 mg on my temples which never get acne but it went away shortly and that was my only breakout from the spiro."

Phoebs March 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "I had HORRIBLE cystic acne on my chin - i'm talking 20 huge cystic pimples on my chin at any given time - no amount of makeup could cover it up. It was causing me major concern and depression. My Derm put me on Accutane that worked fairly well (aside from bloody noses and extremely dry skin) but as soon as I finished Accutane, my acne came back with a vengeance. So I went back to my Dermatologist and she put me on Spironolactone. She told me the pills could take up to 2-3 months to take any effect BUT here's the thing: it worked STRAIGHT away! I'm telling you - I took 2 pills! One on Sunday then another on Monday and by Tuesday my pimples were almost gone! I honestly think this is some sort of miracle pill...it's changed my life."

ClaireHil February 13, 2017