User Reviews for Spironolactone

Also known as: Aldactone

Learn more about Spironolactone.

Primary Hyperaldosteronism 5 reviews 1 medications

Heart Failure 3 reviews 119 medications

5.2
Summary of Spironolactone reviews 290 reviews 8.0

Reviews for Spironolactone

For Acne: "I have dealt with acne on my face and back for years. I was on birth control pills for a time that cleared my skin up completely, but I hated how the pills made me feel. I then got the skyla IUD which didn't mess with my head, but didn't do anything for my acne. Big surprise: it all came back. On my face and especially on my back. I went to the derm and they put me on Spiro 100mg a day. It has taken at least 4 months to see my results. I will occasionally get a zit on my face and back, but its nothing like it was before. They are just a red bump that lasts only a couple of days. I wish I started this medication from the beginning instead of spending so much money on literally every OTC product out there."

NikkiNik March 22, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Acne: "I am 38 y/o female and started spironolactone about a month after coming off of 7 months of accutane. Accutane cleared my skin while on it, but within a couple weeks of stopping, out comes my cystic acne. My Derm prescribed Spiro and within 1 week of starting at 25mg p/d I experienced sore stiff joints from my finger joints to my knees, extreme fatigue, and weight gain. I lasted three weeks before the 4lbs. gained went any higher and the joint stiffness got to the point where exercising started to become painful. The extreme dryness especially the constant dry chapped lips while on Accutane now seem like a cake walk compared to the multitude of side effects from this medicine. I will just have to get the cysts injected everytime now."

Gerbgirl (taken for less than 1 month) March 17, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Acne: "I suffered with acne as a teen and young adult. After trying literally everything from oils to natural astringents, to OTC meds and more I finally decided to see a dermatologist. He prescribed me spironolactone and tretinoin (retin a cream). I was told to be patient, it could take up to three months to see results. Well during that three month period my acne got SO much worse. I was so depressed, and my face hurt so bad. But I stuck with the meds. After exactly three months of use (August) everything cleared up, completely. It's been 7 months since August and I've gotten MAYBE 3 small 24hr pimples and my blackheads are gone. Patience is key but this was a lifesaver"

JD91 March 9, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Acne: "I started birth control at age 17 (orto tri cyclen) after trying doxy and minocycline and it cleared up my acne like a charm! Then shortly before I turned 21 I started getting acne on just my chin (combo of closed comedones and hard small cystic acne) and after about a month of dealing with the acne, hoping it would clear, I saw a dermatologist and asked to be put on spiro since I read good reviews. She told me it was for older women and just put me on tazorac .05% and aczone 7.5%. The tazorac completely tore up my face but after a month my skin got used to it and definitely was helping the texture of my chin but just not stopping the acne (plus taz made my skin super sensitive so when I would frown or move my face a lot my face/chin would turn kinda red... definitely unflattering and not a good topical for summer months) and the aczone was helpful but not stopping everything. Fed up with my derm, I saw a second derm who took one look at my face and suggested spironolactone and benzaclin (antiobiotic). I stopped the aczone and started the benzaclin which worked really well for a couple of weeks and then didn't work well so I stopped it entirely. I started on 25 mg spiro once a day for a month last November 2016. I didn't see results so my derm upped it to 50 mg in December. I started to see small results like decreased oil production on my face and hair but nothing truly impacting the acne. In January I went up to 75mg for a few weeks and then 100mg (50 twice a day) and that is where I am right now (March 2017) and my face for the first time summer 2016 is completely clear. I almost feel like I'm jinxing myself for typing that but it's been a full month without any sort of pimple (even during my period). I can also go two days without washing my hair and my hair would usually be oily by the end of the day so that is a HUGE plus... and the oil on my nose decreased by 95% I'd say. I don't have any side effects, maybe just prone to headaches from dehydration (so definitely drink lots of water) and I have to get my blood tested for high potassium levels since its a diuretic and can make the body retain potassium. I still work out everyday and I don't feel fatigued or anything! I would definitely suggest spiro, it can take 2-3 months to truly get complete clearing but I'm so happy I waited it out. I did get a slight breakout at upping to 50 mg on my temples which never get acne but it went away shortly and that was my only breakout from the spiro."

Phoebs March 5, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Acne: "I had HORRIBLE cystic acne on my chin - i'm talking 20 huge cystic pimples on my chin at any given time - no amount of makeup could cover it up. It was causing me major concern and depression. My Derm put me on Accutane that worked fairly well (aside from bloody noses and extremely dry skin) but as soon as I finished Accutane, my acne came back with a vengeance. So I went back to my Dermatologist and she put me on Spironolactone. She told me the pills could take up to 2-3 months to take any effect BUT here's the thing: it worked STRAIGHT away! I'm telling you - I took 2 pills! One on Sunday then another on Monday and by Tuesday my pimples were almost gone! I honestly think this is some sort of miracle pill...it's changed my life."

ClaireHil February 13, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Acne: "I've been on this a month now for my acne given by my dermatologist. I also use epiduo and aczone. Been on epiduo since I was 15 and it was a miracle worker for all these years. When I stopped taking birth control epiduo wasn't enough to keep my acne away. So my dermatologist gave me this medicine 50mg a day. Haven't seen a big change honestly. My back acne has cleared up but on my face I'm still always having at least 2 pimples. Sounds like nothing but it's annoying to get rid of a pimple and two more pop up in an immediate cycle. I'm going to see my dermatologist tomorrow for a check in and hopefully she ups the dose or something. I've heard this medicine takes a while to work though usually around 3rd month is when you see results"

Camilleeeee20 February 11, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Acne: "As anyone taken Spironolactone for cystic adult acne, and experienced throat spasms called Cricopharyngeal Spasm? It occurred around the same time I was experiencing tightness in the test. I only administered the drug for 4 weeks but the side effects have persisted."

Denise_Lef (taken for less than 1 month) February 9, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Acne: "I started this medicine while breaking out with severe cystic acne for my adult life. I took this medicine for the past year, 1 year total. My face cleared up, but I gained 25 lbs in one year. No other medicine changes. I could deal with the weight, but when I came to the ER with terrible abdominal pain, I knew something was wrong. I have an ovarian cyst now, and have to hope it doesn't rupture. Make sure you are willing to accept the risks of having clear skin, as this can apparently happen to anyone who takes spironolactone."

Nicki_Betty (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 3, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Acne: "I have been on Spironolactone 50 mg a day now since August 2016. After being blessed with clear skin the majority of my adult years, I suddenly was stricken with deep, painful acne, all over my checks, mouth and forehead. I originally tried doxy for three months with little to no success. Transitioning to Spiro was the best thing I ever did. Warning: It WILL get worse before it gets better!!! My skin was the worst it ever was the first two weeks starting it. But it slowly started clearing (noticable results within 2 months), and now after 6 months my skin is the best it's been in years! I take this in conjunction with clindamyacin (which I've been on for 10 years). Stick with it!!! It WILL get better!"

Woman in her mid-20s February 1, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Hirsutism: "Started Spiro 2 weeks ago. I am already noticing a high difference in facial hair growth. I was plucking over 200 hairs a night and not getting even half the hair. The side effect of stomach ache has had some serious moments, but I'm told it will pass soon. The embarrassment of the facial hair and scaring from ingrown hairs has stopped me from socializing and made me a house mouse. I'm thrilled to see results after only 2 weeks and I'm confident time will continue to improve the condition."

Housemouse. (taken for less than 1 month) January 27, 2017

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Acne: "female adult in 50's with ongoing acne for entire life. Hormonal acne, tired of having skin problems and to wear make up to cover scars and breakouts. Have been on this medication for 8 months, no side affects. 100mg per day. No new breakouts have occurred, but still waiting for previous breakouts to completely clear up. Scarring still obvious and not the beautiful skin that I thought was going to happen. My main goal was to be able to go make-up free....not yet. I guess the plus is no new breakouts happening. Will continue for a complete year to see final results."

2017face (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 27, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Acne: "I was give. Spironolactone by my gynocologist for adult acne. I took the medication for 2 months and it did help somewhat with my hormonal acne. The only side effect I expeirenced was break through bleeding, but it was so extreme I decided to stop using the medication. It was like I was on my period every two days. The bleeding was not just spotting, it was full blown menstral cycle bleeding. It was to the point that I had to wear coverage daily because I never knew when it would start or stop. I know two months doesn't seem like a long time but to me the acne I had was not worth going through that everyday."

Anonymous January 21, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Alopecia: "Hairdresser kept noticing each time I went for a trim that my hair was getting thinner. That's when I decided to go & see my GP for a referral to dermatologist who put me onto minoxidil which did absolutely nothing except cause me inconvenience. So I went back to my GP & told them I wanted a referral to an endocrinologist who prescribed Spironolactone 200mg/daily. I have been taking 2 tablets daily since April 2016. I didn't see an immediate difference at first, but then one day I noticed new hair growth on my forehead. It was growing back grey! Then out of the blue for some unknown reason my hair started falling out again, especially whilst shampooing in the shower. It is a constant battle picking up loose hair off the bathroom floor"

In Good Health (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 20, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Hirsutism: "I had a stroke after. Being on low-dose, birth-control for five years, Apri, at the age of 41, my docs, immediately, took me off all estrogen, and my b-c's, but, my face began to react violently, I never had teen-age, acne, but, this adult acne was the worst! Nothing worked, plus I had hair on my chin, and, upperlip, as well as a few strands in between my breast, needless to say it was extremely, embarrassing to meet people in that condition, I went to myderm, and,she looked at my thinning scalp, and, my warewolfish chin, and, immediately, prescribed 25 mg of spirio lactone, she said, that she couldn't promise anything, but together with 1% tretinoin, cream we could try, and a rx for .05% fluocinonide, we could try to regrow my lost hair."

Livvy121167 (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 19, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Blood Pressure: "For a few months Spiractin worked well in controlling my blood pressure, however their was a marked deterioration in my renal functions. If taking this drug, keep a very close eye on your Creatinine and eGFR blood readings."

B.C. - Aged 76 yrs (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 7, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Hirsutism: "18 y/o female. I was prescribed this medicine for high testosterone from PCOS. Effects were gradual over the first 6 months or so and have maintained through now, a year later. My body acne cleared up to being nearly non-existent. My body has softened up and become a little more feminine, breasts and butt rounded out and got a little softer (same weight as before I began.) Not much noticeable effect on facial and body hair, seems to grow a little slower and a bit thinner but nothing drastic. No side effects except possibly contributing to a dead sex drive. Definitely love this medicine and would (and do) suggest it to other women with these testosterone problems."

Lizzipoo88 (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 6, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Acne: "I have been taking spironolactone for a month now for my acne conglobata and it is as if I have been taking nothing at all. Some the symptoms I have had are depression, fatigue, drowsiness, hand and feet tingling and itchy, confusion, and just an out of it feeling in general."

Crystagail January 2, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Blood Pressure: "Taste, after receiving a bottle in a different state as I moved, just wanting to know if the medication suppose to taste like minty, even the bottle has a smell. Never had a smell or taste before and have been using spironolactone for over a year for a previous stroke"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 30, 2016

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Acne: "After turning 30, I started getting severe red painful cysts along my jawline, cheeks, and forehead. They would last forever, and would not go down with any topical treatments. I had my androgen levels checked and they were 3x the normal limit. Around this time, I was also having trouble maintaining my weight (5'4" around 120lb), my skin became really oily, and I felt fatigued all the time. I'm very active and eat very healthy so something was going on. I started Spironolactone 25mg - 2 tablets twice daily (three times daily around the time of my cycle), and it's as if I am a new person. The initial breakouts took about 3 months to completely go away, but now I have energy, no weight issues and no acne!"

RPhWD (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 28, 2016

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Acne: "I'm a 25 year old female and I suffered terrible acne for a long time, then it went away for a few years. Suddenly back in September 2016 I started to break out again in those painful cysts around my jawline, where I had never broke out before. Spiro helped me many years before so I started taking it again. First week 25 mg and then 50 mg. Had the notorious "Initial Breakout" but after that cleared up (took 2 months) I've been good ever since! It's nice not waking up each morning to find new painful cysts under my chin! Love it. It has caused some dizziness but I'll take that over a pimply, painful face any day. Be patient, this drug takes a while. Worth it though."

Maddie32 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 26, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Aldactone (spironolactone) for Heart Failure: "no more swollen feet and ankles"

ajaxs December 13, 2016

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Acne: "I usually suffer from cystic acne on my cheeks, RARELY on my chin or forehead. I never really considered my acne to be hormonal because in the summer I have clear skin, but when I go back to college I break out. I've been on the same BC for about 4 years btw. I went to my dermatologist and she prescribed me 25 mg daily of spiro. I stuck with it for 7 weeks, but here I am at 7 weeks looking WORSE than ever before!! I have break outs in places I never had before. I would rather have dealt with my mild cystic acne on my cheeks than this stuff. I know it works for a lot of people, but clearly not for everyone. This past week I've been severely depressed due to just how terrible my skin looks. I'm discontinuing the use of spiro."

acnesux0231 December 9, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Acne: "When I started taking a hormonal birth control pill my skin broke out worse than it ever had before. I tried antibiotics, switching birth control pills, but nothing worked. Then finally after about 7 or 8 months, my dermatologist prescribed me spironolactone (two 25 mg pills in the morning and one at night), and after a few months my skin was completely clear. I use prescription topical creams for my acne as well, but I can definitely say that spironolactone has made a world of difference for my skin. I don't ever want to stop taking it! The only minor side effects I noticed were increased thirst and slight dryness in my normally oily skin, but after taking it for about a month they went away!"

cass2238965 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 6, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Blood Pressure: "Worked like a champ, dropping me to very near normal bp. Have been tolerating near 150/95+ with other meds for a while. Other bp meds also gave me muscle cramps and graying out when doing high intensity exercise. I could also swear my heart rhythm is smoother on Spiro somehow, I'm sensitive to the way it moves, but of course that's very subjective. side effects... well, it will drop your Testosterone level which you may or may not find annoying. If you'd find a bit of gyno unacceptable, you may need to find something else."

rwwff (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 3, 2016

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Acne: "I took Spiro for a total of 6 months for moderate hormonal acne around the jawline. I started off taking 25mg for the first 6 weeks, and had a bad break out, than I increased to 50mg and had another bad breakout. My skin only got worse using this medication and scarred easily and I got acne in places that I never got before. Also in the beginning I felt very tired and in a brain fog but got used to it I guess, since I have been off the medication for only 5 days I feel so much more awake and without it. I was wondering why I was getting so forgetful, and now I realize it was the brain fog from the medication. Also made my skin very saggy and since being off it for only 5 days it has already improved. Only plus for me was I lost 3 poun"

Acnespiro November 30, 2016