User Reviews for Spironolactone

Also known as: Aldactone, CaroSpir

Spironolactone has an average rating of 7.2 out of 10 from a total of 547 ratings on Drugs.com. 64% of those users who reviewed Spironolactone reported a positive effect, while 21% reported a negative effect.

Primary Hyperaldosteronism Diagnosis   10.0
High Blood Pressure   5.4
Summary of Spironolactone reviews 7.2 547 reviews

Reviews for Spironolactone

vc0008 February 17, 2021

For Acne: “I had a horrible experience on spiro. I had a little bit of hormonal acne, nothing terrible, but nothing worked to get rid of it so my doctor suggested spiro. I started taking it and immediately began to purge. It was horrible -- I had the worst acne I have ever had. My entire face was covered. I had read about a purging period so I decided I would wait it out. After a little less than 5 months, I decided I couldn't handle it anymore and stopped taking it. Instantly my face started to clear. Now I still have acne scars from the time I was taking it”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month February 16, 2021

For Edema: “I have been using Spironolactone for two weeks. It worked for the first week then stopped working. My ankles are swollen seemingly permanently, a condition I find intolerable if not time for court to sue my doctor. I never had swollen ankles before I took amlopidine - another house medicine that should be taken off the market.”

M · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 12, 2021

For Acne: “I never used to have acne only here and there before COVID hit. I started to break out every day really bad on my cheeks and all around my jawline. I had no idea what was going on and I started to try every type of cream and acne medication there was. Nothing was working and it was getting worse. I never thought I would have it this bad. I went to the dermatology and wish I did sooner. They recommended Spiro and after the first month I could already see a difference. They also gave a cream that helped heal as well. After three months on the pill all my acne almost cleared up. Now 6 months later I barely get any. I would read all of these reviews all the time just so I would have some faith it would work and it really did. Always said if it cleared my skin I’d write to inform other people too. It does take a bit of time but so worth the wait.”

Yamz · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 2, 2021

For Acne: “This medication worked pretty well but it was not enough for my acne. It helped my hair grow back. I give it a 10/10 for female hair loss and a 7/10 for acne. I did eventually go onto Accutane.......”

KP · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 27, 2021

For Acne: “I promised that if Spironolactone got rid of my acne, I'd leave reviews everywhere LOL. To begin, my acne got worse for the first 2-3 months. I saw no results during those months and was becoming hopeless until I approached my 5th month. I don't know how this medication works but it literally felt like one day I had acne (months really) and the next I didn't. I 100% recommend going on Spiro if you suffer from severe acne but don't want to go on Accutane. I actually went on Accutane for 3 months and stopped (for reasons unrelated to the medication) and my acne returned 6 months later. Spiro hasn't given me any side effects worth noting. It was hard to be patient but it is worth it! Don't become discouraged, it really does work. I have been on 100mg since beginning and will now go down to 50mg a day after being on it for a year.”

D · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 13, 2021

For Hirsutism: “I’ve been on spironolactone for over two weeks now and I absolutely love it! My endocrinologist had put me on it due to my acne and unwanted hair that grew all over due to my PCOS. At 25mg two pills a day, It has been a total and 100% life saver! I actually have the greatest confidence level now and it also helps with high blood pressure! It runs in both of my parents sides and knowing this helps, it’s just an added bonus! I could not be happier with this selection! I know everyone is different and reacts differently to medicines, but this has been a total game changer for me. Especially being 30 years old! I don’t feel much dizziness or drowsiness, however diarrhea does come and go. But nonetheless, I’d recommend this to anyone who is experiencing horrible acne.”

Monika January 8, 2021

For Hirsutism: “I had taken spironolactone(100mg) for 6 months before 5 years ago for hirsutism. I got some positive result for hirsutism but didn’t get much of it's side effects. For a few months I have noticed that my facial hair growth again increased and I'm also experienced irregular period. So I again took it 15 days ago. But this time I am experiencing huge amount of side effects. Like, trouble in breathing, diarrhoea, bad mood swing, feeling uneasy to walk, abdominal pain, headache, vibration on the parts of the body! I knew that it was the only effective medication for hirsutism. But this time my body doesn’t adjust with it. So, I'm feeling so worried about it. Because this situation with excess facial hair is finishing me!! After all I'm agreeing that its really an effective medication for PCOS with hirsutism.”

R · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 29, 2020

For Acne: “I started spironolactone in late October for my acne and I haven’t been having the best experience. I have a very regular period cycle but ever since I’ve been taking spironolactone, it’s been very irregular. In November I got my period for only 3 days, which is not normal for me because my period usually lasts 6-7 days. After that period, I got it again 2 weeks early but this time a normal 6-7 days. I became a little worried. After that period I got it again a week later! It’s stressing me out a lot and getting very tiresome. I’ve done research and saw that this is normal and my sister who takes it said it was normal too. I just hope my period gets back on track to how it was. I’ve also had a lot of nausea and headaches. Besides those awful side affects, I have seen a little bit of progress with my acne. I have a lot of acne scars but not really any acne.”

Ang December 29, 2020

For Acne: “It’s great and it really works! I wouldn’t recommend anything else!”

r · Taken for 5 to 10 years December 29, 2020

For Gender Dysphoria: “Used spironolactone for 8 years never had any problem side effects and ended up with c cup breasts would have liked to go bigger”

Em09 · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 28, 2020

For Acne: “If you are struggling with hormonal acne, I suggest you try Spironolactone!! I had awful, painful acne and within 3 months my skin cleared up completely. Now, 5 months later, my skin is the best it has ever been. At first, my side effects included dizziness and lack of appetite, but it was manageable. Your skin will get worse before it gets better, but it’s worth it!”

BBholli · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 27, 2020

For Acne: “Once I turned 30 I started having regular breakouts on my cheeks and around my jawline (at first I just thought it was hormones and that it would go away if I just kept washing my face, drinking a lot of water and having a healthy diet) but it didn't. It kept progressing. I went to the dermatologist and he prescribed me Spironolactone. Within 2 weeks my skin started to clear up, everyday it just kept looking better and better. It has now been 6 months and my skin is COMPLETELY clear with ZERO breakouts. I'll maybe (rarely) get an occasional tiny non noticeable black head that I can squeeze away painlessly and have no blemishes or redness afterwards! I'm SO glad I started to take this! It has really been a life saver. It does make me pee a lot since its a diuretic so I never feel bloated,I actually lost weight from it! I just remind myself during the day to stay hydrated (especially if having some cocktails)”

Claire · Taken for less than 1 month December 24, 2020

For Acne: “I am 18 years old and was put on this medication about a month ago. I have PCOS, but was put on this medication for hormonal acne on my chin and jawline. I went on accutane when I was 15 and it cleared up my acne so well, until I left for college this year. I take two 25 mg spiro pills a day. It had helped my acne a little bit, but the side effects outweigh this so much. I am EXTREMELY tired. I have trouble getting out of bed, and I am getting 9+ hours of sleep a night. It’s not normal for me to feel this tired. I’m going to try it for a couple more weeks, but I can’t continue to be this tired every day.”

Cheryl · Taken for less than 1 month December 21, 2020

For Acne: “I have only taken three doses at 50mg so far, and am experiencing throbbing, burning stomach pain, even when taken with food. Will not continue this medication.”

Anonymous December 17, 2020

For Acne: “This is my second time starting spiro and I’m currently in the purge stage of things. It seems to be a little worse than the other one before but I know sometimes it gets worse before it gets better! I had to stop taking the medication, which I had zero negative side effects while on, because of COVID and insurance issues. But when I was on it my skin stayed consistently clear and if a blemish appeared it was usually healed within 2-3 days! I recommend this medication to anyone who struggles with hormonal cystic acne!”

A · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 16, 2020

For Acne: “A few months after stopping birth control (was on for over ten years) my skin took a total turn for the worse and broke out like crazy. I eventually asked my doctor to try spironolactone. She put me on 50mg. After a month it was increased to 100. Between one and two months later we increased to 150 and now my acne is finally under control. Do not give up. I’m now trying to get rid of the hyperpigmentation from all of the acne. I do still get pimples but at any one time I’ll have between 0 and 3 pimples. During the worst part of my acne I’d have between five and fifteen. So I’m very happy. I did have headaches for the first few weeks but they went away and they weren’t terrible to begin with. I also had a horrible hangover from just beer likely due to being dehydrated more than usual from the spironolactone. I’ve also experienced lighter body hair and a LOT less oil in my hair and on my skin. So thankful for this medication.”

Ashley · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 13, 2020

For Acne: “I went on 150mg of Spironolactone almost 2 years ago for hormonal cystic acne and my skin has been nearly perfect since. I get the occasional cyst or two during that time of the month but overall my skin is always clear and the texture has improved a lot. In the beginning my skin purged a bit but cleared up by the 5th month. I reduced dosage to 100mg about 6 months ago and my skin is still looking good. One downside of this drug is the brain fog, once I noticed it I started writing reminder notes about everything so I don't forget. I will have to stop taking soon since I want to start a family so it will be interesting to see if the acne comes back (unfortunately it probably will). I would recommend giving Spironolactone a try.”

Teegan567 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 2, 2020

Aldactone (spironolactone) for Alopecia: “Worst decision taking Aldactone for alopecia. Took for 10x months and it left my hair worse, it is brittle, dehydrated I have severe mood swings. Thought it worked initially but then stopped. I would really make sure you are willing to take risks with this before starting. Dread shed occurs in beginning and when you stop. Exhaust other measures like vit c iron l lysine b12 selenium. Get your ferritin checked.”

Anne · Taken for 10 years or more November 16, 2020

For Hirsutism: “I've been on spironolactone for many, many years, 100mg. I find it doesn't work anymore at diminishing my facial hair.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month November 16, 2020

For Hirsutism: “So I have been taking spironolactone for a little over two weeks and I am actually surprised at how fast it works for my facial hair. I have already notice my hair not coming in as thick or fast. Hopefully it’s not all in my head. We will see.”

Somso · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 3, 2020

For Acne: “I was on spiro for several years. It helped but didn't completely clear my skin. I still had cystic nodules that were painful and scarred. A new dermatologist upped my dose to 200mg/day. I'm 5'5" and 115lbs. The side effects were bad before, I always had to pee in the middle of the night, but they were significantly worse with the higher dose. I couldn't remember anything. The brain fog was unbelievable. I wasn't on any other medications, so I knew it was the spiro. I decided to stop taking the medication in order to return to graduate school (needed a sharp brain for that). My acne is 100% back but at least I can sleep through the night and remember what I've read.”

Cam October 5, 2020

For Hirsutism: “I have PCOS and have suffered from coarse facial and body hair for years. I recently started noticing male-pattern baldness around my temples and knew this was a hormonal problem, as I was tested for high testosterone. I started noticing results within days of taking the spironolactone, way sooner than I thought I would. Within a week I was only having to shave my face every other day rather rather than every day, then every three days. My hairline has stopped receding and is slowly growing back. It's only been three weeks and I'm already so happy with the results. I have only had minor side effects. The only one that bothers me at all is breast tenderness. I had some hot flashes the first week but they went away quickly. Sometimes I'm a little nauseous or headachy, but only if I don't drink enough water. Since this is a diuretic, you need to stay on top of your water consumption and try to drink as much as you can every day.”

Kate · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 18, 2020

For Acne: “I was put on Spiro for acne. My face was the WORST the first 2-3 months after starting on it. My face had never had that many pimples/ redness on it. However, I decided to stick it out. After 7-8 months on Spiro, my face is completely clear! I almost never get any pimples anymore and my face feels soft and smooth!”

Ms. V · Taken for less than 1 month September 9, 2020

“On spironolactone for PCOS and even at the lowest dosage, I developed mild anxiety. My nature of work requires that I maintain a collective presence at all times therefore I ended discontinuing treatment. I could not handle the side effects.”

Anonymous September 6, 2020

For Acne: “It’s my 5th day on this medicine (spironolactone 100mg) and today I’m pretty sure I had a panic attack. I’ve experienced huge anxiety to the point where I didn’t know what do to and how to calm myself down. I’d describe it like overwhelming feeling. I rarely ever get anxiety or stressed, so I’m pretty sure that Spirolactone was what caused it because I’ve never ever felt something similar to this. My heart was beating in a weird way, I felt like someone is sitting on my chest. Please think twice before taking this, it’s really strong ”