User Reviews for Spironolactone

Also known as: Aldactone, CaroSpir

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Spironolactone.

Primary Hyperaldosteronism

Heart Failure
5.2

Summary of Spironolactone reviews 8.0 332 reviews

Reviews for Spironolactone

For Acne: "I honestly can't even tell if its doing anything at all..."

LS19 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "At first I thought this was a miracle drug because it cleared up my hormonal cystic acne FAST. My skin was flawless after just one month. However, the side effects were terrible. I was so lethargic I could barely do anything, I would sleep most of the day, always lightheaded, my cycle was completely out of whack, and I gained weight like crazy. I just didn’t feel right at all. When I went back to my doctor, she said Spiro can’t be the culprit of all my side effects (mainly the weight gain) and so she kept me on it, but lowered it from 100mg to 50mg. I disagreed and stopped taking it. After a week of being off of it, my energy & happiness totally returned. My skin is no longer perfect but I’d rather have acne than be fat and lifeless."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "I was prescribed Spironolactone 25 mg, to take with my Hydrochlorothiazide (HCTZ 25 mg), for high blood pressure and low potassium levels. Just after I took Spironolactone with my HCTZ my BP was 136/77. Hours later I started having severe uncontrollable whole body tremors and bad headaches. I checked my BP and it was 167/84. I checked BP 15 minutes later and it was 180/93! Spironolactone was stopped. I wonder if this raises cortisol levels."

melantha1962 (taken for less than 1 month) November 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Hirsutism: "I have never written a review before but since I find reviews so helpful I figured I owed it to the universe to give back. I started taking 25mg of Spironolactone twice a day for about two months for both excessive hair growth on my face AND for some hormonal acne. I have been taking it in conjunction with laser hair removal and let me say it has been LIFE CHANGING. I am not longer scared for someone to stand under me or to have my bf touch my face. I have been liberated from the chin hair dictator and I am so thankful. Also, I have noticed a sizable improvement in my skin. My derm suggests I up a dose to get full improvement in my skin and I am not taking 50mg twice a day. I have had no noticeable side effects! Highly recommend it"

Liberated! November 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Hirsutism: "Been on this drug only for a week and I have noticed a decrease in facial hair. Started in conjunction with Ortho Cyclen though. Have had the following side effects —very very tired, heartburn, nausea, lack of appetite, vivid dreams, and peeing A LOT I only take 25mg once per day Even with these side effects, I look forward to seeing how it goes since I am seeing an improvement in only a week"

Novasmom (taken for less than 1 month) November 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Alopecia: "So I have been taking this medication for a little over a month for various reasons. I have very thin hair and recently got worse...and also my acne. I tend to break out here and there with small pimples in my chin but because I was stressing I got cystic acne. It got so bad I wanted a doctor as soon as possible. Within a week of taking the medication I noticed my skin clearing up...my cystic acne got smaller. However I am noticing that I have lost significant weight ...almost 8 pounds already. I am already thin so I didn't want to lose anymore. I also had chills one day and even puked when I was on this medication.. This only occurred once so I figure it was fine. SO far it been ok , for hair I haven't noticed much difference yet"

Ang1563 November 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "I've only been using this for maybe 2 weeks and no joke my face has cleared up dramatically. I've also lost some weight and my hair doesn't fall out as much. This medication was Heaven sent!!"

C.s (taken for less than 1 month) October 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "Honestly- I tried seriously every single OTC and prescription acne product there was to try. Both before and after I had a baby. I’m 24 and this is THE wonder drug. I’ve been taking spirinolactone for 7 months and I’m almost positive I never want to stop. I can tell you I had the worst cystic acne there ever was, every other day I had a new one and this went on for months where I wouldn’t even leave the house unless it was to get it injected- I’m also an avid picker and had terribly low self esteem . Anywho- if you’re able to take this medication— I would try because it might be the wonder drug for you too."

Dani123456 October 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "I had planned to write a lot more but it doesn't allow it. I had some devastating hormonal acne all around my jawline/neck area, basically the same area where a man would have a beard. I was never interested in taking Accutane due to the side effects but did some research and found Spironolactone *Aldactone as an apparent successful treatment. I've been taking it for 10 months now and my skin has never been better. I still get occasional pimples but I'm thankful for the drastic change. I started on 50mg ED for two weeks then upped it to 100mg ED for about 6 months or so and now I take a tablet (100mg) once to twice a week. I recommend it for anyone you legitimately has deep cystic hormonal acne that is on your face where a beard would grow."

veaconnell October 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Hirsutism: "I began taking this medication by the recommendation of my OB/GYN. I have suffered from hirsutism for around 11 years with each year bringing more and more excess hair growth. MD informed me I need to be on a birth control if taking this medication due to possible severe injury to a fetus. After one month of being on this medication, I have noticed a significant decrease in the massive amount of dark, coarse hair I had growing on my chin, lip and sideburn area. I used to shave twice a day and have a panic attack if I forgot a shaving session, but now I only have to shave in the AM and by PM, there is very minimal growth noted. Definitely continuing this medication."

JeeZee September 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Edema: "I was on this for edema, and after awhile my legs got rashes with like welts on my legs with water in them, plus it made a leg ulcer of mine look like I was burned, plus now off this I'm still have the welts full of water (blisters?),its very painfully, plus I'm dealing with the rash on my ankles! This water pill was suppose to help me, but now I'm in worse shape."

trishaRos059 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Hirsutism: "I'm a 23 year old girl who has struggled with acute hirsutism for years. It got so bad that I just resorted shaving my face and neck daily after years of waxing, plucking, threading to no avail. The hair was so bad on my neck that I sometimes had to shave it twice a day, as it was in small clusters of course black hair. Needless to say, this all caused me a lot of grief. I can honestly say that spiro has worked so well for me, as I have been using it in conjunction with laser hair removal on my face (once every 3/4 weeks), as well as with Vaniqua cream (daily), which is the only topical medication for hiritusim that I'm aware of ..in Australia at least. The results have been amazing and I feel so much more confident in myself already!!"

AJ1994 September 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "I've been on Spironolactone for 1 monuth. My face has some cystic acne yet, but it's ​now smaller than before. Everyone says it takes ​time to get better... You should wait at least 3 months​ to see the effects. But the problem is my self confidence. I think whenever​ I'm talking with someone, she just looks at my pimples. If I work on self confidence, most of the problems would be solved automatically. Even I wouldn't have any problem with my face. Having acne isn't worse than other problems like Cancer or sickness. I am just thankful for being healthy."

Nikiii September 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "I only took spiro 100mg for 10 days it was working but I was ill. After 4 days I was so dizzy with tachycardia, a year after stopping I still have the tachycardia... has anyone else suffered with this please?"

Cake252 September 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "Because I wanted results and I wanted them fast. I turned to all of the natural products to cure acne like apple cider vinegar and rose water and tea tree oil etc. Honestly I can for sure tell you I was making my skin worse. I was like heavily exfoliating every night and then putting hella oils on my skin and I didn't even know I was ruining it. My skin got super bad around finals and then didn't really get much better until spring break but then it bounced back and was worse than ever. It was the worst it's ever been at the beginning of summer so I went to the derm finally and got this stuff and no joke I haven't seen a zit on my face in so long it's just scars and my skin is like glowy just honestly try this it works 10/10 fam."

myoldskincantcometothephonern (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "I started having severe hormonal acne when I used dianne contraceptive pill. So after 3months, I stopped taking it. My acne became worst, like it was the only thing people focus on when I'm talking to them. I became hopeless and depressed. I searched online and found out about SPiro so I gave it a shot. Started on 50mg for 1 month then I'm on 100mg now. I'm on my 10th month on Spiro this week. I just noticed a few changes like my back acne clearing up, yet my facial acne (around 20pcs) is still there. They say it takes 3 months or more to see the results so I'm still crossing my fingers for this. Will update soon."

Julie_0722 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Alopecia: "As far as I'm concerned, Spironolactone is a miracle drug for female hair loss. It ABSOLUTELY regrows hair in addition to preventing further hair loss. I had a lot of hair loss around my crown from PCOS and after 6 months on spiro, my hair was growing back very thickly."

Sarah2200 August 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "At first this medication worked. Then it all went down hill. Recently went into the ER with a BP of 205/115. This medicine has stopped working for me. Also my potassium is low as well. Would not recommend this for BP"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Heart Failure: "Problems with sleeping, no appetite"

D26 (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "Since I'm now in my 30s and always take good care of my skin, my doctor thought my acne was probably hormone related so she wanted me to try spironolactone, 2 pills a day. She said it takes 3 months to start noticing a difference, however, I didn't get that far to see if there would be one, I quit at the 2 month mark due to all the side effects I was experiencing. Those side effects included the typical ones, such as upset stomach, dizziness and very low energy/drowsiness. Then more serious: upper lip numbness, rapid weight gain, cellulite & horrible breast pain. Not worth it."

CAgirl23 August 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Alopecia: "I have hair loss because of high DHEAs and testosterone Girls out there spiro is the best! I was all about natural stuff and and using herbs to lower my testosterone and DHEAs but as soon as they were working a lil bit I'd have some stressful episodes happening during my days and cortisol would push from the other side to higher my dhea again.I tried for 1 whole year and realized that nope this doesn't work. I need to be relaxed with this issue, get my life together and not be distracted with this. So I started using Spiro (50mg/day) and damn girl it worked like crazy fast like from the first week of using it! My average hair lose is about 20 hairs a day now. Its better than ever! having plan to take it for a year. Also NO side effects at all. I wish this helps if u have doubts trying it! good luck ladies."

happybeauty (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "Try it. My doctor prescribed 50mg and then upped me to 100mg in 2 months time. Haven't had a zit since he upped me to 100mg. Which is a miracle in itself. I woke up with a new zit every morning for 2 years. I use this along with an antibiotic, RetinA and a sulfur based leave on gel (all prescriptions). My life has changed dramatically. I still have scars but they get lighter once your acne inflammation goes down. Good luck!"

Stephens00000n (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "I am a teenage girl who suffers with hair growth on my face and bad acne and after 6 months of taking this medicine I'm so beyond relieved that my acne is completely gone and my hair growth is a lot less. I HIGHly recommend this medication to anyone with similar issues!!"

Chimmy chonga July 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "I was prescribed this medication to deal with having break outs monthly on my chin from hormones. I've been taking this for only a week. Let me tell you first that my body is very responsive to anything I put in it. I usually have one, MAX two bumps per month on my chin, in one week I literally have FIVE knot pimples on my chin. Not a big deal to you, but I'm 28 and have been super consistent with my breakouts, I have them down to a science. I'll be discontinuing this medication as of today. Sad because I truly had high hopes for future super clear skin, I'm glad it showed itself early."

jennyaus July 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Hirsutism: "I started taking 50mg spironolactone once a day for moderate hirsutism on my chin (up to like 30 terminal hairs), and other areas on my body, as well as moderate acne (constant breakouts). During the first 2 weeks I had crappy breakouts, and then like clock work, immediately after the 2 week mark, my skin started to clear up. I got electrolysis done and after just one visit, the hairs were no longer terminal on my chin, and most of them didn't even grow back at all (so basically the few that did grow back were like peach fuzz, which is the normal and unnoticeable hairs we have all over the body)."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 3, 2017