User Reviews for Spironolactone

Heart Failure
5.2

Summary of Spironolactone reviews 7.6 399 reviews

Reviews for Spironolactone

For Hirsutism: "I was diagnosed with Polycystic Ovaries at age 19 in 2003. My doctor started me on spironolactone for the hirsutism on my sideburns, chin, lip, and belly area. I took the medication for several months and never noticed a decrease in the hair growth or the hair growth becoming lighter. Apparently, it doesn't work for all patients with PCOS."

MissLeopard83 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 4, 2019

For Acne: "I started this medication January 17th. My dermatologist said it would clear up a few acne bumps that I get on my jaw line and chin. I have no other problem places on my face. I started out on 50mg, once a day. The first couple days I had horrible stomach issues and a pounding headache. After the 2 days the stomach issue went away, but my headache never went away. About a week after starting this medication the purge happened. I immediately started reading reviews and decided it was normal and it would be fast, furious and temporary. By week 3 I had acne everywhere! My cheeks, nose, forehead etc. The doctor decided to up my dose to 100mg and also gave me 100mg of Doxycycline. She said it would kill the acne with 3 days. Another week went by and I was getting dizzy, dry, my left leg was going numb, headache was blinding and more acne now moving onto my neck. I let this go on until mid March. I flushed the medicine. I feel so much better now."

N (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 3, 2019

For Acne: "I’m so happy I went on spironolactone! I was so ready to try anything (even accutane) when spironolactone was prescribed to me. I didn’t hesitate to go on it but I did have doubts in my mind about wether it would work or not bc I have gone thru many pills. Before taking this pill I didn’t think I had hormonal acne because I had acne all over my face and in my mind hormonal acne was meant to be on the jawline and chin. The dr explained to me that she would like to put me on this pill because I had been telling her that my skin would break out like crazy and the calm down for like a week before breaking out again - a sign of hormonal acne. My derm. put me on 50 mg to take at night but that didn’t change anything so she raised my dosage to 100 mg. About 3 months after taking my first pill I saw major change in my face. Of course it gets better slowly which is why you’ll one day look back at pics and be like woah my skin really is a lot better! Didn’t have enough typing space to write more :("

Rach April 3, 2019

For Alopecia: "I have been using a low dose of 25mg for 3 months now. Originally I noticed less shedding but currently my hair is thinner than before. Having moderate shedding now with diffuse hair loss. Has not improved the condition of my hair at all."

Hopeful (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 1, 2019

For Alopecia: "Have been on spironolactone for 25 mg daily for 2 months and have noticed a significant reduction in hair loss!!! It works!"

Nygal April 1, 2019

For Acne: "I was prescribed spironolactone for acne. It's off label and rarely prescribed in the UK. My acne is very severe, and I've tried every acne treatment apart from birth control pills as I have a stroke risk. My dermatologist prescribed me 100mg spironolactone to take once a day. My acne continued to worsen for the first few months. I did some online anecdotal research and began splitting the dose, taking it every 12 hours. It started to work! My dermatologist supported the dose-splitting, and doubled my dose (100mg twice a day) and it's been really working since! I have the occasional spot or two and especially around my period. But it feels like an absolute miracle for me! I probably pee and drink a bit more, I've been having two periods a month (although it's more like two half periods) and my skin is significantly drier (all over) even than it was on roaccutane. I still take each day as it comes, but I wish there would be more research into spironolactone so it could help more people like me."

little my March 31, 2019

For Acne: "Spironolactone worked great for my acne. It did take around 3 months for it to noticeably work, but it has done wonders! The only side effect I've noticed is that a have extremely vivid dreams/nightmares every night. I only saw one other person to mention this..so I don't know if it's extremely rare or if no one else has noticed."

S. (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 23, 2019

For Acne: "I’ve been on spiro for my acne for exactly 2 months. I’m taking 100mg. 50 in the morning and 50 at night. The only side effect I get is having to pee constantly but it’s not that serious. My acne has gotten worse, I now get acne in spots on my face where I never had it before. The acne come up in little balls and they never reach to a head they kind of just stay under the skin then rise up and slowly slowly SLOWLY get smaller. I hope that made any sense. The acne is also bright red and I hate my face so much. I’m gonna stay on the medication because I’m looking for the light at the end of the tunnel - it is suppose to get better"

Clawdz (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 18, 2019

Aldactone (spironolactone) for Alopecia: "I started taking spiractin 50mg 10 months ago for alopecia and saw instant results. In 2 weeks my hair stopped shedding and I grew back all the hair I had lost in past 2 years. However it just stopped working 4 months ago and now I’m shedding over 200 hairs a day. My dermatologist doubled the dose to 100mg 2 months ago but unfortunately it’s made zero impact :("

Chekei (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 16, 2019

For Not Listed / Other: "My hair, as expected started shedding after pregnancy, but then just wouldn't stop. 3 years after my last pregnancy my hair was still shedding like crazy & was looking very limp and sad. I had to wear clip in extensions daily to have any volume at all. My dermatologist said some women have chronic post partum hair loss (thats me) so she started me on 50mg spirolactone then went up to 100mg and in 3-4 months noticed a drastic difference - it works. The shedding stopped and hair felt fuller and healthier and I could see lots of new hair growth. She upped me to 150mg and I am at about 6 months now and improvements continue. I've had no issues other than peeing more and periods got a bit sporadic for a bit but seem to be going back to normal. I am so happy with this medication and it saved me from the dread & anxiety that was constantly there about my hair loss."

DrNegs March 15, 2019

For Acne: "I have had very bad hormonal acne since I was in middle school. My doctor put me on birth control which helped somewhat but not enough to notice a difference. I finally went on spironolcatone a little over a year ago and it was the best decision of my life. I barely have breakouts anymore. I take two 25mg pills a day. It doesn’t have any horrible side effects the only change is I drink and pee more which is worth the clear skin."

Mozzy (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 13, 2019

For Not Listed / Other: "I have been using spironolactone for hidradenitis suppurativa since July 2018. I started at 50mg and didn't see a difference until October 2018 when I got put on 100mg. It's been incredible, I have about one flare (single bump) a month, maximum! I used to flare constantly with more than one bump at a time. This medication is a LIFESAVER!! The only side effect I have is frequent menstruation, for which I take a low-dose combination pill. Now I can live without fear of my hidradenitis stopping me (not trying to sound like an ad, I actually really mean it)!!"

Hopeful9876543210 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 12, 2019

For Acne: "Long story short I have suffered from acne on and off for the past 10 years. I am 25 (f) now and have been on 100mg/day spironolactone as well as oral antiobiotics 150mg/day and topical tretinoin and birthcontrol. As you can see my derm loaded me up but after being on the BC for 3 months and then starting the spiro/antibiotics almost 3 weeks ago my face has gotten 95% better. I have only two pimples instead of having a face full. The only issue now is to get rid of the stubborn hyper pigmentation I've been left with... but I'm using facial peels which seems to be helping with that. I hope this helps someone in the same boat as me feeling as discouraged as I did."

It's finally over (taken for less than 1 month) March 5, 2019

For Acne: "I was told 3 weeks ago I have Hidradenitis suppurativa (HS) and PCOS. Went to a dermatologist to try and get help, so I can get my skin under control. Within the first week, under my arms did start to clear up, and I was feeling pretty good to START. After a couple more days I fainted. My dermatologist failed to mention that this is a medication for not just acne and hormonal balancing, but more for people with blood pressure issues. It just happened to help clear up your skin too. I did some research and was trying to abide by what it recommended you eat and drink with it. The 3rd week I was on this, started to feel dizziness, lightheaded. Next thing I know my heart was raising, shaking, chest pains and having a panic attack. This dermatologist told me that I wouldn't notice any major symptoms, I just might be peeing more. My Dr started me on 100mgs but I've read other reviews from other women who experienced the same if not worse symptoms than me and were on lower doses. I stopped taking the medication."

Jess (taken for less than 1 month) March 3, 2019

For Acne: "For over 10 years, I suffered from moderate to severe acne that only got worse with time. I'm 26 (F) now. As a teenager, it started with my face and gradually became an issue on my back and upper chest. I hoped that my skin would clear up after I entered my 20s as it does for so many other young people. Unfortunately, the opposite happened. I started to notice that my acne would get much worse during my monthly cycle, which became more apparent after I reached adulthood and meant it was hormonal. I visited a dermatologist and she gave me this med. Within a month or two of taking it, my acne started clearing up. The first improvement I noticed was on my face. Even during my period, it would remain clear. I still had the occasional breakout but it was nothing like it had been. After a few more weeks, my back and chest began to clear (2 or 3 month mark). It’s been over a year since I started taking Spiro and I am thrilled with the results. My skin is almost completely clear."

Sunshine90210 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 28, 2019

For Alopecia: "I have always had thick hair. I noticed at around age 47, I was shedding more. And even more alarming, my hair stylist commented on the shedding when she washed my hair. Mostly through the temples, but also a widening part. I've been on Spironolactone for a little over a year at 100mg. I feel like I have lots baby hairs through the temple, and my part looks more normal (sometimes I wonder if I see what I want to see...) BUT because my hair was so thick before, I was less worried about regrowing, and more concerned about stopping or slowing down the shedding. I do think I am back to shedding normal amounts of hair. I take one 100 mg pill at night and sleep through any side effects I'd have, but usually have to get up once to use the loo. I've read other comments about decreased libidio.. I do think I have a little of this but FEELING attractive has it's own upside. I do regularly have my potassium levels checked."

wildthingsmom (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 8, 2019

For Primary Hyperaldosteronism: "A perfect drug for me, having the diagnosis, since the mid '90s. The dose is however is 300mg, to obtain normal potassium levels and reasonable blood pleasure."

Arend (taken for 10 years or more) January 6, 2019

For Acne: "I was prescribed Accutane when I had very mild acne, and 4 months after taking it I was acne free (like seriously never had a pimple at all). That was all fine and dandy until 8 months later August 2018 I was hit with a cystic pimple that would just not go away and from that day on it spread. I now have acne all over my face and it not only takes forever to go away but all of them seem to be scarring. I started Spironolactone (50mg/Day) and Retin A on November 17th and my acne has gotten MUCH worse. I am having cystic breakouts everywhere. It went from my cheeks now to my forehead and smile lines, and my skin Is super dry!! I know you’re supposed to wait at least 2-3 months to start seeing results but I’m beginning to think if it’s just making it worse to go back on a second dose of Accutane as I feel I have tried everything!!!"

Soccergenius (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 26, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "Used half a tab of 25mg daily for two weeks with a two day interval between the weeks due to rash developing near belly button. Upon resumption no further rashes, but instead a tendinitis flareup with it starting to spread to the ankle. So I stopped taking it. Lab results with this small amount showed potassium slightly out of range, 5.5 on a scale of 2-5.3. The half tab didn't do a lot to keep BP down when added to 30mg Lisinipril I take. So I stopped taking it. I now believe most BP medicines were designed thinking someone from 60 up is sedentary. When one is a senior athlete I believe they leach something out of tendons and muscles causing problems."

HO (Handsome one) (taken for less than 1 month) December 20, 2018

For Acne: "I have been on spiro for about 9 months and it was done wonders for my acne. HOWEVER, over the past couple months I feel like all this medication is catching up to me. I have a constant dull headache, sometimes feel dizzy and lightheaded, I am sleepy 24/7, I just feel like I’m in a fog all the time. It’s an awful feeling. I take 100mg per day and am considering either lowering the dosage to 50mg or just completely stop taking it. I love what’s its done for my acne but at this point it’s affecting my life too much that it’s not worth it. I’m just worried my acne will come back if i stop it completely:("

user1994 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 16, 2018

For Acne: "I had tried nearly everything when my derm gave me two options: Accutane or Spironolactone. I was undecided at first but after reading a scientific journal about the higher rate of acne relapse of accutane users who have HORMONAL acne) I decided on the Spiro. I was so anxious taking that first pill. I started on Oct. 9th, 2018. 100 mg a day. I was expecting a wait of up to 6 months before progress. It is now Dec. 9th, 2018 and I am acne free. I no longer get painful cysts on the jawline before my period. The relief is amazing. And my hair is MUCH thicker now! Everyone comments and asks what I’ve been using on it! But it’s just the Spiro. It’s truly insane how unbalanced hormones can negatively affect your body. I know everyone will have a different experience but if you have hormonal acne, Spiro is definitely worth a shot."

Relieved at last!!! (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 9, 2018

For Acne: "Today are my Day 15 taken this medicine . I just want to left the record here for further refer . Thanks for those who left the positive comment here who support me continue taken this medicine. Since I started taking medicine, the drugs have brought me more frequent urination than before. my face now has new small pimples on the whole face, even the rare forehead and chin, one or two behind. I also have lethargy, emotional pessimism, etc. Wait. My face has been plagued by acne for four years, and I have been troubled by the fact that it did not break out before. Most of my problems are on my cheeks, all of which are closed-head acne. I will continue to take it because this is my last hope. I hope to keep a progress report on how it goes."

Qaseh (taken for less than 1 month) November 27, 2018

For Acne: "I was on this medication for 10-12 years for severe acne and I must say that it clears your acne up pretty good. I noticed that it burned my throat as I took it, but I was willing to take it to clear up my skin. About 4-5 years ago, I started having flushing of the face. Then almost 2 years ago, I started having severe heartburn, acid reflux, etc. Now something's wrong with my digestive system and I've got to have further testing done. I have obviously stopped taking this medication, but I didn't know it was the cause of my problems for a long time. So I just have to say that if you start having heartburn or it makes your heartburn worse, stop taking this medication! It isn't worth it."

Lildary (taken for 10 years or more) November 25, 2018

For Acne: "Best pill for acne!! I experienced no purge. Was a bit tired for the first week and peed a little more but that's about it. Started working right away pretty much & I didn't even think I had hormonal acne! I was doing the natural route for a bit but saw no improvements and gave up. I was seeing a naturopath and it showed I was sensitive to sugar, wheat, and dairy so I was eating a strict diet, if this is you then it is probably hormonal! So happy I can eat whatever now and not have to worry. I have been on only for 2 months also."

SH (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 15, 2018

Aldactone (spironolactone) for Acne: "This medication was prescribed to treat my hormonal acne. The side effects that I experienced outweighed any positives. I did observe my acne to subside, but my skin became so dry and parched doing so. My face looked sunken in, and aged. I'm only 27, and I do not smoke and only occasionally consume alcoholic beverages. My libido was nearly nonexistent. I was very dry in my genitals, and could not self lubricate for sex. My hair was also incredibly dry, and brittle, and I noticed hair thinning at my scalp. My hair was coming out noticeably more as well. I was having difficulty sleeping. I gained nearly 10 pounds since starting... I eat fairly healthy and balanced. I was only on Spiro for roughly 4 months. I've been off of it for only a few days, but I swear I already feel and look so much better. Ill take some pimples and oily (but healthy) facial skin."

Mandy (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 31, 2018