User Reviews for Spironolactone

Heart Failure
5.2

Summary of Spironolactone reviews 7.7 375 reviews

Reviews for Spironolactone

For Hirsutism: "I started to get hairs on my face and kneck when I turned 24 years old. After that it just got worse to the point of having a full beard. Very embarrassing. I did lazer hair removal which didn't help since they didn't know what was causing the growth. I have been taking 100mg of spirolactane twice a day now for around a year. There are less hairs my leg armpit hairs etc. Grow at a normal rate now. I still have a fair amount of unwanted hair but it is fine and blonde now rather than course and black. I can grow my chin hairs out to wax them without people staring at me like I'm a mutant now so that's a plus. I will never stop taking these pills and may eventually see if my doc will up the dosage again."

Nell (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 3, 2018

For Acne: "I had a great experience with Spironolactone until my pharmacy changed the pill. I’m not sure what brand I was on before but I know it had a minty coating and worked really well! I saw complete skin clearing within 3-4 months. Then the pill was changed and the bottle says “Accord Healthcare” and the acne has come back, almost worse than before. Really frustrating that different brands of the same drug will cause such drastic changes."

Anonymous October 2, 2018

For Acne: "First of all: yes it works! This medication was the best decision I ever made in my 10 years of battling acne. This journey began when I was only 9 years old. At my physical when 10 years old I was prescribed EpiDuo. Didn’t work for months. I saw a local dermo on a monthly basis for 4 yrs tried Adapalene, Tretinoin, you name it, last treatment we tried was minocycline Big mistake, big allergic reaction, big hospital bill. After that dermo will not help me because of the situation. I went on to other products spending $2000+, lactic acid, peels, scar removals etc. Then noticed my period was not normal which brought me to see an endo and gyno and am diagnosed with PCOS. I started with birth control which wasn’t for me. Then prescribed aldactone. With no hopes, as they said may help with acne but mainly for PCOS. My skin cleared up after two weeks. This was what I needed after my 10 year battle. If I could tel anyone, please try this if topicals don’t work. Best medication ever. No side effects for me."

Shanza September 22, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "This medication doesn't work very well on bringing my blood pressure and the mint coating gives me awful heartburn"

Janet Doe (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 19, 2018

For Hirsutism: "I have been taking spirinolactone for going on two years in March (2019). I can say that my chin hairs, though still dark, are not nearly as many and they are definitely not as course as they were. I’m kinda small so my doctor will not up my dosage from 50mg a day because I get dizzy really easily and I actually thank her for having the foresight to know that. At 37 years old I have had this condition a really long time so it would be foolish for me to think that it should go away in a short amount of time. I would say to those still waiting, give it time. Also, I was seeing a substantial amount of results until I starting getting my face waxed, then noticed my hair growing back and quickly. Then I was told this week by a waxer at European wax center that some of these wax shops (including them) use a growth serum after waxing (so that their customers will come back), she was sure that my previous waxers probably were using the serum on me (for a whole year!). Time to start doing my own waxing!"

Jesandme (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 16, 2018

For Hirsutism: "I have been taking spironolactone for 3 years to treat severe hirsutism. (dosage has been adjusted a few times, currently 100mg). My only side effect was occasional low sodium, which is easily remedied with diet or salt tablets. I shave my face daily, and even with a smooth shave my hair is so dark and coarse it is visible under the skin. Not only has spironolactone not helped, my hirsutism has continued to get worse. Also, my aldosterone (LCMS, serum) was 9.3 before starting spironolactone. It increased but stayed within normal range while taking 50mg/day. After taking 200mg/day for a few months, my aldosterone went up to 45.9."

Ann (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 24, 2018

For Edema: "Drug was initiated in combination with Furosemide while hospitalized for liver disease with ascites. Was told this was the gold standard treatment for this. Result was fluid shifts, electrolyte imbalance, impaired kidneys and severe muscle cramping. Nine months off this drug and the reduced kidney function and high potassium levels persist. For some people the potassium sparing does not stop when the drug is discontinued. There is no antidote for it."

BLW (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 12, 2018

For Hirsutism: "I'm on day 190ish of 100mg. I have been on it for more than a year but my doctor just reupped my dosage. I am on it for excessive facial hair (shave daily) blood pressure and acne. I have only had the lower blood pressure and less arm pit hair. I still have to shave daily or I have a 5 o'clock shadow. Going to doctor soon to hopefully find something better."

MaryofScot (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 3, 2018

For Acne: "This is the best medicine I've ever taken for acne and I've tried so many. It really helped make my skin less oily, so I have significantly fewer breakouts (even period-related breakouts have stopped). It is taken orally so you don't have to get medicine on your pillow and towels, it's the best. I haven't experienced any side effects."

rlcourtney (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 5, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "For those of you who have you spironolactone for years and now received a different brand, and it's not working, you are in the same boat with all spironolactone users regardless of diagnosis. Apparently the manufacturers of Par and Actavis decided to stop making this drug, and no one can figure out as to why. The manufacturer Cadista had stepped in and producing a brownish round pill that seems to do nothing for people who really need spironolactone for their health. Call the FDA, call your Physician, call your Pharmacist, and request that the spironolactone be manufactured by Par or Actavis which is a oval, white pill be reproduced so we can get back to being healthy again! Not to scare you, but Canada is also having some of the same shortages."

SsTexas June 27, 2018

For Acne: "I considered spironolactone a miracle for a couple years, then CVS started giving me a different brand generic. It does not work at all! I don't have the brand info from my previous pills. This new pill says "Accord Healthcare] on the label. It also has a vile odor."

Ljd (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 24, 2018

For Alopecia: "I had suffered from hair loss for 3 years. I now have been taking spirolactone 50mg per day for 2 weeks and my hair stopped shedding! I tried everything but nothing works like spironolatone. I feel free. I can wash my hair more than twice a month without feeling depressed at all the hair falling out. Also, zero side effects so far."

Jen (taken for less than 1 month) June 21, 2018

For Acne: "I've been on a low dose of 50 mg for 4 months now and Spiro works! You will purge badly at the beginning but you just have to get through it somehow because the results will be so worth it. If you're experiencing really bad side effects like headaches or stomach issues, try experimenting with different brands because unfortunately some brands will give you horrible side effects while others won't. I'm taking a generic with little/no side effects, the only thing I have is a dry, flakey scalp and ears."

Simone (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 16, 2018

For Acne: "I posted a comment about spirolactone here last Sept2017 at that time, there were almost no changes especially with my face being oily and facial acne looking exaggerated. Starting last February 2018, the dramatic change happened, exactly 8 months later. My face cleared up and the oiliness was gone. Now I get 1-2 very tiny pimples (very unnoticeable) before my period. I shifted from 100mg June-February to 50mg Feb-May2018. Good luck on your journey guys! I hope this helped. xoxo"

Julie_0722 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 22, 2018

Aldactone (spironolactone) for Hirsutism: "Aldactone works great for hirsutism if it is because of adrenal androgen excess ."

Majuma May 22, 2018

Aldactone (spironolactone) for High Blood Pressure: "I’ve had high blood pressure since my early forties. When I turned 50, my blood pressure became harder to control. I was on the max dosage of lisinopril, and I tried various others but the best my blood pressure would get is 140/88. I went to a cardiologist and he prescribed aldactone, along with 40mg of lisinopril. My bp has been perfect a 120/70 from then on. It’s been three years since I started it."

Chris (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 19, 2018

For Acne: "This medicine has changed my life! I used to suffer from terrible cystic acne. My skin was always inflamed and the healing process was extremely delayed... it was horrible! I have read many reviews that mentioned an adjustment period (a month or two of worsened acne) prior to any desired effects, but - for me - this was not the case. This medication proved beneficial within the first week and continued to improve as the dose was adjusted (though I am still only on a very small dose, twice a day). One added (and unexpected) benefit was that I stopped getting cold sores. Seriously. Recurrence of cold sores was getting entirely out of control (to the point where I was having to take preventative medicine nearly every other day) and - after starting this medicine - the recurrences completely stopped! Best side effect ever! Anyhow, my skin is now clear - with exception of the rare tiny pimple - and I am free of cold sores. Have not had any problems and am so incredibly happy."

:) (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 15, 2018

For Hirsutism: "I could pluck hairs, go to bed, wake up in the morning and have new hairs. The hairs were very thick and coarse. This causes dark spots on my jawline. I was ashamed to look people in the face. I went to multiple doctors through the years. I have been using Spirolactone less than a week with noticeable improvement. I keep looking in the mirror and trying to find hair. My skin softer and smoother. I can't believe I suffered for 30 years and seeing results so fast. I was afraid to take at first because I take Dilatizem and Benicar. No problem so far. Blood pressure running about the same."

Cleopatty (taken for less than 1 month) May 2, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "Low blood pressure was the worst side effect."

Steve (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 6, 2018

For Alopecia: "My specialist has yet to diagnose me because I'm right on the line of TE and androgenic alopecia. Either way my hair started falling out rapidly and I was horrified. I was put on 25mg of spirolactone and then increased to 100mg. This has helped me DRAMATICALLY. I've been on spiro for 8 months and just began 100mg 2 months ago and I think its safe to say 90% of my hair is back! I felt the dizziness mentioned in reviews only for the first month or so when I was taking 25mg then I was fine. However, it has significantly lowered my sex drive but give a little take a little. I was becoming so upset and self conscious and now I feel like myself again. After chopping off 4 inches of dry brittle hair that ai started with I'm left with a thicker, healthier, bob. Very very happy."

Liza (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 30, 2018

For Acne: "female adult mid 50's with acne most of life, 2nd report after 1 year. No new acne problems, just the scarring left over. No side effects, still have to wear make up to cover blemishes but acne free. Take 50mg once a day and not sure how long I will be able to stay on this medication? I did think I would have this beautiful make up free skin so I am disappointed about that. But the main goal was to rid of acne and this has happened. Would do this medication again."

2017face (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 29, 2018

For Acne: "This drug is fantastic for hormonal acne. I had bad acne as a teen, and while most of it went away, I have had nasty cystic zits on my chin since then. I'm 40 now, had tried all kinds of OTC and prescription creams and washes that didn't do much. So my dermatologist suggested spironolactone, and it changed EVERYTHING. I went from 1-4 zits all the time to maybe one, small, quick-healing pimple when I have my period. Be sure to give it a couple of months to allow the drug to work and allow the side effects to fade. I don't have side effects now that I've been taking it for 5 month, but during the first month or two I had some bleeding outside of my period. It took about that long for the positive effects to kick in, too. It was frustrating but I'm so glad I stuck with it."

chroe (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 27, 2018

For Acne: "This has given me consistent heart burn! (Side effect) I will take acne over how I have been feeling any day."

Megka (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 25, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "Took medication for 2 days, woke up with severe diarrhea, stomach pains & severe vomiting. My body became VERY dehydrated and legs, ankles and feet began to have muscle spasms. After finally keeping some sea salt down I was able to go back to work after 48 hours of cramping! Continued taking this medication for another 3 weeks but my stomach was so messed up I still haven't gone back to eating meats. Cramps have come back and today my primary, who didn't prescribe this medication said this medication was the culprit and took me off of it. He stated the medication has all my electrolytes all out of balance. Other symptoms are extreme muscle weakness and uncontrollable drowsiness, sharp pains throughout my body, bad headaches, tightness in head, dizziness & unexplained confusion, very scary side effects. It appears this medication may hold on to potassium but it definitely sucked the other electrolytes out of me. I wouldn't recommend this medication to anyone."

53 Year Old Female (taken for less than 1 month) March 22, 2018

For Hirsutism: "I have PCOS and take this medicine for face/body acne and hirsutism. I have hair on my face, chest, and stomach. I have been on 50 mg/day of spiro for almost three years and it has helped a lot. My acne is reduced and so is my face and body hair, and I don't have any side effects. It also makes me less prone to bloating. I did recently go up to 100 mg/day because although there has been a big improvement, I do still have a bit of body and facial hair and I do still get a bit of acne. I'm trying to see how much an increase in dose would help. I definitely suggest this medicine, I love it. Just make sure your doctor checks your electrolyte levels periodically while you are on it."

penguin88 (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 12, 2018

Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ...

Micromedex® Care Notes