User Reviews for Spironolactone

Heart Failure
5.2

Summary of Spironolactone reviews 7.7 362 reviews

Reviews for Spironolactone

For Acne: "I posted a comment about spirolactone here last Sept2017 at that time, there were almost no changes especially with my face being oily and facial acne looking exaggerated. Starting last February 2018, the dramatic change happened, exactly 8 months later. My face cleared up and the oiliness was gone. Now I get 1-2 very tiny pimples (very unnoticeable) before my period. I shifted from 100mg June-February to 50mg Feb-May2018. Good luck on your journey guys! I hope this helped. xoxo"

Julie_0722 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 22, 2018

Aldactone (spironolactone) for Hirsutism: "Aldactone works great for hirsutism if it is because of adrenal androgen excess ."

Majuma May 22, 2018

Aldactone (spironolactone) for High Blood Pressure: "I’ve had high blood pressure since my early forties. When I turned 50, my blood pressure became harder to control. I was on the max dosage of lisinopril, and I tried various others but the best my blood pressure would get is 140/88. I went to a cardiologist and he prescribed aldactone, along with 40mg of lisinopril. My bp has been perfect a 120/70 from then on. It’s been three years since I started it."

Chris (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 19, 2018

For Acne: "This medicine has changed my life! I used to suffer from terrible cystic acne. My skin was always inflamed and the healing process was extremely delayed... it was horrible! I have read many reviews that mentioned an adjustment period (a month or two of worsened acne) prior to any desired effects, but - for me - this was not the case. This medication proved beneficial within the first week and continued to improve as the dose was adjusted (though I am still only on a very small dose, twice a day). One added (and unexpected) benefit was that I stopped getting cold sores. Seriously. Recurrence of cold sores was getting entirely out of control (to the point where I was having to take preventative medicine nearly every other day) and - after starting this medicine - the recurrences completely stopped! Best side effect ever! Anyhow, my skin is now clear - with exception of the rare tiny pimple - and I am free of cold sores. Have not had any problems and am so incredibly happy."

:) (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 15, 2018

For Hirsutism: "I could pluck hairs, go to bed, wake up in the morning and have new hairs. The hairs were very thick and coarse. This causes dark spots on my jawline. I was ashamed to look people in the face. I went to multiple doctors through the years. I have been using Spirolactone less than a week with noticeable improvement. I keep looking in the mirror and trying to find hair. My skin softer and smoother. I can't believe I suffered for 30 years and seeing results so fast. I was afraid to take at first because I take Dilatizem and Benicar. No problem so far. Blood pressure running about the same."

Cleopatty (taken for less than 1 month) May 2, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "Low blood pressure was the worst side effect."

Steve (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 6, 2018

For Alopecia: "My specialist has yet to diagnose me because I'm right on the line of TE and androgenic alopecia. Either way my hair started falling out rapidly and I was horrified. I was put on 25mg of spirolactone and then increased to 100mg. This has helped me DRAMATICALLY. I've been on spiro for 8 months and just began 100mg 2 months ago and I think its safe to say 90% of my hair is back! I felt the dizziness mentioned in reviews only for the first month or so when I was taking 25mg then I was fine. However, it has significantly lowered my sex drive but give a little take a little. I was becoming so upset and self conscious and now I feel like myself again. After chopping off 4 inches of dry brittle hair that ai started with I'm left with a thicker, healthier, bob. Very very happy."

Liza (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 30, 2018

For Acne: "female adult mid 50's with acne most of life, 2nd report after 1 year. No new acne problems, just the scarring left over. No side effects, still have to wear make up to cover blemishes but acne free. Take 50mg once a day and not sure how long I will be able to stay on this medication? I did think I would have this beautiful make up free skin so I am disappointed about that. But the main goal was to rid of acne and this has happened. Would do this medication again."

2017face (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 29, 2018

For Acne: "This drug is fantastic for hormonal acne. I had bad acne as a teen, and while most of it went away, I have had nasty cystic zits on my chin since then. I'm 40 now, had tried all kinds of OTC and prescription creams and washes that didn't do much. So my dermatologist suggested spironolactone, and it changed EVERYTHING. I went from 1-4 zits all the time to maybe one, small, quick-healing pimple when I have my period. Be sure to give it a couple of months to allow the drug to work and allow the side effects to fade. I don't have side effects now that I've been taking it for 5 month, but during the first month or two I had some bleeding outside of my period. It took about that long for the positive effects to kick in, too. It was frustrating but I'm so glad I stuck with it."

chroe (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 27, 2018

For Acne: "This has given me consistent heart burn! (Side effect) I will take acne over how I have been feeling any day."

Megka (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 25, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "Took medication for 2 days, woke up with severe diarrhea, stomach pains & severe vomiting. My body became VERY dehydrated and legs, ankles and feet began to have muscle spasms. After finally keeping some sea salt down I was able to go back to work after 48 hours of cramping! Continued taking this medication for another 3 weeks but my stomach was so messed up I still haven't gone back to eating meats. Cramps have come back and today my primary, who didn't prescribe this medication said this medication was the culprit and took me off of it. He stated the medication has all my electrolytes all out of balance. Other symptoms are extreme muscle weakness and uncontrollable drowsiness, sharp pains throughout my body, bad headaches, tightness in head, dizziness & unexplained confusion, very scary side effects. It appears this medication may hold on to potassium but it definitely sucked the other electrolytes out of me. I wouldn't recommend this medication to anyone."

53 Year Old Female (taken for less than 1 month) March 22, 2018

For Hirsutism: "I have PCOS and take this medicine for face/body acne and hirsutism. I have hair on my face, chest, and stomach. I have been on 50 mg/day of spiro for almost three years and it has helped a lot. My acne is reduced and so is my face and body hair, and I don't have any side effects. It also makes me less prone to bloating. I did recently go up to 100 mg/day because although there has been a big improvement, I do still have a bit of body and facial hair and I do still get a bit of acne. I'm trying to see how much an increase in dose would help. I definitely suggest this medicine, I love it. Just make sure your doctor checks your electrolyte levels periodically while you are on it."

penguin88 (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 12, 2018

For Alopecia: "My dermatologist suggested I start this medication as I was seeing a lot of hair shedding. I'm taking 50mg a day. I've been taking it for 2 weeks and I cannot believe how much it's stopped the shedding. Where I lost a sizeable amount (80+) of hair a day, I'm only shedding ~30 hairs. The only side affect I've been having is slight heartburn. Looking forward to continuing to use this medicine!"

led (taken for less than 1 month) March 8, 2018

Aldactone (spironolactone) for Hirsutism: "I was diagnosed with 2 years ago with polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS)and was prescribed aldactone 50mg and metformin 500mg two times a day. Was never regular in taking the medicine. Skipped it for months in a row. Problem started 5-6 months back when my body hair, side burns, upper lip and chin hair started increasing. Last month I plucked out almost 80 really thick hair out of my chin and I had a stupid five o clock shadow on my upper lip after shaving. I was desperate and started taking the meds properly. Trust me people it's not even a month and the thickness of unwanted hair became half and grows really slow. All you have to do is have faith and never miss a tablet. It really can do wonders in your life."

Spe (taken for less than 1 month) February 26, 2018

For Edema: "I'm a 64 year old Male, I'm 6'1" and weigh 297lb. I am borderline Diabetic, and had Asthma my whole life. I have been on Spironolactone 50Mg (1 a Day) for over six years. At first it seemed to work as it lowered my BP and helped with my swollen ankles and feet. I noticed that Spironolactone improved my Breathing some after taking for about a month. I now have a red welt or blister on my left shin near my ankle. Its been there for almost a year. My blood pressure is still good due to Losartin, but my ankles are now always swollen and my breathing is back to the way it was, so-so. I have read terrible reviews about this drug on this web sites as in premature Deaths caused by long time use of Spironolactone, plus Serious levels of high Potassium that required Hospitalization. I am currently taking (all Generic) Lipitor, Losartin, Spironolactone, Theophylline, Singular, Xopenex and Combivent inhalers. I also take Lexapro for depression."

RickJ1941 February 21, 2018

For Acne: "I've only taken about a weeks worth of this medication, but I've experienced dizziness, tiredness and cramps which is the worst, feels like menstrual pain or contractions every 5 mins, like I'm about to have a baby or something. My menstrual cycle is usually 4th day very light, I'm still bleeding on the fourth day. Took pain killers still experiencing terrible cramps, this is not for me, I'll take the acne any day"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) February 19, 2018

For Acne: "I’ve been using Spirinolactone for 4 months with no results. I was hoping to see any, but I didn’t. My skin was as bad, as before. Also this Med goes through our liver and in a long run can cause digestive problems. It gave me cramps, I lost some weight , skin stopped being oily, but acne didn’t go away. I used it with RetiA and benzoyl peroxide cleanser. "

Innapolutska February 13, 2018

For Hirsutism: "57. Spiro for 2 months. PCOS. Bleached hair from 11-17. Shaved from 2017 until now. Black & white course on all body parts including toes, fingers, beard, breast, upper thigh, pubic extreme, arms, eyebrows, back, buttocks, abdomen. On Metformin for years for mild diabetes. 80 extra pounds but not until last 20 years but still hairy. Post menopausal. No high blood tests probably due to menopause per Dr. 50 mg 2x day. Side effects 1 mo, nausea, headaches, tired. Gained 7 lbs in 2 mos. Pores on nose smaller. Drier skin and hair. No reduction in acne or hair. Hair on face so course it is painful to rub it. Feel like a man. Has stopped me from ever dating again due to not wanting to shave everything anymore. Depressed (was before). Asking to up dosage."

Mimimama78 February 11, 2018

For Alopecia: "I was put on this for HS. I was also diagnosed with Alopecia 10 years ago and have always had issues with thinning hair. Hair is curly and has volume so I never really did anything about it, it was easy to hide. I stopped the Spironolactone because it didn't help my HS, having no idea about its other benefits. Stressful times arose, hair suffered, started to see that bald shine and it was/is VERY noticeable. I researched, learned about spirono, called my derm and he put me back on, 75 mg a day. I kid you not people, my hair is showing regrowth already, few cm. Of course having alopecia a lot are the thin white hair that hopefully turn into thicker darker shafts but most are my natural color brown. Its only been 2 months. I also use cold pressed castor oil and onion juice one the weekends. Started Nov. 22nd and today is Feb. 6 2018. No side effects."

Ms Martian February 7, 2018

For Gender Dysphoria: "Worked great for a while, then I started losing weight, feeling tired, trouble swallowing, etc. My GP and the multiple specialists she sent me to told me it was an eating disorder and referred me to an eating disorder clinic...honestly don't trust MOST doctors after this. It turned out Spironolactone was the cause, because when I asked the Endocrinologist(not the one that originally prescribed Spiro for me) prescribing my meds to switch me to an alternative, the side effects went away and now I'm able to eat the same portions as those around me. if this medication works for you, great. But if you do start feeling unusually tired, bloated, can't eat, cant sleep and have trouble swallowing...GET OFF OF IT! It's not worth it."

ArwenV February 5, 2018

For Acne: "I'm 36 and have suffered painful big red ugly monthly cystic acne since the birth of my 2nd child at age 29. Usually the cysts take 1-2 weeks to stop hurting and 1 month to go away. However by my third day of spiro the cysts stopped being "active" and are significantly smaller. My chin is not as oily. I have only been on the medication 2 weeks and have not experienced any side effects and hopefully won't. I'm amazed at the results so far."

EmmaMarina February 1, 2018

For Acne: "I was first perscribed Spironolactone when my hormonal acne was becoming devastating, around age 24. I would wake up every day with new cystic acne. I became very depressed and even missed work multiple times due to my breakouts. I started taking a low dose of this drug around August 2012. After a few months, I did not notice much of a difference. Once my doctor increased the dose, I really started noticing significant results. It changed my life. Spironolactone would have had a faster effect if I identified by triggers sooner. I have found that B12 supplements and soy may still cause me to break out."

No Banana Amanda January 26, 2018

For Acne: "I’m 38 and started getting hormonal acne in my early 30’s with painful cysts that took weeks to go away. I tried so many OTC and prescribed topicals that never worked and sometimes made it worse. I finally went to the dermatologist in July and she put me on 100mg of Spiro. My face got so much worse in the beginning and I just wanted to quit! But I read the reviews and decided to be patient and give it time. I didn’t see results until a good 4 months after starting it. I’m now 6 months in and my skin is the clearest it’s been in years. I know it’s no fun but for me those few months of awful breakouts was so worth it! Be patient! It really does work!"

AprilKT (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 20, 2018

For Acne: "I have been on spironolactone for about 2 months now due to cystic acne. Although a cyst on my face has not gone away yet, I do know it takes about 3 months for the medication to work. My skin has been relatively clear otherwise where I normally get severe breakouts. Although, I have had some strange side effects. My breasts have been extremely tender and have increased in size. I thought I had developed lumps in my breasts, so I went to my primary care and she told me the lumps were not abnormal and it was just my body reacting to the medication! I do recommend seeing your doctor if you have severe side effects. Otherwise, I have only experienced slight nausea and slight dizziness. I am on 50 mg twice a day."

goody12 January 3, 2018

For Acne: "I’ve been on it for about 3 years and love a lot of what it does for my complexion. My skin used to be 90% cysts and blackheads but now I rarely get any flare ups. However, I did go through a really rough patch when I was learning to work with this medicine. I was extremely sensitive to light, had VERY dry skin, and had to limit my potassium intake. I worked out all the kinks and learned how to live with it. I do miss eating fries and everything else with potassium, but the pros outweigh the cons for me."

Kttt December 29, 2017