User Reviews for Spironolactone systemic

Heart Failure
5.2

Summary of Spironolactone reviews 7.6 386 reviews

Reviews for Spironolactone

For Alopecia: "I have always had thick hair. I noticed at around age 47, I was shedding more. And even more alarming, my hair stylist commented on the shedding when she washed my hair. Mostly through the temples, but also a widening part. I've been on Spironolactone for a little over a year at 100mg. I feel like I have lots baby hairs through the temple, and my part looks more normal (sometimes I wonder if I see what I want to see...) BUT because my hair was so thick before, I was less worried about regrowing, and more concerned about stopping or slowing down the shedding. I do think I am back to shedding normal amounts of hair. I take one 100 mg pill at night and sleep through any side effects I'd have, but usually have to get up once to use the loo. I've read other comments about decreased libidio.. I do think I have a little of this but FEELING attractive has it's own upside. I do regularly have my potassium levels checked."

wildthingsmom (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 8, 2019

For Primary Hyperaldosteronism: "A perfect drug for me, having the diagnosis, since the mid '90s. The dose is however is 300mg, to obtain normal potassium levels and reasonable blood pleasure."

Arend (taken for 10 years or more) January 6, 2019

For Acne: "I was prescribed Accutane when I had very mild acne, and 4 months after taking it I was acne free (like seriously never had a pimple at all). That was all fine and dandy until 8 months later August 2018 I was hit with a cystic pimple that would just not go away and from that day on it spread. I now have acne all over my face and it not only takes forever to go away but all of them seem to be scarring. I started Spironolactone (50mg/Day) and Retin A on November 17th and my acne has gotten MUCH worse. I am having cystic breakouts everywhere. It went from my cheeks now to my forehead and smile lines, and my skin Is super dry!! I know you’re supposed to wait at least 2-3 months to start seeing results but I’m beginning to think if it’s just making it worse to go back on a second dose of Accutane as I feel I have tried everything!!!"

Soccergenius (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 26, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "Used half a tab of 25mg daily for two weeks with a two day interval between the weeks due to rash developing near belly button. Upon resumption no further rashes, but instead a tendinitis flareup with it starting to spread to the ankle. So I stopped taking it. Lab results with this small amount showed potassium slightly out of range, 5.5 on a scale of 2-5.3. The half tab didn't do a lot to keep BP down when added to 30mg Lisinipril I take. So I stopped taking it. I now believe most BP medicines were designed thinking someone from 60 up is sedentary. When one is a senior athlete I believe they leach something out of tendons and muscles causing problems."

HO (Handsome one) (taken for less than 1 month) December 20, 2018

For Acne: "I have been on spiro for about 9 months and it was done wonders for my acne. HOWEVER, over the past couple months I feel like all this medication is catching up to me. I have a constant dull headache, sometimes feel dizzy and lightheaded, I am sleepy 24/7, I just feel like I’m in a fog all the time. It’s an awful feeling. I take 100mg per day and am considering either lowering the dosage to 50mg or just completely stop taking it. I love what’s its done for my acne but at this point it’s affecting my life too much that it’s not worth it. I’m just worried my acne will come back if i stop it completely:("

user1994 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 16, 2018

For Acne: "I had tried nearly everything when my derm gave me two options: Accutane or Spironolactone. I was undecided at first but after reading a scientific journal about the higher rate of acne relapse of accutane users who have HORMONAL acne) I decided on the Spiro. I was so anxious taking that first pill. I started on Oct. 9th, 2018. 100 mg a day. I was expecting a wait of up to 6 months before progress. It is now Dec. 9th, 2018 and I am acne free. I no longer get painful cysts on the jawline before my period. The relief is amazing. And my hair is MUCH thicker now! Everyone comments and asks what I’ve been using on it! But it’s just the Spiro. It’s truly insane how unbalanced hormones can negatively affect your body. I know everyone will have a different experience but if you have hormonal acne, Spiro is definitely worth a shot."

Relieved at last!!! (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 9, 2018

For Acne: "Today are my Day 15 taken this medicine . I just want to left the record here for further refer . Thanks for those who left the positive comment here who support me continue taken this medicine. Since I started taking medicine, the drugs have brought me more frequent urination than before. my face now has new small pimples on the whole face, even the rare forehead and chin, one or two behind. I also have lethargy, emotional pessimism, etc. Wait. My face has been plagued by acne for four years, and I have been troubled by the fact that it did not break out before. Most of my problems are on my cheeks, all of which are closed-head acne. I will continue to take it because this is my last hope. I hope to keep a progress report on how it goes."

Qaseh (taken for less than 1 month) November 27, 2018

For Acne: "I was on this medication for 10-12 years for severe acne and I must say that it clears your acne up pretty good. I noticed that it burned my throat as I took it, but I was willing to take it to clear up my skin. About 4-5 years ago, I started having flushing of the face. Then almost 2 years ago, I started having severe heartburn, acid reflux, etc. Now something's wrong with my digestive system and I've got to have further testing done. I have obviously stopped taking this medication, but I didn't know it was the cause of my problems for a long time. So I just have to say that if you start having heartburn or it makes your heartburn worse, stop taking this medication! It isn't worth it."

Lildary (taken for 10 years or more) November 25, 2018

For Acne: "Best pill for acne!! I experienced no purge. Was a bit tired for the first week and peed a little more but that's about it. Started working right away pretty much & I didn't even think I had hormonal acne! I was doing the natural route for a bit but saw no improvements and gave up. I was seeing a naturopath and it showed I was sensitive to sugar, wheat, and dairy so I was eating a strict diet, if this is you then it is probably hormonal! So happy I can eat whatever now and not have to worry. I have been on only for 2 months also."

SH (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 15, 2018

Aldactone (spironolactone) for Acne: "This medication was prescribed to treat my hormonal acne. The side effects that I experienced outweighed any positives. I did observe my acne to subside, but my skin became so dry and parched doing so. My face looked sunken in, and aged. I'm only 27, and I do not smoke and only occasionally consume alcoholic beverages. My libido was nearly nonexistent. I was very dry in my genitals, and could not self lubricate for sex. My hair was also incredibly dry, and brittle, and I noticed hair thinning at my scalp. My hair was coming out noticeably more as well. I was having difficulty sleeping. I gained nearly 10 pounds since starting... I eat fairly healthy and balanced. I was only on Spiro for roughly 4 months. I've been off of it for only a few days, but I swear I already feel and look so much better. Ill take some pimples and oily (but healthy) facial skin."

Mandy (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 31, 2018

For Alopecia: "As a young woman I noticed my hair thinning. I was losing up to a hundred strands of hair just in the shower. Then I had my three children and my hair stabilized for awhile. At about 36 I started to lose hair again and my dermatologist prescribed spirolactone. It was only about 50 milligrams daily, but it worked. My hair was still fine, but soft and full. I weaned myself to 25 milligrams and then off, all in about five years. Now I’m 55. A year ago I noticed loss again, but worse. My dermatologist put me on 100 mgs daily. At first I was dehydrated and had terrible night cramps. I increased my water consumption and don’t drink as much in the evening. Now I sleep through the night and I am cramp free. I have noticed a dramatic change and have no concerns about my hair. Right now I take a break every three days, but will soon start to reduce my daily intake. For me this medication is amazing and I hope that everyone has the success I’ve had."

Rondy October 23, 2018

For Hirsutism: "I started to get hairs on my face and kneck when I turned 24 years old. After that it just got worse to the point of having a full beard. Very embarrassing. I did lazer hair removal which didn't help since they didn't know what was causing the growth. I have been taking 100mg of spirolactane twice a day now for around a year. There are less hairs my leg armpit hairs etc. Grow at a normal rate now. I still have a fair amount of unwanted hair but it is fine and blonde now rather than course and black. I can grow my chin hairs out to wax them without people staring at me like I'm a mutant now so that's a plus. I will never stop taking these pills and may eventually see if my doc will up the dosage again."

Nell (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 3, 2018

For Acne: "I had a great experience with Spironolactone until my pharmacy changed the pill. I’m not sure what brand I was on before but I know it had a minty coating and worked really well! I saw complete skin clearing within 3-4 months. Then the pill was changed and the bottle says “Accord Healthcare” and the acne has come back, almost worse than before. Really frustrating that different brands of the same drug will cause such drastic changes."

Anonymous October 2, 2018

For Acne: "First of all: yes it works! This medication was the best decision I ever made in my 10 years of battling acne. This journey began when I was only 9 years old. At my physical when 10 years old I was prescribed EpiDuo. Didn’t work for months. I saw a local dermo on a monthly basis for 4 yrs tried Adapalene, Tretinoin, you name it, last treatment we tried was minocycline Big mistake, big allergic reaction, big hospital bill. After that dermo will not help me because of the situation. I went on to other products spending $2000+, lactic acid, peels, scar removals etc. Then noticed my period was not normal which brought me to see an endo and gyno and am diagnosed with PCOS. I started with birth control which wasn’t for me. Then prescribed aldactone. With no hopes, as they said may help with acne but mainly for PCOS. My skin cleared up after two weeks. This was what I needed after my 10 year battle. If I could tel anyone, please try this if topicals don’t work. Best medication ever. No side effects for me."

Shanza September 22, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "This medication doesn't work very well on bringing my blood pressure and the mint coating gives me awful heartburn"

Janet Doe (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 19, 2018

For Hirsutism: "I have been taking spirinolactone for going on two years in March (2019). I can say that my chin hairs, though still dark, are not nearly as many and they are definitely not as course as they were. I’m kinda small so my doctor will not up my dosage from 50mg a day because I get dizzy really easily and I actually thank her for having the foresight to know that. At 37 years old I have had this condition a really long time so it would be foolish for me to think that it should go away in a short amount of time. I would say to those still waiting, give it time. Also, I was seeing a substantial amount of results until I starting getting my face waxed, then noticed my hair growing back and quickly. Then I was told this week by a waxer at European wax center that some of these wax shops (including them) use a growth serum after waxing (so that their customers will come back), she was sure that my previous waxers probably were using the serum on me (for a whole year!). Time to start doing my own waxing!"

Jesandme (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 16, 2018

For Hirsutism: "I have been taking spironolactone for 3 years to treat severe hirsutism. (dosage has been adjusted a few times, currently 100mg). My only side effect was occasional low sodium, which is easily remedied with diet or salt tablets. I shave my face daily, and even with a smooth shave my hair is so dark and coarse it is visible under the skin. Not only has spironolactone not helped, my hirsutism has continued to get worse. Also, my aldosterone (LCMS, serum) was 9.3 before starting spironolactone. It increased but stayed within normal range while taking 50mg/day. After taking 200mg/day for a few months, my aldosterone went up to 45.9."

Ann (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 24, 2018

For Edema: "Drug was initiated in combination with Furosemide while hospitalized for liver disease with ascites. Was told this was the gold standard treatment for this. Result was fluid shifts, electrolyte imbalance, impaired kidneys and severe muscle cramping. Nine months off this drug and the reduced kidney function and high potassium levels persist. For some people the potassium sparing does not stop when the drug is discontinued. There is no antidote for it."

BLW (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 12, 2018

For Hirsutism: "I'm on day 190ish of 100mg. I have been on it for more than a year but my doctor just reupped my dosage. I am on it for excessive facial hair (shave daily) blood pressure and acne. I have only had the lower blood pressure and less arm pit hair. I still have to shave daily or I have a 5 o'clock shadow. Going to doctor soon to hopefully find something better."

MaryofScot (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 3, 2018

For Acne: "This is the best medicine I've ever taken for acne and I've tried so many. It really helped make my skin less oily, so I have significantly fewer breakouts (even period-related breakouts have stopped). It is taken orally so you don't have to get medicine on your pillow and towels, it's the best. I haven't experienced any side effects."

rlcourtney (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 5, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "For those of you who have you spironolactone for years and now received a different brand, and it's not working, you are in the same boat with all spironolactone users regardless of diagnosis. Apparently the manufacturers of Par and Actavis decided to stop making this drug, and no one can figure out as to why. The manufacturer Cadista had stepped in and producing a brownish round pill that seems to do nothing for people who really need spironolactone for their health. Call the FDA, call your Physician, call your Pharmacist, and request that the spironolactone be manufactured by Par or Actavis which is a oval, white pill be reproduced so we can get back to being healthy again! Not to scare you, but Canada is also having some of the same shortages."

SsTexas June 27, 2018

For Acne: "I considered spironolactone a miracle for a couple years, then CVS started giving me a different brand generic. It does not work at all! I don't have the brand info from my previous pills. This new pill says "Accord Healthcare] on the label. It also has a vile odor."

Ljd (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 24, 2018

For Alopecia: "I had suffered from hair loss for 3 years. I now have been taking spirolactone 50mg per day for 2 weeks and my hair stopped shedding! I tried everything but nothing works like spironolatone. I feel free. I can wash my hair more than twice a month without feeling depressed at all the hair falling out. Also, zero side effects so far."

Jen (taken for less than 1 month) June 21, 2018

For Acne: "I've been on a low dose of 50 mg for 4 months now and Spiro works! You will purge badly at the beginning but you just have to get through it somehow because the results will be so worth it. If you're experiencing really bad side effects like headaches or stomach issues, try experimenting with different brands because unfortunately some brands will give you horrible side effects while others won't. I'm taking a generic with little/no side effects, the only thing I have is a dry, flakey scalp and ears."

Simone (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 16, 2018

For Acne: "I posted a comment about spirolactone here last Sept2017 at that time, there were almost no changes especially with my face being oily and facial acne looking exaggerated. Starting last February 2018, the dramatic change happened, exactly 8 months later. My face cleared up and the oiliness was gone. Now I get 1-2 very tiny pimples (very unnoticeable) before my period. I shifted from 100mg June-February to 50mg Feb-May2018. Good luck on your journey guys! I hope this helped. xoxo"

Julie_0722 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 22, 2018

Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ...

Symptom checker