User Reviews for Spironolactone

Also known as: Aldactone, CaroSpir

Learn more about Spironolactone.

Spironolactone Rating Summary

8.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 19 medications used in the treatment of Alopecia.

Reviews for Spironolactone to treat Alopecia

"I have hair loss because of high DHEAs and testosterone Girls out there spiro is the best! I was all about natural stuff and and using herbs to lower my testosterone and DHEAs but as soon as they were working a lil bit I'd have some stressful episodes happening during my days and cortisol would push from the other side to higher my dhea again.I tried for 1 whole year and realized that nope this doesn't work. I need to be relaxed with this issue, get my life together and not be distracted with this. So I started using Spiro (50mg/day) and damn girl it worked like crazy fast like from the first week of using it! My average hair lose is about 20 hairs a day now. Its better than ever! having plan to take it for a year. Also NO side effects at all. I wish this helps if u have doubts trying it! good luck ladies."

happybeauty (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Hairdresser kept noticing each time I went for a trim that my hair was getting thinner. That's when I decided to go & see my GP for a referral to dermatologist who put me onto minoxidil which did absolutely nothing except cause me inconvenience. So I went back to my GP & told them I wanted a referral to an endocrinologist who prescribed Spironolactone 200mg/daily. I have been taking 2 tablets daily since April 2016. I didn't see an immediate difference at first, but then one day I noticed new hair growth on my forehead. It was growing back grey! Then out of the blue for some unknown reason my hair started falling out again, especially whilst shampooing in the shower. It is a constant battle picking up loose hair off the bathroom floor"

In Good Health (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm a 56 year old female. I started experiencing hair loss about 2 years ago, due to Alopecia. When it go to the point that I was wearing either a wig or a hat every day to hide my hair loss I decided to go to the doctor. So 3 months ago the doctor, she put me on Spironolactone, 100mg once daily and also Rogaine 5%. I've done them both faithfully every day. To make a long story short, today I have a full head of hair. Just returned from the doctor and she was amazed at how fast it worked on me. I'm sold on it now!"

feel'in happy April 7, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been taking spironolactone for 6 months due to hair loss from PCOS. The first 4 months my hair continued to shed. There were many times I panicked and wanted to stop taking it, thinking it would just get worse (dose of 100 morning and night). I'm so happy I pushed through, I now have a lot of new hair growth and the shedding has stopped."

Pcoslady (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 30, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been using spironolactone for the past 6 month. I take a total of 75mg per day (1-25mg in the morning and 2-25mg in the evening). The first month or so, I did not see any changes. By the second / third month, my hair was shedding; however, I also started to see hair growing in areas that I had none. At the six month mark, the sprouts of hair I saw in the third/fourth month are approximately 1/2 inch long. Now, I do not see my scalp or that shiny scalp that you see on balding men. Periodically, I have experienced scalp soreness. Overall, I am very please with my hair growth."

Mudpie-Pearl August 20, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been taking 25 mg for 3 months due to the effects of PCOS. I have been suffering an initial shed that seems to be slowing down but at this point my hair looks quite a bit worse than before. Hopefully this will just take my body some time to get used to and it will help eventually. I have continued taking it because it has cleared up my cystic acne 100%. For acne I would give this a 10/10 but for hair I'm not sure..."

pcoslady August 10, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Due to medication, lost hair every time I brushed, every time I washed, seemingly every time I touched my head!! now due to spirolactone I no longer lose hair!! My plumbing is happy, too. My doctor suggested I take Biotin as well. I know it will take many months for me to see new growth, but that's okay. My skin looks great, too!!"

Everyone needs a dog July 23, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"As a female and years of taking an anti migraine pill caused massive hair loss, over time it started coming out by the handfuls, went to the dermatologist & he prescribed Spironolactone, I have low BP so 25mg at first, then 50mg. Not only after a few weeks my hairbrush didn't need a daily cleaning, my hair loss stopped completely & my re-growth is tremendous! I had lost about 1/3 of my hair, my parts were wide. Now I have my luscious locks back, and without breakage. No more tears!!!"

Riggs (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 18, 2015

"No impact"

DanielleRo May 15, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My hair started thinning and falling out. The dermatologist prescribed 100 mg of Spironolactone daily. I had problems with high potassium levels so my dosage was decreased to 50 mg daily for a month and now I am back on the 100 mg. I do not see any increased hair growth but it seems to have slowed down my hair loss. I have been on the medicine for 3 months."

Faye48 March 5, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Dermatologist prescribed this for hair loss. I've been on it for 3 months and I have dramatic hair regrowth! I am so thrilled with what's growing right now. Only side effect is I get dizzy if I stand up too quick. Other than that, I'm thrilled."

Cindy67147 February 16, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am 19 years old and have female androgenetic alopecia, at an alarmingly high stage at that. This had a HORRIBLE initial shed but it has stopped shedding and now I have less hair falling out. I don't see any regrowth though and am using minoxidil every other day so maybe if I used it regularly I'd be fine. Minoxidil is causing me to grow lots of facial hair though (5% concentration) and the spironolactone is supposed to fix hirsutism but the minoxidil is more dominating in the facial hair aspect... not giving up though because keeping hair on my head is more important than having a hairy face. I can just wax/thread facial hair."

SidQid (taken for less than 1 month) November 26, 2013

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been taking spironolactone 50mg for 6 months, my skin cleared up dramatically almost perfectly. It's not greasy anymore. My hair feels softer but is still coming out a little, although it does feel much healthier I don't see any amazing regrowth. I've decided to up the dose to 100mg because it doesn't hurt anymore. It was a real curve coming from 25 to 50. It hurt whenever I jumped right into 100mg when I first started. I don't pee that much either even now on 100mg, I think my body has a tolerance for it. Nothing hurts really but my stomach (not belly, but stomach right below the heart) that went away in time, the pain was more of a depleted feeling than a painful feeling. I had a little brain fog in the beginning, not anymore."

jubatron (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 22, 2013

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on this medication for 4 months no. I started noticing a dramatical change in my facial hair, it's all gone by 90%, for my hair loss I can say that I did see a big change but at least I'm not losing hair like I used to. It makes me urinate alot but its a normal thing. It all also helped me to lose weight. No side effect until now."

samiha February 3, 2012

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had been experiencing hair loss for about 2 years. I finally decided to do some research and found out about spironolactone. Spironolactone slows down the hair loss but does not help hair regrowth. I decided to try it out and went to a dermatologist to have this medicine prescribed to me. The doctors started me off with a 50mg once a day. But during my research I found out that the effective dosage would be 200 mg a day (divided). So, I decided to do 200 mg a day. I am happy to say that my hair loss has completely stopped after two weeks of taking this medicine at 200 mg a day. I am also using Rogaine 5% twice a day. My problem is that I can not find a dermatologist that will prescribe me a stronger dosage. "

chula03 March 24, 2011

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Aldactone (spironolactone): "It has help me to grow hair back on my head and assist in breast growth"

Anonymous January 14, 2011

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Have been taking generic spironolactone 100mg 2x day (morning and night) for acne and hormonal hairless (female pattern, testosterone related). It has greatly reduced hair loss And skin has been clearer also. Libido has been affected somewhat, not sure how much though. No significant side effects yet. Much better than birth control pills that I stuck with for years, as I knew hair loss would intensify when I stopped them and boy did they ever."

Shedder August 27, 2010