User Reviews for Spironolactone

Also known as: Aldactone, CaroSpir

Spironolactone Rating Summary

8.1/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 19 medications used in the treatment of Alopecia.

Reviews for Spironolactone to treat Alopecia

"My specialist has yet to diagnose me because I'm right on the line of TE and androgenic alopecia. Either way my hair started falling out rapidly and I was horrified. I was put on 25mg of spirolactone and then increased to 100mg. This has helped me DRAMATICALLY. I've been on spiro for 8 months and just began 100mg 2 months ago and I think its safe to say 90% of my hair is back! I felt the dizziness mentioned in reviews only for the first month or so when I was taking 25mg then I was fine. However, it has significantly lowered my sex drive but give a little take a little. I was becoming so upset and self conscious and now I feel like myself again. After chopping off 4 inches of dry brittle hair that ai started with I'm left with a thicker, healthier, bob. Very very happy."

Liza (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 30, 2018

"My dermatologist suggested I start this medication as I was seeing a lot of hair shedding. I'm taking 50mg a day. I've been taking it for 2 weeks and I cannot believe how much it's stopped the shedding. Where I lost a sizeable amount (80+) of hair a day, I'm only shedding ~30 hairs. The only side affect I've been having is slight heartburn. Looking forward to continuing to use this medicine!"

led (taken for less than 1 month) March 8, 2018

"I was put on this for HS. I was also diagnosed with Alopecia 10 years ago and have always had issues with thinning hair. Hair is curly and has volume so I never really did anything about it, it was easy to hide. I stopped the Spironolactone because it didn't help my HS, having no idea about its other benefits. Stressful times arose, hair suffered, started to see that bald shine and it was/is VERY noticeable. I researched, learned about spirono, called my derm and he put me back on, 75 mg a day. I kid you not people, my hair is showing regrowth already, few cm. Of course having alopecia a lot are the thin white hair that hopefully turn into thicker darker shafts but most are my natural color brown. Its only been 2 months. I also use cold pressed castor oil and onion juice one the weekends. Started Nov. 22nd and today is Feb. 6 2018. No side effects."

Ms Martian February 7, 2018

"I have excessive hair loss and it’s been like that for months maybe a year now. Anyway I first wanted to try natural stuff but it never stopped the hair loss. After months of hair loss I decided to ask my Doctor what medicine would reduce the hair loss caused by high testosterone and she gave me Spironolactone 50mg. I have been googling about it before she gave it to me for months and based on people experience and the comments here I was excited like finally something would stop it. I only took it for 5 days and OMG the hair shedding I had in every day was crazy clumps and clumps. I stopped it and the crazy shedding was still there for two weeks. Plus I hardly get acne and I got like 5 spots in each cheek. Obviously people are different but it didn’t work for me"

Jojo111111 December 12, 2017

"So I have been taking this medication for a little over a month for various reasons. I have very thin hair and recently got worse...and also my acne. I tend to break out here and there with small pimples in my chin but because I was stressing I got cystic acne. It got so bad I wanted a doctor as soon as possible. Within a week of taking the medication I noticed my skin clearing up...my cystic acne got smaller. However I am noticing that I have lost significant weight ...almost 8 pounds already. I am already thin so I didn't want to lose anymore. I also had chills one day and even puked when I was on this medication.. This only occurred once so I figure it was fine. SO far it been ok , for hair I haven't noticed much difference yet"

Ang1563 November 3, 2017

"As far as I'm concerned, Spironolactone is a miracle drug for female hair loss. It ABSOLUTELY regrows hair in addition to preventing further hair loss. I had a lot of hair loss around my crown from PCOS and after 6 months on spiro, my hair was growing back very thickly."

Sarah2200 August 29, 2017

"I have hair loss because of high DHEAs and testosterone Girls out there spiro is the best! I was all about natural stuff and and using herbs to lower my testosterone and DHEAs but as soon as they were working a lil bit I'd have some stressful episodes happening during my days and cortisol would push from the other side to higher my dhea again.I tried for 1 whole year and realized that nope this doesn't work. I need to be relaxed with this issue, get my life together and not be distracted with this. So I started using Spiro (50mg/day) and damn girl it worked like crazy fast like from the first week of using it! My average hair lose is about 20 hairs a day now. Its better than ever! having plan to take it for a year. Also NO side effects at all. I wish this helps if u have doubts trying it! good luck ladies."

happybeauty (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 6, 2017

"Hairdresser kept noticing each time I went for a trim that my hair was getting thinner. That's when I decided to go & see my GP for a referral to dermatologist who put me onto minoxidil which did absolutely nothing except cause me inconvenience. So I went back to my GP & told them I wanted a referral to an endocrinologist who prescribed Spironolactone 200mg/daily. I have been taking 2 tablets daily since April 2016. I didn't see an immediate difference at first, but then one day I noticed new hair growth on my forehead. It was growing back grey! Then out of the blue for some unknown reason my hair started falling out again, especially whilst shampooing in the shower. It is a constant battle picking up loose hair off the bathroom floor"

In Good Health (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 20, 2017

"I'm a 56 year old female. I started experiencing hair loss about 2 years ago, due to Alopecia. When it go to the point that I was wearing either a wig or a hat every day to hide my hair loss I decided to go to the doctor. So 3 months ago the doctor, she put me on Spironolactone, 100mg once daily and also Rogaine 5%. I've done them both faithfully every day. To make a long story short, today I have a full head of hair. Just returned from the doctor and she was amazed at how fast it worked on me. I'm sold on it now!"

feel'in happy April 7, 2016

"I've been taking spironolactone for 6 months due to hair loss from PCOS. The first 4 months my hair continued to shed. There were many times I panicked and wanted to stop taking it, thinking it would just get worse (dose of 100 morning and night). I'm so happy I pushed through, I now have a lot of new hair growth and the shedding has stopped."

Pcoslady (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 30, 2016

"I have been using spironolactone for the past 6 month. I take a total of 75mg per day (1-25mg in the morning and 2-25mg in the evening). The first month or so, I did not see any changes. By the second / third month, my hair was shedding; however, I also started to see hair growing in areas that I had none. At the six month mark, the sprouts of hair I saw in the third/fourth month are approximately 1/2 inch long. Now, I do not see my scalp or that shiny scalp that you see on balding men. Periodically, I have experienced scalp soreness. Overall, I am very please with my hair growth."

Mudpie-Pearl August 20, 2015

"I have been taking 25 mg for 3 months due to the effects of PCOS. I have been suffering an initial shed that seems to be slowing down but at this point my hair looks quite a bit worse than before. Hopefully this will just take my body some time to get used to and it will help eventually. I have continued taking it because it has cleared up my cystic acne 100%. For acne I would give this a 10/10 but for hair I'm not sure..."

pcoslady August 10, 2015

"Due to medication, lost hair every time I brushed, every time I washed, seemingly every time I touched my head!! now due to spirolactone I no longer lose hair!! My plumbing is happy, too. My doctor suggested I take Biotin as well. I know it will take many months for me to see new growth, but that's okay. My skin looks great, too!!"

Everyone needs a dog July 23, 2015

"As a female and years of taking an anti migraine pill caused massive hair loss, over time it started coming out by the handfuls, went to the dermatologist & he prescribed Spironolactone, I have low BP so 25mg at first, then 50mg. Not only after a few weeks my hairbrush didn't need a daily cleaning, my hair loss stopped completely & my re-growth is tremendous! I had lost about 1/3 of my hair, my parts were wide. Now I have my luscious locks back, and without breakage. No more tears!!!"

Riggs (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 18, 2015

"No impact"

DanielleRo May 15, 2015

"My hair started thinning and falling out. The dermatologist prescribed 100 mg of Spironolactone daily. I had problems with high potassium levels so my dosage was decreased to 50 mg daily for a month and now I am back on the 100 mg. I do not see any increased hair growth but it seems to have slowed down my hair loss. I have been on the medicine for 3 months."

Faye48 March 5, 2015

"Dermatologist prescribed this for hair loss. I've been on it for 3 months and I have dramatic hair regrowth! I am so thrilled with what's growing right now. Only side effect is I get dizzy if I stand up too quick. Other than that, I'm thrilled."

Cindy67147 February 16, 2015

"I am 19 years old and have female androgenetic alopecia, at an alarmingly high stage at that. This had a HORRIBLE initial shed but it has stopped shedding and now I have less hair falling out. I don't see any regrowth though and am using minoxidil every other day so maybe if I used it regularly I'd be fine. Minoxidil is causing me to grow lots of facial hair though (5% concentration) and the spironolactone is supposed to fix hirsutism but the minoxidil is more dominating in the facial hair aspect... not giving up though because keeping hair on my head is more important than having a hairy face. I can just wax/thread facial hair."

SidQid (taken for less than 1 month) November 26, 2013

"I've been taking spironolactone 50mg for 6 months, my skin cleared up dramatically almost perfectly. It's not greasy anymore. My hair feels softer but is still coming out a little, although it does feel much healthier I don't see any amazing regrowth. I've decided to up the dose to 100mg because it doesn't hurt anymore. It was a real curve coming from 25 to 50. It hurt whenever I jumped right into 100mg when I first started. I don't pee that much either even now on 100mg, I think my body has a tolerance for it. Nothing hurts really but my stomach (not belly, but stomach right below the heart) that went away in time, the pain was more of a depleted feeling than a painful feeling. I had a little brain fog in the beginning, not anymore."

jubatron (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 22, 2013

"I've been on this medication for 4 months no. I started noticing a dramatical change in my facial hair, it's all gone by 90%, for my hair loss I can say that I did see a big change but at least I'm not losing hair like I used to. It makes me urinate alot but its a normal thing. It all also helped me to lose weight. No side effect until now."

samiha February 3, 2012

"I had been experiencing hair loss for about 2 years. I finally decided to do some research and found out about spironolactone. Spironolactone slows down the hair loss but does not help hair regrowth. I decided to try it out and went to a dermatologist to have this medicine prescribed to me. The doctors started me off with a 50mg once a day. But during my research I found out that the effective dosage would be 200 mg a day (divided). So, I decided to do 200 mg a day. I am happy to say that my hair loss has completely stopped after two weeks of taking this medicine at 200 mg a day. I am also using Rogaine 5% twice a day. My problem is that I can not find a dermatologist that will prescribe me a stronger dosage. "

chula03 March 24, 2011

Aldactone (spironolactone): "It has help me to grow hair back on my head and assist in breast growth"

Anonymous January 14, 2011

"Have been taking generic spironolactone 100mg 2x day (morning and night) for acne and hormonal hairless (female pattern, testosterone related). It has greatly reduced hair loss And skin has been clearer also. Libido has been affected somewhat, not sure how much though. No significant side effects yet. Much better than birth control pills that I stuck with for years, as I knew hair loss would intensify when I stopped them and boy did they ever."

Shedder August 27, 2010