User Reviews for Spironolactone (Page 3)

Also known as: Aldactone

Learn more about Spironolactone.

Primary Hyperaldosteronism 5 reviews 1 medications

Heart Failure 2 reviews 117 medications

4.7
Summary of Spironolactone reviews 235 reviews 8.0

Reviews for Spironolactone

For Acne: "I started Spironolactone for Acne in April and started out taking 50mg a day and I will say for the first three months I thought it wasn't working (I was still getting a lot of cystic acne breakouts around my chin and mouth). But I figured I would give it some more time because my body may still be adjusting to the other medications I'm also using with it (derm also put me on orthotricyclen birth control to help with acne as well as Differin cream twice a week) I stuck it out and noticed a drastic change in the fourth month and I'm now on month 5 and have had no breakouts for a month straight! I also lost about 8 pounds since I started on the medicine! Which was a great bonus. I recommend sticking it out!! It takes time but it really works!"

Spirononomoreacne September 14, 2015

For Acne: "Like many of the women posting here, I have used almost every prescription and non-prescription acne treatment over the last 15 years. I was prescribed spironolactone, 50mg a day at the end of April 2015. The first 3 months were horrendous. My cheeks and sometimes forehead broke out so bad and the pimples lasted for weeks or months and left red scars. I was so depressed, I came on these sites for answers. I found hope when others stated that it took awhile to start working. I was noticing a decrease in amount of oil my skin produced. I can honestly say that as of today, 9/12/15, my skin is amazing. I have a few light red scars but other than that my skin feels amazing, no pimples, very little oil. I hope it stays this way!"

TheresaBiv September 12, 2015

For Acne: "I was 18 going on 19 when literally over two nights I broke out with horrible hormonal cystic painful acne covering my face. It was a nightmare. The doctors finally recommended spironolactone and I started on 50mg. Things started to get better but still bad. They then moved me up to 100mg. My face just about completely cleared up in about two and a half months with a few small breakouts during my cycle. It cleared my face but I experienced two side effects. One was extreme fatigue to the point where all I could think about was laying down and was exhausted every hour of the day. Even when I got a lot of sleep.Ssecond was I would get super dizzy when I stood up. I am extremely active, & work two jobs, and am a college student I can't stay on it"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 8, 2015

For Acne: "At the age of 45, my body decided it was time for perimenopause to enter our lives. The issues with it were a challenge alone. Then it was,determined I needed a complete hysterectomy due to a chance of ovarian cancer. So poof - all is,removed and things get worse! Hair falling out, gaining weight for no apparent reason, still hot hot and did i mention hot!?!? So I'm referred to an Endocrinologist who prescribes thr spirolactone. Honestly - my skin is much,better! I'm always looking to loose a little weight ,- but it seem nothing bad hhas happened. My face is greatly improved - but my back is still a work in progress. Overall - i fell its worth giving the Ole college try!"

Suzan Storm (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 8, 2015

For Acne: "I am 20 years old and have had acne since I was 14. It has progressively gotten better over the years but is definitely still present. Dermatologist have tried everything, except accutane which I was to worried about because of the various negative side effects. I was given spiro 100mg about 6 months ago and don't remember any terrible side effects. After 4 months I felt like giving up as I didn't notice a drastic improvement but my dermatologist told me to be patient. My skin is not 100% clear now after 6 months of being on 3 of the 50mg tabs. But it is so much better, I didn't actually realize it because I just go about my life now. I never get big swollen pimples now but will get little ones every now and then. Give it a try but remember BE PATIENT"

Happyalexa August 26, 2015

For Hirsutism: "I've been taking this drug for about a month now. I suffer from PCOS and get very dark coarse hair on my chin and neck. I have noticed a difference in the hair for sure. It is lighter and finer, which is great because I was getting tons of ingrowns. The only side effect I have had issues with is the fact that this is a diuretic, so I have to pee constantly."

Bella783 August 25, 2015

For Alopecia: "I have been using spironolactone for the past 6 month. I take a total of 75mg per day (1-25mg in the morning and 2-25mg in the evening). The first month or so, I did not see any changes. By the second / third month, my hair was shedding; however, I also started to see hair growing in areas that I had none. At the six month mark, the sprouts of hair I saw in the third/fourth month are approximately 1/2 inch long. Now, I do not see my scalp or that shiny scalp that you see on balding men. Periodically, I have experienced scalp soreness. Overall, I am very please with my hair growth."

Mudpie-Pearl August 20, 2015

For Hirsutism: "I was given this prescription originally for acne, but haven't seen much effect there yet... However, it has done wonders for my body hair! I had a super-thick (and spreading) happy trail on my stomach, as well as more sparse chest hair. I've only been on Spiro for about 3 weeks, but the results are incredible! The hair is almost invisible, so I'm thrilled to see what it looks like after all the pre-medication razor burn and ingrown hair cuts are healed. I'll still be buying a Tria laser to make sure I get rid of as much hair as possible, but the hair is already visibly thinner, and it takes much longer to grow back as well. I wore a v-neck for the first time with confidence yesterday! Also- I've had NO side effects from this drug!"

Dosage: 100mg per day (2x50mg) (taken for less than 1 month) August 16, 2015

For High Blood Pressure: "I am a female taking spiromolactone. This medicine is awesome for women. MEN SHOULD NOT TAKE THIS MEDICATION as it lowers their testosterone levels. I take it to regulate the androgen side effects of my testosterone shots. It is awesome for women and just as awful for men. Do your research men."

Kjs61 August 11, 2015

For Alopecia: "I have been taking 25 mg for 3 months due to the effects of PCOS. I have been suffering an initial shed that seems to be slowing down but at this point my hair looks quite a bit worse than before. Hopefully this will just take my body some time to get used to and it will help eventually. I have continued taking it because it has cleared up my cystic acne 100%. For acne I would give this a 10/10 but for hair I'm not sure..."

pcoslady August 10, 2015

For Acne: "I have hormonal acne and spironolactone with birth control have helped clear my face of all cystic acne."

Sylve (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 6, 2015

For Edema: "Had to take it for 7 years due to abdominal and lung edema from advanced cirrhosis of liver caused by HepC. It works but affected my heart which IS a listed long term side effect. My healthy heart now has a a "murmur". Not good. If to do not really need this or any other drug then don't take it."

EYoung (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 28, 2015

For Alopecia: "Due to medication, lost hair every time I brushed, every time I washed, seemingly every time I touched my head!! now due to spirolactone I no longer lose hair!! My plumbing is happy, too. My doctor suggested I take Biotin as well. I know it will take many months for me to see new growth, but that's okay. My skin looks great, too!!"

Everyone needs a dog July 23, 2015

For Hirsutism: "I started getting facial hair probably 10 yrs ago. I'm 36 now. I am so embarrassed and it's getting worse. I find myself not going out as much and avoiding as much eye contact as I can. My Dr prescribed spironolactone over a year ago and it has not helped. She has increased it & that hasn't helped either. My left side by my chin has a dark spot from me constantly plucking the black coarse hairs. I see friends and family looking at it and I'm so uncomfortable that I just want to go home and hide. I have had labs done multiple times to check my hormone levels and it all comes back just fine. I need suggestions on another medication to try and a very good concealer to help hide my problem area. I would appreciate any advice."

Lola29 July 23, 2015

For Acne: "I have been taking Spiro for about a month now and so far so good. I am noticing a bit of a break out right now but nothing crazy like my normal acne. The only side affects I am noticing is the muscle weakness and light headedness... I dropped a cookie sheet of calzones, using both hands. I literally couldn't pick it up. The muscle weakness comes and goes though so I can deal! Same with the lightheadedness. :) I am so happy! I have gone from having really bad cystic acne, to little tiny red bumps. I can deal with this, I am starting to feel beautiful again! I am only on 50mg at the moment, so we'll see how the next few months go."

ShayGrimm July 15, 2015

For Acne: "Months 3-5 were very difficult for me. I had been very optimistic after reading reviews and I wanted a quick fix after trying everything else. Sometimes my acne seemed even worse than before I started treatment. Thankfully, I didn't give up and it seemed like one day, over night, my face stopped producing acne!! I guess that it just took 6 months for my hormones to adjust to treatment & balance out. But my skin has never looked better in my whole life and I am so grateful and thankful for this medication and that I stuck with it! I don't wake up any more expecting to see a new cyst on my face, I can just live my life not worrying about my skin anymore! Took 6 months but it's the only thing that has worked &my skin is CLEAR for the 1st time!"

calcium11 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 8, 2015

For Acne: "I began having acne at age 20. Went to a ton of doctors was put on doxy for 6 months, lots of topicals, and accutane, and none of it worked. Five years later it turns out my testosterone levels were way too high and I have Polycystic ovarian syndrome. Gyno put me on 200mg a day. First month I was very nauseous and dizzy. I wanted to sleep all the time. It's been two months and the side effects are gone, but I'm still breaking out. Hopefully it works after a couple more months. I suggest any adult acne sufferer try this out before you spend years trying things that are not effective. My acne scars are awful and I need dermabrasion now."

afrosty (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 7, 2015

For Alopecia: "As a female and years of taking an anti migraine pill caused massive hair loss, over time it started coming out by the handfuls, went to the dermatologist & he prescribed Spironolactone, I have low BP so 25mg at first, then 50mg. Not only after a few weeks my hairbrush didn't need a daily cleaning, my hair loss stopped completely & my re-growth is tremendous! I had lost about 1/3 of my hair, my parts were wide. Now I have my luscious locks back, and without breakage. No more tears!!!"

Riggs (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 18, 2015

94 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Acne: "Throughout my life I've had acne and tried many different treatments. Some of them worked and some of them didn't. Spironolactone is one that definitely works. I was prescribed this medication in conjunction with doxycycline, clindamycin lotion and tretoin cream. My skin has cleared up so much, and I am so pleased. I have been taking all the medication for about 3 months and the spironolactone for the past 2 months. 50 mg every night. My dermatologist recently uped my dosage to 100mg every night because my skin still isn't 100%. This drug works great! I would definetly recommend taking this medication for acne. I'm so happy that my skin is clearing up and I do not have to be so self conscious over it. now to get rid of these darn scars !!!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 16, 2015

For Acne: "At age 50 spiro has been only thing to help persistent skin problems of a lifetime! Initially, brought on 2 week periods, but this ended by third month."

50 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 14, 2015

For High Blood Pressure: "I am a 63 year old male with severe hypertension. In my attempt to eliminate the number of prescriptions I was taking to bring the levels down to 'normal' , my doctor decided to prescribe spironolactone. The result was dramatic and it brought my BP down to normal. After a few months I began experiencing a pain in my breasts and after a few more months I noticed the pain and sensitivity increasing. My breasts were also increasing in size. I stopped this particular drug because I was concerned at the ever increasing pain, the increasing size of my breasts and no indication that either side effect would diminish. I am now on a quest to find an alternative to spironolactone without the disturbing side effects."

SequimGuy (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 13, 2015

For Acne: "I'm a 28 year old woman who switched from oral birth control to the Mirena IUD. That is the only change I can associate with a horrible bought of hormonal acne that started about 6 months after I made the switch. I had embarrassing, painful acne along my jawline down onto my neck. My skin was greasier than normal and products that would typically keep my breakouts at bay didn't touch the cysts on my jawline and neck. I've been taking 100mg of Sprio for about 6 weeks now and I've already seen great improvement. My skin isn't 100% yet but it's obviously improving and I assume it will get even better with time. I haven't experienced any side effects, no weight gain, dizziness, or breakout period."

eadickson June 11, 2015

For Acne: "Absolute life changer. I'm in my late 30's and have been on antibiotics for most of my life to treat moderate to severe acne. Besides Accutane, I found the most success with Bactrim, but recently became unable to tolerate it. It took four months for me to see results from Spironolactone, but what a relief to now not have my life revolve around trying unsuccessfully to manage breakouts and cysts anymore! I did experience lightheadedness in the beginning and still on occasion. Cut from 100mg to 50mg in the beginning to help the dizziness, and now back to 100mg. Very thankful I found this med."

Hooray! June 10, 2015

For Acne: "I went off birth control after about 10 years and my skin did not appreciate that! I dealt with the severe jawline/neck acne for a few months until it started affecting my life. I went back on birth control, so I did some research on this medicine and prepared to ask my derm for it; but as soon as he heard my story, he recommended 150 mg of sprironolacetone. I've been on for about 4 months and my skin is amazing. It took about this long to actually see dramatic results so don't get frustrated! Unfortunately I had some light superficial scars on my neck and jawline which was disappointing. I began using some cosmedix products that I read were successful in reducing acne scars and indeed they did!"

Erb29 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 8, 2015

For High Blood Pressure: "10 pound weight gain that I have not been able to lose. Excellent with lowering my blood pressure."

HeyHollyGirl (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 6, 2015