User Reviews for Spironolactone (Page 3)

Also known as: Aldactone, CaroSpir

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Spironolactone.

Primary Hyperaldosteronism

Heart Failure
5.2

Summary of Spironolactone reviews 8.0 332 reviews

Reviews for Spironolactone

For Acne: "I have been on Spironolactone 50 mg a day now since August 2016. After being blessed with clear skin the majority of my adult years, I suddenly was stricken with deep, painful acne, all over my checks, mouth and forehead. I originally tried doxy for three months with little to no success. Transitioning to Spiro was the best thing I ever did. Warning: It WILL get worse before it gets better!!! My skin was the worst it ever was the first two weeks starting it. But it slowly started clearing (noticable results within 2 months), and now after 6 months my skin is the best it's been in years! I take this in conjunction with clindamyacin (which I've been on for 10 years). Stick with it!!! It WILL get better!"

Woman in her mid-20s February 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Hirsutism: "Started Spiro 2 weeks ago. I am already noticing a high difference in facial hair growth. I was plucking over 200 hairs a night and not getting even half the hair. The side effect of stomach ache has had some serious moments, but I'm told it will pass soon. The embarrassment of the facial hair and scaring from ingrown hairs has stopped me from socializing and made me a house mouse. I'm thrilled to see results after only 2 weeks and I'm confident time will continue to improve the condition."

Housemouse. (taken for less than 1 month) January 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "female adult in 50's with ongoing acne for entire life. Hormonal acne, tired of having skin problems and to wear make up to cover scars and breakouts. Have been on this medication for 8 months, no side affects. 100mg per day. No new breakouts have occurred, but still waiting for previous breakouts to completely clear up. Scarring still obvious and not the beautiful skin that I thought was going to happen. My main goal was to be able to go make-up free....not yet. I guess the plus is no new breakouts happening. Will continue for a complete year to see final results."

2017face (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "I was give. Spironolactone by my gynocologist for adult acne. I took the medication for 2 months and it did help somewhat with my hormonal acne. The only side effect I expeirenced was break through bleeding, but it was so extreme I decided to stop using the medication. It was like I was on my period every two days. The bleeding was not just spotting, it was full blown menstral cycle bleeding. It was to the point that I had to wear coverage daily because I never knew when it would start or stop. I know two months doesn't seem like a long time but to me the acne I had was not worth going through that everyday."

Anonymous January 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Alopecia: "Hairdresser kept noticing each time I went for a trim that my hair was getting thinner. That's when I decided to go & see my GP for a referral to dermatologist who put me onto minoxidil which did absolutely nothing except cause me inconvenience. So I went back to my GP & told them I wanted a referral to an endocrinologist who prescribed Spironolactone 200mg/daily. I have been taking 2 tablets daily since April 2016. I didn't see an immediate difference at first, but then one day I noticed new hair growth on my forehead. It was growing back grey! Then out of the blue for some unknown reason my hair started falling out again, especially whilst shampooing in the shower. It is a constant battle picking up loose hair off the bathroom floor"

In Good Health (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Hirsutism: "I had a stroke after. Being on low-dose, birth-control for five years, Apri, at the age of 41, my docs, immediately, took me off all estrogen, and my b-c's, but, my face began to react violently, I never had teen-age, acne, but, this adult acne was the worst! Nothing worked, plus I had hair on my chin, and, upperlip, as well as a few strands in between my breast, needless to say it was extremely, embarrassing to meet people in that condition, I went to myderm, and,she looked at my thinning scalp, and, my warewolfish chin, and, immediately, prescribed 25 mg of spirio lactone, she said, that she couldn't promise anything, but together with 1% tretinoin, cream we could try, and a rx for .05% fluocinonide, we could try to regrow my lost hair."

Livvy121167 (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "For a few months Spiractin worked well in controlling my blood pressure, however their was a marked deterioration in my renal functions. If taking this drug, keep a very close eye on your Creatinine and eGFR blood readings."

B.C. - Aged 76 yrs (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Hirsutism: "18 y/o female. I was prescribed this medicine for high testosterone from PCOS. Effects were gradual over the first 6 months or so and have maintained through now, a year later. My body acne cleared up to being nearly non-existent. My body has softened up and become a little more feminine, breasts and butt rounded out and got a little softer (same weight as before I began.) Not much noticeable effect on facial and body hair, seems to grow a little slower and a bit thinner but nothing drastic. No side effects except possibly contributing to a dead sex drive. Definitely love this medicine and would (and do) suggest it to other women with these testosterone problems."

Lizzipoo88 (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "I have been taking spironolactone for a month now for my acne conglobata and it is as if I have been taking nothing at all. Some the symptoms I have had are depression, fatigue, drowsiness, hand and feet tingling and itchy, confusion, and just an out of it feeling in general."

Crystagail January 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "Taste, after receiving a bottle in a different state as I moved, just wanting to know if the medication suppose to taste like minty, even the bottle has a smell. Never had a smell or taste before and have been using spironolactone for over a year for a previous stroke"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 30, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "After turning 30, I started getting severe red painful cysts along my jawline, cheeks, and forehead. They would last forever, and would not go down with any topical treatments. I had my androgen levels checked and they were 3x the normal limit. Around this time, I was also having trouble maintaining my weight (5'4" around 120lb), my skin became really oily, and I felt fatigued all the time. I'm very active and eat very healthy so something was going on. I started Spironolactone 25mg - 2 tablets twice daily (three times daily around the time of my cycle), and it's as if I am a new person. The initial breakouts took about 3 months to completely go away, but now I have energy, no weight issues and no acne!"

RPhWD (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 28, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "I'm a 25 year old female and I suffered terrible acne for a long time, then it went away for a few years. Suddenly back in September 2016 I started to break out again in those painful cysts around my jawline, where I had never broke out before. Spiro helped me many years before so I started taking it again. First week 25 mg and then 50 mg. Had the notorious "Initial Breakout" but after that cleared up (took 2 months) I've been good ever since! It's nice not waking up each morning to find new painful cysts under my chin! Love it. It has caused some dizziness but I'll take that over a pimply, painful face any day. Be patient, this drug takes a while. Worth it though."

Maddie32 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 26, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Aldactone (spironolactone) for Heart Failure: "no more swollen feet and ankles"

ajaxs December 13, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "I usually suffer from cystic acne on my cheeks, RARELY on my chin or forehead. I never really considered my acne to be hormonal because in the summer I have clear skin, but when I go back to college I break out. I've been on the same BC for about 4 years btw. I went to my dermatologist and she prescribed me 25 mg daily of spiro. I stuck with it for 7 weeks, but here I am at 7 weeks looking WORSE than ever before!! I have break outs in places I never had before. I would rather have dealt with my mild cystic acne on my cheeks than this stuff. I know it works for a lot of people, but clearly not for everyone. This past week I've been severely depressed due to just how terrible my skin looks. I'm discontinuing the use of spiro."

acnesux0231 December 9, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "When I started taking a hormonal birth control pill my skin broke out worse than it ever had before. I tried antibiotics, switching birth control pills, but nothing worked. Then finally after about 7 or 8 months, my dermatologist prescribed me spironolactone (two 25 mg pills in the morning and one at night), and after a few months my skin was completely clear. I use prescription topical creams for my acne as well, but I can definitely say that spironolactone has made a world of difference for my skin. I don't ever want to stop taking it! The only minor side effects I noticed were increased thirst and slight dryness in my normally oily skin, but after taking it for about a month they went away!"

cass2238965 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 6, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "Worked like a champ, dropping me to very near normal bp. Have been tolerating near 150/95+ with other meds for a while. Other bp meds also gave me muscle cramps and graying out when doing high intensity exercise. I could also swear my heart rhythm is smoother on Spiro somehow, I'm sensitive to the way it moves, but of course that's very subjective. side effects... well, it will drop your Testosterone level which you may or may not find annoying. If you'd find a bit of gyno unacceptable, you may need to find something else."

rwwff (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 3, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "I took Spiro for a total of 6 months for moderate hormonal acne around the jawline. I started off taking 25mg for the first 6 weeks, and had a bad break out, than I increased to 50mg and had another bad breakout. My skin only got worse using this medication and scarred easily and I got acne in places that I never got before. Also in the beginning I felt very tired and in a brain fog but got used to it I guess, since I have been off the medication for only 5 days I feel so much more awake and without it. I was wondering why I was getting so forgetful, and now I realize it was the brain fog from the medication. Also made my skin very saggy and since being off it for only 5 days it has already improved. Only plus for me was I lost 3 poun"

Acnespiro November 30, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "21 yo female. I love it. I am on 75 mg and it has had the intended effects of reducing cystic acne and oil. The acne got a lot worse around 2 weeks, but the break out healed a lot faster than usual. It is now 4 weeks and the break out is almost completely healed and there are no new cysts! It has also had other welcome side effects of thicker hair on my scalp/less shedding, leg hair growing in really slow, pubic hair on my upper thighs and facial hair on chin growing a lot less and not coming back in after plucking. Only bad effects are headaches at first (drink water!) and spotting even though I'm on BC. I'm going to ask about doing 50 mg for longer before coming back up to see if I can get rid of the spotting. Besides spotting, 10/10!"

ZPorrrr (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 29, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "Spiro decreased some oil in my face, but also did the following: way more jaw/chin pimples, neck acne for the first time in my life, a sudden back breakout after having a 90% clear skin for 2 years [and lovely PIH I get to deal with now], dehydrated my face to the point of looking older, tiny weird whiteheads and cc's on my cheeks/forehead, and even more troubling, HAIR LOSS just 2 weeks in. I only took 50 mg/day, but by week 2 my brows, nose hairs and eyelashes began falling out. I've lost about 30 some hairs total in a week. I'm lucky I have thick lashes and brows, or else I'd look patchy. I weaned down to 25 and stopped today and voila...no shedding. It was Spiro's fault...moving on. :("

queenofheart8 November 27, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "Like a couple other users have mentioned, I started out on a small dose and this drug cleared my acne within two weeks. I am 43 and have been on this medication for 4 months, after 20+ years of failure to control my acne. I have tried everything. I had moderate acne with constant blemishes and cyclical nodular breakouts. I was also always red and so oily that my face would look wet. Now my skin looks like I've never had a pimple. I take 50 mg a day and recommend talking to your doctor about starting on a low dose like this. I have had zero side effects and am nothing short of thrilled with the results."

Starbelly (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 23, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "I've been taking 50 mg dose for about 2 months now. At first I noticed a huge diff but now it doesn't seem to be working at all. If I get a pimple it does go in about a day but they are still coming so far. I'm itchy all the time and dizzy. It doesn't bother me but that has gotten worse. Not sure what some women say on it taking their sex drive away. I'm totally abstinent and its increased mine to where its annoying. So I'm guessing it was something else with those others. I pee more but not aweful. I'll give it another 3 months to clear my skin before I use Accutane."

ann1221 November 22, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "Pay attention to the dose for researching those who have experienced negative side effects. Many (although not all) of those with those unfortunate experiences started out at high doses (100mg+) My experience has been nothing short of a MIRACLE. **Brief history* I have suffered horribly with acne since the age of 15. I am now 42. I have tried everything from toothpaste tricks to antibacterial drugs (Bactrim) to Proactive. Nothing worked. Not even Yaz. I was a mess. I would break out viciously with each cycle and have different stages of old & new acne. THIS STOPPED IT IN ONE WEEK. 25 mg, twice daily- ZERO SIDE EFFECTS. Do it at this dose & you might get the same results!!"

Adult Acne Survivor (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 20, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "My fellow PSOC victims- this stuff WORKS!! Having a hormone imbalance sucks but you have to fight hormonal acne at the source; creams and even antibiotics won't work because those aren't the cause of our acne. I read up on spironolactone and it's an androgen blocker - when women have too much of the male-specific hormones those hormones go to our neck, jaw, and cheeks because that's where men grow beards. Crazy huh? I'm 27, been battling with HA since 21ish. Tried everything, seriously.. been on 50mg/day for the first 3 weeks and am now on my 5th week of 100mg/day and I am happy to say I'm acne free- just those lovely scars now :/ but hey, one step at a time right? :) only side effect for me is peeing a lot."

Bell_Berry November 18, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "I'm 25, active, healthy eater, thin, no milk since starting. I usually have a break out every 10 days. Two terribly painful acne bumps or a regular red zit that I can't help but bother. I have been to the best derms in New York for YEARS. Pretty sure my acne was due to stress and hormones. All I know is that my gyno put me on 50mg of Spiro and my acne started changing. 3 months in I still was breaking out every 10-14 days, but they were smaller and less painful. THEN I got a little curious about taking more. After a chat with gyno I went from 50-75-100mg. It's been 5 months of no cystic acne. Yes I'll get a little blemish, but I will take it. It's not consuming my life. CAREFUL! Go up in doses slowly. Will make you dizzy/lower your BP"

Sofia Marina November 8, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "This drug, while perhaps effective at reducing systolic and diastolic blood pressure, creates serious adverse effects for its users. In my case (50-ish female; long-term borderline hypertension, gradually increasing), (1) I developed MALE pattern hair loss. My part was very visible and looked bright white, as there were no longer enough follicles to fill in the part. The small hairs at my hairline were gone. The number of hairs is important, all over the scalp, to create fullness. (2) Over time (6-9 months), I noticed a complete lack of sexual interest and a blunted response. Less you want to attribute this to my AGE (who tells that to a man??), I will report that both interest and response returned within 2 weeks of discontinuing."

NOLA9 (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 4, 2016