User Reviews for Spironolactone (Page 3)

Also known as: Aldactone

Learn more about Spironolactone.

Primary Hyperaldosteronism 5 reviews 1 medications

6.7
Heart Failure 3 reviews 118 medications

Summary of Spironolactone reviews 278 reviews 8.0

Reviews for Spironolactone

For Acne: "... Long story short, this medication did very little for my acne, and caused me to have high blood sugar. On the plus side, it did decreased the oil on my face, and made my period shorter and lighter, but overall it wasn't worth it for me to continue taking it. I experienced a mild case of what seemed like every side effect listed, this passed with time."

Anonymous June 10, 2016

For Acne: "I've been on this for 3 months and it worked really well at first. I used to get intense zits around my chin and upper lip, and they all but disappeared until a few weeks ago. I'm still fighting off that round of zits. My dermatologist upped my dosage and said that it's not uncommon to have this experience when starting out on spironalactone. Also, I'm not enjoying the side effects. I feel super dizzy right when I wake up in the morning, which makes it hard to exercise. I also pee like a pregnant lady and get around two periods a month now, neither of which are fun. It was totally worth it when my face cleared up. I'm not stopping the medication but I'm a little disenchanted at the moment. Do you all take it at the same time each day?"

Ggn (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 3, 2016

For Primary Hyperaldosteronism Diagnosis: "It worked so well on my blood pressure but I have been on my period every since I began the drug. My doctor refuses to take me off of it because my BP was 190/110 before even though I was maxed out on Diovan and potassium pills. Now with this drug my BP is 120/80. I can't take this constant bleeding. It's not spotting. It full on heavy bleeding now for 6 months. My Gyno tried to help by inserting an IUD but that only lessened the bleeding a bit. I don't know what to do."

Steph (45 year old female) (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 31, 2016

For Acne: "So I started taking 100 my since December. Took about 2-3 months to see a difference . HUGE improvement . Nothing else has come close to working like this has. But... CRAZY IRREGUALR PERIODS. I'm talking about going from a 40 day Clycle before starting spiro to having my period every 10 days. I don't know what to do. I've been weaning off & so far so good. I just don't want to break out like crazy but I also don't wanna put up with so many periods . I also went from good/normal to really low blood pressure."

andrea2014aam May 17, 2016

For Acne: "I have been taken this for 3 months. My acne started clearing almost immediately, with only one break out about a month and a half in. I am currently acne free and ready trying to even my skin tone that is dis colored from scaring. I didn't have any noticeable side affects. I wish one of the other doctors or dermatologist I have seen over the years would have tried this years ago!!!"

Upseeyore May 13, 2016

For High Blood Pressure: "I was taking Indapamide for 25 yrs to control my blood pressure until last year when I developed AdFib and my blood pressure rocketed. After struggling with various beta blocker , ACE inhibitors and an ARB I decided life was not worth living due to the side effects and went back to Indapamide only, where by after an initial large increase of my blood pressure this came down to reasonable level (138/95) but really that is not the best. My GP has recommended half a 25mg tablet each day together with my Indapamide and my blood pressure is now 125/74 so success. At present I have no undue side effect but only time will tell, so I am happy at this. Going back for blood test in two weeks."

098 (taken for less than 1 month) May 13, 2016

For Acne: "I have had years of severe bulbous ulcers under the skin and have tried many products, that have tamed the flare ups for a period of time. In older years Adult acne started to set in my doctor prescribed Spironolactone. The results are amazing I have minimal breakouts and no ulcers I have very happy to have been given an alternative oral medicine that works!"

Oges Ziggy (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 12, 2016

For Acne: "Please be careful on this drug. It is a diuretic and can cause your sodium to drop, especially if you drink a lot of water. I became increasingly lightheaded and dizzy. I was vomiting. I went to the ER and my sodium was 118. Normal is around 135-145. This is dangerously low. Under 115 and your brain can swell leading to seizure, herniation, and death. If you're having symptoms please stop taking the medicine and have your labs checked."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 7, 2016

For Acne: "I have been on spiro at 100mg for about seven months. First, the plus side is that I have had almost no side effects. I only experienced side effects when I temporarily increased my dosage to 150mg to control a bad outbreak. Even then, the side effects were just headaches and having to pee a lot. The down side is that it never fully cleared my acne. Where I started spiro, I would say I had moderate acne, which I've had since middle school (I'm 18 now). I now have mild-moderate acne, depending on the day. The last few months I haven't had a single completely clear day. Overall, I'm disappointed. This was supposed to be the thing that finally worked."

Malouy (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 1, 2016

For Acne: "I grew up with great skin until I was into my 20's. It started out small but got to be a much bigger issue as the years went on, turning into large and wide cysts that only came back as soon as they healed, on a 2 week endless cycle. Started seeing a derm and soon tried many things such as antibiotics and topical meds, which only worked for a few months before needing to switch the meds up again. This was a real low point and I realized how much this was affecting my life. Finally tried Spiro. I almost gave up on trying to find something that worked for me until about 4+ months in on taking 75mg 2x per day. Saved my life! I get a few breakouts and pimples, but very tolerable and nothing like I was experiencing."

C Bear (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 30, 2016

For Acne: "I was a sufferer real bad of adult acne on my back, chest and chin, and this was the only thing that worked for me. Unfortunately I suffered a drug reaction from it that left my lower extremities (rectal itch, etc) that kept me up all night....it was horrible and it took a few months for it to subside with a lower dosage and antihistamines. Lower dosage worked better but it did eventually did damage to my kidneys which is a risk side affect of taking this drug. So be aware if you have weak kidneys DO NOT take this drug!"

babyblue2 April 17, 2016

For Acne: "I have to say after all the other medicines I've tried I'm not sure why this was the last resort. This was the only medicine that worked for my cystic acne caused by my PCOS. I've tried birth control antibiotics topical treatments you name it. Nothing beside this has really worked for me I a on 100 mg once a day and this has been my savior. Although i found it took a good month to see oil reduction. Only con was irregular periods but after 5 months it straightened out."

Drinabambina April 13, 2016

For Alopecia: "I'm a 56 year old female. I started experiencing hair loss about 2 years ago, due to Alopecia. When it go to the point that I was wearing either a wig or a hat every day to hide my hair loss I decided to go to the doctor. So 3 months ago the doctor, she put me on Spironolactone, 100mg once daily and also Rogaine 5%. I've done them both faithfully every day. To make a long story short, today I have a full head of hair. Just returned from the doctor and she was amazed at how fast it worked on me. I'm sold on it now!"

feel'in happy April 7, 2016

83 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Acne: "I'm a 20 year old female. I've always had mild acne, usually in the forehead, temple and chin areas. It was something makeup could always cover. About 8 months ago, I went on Skyla IUD. My periods were irregular and I started getting hormonal cystic acne. I had at least two bumps on my face on any given day. About 2 months ago, I went to my dermatologist with the problem and he prescribed me spironolactone. I noticed a different after two weeks of the medicine. Two months later I am 100% free of cystic acne, and other acne as well! I only get 1-2 small pimples around my period. The only side effect I have is constant urination, which on top of my chronic UTIs, is a little bit of a hassle. Therefore, I take it at bedtime if I need a bathroom"

Skyla User (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 25, 2016

For Acne: "I am 29 and have suffered from acne most of my life. I would have random flare ups. Some months wouldn't be that bad and others would be the under the skin painful bumps only around my jawbone and chin area. The older I got the most frequently and worse my acne got. I went to a derm. and he immediately said it was hormonal acne. He put me on 50mgs twice a day. I have been on spiro. for about a year and it has done wonders for me. The only thing is it makes me incredibly thirsty, but I don't consider that a bad thing. I haven't had any side effects other than that."

Dakota Rochester March 23, 2016

For Acne: "I'm 32 and had the Mirena IUD inserted 4 months ago. I started experiencing relentless acne on one side of my jawline almost immediately which was unsightly and embarrassing. I googled if there was a correlation between the two and found endless websites stating there was. When I read that spironolactone helped many women, I called my OB/Gyn and asked her for a prescription which she had no problem with and sent my prescription to the pharmacist without an appointment. I've taken 25mg for only 6 days so far and have already noticed an impressive improvement without any side effects. So happy!"

Mirena/acne experiencer (taken for less than 1 month) March 21, 2016

For Acne: "I'm gonna' make this simple. I took spironolactone and lived happily ever after PERIOD. (God willing) OK fine, I'll elaborate. -Age: 35. -Chin acne sufferer. -Tried A-Z of meds/birth control pills. -Used Accutane as a teen. Worked until adulthood. -Taking spiro @ 25mg (half of one pill): No initial breakout. No spotting. No period issues. Instant clearing of skin and no joke. -Side effects: I pee a lot...so what? -Not on the bcp with it, just spiro by itself. FYI I took spiro a year ago before for 5 months @ 50mg a day with same great results but stopped because I had intense breast tenderness. Boohoo, I should have just lowered my dosage but I was stupid. -spiro worked for me but if it doesn't for you, don't give up."

Bookish March 8, 2016

For Acne: "Ladies if your derm won't give go to your Ob-Gyn. They will usually definitely give it to you for pms i.e. swelling, menstrual cramps etc..thats what i take it periodically for and it works 100%. Some will give it to you for acne. Either way get it how you can from you OB. Idk why but something told me to look the drug up for acne, because for some stupid reason at 39 acne is killing my pretty smooth chocolate skin complexion. Never ever had acne before. So I'm depressed and desperate. So glad I found this site. But ladies Ob -Gyn/ gynecologist will prescribe for reasons list above I guarantee it!!!!!"

Anonymous March 5, 2016

For Acne: "I was on every single acne medication even acutane which helped for awhile and then I still would get cystic acne around my period. My doctor told me it was all hormonal acne and put me on spironolactone and its the only thing that has ever helped me! I'm so happy!"

sarren1 (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 21, 2016

For Acne: "I've been taking this medication for bad hormonal acne on my chin for over two months now, and today I see major improvement. The only time I breakout now is when I miss a dose, or when I get a pimple or two around the time of my period. It's also helped me to maintain my weight as an added benefit. I take 100 mg a day along with Bactrim and Finacea foam. Ask your doctor for this combo, it works great!"

Allison333 February 14, 2016

For Acne: "I love spironolactone (I take 200mgs a day). I am 46 years old and started with cystic acne at 21 and tried everything: Roaccutane (hideous side effects - an evil drug), Dianette (severe nausea all the time), Retin A (great but burned my skin), oral antibiotics (caused severe and permanent hyperpigmentation). So as you can see spironolactone is a breeze compared to the others I've tried. I have gained a few pounds and have breakthrough spotting but I do not have a single spot (as long as I wash my make up off!). It's been about 4 years and I dread the day my GP tries to stop them (I am in UK)"

Jane Dew February 13, 2016

For Acne: "I am a 22 year old female who had painful, cystic, lumps that would form deep in the skin around my mouth and would get worse with my hormone cycle. I went on YAZ as it is the only birth control proven to help hormonal acne and the progesterone in it, drosperinone, acts very similar to spiro. This helped but then school got very stressful and the acne got worse. I went on 50 mg of spiro and it definitely helped cut down on the number and severity of acne. After being on the 50 mg for 4 months, I moved up to 100 mg and have had 0 acne since!!! Not exaggerating. YAZ completely cleared my 21 year old friend's hormonal acne up but mine did not clear until adding 100 mg of spiro, so try things out to see what will help!"

MerryZitmas (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 9, 2016

For Acne: "I've been on this medication for two weeks and now I'm experiencing cystic acne and a horrible horrible massive breakout on my face back chest shoulders and even neck! I have never had this bad of acne and I'm getting worried. My doctor told me that this medication would not do the whole worse before better thing so what's going on? Please if anyone knows anything please help."

RylieWill February 1, 2016

For Alopecia: "I've been taking spironolactone for 6 months due to hair loss from PCOS. The first 4 months my hair continued to shed. There were many times I panicked and wanted to stop taking it, thinking it would just get worse (dose of 100 morning and night). I'm so happy I pushed through, I now have a lot of new hair growth and the shedding has stopped."

Pcoslady (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 30, 2016

For Acne: "HAVE YOU FOUND THE REASON BEHIND YOUR ACNE?!??? Turning 28. Almost 5 months ago I got off the birth control pill. A few weeks after getting off the pill, my acne go terrible! I went to my dermatologist and he put me on 50mg of Spirolactone. It's been almost 3 months. My acne has gotten a little worse. But I have read it gets worse before it gets better. I was so fed up with my acne I went to my gyno to get my blood hormone tested. She came back saying I have high testosterone which is causing the acne! So after that result I went in for a vagina ultrasound and I was diagnosed with PCOS (Polycystic ovarien syndrome). Symptoms are hair loss, acne, unwanted facial hair, obesity/weight gain and high testosterone. GET TESTED FOR EVEYTHING!"

Rickel (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 16, 2016