User Reviews for Spironolactone (Page 3)

Also known as: Aldactone

Learn more about Spironolactone.

Primary Hyperaldosteronism 5 reviews 1 medications

Heart Failure 2 reviews 118 medications

4.7
Summary of Spironolactone reviews 248 reviews 7.9

Reviews for Spironolactone

For High Blood Pressure: "My wife took this medicine for two days only, just 9 days ago, and we're not sure she's going live another week. She stopped it after the 2nd dose because she got severe stomach pain and low back ache. The last 4 days she has barely had enough strength to get out of bed to use the bathroom. She has a difficult time breathing, is coughing way too much, has diarrhea, no appetite, headache, dry mouth. Her symptoms now look like congestive heart failure. No one should have to go through this with a drug that's supposed to help, not kill you."

Angry husband (taken for less than 1 month) December 28, 2015

For Hirsutism: "I've been on this drug for about 2 years and I really like it! Results vary for different people, but for me it's made the hair on my body grow in finer, lighter, and *much* slower. It's not a miracle pill for me (I still have hirsutism), but it's made me 1000x more comfortable in my body. I never had hirsutism on my face, so I don't have any comments about that... In any case, this drug takes a looong time to kick in (6 months for me), but I definitely recommend it!"

happywithspiro (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 22, 2015

For Acne: "I decided on Mirena as my birth control of choice and I thought I'd found my match after some bad side effect with Yaz. I loved having an IUD and for the most part I did not have any side effects... besides the ACNE. Insane breakouts that were debilitating. I thought this was behind me being 23, and as a sales woman it was embarrassing. I'd tried everything under the sun in my teens to no avail. My derm put me on spironolactone Sept 2015 and my skin experienced a miracle. My face is glowing, I still have some breakouts around my period, but besides that I am impressed. I've also lost weight (125lb to 116lb) which is amazing and I can even see hair growth on my thin spots. This drug is a miracle and I will preach it from the rooftops!!!!"

Elizabeth032492 December 10, 2015

For Acne: "I had moderate to severe acne starting around the age of 15/16, right around when I got my first period. By age 20 my skin still wasn't clear, even on Yaz. That medication did wonders for my endometriosis and cramps, but my skin didn't get better. I talked to my doctor about spiro and we agreed that it was a good plan. 100mg/day for the first month, then down to 50mg/day. The idea was to "shock my system" for a big clearing. That first month was TERRIBLE. I broke out like never before with massive cystic, painful zits. My self esteem was worse than ever. BUT, I stuck with it. Today I'm on my 6th month of spiro and I LOVE it. I sometimes get a zit here or there, but nothing like before-- mostly just blackheads. My skin is even and clear!"

emilykkkkkkkkk December 7, 2015

For Acne: "I am 28 years old and overnight it seems like acne just took over my life for the pass three months all I do is cry...went a derm and he prescribe me spiro 50mg and 50mg of antibiotics Just started on Dec 2 so I will update progress but no improvement so far"

Anonymous December 6, 2015

For Acne: "I've struggled with moderate acne since the age of 11 or 12, and I'm now 26. I've tried benzoyl peroxide solutions, salicylic acid, tretinoin cream, doxycycline oral antibiotic on numerous occasions, clindamycin cream, and the list goes on and on. Nothing ever worked, and I learned to live with acne - I learned how to cover it to the best of my abilities and to try to act like it didn't bother me. But honestly at any given point I had at least 8-10 pimples. By the time I turned 24, I had started with horrific large pimples on my chin and cheeks, and I pleaded with my dermatologist to start me on something different because I had just had enough. Spironolactone was the best thing to ever happen to my skin!!! I started at 50mg daily, then after 2 weeks it was increased to 100mg daily. I noticed within 4-6 weeks that my skin was clearing up and I no longer was getting new breakouts. I've been on it now for 10 months, and honestly I don't think I've even had one pimple in the past 2 or 3 months. This stuff is simply amazing. If you struggle with acne, I would recommend at least trying this. I never thought I would ever have clear skin, and I now have completely clear smooth skin. It's incredible. The only side effect I've had is fatigue, so I do take it at night before bedtime, and I wake up very well-rested. In addition, I pee a lot more often as is to be expected from a diuretic, so I drink tons of water to make up for it. Also as a side note, I've lost about 10 pounds since starting it which is also a plus :)."

Megan Jacobs December 6, 2015

For Acne: "I do not usually leave reviews but this stuff is seriously life changing. I never really had terrible acne in high school. I broke out right before my period in college but nothing too severe. I'm 24 now and in the Spring of this past year 2015, I started breaking out uncontrollably on my cheeks, which I had never even had acne with before. I also would get big ones on my head, temples, and still broke out with big pimples on my chin every month. I tried all of the natural things like tree oil and I tried changing my diet, taking anti biotics, every cream, lotion, face wash that you can get off the shelf and nothing worked. If you are desperate, this drug works. I have been on this medication since August 2015 and my face is 100% healed."

legomymego24 December 2, 2015

For Acne: "I am 22 years old and I have had clear skin my entire life. I was on the depo shot for a year and had my son then got back on the shot for two more years and decided with the irregular periods and weight gain, that I wanted to switch. I now have a paragard. For those of you who don't know, it's a 10 year IUD. I get regular periods and its hormone free. It amazing. But to get to my acne. I started getting acne about a year ago. It was mild at first but within a month it got so bad. My doctor didn't think it was hormonal, but after a year and 4 times on different antibiotics he decided to refer me to a dermatologist. They put me on 100 mg a day with adapalene gel. Its been three weeks and I'd say my acne is 50% gone. I'm so happy"

Shane'sgirl728 November 23, 2015

For Acne: "I've been breaking out since I was 13 years old. I did a round of accutane (which had horrible side effects) and it only worked temporarily. I've always had cystic acne, chest, back, It destroyed my confidence. I tried every product on the market and finally decided that I would grow out of it. I never grew out of it. I'm 28 years old now, and I decided that enough was enough. I went to my dermatologist who tested my hormone levels and decided that spironolactone could benefit me. I cleared up dramatically within the first month of taking it, and only experience the skin purge for a couple of weeks. Only side effect was twitching. It was determined spiro was depleting my vitamins, and with supplements I'm back to normal and my skin is CLEAR"

Kayleeann November 11, 2015

For Acne: "Spironolactone is amazing! I have never written a review in my life but I had to for this medication for acne because it really does work. I have been battling with acne for 10 years now. It just got worse in my 20's, I am 25 years old now. I couldn't understand why the older I was getting the worse it was becoming. I have been to dermatologist several times, antibiotics didn't work. I tried natural cures, didn't work. Through research I bumped into this medication and figured out is has to be hormonal. I ended up going to an Endocrinologist because the dermatologist did not want to prescribe it to me. It has been 9 months on 100mg and my face is 85% better. I am excited about what a year and two years difference it will make. try it !"

happy25 October 14, 2015

For Acne: "Spironolactone changed my life. I was 32 and had been battling cystic acne since 19, been through 3 dermatologists and every acne product on the market and had completely given up. I was at my annual gyno appointment when, out of the blue, she looked at me and asked me how I felt about my face. I immediately started to cry and told her how helpless and ugly I felt. Knowing that I was not interested in having kids, she put me on Spironolactone. It took a few months but once it kicked in, it was like someone had given me new skin. I am now 37, still taking 100mg of Spiro per day and my face has never looked better. It's soft and smooth and the redness is gone. It gave me my self esteem back. I only wish I could have found out about it sooner!"

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 1, 2015

For Acne: "So I've been on spiro for a week now. The side effect for me is I'm always thirsty and have dry lips. I am seriously drinking 2 liters of water daily. To early to see any results. I will share my result as time progress."

Prayfully this will work for!! September 25, 2015

For High Blood Pressure: "This medication brought my dangerous blood pressure levels down to normal or normal borderline but definitely not the triple digits from before. The side effect I am experiencing that bothers me is dizziness. I am going to try to drink more water to see if this helps. I also have noticed a lack of appetite."

Indianasoap September 14, 2015

For Acne: "I started Spironolactone for Acne in April and started out taking 50mg a day and I will say for the first three months I thought it wasn't working (I was still getting a lot of cystic acne breakouts around my chin and mouth). But I figured I would give it some more time because my body may still be adjusting to the other medications I'm also using with it (derm also put me on orthotricyclen birth control to help with acne as well as Differin cream twice a week) I stuck it out and noticed a drastic change in the fourth month and I'm now on month 5 and have had no breakouts for a month straight! I also lost about 8 pounds since I started on the medicine! Which was a great bonus. I recommend sticking it out!! It takes time but it really works!"

Spirononomoreacne September 14, 2015

For Acne: "Like many of the women posting here, I have used almost every prescription and non-prescription acne treatment over the last 15 years. I was prescribed spironolactone, 50mg a day at the end of April 2015. The first 3 months were horrendous. My cheeks and sometimes forehead broke out so bad and the pimples lasted for weeks or months and left red scars. I was so depressed, I came on these sites for answers. I found hope when others stated that it took awhile to start working. I was noticing a decrease in amount of oil my skin produced. I can honestly say that as of today, 9/12/15, my skin is amazing. I have a few light red scars but other than that my skin feels amazing, no pimples, very little oil. I hope it stays this way!"

TheresaBiv September 12, 2015

For Acne: "I was 18 going on 19 when literally over two nights I broke out with horrible hormonal cystic painful acne covering my face. It was a nightmare. The doctors finally recommended spironolactone and I started on 50mg. Things started to get better but still bad. They then moved me up to 100mg. My face just about completely cleared up in about two and a half months with a few small breakouts during my cycle. It cleared my face but I experienced two side effects. One was extreme fatigue to the point where all I could think about was laying down and was exhausted every hour of the day. Even when I got a lot of sleep.Ssecond was I would get super dizzy when I stood up. I am extremely active, & work two jobs, and am a college student I can't stay on it"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 8, 2015

For Acne: "At the age of 45, my body decided it was time for perimenopause to enter our lives. The issues with it were a challenge alone. Then it was,determined I needed a complete hysterectomy due to a chance of ovarian cancer. So poof - all is,removed and things get worse! Hair falling out, gaining weight for no apparent reason, still hot hot and did i mention hot!?!? So I'm referred to an Endocrinologist who prescribes thr spirolactone. Honestly - my skin is much,better! I'm always looking to loose a little weight ,- but it seem nothing bad hhas happened. My face is greatly improved - but my back is still a work in progress. Overall - i fell its worth giving the Ole college try!"

Suzan Storm (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 8, 2015

For Acne: "I am 20 years old and have had acne since I was 14. It has progressively gotten better over the years but is definitely still present. Dermatologist have tried everything, except accutane which I was to worried about because of the various negative side effects. I was given spiro 100mg about 6 months ago and don't remember any terrible side effects. After 4 months I felt like giving up as I didn't notice a drastic improvement but my dermatologist told me to be patient. My skin is not 100% clear now after 6 months of being on 3 of the 50mg tabs. But it is so much better, I didn't actually realize it because I just go about my life now. I never get big swollen pimples now but will get little ones every now and then. Give it a try but remember BE PATIENT"

Happyalexa August 26, 2015

For Hirsutism: "I've been taking this drug for about a month now. I suffer from PCOS and get very dark coarse hair on my chin and neck. I have noticed a difference in the hair for sure. It is lighter and finer, which is great because I was getting tons of ingrowns. The only side effect I have had issues with is the fact that this is a diuretic, so I have to pee constantly."

Bella783 August 25, 2015

For Alopecia: "I have been using spironolactone for the past 6 month. I take a total of 75mg per day (1-25mg in the morning and 2-25mg in the evening). The first month or so, I did not see any changes. By the second / third month, my hair was shedding; however, I also started to see hair growing in areas that I had none. At the six month mark, the sprouts of hair I saw in the third/fourth month are approximately 1/2 inch long. Now, I do not see my scalp or that shiny scalp that you see on balding men. Periodically, I have experienced scalp soreness. Overall, I am very please with my hair growth."

Mudpie-Pearl August 20, 2015

For Hirsutism: "I was given this prescription originally for acne, but haven't seen much effect there yet... However, it has done wonders for my body hair! I had a super-thick (and spreading) happy trail on my stomach, as well as more sparse chest hair. I've only been on Spiro for about 3 weeks, but the results are incredible! The hair is almost invisible, so I'm thrilled to see what it looks like after all the pre-medication razor burn and ingrown hair cuts are healed. I'll still be buying a Tria laser to make sure I get rid of as much hair as possible, but the hair is already visibly thinner, and it takes much longer to grow back as well. I wore a v-neck for the first time with confidence yesterday! Also- I've had NO side effects from this drug!"

Dosage: 100mg per day (2x50mg) (taken for less than 1 month) August 16, 2015

For High Blood Pressure: "I am a female taking spiromolactone. This medicine is awesome for women. MEN SHOULD NOT TAKE THIS MEDICATION as it lowers their testosterone levels. I take it to regulate the androgen side effects of my testosterone shots. It is awesome for women and just as awful for men. Do your research men."

Kjs61 August 11, 2015

For Alopecia: "I have been taking 25 mg for 3 months due to the effects of PCOS. I have been suffering an initial shed that seems to be slowing down but at this point my hair looks quite a bit worse than before. Hopefully this will just take my body some time to get used to and it will help eventually. I have continued taking it because it has cleared up my cystic acne 100%. For acne I would give this a 10/10 but for hair I'm not sure..."

pcoslady August 10, 2015

For Acne: "I have hormonal acne and spironolactone with birth control have helped clear my face of all cystic acne."

Sylve (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 6, 2015

For Edema: "Had to take it for 7 years due to abdominal and lung edema from advanced cirrhosis of liver caused by HepC. It works but affected my heart which IS a listed long term side effect. My healthy heart now has a a "murmur". Not good. If to do not really need this or any other drug then don't take it."

EYoung (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 28, 2015