User Reviews for Spironolactone

Also known as: Aldactone

Learn more about Spironolactone.

Spironolactone Rating Summary

7.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 12 medications used in the treatment of Hirsutism.

Reviews for Spironolactone to treat Hirsutism

"I just started taking this medication because I have excessive facial and body hair growth. I'm really hopefully after reading a lot of reviews on it. @lola29 anyone looking to help with the coverage of their dark patches on their face: rub orange/red concealer (laGirl has a great/cheap one) over your dark patches with a beauty blender or sponge. This will look strange and dark but it cancels out the dark patches in your skin. Then cover the orange concealer with a full coverage concealer or foundation (dermacol is amazing!) ... make sure to set it with a powder. Seriously learned this trick from drag queens and it makes me feel 100x more comfortable while dealing with this facial hair. I hope that helps someone!!!"

Ceeajones (taken for less than 1 month) June 13, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I'm a 31-year-old woman with PCOS, and I've dealt with acne and excessive facial hair growth for years. I've been on metformin for around 2 years now, which was supposed to help my PCOS symptoms (in addition to being borderline diabetic), but I never really saw any results until my doctor put me on spironolactone in January 2017. Since then I've been taking a very low dose, only 50mg once a day, but it has done wonders for the hair growth! Though I would advise others to wax your facial hair rather than shaving it. When the hair is removed from the follicles, the spiro stunts its regrowth. For me, if I wax it once a week, when it does regrow it comes back barely half as thick as it used to and it's nowhere near as noticeable."

H J Jones May 20, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Started Spiro 2 weeks ago. I am already noticing a high difference in facial hair growth. I was plucking over 200 hairs a night and not getting even half the hair. The side effect of stomach ache has had some serious moments, but I'm told it will pass soon. The embarrassment of the facial hair and scaring from ingrown hairs has stopped me from socializing and made me a house mouse. I'm thrilled to see results after only 2 weeks and I'm confident time will continue to improve the condition."

Housemouse. (taken for less than 1 month) January 27, 2017

32 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had a stroke after. Being on low-dose, birth-control for five years, Apri, at the age of 41, my docs, immediately, took me off all estrogen, and my b-c's, but, my face began to react violently, I never had teen-age, acne, but, this adult acne was the worst! Nothing worked, plus I had hair on my chin, and, upperlip, as well as a few strands in between my breast, needless to say it was extremely, embarrassing to meet people in that condition, I went to myderm, and,she looked at my thinning scalp, and, my warewolfish chin, and, immediately, prescribed 25 mg of spirio lactone, she said, that she couldn't promise anything, but together with 1% tretinoin, cream we could try, and a rx for .05% fluocinonide, we could try to regrow my lost hair."

Livvy121167 (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 19, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"18 y/o female. I was prescribed this medicine for high testosterone from PCOS. Effects were gradual over the first 6 months or so and have maintained through now, a year later. My body acne cleared up to being nearly non-existent. My body has softened up and become a little more feminine, breasts and butt rounded out and got a little softer (same weight as before I began.) Not much noticeable effect on facial and body hair, seems to grow a little slower and a bit thinner but nothing drastic. No side effects except possibly contributing to a dead sex drive. Definitely love this medicine and would (and do) suggest it to other women with these testosterone problems."

Lizzipoo88 (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 6, 2017

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been on spironolatone for full facial hair growth with thinning hair on my edges. I take 200 milligrams a day. One hundred in the morning and one in the evening. It did take about three months to work but it significantly reduced the facial hair. I used to shave everyday but now I barely pluck a few hairs on my chin. The excessive sideburns are complete gone and I know longer have to shave and my edges are no longer thinning. They're full and continue to grow. I don't have the excessive peeing but it does makes me a little drowsy. I lost overall body weight but the down size was most of it was muscle mass. I gained curvaceous hips and my breast grew a cup size or two. The only pill that has worked and I've tried everything. Be patient."

Kemoray41 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 22, 2016

54 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was prescribed this for both hair and acne on my face and chin, and it helped only very minimally. I was on it for several months at a 100mg, then upped to 200 mg dose per day. The hair did eventually start to lessen in re-growth, but the acne was just the same. The side effects, however, were completely not worth continuing. I little heartburn, and excess peeing, I can deal with, but I was getting my period every 12-14 days! Not just spotting, but the full deal!. Not thank you!! and that wasn't mentioned anywhere as a possible side effect, so... not thrilled."

ally k August 15, 2016

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Been on Spironolactone for a month 50 mg x 2 daily, for excess facial (chin) hair, with bonus acne clearing up I'm told. My results so far no improvement on hair. I'm trying not to give up but I have gained weight. My legs, mostly upper thighs, are getting bigger too quickly to be me just gaining a few pounds. I can deal with fuller breasts just not the rest of me. My dermatologist said she never heard of this and try and stick it out 3 months at least, but I see online others experienced weight gain too, shocked she dismissed so quickly. I'll do a couple more months to see if hair improvement. Plucking and shaving everyday gets old, just don't want to get any bigger in the meantime. So far, peeing yes, fuller yes, heartburn yes, hair yes."

TBred July 27, 2016

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been on this drug for about 2 years and I really like it! Results vary for different people, but for me it's made the hair on my body grow in finer, lighter, and *much* slower. It's not a miracle pill for me (I still have hirsutism), but it's made me 1000x more comfortable in my body. I never had hirsutism on my face, so I don't have any comments about that... In any case, this drug takes a looong time to kick in (6 months for me), but I definitely recommend it!"

happywithspiro (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 22, 2015

38 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been taking this drug for about a month now. I suffer from PCOS and get very dark coarse hair on my chin and neck. I have noticed a difference in the hair for sure. It is lighter and finer, which is great because I was getting tons of ingrowns. The only side effect I have had issues with is the fact that this is a diuretic, so I have to pee constantly."

Bella783 August 25, 2015

63 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was given this prescription originally for acne, but haven't seen much effect there yet... However, it has done wonders for my body hair! I had a super-thick (and spreading) happy trail on my stomach, as well as more sparse chest hair. I've only been on Spiro for about 3 weeks, but the results are incredible! The hair is almost invisible, so I'm thrilled to see what it looks like after all the pre-medication razor burn and ingrown hair cuts are healed. I'll still be buying a Tria laser to make sure I get rid of as much hair as possible, but the hair is already visibly thinner, and it takes much longer to grow back as well. I wore a v-neck for the first time with confidence yesterday! Also- I've had NO side effects from this drug!"

Dosage: 100mg per day (2x50mg) (taken for less than 1 month) August 16, 2015

68 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I started getting facial hair probably 10 yrs ago. I'm 36 now. I am so embarrassed and it's getting worse. I find myself not going out as much and avoiding as much eye contact as I can. My Dr prescribed spironolactone over a year ago and it has not helped. She has increased it & that hasn't helped either. My left side by my chin has a dark spot from me constantly plucking the black coarse hairs. I see friends and family looking at it and I'm so uncomfortable that I just want to go home and hide. I have had labs done multiple times to check my hormone levels and it all comes back just fine. I need suggestions on another medication to try and a very good concealer to help hide my problem area. I would appreciate any advice."

Lola29 July 23, 2015

68 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been on this for barely a week for excessive hair growth on my neck and face. Only side affect present so far is the drowsiness. Barely within an hour and I'm ready to sleep. Only problem is it makes me sleep for a quantity of 5 to 12 hours. Definitely a night time medication."

VicPar (taken for less than 1 month) February 18, 2015

42 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was prescribed Aldactone 100mg for facial hair. At first I had side effects of discomfort in my stomach however I persisted and it stopped. This medication works, it's slows down the hair growth however the side effects out way the results. Irregular periods, heavy bleeding, constipation, feet swelling, appetite and stomach pain, the list goes on. Even though I have reduced the dose from 100, to 75 and further to 50 I will be getting off this."

CarissaA December 21, 2014

35 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My GYN put me on spironolactone to try and clear up my acne and excess body hair. My acne has gotten a little better, and I no longer have hair on my chin. I still have some hair on my abdomen and thighs, but I've only been on spironolactone for six months. So far, I think it's great."

Anonymous November 18, 2012

140 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been using this medicine for about 1 month my doctor gave it to me for excessive facial hair. Since I have been taking it. I have noticed the hair grows slower and is lighter and not as course as before but be patient it takes a little while to see results and I believe it will get better with continued use. I did not experience ill side effects with it, in fact I also suffer from adult acne & have tried everything I could find to treat and nothing worked, but I have had no new breakouts after a month and I am just thrilled with the results I am getting. I would recommend it to anyone with facial hair problems!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 18, 2012

146 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have taken spironolactone for almost 3 years now and have been extremely pleased with it's effect on my hirsutism. I used to bleach my facial hair regularly and had dark hair on my arms. Now the fine hair on my face is blonde and hardly noticable and the arm hair is very light and thinner."

Anonymous September 26, 2008