User Reviews for Spironolactone to treat Hirsutism

Also known as: Aldactone, CaroSpir

Spironolactone has an average rating of 6.6 out of 10 from a total of 48 ratings for the treatment of Hirsutism. 54% of those users who reviewed Spironolactone reported a positive effect, while 27% reported a negative effect.

Spironolactone Rating Summary

6.6/10 average rating

Compare all 6 medications used in the treatment of Hirsutism.

Reviews for Spironolactone

D · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 13, 2021

“I’ve been on spironolactone for over two weeks now and I absolutely love it! My endocrinologist had put me on it due to my acne and unwanted hair that grew all over due to my PCOS. At 25mg two pills a day, It has been a total and 100% life saver! I actually have the greatest confidence level now and it also helps with high blood pressure! It runs in both of my parents sides and knowing this helps, it’s just an added bonus! I could not be happier with this selection! I know everyone is different and reacts differently to medicines, but this has been a total game changer for me. Especially being 30 years old! I don’t feel much dizziness or drowsiness, however diarrhea does come and go. But nonetheless, I’d recommend this to anyone who is experiencing horrible acne.”

Monika January 8, 2021

“I had taken spironolactone(100mg) for 6 months before 5 years ago for hirsutism. I got some positive result for hirsutism but didn’t get much of it's side effects. For a few months I have noticed that my facial hair growth again increased and I'm also experienced irregular period. So I again took it 15 days ago. But this time I am experiencing huge amount of side effects. Like, trouble in breathing, diarrhoea, bad mood swing, feeling uneasy to walk, abdominal pain, headache, vibration on the parts of the body! I knew that it was the only effective medication for hirsutism. But this time my body doesn’t adjust with it. So, I'm feeling so worried about it. Because this situation with excess facial hair is finishing me!! After all I'm agreeing that its really an effective medication for PCOS with hirsutism.”

Anne · Taken for 10 years or more November 16, 2020

“I've been on spironolactone for many, many years, 100mg. I find it doesn't work anymore at diminishing my facial hair.”

Anonymous September 26, 2008

“I have taken spironolactone for almost 3 years now and have been extremely pleased with it's effect on my hirsutism. I used to bleach my facial hair regularly and had dark hair on my arms. Now the fine hair on my face is blonde and hardly noticable and the arm hair is very light and thinner.”

Danielle · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 29, 2020

“I am 25, 5ft4 and weigh 15stone. I have PCOS and do the excess hair growth with all things combined has just been awful. My last resort was Spironolactone. The first week or so it definitely made me dizzy, especially when getting up etc. I’ve been on this tablet for 3 and a half months now and I can 100% see a difference. My once black facial hair is almost blonde now. I am on an 800cal diet and have lost 3 stone since starting this (was 17stone). I believe the weight loss and the medication is helping this. I am really happy to be honest.”

Sarah · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 22, 2019

“I’ve been using spirolatone for nearly a year now for facial hair. I started out at 25 mg, I increased to 50 mg and noticed the darkness going away. Increased to 100 mg and the coarseness has gone away. Now I’m taking 200 mg and it’s AMAZING! I’ve gone through Electrolosis, laser, plucking and now waxing. I was waxing every week, now I can go 2 weeks. Even the hair on my arm are lighter. I told my doctor it’s a miracle medication. I recommend everyone to try...”

Housemouse. · Taken for less than 1 month January 27, 2017

“Started Spiro 2 weeks ago. I am already noticing a high difference in facial hair growth. I was plucking over 200 hairs a night and not getting even half the hair. The side effect of stomach ache has had some serious moments, but I'm told it will pass soon. The embarrassment of the facial hair and scaring from ingrown hairs has stopped me from socializing and made me a house mouse. I'm thrilled to see results after only 2 weeks and I'm confident time will continue to improve the condition.”

Anonymous November 18, 2012

“My GYN put me on spironolactone to try and clear up my acne and excess body hair. My acne has gotten a little better, and I no longer have hair on my chin. I still have some hair on my abdomen and thighs, but I've only been on spironolactone for six months. So far, I think it's great.”

Cara · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 30, 2020

“I've been on 100mg for about 3 months now. I haven't had any negative side effects. I rarely get that fuzzy feeling, like when you have low blood sugar; only if I'm dehydrated or get up fast. I already drank a lot of water, so haven't noticed a change in my water intake or need to use the bathroom. Buuuuut I also haven't seen any benefits yet! My body hair is the same, facial hair is the same, skin the same. Not sure if I'm going to go on 200mg or go off of it. I'll update at a later date with anything new.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 18, 2012

“I have been using this medicine for about 1 month my doctor gave it to me for excessive facial hair. Since I have been taking it. I have noticed the hair grows slower and is lighter and not as course as before but be patient it takes a little while to see results and I believe it will get better with continued use. I did not experience ill side effects with it, in fact I also suffer from adult acne & have tried everything I could find to treat and nothing worked, but I have had no new breakouts after a month and I am just thrilled with the results I am getting. I would recommend it to anyone with facial hair problems!”

Matador78 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 19, 2019

“I started taking spirolactone about 10 months ago for PCOS, hirsutism, and to lower my free testosterone, it was at 11. Starting dosage 25mg twice daily for 4 months = free testosterone lower to 8.5. Doctor increase dosage to 50mg twice daily for 6 months = Free testosterone is at 7.9, slightly less facial hair, facial skin is clear and smooth (previously had orange peel skin), slightly less oily skin too, no weight gain. Doctor has increase dosage to 100mg twice a day to continue to lower free testosterone and hopefully be less hairy. Will post update in 6 months.”

Kemoray41 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 22, 2016

“I've been on spironolatone for full facial hair growth with thinning hair on my edges. I take 200 milligrams a day. One hundred in the morning and one in the evening. It did take about three months to work but it significantly reduced the facial hair. I used to shave everyday but now I barely pluck a few hairs on my chin. The excessive sideburns are complete gone and I know longer have to shave and my edges are no longer thinning. They're full and continue to grow. I don't have the excessive peeing but it does makes me a little drowsy. I lost overall body weight but the down size was most of it was muscle mass. I gained curvaceous hips and my breast grew a cup size or two. The only pill that has worked and I've tried everything. Be patient.”

Jenevieve · Taken for less than 1 month July 30, 2019

“So its been one week and I suffer with PCOS. Specifically the symptom I hate the most is the excess facial hair growth. I can say when I was in my doctor’s office one week ago I had a full lady beard. And usually if I pluck it, it will grow full one week later. So its been one week on Spironolactone later and I had nothing but little stubbles here and there. I can’t believe no one told me about this medicine before for facial hair. I’m actually impressed.”

Lola29 July 23, 2015

“I started getting facial hair probably 10 yrs ago. I'm 36 now. I am so embarrassed and it's getting worse. I find myself not going out as much and avoiding as much eye contact as I can. My Dr prescribed spironolactone over a year ago and it has not helped. She has increased it & that hasn't helped either. My left side by my chin has a dark spot from me constantly plucking the black coarse hairs. I see friends and family looking at it and I'm so uncomfortable that I just want to go home and hide. I have had labs done multiple times to check my hormone levels and it all comes back just fine. I need suggestions on another medication to try and a very good concealer to help hide my problem area. I would appreciate any advice.”

Dosage: 100mg per day (2x50mg) · Taken for less than 1 month August 16, 2015

“I was given this prescription originally for acne, but haven't seen much effect there yet... However, it has done wonders for my body hair! I had a super-thick (and spreading) happy trail on my stomach, as well as more sparse chest hair. I've only been on Spiro for about 3 weeks, but the results are incredible! The hair is almost invisible, so I'm thrilled to see what it looks like after all the pre-medication razor burn and ingrown hair cuts are healed. I'll still be buying a Tria laser to make sure I get rid of as much hair as possible, but the hair is already visibly thinner, and it takes much longer to grow back as well. I wore a v-neck for the first time with confidence yesterday! Also- I've had NO side effects from this drug!”

Ceeajones · Taken for less than 1 month June 13, 2017

“I just started taking this medication because I have excessive facial and body hair growth. I'm really hopefully after reading a lot of reviews on it. @lola29 anyone looking to help with the coverage of their dark patches on their face: rub orange/red concealer (laGirl has a great/cheap one) over your dark patches with a beauty blender or sponge. This will look strange and dark but it cancels out the dark patches in your skin. Then cover the orange concealer with a full coverage concealer or foundation (dermacol is amazing!) ... make sure to set it with a powder. Seriously learned this trick from drag queens and it makes me feel 100x more comfortable while dealing with this facial hair. I hope that helps someone!!!”

Bella783 August 25, 2015

“I've been taking this drug for about a month now. I suffer from PCOS and get very dark coarse hair on my chin and neck. I have noticed a difference in the hair for sure. It is lighter and finer, which is great because I was getting tons of ingrowns. The only side effect I have had issues with is the fact that this is a diuretic, so I have to pee constantly.”

Cam October 5, 2020

“I have PCOS and have suffered from coarse facial and body hair for years. I recently started noticing male-pattern baldness around my temples and knew this was a hormonal problem, as I was tested for high testosterone. I started noticing results within days of taking the spironolactone, way sooner than I thought I would. Within a week I was only having to shave my face every other day rather rather than every day, then every three days. My hairline has stopped receding and is slowly growing back. It's only been three weeks and I'm already so happy with the results. I have only had minor side effects. The only one that bothers me at all is breast tenderness. I had some hot flashes the first week but they went away quickly. Sometimes I'm a little nauseous or headachy, but only if I don't drink enough water. Since this is a diuretic, you need to stay on top of your water consumption and try to drink as much as you can every day.”

Nicki February 10, 2020

“I started Spironolactone 3 weeks ago at 100 mg. These past weeks I have experienced nausea, tiredness, headaches, and dizziness. 2 days ago I actually fainted and fractured my jaw by smashing it on a counter I fell on when fainting. I am now undergoing surgery for my jaw and having teeth removed. I have never experienced this before. My blood pressure has gone from 120/85 to 85/55 in the past 2 days. Spironolactone has caused me new medical conditions.”

Nell · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 3, 2018

“I started to get hairs on my face and kneck when I turned 24 years old. After that it just got worse to the point of having a full beard. Very embarrassing. I did lazer hair removal which didn't help since they didn't know what was causing the growth. I have been taking 100mg of spirolactane twice a day now for around a year. There are less hairs my leg armpit hairs etc. Grow at a normal rate now. I still have a fair amount of unwanted hair but it is fine and blonde now rather than course and black. I can grow my chin hairs out to wax them without people staring at me like I'm a mutant now so that's a plus. I will never stop taking these pills and may eventually see if my doc will up the dosage again.”

H J Jones May 20, 2017

“I'm a 31-year-old woman with PCOS, and I've dealt with acne and excessive facial hair growth for years. I've been on metformin for around 2 years now, which was supposed to help my PCOS symptoms (in addition to being borderline diabetic), but I never really saw any results until my doctor put me on spironolactone in January 2017. Since then I've been taking a very low dose, only 50mg once a day, but it has done wonders for the hair growth! Though I would advise others to wax your facial hair rather than shaving it. When the hair is removed from the follicles, the spiro stunts its regrowth. For me, if I wax it once a week, when it does regrow it comes back barely half as thick as it used to and it's nowhere near as noticeable.”

Spe · Taken for less than 1 month February 26, 2018

Aldactone (spironolactone): “I was diagnosed with 2 years ago with polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS)and was prescribed aldactone 50mg and metformin 500mg two times a day. Was never regular in taking the medicine. Skipped it for months in a row. Problem started 5-6 months back when my body hair, side burns, upper lip and chin hair started increasing. Last month I plucked out almost 80 really thick hair out of my chin and I had a stupid five o clock shadow on my upper lip after shaving. I was desperate and started taking the meds properly. Trust me people it's not even a month and the thickness of unwanted hair became half and grows really slow. All you have to do is have faith and never miss a tablet. It really can do wonders in your life.”

Liberated! November 14, 2017

“I have never written a review before but since I find reviews so helpful I figured I owed it to the universe to give back. I started taking 25mg of Spironolactone twice a day for about two months for both excessive hair growth on my face AND for some hormonal acne. I have been taking it in conjunction with laser hair removal and let me say it has been LIFE CHANGING. I am not longer scared for someone to stand under me or to have my bf touch my face. I have been liberated from the chin hair dictator and I am so thankful. Also, I have noticed a sizable improvement in my skin. My derm suggests I up a dose to get full improvement in my skin and I am not taking 50mg twice a day. I have had no noticeable side effects! Highly recommend it”

Candychan · Taken for less than 1 month April 3, 2020

“Awful. Just awful for me. I have a mental illness called borderline personality disorder which causes me to have extremely poor mood regulation and intense bouts of anger to the point of boiling rage. The spironolactone exacerbated this tenfold until I was blowing up at people every single day over the dumbest little things. It got to the point where I almost had to go back inpatient for my mental problems. It was absolute nightmare for the couple weeks that I took it, and if you have any mental health diagnoses, I would urge you to think twice about spirolactone, or at least monitor yourself and your moods verrrry carefully. Depression also got a little worse. Oh, and I guess only two weeks of taking it isn’t long enough to tell if it worked for hirsutism and my hormonal acne, but so far, it didn’t do much.”

Cleopatty · Taken for less than 1 month May 2, 2018

“I could pluck hairs, go to bed, wake up in the morning and have new hairs. The hairs were very thick and coarse. This causes dark spots on my jawline. I was ashamed to look people in the face. I went to multiple doctors through the years. I have been using Spirolactone less than a week with noticeable improvement. I keep looking in the mirror and trying to find hair. My skin softer and smoother. I can't believe I suffered for 30 years and seeing results so fast. I was afraid to take at first because I take Dilatizem and Benicar. No problem so far. Blood pressure running about the same.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month July 3, 2017

“I started taking 50mg spironolactone once a day for moderate hirsutism on my chin (up to like 30 terminal hairs), and other areas on my body, as well as moderate acne (constant breakouts). During the first 2 weeks I had crappy breakouts, and then like clock work, immediately after the 2 week mark, my skin started to clear up. I got electrolysis done and after just one visit, the hairs were no longer terminal on my chin, and most of them didn't even grow back at all (so basically the few that did grow back were like peach fuzz, which is the normal and unnoticeable hairs we have all over the body).”

happywithspiro · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 22, 2015

“I've been on this drug for about 2 years and I really like it! Results vary for different people, but for me it's made the hair on my body grow in finer, lighter, and *much* slower. It's not a miracle pill for me (I still have hirsutism), but it's made me 1000x more comfortable in my body. I never had hirsutism on my face, so I don't have any comments about that... In any case, this drug takes a looong time to kick in (6 months for me), but I definitely recommend it!”

MissLeopard83 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 4, 2019

“I was diagnosed with Polycystic Ovaries at age 19 in 2003. My doctor started me on spironolactone for the hirsutism on my sideburns, chin, lip, and belly area. I took the medication for several months and never noticed a decrease in the hair growth or the hair growth becoming lighter. Apparently, it doesn't work for all patients with PCOS.”

Learn more about Hirsutism