User Reviews for Spironolactone

Also known as: Aldactone, CaroSpir

Spironolactone Rating Summary

8.1/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 7 medications used in the treatment of Hirsutism.

Reviews for Spironolactone to treat Hirsutism

"I could pluck hairs, go to bed, wake up in the morning and have new hairs. The hairs were very thick and coarse. This causes dark spots on my jawline. I was ashamed to look people in the face. I went to multiple doctors through the years. I have been using Spirolactone less than a week with noticeable improvement. I keep looking in the mirror and trying to find hair. My skin softer and smoother. I can't believe I suffered for 30 years and seeing results so fast. I was afraid to take at first because I take Dilatizem and Benicar. No problem so far. Blood pressure running about the same."

Cleopatty (taken for less than 1 month) May 2, 2018

"I have PCOS and take this medicine for face/body acne and hirsutism. I have hair on my face, chest, and stomach. I have been on 50 mg/day of spiro for almost three years and it has helped a lot. My acne is reduced and so is my face and body hair, and I don't have any side effects. It also makes me less prone to bloating. I did recently go up to 100 mg/day because although there has been a big improvement, I do still have a bit of body and facial hair and I do still get a bit of acne. I'm trying to see how much an increase in dose would help. I definitely suggest this medicine, I love it. Just make sure your doctor checks your electrolyte levels periodically while you are on it."

penguin88 (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 12, 2018

Aldactone (spironolactone): "I was diagnosed with 2 years ago with polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS)and was prescribed aldactone 50mg and metformin 500mg two times a day. Was never regular in taking the medicine. Skipped it for months in a row. Problem started 5-6 months back when my body hair, side burns, upper lip and chin hair started increasing. Last month I plucked out almost 80 really thick hair out of my chin and I had a stupid five o clock shadow on my upper lip after shaving. I was desperate and started taking the meds properly. Trust me people it's not even a month and the thickness of unwanted hair became half and grows really slow. All you have to do is have faith and never miss a tablet. It really can do wonders in your life."

Spe (taken for less than 1 month) February 26, 2018

"57. Spiro for 2 months. PCOS. Bleached hair from 11-17. Shaved from 2017 until now. Black & white course on all body parts including toes, fingers, beard, breast, upper thigh, pubic extreme, arms, eyebrows, back, buttocks, abdomen. On Metformin for years for mild diabetes. 80 extra pounds but not until last 20 years but still hairy. Post menopausal. No high blood tests probably due to menopause per Dr. 50 mg 2x day. Side effects 1 mo, nausea, headaches, tired. Gained 7 lbs in 2 mos. Pores on nose smaller. Drier skin and hair. No reduction in acne or hair. Hair on face so course it is painful to rub it. Feel like a man. Has stopped me from ever dating again due to not wanting to shave everything anymore. Depressed (was before). Asking to up dosage."

Mimimama78 February 11, 2018

"I've been under Spiro 100mg daily for 5 months for secondary hirsutism (I have congenital adrenal hyperplasia). I'm taking it combined with birth control and dexamethasone.... I can say that at the beginning the only thing I could notice was lightheaded, stomach ache and peeing a lot! My stomach was acting up for 2 months, took a while until a figure out how to effective get rid of the lightheaded sensation and my body "adapts" to the pee issue... I tried to change medication time and now at morning doses works out ok. It took 3 months until I notice my unwanted hair geting "thinner" and slowing growing. I still hairy af but I saw some improvements. Going into my 6 month taking spiro and now the pharmacy has changed the brand. I feel it less effective"

Miss Chaves December 28, 2017

"I’m a 27 year old African American woman and I’ve been taking Spiro (100 mg) for hirtusim off and on for 4 years. I’d go off of it because it caused a significant amount of weight loss. I was already slim to begin with so weight loss was not something I could tolerate. But when the excessive hair growth came back about 6 months later I stayed on for another year. Fast forward to 4 years later weight loss is no longer an issue but I feel like the hair on top of my head is a lot thinner than it was before. Starting in January I’m thinking about taking Spiro in conjunction with Hairfinity. I’ll provide an update at the end of March! Wish me luck ladies"

SthrnBelleBritt December 27, 2017

"Hey so I am 25 hirsuitism sufferer, also have quite ‘male’ oily skin.My hair is a little on my jawline, chest, abdomen. No hormonal imbalances- been thoroughly tested. I first tried spiro a couple years ago and my doc put me on 50mg first then, as I was noticing change but couldn’t afford to get laser we upped to 100mg- this was for about 3-4 months. I started noticing that I was getting quite prominent leg veins. Stopped altogether (gradually ofc). Then.. found dianette- this works for me much more than Yasmin. Plus great boob growth. Figured after a while I would go back on Spironolactone with a 25mg dosage to boost effect. I also got a deal for laser because of my hirsuitism (just ask). Don’t get IPL- it burns skin- only go professional x"

Spirodianette (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 17, 2017

"I have never written a review before but since I find reviews so helpful I figured I owed it to the universe to give back. I started taking 25mg of Spironolactone twice a day for about two months for both excessive hair growth on my face AND for some hormonal acne. I have been taking it in conjunction with laser hair removal and let me say it has been LIFE CHANGING. I am not longer scared for someone to stand under me or to have my bf touch my face. I have been liberated from the chin hair dictator and I am so thankful. Also, I have noticed a sizable improvement in my skin. My derm suggests I up a dose to get full improvement in my skin and I am not taking 50mg twice a day. I have had no noticeable side effects! Highly recommend it"

Liberated! November 14, 2017

"Been on this drug only for a week and I have noticed a decrease in facial hair. Started in conjunction with Ortho Cyclen though. Have had the following side effects —very very tired, heartburn, nausea, lack of appetite, vivid dreams, and peeing A LOT I only take 25mg once per day Even with these side effects, I look forward to seeing how it goes since I am seeing an improvement in only a week"

Novasmom (taken for less than 1 month) November 9, 2017

"I began taking this medication by the recommendation of my OB/GYN. I have suffered from hirsutism for around 11 years with each year bringing more and more excess hair growth. MD informed me I need to be on a birth control if taking this medication due to possible severe injury to a fetus. After one month of being on this medication, I have noticed a significant decrease in the massive amount of dark, coarse hair I had growing on my chin, lip and sideburn area. I used to shave twice a day and have a panic attack if I forgot a shaving session, but now I only have to shave in the AM and by PM, there is very minimal growth noted. Definitely continuing this medication."

JeeZee September 20, 2017

"I'm a 23 year old girl who has struggled with acute hirsutism for years. It got so bad that I just resorted shaving my face and neck daily after years of waxing, plucking, threading to no avail. The hair was so bad on my neck that I sometimes had to shave it twice a day, as it was in small clusters of course black hair. Needless to say, this all caused me a lot of grief. I can honestly say that spiro has worked so well for me, as I have been using it in conjunction with laser hair removal on my face (once every 3/4 weeks), as well as with Vaniqua cream (daily), which is the only topical medication for hiritusim that I'm aware of ..in Australia at least. The results have been amazing and I feel so much more confident in myself already!!"

AJ1994 September 18, 2017

"I started taking 50mg spironolactone once a day for moderate hirsutism on my chin (up to like 30 terminal hairs), and other areas on my body, as well as moderate acne (constant breakouts). During the first 2 weeks I had crappy breakouts, and then like clock work, immediately after the 2 week mark, my skin started to clear up. I got electrolysis done and after just one visit, the hairs were no longer terminal on my chin, and most of them didn't even grow back at all (so basically the few that did grow back were like peach fuzz, which is the normal and unnoticeable hairs we have all over the body)."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 3, 2017

"I just started taking this medication because I have excessive facial and body hair growth. I'm really hopefully after reading a lot of reviews on it. @lola29 anyone looking to help with the coverage of their dark patches on their face: rub orange/red concealer (laGirl has a great/cheap one) over your dark patches with a beauty blender or sponge. This will look strange and dark but it cancels out the dark patches in your skin. Then cover the orange concealer with a full coverage concealer or foundation (dermacol is amazing!) ... make sure to set it with a powder. Seriously learned this trick from drag queens and it makes me feel 100x more comfortable while dealing with this facial hair. I hope that helps someone!!!"

Ceeajones (taken for less than 1 month) June 13, 2017

"I'm a 31-year-old woman with PCOS, and I've dealt with acne and excessive facial hair growth for years. I've been on metformin for around 2 years now, which was supposed to help my PCOS symptoms (in addition to being borderline diabetic), but I never really saw any results until my doctor put me on spironolactone in January 2017. Since then I've been taking a very low dose, only 50mg once a day, but it has done wonders for the hair growth! Though I would advise others to wax your facial hair rather than shaving it. When the hair is removed from the follicles, the spiro stunts its regrowth. For me, if I wax it once a week, when it does regrow it comes back barely half as thick as it used to and it's nowhere near as noticeable."

H J Jones May 20, 2017

"Started Spiro 2 weeks ago. I am already noticing a high difference in facial hair growth. I was plucking over 200 hairs a night and not getting even half the hair. The side effect of stomach ache has had some serious moments, but I'm told it will pass soon. The embarrassment of the facial hair and scaring from ingrown hairs has stopped me from socializing and made me a house mouse. I'm thrilled to see results after only 2 weeks and I'm confident time will continue to improve the condition."

Housemouse. (taken for less than 1 month) January 27, 2017

"I had a stroke after. Being on low-dose, birth-control for five years, Apri, at the age of 41, my docs, immediately, took me off all estrogen, and my b-c's, but, my face began to react violently, I never had teen-age, acne, but, this adult acne was the worst! Nothing worked, plus I had hair on my chin, and, upperlip, as well as a few strands in between my breast, needless to say it was extremely, embarrassing to meet people in that condition, I went to myderm, and,she looked at my thinning scalp, and, my warewolfish chin, and, immediately, prescribed 25 mg of spirio lactone, she said, that she couldn't promise anything, but together with 1% tretinoin, cream we could try, and a rx for .05% fluocinonide, we could try to regrow my lost hair."

Livvy121167 (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 19, 2017

"18 y/o female. I was prescribed this medicine for high testosterone from PCOS. Effects were gradual over the first 6 months or so and have maintained through now, a year later. My body acne cleared up to being nearly non-existent. My body has softened up and become a little more feminine, breasts and butt rounded out and got a little softer (same weight as before I began.) Not much noticeable effect on facial and body hair, seems to grow a little slower and a bit thinner but nothing drastic. No side effects except possibly contributing to a dead sex drive. Definitely love this medicine and would (and do) suggest it to other women with these testosterone problems."

Lizzipoo88 (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 6, 2017

"I've been on spironolatone for full facial hair growth with thinning hair on my edges. I take 200 milligrams a day. One hundred in the morning and one in the evening. It did take about three months to work but it significantly reduced the facial hair. I used to shave everyday but now I barely pluck a few hairs on my chin. The excessive sideburns are complete gone and I know longer have to shave and my edges are no longer thinning. They're full and continue to grow. I don't have the excessive peeing but it does makes me a little drowsy. I lost overall body weight but the down size was most of it was muscle mass. I gained curvaceous hips and my breast grew a cup size or two. The only pill that has worked and I've tried everything. Be patient."

Kemoray41 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 22, 2016

"I was prescribed this for both hair and acne on my face and chin, and it helped only very minimally. I was on it for several months at a 100mg, then upped to 200 mg dose per day. The hair did eventually start to lessen in re-growth, but the acne was just the same. The side effects, however, were completely not worth continuing. I little heartburn, and excess peeing, I can deal with, but I was getting my period every 12-14 days! Not just spotting, but the full deal!. Not thank you!! and that wasn't mentioned anywhere as a possible side effect, so... not thrilled."

ally k August 15, 2016

"Been on Spironolactone for a month 50 mg x 2 daily, for excess facial (chin) hair, with bonus acne clearing up I'm told. My results so far no improvement on hair. I'm trying not to give up but I have gained weight. My legs, mostly upper thighs, are getting bigger too quickly to be me just gaining a few pounds. I can deal with fuller breasts just not the rest of me. My dermatologist said she never heard of this and try and stick it out 3 months at least, but I see online others experienced weight gain too, shocked she dismissed so quickly. I'll do a couple more months to see if hair improvement. Plucking and shaving everyday gets old, just don't want to get any bigger in the meantime. So far, peeing yes, fuller yes, heartburn yes, hair yes."

TBred July 27, 2016

"I've been on this drug for about 2 years and I really like it! Results vary for different people, but for me it's made the hair on my body grow in finer, lighter, and *much* slower. It's not a miracle pill for me (I still have hirsutism), but it's made me 1000x more comfortable in my body. I never had hirsutism on my face, so I don't have any comments about that... In any case, this drug takes a looong time to kick in (6 months for me), but I definitely recommend it!"

happywithspiro (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 22, 2015

"I've been taking this drug for about a month now. I suffer from PCOS and get very dark coarse hair on my chin and neck. I have noticed a difference in the hair for sure. It is lighter and finer, which is great because I was getting tons of ingrowns. The only side effect I have had issues with is the fact that this is a diuretic, so I have to pee constantly."

Bella783 August 25, 2015

"I was given this prescription originally for acne, but haven't seen much effect there yet... However, it has done wonders for my body hair! I had a super-thick (and spreading) happy trail on my stomach, as well as more sparse chest hair. I've only been on Spiro for about 3 weeks, but the results are incredible! The hair is almost invisible, so I'm thrilled to see what it looks like after all the pre-medication razor burn and ingrown hair cuts are healed. I'll still be buying a Tria laser to make sure I get rid of as much hair as possible, but the hair is already visibly thinner, and it takes much longer to grow back as well. I wore a v-neck for the first time with confidence yesterday! Also- I've had NO side effects from this drug!"

Dosage: 100mg per day (2x50mg) (taken for less than 1 month) August 16, 2015

"I started getting facial hair probably 10 yrs ago. I'm 36 now. I am so embarrassed and it's getting worse. I find myself not going out as much and avoiding as much eye contact as I can. My Dr prescribed spironolactone over a year ago and it has not helped. She has increased it & that hasn't helped either. My left side by my chin has a dark spot from me constantly plucking the black coarse hairs. I see friends and family looking at it and I'm so uncomfortable that I just want to go home and hide. I have had labs done multiple times to check my hormone levels and it all comes back just fine. I need suggestions on another medication to try and a very good concealer to help hide my problem area. I would appreciate any advice."

Lola29 July 23, 2015

"I've been on this for barely a week for excessive hair growth on my neck and face. Only side affect present so far is the drowsiness. Barely within an hour and I'm ready to sleep. Only problem is it makes me sleep for a quantity of 5 to 12 hours. Definitely a night time medication."

VicPar (taken for less than 1 month) February 18, 2015