User Reviews for Spironolactone to treat High Blood Pressure

Also known as: Aldactone, CaroSpir

Spironolactone Rating Summary

5.4/10 Average Rating

Compare all 287 medications used in the treatment of High Blood Pressure.

Reviews for Spironolactone

Mom · Taken for less than 1 month August 2, 2020

“Be careful with spironolactone! Aside from other side effects this drug can cause fever and chills - aka “drug fever” After taking it for a few days I woke up one morning with shaking chills and fever-which could easily be mistaken for an infection. Felt god-awful and could barely get out of bed. I had the same reaction years ago to aldomet-I had no idea the two drugs were related until I asked the pharmacist.”

Peealot · Taken for less than 1 month May 16, 2020

“Since I’ve started this drug... I hardly need to pee very small amounts I’ve tried drinking more, over 2.5 litres. Doesn’t seem to make any difference I feel very unsteady I’m gonna stop taking it hopefully the doctor has something else”

RJ1003 · Taken for 10 years or more April 10, 2020

“been taking spirolactone for 10 years or more, kept my BP levels around 122/77 for years. Side effects was dry mouth, if I didn't drink enough water, urination often at night, swelling of the chest, was mild, soreness, mild. did lower testosterone , only notice that on paper, as I didn't feel any different. Now the effectiveness is waring down. may have to get a higher dose. 148/94 don't like that.”

Mike February 29, 2020

“Men taking this drug may experience breast growth and loss of testosterone turning them into a woman with a flaccid penis and zero sexual desire . ”

Salsa · Taken for less than 1 month February 18, 2020

“I have been taking 50mg of Spironolactone (together with 2x50mg Loxen) for 12 days. Effects will certainly still evolve, but in my case it lowers BP, makes me lose water, raises my low potassium, might help against my hirsutism (too early to tell), lowers my appetite and eliminates PMS. I have tried 8 other common BP meds before with side effects like cough, tinnitus, heart palpitations, fatigue and raised BP, and I started out with low potassium, fluid retention and hirsutism. Seems like a very good fit if you are in a similar situation..”

Treadwell · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 10, 2020

“I was on this medication for a short time for blood pressure, and had noticeable breast growth on one side and increased tenderness on both sides and had to stop taking it because of this, it works very well for helping control my blood pressure but I could not deal with the side effects”

Annie December 4, 2019

“I tried spiro 6 months ago lowered my bp to much had to come off. 100grm. Dr wouldn't listen to my side effects. Dry mouth severe cramps and numbness in left of face and left arm and foot. Sore mouth and tongue and so thirsty and itchy scalp and lots of hair falling out. Was put back on lower dose 1/2 of 25grm. Same night numbness started and fingers started to cramp. Washed hair a few days later and loads fell out. Stopped taking after 12 days. Dr not going to be pleased. This is a dangerous drug. Don't know how far numbness goes if ignored”

Billy · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 5, 2019

Aldactone (spironolactone): “Seemed better at salt removal. My side effects were it lowered my testosterone and lowered my thyroid levels”

John Doe · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 19, 2019

“I'm a 46 yo male and am taking spirolactone because of the nasty high blood pressure side effects of other drugs. Been taking this for 3 months, whilst it has lowered by BP it's not entirely effective, I'm still around 138/90. Side-effects have been bloatedness and wind, toilet 4x per day and occasional diarrhoea, weight gain, loss of libido.”

HO (Handsome one) · Taken for less than 1 month December 20, 2018

“Used half a tab of 25mg daily for two weeks with a two day interval between the weeks due to rash developing near belly button. Upon resumption no further rashes, but instead a tendinitis flareup with it starting to spread to the ankle. So I stopped taking it. Lab results with this small amount showed potassium slightly out of range, 5.5 on a scale of 2-5.3. The half tab didn't do a lot to keep BP down when added to 30mg Lisinipril I take. So I stopped taking it. I now believe most BP medicines were designed thinking someone from 60 up is sedentary. When one is a senior athlete I believe they leach something out of tendons and muscles causing problems.”

Janet Doe · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 19, 2018

“This medication doesn't work very well on bringing my blood pressure and the mint coating gives me awful heartburn”

SsTexas June 27, 2018

“For those of you who have you spironolactone for years and now received a different brand, and it's not working, you are in the same boat with all spironolactone users regardless of diagnosis. Apparently the manufacturers of Par and Actavis decided to stop making this drug, and no one can figure out as to why. The manufacturer Cadista had stepped in and producing a brownish round pill that seems to do nothing for people who really need spironolactone for their health. Call the FDA, call your Physician, call your Pharmacist, and request that the spironolactone be manufactured by Par or Actavis which is a oval, white pill be reproduced so we can get back to being healthy again! Not to scare you, but Canada is also having some of the same shortages.”

Chris · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 19, 2018

Aldactone (spironolactone): “I’ve had high blood pressure since my early forties. When I turned 50, my blood pressure became harder to control. I was on the max dosage of lisinopril, and I tried various others but the best my blood pressure would get is 140/88. I went to a cardiologist and he prescribed aldactone, along with 40mg of lisinopril. My bp has been perfect a 120/70 from then on. It’s been three years since I started it.”

Steve · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 6, 2018

“Low blood pressure was the worst side effect.”

53 Year Old Female · Taken for less than 1 month March 22, 2018

“Took medication for 2 days, woke up with severe diarrhea, stomach pains & severe vomiting. My body became VERY dehydrated and legs, ankles and feet began to have muscle spasms. After finally keeping some sea salt down I was able to go back to work after 48 hours of cramping! Continued taking this medication for another 3 weeks but my stomach was so messed up I still haven't gone back to eating meats. Cramps have come back and today my primary, who didn't prescribe this medication said this medication was the culprit and took me off of it. He stated the medication has all my electrolytes all out of balance. Other symptoms are extreme muscle weakness and uncontrollable drowsiness, sharp pains throughout my body, bad headaches, tightness in head, dizziness & unexplained confusion, very scary side effects. It appears this medication may hold on to potassium but it definitely sucked the other electrolytes out of me. I wouldn't recommend this medication to anyone.”

melantha1962 · Taken for less than 1 month November 24, 2017

“I was prescribed Spironolactone 25 mg, to take with my Hydrochlorothiazide (HCTZ 25 mg), for high blood pressure and low potassium levels. Just after I took Spironolactone with my HCTZ my BP was 136/77. Hours later I started having severe uncontrollable whole body tremors and bad headaches. I checked my BP and it was 167/84. I checked BP 15 minutes later and it was 180/93! Spironolactone was stopped. I wonder if this raises cortisol levels.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 24, 2017

“At first this medication worked. Then it all went down hill. Recently went into the ER with a BP of 205/115. This medicine has stopped working for me. Also my potassium is low as well. Would not recommend this for BP”

B.C. - Aged 76 yrs · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 7, 2017

“For a few months Spiractin worked well in controlling my blood pressure, however their was a marked deterioration in my renal functions. If taking this drug, keep a very close eye on your Creatinine and eGFR blood readings.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 30, 2016

“Taste, after receiving a bottle in a different state as I moved, just wanting to know if the medication suppose to taste like minty, even the bottle has a smell. Never had a smell or taste before and have been using spironolactone for over a year for a previous stroke”

rwwff · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 3, 2016

“Worked like a champ, dropping me to very near normal bp. Have been tolerating near 150/95+ with other meds for a while. Other bp meds also gave me muscle cramps and graying out when doing high intensity exercise. I could also swear my heart rhythm is smoother on Spiro somehow, I'm sensitive to the way it moves, but of course that's very subjective. side effects... well, it will drop your Testosterone level which you may or may not find annoying. If you'd find a bit of gyno unacceptable, you may need to find something else.”

NOLA9 · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 4, 2016

“This drug, while perhaps effective at reducing systolic and diastolic blood pressure, creates serious adverse effects for its users. In my case (50-ish female; long-term borderline hypertension, gradually increasing), (1) I developed MALE pattern hair loss. My part was very visible and looked bright white, as there were no longer enough follicles to fill in the part. The small hairs at my hairline were gone. The number of hairs is important, all over the scalp, to create fullness. (2) Over time (6-9 months), I noticed a complete lack of sexual interest and a blunted response. Less you want to attribute this to my AGE (who tells that to a man??), I will report that both interest and response returned within 2 weeks of discontinuing.”

ezgoman · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 14, 2016

“I have suffered secondary hypertension ever since I were in first grade. I am now 73 and been on 2 to 4 blood pressure meds ever since I was 21 years old. And in the last two years I have been in the ER 10 times with blood pressure way in the danger zone. One episode left me with a aneurysm on my heart. After my Nephrologist took over my case, he change my meds and added spirolactone which immediately dropped my pressure to normal. Thank goodness someone knew of this med, as my heart Dr. and my primary Dr. for years had no idea what to do.”

098 · Taken for less than 1 month May 13, 2016

“I was taking Indapamide for 25 yrs to control my blood pressure until last year when I developed AdFib and my blood pressure rocketed. After struggling with various beta blocker , ACE inhibitors and an ARB I decided life was not worth living due to the side effects and went back to Indapamide only, where by after an initial large increase of my blood pressure this came down to reasonable level (138/95) but really that is not the best. My GP has recommended half a 25mg tablet each day together with my Indapamide and my blood pressure is now 125/74 so success. At present I have no undue side effect but only time will tell, so I am happy at this. Going back for blood test in two weeks.”

Angry husband · Taken for less than 1 month December 28, 2015

“My wife took this medicine for two days only, just 9 days ago, and we're not sure she's going live another week. She stopped it after the 2nd dose because she got severe stomach pain and low back ache. The last 4 days she has barely had enough strength to get out of bed to use the bathroom. She has a difficult time breathing, is coughing way too much, has diarrhea, no appetite, headache, dry mouth. Her symptoms now look like congestive heart failure. No one should have to go through this with a drug that's supposed to help, not kill you.”

Indianasoap September 14, 2015

“This medication brought my dangerous blood pressure levels down to normal or normal borderline but definitely not the triple digits from before. The side effect I am experiencing that bothers me is dizziness. I am going to try to drink more water to see if this helps. I also have noticed a lack of appetite.”