User Reviews for Spironolactone

Also known as: Aldactone

Learn more about Spironolactone.

Spironolactone Rating Summary

6.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 347 medications used in the treatment of High Blood Pressure.

Reviews for Spironolactone to treat High Blood Pressure

"I have suffered secondary hypertension ever since I were in first grade. I am now 73 and been on 2 to 4 blood pressure meds ever since I was 21 years old. And in the last two years I have been in the ER 10 times with blood pressure way in the danger zone. One episode left me with a aneurysm on my heart. After my Nephrologist took over my case, he change my meds and added spirolactone which immediately dropped my pressure to normal. Thank goodness someone knew of this med, as my heart Dr. and my primary Dr. for years had no idea what to do."

ezgoman (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 14, 2016

"I was taking Indapamide for 25 yrs to control my blood pressure until last year when I developed AdFib and my blood pressure rocketed. After struggling with various beta blocker , ACE inhibitors and an ARB I decided life was not worth living due to the side effects and went back to Indapamide only, where by after an initial large increase of my blood pressure this came down to reasonable level (138/95) but really that is not the best. My GP has recommended half a 25mg tablet each day together with my Indapamide and my blood pressure is now 125/74 so success. At present I have no undue side effect but only time will tell, so I am happy at this. Going back for blood test in two weeks."

098 (taken for less than 1 month) May 13, 2016

"My wife took this medicine for two days only, just 9 days ago, and we're not sure she's going live another week. She stopped it after the 2nd dose because she got severe stomach pain and low back ache. The last 4 days she has barely had enough strength to get out of bed to use the bathroom. She has a difficult time breathing, is coughing way too much, has diarrhea, no appetite, headache, dry mouth. Her symptoms now look like congestive heart failure. No one should have to go through this with a drug that's supposed to help, not kill you."

Angry husband (taken for less than 1 month) December 28, 2015

"This medication brought my dangerous blood pressure levels down to normal or normal borderline but definitely not the triple digits from before. The side effect I am experiencing that bothers me is dizziness. I am going to try to drink more water to see if this helps. I also have noticed a lack of appetite."

Indianasoap September 14, 2015

"I am a female taking spiromolactone. This medicine is awesome for women. MEN SHOULD NOT TAKE THIS MEDICATION as it lowers their testosterone levels. I take it to regulate the androgen side effects of my testosterone shots. It is awesome for women and just as awful for men. Do your research men."

Kjs61 August 11, 2015

"I am a 63 year old male with severe hypertension. In my attempt to eliminate the number of prescriptions I was taking to bring the levels down to 'normal' , my doctor decided to prescribe spironolactone. The result was dramatic and it brought my BP down to normal. After a few months I began experiencing a pain in my breasts and after a few more months I noticed the pain and sensitivity increasing. My breasts were also increasing in size. I stopped this particular drug because I was concerned at the ever increasing pain, the increasing size of my breasts and no indication that either side effect would diminish. I am now on a quest to find an alternative to spironolactone without the disturbing side effects."

SequimGuy (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 13, 2015

"10 pound weight gain that I have not been able to lose. Excellent with lowering my blood pressure."

HeyHollyGirl (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 6, 2015

"I have had high blood pressure for 4 years (now age 69) my doctor prescribed spironolactone as part of my treatment take one 25 MG tablet every day in the morning. to reduce body salt and retain potassium. I was not advised of the side effects such as lack of sexual drive. I have to urinate about 6 times per day (twice overnight) which is a minor problem, difficult getting to sleep, avoid taking sleeping pills, get light headed and dizzy spells at times have to take time when rising from the sitting position. Do not have any of the other side effects as described in the literature. With other medicines my blood pressure is under control."

peter Dumai. (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 5, 2013

"I'm a 46 year old female and have been on spironolactone for 2 years for high blood pressure. After a year and a half my doctor took me off for a couple of months as I had great blood pressure and he thought with my avid exercising and diet changes I'd be able to regulate it myself. My blood pressure immediately shot up to dangerous levels and I had to be back on Spironolactone immediately which also immediately took my blood pressure back down to safe levels. Unless something else comes along, I guess I'm on it for life. I count my blessings, it does it's job and with only two noticeable side-effects for me both negative and positive: slight drowsiness and keeps any water retention at bay (which I had a problem with previously)."

WearyLifer (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 23, 2013

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Aldactone (spironolactone): "I took this medication for four years, all the while becoming less and less interested in sex and unable to achieve an erection. Having gone through 4 cardiologists not a one of them ever informed me that Aldactone is an anti-androgen which blocks muscle and bodily binding of testosterone necessary for it to take effect and also lowers production of testosterone itself. I had to happen upon it on my own. The day I found out is the day I stopped taking it. Giving a male a medicine which renders his testosterone ineffectual may be good for those undergoing a sex change but not for those who are not. There is another potassium sparing drug like Aldactone without the sexual side effects but it is more expensive. "

Anonymous December 1, 2011

107 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Aldactone (spironolactone): "This medicine did lower my blood pressure but after being on it for about 2 months, I began to have trouble urinating. At first I thought I was getting a bladder infection but the symptoms would come and go. Mainly occurring right after I took the pill. I decided to stop taking it for a while to see if the symptoms went away and they did. I also had swelling of my hands and I gained 5 pounds. "

Anonymous April 7, 2011

83 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been taking this medicine for 1 year. Spironolactone 50mg daily has taken my blood pressure to a normal level. It is great apart from some side effects mainly heart burn and joint pain."

angler June 22, 2010

"This drug has been a miracle for me. I had severe hypertension for 20 years and was taking the maximum dosage or more of all of the classes of medications. When Spironolactone was added, my blood pressure came down almost immediately. Since then, nearly all of my other medications have been stopped, I am feeling great, and my blood pressure is well controlled."

brombd November 4, 2009

102 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I am 55 year old male. Yes, this medication does what it is supposed to do. However, my side effect included slight breast development. Doctor has not taken me off this medicine. I am upset with the doctor for not warning me about this psychologically effect. Can not come off of it without a replacement apparently, so I am stuck. "

sophocles August 11, 2009

Aldactone (spironolactone): "This medicine treated high-blood pressure, water retention, acne, female/male pattern hair-loss, excessive, unwanted facial hair and is a potassium sparing medicine. It is ideal for sufferers of insulin resistance or pcos. Although it hasn't completely stopped the unwanted hair growth it has been the only thing that has made a significant difference by slowing it down drastically. It has also slowed the hair-loss down significantly in which I am very pleased with."

Anonymous October 19, 2008

168 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I take 25mg twice a day. It keeps my blood pressure down and I have not had any side effects from taking it."

Anonymous April 17, 2008

94 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate