User Reviews for Spironolactone to treat High Blood Pressure (Page 2)

Also known as: Aldactone, CaroSpir

Spironolactone Rating Summary

5.4/10 Average Rating

Compare all 287 medications used in the treatment of High Blood Pressure.

Reviews for Spironolactone

Kjs61 August 11, 2015

“I am a female taking spiromolactone. This medicine is awesome for women. MEN SHOULD NOT TAKE THIS MEDICATION as it lowers their testosterone levels. I take it to regulate the androgen side effects of my testosterone shots. It is awesome for women and just as awful for men. Do your research men.”

SequimGuy · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 13, 2015

“I am a 63 year old male with severe hypertension. In my attempt to eliminate the number of prescriptions I was taking to bring the levels down to 'normal' , my doctor decided to prescribe spironolactone. The result was dramatic and it brought my BP down to normal. After a few months I began experiencing a pain in my breasts and after a few more months I noticed the pain and sensitivity increasing. My breasts were also increasing in size. I stopped this particular drug because I was concerned at the ever increasing pain, the increasing size of my breasts and no indication that either side effect would diminish. I am now on a quest to find an alternative to spironolactone without the disturbing side effects.”

HeyHollyGirl · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 6, 2015

“10 pound weight gain that I have not been able to lose. Excellent with lowering my blood pressure.”

peter Dumai. · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 5, 2013

“I have had high blood pressure for 4 years (now age 69) my doctor prescribed spironolactone as part of my treatment take one 25 MG tablet every day in the morning. to reduce body salt and retain potassium. I was not advised of the side effects such as lack of sexual drive. I have to urinate about 6 times per day (twice overnight) which is a minor problem, difficult getting to sleep, avoid taking sleeping pills, get light headed and dizzy spells at times have to take time when rising from the sitting position. Do not have any of the other side effects as described in the literature. With other medicines my blood pressure is under control.”

WearyLifer · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 23, 2013

“I'm a 46 year old female and have been on spironolactone for 2 years for high blood pressure. After a year and a half my doctor took me off for a couple of months as I had great blood pressure and he thought with my avid exercising and diet changes I'd be able to regulate it myself. My blood pressure immediately shot up to dangerous levels and I had to be back on Spironolactone immediately which also immediately took my blood pressure back down to safe levels. Unless something else comes along, I guess I'm on it for life. I count my blessings, it does it's job and with only two noticeable side-effects for me both negative and positive: slight drowsiness and keeps any water retention at bay (which I had a problem with previously).”

Anonymous December 1, 2011

Aldactone (spironolactone): “I took this medication for four years, all the while becoming less and less interested in sex and unable to achieve an erection. Having gone through 4 cardiologists not a one of them ever informed me that Aldactone is an anti-androgen which blocks muscle and bodily binding of testosterone necessary for it to take effect and also lowers production of testosterone itself. I had to happen upon it on my own. The day I found out is the day I stopped taking it. Giving a male a medicine which renders his testosterone ineffectual may be good for those undergoing a sex change but not for those who are not. There is another potassium sparing drug like Aldactone without the sexual side effects but it is more expensive. ”

Anonymous April 7, 2011

Aldactone (spironolactone): “This medicine did lower my blood pressure but after being on it for about 2 months, I began to have trouble urinating. At first I thought I was getting a bladder infection but the symptoms would come and go. Mainly occurring right after I took the pill. I decided to stop taking it for a while to see if the symptoms went away and they did. I also had swelling of my hands and I gained 5 pounds. ”

angler June 22, 2010

“I have been taking this medicine for 1 year. Spironolactone 50mg daily has taken my blood pressure to a normal level. It is great apart from some side effects mainly heart burn and joint pain.”

brombd November 4, 2009

“This drug has been a miracle for me. I had severe hypertension for 20 years and was taking the maximum dosage or more of all of the classes of medications. When Spironolactone was added, my blood pressure came down almost immediately. Since then, nearly all of my other medications have been stopped, I am feeling great, and my blood pressure is well controlled.”

sophocles August 11, 2009

“I am 55 year old male. Yes, this medication does what it is supposed to do. However, my side effect included slight breast development. Doctor has not taken me off this medicine. I am upset with the doctor for not warning me about this psychologically effect. Can not come off of it without a replacement apparently, so I am stuck. ”

Anonymous October 19, 2008

Aldactone (spironolactone): “This medicine treated high-blood pressure, water retention, acne, female/male pattern hair-loss, excessive, unwanted facial hair and is a potassium sparing medicine. It is ideal for sufferers of insulin resistance or pcos. Although it hasn't completely stopped the unwanted hair growth it has been the only thing that has made a significant difference by slowing it down drastically. It has also slowed the hair-loss down significantly in which I am very pleased with.”

Anonymous April 17, 2008

“I take 25mg twice a day. It keeps my blood pressure down and I have not had any side effects from taking it.”