User Reviews for Spironolactone

Also known as: Aldactone

Learn more about Spironolactone.

Spironolactone Rating Summary

8.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 430 medications used in the treatment of Acne.

Reviews for Spironolactone to treat Acne

"I was prescribed 50mg of Spiro a day with topical Tretinoin Gel (19 year old female here). I started noticing improvement in my acne after I introduced that topical gel into the equation (so I imagine that the topical caused most of the improvement). Two weeks after starting Spiro, I started noticing hair all over the sink and a ton in the shower drain. I experienced tightening of the throat on and off after a week (a subtle annoyance, not super severe) and didn't attribute it to the Spiro, but eventually I realized my voice sounded very deep, unacceptable as I'm a singer. I had no idea this was a side effect until I looked up Spiro side effects and it explained everything. I stopped taking it after this and won't go back at this dosage."

hiitsemilie (taken for less than 1 month) July 11, 2016

"I was prescribed Spironolactone for my "adult" acne. I am now 21 years old. I've been on the medication for a little over 7 months now. Although my acne has mostly subsided, the symptoms were NOT AT ALL WORTH IT. From the first month, I experienced abnormal bleeding and spotting. I expected this since my doctor told me it's normal to happen for the first 3 months. Thing is, it never stopped. It's now been 7 months and I still wake up, peeing dark brown blood. I actually urinate quite often now as it is considered a 'water pill'. I've also gained about 10 pounds and my whole body feels swollen and bloated. I experienced intense pain in my ovaries and it was painful to have intercourse- I saw the gynecologist and the ultrasound was clear. She told me that Spironolactone could be the cause, as it has been reported before. My dermatologist never told me any of this. She actually told me I could be on it for the rest of my life without any problems and it's only been about 7 months and I'm in hell. I scheduled to see a different dermatologist today. DO NOT recommend this in the least."

Klr22 July 7, 2016

"I am 39 and have bad cystic acne along my jawline. My Dermatologist prescribed me to take 100mg a day for 3 months. The first month I saw no change and did flare up as others have mentioned. By the end of month 2, my skin looked incredible. I stopped after 3 months because this drugs completely screwed with my libido. I used to be very sexually active with my husband and after taking this drug my libido has dropped in such a drastic manner. Whatever you do, DO NOT STOP TAKING THIS DRUG COLD TURKEY. You will swell up and retain water for 3 weeks. Ensure that you taper yourself off. I have now been off the drug for 5 months and my skin is back to being as oily as ever and the acne has returned. My next step will be Accutane or Minocyclin."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 5, 2016

"I started off on 50mg once per day for 6 weeks. I noticed very little improvement in my acne but my skin was less oily. The only side effect I had on this dosage was cramping and spotting in between my periods. After 6 weeks my derm upped my dosage to two 50mg pills per day. My acne began to clear and my skin became dry for the first time in my life. I kind of enjoyed it while it lasted. The side effects worsened as my dosage increased. I had frequent urination, severe thirst, headaches, the cramping intensified slightly and I would occasionally become light headed. From the day I started this medication to 2 weeks after stopping I did not stop bleeding. Literally constant bleeding. If it weren't for that, I'd have continued with it!"

FitB2009 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 30, 2016

"I am 22 and I have always had moderate acne on my forehead since I was 13. I first started with 100mg of spiro which caused a horrible initial breakout. I stopped taking it for 1 month and started it again but on 50mg and it really cleared my skin. Within one month I started getting a terrible headache that lasted 1 week it was so unbearable i stopped taking the pill for a week now and my headache is completely gone. I don't know if this happened because my diet consists of mostly salt food, but I was seriously scared I thought I had a brain tumor. This pill is a diuretic so maybe it'll work well to those whom have a well balanced diet, but as soon as you feel side effects you should stop it immediately!!! :("

Yarii (taken for less than 1 month) June 16, 2016

"... Long story short, this medication did very little for my acne, and caused me to have high blood sugar. On the plus side, it did decreased the oil on my face, and made my period shorter and lighter, but overall it wasn't worth it for me to continue taking it. I experienced a mild case of what seemed like every side effect listed, this passed with time."

Anonymous June 10, 2016

"I've been on this for 3 months and it worked really well at first. I used to get intense zits around my chin and upper lip, and they all but disappeared until a few weeks ago. I'm still fighting off that round of zits. My dermatologist upped my dosage and said that it's not uncommon to have this experience when starting out on spironalactone. Also, I'm not enjoying the side effects. I feel super dizzy right when I wake up in the morning, which makes it hard to exercise. I also pee like a pregnant lady and get around two periods a month now, neither of which are fun. It was totally worth it when my face cleared up. I'm not stopping the medication but I'm a little disenchanted at the moment. Do you all take it at the same time each day?"

Ggn (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 3, 2016

"So I started taking 100 my since December. Took about 2-3 months to see a difference . HUGE improvement . Nothing else has come close to working like this has. But... CRAZY IRREGUALR PERIODS. I'm talking about going from a 40 day Clycle before starting spiro to having my period every 10 days. I don't know what to do. I've been weaning off & so far so good. I just don't want to break out like crazy but I also don't wanna put up with so many periods . I also went from good/normal to really low blood pressure."

andrea2014aam May 17, 2016

"I have been taken this for 3 months. My acne started clearing almost immediately, with only one break out about a month and a half in. I am currently acne free and ready trying to even my skin tone that is dis colored from scaring. I didn't have any noticeable side affects. I wish one of the other doctors or dermatologist I have seen over the years would have tried this years ago!!!"

Upseeyore May 13, 2016

"I have had years of severe bulbous ulcers under the skin and have tried many products, that have tamed the flare ups for a period of time. In older years Adult acne started to set in my doctor prescribed Spironolactone. The results are amazing I have minimal breakouts and no ulcers I have very happy to have been given an alternative oral medicine that works!"

Oges Ziggy (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 12, 2016

"Please be careful on this drug. It is a diuretic and can cause your sodium to drop, especially if you drink a lot of water. I became increasingly lightheaded and dizzy. I was vomiting. I went to the ER and my sodium was 118. Normal is around 135-145. This is dangerously low. Under 115 and your brain can swell leading to seizure, herniation, and death. If you're having symptoms please stop taking the medicine and have your labs checked."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 7, 2016

"I have been on spiro at 100mg for about seven months. First, the plus side is that I have had almost no side effects. I only experienced side effects when I temporarily increased my dosage to 150mg to control a bad outbreak. Even then, the side effects were just headaches and having to pee a lot. The down side is that it never fully cleared my acne. Where I started spiro, I would say I had moderate acne, which I've had since middle school (I'm 18 now). I now have mild-moderate acne, depending on the day. The last few months I haven't had a single completely clear day. Overall, I'm disappointed. This was supposed to be the thing that finally worked."

Malouy (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 1, 2016

"I grew up with great skin until I was into my 20's. It started out small but got to be a much bigger issue as the years went on, turning into large and wide cysts that only came back as soon as they healed, on a 2 week endless cycle. Started seeing a derm and soon tried many things such as antibiotics and topical meds, which only worked for a few months before needing to switch the meds up again. This was a real low point and I realized how much this was affecting my life. Finally tried Spiro. I almost gave up on trying to find something that worked for me until about 4+ months in on taking 75mg 2x per day. Saved my life! I get a few breakouts and pimples, but very tolerable and nothing like I was experiencing."

C Bear (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 30, 2016

"I was a sufferer real bad of adult acne on my back, chest and chin, and this was the only thing that worked for me. Unfortunately I suffered a drug reaction from it that left my lower extremities (rectal itch, etc) that kept me up all night....it was horrible and it took a few months for it to subside with a lower dosage and antihistamines. Lower dosage worked better but it did eventually did damage to my kidneys which is a risk side affect of taking this drug. So be aware if you have weak kidneys DO NOT take this drug!"

babyblue2 April 17, 2016

"I have to say after all the other medicines I've tried I'm not sure why this was the last resort. This was the only medicine that worked for my cystic acne caused by my PCOS. I've tried birth control antibiotics topical treatments you name it. Nothing beside this has really worked for me I a on 100 mg once a day and this has been my savior. Although i found it took a good month to see oil reduction. Only con was irregular periods but after 5 months it straightened out."

Drinabambina April 13, 2016

"I'm a 20 year old female. I've always had mild acne, usually in the forehead, temple and chin areas. It was something makeup could always cover. About 8 months ago, I went on Skyla IUD. My periods were irregular and I started getting hormonal cystic acne. I had at least two bumps on my face on any given day. About 2 months ago, I went to my dermatologist with the problem and he prescribed me spironolactone. I noticed a different after two weeks of the medicine. Two months later I am 100% free of cystic acne, and other acne as well! I only get 1-2 small pimples around my period. The only side effect I have is constant urination, which on top of my chronic UTIs, is a little bit of a hassle. Therefore, I take it at bedtime if I need a bathroom"

Skyla User (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 25, 2016

"I am 29 and have suffered from acne most of my life. I would have random flare ups. Some months wouldn't be that bad and others would be the under the skin painful bumps only around my jawbone and chin area. The older I got the most frequently and worse my acne got. I went to a derm. and he immediately said it was hormonal acne. He put me on 50mgs twice a day. I have been on spiro. for about a year and it has done wonders for me. The only thing is it makes me incredibly thirsty, but I don't consider that a bad thing. I haven't had any side effects other than that."

Dakota Rochester March 23, 2016

"I'm 32 and had the Mirena IUD inserted 4 months ago. I started experiencing relentless acne on one side of my jawline almost immediately which was unsightly and embarrassing. I googled if there was a correlation between the two and found endless websites stating there was. When I read that spironolactone helped many women, I called my OB/Gyn and asked her for a prescription which she had no problem with and sent my prescription to the pharmacist without an appointment. I've taken 25mg for only 6 days so far and have already noticed an impressive improvement without any side effects. So happy!"

Mirena/acne experiencer (taken for less than 1 month) March 21, 2016

"I'm gonna' make this simple. I took spironolactone and lived happily ever after PERIOD. (God willing) OK fine, I'll elaborate. -Age: 35. -Chin acne sufferer. -Tried A-Z of meds/birth control pills. -Used Accutane as a teen. Worked until adulthood. -Taking spiro @ 25mg (half of one pill): No initial breakout. No spotting. No period issues. Instant clearing of skin and no joke. -Side effects: I pee a lot...so what? -Not on the bcp with it, just spiro by itself. FYI I took spiro a year ago before for 5 months @ 50mg a day with same great results but stopped because I had intense breast tenderness. Boohoo, I should have just lowered my dosage but I was stupid. -spiro worked for me but if it doesn't for you, don't give up."

Bookish March 8, 2016

"Ladies if your derm won't give go to your Ob-Gyn. They will usually definitely give it to you for pms i.e. swelling, menstrual cramps etc..thats what i take it periodically for and it works 100%. Some will give it to you for acne. Either way get it how you can from you OB. Idk why but something told me to look the drug up for acne, because for some stupid reason at 39 acne is killing my pretty smooth chocolate skin complexion. Never ever had acne before. So I'm depressed and desperate. So glad I found this site. But ladies Ob -Gyn/ gynecologist will prescribe for reasons list above I guarantee it!!!!!"

Anonymous March 5, 2016

"I was on every single acne medication even acutane which helped for awhile and then I still would get cystic acne around my period. My doctor told me it was all hormonal acne and put me on spironolactone and its the only thing that has ever helped me! I'm so happy!"

sarren1 (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 21, 2016

"I've been taking this medication for bad hormonal acne on my chin for over two months now, and today I see major improvement. The only time I breakout now is when I miss a dose, or when I get a pimple or two around the time of my period. It's also helped me to maintain my weight as an added benefit. I take 100 mg a day along with Bactrim and Finacea foam. Ask your doctor for this combo, it works great!"

Allison333 February 14, 2016

"I love spironolactone (I take 200mgs a day). I am 46 years old and started with cystic acne at 21 and tried everything: Roaccutane (hideous side effects - an evil drug), Dianette (severe nausea all the time), Retin A (great but burned my skin), oral antibiotics (caused severe and permanent hyperpigmentation). So as you can see spironolactone is a breeze compared to the others I've tried. I have gained a few pounds and have breakthrough spotting but I do not have a single spot (as long as I wash my make up off!). It's been about 4 years and I dread the day my GP tries to stop them (I am in UK)"

Jane Dew February 13, 2016

"I am a 22 year old female who had painful, cystic, lumps that would form deep in the skin around my mouth and would get worse with my hormone cycle. I went on YAZ as it is the only birth control proven to help hormonal acne and the progesterone in it, drosperinone, acts very similar to spiro. This helped but then school got very stressful and the acne got worse. I went on 50 mg of spiro and it definitely helped cut down on the number and severity of acne. After being on the 50 mg for 4 months, I moved up to 100 mg and have had 0 acne since!!! Not exaggerating. YAZ completely cleared my 21 year old friend's hormonal acne up but mine did not clear until adding 100 mg of spiro, so try things out to see what will help!"

MerryZitmas (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 9, 2016

"I've been on this medication for two weeks and now I'm experiencing cystic acne and a horrible horrible massive breakout on my face back chest shoulders and even neck! I have never had this bad of acne and I'm getting worried. My doctor told me that this medication would not do the whole worse before better thing so what's going on? Please if anyone knows anything please help."

RylieWill February 1, 2016