User Reviews for Spironolactone

Also known as: Aldactone

Learn more about Spironolactone.

Spironolactone Rating Summary

8.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 440 medications used in the treatment of Acne.

Reviews for Spironolactone to treat Acne

"I used to have really severe cystic acne that was unresponsive to anything else. I was too scared to take Accutane and spiro was like my last resort. I have a olive/tan skin tone, so I'm prone to hyper pigmentation/scarring. I've been taking 50 mg consistently and I've noticed a dramatic difference in my skin. The only side effect that remained was increased urgency to pee and my cycle shortened (although I'm still regular). You really have to be patient with this drug. I noticed a dramatic difference in my acne straightaway. Also when I do get a pimple now, it goes away a lot faster. My skin isn't 100% perfect, but it's so much better. I've wanted to increase the dose, but I think I'm happy with my skin as it is now."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 26, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I take 50 mg of Spironolactone twice daily for acne. My experience is very positive. Initially, I noticed light-headedness and pronounced diuretic effects. Lost a couple of pounds of water weight. Appetite and weight gain/loss are not affected. My skin cleared within two to three weeks. I occasionally have a small pimple or blackhead that goes away in a day or two. My periods are very irregular. I think since I started taking this drug I've had one "real" period requiring the use of tampons. I do randomly spot/bleed from time to time. No mental health effects so far. If anything, I feel more stable due to the lack of periods and PMS."

Meelynn April 25, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I made a youtube video showing the progress of how my skin reacted to spiro. It definitely takes patience it's not something that's going to work overnight. And this isn't a long term fix unless you plan to stay on the pills forever. This pill is a diuretic so it gave me a very dry mouth and I had to pee more than I'd like to. It definitely cleared up my skin while I was on it though. If you have hormonal acne and nothing else is working for you I would recommend trying it. "

AshleyK24 April 25, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was on Diane 35 for seven yrs (15-23 my skin was amazing) What I didn't realize was that Diane Caused me to gain a lot of weight, I put it on almost immediately (age 15) and struggled with weight issues and an eating disorder. When I stopped Diane at 23 to have kids, I quickly lost about 15 lbs (5lbs of water) and my insane appetite as well. After children I wanted to go back on Diane for nice skin. I promptly gained the weight, eating issues returned! So I quit and decided to try spiro. 25 mg once a day. My skin started clearing immediately but Within 3 weeks I had weight gain, aged 5 yrs, along with other horrible side effects! Since quitting for two days I feel myself again! I'll stick with Skin Ceuticals Acne Kit and zinc supplements!!"

bboo (taken for less than 1 month) March 29, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have dealt with acne on my face and back for years. I was on birth control pills for a time that cleared my skin up completely, but I hated how the pills made me feel. I then got the skyla IUD which didn't mess with my head, but didn't do anything for my acne. Big surprise: it all came back. On my face and especially on my back. I went to the derm and they put me on Spiro 100mg a day. It has taken at least 4 months to see my results. I will occasionally get a zit on my face and back, but its nothing like it was before. They are just a red bump that lasts only a couple of days. I wish I started this medication from the beginning instead of spending so much money on literally every OTC product out there."

NikkiNik March 22, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I am 38 y/o female and started spironolactone about a month after coming off of 7 months of accutane. Accutane cleared my skin while on it, but within a couple weeks of stopping, out comes my cystic acne. My Derm prescribed Spiro and within 1 week of starting at 25mg p/d I experienced sore stiff joints from my finger joints to my knees, extreme fatigue, and weight gain. I lasted three weeks before the 4lbs. gained went any higher and the joint stiffness got to the point where exercising started to become painful. The extreme dryness especially the constant dry chapped lips while on Accutane now seem like a cake walk compared to the multitude of side effects from this medicine. I will just have to get the cysts injected everytime now."

Gerbgirl (taken for less than 1 month) March 17, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I suffered with acne as a teen and young adult. After trying literally everything from oils to natural astringents, to OTC meds and more I finally decided to see a dermatologist. He prescribed me spironolactone and tretinoin (retin a cream). I was told to be patient, it could take up to three months to see results. Well during that three month period my acne got SO much worse. I was so depressed, and my face hurt so bad. But I stuck with the meds. After exactly three months of use (August) everything cleared up, completely. It's been 7 months since August and I've gotten MAYBE 3 small 24hr pimples and my blackheads are gone. Patience is key but this was a lifesaver"

JD91 March 9, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I started birth control at age 17 (orto tri cyclen) after trying doxy and minocycline and it cleared up my acne like a charm! Then shortly before I turned 21 I started getting acne on just my chin (combo of closed comedones and hard small cystic acne) and after about a month of dealing with the acne, hoping it would clear, I saw a dermatologist and asked to be put on spiro since I read good reviews. She told me it was for older women and just put me on tazorac .05% and aczone 7.5%. The tazorac completely tore up my face but after a month my skin got used to it and definitely was helping the texture of my chin but just not stopping the acne (plus taz made my skin super sensitive so when I would frown or move my face a lot my face/chin would turn kinda red... definitely unflattering and not a good topical for summer months) and the aczone was helpful but not stopping everything. Fed up with my derm, I saw a second derm who took one look at my face and suggested spironolactone and benzaclin (antiobiotic). I stopped the aczone and started the benzaclin which worked really well for a couple of weeks and then didn't work well so I stopped it entirely. I started on 25 mg spiro once a day for a month last November 2016. I didn't see results so my derm upped it to 50 mg in December. I started to see small results like decreased oil production on my face and hair but nothing truly impacting the acne. In January I went up to 75mg for a few weeks and then 100mg (50 twice a day) and that is where I am right now (March 2017) and my face for the first time summer 2016 is completely clear. I almost feel like I'm jinxing myself for typing that but it's been a full month without any sort of pimple (even during my period). I can also go two days without washing my hair and my hair would usually be oily by the end of the day so that is a HUGE plus... and the oil on my nose decreased by 95% I'd say. I don't have any side effects, maybe just prone to headaches from dehydration (so definitely drink lots of water) and I have to get my blood tested for high potassium levels since its a diuretic and can make the body retain potassium. I still work out everyday and I don't feel fatigued or anything! I would definitely suggest spiro, it can take 2-3 months to truly get complete clearing but I'm so happy I waited it out. I did get a slight breakout at upping to 50 mg on my temples which never get acne but it went away shortly and that was my only breakout from the spiro."

Phoebs March 5, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had HORRIBLE cystic acne on my chin - i'm talking 20 huge cystic pimples on my chin at any given time - no amount of makeup could cover it up. It was causing me major concern and depression. My Derm put me on Accutane that worked fairly well (aside from bloody noses and extremely dry skin) but as soon as I finished Accutane, my acne came back with a vengeance. So I went back to my Dermatologist and she put me on Spironolactone. She told me the pills could take up to 2-3 months to take any effect BUT here's the thing: it worked STRAIGHT away! I'm telling you - I took 2 pills! One on Sunday then another on Monday and by Tuesday my pimples were almost gone! I honestly think this is some sort of miracle pill...it's changed my life."

ClaireHil February 13, 2017

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been on this a month now for my acne given by my dermatologist. I also use epiduo and aczone. Been on epiduo since I was 15 and it was a miracle worker for all these years. When I stopped taking birth control epiduo wasn't enough to keep my acne away. So my dermatologist gave me this medicine 50mg a day. Haven't seen a big change honestly. My back acne has cleared up but on my face I'm still always having at least 2 pimples. Sounds like nothing but it's annoying to get rid of a pimple and two more pop up in an immediate cycle. I'm going to see my dermatologist tomorrow for a check in and hopefully she ups the dose or something. I've heard this medicine takes a while to work though usually around 3rd month is when you see results"

Camilleeeee20 February 11, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"As anyone taken Spironolactone for cystic adult acne, and experienced throat spasms called Cricopharyngeal Spasm? It occurred around the same time I was experiencing tightness in the test. I only administered the drug for 4 weeks but the side effects have persisted."

Denise_Lef (taken for less than 1 month) February 9, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I started this medicine while breaking out with severe cystic acne for my adult life. I took this medicine for the past year, 1 year total. My face cleared up, but I gained 25 lbs in one year. No other medicine changes. I could deal with the weight, but when I came to the ER with terrible abdominal pain, I knew something was wrong. I have an ovarian cyst now, and have to hope it doesn't rupture. Make sure you are willing to accept the risks of having clear skin, as this can apparently happen to anyone who takes spironolactone."

Nicki_Betty (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 3, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been on Spironolactone 50 mg a day now since August 2016. After being blessed with clear skin the majority of my adult years, I suddenly was stricken with deep, painful acne, all over my checks, mouth and forehead. I originally tried doxy for three months with little to no success. Transitioning to Spiro was the best thing I ever did. Warning: It WILL get worse before it gets better!!! My skin was the worst it ever was the first two weeks starting it. But it slowly started clearing (noticable results within 2 months), and now after 6 months my skin is the best it's been in years! I take this in conjunction with clindamyacin (which I've been on for 10 years). Stick with it!!! It WILL get better!"

Woman in her mid-20s February 1, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"female adult in 50's with ongoing acne for entire life. Hormonal acne, tired of having skin problems and to wear make up to cover scars and breakouts. Have been on this medication for 8 months, no side affects. 100mg per day. No new breakouts have occurred, but still waiting for previous breakouts to completely clear up. Scarring still obvious and not the beautiful skin that I thought was going to happen. My main goal was to be able to go make-up free....not yet. I guess the plus is no new breakouts happening. Will continue for a complete year to see final results."

2017face (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 27, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was give. Spironolactone by my gynocologist for adult acne. I took the medication for 2 months and it did help somewhat with my hormonal acne. The only side effect I expeirenced was break through bleeding, but it was so extreme I decided to stop using the medication. It was like I was on my period every two days. The bleeding was not just spotting, it was full blown menstral cycle bleeding. It was to the point that I had to wear coverage daily because I never knew when it would start or stop. I know two months doesn't seem like a long time but to me the acne I had was not worth going through that everyday."

Anonymous January 21, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been taking spironolactone for a month now for my acne conglobata and it is as if I have been taking nothing at all. Some the symptoms I have had are depression, fatigue, drowsiness, hand and feet tingling and itchy, confusion, and just an out of it feeling in general."

Crystagail January 2, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"After turning 30, I started getting severe red painful cysts along my jawline, cheeks, and forehead. They would last forever, and would not go down with any topical treatments. I had my androgen levels checked and they were 3x the normal limit. Around this time, I was also having trouble maintaining my weight (5'4" around 120lb), my skin became really oily, and I felt fatigued all the time. I'm very active and eat very healthy so something was going on. I started Spironolactone 25mg - 2 tablets twice daily (three times daily around the time of my cycle), and it's as if I am a new person. The initial breakouts took about 3 months to completely go away, but now I have energy, no weight issues and no acne!"

RPhWD (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 28, 2016

23 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I'm a 25 year old female and I suffered terrible acne for a long time, then it went away for a few years. Suddenly back in September 2016 I started to break out again in those painful cysts around my jawline, where I had never broke out before. Spiro helped me many years before so I started taking it again. First week 25 mg and then 50 mg. Had the notorious "Initial Breakout" but after that cleared up (took 2 months) I've been good ever since! It's nice not waking up each morning to find new painful cysts under my chin! Love it. It has caused some dizziness but I'll take that over a pimply, painful face any day. Be patient, this drug takes a while. Worth it though."

Maddie32 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 26, 2016

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I usually suffer from cystic acne on my cheeks, RARELY on my chin or forehead. I never really considered my acne to be hormonal because in the summer I have clear skin, but when I go back to college I break out. I've been on the same BC for about 4 years btw. I went to my dermatologist and she prescribed me 25 mg daily of spiro. I stuck with it for 7 weeks, but here I am at 7 weeks looking WORSE than ever before!! I have break outs in places I never had before. I would rather have dealt with my mild cystic acne on my cheeks than this stuff. I know it works for a lot of people, but clearly not for everyone. This past week I've been severely depressed due to just how terrible my skin looks. I'm discontinuing the use of spiro."

acnesux0231 December 9, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"When I started taking a hormonal birth control pill my skin broke out worse than it ever had before. I tried antibiotics, switching birth control pills, but nothing worked. Then finally after about 7 or 8 months, my dermatologist prescribed me spironolactone (two 25 mg pills in the morning and one at night), and after a few months my skin was completely clear. I use prescription topical creams for my acne as well, but I can definitely say that spironolactone has made a world of difference for my skin. I don't ever want to stop taking it! The only minor side effects I noticed were increased thirst and slight dryness in my normally oily skin, but after taking it for about a month they went away!"

cass2238965 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 6, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I took Spiro for a total of 6 months for moderate hormonal acne around the jawline. I started off taking 25mg for the first 6 weeks, and had a bad break out, than I increased to 50mg and had another bad breakout. My skin only got worse using this medication and scarred easily and I got acne in places that I never got before. Also in the beginning I felt very tired and in a brain fog but got used to it I guess, since I have been off the medication for only 5 days I feel so much more awake and without it. I was wondering why I was getting so forgetful, and now I realize it was the brain fog from the medication. Also made my skin very saggy and since being off it for only 5 days it has already improved. Only plus for me was I lost 3 poun"

Acnespiro November 30, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"21 yo female. I love it. I am on 75 mg and it has had the intended effects of reducing cystic acne and oil. The acne got a lot worse around 2 weeks, but the break out healed a lot faster than usual. It is now 4 weeks and the break out is almost completely healed and there are no new cysts! It has also had other welcome side effects of thicker hair on my scalp/less shedding, leg hair growing in really slow, pubic hair on my upper thighs and facial hair on chin growing a lot less and not coming back in after plucking. Only bad effects are headaches at first (drink water!) and spotting even though I'm on BC. I'm going to ask about doing 50 mg for longer before coming back up to see if I can get rid of the spotting. Besides spotting, 10/10!"

ZPorrrr (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 29, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Spiro decreased some oil in my face, but also did the following: way more jaw/chin pimples, neck acne for the first time in my life, a sudden back breakout after having a 90% clear skin for 2 years [and lovely PIH I get to deal with now], dehydrated my face to the point of looking older, tiny weird whiteheads and cc's on my cheeks/forehead, and even more troubling, HAIR LOSS just 2 weeks in. I only took 50 mg/day, but by week 2 my brows, nose hairs and eyelashes began falling out. I've lost about 30 some hairs total in a week. I'm lucky I have thick lashes and brows, or else I'd look patchy. I weaned down to 25 and stopped today and voila...no shedding. It was Spiro's fault...moving on. :("

queenofheart8 November 27, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Like a couple other users have mentioned, I started out on a small dose and this drug cleared my acne within two weeks. I am 43 and have been on this medication for 4 months, after 20+ years of failure to control my acne. I have tried everything. I had moderate acne with constant blemishes and cyclical nodular breakouts. I was also always red and so oily that my face would look wet. Now my skin looks like I've never had a pimple. I take 50 mg a day and recommend talking to your doctor about starting on a low dose like this. I have had zero side effects and am nothing short of thrilled with the results."

Starbelly (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 23, 2016

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been taking 50 mg dose for about 2 months now. At first I noticed a huge diff but now it doesn't seem to be working at all. If I get a pimple it does go in about a day but they are still coming so far. I'm itchy all the time and dizzy. It doesn't bother me but that has gotten worse. Not sure what some women say on it taking their sex drive away. I'm totally abstinent and its increased mine to where its annoying. So I'm guessing it was something else with those others. I pee more but not aweful. I'll give it another 3 months to clear my skin before I use Accutane."

ann1221 November 22, 2016