User Reviews for Spironolactone

Also known as: Aldactone

Learn more about Spironolactone.

Spironolactone Rating Summary

8.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 438 medications used in the treatment of Acne.

Reviews for Spironolactone to treat Acne

"I had HORRIBLE cystic acne on my chin - i'm talking 20 huge cystic pimples on my chin at any given time - no amount of makeup could cover it up. It was causing me major concern and depression. My Derm put me on Accutane that worked fairly well (aside from bloody noses and extremely dry skin) but as soon as I finished Accutane, my acne came back with a vengeance. So I went back to my Dermatologist and she put me on Spironolactone. She told me the pills could take up to 2-3 months to take any effect BUT here's the thing: it worked STRAIGHT away! I'm telling you - I took 2 pills! One on Sunday then another on Monday and by Tuesday my pimples were almost gone! I honestly think this is some sort of miracle pill...it's changed my life."

ClaireHil February 13, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I've been on this a month now for my acne given by my dermatologist. I also use epiduo and aczone. Been on epiduo since I was 15 and it was a miracle worker for all these years. When I stopped taking birth control epiduo wasn't enough to keep my acne away. So my dermatologist gave me this medicine 50mg a day. Haven't seen a big change honestly. My back acne has cleared up but on my face I'm still always having at least 2 pimples. Sounds like nothing but it's annoying to get rid of a pimple and two more pop up in an immediate cycle. I'm going to see my dermatologist tomorrow for a check in and hopefully she ups the dose or something. I've heard this medicine takes a while to work though usually around 3rd month is when you see results"

Camilleeeee20 February 11, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"As anyone taken Spironolactone for cystic adult acne, and experienced throat spasms called Cricopharyngeal Spasm? It occurred around the same time I was experiencing tightness in the test. I only administered the drug for 4 weeks but the side effects have persisted."

Denise_Lef (taken for less than 1 month) February 9, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I started this medicine while breaking out with severe cystic acne for my adult life. I took this medicine for the past year, 1 year total. My face cleared up, but I gained 25 lbs in one year. No other medicine changes. I could deal with the weight, but when I came to the ER with terrible abdominal pain, I knew something was wrong. I have an ovarian cyst now, and have to hope it doesn't rupture. Make sure you are willing to accept the risks of having clear skin, as this can apparently happen to anyone who takes spironolactone."

Nicki_Betty (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 3, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I have been on Spironolactone 50 mg a day now since August 2016. After being blessed with clear skin the majority of my adult years, I suddenly was stricken with deep, painful acne, all over my checks, mouth and forehead. I originally tried doxy for three months with little to no success. Transitioning to Spiro was the best thing I ever did. Warning: It WILL get worse before it gets better!!! My skin was the worst it ever was the first two weeks starting it. But it slowly started clearing (noticable results within 2 months), and now after 6 months my skin is the best it's been in years! I take this in conjunction with clindamyacin (which I've been on for 10 years). Stick with it!!! It WILL get better!"

Woman in her mid-20s February 1, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"female adult in 50's with ongoing acne for entire life. Hormonal acne, tired of having skin problems and to wear make up to cover scars and breakouts. Have been on this medication for 8 months, no side affects. 100mg per day. No new breakouts have occurred, but still waiting for previous breakouts to completely clear up. Scarring still obvious and not the beautiful skin that I thought was going to happen. My main goal was to be able to go make-up free....not yet. I guess the plus is no new breakouts happening. Will continue for a complete year to see final results."

2017face (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 27, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I was give. Spironolactone by my gynocologist for adult acne. I took the medication for 2 months and it did help somewhat with my hormonal acne. The only side effect I expeirenced was break through bleeding, but it was so extreme I decided to stop using the medication. It was like I was on my period every two days. The bleeding was not just spotting, it was full blown menstral cycle bleeding. It was to the point that I had to wear coverage daily because I never knew when it would start or stop. I know two months doesn't seem like a long time but to me the acne I had was not worth going through that everyday."

Anonymous January 21, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I have been taking spironolactone for a month now for my acne conglobata and it is as if I have been taking nothing at all. Some the symptoms I have had are depression, fatigue, drowsiness, hand and feet tingling and itchy, confusion, and just an out of it feeling in general."

Crystagail January 2, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"After turning 30, I started getting severe red painful cysts along my jawline, cheeks, and forehead. They would last forever, and would not go down with any topical treatments. I had my androgen levels checked and they were 3x the normal limit. Around this time, I was also having trouble maintaining my weight (5'4" around 120lb), my skin became really oily, and I felt fatigued all the time. I'm very active and eat very healthy so something was going on. I started Spironolactone 25mg - 2 tablets twice daily (three times daily around the time of my cycle), and it's as if I am a new person. The initial breakouts took about 3 months to completely go away, but now I have energy, no weight issues and no acne!"

RPhWD (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 28, 2016

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I'm a 25 year old female and I suffered terrible acne for a long time, then it went away for a few years. Suddenly back in September 2016 I started to break out again in those painful cysts around my jawline, where I had never broke out before. Spiro helped me many years before so I started taking it again. First week 25 mg and then 50 mg. Had the notorious "Initial Breakout" but after that cleared up (took 2 months) I've been good ever since! It's nice not waking up each morning to find new painful cysts under my chin! Love it. It has caused some dizziness but I'll take that over a pimply, painful face any day. Be patient, this drug takes a while. Worth it though."

Maddie32 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 26, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I usually suffer from cystic acne on my cheeks, RARELY on my chin or forehead. I never really considered my acne to be hormonal because in the summer I have clear skin, but when I go back to college I break out. I've been on the same BC for about 4 years btw. I went to my dermatologist and she prescribed me 25 mg daily of spiro. I stuck with it for 7 weeks, but here I am at 7 weeks looking WORSE than ever before!! I have break outs in places I never had before. I would rather have dealt with my mild cystic acne on my cheeks than this stuff. I know it works for a lot of people, but clearly not for everyone. This past week I've been severely depressed due to just how terrible my skin looks. I'm discontinuing the use of spiro."

acnesux0231 December 9, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"When I started taking a hormonal birth control pill my skin broke out worse than it ever had before. I tried antibiotics, switching birth control pills, but nothing worked. Then finally after about 7 or 8 months, my dermatologist prescribed me spironolactone (two 25 mg pills in the morning and one at night), and after a few months my skin was completely clear. I use prescription topical creams for my acne as well, but I can definitely say that spironolactone has made a world of difference for my skin. I don't ever want to stop taking it! The only minor side effects I noticed were increased thirst and slight dryness in my normally oily skin, but after taking it for about a month they went away!"

cass2238965 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 6, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I took Spiro for a total of 6 months for moderate hormonal acne around the jawline. I started off taking 25mg for the first 6 weeks, and had a bad break out, than I increased to 50mg and had another bad breakout. My skin only got worse using this medication and scarred easily and I got acne in places that I never got before. Also in the beginning I felt very tired and in a brain fog but got used to it I guess, since I have been off the medication for only 5 days I feel so much more awake and without it. I was wondering why I was getting so forgetful, and now I realize it was the brain fog from the medication. Also made my skin very saggy and since being off it for only 5 days it has already improved. Only plus for me was I lost 3 poun"

Acnespiro November 30, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"21 yo female. I love it. I am on 75 mg and it has had the intended effects of reducing cystic acne and oil. The acne got a lot worse around 2 weeks, but the break out healed a lot faster than usual. It is now 4 weeks and the break out is almost completely healed and there are no new cysts! It has also had other welcome side effects of thicker hair on my scalp/less shedding, leg hair growing in really slow, pubic hair on my upper thighs and facial hair on chin growing a lot less and not coming back in after plucking. Only bad effects are headaches at first (drink water!) and spotting even though I'm on BC. I'm going to ask about doing 50 mg for longer before coming back up to see if I can get rid of the spotting. Besides spotting, 10/10!"

ZPorrrr (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 29, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Spiro decreased some oil in my face, but also did the following: way more jaw/chin pimples, neck acne for the first time in my life, a sudden back breakout after having a 90% clear skin for 2 years [and lovely PIH I get to deal with now], dehydrated my face to the point of looking older, tiny weird whiteheads and cc's on my cheeks/forehead, and even more troubling, HAIR LOSS just 2 weeks in. I only took 50 mg/day, but by week 2 my brows, nose hairs and eyelashes began falling out. I've lost about 30 some hairs total in a week. I'm lucky I have thick lashes and brows, or else I'd look patchy. I weaned down to 25 and stopped today and voila...no shedding. It was Spiro's fault...moving on. :("

queenofheart8 November 27, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Like a couple other users have mentioned, I started out on a small dose and this drug cleared my acne within two weeks. I am 43 and have been on this medication for 4 months, after 20+ years of failure to control my acne. I have tried everything. I had moderate acne with constant blemishes and cyclical nodular breakouts. I was also always red and so oily that my face would look wet. Now my skin looks like I've never had a pimple. I take 50 mg a day and recommend talking to your doctor about starting on a low dose like this. I have had zero side effects and am nothing short of thrilled with the results."

Starbelly (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 23, 2016

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I've been taking 50 mg dose for about 2 months now. At first I noticed a huge diff but now it doesn't seem to be working at all. If I get a pimple it does go in about a day but they are still coming so far. I'm itchy all the time and dizzy. It doesn't bother me but that has gotten worse. Not sure what some women say on it taking their sex drive away. I'm totally abstinent and its increased mine to where its annoying. So I'm guessing it was something else with those others. I pee more but not aweful. I'll give it another 3 months to clear my skin before I use Accutane."

ann1221 November 22, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Pay attention to the dose for researching those who have experienced negative side effects. Many (although not all) of those with those unfortunate experiences started out at high doses (100mg+) My experience has been nothing short of a MIRACLE. **Brief history* I have suffered horribly with acne since the age of 15. I am now 42. I have tried everything from toothpaste tricks to antibacterial drugs (Bactrim) to Proactive. Nothing worked. Not even Yaz. I was a mess. I would break out viciously with each cycle and have different stages of old & new acne. THIS STOPPED IT IN ONE WEEK. 25 mg, twice daily- ZERO SIDE EFFECTS. Do it at this dose & you might get the same results!!"

Adult Acne Survivor (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 20, 2016

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"My fellow PSOC victims- this stuff WORKS!! Having a hormone imbalance sucks but you have to fight hormonal acne at the source; creams and even antibiotics won't work because those aren't the cause of our acne. I read up on spironolactone and it's an androgen blocker - when women have too much of the male-specific hormones those hormones go to our neck, jaw, and cheeks because that's where men grow beards. Crazy huh? I'm 27, been battling with HA since 21ish. Tried everything, seriously.. been on 50mg/day for the first 3 weeks and am now on my 5th week of 100mg/day and I am happy to say I'm acne free- just those lovely scars now :/ but hey, one step at a time right? :) only side effect for me is peeing a lot."

Bell_Berry November 18, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I'm 25, active, healthy eater, thin, no milk since starting. I usually have a break out every 10 days. Two terribly painful acne bumps or a regular red zit that I can't help but bother. I have been to the best derms in New York for YEARS. Pretty sure my acne was due to stress and hormones. All I know is that my gyno put me on 50mg of Spiro and my acne started changing. 3 months in I still was breaking out every 10-14 days, but they were smaller and less painful. THEN I got a little curious about taking more. After a chat with gyno I went from 50-75-100mg. It's been 5 months of no cystic acne. Yes I'll get a little blemish, but I will take it. It's not consuming my life. CAREFUL! Go up in doses slowly. Will make you dizzy/lower your BP"

Sofia Marina November 8, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Started breaking out at 21yrs, been dealing with cystic acne for 4 years. I'm now 25 and been on Spiro100mg for 5 mths, best decision I ever made! I tried everything from topical creams, face wash, home remedies, was on other antibiotics that did not work! I did not want to take accutane because of the long term effects it has left some people with. Within 2 months being on Spiro I noticed a big difference! I have not experience yet any side effects and did not experience an initial breakout. My face is super clean, not perfect (redness) but acne free and I'm more than fine with that. I'm scared to discontinue spiro because it gave me my confidence back but I know eventually I have to discontinue and praying for the best. Nothing neg to say"

Jdzm November 4, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I have been taking Spironolactone 100 MG everyday now for the past 3 months. My face broke out under my neck area and this has cleared it up tremendously. I don't notice any side affects and I already pee a-lot because I drink lot's of water. I am also using Rodin and Fields Skin Care and i use Epiduo Forte Gel as well. My face looks amazing now and is very soft. Definitely works very well!"

JeanneW88 November 3, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I've only been on spiro for three weeks, but it has seriously made SUCH a difference already! I'm on BC so I don't feel the effects of mid-cycle spotting so that's a plus. But, when I first started spiro, my existing cystic breakout on my cheeks got so, so much worse (red, bumpy, painful). Now, my skin is calm. The marks from the awful breakout are still there and tiny bumps are going down, but it is 85% better than before. I'm on two topicals as well, so perhaps all in conjunction are doing wonders for my skin. I'm so happy, though. I'm 21 in a new city and haven't had a cystic breakout like this in at least 3-4 years. It's great to think my skin could get even better than this...."

cberryb October 31, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I love this stuff. Ive been taking it for 1.5 mths for acne. Ive tried everything to get my acne under control and nothing helped. I was nervous to use it as I read the reviews and many people say it caused them to gain weight. Im in a wedding in Nov and I've been working hard to LOSE weight so I would be really upset if these meds caused me to gain. But after 1.5 mths my skin is flawless. I go to work without foundation for the first time in my life. And I've lost 10 pounds! Ive surpassed my goal for the wedding! It also really surpresses my apitite and they taste like mint! Only con is they make me feel really sick if I take them on an empty stomach so make sure to eat first. I didn't even have an issue with frequent urination."

Jayne1988 October 23, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I always had perfect skin as a teen until I hit about 24 then it went down hill. Nothing worked, most topical treatments made it worse, Proactive made it worse than worse, Murade and others as well. Nothing worked. Sooo I researched spiro and found my symptoms and timing etc. fit others my age, 37 that dealt with it late in life. I asked my Dermatologist about it and she gave it to me along with a topical gel. I have only been on it about 1 week but I can see the difference already. My skin is evening out, the large pores seem smaller and the hard bumps are nearly gone. I have not had one break out and even my back is much clearer. It is amazing. I don't pee too much more but I do find I get out of breath easily. Seems to be working on my skin"

Sam11211031 October 23, 2016