User Reviews for Spironolactone

Also known as: Aldactone, CaroSpir

Learn more about Spironolactone.

Spironolactone Rating Summary

7.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 402 medications used in the treatment of Acne.

Reviews for Spironolactone to treat Acne

"Honestly- I tried seriously every single OTC and prescription acne product there was to try. Both before and after I had a baby. I’m 24 and this is THE wonder drug. I’ve been taking spirinolactone for 7 months and I’m almost positive I never want to stop. I can tell you I had the worst cystic acne there ever was, every other day I had a new one and this went on for months where I wouldn’t even leave the house unless it was to get it injected- I’m also an avid picker and had terribly low self esteem . Anywho- if you’re able to take this medication— I would try because it might be the wonder drug for you too."

Dani123456 October 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on Spironolactone for 1 monuth. My face has some cystic acne yet, but it's ​now smaller than before. Everyone says it takes ​time to get better... You should wait at least 3 months​ to see the effects. But the problem is my self confidence. I think whenever​ I'm talking with someone, she just looks at my pimples. If I work on self confidence, most of the problems would be solved automatically. Even I wouldn't have any problem with my face. Having acne isn't worse than other problems like Cancer or sickness. I am just thankful for being healthy."

Nikiii September 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I only took spiro 100mg for 10 days it was working but I was ill. After 4 days I was so dizzy with tachycardia, a year after stopping I still have the tachycardia... has anyone else suffered with this please?"

Cake252 September 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Because I wanted results and I wanted them fast. I turned to all of the natural products to cure acne like apple cider vinegar and rose water and tea tree oil etc. Honestly I can for sure tell you I was making my skin worse. I was like heavily exfoliating every night and then putting hella oils on my skin and I didn't even know I was ruining it. My skin got super bad around finals and then didn't really get much better until spring break but then it bounced back and was worse than ever. It was the worst it's ever been at the beginning of summer so I went to the derm finally and got this stuff and no joke I haven't seen a zit on my face in so long it's just scars and my skin is like glowy just honestly try this it works 10/10 fam."

myoldskincantcometothephonern (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started having severe hormonal acne when I used dianne contraceptive pill. So after 3months, I stopped taking it. My acne became worst, like it was the only thing people focus on when I'm talking to them. I became hopeless and depressed. I searched online and found out about SPiro so I gave it a shot. Started on 50mg for 1 month then I'm on 100mg now. I'm on my 10th month on Spiro this week. I just noticed a few changes like my back acne clearing up, yet my facial acne (around 20pcs) is still there. They say it takes 3 months or more to see the results so I'm still crossing my fingers for this. Will update soon."

Julie_0722 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Since I'm now in my 30s and always take good care of my skin, my doctor thought my acne was probably hormone related so she wanted me to try spironolactone, 2 pills a day. She said it takes 3 months to start noticing a difference, however, I didn't get that far to see if there would be one, I quit at the 2 month mark due to all the side effects I was experiencing. Those side effects included the typical ones, such as upset stomach, dizziness and very low energy/drowsiness. Then more serious: upper lip numbness, rapid weight gain, cellulite & horrible breast pain. Not worth it."

CAgirl23 August 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Try it. My doctor prescribed 50mg and then upped me to 100mg in 2 months time. Haven't had a zit since he upped me to 100mg. Which is a miracle in itself. I woke up with a new zit every morning for 2 years. I use this along with an antibiotic, RetinA and a sulfur based leave on gel (all prescriptions). My life has changed dramatically. I still have scars but they get lighter once your acne inflammation goes down. Good luck!"

Stephens00000n (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am a teenage girl who suffers with hair growth on my face and bad acne and after 6 months of taking this medicine I'm so beyond relieved that my acne is completely gone and my hair growth is a lot less. I HIGHly recommend this medication to anyone with similar issues!!"

Chimmy chonga July 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed this medication to deal with having break outs monthly on my chin from hormones. I've been taking this for only a week. Let me tell you first that my body is very responsive to anything I put in it. I usually have one, MAX two bumps per month on my chin, in one week I literally have FIVE knot pimples on my chin. Not a big deal to you, but I'm 28 and have been super consistent with my breakouts, I have them down to a science. I'll be discontinuing this medication as of today. Sad because I truly had high hopes for future super clear skin, I'm glad it showed itself early."

jennyaus July 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on 50 mg for a week now. My skin is less oily and I have fewer whiteheads. My skin broke out a little more the first three days then it not normally does but nothing bad. I was worried to take this but it seems to be helping with my hormonal acne around my chin and cheeks."

rhdsmith (taken for less than 1 month) July 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Great medication for oily skin. My skin was oily bad till I started this medication. Glad I discovered it."

Amw1985 June 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have battled acne since high school, and it is one of my biggest insecurities. I try to stay away from harsh drugs and topical treatments, so when my doctor prescribed spironolactone, I went for it. My experience with the drug was not great. It did not improve my acne in the slightest and it caused me to lose 10 pounds without any change to my diet or any increase in exercise. Overall I would not recommend this, as I saw no change in my skin. I took this medication for 3 months."

sophduf (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have always had annoying acne which wasn't terrible but wasn't fixed by birth control. I quit taking birth control and my doctor prescribed spiro instead. I've been on it for almost two years with only one or two little pimples per cycle. I also noticed that the switch gave me a slow steady body change. I've lost about 15 pounds over the two years without any other changes in diet or exercise. It made me a little thirstier than usual, so I'm drinking more water than I used to. No other terrible side effects like others have reported though. Overall very happy with the switch and would recommend for sure."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Ever since my teenage years I always had problems with hormonal acne. It wasn't too extreme but it still affected my self esteem. My first year of college is when I really broke out bad with cystic acne out of NOWHERE. I wanted to wear a paper bag over my head 24/7. I barely wanted to make eye contact with anyone. I was so embarrassed of my face to the point where I stopped going to class, social events & work. I tried doxy, minoclycline & much more but nothing would work... Felt hopeless. My dermo then thought it might potentially be due to my hormones, which then she prescribed me Spironolactone. It takes AWHILE to kick in but trust me its worth it. I rarely break out now. Couldn't be more happier and confident.This medicine is a blessing"

Gabes (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I promised myself that if this medication ended up working I would write a review and tell others. Well, glad to report it did! I never had acne until one day at 23 hormonal acne crashed the party. It stupidly took me a really long time to realize nothing over the counter was ever going to cut it. I started on 50 mg spirolactone but got impatient, even though this is a medication that I knew going in takes a long time to reach full efficacy. After a month I started taking 100mg. After 2.5 months of feeling like there was no difference it completely changed. I have not had a cystic pimple or breakout for weeks, my skin reminds me of how it was before this insanity began. Even worth the very annoying side effects that come with diuretics."

quinng143 May 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My experience with this drug was extremely negative. I gained about 30 pounds, became anxious and depressed, was extremely tired and sluggish, and ate at least 4 meals/day. I became a very sad and narrow minded person and strayed from my parents and friends. It didn't help my acne at all so please look for any other alternative before taking this. It's not worth it and there are so many better alternatives to this."

Badexperience422 May 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was on SPIRONOLACTONE for years and my immune system got really weak. I started to have fatigue all the time and my NK cells were so low they didn't even register. I stopped taking it and within 5 to 6 months my acne got worse than before I was on it. I had bad cystic acne on my face and back. So after being off for a year and a half I thought I would give it another shot. It only took about 4 months and my blood pressure dropped down to 83/55. No wonder why I felt like I was dying. I am now doing cleanse to rid my body of all the toxins that are trying to come out of my skin. That's due to my liver not being able to keep up. It is really depressing having acne this bad but I would rather be alive than have to deal with that again."

Raschelle (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This medicine is a miracle for hormonal acne. And I have normal testosterone levels. This works just as well to helped me shed annoying water weight. I have experienced a couple side effects such as breast tenderness (but they look fuller which is a plus) and fatigue, also a slightly shorter cycle. I'll eat with all of the above rather than have acne though!! Started at 50 mg and after 2 months moved to 100 mg (split in two doses per day) and THATS when I really started noticing a difference. I'm at 3 months now and finally almost all the way clear! Have patience!! This med works very slowly and you need to start at a low dose and work up. It's so worth it!"

Rspohn (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started a 25mg dosage of spironolactone on the 24th of March 2017. Therefore, I've been on this dosage for 2.5 months. In addition to my 25mg spironolactone dosage, I am also on the Yasmin contraceptive pill. The first 2 months of spironolactone were terrible. I was prepared for this (having read others' experiences on these boards) but it was truly difficult. Spironolactone seemed my last port of call for hormonal acne and I was so frightened it just wouldn't work. Around a week ago, however, things started changing and my skin has definitely started clearing up. I've had no new cysts forming and I anticipate my skin looking even better in a few weeks from now. My pores will always be big but I'm hopeful the acne at least can stop."

RadhaK May 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I used to have really severe cystic acne that was unresponsive to anything else. I was too scared to take Accutane and spiro was like my last resort. I have a olive/tan skin tone, so I'm prone to hyper pigmentation/scarring. I've been taking 50 mg consistently and I've noticed a dramatic difference in my skin. The only side effect that remained was increased urgency to pee and my cycle shortened (although I'm still regular). You really have to be patient with this drug. I noticed a dramatic difference in my acne straightaway. Also when I do get a pimple now, it goes away a lot faster. My skin isn't 100% perfect, but it's so much better. I've wanted to increase the dose, but I think I'm happy with my skin as it is now."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I take 50 mg of Spironolactone twice daily for acne. My experience is very positive. Initially, I noticed light-headedness and pronounced diuretic effects. Lost a couple of pounds of water weight. Appetite and weight gain/loss are not affected. My skin cleared within two to three weeks. I occasionally have a small pimple or blackhead that goes away in a day or two. My periods are very irregular. I think since I started taking this drug I've had one "real" period requiring the use of tampons. I do randomly spot/bleed from time to time. No mental health effects so far. If anything, I feel more stable due to the lack of periods and PMS."

Meelynn April 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I made a youtube video showing the progress of how my skin reacted to spiro. It definitely takes patience it's not something that's going to work overnight. And this isn't a long term fix unless you plan to stay on the pills forever. This pill is a diuretic so it gave me a very dry mouth and I had to pee more than I'd like to. It definitely cleared up my skin while I was on it though. If you have hormonal acne and nothing else is working for you I would recommend trying it. "

AshleyK24 April 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was on Diane 35 for seven yrs (15-23 my skin was amazing) What I didn't realize was that Diane Caused me to gain a lot of weight, I put it on almost immediately (age 15) and struggled with weight issues and an eating disorder. When I stopped Diane at 23 to have kids, I quickly lost about 15 lbs (5lbs of water) and my insane appetite as well. After children I wanted to go back on Diane for nice skin. I promptly gained the weight, eating issues returned! So I quit and decided to try spiro. 25 mg once a day. My skin started clearing immediately but Within 3 weeks I had weight gain, aged 5 yrs, along with other horrible side effects! Since quitting for two days I feel myself again! I'll stick with Skin Ceuticals Acne Kit and zinc supplements!!"

bboo (taken for less than 1 month) March 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have dealt with acne on my face and back for years. I was on birth control pills for a time that cleared my skin up completely, but I hated how the pills made me feel. I then got the skyla IUD which didn't mess with my head, but didn't do anything for my acne. Big surprise: it all came back. On my face and especially on my back. I went to the derm and they put me on Spiro 100mg a day. It has taken at least 4 months to see my results. I will occasionally get a zit on my face and back, but its nothing like it was before. They are just a red bump that lasts only a couple of days. I wish I started this medication from the beginning instead of spending so much money on literally every OTC product out there."

NikkiNik March 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am 38 y/o female and started spironolactone about a month after coming off of 7 months of accutane. Accutane cleared my skin while on it, but within a couple weeks of stopping, out comes my cystic acne. My Derm prescribed Spiro and within 1 week of starting at 25mg p/d I experienced sore stiff joints from my finger joints to my knees, extreme fatigue, and weight gain. I lasted three weeks before the 4lbs. gained went any higher and the joint stiffness got to the point where exercising started to become painful. The extreme dryness especially the constant dry chapped lips while on Accutane now seem like a cake walk compared to the multitude of side effects from this medicine. I will just have to get the cysts injected everytime now."

Gerbgirl (taken for less than 1 month) March 17, 2017