User Reviews for Spironolactone to treat Acne

Also known as: Aldactone, CaroSpir

Spironolactone Rating Summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 389 medications used in the treatment of Acne.

Reviews for Spironolactone

"6 months ago, I suddenly had acne all over my face, back and neck. Nothing I tried work including cutting sweets out of my diet. I finally went to my dermatologist. She suggested Spironolactone(100mg in the morning and 50mg at night). I also use aczone and tretinoin. The first month was awful. My skin dried out so badly, it would bruise. I ended up with as much hyperpigmentation and I had acne. After taking it for 2.5 months, I started to notice a difference. My skin was recovering quicker after I popped a zit and wasn't breaking out in red as much. It has been almost 3 months and I am finally starting to see significant results. I still have about 3-5 zits but they are much smaller and I feel confident enough to go outside without make up caked on my face (something I haven't been able to do for over 6 months). If you are in the first few months of the medication, don't give up hope!"

Soubrette June 11, 2019

"I started spironolactone two years ago for hormonal acne along my jawline and neck. I also had excessively oily skin and some random dark hairs growing on my chest and around my breasts. I started on 25mg, then 50mg, then up to 100mg (sometimes I go back down to 50mg for maintenance for a few months and increase back up to 100mg if symptoms start to reappear. My doctor approved this). It took a long time to start working, at least three months before I saw any change, with full results at around six months. I've had very little side effects that I can tell. I still have slightly oily skin, large pores, some very mild acne once a month and I still get a few dark hairs on my breasts sometimes. I'm ok with this as I know oily skin ages slower. However, I rarely get any hormonal acne on my jawline and I don't get any dark hair on my chest anymore (maybe one hair appears every six months that I just pluck) so I'm really happy with this medication. I'm only on 50mg at the moment."

Emma (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 23, 2019

"I have been on Spirolactone for 8 weeks. Overall, my skin is much clearer. I have not had any cystic nodules since I started. The first few weeks, I had increased urination but that has since stopped. Any blemishes I have quickly disappear. I am very happy with the results so far. I take 50 mg in the morning and 50mg at night."

acswi (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 22, 2019

"Spironolactone has been a blessing! I have the Mirena IUD and was prescribed by my GP for some small spiky hairs and acne that we believed to be triggered by Mirena. However I love the Mirena apart from those little problems so we looked to Spirolactone. I've only been taking 50mg a day, and have noticed good results. My skin is so much clearer, I've had way less Mr. Spikes and MY BOOBS ARE BIGGER. This is amazing for me considering I am a very petite girl. Side-effects have been very small, I had some shakiness the first week and do need the bathroom more but nothing major. I expect to stay on it a long time."

Lili (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 15, 2019

"I am never someone to write reviews, but spironolactone really is the only medicine that has ever get rid of my acne, it really works. I am a 29 year old female that has struggled acne most of my life. I am now 7 months in and only have scars and some pigmentation. if you are woman that has a lot of acne here near your jawline this is definitely what you want to try! I'm so grateful for this pill! To echo what others have said it really does take three or four months to start working so be patient even though it's really hard."

Dp (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 8, 2019

"I got a prescription for spirolactone 50mg a day to treat my hormonal acne (been on accutane 3 times before). It really did get worse before it got better for the first two months- jaw and chin breakouts and extreme dry patches. However in month 3 I could see a big improvement. I started using Eucerin's adjunctive soothing cream during the day and continued with differin at night and holding thumbs that it get even better from now on."

Miss M (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 3, 2019

"The year I turned 21, my acne became unbearable. I did not even want to leave the house. I would cry about it almost every day. My dermatologist prescribed me 100mg of spironolactone and tretinoin cream. The first two months were terrible. I knew I was purging, but it felt like my acne was never going to get better. It drastically affected my mood and I turned down plans left and right because I did not want to see anyone. Every morning before any of my college roommates woke up, I would run to the bathroom to cover my acne so no one would see. I even broke down in tears in front of my friends because I was so frustrated. Fast forward to 4 months later and my skin is CLEAR. I am so happy it is almost difficult to explain. My advice is to be patient. Just know that it really does take 4 months but after that, you will feel like a new person."

Jane April 29, 2019

"Going on the second week of this taking spirolactone for my acne at a dose of only 12.5mg because I have blood pressure at the low end of normal. Since yesterday I’ve been feeling slightly nauseous and brain fog all day and I didn’t take my dose for today. I don’t know if it’s from the medication or what but I’m too nervous to take it anymore. It hasn’t done anything for my acne yet but I don’t know if taking it longer it would have helped or not but I’m too scared to risk it. I really wanted this to work because I’m not one to want to be put on birth control. Maybe I’ll try it again once I feel better to see if it actually was the medication making me feel sick like this or something else."

AnonymousAnonymous April 24, 2019

"Spironolactone has worked miracles for me! I had to go off of birth control pills last July for health reasons. By August my face would have at least 30 breakouts at all times. I have struggled with acne since I was 12, I am now 25. I took accutane when I was 18 but the acne just came back. Birth control helped but did not clear my skin. I started on 25mg of spironolactone in August and then went up to 50 mg in October. I am 5’7” 115lbs so my dermatologist wanted to start me off slow to adjust. The dermatologist then increased my dose to 150 mg in December and then to 200mg in February. I did not see any results until the first of March so it took 8 month for it to help me. Now in April, I am completely clear. I haven’t had a breakout for 6 weeks! Spironolactone is amazing. I’m so glad I stuck it out and did not quit taking when it was not helping for so long. I plan to cut down to 100-150mg to maintain."

Luna April 21, 2019

"I am currently 21 and until I was about 19, I was one of those people who had annoyingly clear skin. I started to breakout on my cheeks, chin, and jawline. I was in and out of the derm (who kind of sucked at her job in hindsight) for the past two years taking topical antibiotics, retinoids, and trying and hating minocycline. I really had a gut feeling it was all hormonal so I was prescribed spiro (finally). I have been on this pill almost six months now and I am probably 80/90% clear now. Around 2/3 months I broke out really bad and was honestly scared to keep taking it. I stuck it out and about a month later started to see results. I haven't got a real cysts since the 3 month mark. I am way less oily and feel like I'm way more in control of my skin. It's definitely not perfect yet but there's progress. So don't be discouraged!! It can take our bodies a long time to adjust and process hormones. Everyone is different! Be patient and in the meantime try to stay active and eat healthy."

Anonymous April 15, 2019

"When I first started taking spironolactone my skin cleared instantly and it is perfect clear 5 months later. However- 3 months after taking it I had to get my gallbladder removed from severe attacks and stomach pains. I looked it up and there were lawsuits on this as a side effect. No acne pill is worth the pain I have went through (and am still going through)"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 10, 2019

"I started this medication January 17th. My dermatologist said it would clear up a few acne bumps that I get on my jaw line and chin. I have no other problem places on my face. I started out on 50mg, once a day. The first couple days I had horrible stomach issues and a pounding headache. After the 2 days the stomach issue went away, but my headache never went away. About a week after starting this medication the purge happened. I immediately started reading reviews and decided it was normal and it would be fast, furious and temporary. By week 3 I had acne everywhere! My cheeks, nose, forehead etc. The doctor decided to up my dose to 100mg and also gave me 100mg of Doxycycline. She said it would kill the acne with 3 days. Another week went by and I was getting dizzy, dry, my left leg was going numb, headache was blinding and more acne now moving onto my neck. I let this go on until mid March. I flushed the medicine. I feel so much better now."

N (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 3, 2019

"I’m so happy I went on spironolactone! I was so ready to try anything (even accutane) when spironolactone was prescribed to me. I didn’t hesitate to go on it but I did have doubts in my mind about wether it would work or not bc I have gone thru many pills. Before taking this pill I didn’t think I had hormonal acne because I had acne all over my face and in my mind hormonal acne was meant to be on the jawline and chin. The dr explained to me that she would like to put me on this pill because I had been telling her that my skin would break out like crazy and the calm down for like a week before breaking out again - a sign of hormonal acne. My derm. put me on 50 mg to take at night but that didn’t change anything so she raised my dosage to 100 mg. About 3 months after taking my first pill I saw major change in my face. Of course it gets better slowly which is why you’ll one day look back at pics and be like woah my skin really is a lot better! Didn’t have enough typing space to write more :("

Rach April 3, 2019

"I was prescribed spironolactone for acne. It's off label and rarely prescribed in the UK. My acne is very severe, and I've tried every acne treatment apart from birth control pills as I have a stroke risk. My dermatologist prescribed me 100mg spironolactone to take once a day. My acne continued to worsen for the first few months. I did some online anecdotal research and began splitting the dose, taking it every 12 hours. It started to work! My dermatologist supported the dose-splitting, and doubled my dose (100mg twice a day) and it's been really working since! I have the occasional spot or two and especially around my period. But it feels like an absolute miracle for me! I probably pee and drink a bit more, I've been having two periods a month (although it's more like two half periods) and my skin is significantly drier (all over) even than it was on roaccutane. I still take each day as it comes, but I wish there would be more research into spironolactone so it could help more people like me."

little my March 31, 2019

"Spironolactone worked great for my acne. It did take around 3 months for it to noticeably work, but it has done wonders! The only side effect I've noticed is that a have extremely vivid dreams/nightmares every night. I only saw one other person to mention this..so I don't know if it's extremely rare or if no one else has noticed."

S. (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 23, 2019

"I’ve been on spiro for my acne for exactly 2 months. I’m taking 100mg. 50 in the morning and 50 at night. The only side effect I get is having to pee constantly but it’s not that serious. My acne has gotten worse, I now get acne in spots on my face where I never had it before. The acne come up in little balls and they never reach to a head they kind of just stay under the skin then rise up and slowly slowly SLOWLY get smaller. I hope that made any sense. The acne is also bright red and I hate my face so much. I’m gonna stay on the medication because I’m looking for the light at the end of the tunnel - it is suppose to get better"

Clawdz (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 18, 2019

"I have had very bad hormonal acne since I was in middle school. My doctor put me on birth control which helped somewhat but not enough to notice a difference. I finally went on spironolcatone a little over a year ago and it was the best decision of my life. I barely have breakouts anymore. I take two 25mg pills a day. It doesn’t have any horrible side effects the only change is I drink and pee more which is worth the clear skin."

Mozzy (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 13, 2019

"Long story short I have suffered from acne on and off for the past 10 years. I am 25 (f) now and have been on 100mg/day spironolactone as well as oral antiobiotics 150mg/day and topical tretinoin and birthcontrol. As you can see my derm loaded me up but after being on the BC for 3 months and then starting the spiro/antibiotics almost 3 weeks ago my face has gotten 95% better. I have only two pimples instead of having a face full. The only issue now is to get rid of the stubborn hyper pigmentation I've been left with... but I'm using facial peels which seems to be helping with that. I hope this helps someone in the same boat as me feeling as discouraged as I did."

It's finally over (taken for less than 1 month) March 5, 2019

"I was told 3 weeks ago I have Hidradenitis suppurativa (HS) and PCOS. Went to a dermatologist to try and get help, so I can get my skin under control. Within the first week, under my arms did start to clear up, and I was feeling pretty good to START. After a couple more days I fainted. My dermatologist failed to mention that this is a medication for not just acne and hormonal balancing, but more for people with blood pressure issues. It just happened to help clear up your skin too. I did some research and was trying to abide by what it recommended you eat and drink with it. The 3rd week I was on this, started to feel dizziness, lightheaded. Next thing I know my heart was raising, shaking, chest pains and having a panic attack. This dermatologist told me that I wouldn't notice any major symptoms, I just might be peeing more. My Dr started me on 100mgs but I've read other reviews from other women who experienced the same if not worse symptoms than me and were on lower doses. I stopped taking the medication."

Jess (taken for less than 1 month) March 3, 2019

"For over 10 years, I suffered from moderate to severe acne that only got worse with time. I'm 26 (F) now. As a teenager, it started with my face and gradually became an issue on my back and upper chest. I hoped that my skin would clear up after I entered my 20s as it does for so many other young people. Unfortunately, the opposite happened. I started to notice that my acne would get much worse during my monthly cycle, which became more apparent after I reached adulthood and meant it was hormonal. I visited a dermatologist and she gave me this med. Within a month or two of taking it, my acne started clearing up. The first improvement I noticed was on my face. Even during my period, it would remain clear. I still had the occasional breakout but it was nothing like it had been. After a few more weeks, my back and chest began to clear (2 or 3 month mark). It’s been over a year since I started taking Spiro and I am thrilled with the results. My skin is almost completely clear."

Sunshine90210 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 28, 2019

"I was prescribed Accutane when I had very mild acne, and 4 months after taking it I was acne free (like seriously never had a pimple at all). That was all fine and dandy until 8 months later August 2018 I was hit with a cystic pimple that would just not go away and from that day on it spread. I now have acne all over my face and it not only takes forever to go away but all of them seem to be scarring. I started Spironolactone (50mg/Day) and Retin A on November 17th and my acne has gotten MUCH worse. I am having cystic breakouts everywhere. It went from my cheeks now to my forehead and smile lines, and my skin Is super dry!! I know you’re supposed to wait at least 2-3 months to start seeing results but I’m beginning to think if it’s just making it worse to go back on a second dose of Accutane as I feel I have tried everything!!!"

Soccergenius (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 26, 2018

"I have been on spiro for about 9 months and it was done wonders for my acne. HOWEVER, over the past couple months I feel like all this medication is catching up to me. I have a constant dull headache, sometimes feel dizzy and lightheaded, I am sleepy 24/7, I just feel like I’m in a fog all the time. It’s an awful feeling. I take 100mg per day and am considering either lowering the dosage to 50mg or just completely stop taking it. I love what’s its done for my acne but at this point it’s affecting my life too much that it’s not worth it. I’m just worried my acne will come back if i stop it completely:("

user1994 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 16, 2018

"I had tried nearly everything when my derm gave me two options: Accutane or Spironolactone. I was undecided at first but after reading a scientific journal about the higher rate of acne relapse of accutane users who have HORMONAL acne) I decided on the Spiro. I was so anxious taking that first pill. I started on Oct. 9th, 2018. 100 mg a day. I was expecting a wait of up to 6 months before progress. It is now Dec. 9th, 2018 and I am acne free. I no longer get painful cysts on the jawline before my period. The relief is amazing. And my hair is MUCH thicker now! Everyone comments and asks what I’ve been using on it! But it’s just the Spiro. It’s truly insane how unbalanced hormones can negatively affect your body. I know everyone will have a different experience but if you have hormonal acne, Spiro is definitely worth a shot."

Relieved at last!!! (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 9, 2018

"Today are my Day 15 taken this medicine . I just want to left the record here for further refer . Thanks for those who left the positive comment here who support me continue taken this medicine. Since I started taking medicine, the drugs have brought me more frequent urination than before. my face now has new small pimples on the whole face, even the rare forehead and chin, one or two behind. I also have lethargy, emotional pessimism, etc. Wait. My face has been plagued by acne for four years, and I have been troubled by the fact that it did not break out before. Most of my problems are on my cheeks, all of which are closed-head acne. I will continue to take it because this is my last hope. I hope to keep a progress report on how it goes."

Qaseh (taken for less than 1 month) November 27, 2018

"I was on this medication for 10-12 years for severe acne and I must say that it clears your acne up pretty good. I noticed that it burned my throat as I took it, but I was willing to take it to clear up my skin. About 4-5 years ago, I started having flushing of the face. Then almost 2 years ago, I started having severe heartburn, acid reflux, etc. Now something's wrong with my digestive system and I've got to have further testing done. I have obviously stopped taking this medication, but I didn't know it was the cause of my problems for a long time. So I just have to say that if you start having heartburn or it makes your heartburn worse, stop taking this medication! It isn't worth it."

Lildary (taken for 10 years or more) November 25, 2018