User Reviews for Spironolactone

Also known as: Aldactone, CaroSpir

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Spironolactone.

Spironolactone Rating Summary

7.8/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 400 medications used in the treatment of Acne.

Reviews for Spironolactone to treat Acne

"I've only taken about a weeks worth of this medication, but I've experienced dizziness, tiredness and cramps which is the worst, feels like menstrual pain or contractions every 5 mins, like I'm about to have a baby or something. My menstrual cycle is usually 4th day very light, I'm still bleeding on the fourth day. Took pain killers still experiencing terrible cramps, this is not for me, I'll take the acne any day"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) February 19, 2018

"I’ve been using Spirinolactone for 4 months with no results. I was hoping to see any, but I didn’t. My skin was as bad, as before. Also this Med goes through our liver and in a long run can cause digestive problems. It gave me cramps, I lost some weight , skin stopped being oily, but acne didn’t go away. I used it with RetiA and benzoyl peroxide cleanser. "

Innapolutska February 13, 2018

"I'm 36 and have suffered painful big red ugly monthly cystic acne since the birth of my 2nd child at age 29. Usually the cysts take 1-2 weeks to stop hurting and 1 month to go away. However by my third day of spiro the cysts stopped being "active" and are significantly smaller. My chin is not as oily. I have only been on the medication 2 weeks and have not experienced any side effects and hopefully won't. I'm amazed at the results so far."

EmmaMarina February 1, 2018

"I was first perscribed Spironolactone when my hormonal acne was becoming devastating, around age 24. I would wake up every day with new cystic acne. I became very depressed and even missed work multiple times due to my breakouts. I started taking a low dose of this drug around August 2012. After a few months, I did not notice much of a difference. Once my doctor increased the dose, I really started noticing significant results. It changed my life. Spironolactone would have had a faster effect if I identified by triggers sooner. I have found that B12 supplements and soy may still cause me to break out."

No Banana Amanda January 26, 2018

"I’m 38 and started getting hormonal acne in my early 30’s with painful cysts that took weeks to go away. I tried so many OTC and prescribed topicals that never worked and sometimes made it worse. I finally went to the dermatologist in July and she put me on 100mg of Spiro. My face got so much worse in the beginning and I just wanted to quit! But I read the reviews and decided to be patient and give it time. I didn’t see results until a good 4 months after starting it. I’m now 6 months in and my skin is the clearest it’s been in years. I know it’s no fun but for me those few months of awful breakouts was so worth it! Be patient! It really does work!"

AprilKT (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 20, 2018

"I have been on spironolactone for about 2 months now due to cystic acne. Although a cyst on my face has not gone away yet, I do know it takes about 3 months for the medication to work. My skin has been relatively clear otherwise where I normally get severe breakouts. Although, I have had some strange side effects. My breasts have been extremely tender and have increased in size. I thought I had developed lumps in my breasts, so I went to my primary care and she told me the lumps were not abnormal and it was just my body reacting to the medication! I do recommend seeing your doctor if you have severe side effects. Otherwise, I have only experienced slight nausea and slight dizziness. I am on 50 mg twice a day."

goody12 January 3, 2018

"I’ve been on it for about 3 years and love a lot of what it does for my complexion. My skin used to be 90% cysts and blackheads but now I rarely get any flare ups. However, I did go through a really rough patch when I was learning to work with this medicine. I was extremely sensitive to light, had VERY dry skin, and had to limit my potassium intake. I worked out all the kinks and learned how to live with it. I do miss eating fries and everything else with potassium, but the pros outweigh the cons for me."

Kttt December 29, 2017

"I have suffered from mild acne for as long as I can remember but when I turned 19 it got out of hand. I was waking up every day with 2-3 new whiteheads and cysts, most of the time being too painful to wash my face. I went to the dermatologist as soon as the pain started and was put on different creams and antibiotics for two months. In the span of that time my skin had gotten worse, leading me to the realization that there was something internally wrong with me. I was diagnosed with PCOS a few days later and put on spirolactone. I have been on this medication for 8 months and I kid you not my face has transformed for the better. What I would tell others who are contemplating getting off is to stay on and be persistent. It gets better!"

Sage1128 December 29, 2017

"I honestly can't even tell if its doing anything at all..."

LS19 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 3, 2017

"At first I thought this was a miracle drug because it cleared up my hormonal cystic acne FAST. My skin was flawless after just one month. However, the side effects were terrible. I was so lethargic I could barely do anything, I would sleep most of the day, always lightheaded, my cycle was completely out of whack, and I gained weight like crazy. I just didn’t feel right at all. When I went back to my doctor, she said Spiro can’t be the culprit of all my side effects (mainly the weight gain) and so she kept me on it, but lowered it from 100mg to 50mg. I disagreed and stopped taking it. After a week of being off of it, my energy & happiness totally returned. My skin is no longer perfect but I’d rather have acne than be fat and lifeless."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 30, 2017

"I've only been using this for maybe 2 weeks and no joke my face has cleared up dramatically. I've also lost some weight and my hair doesn't fall out as much. This medication was Heaven sent!!"

C.s (taken for less than 1 month) October 11, 2017

"Honestly- I tried seriously every single OTC and prescription acne product there was to try. Both before and after I had a baby. I’m 24 and this is THE wonder drug. I’ve been taking spirinolactone for 7 months and I’m almost positive I never want to stop. I can tell you I had the worst cystic acne there ever was, every other day I had a new one and this went on for months where I wouldn’t even leave the house unless it was to get it injected- I’m also an avid picker and had terribly low self esteem . Anywho- if you’re able to take this medication— I would try because it might be the wonder drug for you too."

Dani123456 October 7, 2017

"I had planned to write a lot more but it doesn't allow it. I had some devastating hormonal acne all around my jawline/neck area, basically the same area where a man would have a beard. I was never interested in taking Accutane due to the side effects but did some research and found Spironolactone *Aldactone as an apparent successful treatment. I've been taking it for 10 months now and my skin has never been better. I still get occasional pimples but I'm thankful for the drastic change. I started on 50mg ED for two weeks then upped it to 100mg ED for about 6 months or so and now I take a tablet (100mg) once to twice a week. I recommend it for anyone you legitimately has deep cystic hormonal acne that is on your face where a beard would grow."

veaconnell October 5, 2017

"I've been on Spironolactone for 1 monuth. My face has some cystic acne yet, but it's ​now smaller than before. Everyone says it takes ​time to get better... You should wait at least 3 months​ to see the effects. But the problem is my self confidence. I think whenever​ I'm talking with someone, she just looks at my pimples. If I work on self confidence, most of the problems would be solved automatically. Even I wouldn't have any problem with my face. Having acne isn't worse than other problems like Cancer or sickness. I am just thankful for being healthy."

Nikiii September 15, 2017

"I only took spiro 100mg for 10 days it was working but I was ill. After 4 days I was so dizzy with tachycardia, a year after stopping I still have the tachycardia... has anyone else suffered with this please?"

Cake252 September 12, 2017

"Because I wanted results and I wanted them fast. I turned to all of the natural products to cure acne like apple cider vinegar and rose water and tea tree oil etc. Honestly I can for sure tell you I was making my skin worse. I was like heavily exfoliating every night and then putting hella oils on my skin and I didn't even know I was ruining it. My skin got super bad around finals and then didn't really get much better until spring break but then it bounced back and was worse than ever. It was the worst it's ever been at the beginning of summer so I went to the derm finally and got this stuff and no joke I haven't seen a zit on my face in so long it's just scars and my skin is like glowy just honestly try this it works 10/10 fam."

myoldskincantcometothephonern (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 10, 2017

"I started having severe hormonal acne when I used dianne contraceptive pill. So after 3months, I stopped taking it. My acne became worst, like it was the only thing people focus on when I'm talking to them. I became hopeless and depressed. I searched online and found out about SPiro so I gave it a shot. Started on 50mg for 1 month then I'm on 100mg now. I'm on my 10th month on Spiro this week. I just noticed a few changes like my back acne clearing up, yet my facial acne (around 20pcs) is still there. They say it takes 3 months or more to see the results so I'm still crossing my fingers for this. Will update soon."

Julie_0722 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 5, 2017

"Since I'm now in my 30s and always take good care of my skin, my doctor thought my acne was probably hormone related so she wanted me to try spironolactone, 2 pills a day. She said it takes 3 months to start noticing a difference, however, I didn't get that far to see if there would be one, I quit at the 2 month mark due to all the side effects I was experiencing. Those side effects included the typical ones, such as upset stomach, dizziness and very low energy/drowsiness. Then more serious: upper lip numbness, rapid weight gain, cellulite & horrible breast pain. Not worth it."

CAgirl23 August 16, 2017

"Try it. My doctor prescribed 50mg and then upped me to 100mg in 2 months time. Haven't had a zit since he upped me to 100mg. Which is a miracle in itself. I woke up with a new zit every morning for 2 years. I use this along with an antibiotic, RetinA and a sulfur based leave on gel (all prescriptions). My life has changed dramatically. I still have scars but they get lighter once your acne inflammation goes down. Good luck!"

Stephens00000n (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 23, 2017

"I am a teenage girl who suffers with hair growth on my face and bad acne and after 6 months of taking this medicine I'm so beyond relieved that my acne is completely gone and my hair growth is a lot less. I HIGHly recommend this medication to anyone with similar issues!!"

Chimmy chonga July 16, 2017

"I was prescribed this medication to deal with having break outs monthly on my chin from hormones. I've been taking this for only a week. Let me tell you first that my body is very responsive to anything I put in it. I usually have one, MAX two bumps per month on my chin, in one week I literally have FIVE knot pimples on my chin. Not a big deal to you, but I'm 28 and have been super consistent with my breakouts, I have them down to a science. I'll be discontinuing this medication as of today. Sad because I truly had high hopes for future super clear skin, I'm glad it showed itself early."

jennyaus July 16, 2017

"I have been on 50 mg for a week now. My skin is less oily and I have fewer whiteheads. My skin broke out a little more the first three days then it not normally does but nothing bad. I was worried to take this but it seems to be helping with my hormonal acne around my chin and cheeks."

rhdsmith (taken for less than 1 month) July 1, 2017

"Great medication for oily skin. My skin was oily bad till I started this medication. Glad I discovered it."

Amw1985 June 19, 2017

"I have battled acne since high school, and it is one of my biggest insecurities. I try to stay away from harsh drugs and topical treatments, so when my doctor prescribed spironolactone, I went for it. My experience with the drug was not great. It did not improve my acne in the slightest and it caused me to lose 10 pounds without any change to my diet or any increase in exercise. Overall I would not recommend this, as I saw no change in my skin. I took this medication for 3 months."

sophduf (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 8, 2017

"I have always had annoying acne which wasn't terrible but wasn't fixed by birth control. I quit taking birth control and my doctor prescribed spiro instead. I've been on it for almost two years with only one or two little pimples per cycle. I also noticed that the switch gave me a slow steady body change. I've lost about 15 pounds over the two years without any other changes in diet or exercise. It made me a little thirstier than usual, so I'm drinking more water than I used to. No other terrible side effects like others have reported though. Overall very happy with the switch and would recommend for sure."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 6, 2017