User Reviews for Spironolactone to treat Acne (Page 2)

Also known as: Aldactone, CaroSpir

Spironolactone Rating Summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 388 medications used in the treatment of Acne.

Reviews for Spironolactone

Mozzy · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 13, 2019

"I have had very bad hormonal acne since I was in middle school. My doctor put me on birth control which helped somewhat but not enough to notice a difference. I finally went on spironolcatone a little over a year ago and it was the best decision of my life. I barely have breakouts anymore. I take two 25mg pills a day. It doesn’t have any horrible side effects the only change is I drink and pee more which is worth the clear skin."

It's finally over · Taken for less than 1 month March 5, 2019

"Long story short I have suffered from acne on and off for the past 10 years. I am 25 (f) now and have been on 100mg/day spironolactone as well as oral antiobiotics 150mg/day and topical tretinoin and birthcontrol. As you can see my derm loaded me up but after being on the BC for 3 months and then starting the spiro/antibiotics almost 3 weeks ago my face has gotten 95% better. I have only two pimples instead of having a face full. The only issue now is to get rid of the stubborn hyper pigmentation I've been left with... but I'm using facial peels which seems to be helping with that. I hope this helps someone in the same boat as me feeling as discouraged as I did."

Jess · Taken for less than 1 month March 3, 2019

"I was told 3 weeks ago I have Hidradenitis suppurativa (HS) and PCOS. Went to a dermatologist to try and get help, so I can get my skin under control. Within the first week, under my arms did start to clear up, and I was feeling pretty good to START. After a couple more days I fainted. My dermatologist failed to mention that this is a medication for not just acne and hormonal balancing, but more for people with blood pressure issues. It just happened to help clear up your skin too. I did some research and was trying to abide by what it recommended you eat and drink with it. The 3rd week I was on this, started to feel dizziness, lightheaded. Next thing I know my heart was raising, shaking, chest pains and having a panic attack. This dermatologist told me that I wouldn't notice any major symptoms, I just might be peeing more. My Dr started me on 100mgs but I've read other reviews from other women who experienced the same if not worse symptoms than me and were on lower doses. I stopped taking the medication."

Sunshine90210 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 28, 2019

"For over 10 years, I suffered from moderate to severe acne that only got worse with time. I'm 26 (F) now. As a teenager, it started with my face and gradually became an issue on my back and upper chest. I hoped that my skin would clear up after I entered my 20s as it does for so many other young people. Unfortunately, the opposite happened. I started to notice that my acne would get much worse during my monthly cycle, which became more apparent after I reached adulthood and meant it was hormonal. I visited a dermatologist and she gave me this med. Within a month or two of taking it, my acne started clearing up. The first improvement I noticed was on my face. Even during my period, it would remain clear. I still had the occasional breakout but it was nothing like it had been. After a few more weeks, my back and chest began to clear (2 or 3 month mark). It’s been over a year since I started taking Spiro and I am thrilled with the results. My skin is almost completely clear."

Soccergenius · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 26, 2018

"I was prescribed Accutane when I had very mild acne, and 4 months after taking it I was acne free (like seriously never had a pimple at all). That was all fine and dandy until 8 months later August 2018 I was hit with a cystic pimple that would just not go away and from that day on it spread. I now have acne all over my face and it not only takes forever to go away but all of them seem to be scarring. I started Spironolactone (50mg/Day) and Retin A on November 17th and my acne has gotten MUCH worse. I am having cystic breakouts everywhere. It went from my cheeks now to my forehead and smile lines, and my skin Is super dry!! I know you’re supposed to wait at least 2-3 months to start seeing results but I’m beginning to think if it’s just making it worse to go back on a second dose of Accutane as I feel I have tried everything!!!"

user1994 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 16, 2018

"I have been on spiro for about 9 months and it was done wonders for my acne. HOWEVER, over the past couple months I feel like all this medication is catching up to me. I have a constant dull headache, sometimes feel dizzy and lightheaded, I am sleepy 24/7, I just feel like I’m in a fog all the time. It’s an awful feeling. I take 100mg per day and am considering either lowering the dosage to 50mg or just completely stop taking it. I love what’s its done for my acne but at this point it’s affecting my life too much that it’s not worth it. I’m just worried my acne will come back if i stop it completely:("

Relieved at last!!! · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 9, 2018

"I had tried nearly everything when my derm gave me two options: Accutane or Spironolactone. I was undecided at first but after reading a scientific journal about the higher rate of acne relapse of accutane users who have HORMONAL acne) I decided on the Spiro. I was so anxious taking that first pill. I started on Oct. 9th, 2018. 100 mg a day. I was expecting a wait of up to 6 months before progress. It is now Dec. 9th, 2018 and I am acne free. I no longer get painful cysts on the jawline before my period. The relief is amazing. And my hair is MUCH thicker now! Everyone comments and asks what I’ve been using on it! But it’s just the Spiro. It’s truly insane how unbalanced hormones can negatively affect your body. I know everyone will have a different experience but if you have hormonal acne, Spiro is definitely worth a shot."

Qaseh · Taken for less than 1 month November 27, 2018

"Today are my Day 15 taken this medicine . I just want to left the record here for further refer . Thanks for those who left the positive comment here who support me continue taken this medicine. Since I started taking medicine, the drugs have brought me more frequent urination than before. my face now has new small pimples on the whole face, even the rare forehead and chin, one or two behind. I also have lethargy, emotional pessimism, etc. Wait. My face has been plagued by acne for four years, and I have been troubled by the fact that it did not break out before. Most of my problems are on my cheeks, all of which are closed-head acne. I will continue to take it because this is my last hope. I hope to keep a progress report on how it goes."

Lildary · Taken for 10 years or more November 25, 2018

"I was on this medication for 10-12 years for severe acne and I must say that it clears your acne up pretty good. I noticed that it burned my throat as I took it, but I was willing to take it to clear up my skin. About 4-5 years ago, I started having flushing of the face. Then almost 2 years ago, I started having severe heartburn, acid reflux, etc. Now something's wrong with my digestive system and I've got to have further testing done. I have obviously stopped taking this medication, but I didn't know it was the cause of my problems for a long time. So I just have to say that if you start having heartburn or it makes your heartburn worse, stop taking this medication! It isn't worth it."

SH · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 15, 2018

"Best pill for acne!! I experienced no purge. Was a bit tired for the first week and peed a little more but that's about it. Started working right away pretty much & I didn't even think I had hormonal acne! I was doing the natural route for a bit but saw no improvements and gave up. I was seeing a naturopath and it showed I was sensitive to sugar, wheat, and dairy so I was eating a strict diet, if this is you then it is probably hormonal! So happy I can eat whatever now and not have to worry. I have been on only for 2 months also."

Mandy · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 31, 2018

Aldactone (spironolactone): "This medication was prescribed to treat my hormonal acne. The side effects that I experienced outweighed any positives. I did observe my acne to subside, but my skin became so dry and parched doing so. My face looked sunken in, and aged. I'm only 27, and I do not smoke and only occasionally consume alcoholic beverages. My libido was nearly nonexistent. I was very dry in my genitals, and could not self lubricate for sex. My hair was also incredibly dry, and brittle, and I noticed hair thinning at my scalp. My hair was coming out noticeably more as well. I was having difficulty sleeping. I gained nearly 10 pounds since starting... I eat fairly healthy and balanced. I was only on Spiro for roughly 4 months. I've been off of it for only a few days, but I swear I already feel and look so much better. Ill take some pimples and oily (but healthy) facial skin."

Anonymous October 2, 2018

"I had a great experience with Spironolactone until my pharmacy changed the pill. I’m not sure what brand I was on before but I know it had a minty coating and worked really well! I saw complete skin clearing within 3-4 months. Then the pill was changed and the bottle says “Accord Healthcare” and the acne has come back, almost worse than before. Really frustrating that different brands of the same drug will cause such drastic changes."

Shanza September 22, 2018

"First of all: yes it works! This medication was the best decision I ever made in my 10 years of battling acne. This journey began when I was only 9 years old. At my physical when 10 years old I was prescribed EpiDuo. Didn’t work for months. I saw a local dermo on a monthly basis for 4 yrs tried Adapalene, Tretinoin, you name it, last treatment we tried was minocycline Big mistake, big allergic reaction, big hospital bill. After that dermo will not help me because of the situation. I went on to other products spending $2000+, lactic acid, peels, scar removals etc. Then noticed my period was not normal which brought me to see an endo and gyno and am diagnosed with PCOS. I started with birth control which wasn’t for me. Then prescribed aldactone. With no hopes, as they said may help with acne but mainly for PCOS. My skin cleared up after two weeks. This was what I needed after my 10 year battle. If I could tel anyone, please try this if topicals don’t work. Best medication ever. No side effects for me."

rlcourtney · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 5, 2018

"This is the best medicine I've ever taken for acne and I've tried so many. It really helped make my skin less oily, so I have significantly fewer breakouts (even period-related breakouts have stopped). It is taken orally so you don't have to get medicine on your pillow and towels, it's the best. I haven't experienced any side effects."

Ljd · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 24, 2018

"I considered spironolactone a miracle for a couple years, then CVS started giving me a different brand generic. It does not work at all! I don't have the brand info from my previous pills. This new pill says "Accord Healthcare] on the label. It also has a vile odor."

Simone · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 16, 2018

"I've been on a low dose of 50 mg for 4 months now and Spiro works! You will purge badly at the beginning but you just have to get through it somehow because the results will be so worth it. If you're experiencing really bad side effects like headaches or stomach issues, try experimenting with different brands because unfortunately some brands will give you horrible side effects while others won't. I'm taking a generic with little/no side effects, the only thing I have is a dry, flakey scalp and ears."

Julie_0722 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 22, 2018

"I posted a comment about spirolactone here last Sept2017 at that time, there were almost no changes especially with my face being oily and facial acne looking exaggerated. Starting last February 2018, the dramatic change happened, exactly 8 months later. My face cleared up and the oiliness was gone. Now I get 1-2 very tiny pimples (very unnoticeable) before my period. I shifted from 100mg June-February to 50mg Feb-May2018. Good luck on your journey guys! I hope this helped. xoxo"

:) · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 15, 2018

"This medicine has changed my life! I used to suffer from terrible cystic acne. My skin was always inflamed and the healing process was extremely delayed... it was horrible! I have read many reviews that mentioned an adjustment period (a month or two of worsened acne) prior to any desired effects, but - for me - this was not the case. This medication proved beneficial within the first week and continued to improve as the dose was adjusted (though I am still only on a very small dose, twice a day). One added (and unexpected) benefit was that I stopped getting cold sores. Seriously. Recurrence of cold sores was getting entirely out of control (to the point where I was having to take preventative medicine nearly every other day) and - after starting this medicine - the recurrences completely stopped! Best side effect ever! Anyhow, my skin is now clear - with exception of the rare tiny pimple - and I am free of cold sores. Have not had any problems and am so incredibly happy."

2017face · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 29, 2018

"female adult mid 50's with acne most of life, 2nd report after 1 year. No new acne problems, just the scarring left over. No side effects, still have to wear make up to cover blemishes but acne free. Take 50mg once a day and not sure how long I will be able to stay on this medication? I did think I would have this beautiful make up free skin so I am disappointed about that. But the main goal was to rid of acne and this has happened. Would do this medication again."

chroe · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 27, 2018

"This drug is fantastic for hormonal acne. I had bad acne as a teen, and while most of it went away, I have had nasty cystic zits on my chin since then. I'm 40 now, had tried all kinds of OTC and prescription creams and washes that didn't do much. So my dermatologist suggested spironolactone, and it changed EVERYTHING. I went from 1-4 zits all the time to maybe one, small, quick-healing pimple when I have my period. Be sure to give it a couple of months to allow the drug to work and allow the side effects to fade. I don't have side effects now that I've been taking it for 5 month, but during the first month or two I had some bleeding outside of my period. It took about that long for the positive effects to kick in, too. It was frustrating but I'm so glad I stuck with it."

Megka · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 25, 2018

"This has given me consistent heart burn! (Side effect) I will take acne over how I have been feeling any day."

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month February 19, 2018

"I've only taken about a weeks worth of this medication, but I've experienced dizziness, tiredness and cramps which is the worst, feels like menstrual pain or contractions every 5 mins, like I'm about to have a baby or something. My menstrual cycle is usually 4th day very light, I'm still bleeding on the fourth day. Took pain killers still experiencing terrible cramps, this is not for me, I'll take the acne any day"

Innapolutska February 13, 2018

"I’ve been using Spirinolactone for 4 months with no results. I was hoping to see any, but I didn’t. My skin was as bad, as before. Also this Med goes through our liver and in a long run can cause digestive problems. It gave me cramps, I lost some weight , skin stopped being oily, but acne didn’t go away. I used it with RetiA and benzoyl peroxide cleanser. "

EmmaMarina February 1, 2018

"I'm 36 and have suffered painful big red ugly monthly cystic acne since the birth of my 2nd child at age 29. Usually the cysts take 1-2 weeks to stop hurting and 1 month to go away. However by my third day of spiro the cysts stopped being "active" and are significantly smaller. My chin is not as oily. I have only been on the medication 2 weeks and have not experienced any side effects and hopefully won't. I'm amazed at the results so far."

No Banana Amanda January 26, 2018

"I was first perscribed Spironolactone when my hormonal acne was becoming devastating, around age 24. I would wake up every day with new cystic acne. I became very depressed and even missed work multiple times due to my breakouts. I started taking a low dose of this drug around August 2012. After a few months, I did not notice much of a difference. Once my doctor increased the dose, I really started noticing significant results. It changed my life. Spironolactone would have had a faster effect if I identified by triggers sooner. I have found that B12 supplements and soy may still cause me to break out."

Learn more about Acne

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)