User Reviews for Spironolactone to treat Acne (Page 5)

Also known as: Aldactone, CaroSpir

Spironolactone Rating Summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 388 medications used in the treatment of Acne.

Reviews for Spironolactone

Adult Acne Survivor · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 20, 2016

"Pay attention to the dose for researching those who have experienced negative side effects. Many (although not all) of those with those unfortunate experiences started out at high doses (100mg+) My experience has been nothing short of a MIRACLE. **Brief history* I have suffered horribly with acne since the age of 15. I am now 42. I have tried everything from toothpaste tricks to antibacterial drugs (Bactrim) to Proactive. Nothing worked. Not even Yaz. I was a mess. I would break out viciously with each cycle and have different stages of old & new acne. THIS STOPPED IT IN ONE WEEK. 25 mg, twice daily- ZERO SIDE EFFECTS. Do it at this dose & you might get the same results!!"

Bell_Berry November 18, 2016

"My fellow PSOC victims- this stuff WORKS!! Having a hormone imbalance sucks but you have to fight hormonal acne at the source; creams and even antibiotics won't work because those aren't the cause of our acne. I read up on spironolactone and it's an androgen blocker - when women have too much of the male-specific hormones those hormones go to our neck, jaw, and cheeks because that's where men grow beards. Crazy huh? I'm 27, been battling with HA since 21ish. Tried everything, seriously.. been on 50mg/day for the first 3 weeks and am now on my 5th week of 100mg/day and I am happy to say I'm acne free- just those lovely scars now :/ but hey, one step at a time right? :) only side effect for me is peeing a lot."

Sofia Marina November 8, 2016

"I'm 25, active, healthy eater, thin, no milk since starting. I usually have a break out every 10 days. Two terribly painful acne bumps or a regular red zit that I can't help but bother. I have been to the best derms in New York for YEARS. Pretty sure my acne was due to stress and hormones. All I know is that my gyno put me on 50mg of Spiro and my acne started changing. 3 months in I still was breaking out every 10-14 days, but they were smaller and less painful. THEN I got a little curious about taking more. After a chat with gyno I went from 50-75-100mg. It's been 5 months of no cystic acne. Yes I'll get a little blemish, but I will take it. It's not consuming my life. CAREFUL! Go up in doses slowly. Will make you dizzy/lower your BP"

Jdzm November 4, 2016

"Started breaking out at 21yrs, been dealing with cystic acne for 4 years. I'm now 25 and been on Spiro100mg for 5 mths, best decision I ever made! I tried everything from topical creams, face wash, home remedies, was on other antibiotics that did not work! I did not want to take accutane because of the long term effects it has left some people with. Within 2 months being on Spiro I noticed a big difference! I have not experience yet any side effects and did not experience an initial breakout. My face is super clean, not perfect (redness) but acne free and I'm more than fine with that. I'm scared to discontinue spiro because it gave me my confidence back but I know eventually I have to discontinue and praying for the best. Nothing neg to say"

JeanneW88 November 3, 2016

"I have been taking Spironolactone 100 MG everyday now for the past 3 months. My face broke out under my neck area and this has cleared it up tremendously. I don't notice any side affects and I already pee a-lot because I drink lot's of water. I am also using Rodin and Fields Skin Care and i use Epiduo Forte Gel as well. My face looks amazing now and is very soft. Definitely works very well!"

cberryb October 31, 2016

"I've only been on spiro for three weeks, but it has seriously made SUCH a difference already! I'm on BC so I don't feel the effects of mid-cycle spotting so that's a plus. But, when I first started spiro, my existing cystic breakout on my cheeks got so, so much worse (red, bumpy, painful). Now, my skin is calm. The marks from the awful breakout are still there and tiny bumps are going down, but it is 85% better than before. I'm on two topicals as well, so perhaps all in conjunction are doing wonders for my skin. I'm so happy, though. I'm 21 in a new city and haven't had a cystic breakout like this in at least 3-4 years. It's great to think my skin could get even better than this...."

Jayne1988 October 23, 2016

"I love this stuff. Ive been taking it for 1.5 mths for acne. Ive tried everything to get my acne under control and nothing helped. I was nervous to use it as I read the reviews and many people say it caused them to gain weight. Im in a wedding in Nov and I've been working hard to LOSE weight so I would be really upset if these meds caused me to gain. But after 1.5 mths my skin is flawless. I go to work without foundation for the first time in my life. And I've lost 10 pounds! Ive surpassed my goal for the wedding! It also really surpresses my apitite and they taste like mint! Only con is they make me feel really sick if I take them on an empty stomach so make sure to eat first. I didn't even have an issue with frequent urination."

Sam11211031 October 23, 2016

"I always had perfect skin as a teen until I hit about 24 then it went down hill. Nothing worked, most topical treatments made it worse, Proactive made it worse than worse, Murade and others as well. Nothing worked. Sooo I researched spiro and found my symptoms and timing etc. fit others my age, 37 that dealt with it late in life. I asked my Dermatologist about it and she gave it to me along with a topical gel. I have only been on it about 1 week but I can see the difference already. My skin is evening out, the large pores seem smaller and the hard bumps are nearly gone. I have not had one break out and even my back is much clearer. It is amazing. I don't pee too much more but I do find I get out of breath easily. Seems to be working on my skin"

Anonymous October 17, 2016

"My experience on Spiro has been somewhat beneficial. I'm a 23 year old female who has PCOS and has been on 100mgs for 3 months. My acne hasn't cleared up 100%, but my cystic acne has decreased at least 80% if not more. I still get breakouts though. My side effects are: extreme dizziness, needing to pee A LOT, my mouth gets super dry, my body is dry and requires more moisturizer on my hands, legs and feet. The dizziness is absolute worst though. I have to take it at a certain time or else I can't drive during the day, or I'm up peeing all night. I'm hoping with more time things will clear up more. I haven't had any issues with weight gain. I've actually lost weight and have noticed a decrease in hair production in unwanted areas."

alcanady October 3, 2016

"So right now, I'm only on week two of course in about two months I will give an update. I'm taking 100mg a day and I am at the awkward stage of the major flare up. My face looks horrible, but I have read reviews saying it's going to take about 4 months to work, I guess I can go 4 months. I also read about the long periods or bleeding everyday, which surprisingly I don't have an issue with. I am on the nuvo ring and I swear by it, I've been on it for 9 years and no matter what medication I take, I'm not bleeding unless I take the ring out, and as soon as I put it back in I stop bleeding. I'm hoping by my 30th B-Day in Jan I will have clear skin. I also suffer from chin hairs, so I hope these meds help with that as well. update coming soon."

Riahhh October 3, 2016

"It takes a couple of months but it really does work."

No more acne! · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 1, 2016

"I started developing adult acne at 26. By 27, I could not leave the house without makeup to cover the acne up. I started seeing a dermatologist who tried three different routes to help me get rid of acne. Spiro was the last straw before I considered accutane which I did not want to go through. My derm told me to give the spiro time - it wouldn't be instant. I had to wait 3-4 months but right now I am writing this completely acne free. I barely wear makeup anymore and I couldn't be happier! I'm writing this because I read so many of these reviews when I was struggling and thought it would never happen to me. If you're struggling with acne, talk to derm about spiro! It's worth the wait!"

Ash123456 September 7, 2016

"I am a mid twenties female and I have struggled with acne my entire teenage-adult years. I was desperate for clear skin, but not desperate enough to go on accutane. I had to beg my dermatologist to put me on it, b/c she only wanted me to do accutane. Needless to say 4 months and I was still having breakouts, my derm. increseased to 50mg 2x daily and that did the trick. I had NO ZITS for the first time in my life I had clear skin. I was on spiro for 1 year. BUT then, I wanted to get pregnant. So I had to go off of it. First 3 months, I was in the clear no acne. Then BAM, it came back. Not only did it come back, but it came back SO much worse than before. DON'T do it, I know you want no acne, but this is not the solution."

789374 August 30, 2016

"I'm 18 (almost 19) and I just started college two weeks ago. Ever since I was about 14 years old I've suffered from mild-servere acne. I've tried every topical cream known to man and none seemed clear up my acne. I started taking birth control to level out my hormones but it barley did anything. About 2 1/2 weeks ago I went to my dermatologist begging her to put me on something stronger. I was perscribed spironolactone. I went home and researched everything and saw that an initial breakout is most likely to happen. About a week into taking the medication I had a severe breakout on my chin and cheeks. After a week it started to clear up. I'm not fully in the clear but I see improvement which I'm excited for!"

Emilykkkkkkkkkkk August 23, 2016

"This medication took a year (yep, 12 months) to clear my skin...but it did! At 22, I was sick of my moderate acne ruining my self confidence. Now I rarely wear makeup, rarely have any zits to pop or manage...it's wonderful! Such a blessing. Also- I had a bad acne breakout for a month when I started, and saw initial effects in 6 months."

Anonymous91 August 13, 2016

"At 24 I started breaking out worse after discontinuing the pill and switching to an IUD (I love it, btw). I had cystic acne along my jawline and on my neck, so I went to a derm and she prescribed me 25 mg daily for 2 weeks, then 50 mg daily. I broke out badly at the 2 week mark and again at the 4 week mark. I went back to the derm after 6 weeks of being on spiro and I was upped to 100 mg daily. I'm finally starting to see results. I'm on week 8 of being on spiro, and while my skin isn't completely clear, I definitely see a difference. I should also note I'm using Retin-A topically. I do experience side effects on spiro like increased thirst, breast tenderness, spotting, some cramping, & increased urination, but I'm willing to deal with this"

MegCan · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 13, 2016

"Started taking this drug about 3 months ago. It took about a month to completely clear up my chest and back acne. It had a significant effect on my facial acne. The cysts only last a couple days now and my face is noticeably clearer. Very happy with this result! The only side effect I personally am not super happy about is the weight loss. I am 5'8" and usually 125-130 pounds. Three months into this drug I now weigh 114 pounds and feel very tired all the time. I have tried drinking more water than usual and have increased my sodium intake which is helping with the light headed-ness. Otherwise I have not changed my eating habits and the pounds keep coming off. Not sure how to combat this beside stuffing myself."

Jgirl888 August 10, 2016

"I have struggled with severe acne on my face, chest, and back since I was 14 and I am now 22. I had cystic acne that was so painful and embarrassing that I would often cancel plans so I wouldn't have to go in public. I have seen multiple doctors and dermatologists and nothing has worked for me. I have tried everything but accutane because I'm too scared about the side effects. I wanted to try spiro because my sister who had acne worse than me is taking spiro and it completely cleared her acne. I started at 50mg per day in April and it did cause an initial flare up but after the flare up subsided I didn't get anymore cystic acne. I still got smaller spots of acne but no more painful cysts. Now I am at 75mg per day and I hardly ever get acne!"

41rice · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 8, 2016

"53 female and have cystic acne and very oily skin .... Been on it about a month and I'm over the top happy no more itchy painful bumps in my scalp ears and face.... I am having hair loss but will push thru to see if it subsides .... Having dealt with acne most of my life I'll take thinner hair for clear skin any day ☺️"

lanafin · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 3, 2016

"I saw dermatologist for mild, persistent acne. I'm a nineteen year old female and I've been having persistent acne problems for about a year now. My derm gave me the spiro. I was not sure I really needed it, but I started taking it. First few weeks, smooth sailing. Then, BAM, worst break out of my entire life. My skin was red, irritated, bumpy and dry. My acne has become hard and cystic. I knew that there would be a 'purging phase' so I tried to have patience. I was on it for about two months, but I'm fed up. This drug has given me hyperpigmentation I will have to deal with for months. Only reason I didn't give this drug a 1 is because it did decrease my oil production a bit. Not worth it. I will be starting Accutane soon."

AnSF99 · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 29, 2016

"Took it for hormonal acne at many different doses. Worked well in the beginning, but my dermatologist had to keep increasing my dose. I finally maxed out at 200mg a day, and results weren't optimal. I finally took accutane. The bad: as my dose increased, I gained weight. It took almost 18 months to lose the 10lbs I gained. I'm a very athletic and active person, too. Do I recommend it? debatable"

Knf · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 22, 2016

"I have been on spiro for almost a year now. I was prescribed 50mg a day for issues like cystic hormonal acne and dandruff, all related to seborrheic dermatitis. In addition to the spiro, I also take Ethinyl Estradiol based birth control, a generic version of Ortho Tri Cyclen. Since taking the spiro, I haven't had a single breakout! Not even like a tiny blemish. It's clearly worked as intended. It has minimized scalp issues as well, although my face is still oily but I suspect that is connected to a moisturizer I have yet to find a replacement for. Notable side effect: definite, jiggly weight gain in hips, butt, and thighs that I never had b4! This is contrary to lots of reviews I've seen for Spiro that say it has helped women lose weight"

breannef July 14, 2016

"I have been dealing with acne since I was about 16 and then once I turned 19 in college my skin became much worse with stress and everything else. For the past four years I have been switching back and forth between various types of antibiotics. Finally, in March of this year I was prescribed spironolactone that I started on April 17th. All I have to say is that it works. It definitely was an uphill battle but now almost three months in I barely break out. There are definitely side effects but to me they are worth it. You will have to decide for yourself. As an added bonus, my PMS has decreased tremendously. Also, I did lose weight and a cup size."

hiitsemilie · Taken for less than 1 month July 11, 2016

"I was prescribed 50mg of Spiro a day with topical Tretinoin Gel (19 year old female here). I started noticing improvement in my acne after I introduced that topical gel into the equation (so I imagine that the topical caused most of the improvement). Two weeks after starting Spiro, I started noticing hair all over the sink and a ton in the shower drain. I experienced tightening of the throat on and off after a week (a subtle annoyance, not super severe) and didn't attribute it to the Spiro, but eventually I realized my voice sounded very deep, unacceptable as I'm a singer. I had no idea this was a side effect until I looked up Spiro side effects and it explained everything. I stopped taking it after this and won't go back at this dosage."

Klr22 July 7, 2016

"I was prescribed Spironolactone for my "adult" acne. I am now 21 years old. I've been on the medication for a little over 7 months now. Although my acne has mostly subsided, the symptoms were NOT AT ALL WORTH IT. From the first month, I experienced abnormal bleeding and spotting. I expected this since my doctor told me it's normal to happen for the first 3 months. Thing is, it never stopped. It's now been 7 months and I still wake up, peeing dark brown blood. I actually urinate quite often now as it is considered a 'water pill'. I've also gained about 10 pounds and my whole body feels swollen and bloated. I experienced intense pain in my ovaries and it was painful to have intercourse- I saw the gynecologist and the ultrasound was clear. She told me that Spironolactone could be the cause, as it has been reported before. My dermatologist never told me any of this. She actually told me I could be on it for the rest of my life without any problems and it's only been about 7 months and I'm in hell. I scheduled to see a different dermatologist today. DO NOT recommend this in the least."

Learn more about Acne

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)