User Reviews for Spironolactone to treat Acne (Page 4)

Also known as: Aldactone, CaroSpir

Spironolactone Rating Summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 391 medications used in the treatment of Acne.

Reviews for Spironolactone

"I'm a 25 year old female and I suffered terrible acne for a long time, then it went away for a few years. Suddenly back in September 2016 I started to break out again in those painful cysts around my jawline, where I had never broke out before. Spiro helped me many years before so I started taking it again. First week 25 mg and then 50 mg. Had the notorious "Initial Breakout" but after that cleared up (took 2 months) I've been good ever since! It's nice not waking up each morning to find new painful cysts under my chin! Love it. It has caused some dizziness but I'll take that over a pimply, painful face any day. Be patient, this drug takes a while. Worth it though."

Maddie32 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 26, 2016

"I usually suffer from cystic acne on my cheeks, RARELY on my chin or forehead. I never really considered my acne to be hormonal because in the summer I have clear skin, but when I go back to college I break out. I've been on the same BC for about 4 years btw. I went to my dermatologist and she prescribed me 25 mg daily of spiro. I stuck with it for 7 weeks, but here I am at 7 weeks looking WORSE than ever before!! I have break outs in places I never had before. I would rather have dealt with my mild cystic acne on my cheeks than this stuff. I know it works for a lot of people, but clearly not for everyone. This past week I've been severely depressed due to just how terrible my skin looks. I'm discontinuing the use of spiro."

acnesux0231 December 9, 2016

"When I started taking a hormonal birth control pill my skin broke out worse than it ever had before. I tried antibiotics, switching birth control pills, but nothing worked. Then finally after about 7 or 8 months, my dermatologist prescribed me spironolactone (two 25 mg pills in the morning and one at night), and after a few months my skin was completely clear. I use prescription topical creams for my acne as well, but I can definitely say that spironolactone has made a world of difference for my skin. I don't ever want to stop taking it! The only minor side effects I noticed were increased thirst and slight dryness in my normally oily skin, but after taking it for about a month they went away!"

cass2238965 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 6, 2016

"I took Spiro for a total of 6 months for moderate hormonal acne around the jawline. I started off taking 25mg for the first 6 weeks, and had a bad break out, than I increased to 50mg and had another bad breakout. My skin only got worse using this medication and scarred easily and I got acne in places that I never got before. Also in the beginning I felt very tired and in a brain fog but got used to it I guess, since I have been off the medication for only 5 days I feel so much more awake and without it. I was wondering why I was getting so forgetful, and now I realize it was the brain fog from the medication. Also made my skin very saggy and since being off it for only 5 days it has already improved. Only plus for me was I lost 3 poun"

Acnespiro November 30, 2016

"21 yo female. I love it. I am on 75 mg and it has had the intended effects of reducing cystic acne and oil. The acne got a lot worse around 2 weeks, but the break out healed a lot faster than usual. It is now 4 weeks and the break out is almost completely healed and there are no new cysts! It has also had other welcome side effects of thicker hair on my scalp/less shedding, leg hair growing in really slow, pubic hair on my upper thighs and facial hair on chin growing a lot less and not coming back in after plucking. Only bad effects are headaches at first (drink water!) and spotting even though I'm on BC. I'm going to ask about doing 50 mg for longer before coming back up to see if I can get rid of the spotting. Besides spotting, 10/10!"

ZPorrrr (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 29, 2016

"Spiro decreased some oil in my face, but also did the following: way more jaw/chin pimples, neck acne for the first time in my life, a sudden back breakout after having a 90% clear skin for 2 years [and lovely PIH I get to deal with now], dehydrated my face to the point of looking older, tiny weird whiteheads and cc's on my cheeks/forehead, and even more troubling, HAIR LOSS just 2 weeks in. I only took 50 mg/day, but by week 2 my brows, nose hairs and eyelashes began falling out. I've lost about 30 some hairs total in a week. I'm lucky I have thick lashes and brows, or else I'd look patchy. I weaned down to 25 and stopped today and voila...no shedding. It was Spiro's fault...moving on. :("

queenofheart8 November 27, 2016

"Like a couple other users have mentioned, I started out on a small dose and this drug cleared my acne within two weeks. I am 43 and have been on this medication for 4 months, after 20+ years of failure to control my acne. I have tried everything. I had moderate acne with constant blemishes and cyclical nodular breakouts. I was also always red and so oily that my face would look wet. Now my skin looks like I've never had a pimple. I take 50 mg a day and recommend talking to your doctor about starting on a low dose like this. I have had zero side effects and am nothing short of thrilled with the results."

Starbelly (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 23, 2016

"I've been taking 50 mg dose for about 2 months now. At first I noticed a huge diff but now it doesn't seem to be working at all. If I get a pimple it does go in about a day but they are still coming so far. I'm itchy all the time and dizzy. It doesn't bother me but that has gotten worse. Not sure what some women say on it taking their sex drive away. I'm totally abstinent and its increased mine to where its annoying. So I'm guessing it was something else with those others. I pee more but not aweful. I'll give it another 3 months to clear my skin before I use Accutane."

ann1221 November 22, 2016

"Pay attention to the dose for researching those who have experienced negative side effects. Many (although not all) of those with those unfortunate experiences started out at high doses (100mg+) My experience has been nothing short of a MIRACLE. **Brief history* I have suffered horribly with acne since the age of 15. I am now 42. I have tried everything from toothpaste tricks to antibacterial drugs (Bactrim) to Proactive. Nothing worked. Not even Yaz. I was a mess. I would break out viciously with each cycle and have different stages of old & new acne. THIS STOPPED IT IN ONE WEEK. 25 mg, twice daily- ZERO SIDE EFFECTS. Do it at this dose & you might get the same results!!"

Adult Acne Survivor (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 20, 2016

"My fellow PSOC victims- this stuff WORKS!! Having a hormone imbalance sucks but you have to fight hormonal acne at the source; creams and even antibiotics won't work because those aren't the cause of our acne. I read up on spironolactone and it's an androgen blocker - when women have too much of the male-specific hormones those hormones go to our neck, jaw, and cheeks because that's where men grow beards. Crazy huh? I'm 27, been battling with HA since 21ish. Tried everything, seriously.. been on 50mg/day for the first 3 weeks and am now on my 5th week of 100mg/day and I am happy to say I'm acne free- just those lovely scars now :/ but hey, one step at a time right? :) only side effect for me is peeing a lot."

Bell_Berry November 18, 2016

"I'm 25, active, healthy eater, thin, no milk since starting. I usually have a break out every 10 days. Two terribly painful acne bumps or a regular red zit that I can't help but bother. I have been to the best derms in New York for YEARS. Pretty sure my acne was due to stress and hormones. All I know is that my gyno put me on 50mg of Spiro and my acne started changing. 3 months in I still was breaking out every 10-14 days, but they were smaller and less painful. THEN I got a little curious about taking more. After a chat with gyno I went from 50-75-100mg. It's been 5 months of no cystic acne. Yes I'll get a little blemish, but I will take it. It's not consuming my life. CAREFUL! Go up in doses slowly. Will make you dizzy/lower your BP"

Sofia Marina November 8, 2016

"Started breaking out at 21yrs, been dealing with cystic acne for 4 years. I'm now 25 and been on Spiro100mg for 5 mths, best decision I ever made! I tried everything from topical creams, face wash, home remedies, was on other antibiotics that did not work! I did not want to take accutane because of the long term effects it has left some people with. Within 2 months being on Spiro I noticed a big difference! I have not experience yet any side effects and did not experience an initial breakout. My face is super clean, not perfect (redness) but acne free and I'm more than fine with that. I'm scared to discontinue spiro because it gave me my confidence back but I know eventually I have to discontinue and praying for the best. Nothing neg to say"

Jdzm November 4, 2016

"I have been taking Spironolactone 100 MG everyday now for the past 3 months. My face broke out under my neck area and this has cleared it up tremendously. I don't notice any side affects and I already pee a-lot because I drink lot's of water. I am also using Rodin and Fields Skin Care and i use Epiduo Forte Gel as well. My face looks amazing now and is very soft. Definitely works very well!"

JeanneW88 November 3, 2016

"I've only been on spiro for three weeks, but it has seriously made SUCH a difference already! I'm on BC so I don't feel the effects of mid-cycle spotting so that's a plus. But, when I first started spiro, my existing cystic breakout on my cheeks got so, so much worse (red, bumpy, painful). Now, my skin is calm. The marks from the awful breakout are still there and tiny bumps are going down, but it is 85% better than before. I'm on two topicals as well, so perhaps all in conjunction are doing wonders for my skin. I'm so happy, though. I'm 21 in a new city and haven't had a cystic breakout like this in at least 3-4 years. It's great to think my skin could get even better than this...."

cberryb October 31, 2016

"I love this stuff. Ive been taking it for 1.5 mths for acne. Ive tried everything to get my acne under control and nothing helped. I was nervous to use it as I read the reviews and many people say it caused them to gain weight. Im in a wedding in Nov and I've been working hard to LOSE weight so I would be really upset if these meds caused me to gain. But after 1.5 mths my skin is flawless. I go to work without foundation for the first time in my life. And I've lost 10 pounds! Ive surpassed my goal for the wedding! It also really surpresses my apitite and they taste like mint! Only con is they make me feel really sick if I take them on an empty stomach so make sure to eat first. I didn't even have an issue with frequent urination."

Jayne1988 October 23, 2016

"I always had perfect skin as a teen until I hit about 24 then it went down hill. Nothing worked, most topical treatments made it worse, Proactive made it worse than worse, Murade and others as well. Nothing worked. Sooo I researched spiro and found my symptoms and timing etc. fit others my age, 37 that dealt with it late in life. I asked my Dermatologist about it and she gave it to me along with a topical gel. I have only been on it about 1 week but I can see the difference already. My skin is evening out, the large pores seem smaller and the hard bumps are nearly gone. I have not had one break out and even my back is much clearer. It is amazing. I don't pee too much more but I do find I get out of breath easily. Seems to be working on my skin"

Sam11211031 October 23, 2016

"My experience on Spiro has been somewhat beneficial. I'm a 23 year old female who has PCOS and has been on 100mgs for 3 months. My acne hasn't cleared up 100%, but my cystic acne has decreased at least 80% if not more. I still get breakouts though. My side effects are: extreme dizziness, needing to pee A LOT, my mouth gets super dry, my body is dry and requires more moisturizer on my hands, legs and feet. The dizziness is absolute worst though. I have to take it at a certain time or else I can't drive during the day, or I'm up peeing all night. I'm hoping with more time things will clear up more. I haven't had any issues with weight gain. I've actually lost weight and have noticed a decrease in hair production in unwanted areas."

Anonymous October 17, 2016

"So right now, I'm only on week two of course in about two months I will give an update. I'm taking 100mg a day and I am at the awkward stage of the major flare up. My face looks horrible, but I have read reviews saying it's going to take about 4 months to work, I guess I can go 4 months. I also read about the long periods or bleeding everyday, which surprisingly I don't have an issue with. I am on the nuvo ring and I swear by it, I've been on it for 9 years and no matter what medication I take, I'm not bleeding unless I take the ring out, and as soon as I put it back in I stop bleeding. I'm hoping by my 30th B-Day in Jan I will have clear skin. I also suffer from chin hairs, so I hope these meds help with that as well. update coming soon."

alcanady October 3, 2016

"It takes a couple of months but it really does work."

Riahhh October 3, 2016

"I started developing adult acne at 26. By 27, I could not leave the house without makeup to cover the acne up. I started seeing a dermatologist who tried three different routes to help me get rid of acne. Spiro was the last straw before I considered accutane which I did not want to go through. My derm told me to give the spiro time - it wouldn't be instant. I had to wait 3-4 months but right now I am writing this completely acne free. I barely wear makeup anymore and I couldn't be happier! I'm writing this because I read so many of these reviews when I was struggling and thought it would never happen to me. If you're struggling with acne, talk to derm about spiro! It's worth the wait!"

No more acne! (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 1, 2016

"I am a mid twenties female and I have struggled with acne my entire teenage-adult years. I was desperate for clear skin, but not desperate enough to go on accutane. I had to beg my dermatologist to put me on it, b/c she only wanted me to do accutane. Needless to say 4 months and I was still having breakouts, my derm. increseased to 50mg 2x daily and that did the trick. I had NO ZITS for the first time in my life I had clear skin. I was on spiro for 1 year. BUT then, I wanted to get pregnant. So I had to go off of it. First 3 months, I was in the clear no acne. Then BAM, it came back. Not only did it come back, but it came back SO much worse than before. DON'T do it, I know you want no acne, but this is not the solution."

Ash123456 September 7, 2016

"I'm 18 (almost 19) and I just started college two weeks ago. Ever since I was about 14 years old I've suffered from mild-servere acne. I've tried every topical cream known to man and none seemed clear up my acne. I started taking birth control to level out my hormones but it barley did anything. About 2 1/2 weeks ago I went to my dermatologist begging her to put me on something stronger. I was perscribed spironolactone. I went home and researched everything and saw that an initial breakout is most likely to happen. About a week into taking the medication I had a severe breakout on my chin and cheeks. After a week it started to clear up. I'm not fully in the clear but I see improvement which I'm excited for!"

789374 August 30, 2016

"This medication took a year (yep, 12 months) to clear my skin...but it did! At 22, I was sick of my moderate acne ruining my self confidence. Now I rarely wear makeup, rarely have any zits to pop or manage...it's wonderful! Such a blessing. Also- I had a bad acne breakout for a month when I started, and saw initial effects in 6 months."

Emilykkkkkkkkkkk August 23, 2016

"At 24 I started breaking out worse after discontinuing the pill and switching to an IUD (I love it, btw). I had cystic acne along my jawline and on my neck, so I went to a derm and she prescribed me 25 mg daily for 2 weeks, then 50 mg daily. I broke out badly at the 2 week mark and again at the 4 week mark. I went back to the derm after 6 weeks of being on spiro and I was upped to 100 mg daily. I'm finally starting to see results. I'm on week 8 of being on spiro, and while my skin isn't completely clear, I definitely see a difference. I should also note I'm using Retin-A topically. I do experience side effects on spiro like increased thirst, breast tenderness, spotting, some cramping, & increased urination, but I'm willing to deal with this"

Anonymous91 August 13, 2016

"Started taking this drug about 3 months ago. It took about a month to completely clear up my chest and back acne. It had a significant effect on my facial acne. The cysts only last a couple days now and my face is noticeably clearer. Very happy with this result! The only side effect I personally am not super happy about is the weight loss. I am 5'8" and usually 125-130 pounds. Three months into this drug I now weigh 114 pounds and feel very tired all the time. I have tried drinking more water than usual and have increased my sodium intake which is helping with the light headed-ness. Otherwise I have not changed my eating habits and the pounds keep coming off. Not sure how to combat this beside stuffing myself."

MegCan (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 13, 2016