User Reviews for Metoprolol

Also known as: Lopressor, Metoprolol Succinate ER, Metoprolol Tartrate, Toprol-XL

Metoprolol Rating Summary

6.4/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 336 medications used in the treatment of High Blood Pressure.

Reviews for Metoprolol to treat High Blood Pressure

"Has anybody had the experience with ringing of the ears with metoprolol I had open heart surgery 4 years ago and two and a half years ago my ears started to ring. If yes did anybody change to another medicine? to stop it? I wonder if it's too late and whether my ears are damaged"

Captain (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 13, 2018

"Blinding migraines began in 2014 and a whole slew of other symptoms accompanied. (Major Auras, Pre- & Post-) Since I did not have headaches it was difficult to diagnose. I had major job related, family, & health stressors. I was placed on Imitrex and it appeared to be working to quickly relieve migraines but did not last. Over time my blood pressure began to raise and Imitrex can cause it. My cardiologist put me on Metoprolol Succinate ER 25 mg for my blood pressure and what do you know! I can think clearer and migraines All gone! God is truly Good! I have less anxiety, blood pressure down, & migraines gone! I forgot to mention that I really do not like to take medicines. I prefer the natural route. But this medicine was worth taking!"

PreciousDaughter (taken for less than 1 month) April 26, 2018

Toprol-XL (metoprolol): "This is the best meds ever , been on 25 mg ER for 20 years , control mine BP for years , still just take 25 mg ,love this meds no side effect"

vic (taken for 10 years or more) April 3, 2018

"I hate this medicine. It did one heck of a number on my digestive tract. It interferes with a gut nerve in the brain. The diarrhea was awful. I thought I was developing IBS, then I read an IBS article about a woman who had the same symptoms as I. When she got off Metoprolol, the "IBS" stopped! I could only eat rice. Lost a ton of weight, but it wasn't worth it. Now, I have finally weaned off of it and my digestive tract is quiet, returning to normal.Please be careful when taking it."

KG (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 7, 2018

"Afib is the cause dujour of unexplained stroke. I have a loop recorder implanted, and take 50 mg metoprolol twice a day. Turns out my 3 strokes were caused by ibuprofen; few people have that problem, but not the reason for this post. My pulse has been 60 for 60 years. Used a manual BP cuff for 40 years; switched to automatic cuff 10 years ago. The Omron I am using is exacting, it won't take a BP unless I'm relaxed, have the cuff on properly, and sit still. I trust it implicitly. Nurses slap a cuff on my arm after I race to an appointment; my BP is always 120/70. Wrong. The cardiologist who implanted my ILR asked me to take my BP twice a day. [deleted excess length.] Back in the real world my BP is back to 145/85 where my body likes it. But my pulse rate is all screwed up. I NEVER had a heart rate of 85 to 95 before taking metoprolol; now it hits that for no reason. I don't like the way metoprolol is messing with my pulse. After metoprolol my pulse is 50 or so."

Jesse (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 22, 2018

"I have had several years adverse side effects, weight gain, tiredness, rhinitis all of which my doctor ignores. Needed other blood pressure meds to help. Would not be taking this if doctor would stop it."

6582rascal (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 17, 2018

Metoprolol Tartrate (metoprolol): "I have skin breakouts from this medication but I don't get migraines anymore or fast heartbeat."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) January 24, 2018

"Dropped systolic a bit, and diastolic in a week or two. But by third week I was experiencing consistent erectile dysfunction (ED). The occasional runs, stuffy nose and aches and pains are ok to live with, but consistent ED is not, at least for me. It just grows semi hard, half the size I really am, and takes 3-4 x longer. Interesting that the factory doesn't list this effect. I'm hoping doc switches me to bysytolic, very few side effects, maybe have my life back"

HANDYTIM (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 20, 2018

"I have been on Metoprolol 50 mg for 4 years to treat irregular heart beat and high blood pressure. I am a 58 years old Asian female, with normal weight. My blood pressure is now 130/80 but my pulse rate can be as low as 49, which my doctor told me to stop Metoprolol. My BP went 140/100 and pulse rate increased. I decided to resume Metoprolol 50 mg and my BP is normal again. I have started to do half an hour of high intensity exercise daily to achieve a better heart beat. I have no side effects whatever and I really love this medicine."

Yee Wah (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 7, 2017

Metoprolol Succinate ER (metoprolol): "I've only been on this med for three weeks; my b/p seems to be adjusting how ever it's normal or low at bedtime for example (110/46) (118/60) in the morning when I take it it's (178/90) 188/84) as the goes on it drops to (142/68) strange things happen to our bodies as we age .I'm going to continue taking it to see if my pressure become adjusted after three months I'll check the progress."

Loke (taken for less than 1 month) November 4, 2017

Lopressor (metoprolol): "I'v'e been taking Lopressor, 100mg, 1 tab twice daily for more years than I can remember... probably 20 or so, for hypertension. It seems, together with 2 other meds, i.e. dyazide and Altace, aka Ramipril, an ACE Inhibitor. they usually give me good BP readings. Recently, and I think it was more to do with dehydration... I had 2 SVT attacks within 60 or so days of each other.... and, again, if anything the lopressor probably did its best to prevent them... but it can't do everything. In short, this drug has been around a long time, and is a time-tested Beta Blocker."

NathanielA (taken for 10 years or more) October 30, 2017

Toprol-XL (metoprolol): "I had a transient ischemic attack (TIA) in March 17. I'm a 53 yo male. Always had higher heart rate and family history of high blood pressure. I could actually feel the TIA coming on over a few weeks, but I'm a tough guy. Several drugs tried and failed. Lisinipril damn near killed me with blood pressure of 175/133. Read a lot and switched to Toprol XL, no generic!!!! I take 50mg at night slow release. Feel great and few side effects. Pressures are good and heart rate is down. Sex still works and anxiety is cut in half. Good stuff. Takes a 1-2 week adjustment period. Relax and let it work."

Deano12 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 7, 2017

Metoprolol Succinate ER (metoprolol): "I'm supposed to take this medication for my blood pressure but a year and half later the pressure is still the same even though doctor increase the dose from 50 to 100 mg. Seems like the doctor care more about my heart rate (that is Lower than before so is working), but my blood pressure is ever the same, especially the night time is ever 8 around 85/140 (sometimes 150 or 160). I told this many times but he still thinking about the BPM..so at the end the BPM decrease but not the blood pressure so is working 50/50. PS I gained more than 10lb after using the metoprolol"

ABarbato October 3, 2017

Metoprolol Succinate ER (metoprolol): "Went to have foot injury x-rayed at urgent care, and spiked a blood pressure of 195/110 maybe due to pain.Was given this by IV in the ER, then pills for 3-4 nights at home. It lowered my b.p. by like 20 points/day, and I was fine for 2 days, but then had episodes of exhaustion to the point where I had to lie on the couch for hours to recover from simple housework like washing pots. Was also short of breath like I'd run 5 miles. Swallowing felt weird. Got disoriented while driving. It's a 9 on effectiveness, but can't tolerate the side effects. Am 63/F."

Rocky74 (taken for less than 1 month) September 28, 2017

Toprol-XL (metoprolol): "I have tried the generic version (extended release) after using brand name Toprol XL. The generic did not work well for me. After a few days it felt like I hadn't taken the medicine. Toprol XL works great, and when i swapped back to the original I felt great again. There must be some difference in the release between the two. This med brings the BP into 120's over low to mid 70's range where I was reg 140's/90's. It also helps bpm from mid 90's down to upper 70's."

ChristophA September 16, 2017

"Controls my blood pressure with mild side affects such as dry mouth and dizziness that did go away after a few days of taking it."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 16, 2017

Metoprolol Tartrate (metoprolol): "White spots In my mouth. It only works for ten hours and then my ears start ringing telling me that my blood pressure is up again."

Patty Mae (taken for less than 1 month) August 16, 2017

"Prescribed this for heart palpitations/tachycardia associated with extreme anxiety and panic attacks. Also had rather elevated blood pressure which I think runs in the family. Felt awful for weeks prior to being prescribed the medication, but once I started taking it things improved VERY quickly. Resting heart rate and blood pressure both down, no more palpitations, far less health anxiety. Doctor described it as having a "calming effect" and I definitely agree. No side effects to speak of thus far about 2 months in. 90mg immediate release once per day."

kza (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 6, 2017

Metoprolol Succinate ER (metoprolol): "Have very frequent Premature ventricular contractions (PVCs), heart testing said my heart is fine. Put me on metoprolol succinate ER. Been taking for a year now & PVCs are still as often as they were. I see/feel no improvement. Taking at night & valsartan in a.m experiencing BP drops. My BP is very high in the morning, like 167/110, before I take my daily dosage of valsartan. Within 2 hours of taking it my BP hasn't improved, then at about 5 hours after I take my BP med my BP plummets to like 71/54, sometimes lower. I fall asleep without even realizing it when it happens & sleep for about half hour. BP readings, about 4 times daily, shows PVCs at all times with an infrequent no PVC reading. Not convinced this med is doing anything for me."

momom (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 20, 2017

Metoprolol Succinate ER (metoprolol): "I had high blood pressure going up to 170/ 95 and after 3 weeks of use with 50 mg. My blood pressure went down to normal levels 120/ 80. No side effects at all. Works well for me especially when I compare it with previous used medicine ( Lisinopril) which gave me a bad cough."

Pauca (taken for less than 1 month) July 17, 2017

Metoprolol Tartrate (metoprolol): "Had first bypass op in 1982, second a triple in 1992. I have been taking 50 mg tablet per day (for 25 years now age 84. I take half the tablet in morning and half at night ( my own method ) have found this best for me. Have a little Fibrillation from time to time, in the form of hard heavy beat lasting about half hour. My blood pressure is good tending a little to the low side, pulse normally around 55-60. Have not had side affects that I am aware of ?"

JohnB. June 18, 2017

"Been on this Rx for years. It is the only one that works to control my high blood pressure"

Stacy in FL (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 6, 2017

"At first Metropolol seemed to work. Blood pressure was down, heart rate 55 beats per min. The longer I took the drug, the more side effects. at two months, my feet and legs developed tingling and numbness. Then, my fingers and hands developed the tingling. At three months of taking the drug, swallowing became very difficult. Food would get stuck in my throat and I would not be able to talk or dislodge food. Then, the insomnia started. I would wake at about 2 am and not be able to go back to sleep for several hours. Always tired, then would want to eat. I gained 20 pounds in a couple of months. When I would wake in the night because my arms would be asleep, that was the last straw. I stopped taking the drug and got a different prescription."

makeitso (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 14, 2017

"I've been on 50mg of Toprol/Metoprolol for 12 years, along with 2.5 mg Amlodopine, 81 mg Aspirin and 80 mg Atorvastatin; I'm pleased to say my BP is regularly in the 130/70 range, pulse 58-63 and I have had ABSOLUTELY no negative side effects!"

ArmyBlue (taken for 10 years or more) April 10, 2017

"I've been on metoprolol 100mg once a day a year ago never had side effects now since my BP has been ok around 120/83-130/95 it's been lowered to 25mg an I've been having side effects such as low heart rate sometimes as low as 52 bpm really concerned about it other than that metroprolol has worked for me is this normal?"

Ashley1217 March 24, 2017