User Reviews for Metoprolol

Also known as: Lopressor, Metoprolol Succinate ER, Metoprolol Tartrate, Toprol-XL

Learn more about Metoprolol.

Metoprolol Rating Summary

6.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 346 medications used in the treatment of High Blood Pressure.

Reviews for Metoprolol to treat High Blood Pressure

"At first Metropolol seemed to work. Blood pressure was down, heart rate 55 beats per min. The longer I took the drug, the more side effects. at two months, my feet and legs developed tingling and numbness. Then, my fingers and hands developed the tingling. At three months of taking the drug, swallowing became very difficult. Food would get stuck in my throat and I would not be able to talk or dislodge food. Then, the insomnia started. I would wake at about 2 am and not be able to go back to sleep for several hours. Always tired, then would want to eat. I gained 20 pounds in a couple of months. When I would wake in the night because my arms would be asleep, that was the last straw. I stopped taking the drug and got a different prescription."

makeitso (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 14, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been on 50mg of Toprol/Metoprolol for 12 years, along with 2.5 mg Amlodopine, 81 mg Aspirin and 80 mg Atorvastatin; I'm pleased to say my BP is regularly in the 130/70 range, pulse 58-63 and I have had ABSOLUTELY no negative side effects!"

ArmyBlue (taken for 10 years or more) April 10, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been on metoprolol 100mg once a day a year ago never had side effects now since my BP has been ok around 120/83-130/95 it's been lowered to 25mg an I've been having side effects such as low heart rate sometimes as low as 52 bpm really concerned about it other than that metroprolol has worked for me is this normal?"

Ashley1217 March 24, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Works well with rapid heart beat caused by "Dumping Syndrome" which began after having very major surgery on my Stomach and Duodenam. The name of the surgery was Pyloroplasty, Vagotomy (severing the vagus nerve) and Hiatel Hernia repair back in 1985, followed by removal of my Gallbladder and appendix two years later which exacerbated the effects of rapid heart beat. Metoprolol along with Ativan sublingual, keeps the "Dumping Syndrome" in check most of the time, until I eat something that doesn't agree with my anatomy, (Creamy sauces, alchohol, milk, etc.)"

TOJO54 March 18, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been taking metoprolol for around 2 years, just recently going from 50mg to 100mg. My BP was crazy high with tachycardia quite bad beforehand. They have helped me a hell of a lot but l do have tiredness almost daily. I had no tachycardia bouts until recently and also weird fluttering feeling over the past few weeks. BP was still up a little so my doc has advised me to take 100mg which l have only started taking over the past 24 hours. So far no fluttering or palpitation feeling! I also no longer suffer with migraines!!!"

becca rae (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 15, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had several trips to the Hospital for GERD Attacks. The doctor said it was cause of the Metoprolol. My doctor changed it and I had no more Gerd Attacks."

alexis7092 March 6, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Metoprolol Succinate ER (metoprolol): "After I started to to this I couldn't see, Heart was racing, arms and legs were numb, and I went from over 181/100 to 105/79 and lite Head."

Azdal February 24, 2017

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My BP is sometimes still a bit high. I have some eye strain, but the worst thing is the strange, vivid dreams that occur nightly. I used to take a different beta blocker, but the insurance company won't cover it."

The Bell (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 23, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was prescribed this medicine just before my triple by-pass heart surgery in April 2014 and it has worked fairly good for my high blood pressure and has worked wonders for my aura type migraine problem. I was having up to 5 migraine spells per week before my surgery to none since my surgery when I started taking Metoprolol. I am very grateful the migraine problem has been reduced to almost none. I do have a few side-effects from this drug, but I can tolerate them ok. Nothing could be as bad as those migraines I had, so the side-effects don't bother me."

Oldmanwinter (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 21, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Metoprolol Succinate ER (metoprolol): "I was on 50 mg's of Metropolol twice per day and had a few high readings of 200/80 due to anxiety. Doctor raised me to 100 ER twice per day plus Lorsartan. I feel like a zombie. It has lowered my BP but I have several side effects listed such as dizziness, tiredness, confused at times, dry mouth, burping and a few other side effects. I have been on this high dose of ER for 10 days and I don't think I will be able to take this drug in such a high dose much longer. The doctor wants me to go for heart tests to find out why my pressure went so high. High blood pressure runs in my family and I could stand to lose 20 pounds which I am trying to do."

Hope to feel better soon February 21, 2017

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Stay away from this drug. Real bad side effects. Tired all day. Anxiety, panic attacks. Can't breath. Short of breath. Feels like your organs is shutting down slowly. They should lock the Drs up for prescribing this Poison medicine. Wow. I thought I was dying. And I think I came close. It messes with your eye sight and all. If you die and take this medicine. Its the reason. They will say you died from natural causes to stop a law suit. But this medicine is dangerous. I wad only taking half of 25mg dang near killed me"

Liladrian (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 20, 2017

31 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Don't take this medication it has too many side effects that can harm you. Try to alter your life style and diet . Causes severe stomach pain, fatigue, increased urination, etc. Best to see a MD that takes a more holistic approach instead of pushing pill. Drug reps give kick backs to doctors for pushing their medications. Lobster dinners etc. I know I went to some of the dinners, It is a crime that pills are prescribed for so many people with side effects that can kill you or destroy your liver or pancreas. You are better off dealing with the high blood pressure than the side effects."

WLI (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 15, 2017

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I run regularly and have a resting heart rate in the low 50's. I'm 56 years old and have been on metoprolol for about 3 years until last week. I also recently gave up caffeine. Last week I was sitting with a client and fainted. After a trip to the ER and an overnight hospital stay, I learned it may not be a good idea for anyone who runs regularly with a low resting heart rate to take a beta blocker. It could've have been a much more expensive lesson 20 minutes earlier while I was driving. Now I am searching for the best BP medicine for runners.. Any suggestion would be appreciated."

Andy1960 February 13, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I started taking this on December 27th. Took it for almost 2 weeks. Woke up first night with shakes and nausea and they got worse from there. Have been off of it for about 4 weeks and still having trouble with shakes, nausea and muscle cramps in my feet and legs. Doctor has given me anxiety medicine lorazepam and it helps but don't like being dependent on it. My OB doctor has put me on estrogen on top of that. Don't know what to do to get back to normal."

Sorry I took this! (taken for less than 1 month) February 4, 2017

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"66 yo Male. Taking 25 mg 1 x day for starters. Slight unsteadiness on my feet while walking. Occasional anxiety attacks that last about 1/2 minute. Has not had any effect on sexual performance, in fact I think it has helped. Better than lisinopril (bad heartburn and stomach burning) and Calan."

Jim0523 (taken for less than 1 month) January 18, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Put on this mid-year after a tough year of health issues left me with increased anxiety,HR & BP. Told to expect no side effects. I can directly connect a horrible change in my daily life to this medication. I was told I was in menopause and put on hormones! -Scorching, sweaty, humiliating hot flashes -Debilitating fatigue and brain fog -Insomnia -Zero energy -Gained 20 pounds -Massive Breast ENLARGEMENT! -Awful swelling -Hoarse voice, constant cough -Major depression -Change in eyesight -No interest in life Ridiculous! All along I thought it was my fault and menopause! Add hormones to that and it's a disaster. I was VERY close to giving up. This medication is old, outdated and unacceptable."

DRxNewz December 16, 2016

28 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Toprol-XL (metoprolol): "Wow!!!!! I have not been feeling well for a long time. Until Toprol lx 25mg. My head is clear. I can think straight. I dont have any anxiety. My work performance is at it greatest level. Even my sexual drive is back. I get up rested in the morning and fell no fatigue. I dont know about anyone else but I'm glad to take this medication."

Travis s. December 2, 2016

33 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Toprol-XL (metoprolol): "I am a 19 year old healthy female, 5'2 138 pounds, however I was diagnosed with high blood pressure. I was having readings as high as 165/106. My doctor prescribed me this, 25MG once before I go to bed every night. I was on this for about two weeks before I started noticing a lot of hair falling out. Thank God she took me off before it got too noticeable, but other than this side affect I feel it was a pretty decent medication, it definitely lowered my blood pressure."

Kayla Nevins (taken for less than 1 month) November 15, 2016

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been on metoprolol er 12.5mg since September 20th. The first month was great then on October 21st my resting heart rate went from 61 to 70 and when I walk it suddenly goes to 140 for no reason. I work out 6 days a week and it doesn't make any sence to me. Going back to my doctor tomorrow to figure it out. I just don't see why all of a sudden it would make things 10x worse. I didn't take it today to see if it would help. I was able to exersice without my heart rate sky rocketing to ridiculous numbers. This is the first medication like this I have ever taken. Plus the weight gain is ridiculous. I lost 15 lbs before starting this medication and less then 2 months I gained it all back."

Anonymous November 3, 2016

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Actually raised my heart rate from 70s to mid 80s to 100+ and did nothing for my blood pressure. Also gave me side effect of flashing lights at night in left eye. Wound up in ER after taking this drug for 3 months and LOST 14 pounds. Dr. Said impossible that this was due to metopropol, but as soon as I changed to Bystolic, heart rate decreased to 60s and 70s and weight stopped dropping. Guess I was allergic to it."

Iloveevan (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 23, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Metoprolol Succinate ER (metoprolol): "Metoprolol 75mg/daily. Dizzy & off balance, nausea, weight gain, joint pain, extreme fatigue with breathlessness, hair loss. I accidently cut down on taking it when I had the flu. Lost 10 lbs due to hardly eating for 1 1/2 weeks. Noticed that I was thinking more clearly, had no nausea, joint pain was pretty much gone and I had more energy. Checked bp and it was still in the normal range. Am weaning myself off and am down to 25mg daily as I continue working to diet. Easier to lose weight now, too. I can breathe much more normally now and have better balance."

MJEBS. October 3, 2016

35 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been taking 50mg of metoprolol XL for about a yr. for hypertension ... while it has helped lower my B/P, I have side effects ... issues like hoarseness for no apparent reason, occasional fatigue & occasional dizziness ... at times lowers my heart rate that I feel dizzy like passing out (especially in mornings) I will talk to my pcp see if can switch / experiment with another med. In my opinion, all B/P meds have side effects"

Rocky96 September 29, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had my blood pressure go up to 180/120. It crept up on me and I have always had tachycardia. So far it has brought my pressure down some and my heart rate a little. But it makes me very fatigued and I feel like my breath is taken away from me some times. A plus is I have ataxia and it does not make that worse. But whoa the dreams are something else."

Dragon fawn September 13, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I'm giving this med a 7 so far just because I haven't had any real side effects with it, like I did with another bp med (can't remember the name). However, @ 25mg I still have bouts of high readings, so when I see my PCP this week, she might raise it to 50mg. I will say that I prefer to see a Cardiologist for this because I am terrified of exercising. Yes, I know exercise and weight loss can lower my bp to healthy levels, but I can't understand I can exert myself while having high bp. Shouldn't it first be controlled with meds first before exercising?"

gracerods September 4, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Metoprolol Succinate ER (metoprolol): "Taking for blood pressure..white coat hypertension.....usually 180/100 with pulse 104 in doctors office...my anxiety down...bp now usually 114/70 with pulse 70...taking 50mg. Only side effect very tired..hopefully will go away."

Counting12 August 25, 2016