User Reviews for Metoprolol to treat High Blood Pressure

Also known as: Metoprolol Tartrate, Metoprolol Succinate ER, Toprol-XL, Lopressor, Kapspargo Sprinkle

Metoprolol Rating Summary

5.7/10 Average Rating

Compare all 287 medications used in the treatment of High Blood Pressure.

Reviews for Metoprolol

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 2, 2020

Metoprolol Succinate ER (metoprolol): “I’ve been on metoprolol for almost a year now. I am only 24 and high blood pressure runs in my family, my mother had a stroke from high blood pressure and my grandfather passed from it. I had high blood pressure with my daughter but it went away after I had her and then I had my son and it never went away. I was on bystolic and it worked great for me but was to expensive so I was put on metoprolol 25 mg and it didn’t really help my bp so I was prescribed a higher dosage to 50 mg. I am constantly tired, I’ve gained weight, and I am having night sweats. If I don’t take it my heart starts hurting and I hate it. The only good thing about it for me is that it does help with my bp and my chest pain.”

Nicholas · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 13, 2020

“I have high blood pressure from anxiety. This medicine metoprolol lowers my heart rate a lot, but not my blood pressure. Puts my pulse very low and I’m always tired. Not a very good drug. Clonidine works better for me personally.”

mastergpat · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 25, 2020

“6 year user of metoprolol after stents. 68 yr old white male, overweight: My dose is 100mg of ER version. My heartbeat has fallen to 40-50 bpm when I upped dosage to 1.5x. I am gonna taper it off after checking into newest recommendations. Turns out that after 2 years, it is about useless. Will continue ACE inhibitor and Diuretic. Did not realize tiredness was a result of Metoprolol.”

Goober 5 · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 13, 2020

Metoprolol Succinate ER (metoprolol): “My primary put me on 25 mg per day due to palpations that started after going off of HRT patch after 25 years. Cardiologist put me on Chlorothiladone since BP was running in mid 130’s /90. The first few days was fine then my eyes were always red and itchy, upset stomach, out of breath so much that I couldn’t even walk across the room, and terrible insomnia and horrible nightmares! Asked if I could reduce it to half. Three weeks later and nothing changed so weaning off by taking every other day for three weeks. This is horrible so now I know why my cardiologist wanted me on thiazide for a month to see if palpitations stopped after lowering BP. By the way, my BP is still the same. I don’t have insurance”

Anonymous December 29, 2019

“Getting off this medication is brutal. I only took it for 2 months and I was never sicker. Side effects of dizziness blurred vision.tachycardia chest pain muscle weakness and parathesias. Getting off it took about 6 months with rebound effects of jitters sweating tachycardia at random. It was no different than getting off heroin. Twice while in public the side effects were so severe other people called an ambulance and I went to the ER. This medication is lethal, at least for me. I heard some people say they felt really good on it??? You don't know until you try a med how you will react. I put it on my allergy list. There is a light at the end of the tunnel when you are getting off it. It takes time and should be done with medical supervision. It took me 6 months to get over the rebound effects. I feel like a drug addict that survived rehab and made it through!!! Hang in there and God Bless!!!”

Betty December 10, 2019

Metoprolol Tartrate (metoprolol): “Have taken Atenolol 25 mg for about 30 years. Had episode of AFib. Had a Cardioversion. It worked, but elected to have Cardiac Ablation. Went back to Atenolol 25 mg twice a day and heart rate went into the 40's. Felt awful, light headed. Dr. took me off Atenolol and put me on Metropol ER 25 mg twice a day. Initially, no problems, then bad effects. Can't sleep. would go to bed at 11 pm and wake up at 3 am. Heart was knocking, heart rate in 80's. Experienced internal heat. Felt like my body was on fire. If I did sleep, had nightmares. Body feels wired. Dr. changed me to Metropol plain. Not extended release but upped dosage to 50 mg twice a day. By evening, on 2nd pill and side effects hit me. Up at 1:30 am, terrible internal heat, low sugar. Drank coke to raise sugar. Have decided I can't take this pill anymore. Took a Benadryl at 2 am, by 2:30, the heat is letting up. Pulse is 50 - 44. BP is 170/76.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 5, 2019

“BP 233/138 and metoprolol had no effect on it what so ever.”

Tim · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 2, 2019

“I have congestive heart failure and this drug was prescribed but my blood pressure was never high. I'm trying to wean myself off of this drug and as I do my blood pressure goes down. My heart rate is fine. But my doctor keeps telling me that she wants me to eventually be on 200 mg a day. I can't imagine even being able to function in society if I take 200 mg of this drug. The fatigue is amazing! I sometimes sleep 9 hours a day and then when I attempt to walk 20 yds I have to stop. But as I'm weaning myself down to 12.5 mg, my energy is coming back. But I do fear what effect it might have on my congestive heart failure.”

Liz · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 25, 2019

“I started this medicine 3 months ago I used to have long beautiful hair now I've lost almost all of my hair I have bald spots I pray it grows back.”

BlueIce November 18, 2019

Metoprolol Succinate ER (metoprolol): “This is the worst blood pressure medicine I have ever taken. It cause me erectile dysfunction, memory loss, tiredness. it also gives you blurry vision. Stay away from this bad medicine. When I stopped taking this metoprolol Succinate my erection got better, I felt much better and energetic. This medicine will definitely harm your body....”

Lulubell · Taken for less than 1 month November 17, 2019

Metoprolol Succinate ER (metoprolol): “Took atenolol 25 for 34 years. For high blood pressure and rapid heart rate. The doc change me to metoprolol ER (extended release) so far good supposed to take 50mg started 25mg to wean into it . Nothing bad, feel good only 2nd day, so let see what this can do.”

hypervigilant1 · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 9, 2019

Toprol-XL (metoprolol): “Taken for 4 yrs on low dose 25 mg. It helps but my heart rate stays low and after taking it I feel dizzy and short of breath. My bp was borderline high and my Dr prescribed it at 100 mg daily which was unbelievable. It doesn't take much if your young and relatively healthy”

Rick · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 5, 2019

Metoprolol Tartrate (metoprolol): “Been taking Metoprolol 50mg bid and Diltiazem 120mg bid and Eliquis 5mg bid for HBP and A- Fib keeps. BP under control but pulse seems too low anywhere from 40 to 60 on days of normal sinus rhythms. Makes me feel light headed and concerns me lately. I cut 50mg in half of Metoprolol that seems to do the trick where BP goes to 100 over 80 and pulse stays around 55 or 60 I hate that feeling when pulse is in the 40 s. If I don't take these meds my A-Fib starts up and plus can get up to 180 scary feeling. So yes it helps a lot, but I need to ask DR about decreasing dose of Metoprolol maybe.”

Sandy · Taken for 5 to 10 years October 26, 2019

“My doctor had me on metoprolol for approximately 6 years. Did great for lowering my blood pressure which was very high. They have now taken me off of it because my pulse rate was in the high 30s to low 40s. I now wonder if I should have stayed on it because they have been working for over 8 months trying to get my blood pressure under control. They finally had me wear a heart monitor and I found out that I have a heart arrhythmia. This is one of the pills they will probably want to put me back on and I can't take it because of the low pulse rate. Damned-if-you-do damned-if-you-don't”

Scooter · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 17, 2019

“My blood pressure is 204 /114 - too high and it has been high in hospital. Metoprolol lower heart rate a little not blood pressure”

Ebj1 October 12, 2019

“I am 25 years old and my bp is normal all the time. My cardiologists dr. Told me I have a weak heartbeat so, he prescribed this pill metopolol succinate 25mg ER. First week of taking this pill, I felt nothing . By the second week of taking it, my skin feel itchy and felt like I've bitten by an ant all over my body. I also felt severe tiredness when I take it in the morning. I can't fight it and end up falling asleep. I also feel when I pressed my head or put pressure on it, it hurts. I also wake in the middle of the night with a horrible dreams felt like my heart beats faster. My cardiologists doctor told me to take it ay night, and so I did. It works ok. but I want to stop taking it before my body gets use to it. I am healthy and do not have any illness , do not drink and smoke and active. Because of a diagnose of weak heartbeat after giving birth then I have this pill . I hope I can read a review that somebody stops taking it.”

Tacos mom · Taken for 10 years or more October 9, 2019

“I have taken this metoprolol medicine for 15 years now with great benefits, until the past 3-4 months. I take the brand by Aurobindo Pharmaceutical. I contacted the company today and waiting on a call back to see if something has changed. My bp always stayed under 120/80 Normally around 117/74. I am changing the manufacturer today to see if it is the medicine or if I have a major problem. My bp is staying like 160/95. Has anyone else had this issue in the past few months and using this manufacturer?”

baronzq · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 5, 2019

“I've been taking Metoprolol for quite some time now. I have very high blood pressure. I was taking half of a 50mg tablet daily. But doctor has since increased it to 50 mg to help lower bp. In addition to high bp, I have Sleep Apnea. I've gone to have an EGD under general anesthesia 2x now and they are cancelled because my bp is too high and a high risk. My Primary Care Doc is really after me to use the CPCP for Sleep Apnea. I never use it for more than a few days or so. I don't like it and will not commit to long term use. Since increasing the Toprol, I have been feeling more lightheaded and my eyesight seems mildly shaky and I feel a little more hopeless lately. I've got to call my doctor and tell him about these issues and figure out how to lower the dosage of this med because it's starting to really bother me. Any advice welcome. other meds: Losartan , Indapimide, Citalopram, Felodipine, and Omeprazole. All are taken daily.”

TT · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 1, 2019

“This drug gave me horrible side effects I'd rather take nothing then use this. I was always dizzy everything was a blur etc.”

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 1, 2019

“Had a ruptured brain aneurysm 3 years ago. Been in metoprolol Succinate 25 mg. ever since. Not one problem. I’m shocked at the issues I’m reading about with this. It’s been fine for controlling my BP.”

Khaled · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 14, 2019

“This is an excellent drug especially if you have tachycardia. I think not sufficient alone for control of hypertension, needs other medication as combination therapy”

Joy · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 30, 2019

“I've been taking 12.5 mg twice . Bp still not under control”

Sam89 · Taken for less than 1 month August 29, 2019

“Was on a quarter of a 25mg metoprolol pill for a week. I felt like I was slowly dying. I had difficulty breathing just walking to the bathroom, nausea, headaches, I felt starving, was shaky and uneasy on my feet, was mentally out of it, my heart rate would jump from 80 to 120 throughout the day for unknown reasons and I felt like I was going to pass out at any moment. My psychiatrist put me on it to slow my heart rate to try and help my anxiety. I had been on it as a teen and was fine, I guess something changed since then. I’ve been off it for a few weeks now and I’m still feeling unwell, my eyes are easily strained and I’m getting migraines, I just want this nightmare to end, I hope I feel like myself again soon.”

Taybay · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 23, 2019

Metoprolol Succinate ER (metoprolol): “Prescribed for my extremely high blood pressure and constant PVC's. Has lowered my blood pressure but has done nothing for my PVC's.”

Anonymous August 21, 2019

“I've been on this almost a year for high blood pressure and an uneven heart beat. Since I started my heart beat is fine but ended up in ER numerous times for sky rocketing blood pressure. VERY EXPENSIVE! I thought maybe by switching to the brand name I could fix it but after several months on it found out AstraZeneca doesn't even make it anymore so I was paying 6x as much for, basically, the generic rubbish. Finally, a wise cardiologist took me off the time release and put me on the 2x a day dosage of the tartrate and my blood pressure has been really good since then. If you're having any problems with it bouncing around I would suggest switching. Due to all of the issues this has caused I've lost a bunch of weight and am exercising and on a low salt diet. Hoping to get off of this soon. Oh, and DO NOT take the time release twice a day even if your dr tells you to. That should only be taken once a day. It's been a long road but I've learned a lot. Do your research.”