User Reviews for Metoprolol to treat High Blood Pressure (Page 4)

Also known as: Metoprolol Tartrate, Metoprolol Succinate ER, Toprol-XL, Lopressor, Kapspargo Sprinkle

Metoprolol Rating Summary

5.6/10 Average Rating

Compare all 287 medications used in the treatment of High Blood Pressure.

Reviews for Metoprolol

momom · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 20, 2017

Metoprolol Succinate ER (metoprolol): “Have very frequent Premature ventricular contractions (PVCs), heart testing said my heart is fine. Put me on metoprolol succinate ER. Been taking for a year now & PVCs are still as often as they were. I see/feel no improvement. Taking at night & valsartan in a.m experiencing BP drops. My BP is very high in the morning, like 167/110, before I take my daily dosage of valsartan. Within 2 hours of taking it my BP hasn't improved, then at about 5 hours after I take my BP med my BP plummets to like 71/54, sometimes lower. I fall asleep without even realizing it when it happens & sleep for about half hour. BP readings, about 4 times daily, shows PVCs at all times with an infrequent no PVC reading. Not convinced this med is doing anything for me.”

Pauca · Taken for less than 1 month July 17, 2017

Metoprolol Succinate ER (metoprolol): “I had high blood pressure going up to 170/ 95 and after 3 weeks of use with 50 mg. My blood pressure went down to normal levels 120/ 80. No side effects at all. Works well for me especially when I compare it with previous used medicine ( Lisinopril) which gave me a bad cough.”

JohnB. June 18, 2017

Metoprolol Tartrate (metoprolol): “Had first bypass op in 1982, second a triple in 1992. I have been taking 50 mg tablet per day (for 25 years now age 84. I take half the tablet in morning and half at night ( my own method ) have found this best for me. Have a little Fibrillation from time to time, in the form of hard heavy beat lasting about half hour. My blood pressure is good tending a little to the low side, pulse normally around 55-60. Have not had side affects that I am aware of ?”

Stacy in FL · Taken for 5 to 10 years June 6, 2017

“Been on this Rx for years. It is the only one that works to control my high blood pressure”

makeitso · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 14, 2017

“At first Metropolol seemed to work. Blood pressure was down, heart rate 55 beats per min. The longer I took the drug, the more side effects. at two months, my feet and legs developed tingling and numbness. Then, my fingers and hands developed the tingling. At three months of taking the drug, swallowing became very difficult. Food would get stuck in my throat and I would not be able to talk or dislodge food. Then, the insomnia started. I would wake at about 2 am and not be able to go back to sleep for several hours. Always tired, then would want to eat. I gained 20 pounds in a couple of months. When I would wake in the night because my arms would be asleep, that was the last straw. I stopped taking the drug and got a different prescription.”

ArmyBlue · Taken for 10 years or more April 10, 2017

“I've been on 50mg of Toprol/Metoprolol for 12 years, along with 2.5 mg Amlodopine, 81 mg Aspirin and 80 mg Atorvastatin; I'm pleased to say my BP is regularly in the 130/70 range, pulse 58-63 and I have had ABSOLUTELY no negative side effects!”

Ashley1217 March 24, 2017

“I've been on metoprolol 100mg once a day a year ago never had side effects now since my BP has been ok around 120/83-130/95 it's been lowered to 25mg an I've been having side effects such as low heart rate sometimes as low as 52 bpm really concerned about it other than that metroprolol has worked for me is this normal?”

TOJO54 March 18, 2017

“Works well with rapid heart beat caused by "Dumping Syndrome" which began after having very major surgery on my Stomach and Duodenam. The name of the surgery was Pyloroplasty, Vagotomy (severing the vagus nerve) and Hiatel Hernia repair back in 1985, followed by removal of my Gallbladder and appendix two years later which exacerbated the effects of rapid heart beat. Metoprolol along with Ativan sublingual, keeps the "Dumping Syndrome" in check most of the time, until I eat something that doesn't agree with my anatomy, (Creamy sauces, alchohol, milk, etc.)”

becca rae · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 15, 2017

“I have been taking metoprolol for around 2 years, just recently going from 50mg to 100mg. My BP was crazy high with tachycardia quite bad beforehand. They have helped me a hell of a lot but l do have tiredness almost daily. I had no tachycardia bouts until recently and also weird fluttering feeling over the past few weeks. BP was still up a little so my doc has advised me to take 100mg which l have only started taking over the past 24 hours. So far no fluttering or palpitation feeling! I also no longer suffer with migraines!!!”

alexis7092 March 6, 2017

“I had several trips to the Hospital for GERD Attacks. The doctor said it was cause of the Metoprolol. My doctor changed it and I had no more Gerd Attacks.”

Azdal February 24, 2017

Metoprolol Succinate ER (metoprolol): “After I started to to this I couldn't see, Heart was racing, arms and legs were numb, and I went from over 181/100 to 105/79 and lite Head.”

The Bell · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 23, 2017

“My BP is sometimes still a bit high. I have some eye strain, but the worst thing is the strange, vivid dreams that occur nightly. I used to take a different beta blocker, but the insurance company won't cover it.”

Oldmanwinter · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 21, 2017

“I was prescribed this medicine just before my triple by-pass heart surgery in April 2014 and it has worked fairly good for my high blood pressure and has worked wonders for my aura type migraine problem. I was having up to 5 migraine spells per week before my surgery to none since my surgery when I started taking Metoprolol. I am very grateful the migraine problem has been reduced to almost none. I do have a few side-effects from this drug, but I can tolerate them ok. Nothing could be as bad as those migraines I had, so the side-effects don't bother me.”

Hope to feel better soon February 21, 2017

Metoprolol Succinate ER (metoprolol): “I was on 50 mg's of Metropolol twice per day and had a few high readings of 200/80 due to anxiety. Doctor raised me to 100 ER twice per day plus Lorsartan. I feel like a zombie. It has lowered my BP but I have several side effects listed such as dizziness, tiredness, confused at times, dry mouth, burping and a few other side effects. I have been on this high dose of ER for 10 days and I don't think I will be able to take this drug in such a high dose much longer. The doctor wants me to go for heart tests to find out why my pressure went so high. High blood pressure runs in my family and I could stand to lose 20 pounds which I am trying to do.”

Liladrian · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 20, 2017

“Stay away from this drug. Real bad side effects. Tired all day. Anxiety, panic attacks. Can't breath. Short of breath. Feels like your organs is shutting down slowly. They should lock the Drs up for prescribing this Poison medicine. Wow. I thought I was dying. And I think I came close. It messes with your eye sight and all. If you die and take this medicine. Its the reason. They will say you died from natural causes to stop a law suit. But this medicine is dangerous. I wad only taking half of 25mg dang near killed me”

WLI · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 15, 2017

“Don't take this medication it has too many side effects that can harm you. Try to alter your life style and diet . Causes severe stomach pain, fatigue, increased urination, etc. Best to see a MD that takes a more holistic approach instead of pushing pill. Drug reps give kick backs to doctors for pushing their medications. Lobster dinners etc. I know I went to some of the dinners, It is a crime that pills are prescribed for so many people with side effects that can kill you or destroy your liver or pancreas. You are better off dealing with the high blood pressure than the side effects.”

Andy1960 February 13, 2017

“I run regularly and have a resting heart rate in the low 50's. I'm 56 years old and have been on metoprolol for about 3 years until last week. I also recently gave up caffeine. Last week I was sitting with a client and fainted. After a trip to the ER and an overnight hospital stay, I learned it may not be a good idea for anyone who runs regularly with a low resting heart rate to take a beta blocker. It could've have been a much more expensive lesson 20 minutes earlier while I was driving. Now I am searching for the best BP medicine for runners.. Any suggestion would be appreciated.”

Sorry I took this! · Taken for less than 1 month February 4, 2017

“I started taking this on December 27th. Took it for almost 2 weeks. Woke up first night with shakes and nausea and they got worse from there. Have been off of it for about 4 weeks and still having trouble with shakes, nausea and muscle cramps in my feet and legs. Doctor has given me anxiety medicine lorazepam and it helps but don't like being dependent on it. My OB doctor has put me on estrogen on top of that. Don't know what to do to get back to normal.”

Jim0523 · Taken for less than 1 month January 18, 2017

“66 yo Male. Taking 25 mg 1 x day for starters. Slight unsteadiness on my feet while walking. Occasional anxiety attacks that last about 1/2 minute. Has not had any effect on sexual performance, in fact I think it has helped. Better than lisinopril (bad heartburn and stomach burning) and Calan.”

DRxNewz December 16, 2016

“Put on this mid-year after a tough year of health issues left me with increased anxiety,HR & BP. Told to expect no side effects. I can directly connect a horrible change in my daily life to this medication. I was told I was in menopause and put on hormones! -Scorching, sweaty, humiliating hot flashes -Debilitating fatigue and brain fog -Insomnia -Zero energy -Gained 20 pounds -Massive Breast ENLARGEMENT! -Awful swelling -Hoarse voice, constant cough -Major depression -Change in eyesight -No interest in life Ridiculous! All along I thought it was my fault and menopause! Add hormones to that and it's a disaster. I was VERY close to giving up. This medication is old, outdated and unacceptable.”

Travis s. December 2, 2016

Toprol-XL (metoprolol): “Wow!!!!! I have not been feeling well for a long time. Until Toprol lx 25mg. My head is clear. I can think straight. I dont have any anxiety. My work performance is at it greatest level. Even my sexual drive is back. I get up rested in the morning and fell no fatigue. I dont know about anyone else but I'm glad to take this medication.”

Kayla Nevins · Taken for less than 1 month November 15, 2016

Toprol-XL (metoprolol): “I am a 19 year old healthy female, 5'2 138 pounds, however I was diagnosed with high blood pressure. I was having readings as high as 165/106. My doctor prescribed me this, 25MG once before I go to bed every night. I was on this for about two weeks before I started noticing a lot of hair falling out. Thank God she took me off before it got too noticeable, but other than this side affect I feel it was a pretty decent medication, it definitely lowered my blood pressure.”

Anonymous November 3, 2016

“I have been on metoprolol er 12.5mg since September 20th. The first month was great then on October 21st my resting heart rate went from 61 to 70 and when I walk it suddenly goes to 140 for no reason. I work out 6 days a week and it doesn't make any sence to me. Going back to my doctor tomorrow to figure it out. I just don't see why all of a sudden it would make things 10x worse. I didn't take it today to see if it would help. I was able to exersice without my heart rate sky rocketing to ridiculous numbers. This is the first medication like this I have ever taken. Plus the weight gain is ridiculous. I lost 15 lbs before starting this medication and less then 2 months I gained it all back.”

Iloveevan · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 23, 2016

“Actually raised my heart rate from 70s to mid 80s to 100+ and did nothing for my blood pressure. Also gave me side effect of flashing lights at night in left eye. Wound up in ER after taking this drug for 3 months and LOST 14 pounds. Dr. Said impossible that this was due to metopropol, but as soon as I changed to Bystolic, heart rate decreased to 60s and 70s and weight stopped dropping. Guess I was allergic to it.”

MJEBS. October 3, 2016

Metoprolol Succinate ER (metoprolol): “Metoprolol 75mg/daily. Dizzy & off balance, nausea, weight gain, joint pain, extreme fatigue with breathlessness, hair loss. I accidently cut down on taking it when I had the flu. Lost 10 lbs due to hardly eating for 1 1/2 weeks. Noticed that I was thinking more clearly, had no nausea, joint pain was pretty much gone and I had more energy. Checked bp and it was still in the normal range. Am weaning myself off and am down to 25mg daily as I continue working to diet. Easier to lose weight now, too. I can breathe much more normally now and have better balance.”