User Reviews for Metoprolol to treat High Blood Pressure (Page 6)

Also known as: Metoprolol Tartrate, Metoprolol Succinate ER, Toprol-XL, Lopressor, Kapspargo Sprinkle

Metoprolol Rating Summary

5.6/10 Average Rating

Compare all 287 medications used in the treatment of High Blood Pressure.

Reviews for Metoprolol

peri46 · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 19, 2015

“Taken Metoprolol 1/2 25mg twice a day for 2 month for hypertension. Has lowered my BP, but, I have lower back pain, extreme fatigue, get light headed when doing anything. I don't know how anyone could exercise while taking this. I get winded walking from the car to the store, and gaining weight because of it.”

nckhella · Taken for 5 to 10 years May 2, 2015

“Was on 100mg for 5 yrs (+10mg Lisinopril) and my BP was 110/70, so it worked in lowering it from 150+something. However, I had soul-crushing fatigue and a foggy brain and couldn't get thru the day, it seriously affected my life. I had trouble regulating my body temperature and was pretty miserable. My heart beat out of my chest when I laid on my left side. I thought these side effects were the result of an acute illness that ended w/ me having HBP, but it turns out they were from Metoprolol. My doc switched me to Bystolic 5mg and I felt better within a couple days! Metoprolol worked to lower my BP, but I didn't like the side effects.”

LittleDeePurrez April 27, 2015

“I am a 25 year old female diagnosed with idiopathic hypertension and tachycardia. Was switched recently switched to 50mg metoprolol by my GP. Felt fine first four days and by fifth day started to experience vivid dreams, extreme anxiety after waking from sleep, and then started developing severe panic attacks and constant anxiousness. Was immediately taken off this medication and placed on bystolic 5mg. It has been 5 days since being taken off the medication and I am slowly losing sensation of anxiety but have some residual affects that I feel will take me a while to shake. It has been an incredibly traumatic experience. I do not recommend a beta blocker that crosses the blood brain barrier if it is not necessary.”

Ra'Chelle · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 19, 2015

“Been on metaprolol for about 3 years. Yes its an effective blood pressure lower but as a woman i have absolutely no sex drive, has gain about 30 pounds and cannot get rid of it. I also experience dizzy spells and lightheaded all the time. Don't know what to do!”

pablochako April 7, 2015

“I took way too much nasal decongestant.... my blood pressure and heart rate was shooting through the roof and I could not sleep at all for 3days, so the doctor put me on 25mg once a day and wow! what a diff! like night and day, calm anxiety too, but I have trouble sleeping sometimes”

captkrash · Taken for 5 to 10 years January 20, 2015

Metoprolol Succinate ER (metoprolol): “Worked fine in lowering and stabilizing blood pressure, however I switched off it because of sexual side effects. Fatigue, which is a problem for many, was no problem for me.”

captnjp61 January 14, 2015

Metoprolol Tartrate (metoprolol): “This medication does keep my hypertension under control and also seems to effect my heart rate by lowering it by an average of 15--20 bpm. I take other medications that tend to raise my heart rate, so this medication is useful for me, in that regard. I have found that this medication is very sensitive to dosing propery. I have found that if I miss only a couple of doses, my blood pressure and heart rate start to increase.”

Bobby Brown · Taken for less than 1 month January 7, 2015

“Initially received this at Urgent Care because I couldn't get into my doctor when my blood pressure was high at a employer mandated check. I was on it 3 weeks, 2 pills a day at 25 mg each. It brought the BP down by about 20 points. The side effects were cold feet mid morning, trouble sleeping, and the dosage did not last a full 12 hours. I could feel the heart slow down at about 1 hour after medicating and then start to speed up again at about 9 hours. I had to be careful not to take it close to bedtime because it made me feel hyper about 2-3 hours after the dose. Upon reflection, these side effects were less than some of the other stuff I've taken since.”

Redtini · Taken for 5 to 10 years December 30, 2014

Toprol-XL (metoprolol): “A health care professional and a person who takes this medication .”

Good experience June 24, 2014

Lopressor (metoprolol): “I took Lopressor for 24 years it worked very well in lowering my blood pressure and even calming my anxiety but lately it doesn't work on me very well as before, I guess the doctor will change it.”

jpchiesa · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 5, 2014

“After using metoprolol for 2 months not only did my blood pressure not go down but I had side effects that warranted my discontinuing it. I developed a pervasive cough and a sensation as if I had fluid in my lungs.”

TeriDe April 2, 2014

“I have been on Metoprolol ER 25MG for 10 months. It has worked great for my blood pressure and have had no migraines or headaches. I do get really tired in the afternoon, which I never use to. The worst part is I have gained 22 lb. and nothing I do reduces the weight. I work out 4 times a week, really watch what I eat and nothing helps.”

Hesperidean April 1, 2014

“I have taken Metroprolol (Beta Blocker) for years for high blood pressure caused by renal FMD. The negative side effect was primarily on cognitive function plus cold hands and feet. My short term memory really became poor. i experimented by taking myself off it for a few weeks and then putting myself back on it. I was able to measure a clear difference in cognitive function. I decided to refuse to take any more Metroprolol and my doctor found me Felodipine which is fine.”

Agirlandadream · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 7, 2014

“The medicine works great for high blood pressure, BUT.... I'm a college student in school for criminal justice. Ever since taking this medication I can't seem to keep my eyes open to study and I can't focus on course material. Where as I was so motivated until metroprolol.”

kaelem January 20, 2014

Toprol-XL (metoprolol): “Took this for migraines and seemed to work great for months. I had about a three month stretch when I noticed I had a constant low grade fever, achey and flu like symptoms. After much research determined it was due to the beta blocker. Went off them and felt my old self again.”

Little Mikester · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 11, 2014

“I have most of all the expierances that the gentleman here have/had. I am not having violent dreams, just wierd and very vivid. I have been on it it for 3 years and like some, since on it, I have not had relations with wife, I have also gained ALOT of weight. I have gone from a size 32-34 pants to a 50-52 pants. No matter what I do, whether it be diet or exercise or both, my weight keeps climbing. My emotions are all over the place. ”

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 15, 2013

Metoprolol Succinate ER (metoprolol): “I needed to take this due to another medication I was taking. Never needed to be on anything else. Very happy with results”

JenniferLynn1313 September 4, 2013

“I went to the hospital with a 150 resting heart rate freaked me out! After many tests no one could find anything wrong with my heart I did have high blood pressure a higher heart rate and I have SEVERE anxiety. They started me on 25 mg twice a day in the hospital and it did start to help with my heart rate and made me less anxious and when I finally went home I checked my blood pressure as well and it too was doing well..My only thing is I have vivid nightmares that are scary as hell and I just don't understand.”

rbh August 28, 2013

Lopressor (metoprolol): “Take pill every 12 hours. Works fine for me. Requested a beta-blocker because of the anti stage-fright effects. No more 'adrenaline dumps' in stressful situations. Helps me tremendously in my work and social interactions.”

dauna · Taken for less than 1 month August 6, 2013

Metoprolol Succinate ER (metoprolol): “Only took for 1 week, made me incredibly tired, could not function.”

JJ Seaton · Taken for 5 to 10 years July 24, 2013

Toprol-XL (metoprolol): “I have been taking Toprol-XL for about 8 years now. I started at 10mg and then 50mg and now at 100mg. It has brought my Blood Pressure under control - was 150 /80 - now at 130 /70 . Also brought down my Heart Rate, which was 88 resting to 60 resting. I am a light smoker who has asthma/mild COPD, metoprolol has shown no effect on these conditions as my PF and FEv1 has not changed . PROS: Reduced Blood Pressure to normal Reduced anxiety levels. CONS: Tired (mild), weight gain (mild) Erectile dysfunction (mild), Heart skipping a beat (occasional only and mild).”

scared of this drug · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 6, 2013

“After taking this medicine for a week or two I experienced numbness (lack of blood flow) to my fingers. Usually one or two fingers. Also happens with my toes. I have really high blood pressure and it does lower it but the numbness which usually lasts about 30 minutes, but returns throughout the day, is scary. Also it gives me terrible nightmares, very violent. I'll wake up wondering how I could even have such terrible dreams. It also makes me tired. I've stopped it several times and each time the bad symptoms go away completely in about 2 days. I'm going to have to stop taking it for good, the nightmares are just too terrible.”

April2013 · Taken for less than 1 month February 9, 2013

“This is my first experience with blood pressure medicine and it has left me scared to death. I took Metoprolol 50mg once in the evening for two weeks...I can honestly say, it was terrible. I was so tired that I could almost not make it through the days, but what was even worse was the depression and terrible violent nightmares...they were so vivid and they still upset me when I think about them. My doctor has switched me to Amlodipine 5mg, 1x day. It has been over two weeks and I am too scared to take it, but I know I need to do something. I am at such a loss about what to do.”

sassy1974 February 3, 2013

“Taking metoprolol for about 6 months now started out at 175 pounds and up to 196. Can't lose the weight for nothing. Medicine works great for my blood pressure but my weight gain is awful.”

RNJennRN January 26, 2013

“To those who commented that they cut their dose of XL or ER or CR, you cannot cut extended release or controlled release in half. This is dangerous. Instead call your doctor and have the dose changed. Extended release cut in half enters your blood stream way to fast and can cause serious issues.”